Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1175 (ISO) » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:10 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Ugh. Went 2&3. My pool wasn't great outside of lotleth troll and slitherskull. golgari loses hard to removal
green shirt thursdays
kdowns
kdowns
He
Goddammit
kdowns
He
Goddammit
Goddammit
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1176 (ISO) » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:19 am

Post by kdowns »

Went 3 and 1. 6/6 Ooze Token +Guild mage popping Populate 2 times a turn... OP
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1177 (ISO) » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:55 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Selesnya & Azorius ended up being the highest-ranked guilds at our prerelease.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1178 (ISO) » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:56 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

also, one big problem I'm going to have is knowing how much mana to play of each color, since it's highly likely you're going to wind up in three colors, and it's not as simple as "this much of mana A, this much of mana B" due to the split cost cards, dual cards, gates, and shocklands
green shirt thursdays
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1179 (ISO) » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:41 am

Post by bv310 »

3-1-1, finished in 12th out of 48. Prize support went to top 8, and everyone got a free pack. Selesnya is fantastic in sealed. Pulled a Blood Crypt too, which is awesome.

My sealed pool was pretty atrocious outside of my guild pack, but I had some solid bombs and removal. If I'd had a bit better luck on my rares, I probably could have aced the day.
kdowns
kdowns
He
Goddammit
kdowns
He
Goddammit
Goddammit
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1180 (ISO) » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:06 am

Post by kdowns »

My Sealed pool was shit. I went Izzet, pulled nothing but Seleysnia cards out of boosters, so I winged it and went Seleysnia... :D
creampuffeater
creampuffeater
Virgin
creampuffeater
Virgin
Virgin

Post Post #1181 (ISO) » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:16 pm

Post by creampuffeater »

Went 3-2 won 2 packs with a very mediocre Azorious deck. It was set up to be skies perfectly, I had a ton of detainers and was pretty good at getting to the late game, where my pool had basically nothing aside from the Promo card.

I liked the guild packs and everything, but wished you werent allowed to play with your promo, that pushed it over the edge as everybody was guarenteed a bomb, and it was so much harder to play a deck outside of your chosen guild (lost to a guy who did that though).

@Shea: Having netdrafted this format a bit, I think that RRR is quite a good format, but not yet close to the level that RGD was. However, it still has two packs to make up for that. One thing I like about it, is all the guilds should be playable via the way colors are divided, and you dont have a situation like GW in Rav being mostly ignored due to GP and DIS. However, it is netdraft, and people are quite dumb, so I am not sure if any of my drafts will look like real drafts at all (I know the one where the guy passed a P1P1 Armada wurm to me is very likely not going to happen :( )
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1182 (ISO) » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:10 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

netdraft has RTR?
green shirt thursdays
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1183 (ISO) » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Just got back from my store's prerelease. Went 3-3. I picked Azorius, and almost all of my wins came from Archon of the Triumvarant, or Growing Ranks with a bunch of the token generators I pulled in green. Almost every loss was because of mana flood. Event was won by Izzet, which I didn't think was that strong.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
creampuffeater
creampuffeater
Virgin
creampuffeater
Virgin
Virgin

Post Post #1184 (ISO) » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:59 am

Post by creampuffeater »

Netdraft had RTR like 2 days after the set was spoiled, but you have to lurk for a while and wait for 7 other people to be willing to draft. The hosts were also failing considerably, and only like one of the 5 drafts I did had more than one round.
KaleiÐoscøpe
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
=====[]

Post Post #1185 (ISO) » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:32 am

Post by KaleiÐoscøpe »

In post 1174, Thestatusquo wrote:Its mainly nostalgia, I think. The original ravnica was one of the best sets of all time, and certainly RGD was one of the best draft formats of all time. We'll see if this one lives up to the name.
Ravnica drafts were the best. Especially after the lackluster Kamigawa block where drafting was really awful.
creampuffeater
creampuffeater
Virgin
creampuffeater
Virgin
Virgin

Post Post #1186 (ISO) » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:09 am

Post by creampuffeater »

Kamigawa block gets extremely shafted due to timing. While Betrayers and Saviors were awful sets, and I am not going to defend them (jitte in limited....), CHKx3 was a very good draft format, and even CCB wasnt too bad (again, Jitte), however with Saviors being one of the worst sets ever (honestly, I think its way worse than AVR), and Rav block being the best limited environment, it gets continually shafted. I mean, I dont think Shards block gets the hate it deserves (conflux was terrible, and ARB doesnt save it).

RGD drafts still remain the best draft format I have drafted, though I will say that triple innistrad was quite good, and I enjoyed that a lot (DKA was meh). I have very high expectations for this blocks limited, that I hope will be met.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1187 (ISO) » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:25 am

Post by bv310 »

By way of Limiteds I've had more experience with, Rise of the Eldrazi, and M13 are my favourites. I've heard conflicting things about TSP, but it sounds entertaining.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1188 (ISO) » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:41 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I don't think it's possible to get a worse sealed pool than I got today.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1189 (ISO) » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:42 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

also yes M13 is criminally underrated as a limited format
green shirt thursdays
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1190 (ISO) » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:04 am

Post by bv310 »

I really want to buy a bunch of Rise and run a draft with it, but boxes of it are stupidly expensive
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1191 (ISO) » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:19 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

The new M base sets are the first ones to really be constructed with the idea of limited, and M13 is the first one to be properly balanced for it. I also love that several of the newer sets were designed with an eye towards EDH, as well.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1192 (ISO) » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:16 pm

Post by PeregrineV »

Played Azorius Friday night (with a splash of red). Went 0-2-2.

Played Radkos Saturday, went 2-1-1, made like 16th place out of 48. Wanted to play Izzet, but wanted the promos and bought an Izzet intro pack.

I like the UR color pattern, but I didn't seem to get any cards that really helped my decks. Did get a Radkos lord of riots, but didn't get a red/black dual land even.

Maybe the release party will go better.
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1193 (ISO) » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:30 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

I had a moment today where I nearly lost my shit on some guy. He was being a dick the whole game, doing stuff like:

- All games: Showing his cards/hand to the two playing at the table next to us and discussing the hand

- Game #1: He had me down to 1 life. I had no creatures, 1 card in hand, and he had a 3/3-something and an Izzet Keyrune. His turn. He can clearly swing and win, but he announced, "Nah, I don't wanna win yet, I wanna win in a fun way." Instead of scooping, I figure, "If this asshole isn't going to kill me, I'll just keep drawing because I have shit that can boardwipe and save me from losing." 10ish turns past and he still hasn't killed me, so I finally scoop because that one game took FOREVER. It was PURPOSEFULLY stalling.

- Game #2: I had a 5/5 centaur token on the battlefield. I swing. He blocks with a 2/4. It dies. He then announces he's tapping his Izzet Staticaster to ping me for 1 damage. I respond by throwing out Avenging Arrow to kill it, but he then says he didn't realize my token was a 5/5, and therefore doesn't want to ping it. I go, "You announced it and I've already thrown out my Avenging Arrow," and he goes, "Yeah but I never even tapped him for it, can I please take it back?" I said okay because why not, it's just for fun, right? Then some people come to watch our game and he starts bragging, "Yeah, I know he's holding an Avenging Arrow in there, so no way am I going to swing with my Rakdos!" That pissed me off something royal.

- Game #3: We only have 7 minutes left in the round. He starts bitching about how we need to hurry. I tell him I'm gonna shuffle my deck and he makes a negative comment about how I'm taking too long. I draw. Shit hand, I decide to mull. He explodes, "MAN COME ON, HURRY UP, I'M NOT GONNA DRAW THIS." I draw 6, still shit, no lands, need to mull. He continues bitching about how I'm taking too long so I start trying to hurry. I'm so rushed at this point I keep my hand of 5 despite only having one off-color land and decide to play. Suboptimal play due to him pressuring me. Continuing on, he plays Rakdos on turn 5. I play my creature, then at the end of my turn/beginning of his turn, I realize he only has one swamp. Gamma asks him, "Uhhh how did you play Rakdos without having two swamps?" And he goes, "Oh, my bad, I'll just pick him back up." We were so short on time that I didn't want to call a judge over and just let him do it, because then we'd have to take my turn back and I honestly would've swung in if Rakdos hadn't been on the field. He proceeds to play Rakdos and win right before the "five more turns" are up.

People like that just piss me off. I've never called a judge over personal problems before, ever, because I don't feel the need to be SUPER SRS OMG COMPETITIVE in the Magic events I attend. Hell, even today, it was just regular REL, nobody could get disqualified. But I was put under pressure game three and forced to rush my play because game one, he decided to "troll" and refuse to kill me off when he could've won the game ten turns earlier. Couple that with the misplay game two where he was able to see a combat trick I had because he "took back" the move, and playing Rakdos without the proper mana out (he was also playing custom/altered islands that were covered in black grungy art so they looked like swamps) which fucked up my turn, and that kid just needed to get punched in the dick. Fucking hell.
green shirt thursdays
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1194 (ISO) » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:58 pm

Post by bv310 »

Dude, CALL A JUDGE. If he's stalling on purpose, it's an infraction. If he's cheating, (which that take-back was), it's an infraction. If he's cheating with land, it's an infraction. Get the fucker a DQ, he'll learn pretty quickly to count his lands. Given that he's clearly not a new player, he's cheating.

Don't let people get away with stupid bullshit. If he's using lands that you can't readily tell the difference between them and swamps, call a judge, because those are illegal. If he wants to be a dick to you, then don't worry about being laid back or being "nice".
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1195 (ISO) » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:44 pm

Post by PeregrineV »

In post 1194, bv310 wrote:Dude, CALL A JUDGE. If he's stalling on purpose, it's an infraction. If he's cheating, (which that take-back was), it's an infraction. If he's cheating with land, it's an infraction. Get the fucker a DQ, he'll learn pretty quickly to count his lands. Given that he's clearly not a new player, he's cheating.

Don't let people get away with stupid bullshit. If he's using lands that you can't readily tell the difference between them and swamps, call a judge, because those are illegal. If he wants to be a dick to you, then don't worry about being laid back or being "nice".

This.
+
He used up his time in turn 1.
+
You: "I guess you should have killed me faster the first game." with a shit eating grin as you shuffle at whatever speed you want.
+
nutshot like you previously described.

Our group is kind of regulars, so we don't have much dickery like that. Only time someone tried something this time was the Izzet player. He was one mana shy of winning the game when I had 1 life left. And he could have done his mana differently, but instead of helping him I pointed out he lacked the mana, so he passed turn and I was able to beat him.
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1196 (ISO) » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:47 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

There's no chess clock in magic (though if mtgo uses it I don't see why events don't)
green shirt thursdays
Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1197 (ISO) » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:53 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

Played Golgari at my event, and the stars aligned pretty heavily with the card synergy I got. pulled 3 mythics, two of which were actually useful (Jarad, that 6/5 flying demon with the +1/+1 whenever a creature of yours hits the opponent), plus Corpsejack promo of course, and topped it off with Death's Presence.

I absolutely trounced my first two opponents, but once I got to round 3 I was up against a pro, one who was just at worlds for that matter. He was very nice, but he had an absolutely sick populate deck with the land that turns into an 8/8 vigilance golem or w/e. As someone mentioned, Golgari has a huge problem with removal, despite scavenge. Jarad, thankfully, is a beast with Death's Presence, fun combo.

I wish I could have had more slitherheads, more daggerdome imps. Golgari really needs that fast early pressure, and late game the slitherheads turn into great fodder for Jarad with Death's Presence/Corpsejack in play, gives slum reaper a little more value. Ultimate Price did some work for me, as did the green 'kill target creature with flying, gain 2 life' bit. All in all, it was really fun. I had to leave early, and I didn't expect to top 8 after losing round 3, I probably could have though.
"I value knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold."
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1198 (ISO) » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Post by bv310 »

Dude, the Necropolis Regent give the connecting creature +1/+1s equal to the damage it deals, not just 1 counter. Shit be mildly cray, yo.
Shadow1psc
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Shadow1psc
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1199 (ISO) » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:46 am

Post by Shadow1psc »

Oh, right, I typed it wrong, but definitely did read it correctly. Yeah, for 6 mana, it's a decent bomb in limited, but dies to some really stupid removal.
"I value knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold."

Return to “The Arcade”