Scummies 2012 Nominations (Deadline For Noms)

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #575 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:26 pm

Post by zoraster »

my opinion is the more people in the winner group, the more acceptable to self-nom:

most enjoyable game: almost mandatory that it'll be a self-nom
best town: acceptable
best scum: somewhat iffy, but still okay
manipulator: very frowned upon.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #576 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:39 pm

Post by quadz08 »

I'm just going to throw in my two cents about Detective Mafia. I'm not interested in an argument; I just want to throw in a perspective of someone who was on the other side of the debate for the judges to consider.

I think the town played a decent game, but other than the Amrun lynch, everything led directly from the N1 actions. Nuwen was lynched because MoI tracked her to the roleblocked gunsmith. Had MoI been killed (as was our intent), that would never have happened. After the Amrun lynch followed (first day was a doubleday), the rest of the game was "follow plan"; it was more-or-less broken open at that point by night action plans and PoE. Scum played very incohesively, and by no means do I think we deserved a win in that game, but I do question that this town was really one of the best towns that has been seen over the course of this year.

That's all.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #577 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Post by zoraster »

Not to enter on either side of this, but I will say that the judges will need to consider that the reason it was a 4 scum vs. 9 town game is that it was designed so that town would be able to find and lynch more readily than normal.

That said, town played as well as they possibly could in such circumstances, literally lynching correctly every time they could. There was no option for town to do better other than for scum to do better (not to mention the mod) and still do as well. But that was out of their hands.

Both sides of that should probably be weighed.
McStab
McStab
Mafia Scum
McStab
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #578 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:07 pm

Post by McStab »

Since the consensus on Self-Nom for best town is that it's at least somewhat acceptable, I'm going to go ahead and
Nominate Town of Mini 1361 for Best Town Performance
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #579 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:00 am

Post by UberNinja »

I have plenty of town games that could be nominated for Best Town performance but I still feel as if it's bad form to nominate "myself" :(
Staeg
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #580 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:09 am

Post by Staeg »

Not to come in and shit on everything, but wouldn't going "Hey guise this game was p good WINK WINK" be effectively equal to a self-nom (I know, in this case the semi-self-nom is acceptable and stuff, but still - don't see the reasoning behind mcstab's posts)?
sa vrede?
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #581 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:15 am

Post by UberNinja »

If a self-nom in that category has been stated to be acceptable, then why don't you feel that McStab's self-nom is acceptable?

I'm not sure what you're getting at, Staeg.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #582 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:21 am

Post by zoraster »

It's kind of annoying, but to me the most important thing is to make sure that deserving candidates get nominated without generating too much junk.

By the way, take a gander at the nomination list. Anyone who hasn't been seconded (with a None next to the Second), will not be eligible to be considered by the judges.

Also, there are a few categories that could use some more nominations if they're appropriate. Feel free to adjust your standard a bit lower there:

Best IC
Most Memorable Event
Best Role
Contribution to MD/Wiki

All could use a few more nominations. In the case of Most Memorable Event, we only have one that would qualify to win (since the other has not been seconded). Keep in mind that this was an award we added after public outcry.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #583 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:53 am

Post by quadz08 »

In post 433, quadz08 wrote:I'm not certain this is the right award for this, but I don't know if there's a better choice.
Nominate Axxle for Most Memorable Event
for his performance as the Delayed 2-shot Vig in the Scummer of Love Invitational. He got scum on both shots, and basically carried the town to victory on his shoulders.

Just gonna put this here *whistles*
Staeg
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #584 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:58 am

Post by Staeg »

In post 581, UberNinja wrote:If a self-nom in that category has been stated to be acceptable, then why don't you feel that McStab's self-nom is acceptable?

I'm not sure what you're getting at, Staeg.

No, what I'm getting at is, why did McStab post the equivalent of a self-nom if he thought that a self-nom would be frowned upon (I'm not trying to attack mcstab here, but I think I've seen this happen at some point before and everyone was like "well yeah ok no," so I'm looking for clarification).
sa vrede?
Shamrock
Shamrock
Mafia Scum
Shamrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #585 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:07 am

Post by Shamrock »

Hmm:

Nominate kanyeknowsbest for Most Memorable Event
for Karma Mafia; using a redirector role (the variant that picks a target and then picks a new target for that player's night action) he redirected the scum kill at another scum on Night 1, pretty much winning the game on his own. He claimed the next day and the scum he redirected was lynched and we were very easily able to take out the third on D3 by PoE.
Two chainz, four bracelets. Let me see that ass clap, standing ovation.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #586 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:28 am

Post by UberNinja »

In post 583, quadz08 wrote:
In post 433, quadz08 wrote:I'm not certain this is the right award for this, but I don't know if there's a better choice.
for his performance as the Delayed 2-shot Vig in the Scummer of Love Invitational. He got scum on both shots, and basically carried the town to victory on his shoulders.

2nd

Also,
nominate Salamence winning Disney Villains Mafia with no contest as Most Memorable Event

Because fucking wow
MattP
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
Dr. Feelgood

Post Post #587 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:34 am

Post by MattP »

In post 585, Shamrock wrote:Hmm:

Nominate kanyeknowsbest for Most Memorable Event
for Karma Mafia; using a redirector role (the variant that picks a target and then picks a new target for that player's night action) he redirected the scum kill at another scum on Night 1, pretty much winning the game on his own. He claimed the next day and the scum he redirected was lynched and we were very easily able to take out the third on D3 by PoE.

2nd
SlappyKrust
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #588 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:42 am

Post by quadz08 »

In post 586, UberNinja wrote:
In post 583, quadz08 wrote:

2nd

Also,
nominate Salamence winning Disney Villains Mafia with no contest as Most Memorable Event

Because fucking wow

I will
2nd
Salamence on this one.
Mehdi2277
Mehdi2277
Mafia Scum
Mehdi2277
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #589 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:13 am

Post by Mehdi2277 »

3rd Kanye
. Yos probably phrased the effect of it best:

Yos wrote:Yeah, the one-in-a-billion re-direction on night 1 broke the game. I replaced into a slot that was about to be lynched, saved it, set up multiple mislynches, had the game well in hand, and even figured out who the cop was and told my scumbuddy to kill him night 1, and then lost the game to one single night 1 town power role action that killed one of my scumbuddies, got a guilty on a second one, saved the life of the cop, and confiremd kanye as town, at all once. Next time someone asked what "swingy" means in terms of a mafia game, I'm going to link to this one.
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #590 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:58 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 571, McStab wrote:http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22900
13 Player Game with a three man scumteam and a SK. The Town had a Cop (who was rendered useless by the existence of a Mafia Tailor and Investigation Immune SK), a Jailkeeper and a Two-shot vig (rendered null against the SK by one shot Bulletproof). The Town lynched the Mafia PR day one despite the wagon on her forming only in the last 36 hours (with a town player at L-1 the whole time), and it was perceived by the players due to unclear mod communication that the town really only had less than 12 hours left before deadline up until the perceived last ten minutes. At Night the Jailkeeper correctly protected against the SK kill (and the Mafia kill didn't succeed hitting the BP SK), and the Vig shot a Mafia member. On Day Two the last member of the Mafia Team was lynched. So by Night Two a three man mafia team with a PR had been totally destroyed by the Town (no SK assistance in the matter) and no pro-town players had died as a result of smart nightplay by the JK.

At night the Vig got killed and also shot a pro-town player, and the next day a townsperson got lynched. Night three the JK correctly protected against the SK once more, and despite probability dictating that the target of the SK kill was more likely to be SK than town the town correctly lynched the SK who was another player.

Thus, in a town with a misleading Cop PR, a Jailkeeper and a two-shot Vig, up against a three man Mafiateam (with the Tailor PR) and a Investigation Immune one shot BP SK, in a 13 player setup, the town managed to win by the end of Day Four with only one mislynch (66% accuracy in lynching), one misvig (the other shot killed Mafia), two correct Jailkeepings to block kills and only three dead town players to the four dead scum. Given the weight of imbalance and swing to the setup in favour of scumteams, the lack of a scum crosskill (all scum deaths were the result of good townplay as opposed to crosskillings) and the rallying of last minute town-wagons on scum everyday except Day Two, I think it's probably deserving of at least consideration for Best Pro-Town Performance.

In post 578, McStab wrote:
Nominate Town of Mini 1361 for Best Town Performance
Second.
Sounds pretty awesome to me.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
McStab
McStab
Mafia Scum
McStab
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #591 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:33 am

Post by McStab »

@Staeg: In my original post, I felt the game had been overlooked, and so I wanted to bring it to the attention of others and see if others considered it worthy of nomination without officially being the nominee myself; I felt that if no one else had the same mentality, it was unworthy of nomination and so I wouldn't clutter the thread with a self-nomination that would go nowhere. Instead of a nomination, a number of people said a self-nomination in that category wouldn't be out of line, and so I ended up nominating it myself.

I merely wanted to show that my original intent was to avoid a self-nomination but draw attention to a game that I felt was overlooked; this is obviously difficult given that I was a member of the town in that game, and so the way I went about it was the most modest way I think I could've gone about it.

Also I was incorrect in saying "66% accuracy" in lynching, it was 75%.
Dunhamganger
Dunhamganger
Goon
Dunhamganger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #592 (ISO) » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Post by Dunhamganger »

I'd like to nominate
Zar
for
Best Flavor Text
for Mini 1382 - The Mystery at Lake Village. A lot of effort, and enjoyable reading all around.

I guess Basline's Replace-in Post might also qualify for
Most Memorable Event
? He not only pegs the remaining two scum, he does so with eloquence and succintness unheard of in these parts, as well as pointing out exactly why all of his town reads are town. Seriously good work.
Hinduragi
Hinduragi
Jack of All Trades
Hinduragi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #593 (ISO) » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:17 pm

Post by Hinduragi »

In post 592, Dunhamganger wrote:I'd like to nominate
Zar
for
Best Flavor Text
for Mini 1382 - The Mystery at Lake Village. A lot of effort, and enjoyable reading all around.

I guess Basline's Replace-in Post might also qualify for
Most Memorable Event
? He not only pegs the remaining two scum, he does so with eloquence and succintness unheard of in these parts, as well as pointing out exactly why all of his town reads are town. Seriously good work.

I haven't read but there's also an award for "Best Replacement" that this sounds like it might better fall under.
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
Dunhamganger
Dunhamganger
Goon
Dunhamganger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #594 (ISO) » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:31 pm

Post by Dunhamganger »

That sounded more like an overall body of replacement work, which I can't speak to (yet).
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #595 (ISO) » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:50 am

Post by StefanB »

2nd Zar for Flavour

2nd Baseline or nominate for best replacement

If Body of work we should search more, but even this game alone is worth a nom.
While we were not in such a bad position. (ScumPR lynched day 1), both scum managed to get out of focus.
Baseline came in and deduces 2nd scum and made town lynch him.

3 day he started, with reading the complete town (minus me) as town, me as null and the last scum as scumread and convinced a lot of players to look at facts again and lynch the final scum.

3 days- 3 scumlynches and 2 of them Baselines action.
petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #596 (ISO) » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:45 am

Post by petapan »

p sure baseline is an alt so not sure how that's handled as far as noms go
free crypto
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #597 (ISO) » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:54 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 596, petapan wrote:p sure baseline is an alt so not sure how that's handled as far as noms go
Doesn't matter. The only award which relied on someone being an original account versus an alt was the Best Newbie, but since that's been merged with Most Improved into Rising Star, it doesn't matter anymore, since the alt is eligible.

But anyway, I was reading along that game and I was impressed.
Second/Third the Baseline nom.

It should be noted the scum tried to kill Baseline (for good reason), but failed because the bodyguard protected him (for good reason).
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #598 (ISO) » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:17 am

Post by Faraday »

Baseline replaced into Zach's Large Normal and did a very good job, too. Think it's all gone, though?
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Jarvis
Jarvis
Goon
Jarvis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #599 (ISO) » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:23 am

Post by Jarvis »

I think the suggestion was more whether the alt gets it, the main gets it, or both? And while we're on the subject, what theoretically happens if a hydra is nominated?

Return to “Scummies and Mashies Archives”