Scummies Ideas, Suggestions and Comments Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #95 (isolation #0) » Mon May 07, 2012 1:16 am

Post by AGar »

Posting here so I can keep up with this thread, but pretty much everything worth saying has already been said.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #97 (isolation #1) » Mon May 07, 2012 12:54 pm

Post by AGar »

In post 96, Amrun wrote:I also like handing out a Golden Fedora every year.

Ehhhhno. I feel like doing this would just lessen the "value" of getting a Golden Fedora. If someone does something to earn it, then yes, but let's not just give something out for the sake of giving it out.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #104 (isolation #2) » Mon May 07, 2012 3:54 pm

Post by AGar »

In post 99, Amrun wrote:
In post 97, AGar wrote:
In post 96, Amrun wrote:I also like handing out a Golden Fedora every year.

Ehhhhno. I feel like doing this would just lessen the "value" of getting a Golden Fedora. If someone does something to earn it, then yes, but let's not just give something out for the sake of giving it out.

Well, I don't mean if no one has earned it...

Saying "I like handing out X every year" implies you want to see one handed out every year to someone, regardless of worth.

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #158 (isolation #3) » Sun May 20, 2012 3:04 am

Post by AGar »

In post 154, Zdenek wrote:
In post 153, zoraster wrote:I'm not sure I see that as much different than Don Corleone/Paragon other than changing the way it's nominated.

Well, for one thing, it would reward both good town and scum play, as opposed to being for one in particular. Also there are numerous things that could happen in a game that would prevent one from being nominated for one of those awards, while still being deserving of recognition for good play.

Not really, because players get nominated for good play in one game by that moderator, where they play as one faction (Town, Mafia or 3rd Party). A player can simply be nominated only for town performances or scum performances and thus it's not rewarding them for good town and scum play. So really, what's the purpose of this?

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #160 (isolation #4) » Mon May 21, 2012 1:59 am

Post by AGar »

If they're displaying "consistently strong play" in either the town or the scum side of things, odds are someone will notice and nominate them for the respective BOW award.

Being the best player in a game is not only a very subjective call, but it's also not of equal merit across games. Being the best player in a mini normal and being the best player in a large theme with lots of draw are two very different calibers of players. One is gonna be like Glork, and the other is gonna be like... me if I'm lucky. HUUUGE difference.

Of those 6 scenarios, I can honestly say that most people who have been on MS for a year or more and played more than five games have at least achieved two of those "feats", if you will. As a matter of fact... some of them aren't even worth being "rewarded" for. #3 is literally just not being as good of a town player, you failed at half of your job.

Best role-claim and a suitable option are being discussed (or has already been fully discussed and decided on, I'm not 100% on remembering this.). Other than that, this really serves no purpose.

Not to mention the nightmare of logistics this would induce. At any given time, there are likely dozens of games running on-site, not even counting Newbies. Right now, for example, 39 non-newbies are running. 39 players will be "nominated". Who now handles this? What do we even do with these, for that matter?

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #168 (isolation #5) » Thu May 24, 2012 7:37 am

Post by AGar »

Solution: Everyone needs to be in 6 games at the same time, at all times.

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #224 (isolation #6) » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:39 am

Post by AGar »

Stream or it never happened.

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #227 (isolation #7) » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:36 pm

Post by AGar »

In post 226, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 224, AGar wrote:Stream or it never happened.

GOOD THING I WON'T HAVE TO NOM IT

WoW Mafia?

Too soon?

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #401 (isolation #8) » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:01 pm

Post by AGar »

In post 388, Kublai Khan wrote:Nominees should not be allowed to judge the categories that they are nominated for anymore.

I was under the impression that this has always been the case, as during the 1st Half of the 2011 judging, we had an issue where only 1 of the 6 or so selected judges was actually able to judge the Best Town Performance category and we just left the thread until the SSC came up with a solution.

In post 389, Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:Best Normal or Open Design seems narrow and unlikely to draw many nominations. If we want those categories to be better represented in the Best Set-up nominations, what we could do is ask the relevant list mods to take a look at year's end? I'd also be willing to do it otherwise.

This has merit, but the problem is you're comparing apples to oranges with Themes vs. Normals. You can do a lot in a Theme, be it Large or Mini, that you just simply can't do in a Normal or Open game.

In post 399, UberNinja wrote:Like for instance,
once someone "retires", never to return to that account,
it should be considered being awarded to that person.

That should never be the caveat. Ever.

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #404 (isolation #9) » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:49 am

Post by AGar »

In post 402, UberNinja wrote:Meh. It's kinda like a farewell present.

Nobody walks around wearing the golden fedora and looking snazzy (and indeed it would look snazzy), to me it's just like something you would put on their coffin as it gets lowered into the ground, to honor their memory.
But you're basically stipulating that no one should get it unless they
leave the site

If someone did awesome work over a sustained period, and then after so many years decided to just step back from that but still wanted to be a part of the community, we shouldn't not recognize their work because "Ahwp, they're hanging around. They're still a part of the community."

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #408 (isolation #10) » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Post by AGar »

In post 407, quadz08 wrote:To me, Name In Orange is "you aren't/weren't/haven't been an admin/mod but you're AWESOME and deserve recognition," while the Golden Fedora is "you WERE a mod/admin and have been so damn spectacular that you deserve recognition."

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #439 (isolation #11) » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:40 pm

Post by AGar »

In post 434, Venmar wrote:A generic "best hydra player(s)" actually sounds like a decent award. It can be given to the hydra of two players that worked together the most to help achieve their win-con. Two people that cooperated the whole game and presented good results, such as lynching scum or protecting other town players, or as scum successfully being manipulative, etc. With any luck, an award like this might even encourage people to stop making garbage hydras and actually try?

Modding hydras I think wouldn't be included and can just keep being considered for best mod anyways.
Problems with this:

- Hydra play varies greatly in terms of style. Some hydrae let one head handle the thread posting and simply converse amongst themselves in their QT/domain of choice. Others will let all heads post in thread. Some barely communicate (hydra-bickering is simultaneously hilarious and infuriating) and just post in thread whatever the hell they feel like.

- How do you compare the cohesiveness of a hydra of two people vs. a hydra of three or more (Copper comes to mind as a hydra that I feel had at least 4 heads, although I could be wrong)?

- Not sure how prevalent they are, but secret hydrae - how do you judge how well they worked together? They're not going to give up their QTs, (nor might non-secret hydrae, for that matter) so how do you judge whether it was cohesive or if one head just took over, which is something we see quite often in non-secret hydrae.

- Alignment differences - a hydra that draws scum and a hydra that draws town can be a cohesive unit in two very different ways. How do you compare the two? There's a reason we have Paragon and Don Corleone, and the Best Town and Best Scumgroup scummies, and it's because the alignments require vastly different play styles.

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #500 (isolation #12) » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:53 am

Post by AGar »

Well done guys, all of these changes are solid.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”