NY 151: Playground Mafia (Game Over-Mafia Win!)

Benmage
Benmage
Survivor
Benmage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #775 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:39 pm

Post by Benmage »

Vijay if you're pressuring someone but they remain unresponsive, you don't go "shucks " and move on. You lynch them. Pressure votes are pointless if you don't have the guts to to lynch.
"ITT Benmage is making Shakespeare look cool. I need to bring you to my high school." -Vi
"If i must blantantly follow somone a player cannot do better than blindly following benmage" - tubby216
vijay2vasandani
vijay2vasandani
Mafia Scum
vijay2vasandani
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #776 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:00 am

Post by vijay2vasandani »

Please pay attention Benmage. We ARE lynching Rack. We just have time to pressure somebody else as well.
coming back after a 3 year break.
Benmage
Benmage
Survivor
Benmage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #777 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:16 am

Post by Benmage »

That's dumb and cannot work. If you don't actively push, and seek who your pushing to be lynched if they don't fix their behavior, than your pressure is baseless. You can't do both. And if you do push it, it requires detailing the wagon your "ok " with.

I feel like a broken record. Pressure votes without the threat of lynching are meaningless.

And vijay. I will ask things to be repeated a 100 times. That's how this game works. I hate when people go derpderp read derpderp pay attention.
"ITT Benmage is making Shakespeare look cool. I need to bring you to my high school." -Vi
"If i must blantantly follow somone a player cannot do better than blindly following benmage" - tubby216
Benmage
Benmage
Survivor
Benmage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #778 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:18 am

Post by Benmage »

And how much time do you want to allocate? Were 30 pages into D1. What have you learned from your pressure? Whose joined your cause?
redFF
redFF
Mafia Scum
redFF
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #779 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:37 am

Post by redFF »

In post 767, rack wrote:
In post 747, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:
But Rack is still scummier, and has still done NOTHING to make me think he's town.

How cute. You think you can toss off little one-liners like this and the masses will follow you.

You're entirely too delusional.

(Head A, as usual.)

I'm pretty close to voting rack now lol, there's only so much a man can take.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #780 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:48 am

Post by Antihero »

In post 757, Junpei wrote:I read his ISO but scanned over some stuff on accident; it happens. And it did not go no where (it being that particular line of questioning), I have collected a couple of tells, which I noted in my post. If I had nitpicked through his ISO, then you'd think that there'd be more scattered nitpicking rather than a focused line of questioning, huh?

nope
if you were collecting tells, you would've called ML scummy/voted him/some variation of this. what did you think ML was going to say after this "focused line of questioning"? (rhetorical question)

In post 768, vijay2vasandani wrote:^ you're fairly useless too, but you don't see me complaining. Who is scum and why?

Apparently Macros. A lurker who looked like he might be a popular wagon. Guess he miscalculated.

Updated Reads

Town: vijay, Nero, Benmage, Lady, HezLucky, red, mastin, psyche, shotty 2, NihilisticNinja, The Mini-Librarian, Macros
Scum: firestarter, jason, drmyshottyizsik, rack, Junpei
Null: Maxous, GreyICE, pine, DeasVail, khan, scooby
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #781 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:23 am

Post by GreyICE »

In post 763, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:My vote is on Rack, we're killing him today BECAUSE he isn't responding.

You don't just remove your vote from someone because they aren't responding to go pressure someone else. No.

We're killing Rack.

Baaaaa

Sheeping the cutest person in the room.

Plus this needs to happen.

Vote: Rack
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #782 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:14 am

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 774, Benmage wrote:Nero, you really think there's 5 scum on the rack wagon?

You think there's not scum on the Rack wagon? Have you ever played Mafia before?
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #783 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:15 am

Post by Pine »

Of course there's scum on Rack. There's always scum on a big wagon. I find it exceptionally suspicious that you're trying to derail the Rack wagon for that reason.

"Don't lynch my buddy! Water is wet! WET, MAN! OPEN YOUR EYES!"
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #784 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:20 am

Post by Nero Cain »

I didn't realize I was trying to derail it. Especially in 760 after I more or less said that I don't care.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #785 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:19 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

Finishing up..

18. Antihero/Candy Corn Vampire
- Early sharp scumhunting
- redFF's pointed out "backtrack" is overblown
- I like Antihero's style. Willingness to talk through his thought process is a towntell because it's extremely hard for scum to fake.

19. mastin2
- Ugh...
- Never did unveil the "dozens of scumtells" that Firestarter tripped (275 - i18). Votes for Firestarter still without giving reasons (585 - i39)
- Not surprised he sees rack as town. mastin2 continues to be horrible at scumhunting. His strength is reading links between players and I want to see more analysis on this.
- Also, the pseudolynch musing is bad scum-hunting.
- His meta musings about changing style and feeling out of his league are noise. Still, I've got a townish gut feeling.

20. Lady Lambdadelta
- Kinda didn't like the fence-sitting arbitration between Nero Cain and NihilisticNinja early on. ("NN you should research shotty and NC you answer NN's question and provide examples" (paraphrased))
- Been agreeing pretty consistently with her reads, which is a good sign.

21. Junpei
- "passion" arguments are really bad.
- It's a shame that mastin2's posting style is massively distracting him from the rest of the game.
- I'd seriously like more participation from Junpei (if I may call him that)

22. Maxous
- His posting and scumhunting is very obv-town.

23. vijay2vasandani
- His vote on me was terrible. And I mean not just because it was on me, it was just terrible.
- A lot of wagon-shopping while constantly questioning people's rack-reads.
- Scum.

24. GreyICE/Praetyre
- Didn't like the dayvig play on someone he considered to be townish. I can buy that it's meta-hate, but there's no need for it.
- Also not liking the idea that he considered all the non-rack wagons to be scum-driven, then tries to launch a wagon on drmyshottyizsik.
- town read, but i've got doubt.

Also, overall I've got an itchy face. Which means that I feel that I've got wool pulled over my eyes. Probably by one of the better players. But that's fine, I rarely nail entire scum-teams in the first day.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Junpei
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #786 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:35 am

Post by Junpei »

Kublai Khan, the "passion" argument was throwback to a post made by Librarian. He called Psyche suspicious for not using scumhunting passion, and I wanted to deconstruct that thought process.

In post 300, The Mini-Librarian wrote:...What bothers me the most here is how passionless these posts are. This is not posting of someone who actually wants their read lynched.

Also I'm going to do more reads.
The melody of logic always plays the notes of truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA41ggsdeXE
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #787 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:43 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 759, Psyche wrote:Khan, how do you go from this:

1. Psyche
- Felt the need to complain repeatedly.
- Frustrating & confusing writing style
- Not sure why he jumped off the rack wagon

To this?:
- Pretty strongly scum

Your first two points are complaints about my style and the third is more of a question than a reason for finding me scummy. And yet you come to this conclusion. I find the very idea that you actually think this way disingenuous.

By the way, I thought I explained my reason for leaving the rack wagon? I suppose I might be remembering wrong, but I doubt it.

I'm trying to do a thorough read so that my return to the front becomes like an emergence from the spring of rebirth. In other words, I'll be in my groove and more capable of helping you guys, more or less. Hopefully this isn't

I am deeply interested in how merely presenting an unlikeable personality can have such a profound effect on how people read your scumminess! That probably isn't the butt of it all — I haven't performed with intellective grace, either. I'll of course need to monitor that in future play, but, oh, the research opportunities! Anyways...all I have for today.

Well, let's take as an example. You use flowery language, bad sentence structure, roundabout thinking, and passivity to essentially say: "Hey, since drmyshottyizsik isn't going to be night-killed, he's only going to be a constant counter-wagon for scum to push. So we should lynch him, but I'm not going to take part." (Which is a fucked-up scummy wishy-washy statement to begin with). However you spread it out over five lines and it takes 4 readthrough to understand. It looked like a trap designed to get someone to misunderstand you. And sure enough is you accusing NihilisticNinja of misrepping you. (Not outright either, but in a bullshit passive way)

There's a weak scumtell that people who try to use super-sophisticated language are more likely to be scum. Generally it shows that they are consciously trying to manipulate. In general, people with town win conditions try to be clear and avoid misrepresentation. Your posts seemingly encourage misrepresentation with your style. It's possible that it's a meta thing, in which case, change yo' style. This game and in future games.

Your reason for unvoting rack was "No longer interested in my instinctive reactions to his posts". Whatever the fuck that means.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Maxous
Maxous
Mafia Scum
Maxous
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #788 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:22 am

Post by Maxous »

So yeah, turns out I don't have as much time today as I thought I would.
I'll have to post that stuff Sunday night/monday along with whatever catching up.
"
And before anyone bitches about me highlighting PoD's 437 when I replaced in and called everyone on my wagon communists, I remind you that communism is not alignment-indicative
" - Belisarius

wiki (actually) updated
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #789 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:34 am

Post by PeregrineV »

Vote Count 1-8

(as of Post 788)

rack (8)
- Benmage, The Mini-Librarian, Firestarter, Kublai Khan, Lady Lambdadelta, drmyshotgun, Maxous, GreyICE
Pine (3)
- scooby, vijay2vasandani, mastin2
Firestarter (3)
- NihilisticNinja, Antihero, redFF
Macros(3)
- Pine, rack, DeasVail
Benmage (2)
- HezLucky, Macros
Nero Cain (1)
- drmyshottyizsik
Maxous (1)
- Psyche
redFF (1)
- Junpei
GreyICE (1)
- Nero Cain

Not Voting (1)
- FakeGod

With 24 alive, it takes 13 to lynch

Deadline:
Thursday, May 3, 2012 3pm CST

Replacing:

No one

Prods:

NihilisticNinja
(pre-prod) Firestarter

V/LAs:

HezLuckyApril 21
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
HezLucky
HezLucky
HEZZZZZWAVRE
HezLucky
HEZZZZZWAVRE
HEZZZZZWAVRE

Post Post #790 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:56 am

Post by HezLucky »

My exam is done and I am back.

Is there anything specific I need to address? What do people think of a Junpei lynch? [What does LLD think of my reads? Your idea on rack is interesting - we should not let down pressure - I didn't understand the original reason for the rack wagon but his response has not been great]

Rack, if you're town, can you pleaes SHOW UP AND DO SOMETHING?
The following people own: Pie, Fritz, Inhim

The greatest mafia game ever: http://mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18080
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #791 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Post by FakeGod »

Still catching up...

Someone please explain to me how drmyshotgun's claim gave him instant towncred.

It seems to me that random claim of his was scum_drmy's attempt at some easy newb-town cred.

VOTE: drmyshotgun
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.

Send me a PM if you want to replace in!
The Mini-Librarian
The Mini-Librarian
Goon
The Mini-Librarian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #792 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:03 pm

Post by The Mini-Librarian »

In post 791, FakeGod wrote:Still catching up...

It seems to me that random claim of his was scum_drmy's attempt at some easy newb-town cred.

We are not lynching him today. This has been discussed.

If you can give me a really good reason why we should lynch him now I'll listen. But I'm fairly certain there isn't any.

What is your opinion on rack?
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #793 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Shotgun is a bigger VI than Shotty, and we're not lynching him today anyway. Make a real vote FG
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #794 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:53 pm

Post by DeasVail »

In post 793, GreyICE wrote:Make a real vote FG

i.e. Macros/pine/rack/firestarter
redFF
redFF
Mafia Scum
redFF
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #795 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:21 pm

Post by redFF »

Ahhhh reading
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #796 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:25 pm

Post by Antihero »

The lulz FG vote reminds me that my vote is being wasted. Plus I realized firestarter's not even close to my top scumread anymore now that I've ordered my reads.

UNVOTE:
VOTE: rack

Updated reads (now in order from strongest to weakest!)

Town: vijay, HezLucky, Benmage, Lady, Nero, The Mini-Librarian, GreyICE, khan, red, mastin, Macros, psyche, NihilisticNinja, [shotty 2 - in a category of his own because of toxic levels of duhhhhh]
Scum: rack, Fake God, Junpei, firestarter, drmyshottyizsik
Null: DeasVail, Maxous, scooby, pine
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
drmyshotgun
drmyshotgun
Jack of All Trades
drmyshotgun
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #797 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:45 pm

Post by drmyshotgun »

In post 791, FakeGod wrote:Still catching up...

Continue catching up.
My GTKAS!
100% Win Rate in Micro: 10 Games!!
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #798 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:36 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 787, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 759, Psyche wrote:Khan, how do you go from this:

1. Psyche
- Felt the need to complain repeatedly.
- Frustrating & confusing writing style
- Not sure why he jumped off the rack wagon

To this?:
- Pretty strongly scum

Your first two points are complaints about my style and the third is more of a question than a reason for finding me scummy. And yet you come to this conclusion. I find the very idea that you actually think this way disingenuous.

By the way, I thought I explained my reason for leaving the rack wagon? I suppose I might be remembering wrong, but I doubt it.

I'm trying to do a thorough read so that my return to the front becomes like an emergence from the spring of rebirth. In other words, I'll be in my groove and more capable of helping you guys, more or less. Hopefully this isn't

I am deeply interested in how merely presenting an unlikeable personality can have such a profound effect on how people read your scumminess! That probably isn't the butt of it all — I haven't performed with intellective grace, either. I'll of course need to monitor that in future play, but, oh, the research opportunities! Anyways...all I have for today.

Well, let's take as an example. You use flowery language, bad sentence structure, roundabout thinking, and passivity to essentially say: "Hey, since drmyshottyizsik isn't going to be night-killed, he's only going to be a constant counter-wagon for scum to push. So we should lynch him, but I'm not going to take part." (Which is a fucked-up scummy wishy-washy statement to begin with). However you spread it out over five lines and it takes 4 readthrough to understand. It looked like a trap designed to get someone to misunderstand you. And sure enough is you accusing NihilisticNinja of misrepping you. (Not outright either, but in a bullshit passive way)

There's a weak scumtell that people who try to use super-sophisticated language are more likely to be scum. Generally it shows that they are consciously trying to manipulate. In general, people with town win conditions try to be clear and avoid misrepresentation. Your posts seemingly encourage misrepresentation with your style. It's possible that it's a meta thing, in which case, change yo' style. This game and in future games.

Your reason for unvoting rack was "No longer interested in my instinctive reactions to his posts". Whatever the fuck that means.

lol where do you get this stuff? a correlation between hypersophistication and scumminess. If that's true, I'd love to understand why.

Why would I want to be misunderstood? In what universe does that make sense?

Sure, I should've shut up over the shotty question or spoken more decisively, but the diffidence inherent in my consideration of it all shouldn't be mistaken for wishy-washiness. Also, scummy how?

Still, a 'weak' tell, your opinion of my style (which would tear me up even more than it has if I didn't know that my play so far has been anomalous) (which has nothing to do with scumminess), and a bizarre theory about my intentionally being confusing still doesn't equate to a strong scum read.

I also see that you're adding my shotty opinion to your list, instead of justifying the one already presented. This suggests again that your psyche read justification is post hoc. You're not explaining why you have your opinion, but instead searching out new reasons to justify it. :\
You can't step in the same river twice.
Junpei
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #799 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:41 pm

Post by Junpei »

In post 798, Psyche wrote:This suggests again that your psyche read justification is post hoc. You're not explaining why you have your opinion, but instead searching out new reasons to justify it.

Elaborate?
The melody of logic always plays the notes of truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA41ggsdeXE

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”