Worst role ideas?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #3650 (ISO) » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:05 pm

Post by Xalxe »

In post 3649, Guy_Named_Riggs wrote:Also in regards to bastard games
I heard of a series of games called "Mind Screw" where they were apparenty roles that relied on others, and just a whole bunch of other mayhem. I don't know if the players knew what coming the first game (check in the completed large them games) but they somewhat knew what to expect in the later games

Oh my god I'm
old
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
Guy_Named_Riggs
Guy_Named_Riggs
Mafia Scum
Guy_Named_Riggs
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3651 (ISO) » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:21 pm

Post by Guy_Named_Riggs »

Did you play in those games?
Telo
Telo
Goon
Telo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3652 (ISO) » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:15 pm

Post by Telo »

Lynchproof Jester
Neruz
Neruz
Mafia Scum
Neruz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3653 (ISO) » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:16 pm

Post by Neruz »

In post 3641, Lyrebird wrote:
Because you live in the city :D
*gets the picture reference*

I did not expect anyone to get the joke, I am pleasantly surprised :D

Also; in general game bastardry is divided into 2 categories. The normal kind of Bastard Modding is basically doing something that the players don't expect (Cult in a game advertised as 'normal') while 'True' Bastard Modding is when the mod actively lies to and works against the players. The most common form of this is roles with powers that don't work the way they say they work but it can get very complicated very quickly.

When executed correctly, a bastard mod game is hilarious fun for all involved. But they're by far the hardest kind of game to execute correctly and the vast majority of bastard mod games fall hard.
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3654 (ISO) » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:38 pm

Post by izakthegoomba »

In post 3652, Telo wrote:Lynchproof Jester

Don't be silly.
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3655 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:51 am

Post by saulres »

Double-Loved Jester? :P
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #3656 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:26 am

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 3647, Mehdi2277 wrote:Bastard is essentially anytime the mod lies or does something really unpredictable. A role no one's ever heard of anything similar if the game isn't marked with strange roles could be considered bastard. I really only consider lies to be true bastard though while unpredictable is more fine to me.
Cult and jester tend to fall in the unpredictable since it can really screw with how you need to be playing if you don't know they exist
. Lynchers I think are just fine (although some hate it since it really comes down to luck in whether your target is easy or tough to lynch) and survivors are awful but not bastard.

Exception being anything notified beforehand is no longer considered bastard since it makes it expected. A semi-open game that says there is a cult isn't bastard (same with pretty much any role if you give advance warning).

Mechanics can also be bastard, but it usually applies to roles simply because roles are used more than mechanics in most games.

let me state that the overwhelming majority of the games I have played were games where the roles were not stated ahead of time.

I got burned something fierce in one of the few games I have played with a cult. I was impersonating my mentor with his permission (he gave me the account for that time period only) while he took over another player's account. the only clue was the use of the word "seems" but it was neutralised by the way he died. I was scum and was all :dinorage: over it cos town did not see it coming but one of my scum partners did. we just couldn't stir up enough interest about it cos it seemed too far fetched and I bussed my teammates
hard
including a newb scum and I still feel bad about it after all of this time.

so I gmed a game with a cult leader and defanged him quite a bit with 5 players in a 28 player game that he could not recruit and his recruits had a posting restriction but could keep their night actions. it fit the flavour. he tried to recruit 2 of the non recruitable players and then was vig-killed. :( it was my favourite role.

I think I am starting to agree with you on survivor roles. I think a lot of indies try to play protown in order to boost their meta but it is very hard to ignore your win condition since you will tend to cater to those who seem interested in keeping you alive and it screws up your reads since it allows a scum/indie dynamic which allows them to work together. it could totally be a conscious choice but an unconscious one too.
Reecer6
Reecer6
Goon
Reecer6
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3657 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:26 pm

Post by Reecer6 »

RED Spy:
Is told he's town, but wins with the mafia.
BLU Spy:
Is told he's scum (and gets in night meetings), but wins with the town.
Headcrab:
Aligned with the mafia. Every night, can pick one person that he can remove the vote of for half a day. If he picks someone with any type of protection or weapon better than their fists, the headcrab dies.
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #3658 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:30 pm

Post by pirate mollie »

scum don when you only view as town when you don't make the kill. also with 2 nonscum role blockers in the game. it is super sweet when it is an 18 player game and there are only 3 scum and you have lost both of your teammates by d2.

memories.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #3659 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:51 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Fwiw, I think I figured out the optimal play for the player-who-doesn't-know-their-wincon role. You should claim, then help town.

The reasoning goes as follows: you want to survive, because this helps you no matter what your wincon. Also, you probably are town, just for balance reasons. Town shouldn't want to kill you except very near the end of the game; not knowing your wincon, you're unlikely to participate in quickhammers, and you can't coordinate with the scum, and can't really help them in any way any once you've claimed that you don't know your alignment. Scum, on the other hand, probably shouldn't kill you just on the offchance you're sided with them, and help them win a day earlier as a result. Helping town reduces the risk that they policy lynch you; also, it's more fun.

If you have a night action (and also don't know what it does), point it at people who look scummy. That way, it's no great loss if it does something bad to them, and will probably has no effect if it does something good to them (unless you block a vig shot, in which case you'll at least learn what it does if the vig claims); and it's more likely to be useful if you're an investigative role.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
McStab
McStab
Mafia Scum
McStab
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3660 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:09 pm

Post by McStab »

Their wincon could be to die (as jester) but yeah, probability dictates it isn't. Optimal play is to troll the town by pushing the limits of crazy claims and gambits without fear of breaking site rules for lack of wincon
TeChNoWC
TeChNoWC
Mafia Scum
TeChNoWC
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3661 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:34 pm

Post by TeChNoWC »

jester who is a lover of a lyncher who must lynch the jester, who are also both a lover of a survivor and all know each others roles, but no one else in the setup does.

jester wants the survivor and the lyncher to live
jester wants himself to die
lyncher wants the survivor to survive but only until the jester is lynched
the survivor wants everyone to live

If they get nightkilled they are fucked.
Good luck to survivor :P
"TeCh was a textbook pro-town obv town all-around town townie.
the entire town decided to lobotomize itself and lynch the most obvious townie in the game" crypto
"Techno played a hell of a scum game, one of my best newbie scum players" bv310
"Tech, you carried my fat ass, that Vig shot took more balls then I had" AP
TeChNoWC
TeChNoWC
Mafia Scum
TeChNoWC
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3662 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:50 pm

Post by TeChNoWC »

- innocent child that when activates causes a random townie to die.
- VT that isn't really a VT and is scum-aligned but doesn't know it.
- treestump that is mafia-aligned
- vig that has to kill every night and if he hits scum the town loses
- entire playerlist gets reassigned roles and alignment every night
- lyncher who wins whenever anyone is lynched in a setup that heavily encourages no lynches, or alludes to it, and actually has no scum
- a game where everyone is town just to fuck with them
- a game where everyone is scum but there is stated to be no scumchat or knowledge of scumbuddies
- a player that must limit his posting to once every two days (normal time) or dies (forced to lurk)
- a player that can't say the words scum or town or will die
- a player who wins if there is a no lynch
- a special jester that wins if nightkilled N1, and if not is ejected from the game
"TeCh was a textbook pro-town obv town all-around town townie.
the entire town decided to lobotomize itself and lynch the most obvious townie in the game" crypto
"Techno played a hell of a scum game, one of my best newbie scum players" bv310
"Tech, you carried my fat ass, that Vig shot took more balls then I had" AP
McStab
McStab
Mafia Scum
McStab
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3663 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:15 pm

Post by McStab »

You are a
Sleeper Agent
. Whenever someone says a particular, preordained word that only the mod is aware of, you become activated. If left unactivated all game, you win with the town. If activated, you win with the scum.
YYR
YYR
Goon
YYR
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3664 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:34 pm

Post by YYR »

In post 3662, TeChNoWC wrote:- innocent child that when activates causes a random townie to die.

That's can actually be useful in MyLo.
drmyshotgun
drmyshotgun
Jack of All Trades
drmyshotgun
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3665 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:35 pm

Post by drmyshotgun »

In post 3662, TeChNoWC wrote:- innocent child that when activates causes a random townie to die.

A "not so" Innocent child.
My GTKAS!
100% Win Rate in Micro: 10 Games!!
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3666 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:44 pm

Post by quadz08 »

You are a
WINnocent Child

You are mod-confirmed as town after you win.

You win with the town.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Lyrebird
Lyrebird
Townie
Lyrebird
Townie
Townie

Post Post #3667 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:22 pm

Post by Lyrebird »

drmyshotgun wrote:

This reminds me of a book I read recently...

You are an
Innocent Mason 1-shot bulletproof Child
with XXXXX, who is your identical twin, but not really.

At the start of the game, neither of you will be mod-confirmed town. You will be able to chat in a QT.
However, only one of you is the original Innocent Child; the other is a magical copy. Both of you possess half of a magical locket.
Once both of you PM the mod to join the locket together, the magical copy will die, while the original Innocent Child will live on as a mod-confirmed Innocent Child. If one of you happens to be targetted by a killing ability, the locket will be destroyed and the same thing will happen (the magical copy dies and the original lives on modconfirmed)
You both win with the town.

Not as bad as I thought...
drmyshotgun
drmyshotgun
Jack of All Trades
drmyshotgun
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3668 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:24 pm

Post by drmyshotgun »

In post 3667, Lyrebird wrote:
drmyshotgun wrote:

Reminds me of The Tin Drum and Oman.
God those movies hunt me.
My GTKAS!
100% Win Rate in Micro: 10 Games!!
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #3669 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:56 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Probably should put the base role behind some I've seen here…

You are a
Voluntarily Suicidal Townie
. At any point in the game, you may commit suicide, which causes you to die. (Unlike being modkilled, you still keep your win condition.) You win with the town.

I've also seen this used as a night ability, rather than any-time ability. The role is a slight positive, but not by much; the main time you'd want to trigger it would be if you were about to be lynched.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #3670 (ISO) » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:47 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

In post 3669, callforjudgement wrote:
I've also seen this used as a night ability, rather than any-time ability. The role is a slight positive, but not by much; the main time you'd want to trigger it would be if you were about to be lynched.

So it's just an early self-hammer? why would you do that?
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3671 (ISO) » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:48 am

Post by gorckat »

To flip town and keep the day open.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #3672 (ISO) » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:53 am

Post by ChannelDelibird »

Congratulations! You are a
Beloved Princess Jester
#greenshirtthursdays
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #3673 (ISO) » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:00 am

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 3669, callforjudgement wrote:Probably should put the base role behind some I've seen here…

You are a
Voluntarily Suicidal Townie
. At any point in the game, you may commit suicide, which causes you to die. (Unlike being modkilled, you still keep your win condition.) You win with the town.

tbh I think that role sounds like it would be fun. you could be all melodramtic about it to the point of obviousness in order to lighten the mood.

beloved princess Image
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3674 (ISO) » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:25 am

Post by quadz08 »

In post 3667, Lyrebird wrote:
drmyshotgun wrote:

You are an
Innocent Mason 1-shot bulletproof Child
with XXXXX, who is your identical twin, but not really.

At the start of the game, neither of you will be mod-confirmed town. You will be able to chat in a QT.
However, only one of you is the original Innocent Child; the other is a magical copy. Both of you possess half of a magical locket.
Once both of you PM the mod to join the locket together, the magical copy will die, while the original Innocent Child will live on as a mod-confirmed Innocent Child. If one of you happens to be targetted by a killing ability, the locket will be destroyed and the same thing will happen (the magical copy dies and the original lives on modconfirmed)
You both win with the town.

Not as bad as I thought...

This actually could be quite cool in the right large theme.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”