Newbie 1198: Mafia on Holiday (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Newbie 1198: Mafia on Holiday (Game Over)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:38 am

Post by Equinox »

It was difficult to stand under all the decorations and not feel some of the holiday cheer. Christmas had come and gone, but the resort was still fairly crowded. Instead of staying inside to serve all the guests, the fellow plowing snow outside the entrance had chosen to go outside to enjoy some fresh air. It wasn't going to take much longer now. As soon as the new year broke and the holiday was over, he would be done with this job. He'd only taken it because the pay was good and the job was short-term; he'd have avoided it otherwise, since the resort was known as a place where shady dealings were made, and most of the locals had agreed that it was best to not stay there for too long. It amazed him how popular the place was with tourists.

He paused. He had heard the chatter from within the building even outside earlier, yet it was quiet now. He was about to go back to his work, thinking it was just a lull in activity, when he heard gunshots inside. His mind went back to the things about which he had been warned about the resort, how there were ties to the mafia... He let the shovel drop from his hands. He had to warn someone, but who? Would they try to kill him for going to the authorities? He decided on consulting the governing council of the town down the hill. He'd heard the stories of how they dealt with the mafia in times past. They would know what to do.

A cached version of the original thread can be downloaded here.

Players

BBmolla (IC)
nurC (SE)
Pizzadudes (SE)
Does Bo Know (SE)

RayFrost (SE)
theamatuer (SE)
LostGirlChan

Rubicon
Jammed

ThursdayAngel
Voidedmafia (SE)
Brinatoo
Askesis

Zenatsu
Ziggler

Spoiler: Game Reveals
Forget Me Not
(1/9)

ThursdayAngel,
mafia goon
, survived

Rest in Peace
(8/9)

Ziggler,
town doctor
, lynched Day 1
nurC (SE),
townie
, killed Night 1
Pizzadudes (SE)
Does Bo Know (SE)
townie
, lynched Day 2
Rubicon
Jammed
town jailkeeper
, killed Night 2
RayFrost (SE)
theamatuer (SE)
LostGirlChan
mafia role cop
, lynched Day 3
BBmolla (IC),
townie
, killed Night 3
Voidedmafia (SE)
Brinatoo
Askesis
townie
, lynched Day 4
Zenatsu,
townie
, endgamed

Game Links

Rules
Setup
Rubicon replaces Jammed
Day 1 Begins
theamatuer replaces LostGirlChan
RayFrost replaces theamatuer
Pizzadudes7 replaces Does Bo Know
Day 2 Begins
Brinatoo replaces Askesis
Day 3 Begins
Day 4 Begins
Aftermath of the Site Crash
Voidedmafia replaces Brinatoo
Endgame
Last edited by Equinox on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:00 am

Post by Equinox »

Rules

(References: Hoopla, Nobody Special, Vel-Rahn Koon, zoraster)

General

1. Be familiar with the sitewide rules and guidelines.
  2. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Use of homophobic, racist, sexist, or any other derogatory slurs -- even if made in a joking manner -- falls under this rule. Keep it civil.
  3. Unless otherwise specified in your role PM or by me, you may not communicate outside of this thread while the game is running. If someone contacts you outside of the game, please let me know immediately!
  4. Do not quote any private communication to which you have access. This includes game-related PMs, instant messages, and QuickTopics. Quoting time stamps from any private communication is also forbidden. Paraphrasing is okay.
  5. If it is not visible to the naked eye, do not post it. This includes, but is not limited to: invisible text, tiny text, encrypted text, and text hidden within tags. Spoiler text, however, is allowed, as long as it is used within reason. For cases of breadcrumbing where you aren't sure, please PM me beforehand.
  6. If you have the ability to edit your posts, don't use it in my game.
  7. #BF0000
    is reserved for the moderator. All other formatting is fair game with the provision that you do not impersonate me. I won't be amused.

Activity

1. Prods will be issued to players if they have not posted within a 72-hour period; they will have 48 hours to respond in the game thread before I search for a replacement. I will also send reminders on request as long as at least 48 hours have passed since the player's last post.
  2. Players who have been prodded 3 times are subject to replacement without further notice. Player-requested prods do not count toward this total.
  3. If you anticipate being away for at least 48 hours, please PM me or post a V/LA notice in the thread with the expected date of your return.

Days and Nights

1. Days have a fixed duration of 3 weeks and Nights last 72 hours. Deadline extensions will be granted only in extreme circumstances.
  2. Lynches occur through simple majority (50% of living players + 1, rounded down). If no majority is reached at deadline or there is a majority of votes for No Lynch, Day will end without a lynch. Once majority is reached, no further votes or unvotes will count.
  3. Votes and vote revocations must be bolded (e.g.,
    Vote: Equinox
    and
    Unvote
    ). Unvotes are preferred but not necessary when switching votes (e.g.,
    Unvote, Vote: No Lynch
    ). Use of the vote tags (e.g., VOTE: Equinox) is optional.
  4. All players, including the lynched player, are allowed to discuss in twilight phase until I post the death scene. Dead players may make one "Bah!" post that contains no game-related content.
  5. If I do not receive your action by deadline, your action is forfeited. You may submit ahead of time; you can also make as many changes as necessary, and at deadline I will take the last action you submitted. Actions may be submitted via PM or QuickTopic. I will send reminders 24 hours before Night is scheduled to end.

Moderator Actions

1. Flavor is for entertainment purposes only and has no significance in the game. (Special thanks to Mina for allowing me to use her idea for this game's flavor!)
  2. For minor questions or vote count errors, please bold your concern in the thread. For all other issues, use PM.
  3. Pretending to break the rules or exploiting loopholes in the rules will be considered breaking the rules.
  4. Any situation not covered above will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

I reserve the right to add, modify, or remove rules as necessary. I will notify you of all changes in the thread.

Please PM me if you need clarification on anything in the rules.

Remember: Have fun, and play to win the game!
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:03 am

Post by Equinox »

Setup

The 2of4 setup is a test game format we're trying out in Newbie Games to get around balance issues with the F11 setup. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are semi-open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen as detailed below:

mafia role cop
    mafia goon
    townies
  • 2 of the following with no duplicates possible:
      town cop
      town doctor
      town jailkeeper
      townie

Keep the following in mind:

1. The role cop has the option of submitting both investigations and kills, even when the goon is still alive.
  2. Mafia must specify who is performing what Night action when the actions are submitted!

Below are all of the possible role PMs:

Player

XXX
(a mafia role cop) and
YYY
(a mafia goon) are part of the local mafia crime family. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.

• During the Day, try to blend in with the normal townies and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT phase ONLY, you may talk with your fellow mafia (via this QuickTopic) and choose another player in the town to kill that Night.
  • One of you must notify the moderator with your choice of who to kill
    and who is performing the kill
    before the Night deadline.
  • The mafia role cop has the ability to investigate another player and learn their role (i.e., vanilla, cop, doctor, or jailkeeper).
  • One of you must notify the moderator with your choice of player that you want to investigate (usually along with the kill) before the Night deadline.
  • If the mafia role cop is blocked by a jailkeeper, then the role cop will receive a PM stating "no result."
  • You may communicate privately via QuickTopic with your fellow mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the Night phase.
  • Please do not communicate with each other outside of the QuickTopic.
  • You win when the number of mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Please confirm by PM.
You must include your role name in your reply!
The game thread is here; I recommend bookmarking this topic for your convenience.

Player

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.

• You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Please confirm by PM.
The game thread is here; I recommend bookmarking this topic for your convenience.

Player

You are a member of the local law enforcement and can tell the good guys from the bad.

• Each NIGHT, you may notify the moderator with your choice of player that you want to investigate before the Night deadline.
  • The moderator will inform you as to that person's guilt or innocence.
  • If you are blocked by a jailkeeper, you will receive a PM stating "no result."
  • In a newbie game, you will always get a correct result (i.e., no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Please confirm by PM.

Player

You are a physician, and can use your medical training to protect people from harm.

• Each NIGHT, you may notify the moderator with your choice of player that you want to protect before the Night deadline.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You will not be informed as to whether your protection was successful or not.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (i.e., no sanity issues).

Please confirm by PM.

Player

You are a prison guard, and it's your job to ensure the undesirables are kept in their place.

• Each NIGHT, you may notify the moderator with your choice of player that you want to send to jail before the Night deadline.
  • If the jailed player attempts to use a Night action (i.e., investigate, protect, or kill), their action will not resolve.
  • If the jailed player is the target of a kill, that action will not resolve. Any other actions (i.e., investigate or protect) will resolve.
  • Neither you nor your target will be made aware of whether your own action was successful.
  • You may not put yourself in jail.

Please confirm by PM.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:09 am

Post by Equinox »

Due to a major site crash, the original thread for this game was lost and can no longer be accessed from the forums. Information about the crash can be found here. A cached version of all 34 pages can be downloaded here. This archive contains all posts that were made up to February 25. If this link does not work for any reason, please contact me and I'll hook you up with a new one.

Many thanks to nurC for helping me with the final page.

The game will resume as soon as I find a replacement for Brinatoo. Thank you for your patience.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:28 am

Post by Equinox »

Voidedmafia replaces Brinatoo.

Given the length of time it took to get the game running again, I will restart the deadline for Day 4. Good luck to all, and, again, thank you very much for being patient.

Vote Count 4.00
Not Voting (3) - ThursdayAngel, Voidedmafia, Zenatsu

With 3 alive, it's 2 to lynch.

The deadline is Tuesday, April 3, 2012, at 6:29 PM EDT (UTC-4).
Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Post by Voidedmafia »

Oh, fun, I get to read through 34 pages in Cached mode *fake joy*

Anyways, while I slog through all that, anything important you two can tell me would be mighty appreciated.
2011 scummies winner (BTS help) and participant;

coming back to Mafia...slowly. Keep an eye for me as a mod.
Also keep an eye for setup review requests.
Zenatsu
Zenatsu
Goon
Zenatsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Post by Zenatsu »

I'm under heavy fire.

Thursday is null-town.

You are the 3rd replacement for your slot.

As of Now I need to make a defense against the last statement against myself from Thursday. Which is why I am under some hot fire.
Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:22 pm

Post by Voidedmafia »

First I was like, "Wait a sec, didn't I get this game?" And then I realized I got 89 and 92, not 98. Silly me.

So, you're under fire because of the last statement against you, or you're under fire because you need to make a defense against the last statement? Just trying to understand that last line a little better.

Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:30 pm

Post by Voidedmafia »

Also, I would've facepalmed so hard if Brin had actually layed down that "vote just to check if you would" vote. So hard. (and fuck the amished tell if anyone pulls that on me).

Anyways, going off of just page 34 (no time to read through the entire cache tonight), it indeed seems you are in the hot seat. TA, anything else you'd like to add on your end of things?

ThursdayAngel
ThursdayAngel
Goon
ThursdayAngel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:01 am

Post by ThursdayAngel »

Hi, Voided, welcome to the game.

Mod already knows that I'm currently away from home in another country, but now I'm formally declaring
V/LA
until the 17th.

I'm glad that my latest post was saved, I'm much obliged to nurc. I would not want to rewrite quite a lengthy post.

Anyway, I have nothing else to add as of yet on my case against Zen. It will probably take me a little while to get back into the spirit of the game, due to the V/LA. However, I do look at you (Voided/Brin) as null-town, currently. If Brin laid down that vote I would immediately have voted him, because the action would seem scummy.
Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:29 am

Post by Voidedmafia »

Aren't I thankful he didn't, eh?

Zenatsu
Zenatsu
Goon
Zenatsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:32 am

Post by Zenatsu »

In post 7, Voidedmafia wrote:First I was like, "Wait a sec, didn't I get this game?" And then I realized I got 89 and 92, not 98. Silly me.

So, you're under fire because of the last statement against you, or you're under fire because you need to make a defense against the last statement? Just trying to understand that last line a little better.

Both really. Mainly because I see the logic and truth in TA's post, however I need to disperse his reasons to call me scummy.

Essentially I'm being pegged as a scum partner with Rayfrost, which isn't entirely true. To not make a cliff-hanger, I've sided with rayfrost, I've gone against rayfrost, as well as BBmolla, for and against. I tend to side with the cases that make the most sense or is logical given the circumstances. Which is why you may see me flop a bit (mostly due to confusion). A lot of the new players who were town didn't particularly act very town, which allowed thew scum team to.

However this is all currently baseless, though you can see it clearly. I still need to make a case contradicting TA to prove that I am town. Otherwise I am the next lynch.
Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:52 pm

Post by Voidedmafia »

You sound rather...defeated. Like you're just putting up a rebuttal just to refute it rather than to try and keep yourself alive.

ThursdayAngel
ThursdayAngel
Goon
ThursdayAngel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:18 am

Post by ThursdayAngel »

Was able to check the Internet today, but I highly doubt that my busy schedule will permit me to do so until the 17th. (
@Mod
: That V/LA was inclusive of March 17, so the earliest I can post will be March 18. Thank you.)

In post 11, Zenatsu wrote:
In post 7, Voidedmafia wrote:First I was like, "Wait a sec, didn't I get this game?" And then I realized I got 89 and 92, not 98. Silly me.

A lot of the new players who were town didn't particularly act very town, which allowed thew scum team to.

However this is all currently baseless, though you can see it clearly. I still need to make a case contradicting TA to prove that I am town. Otherwise I am the next lynch.

I assume that the first sentence I quoted is to be correctly interpreted as "... which allowed the scum team to lynch them"? If this is not so, please correct me.

Anyway, yes, I still see you as the most scummy out of us all.

In post 12, Voidedmafia wrote:You sound rather...defeated. Like you're just putting up a rebuttal just to refute it rather than to try and keep yourself alive.

Voided, can you elaborate on this "rebuttal" vs "keeping alive" dichotomy? I'm afraid I do not understand the point you are trying to put forward, if there even is a point.
Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:12 am

Post by Voidedmafia »

The post he in made in response to me doesn't sound like someone who is trying to fight their way out of a lynch (disregarding what the rollback may have done to people in regards to their willingness to play), but like someone who just wants to go through the motions and get it over with. It's understandable, given the rollback, but it's still not exactly the kind of attitude that would make me more inclined to believe his points and such.

Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:46 am

Post by Voidedmafia »

Yoohoo, peeps. Don't be forgetting this game now.

I've had a few more pressing things to deal with IRL that have prevented me from looking over the cache, but I'm working on it, don't worry.

Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:42 pm

Post by Voidedmafia »

Up to page 3 now (slow going, I know). So far I like both of you.

(Keep in mind that any reads I give during this should not be taken as a definitive read in the present unless I say otherwise)

Zenatsu
Zenatsu
Goon
Zenatsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:20 am

Post by Zenatsu »

In post 12, Voidedmafia wrote:You sound rather...defeated. Like you're just putting up a rebuttal just to refute it rather than to try and keep yourself alive.

Hmm I thought I hit the submit button... Guess not.

It is not a sound of defeat, I fully agree with what TA presented. Its ture, however I am not scum. I must prove to TA that I am not scum, given my actions from each of the day's lynches. I set myself up pretty badly, but I did not think I Would have made it this far. Now I need to justify each of my actions and prove to Thursday, and you, that I am not scum.

But, I've got to get back into the spirit of the game. and with TA V/LA, I would be waiting for a while.

I'll be working on it. I'm not too fond with working around cashe's.
Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:00 am

Post by Voidedmafia »

Well, ignoring the overly-long verbiage in that paragraph that didn't need to be there...

You sure you don't have any questions for me at all yet? THis ain't the Zen and Angel show, after all, and I can't imagine that you don't have SOMETHING to ask me.

Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:07 am

Post by Voidedmafia »

...fuck the what?

report this ho, G.

Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:53 pm

Post by Equinox »

A post containing spam has been deleted.
Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:03 pm

Post by Voidedmafia »

Haven't seen any guys like that on here Crash must've let them in or something.

Question still stands, Zen, TA.

ThursdayAngel
ThursdayAngel
Goon
ThursdayAngel
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:11 pm

Post by ThursdayAngel »

So I'm back. V/LA over.

I'm going to rummage through the cache too, to find anything more about Voided's slot. I don't have anything *at this very moment*, though, sorry.
Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:50 pm

Post by Voidedmafia »

I haven't been keeping active track of who suspects who between you two (which is what I've mainly been trying to focus on since you're the only other two alive, not to mention the only two left from the start of the game), but I did notice that post 148 of Zen's is where he places some sort of hard suspicion on TA (as in, he definitively suspects TA, and isn't just poking or prodding him lightly; not necessarily a vote, but essentially he's a scumread). I didn't see any suspicions of him from you prior to that (discounting anything from page 1 or 2 as those were manly RVS), so do you think you can remember why you suspected him then? I understand if it's hard to remember your mindset then, but any little thing for me helps. You both are still town up to page 7 (busy day today), but this is a pretty interesting find, I think.

Zenatsu
Zenatsu
Goon
Zenatsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:10 am

Post by Zenatsu »

In post 18, Voidedmafia wrote:You sure you don't have any questions for me at all yet? THis ain't the Zen and Angel show, after all, and I can't imagine that you don't have SOMETHING to ask me.

I can not ask you things that brinatoo has stated, I can not ask you things that askesis has stated. You are new, and therefore I have nothing on you. I am waiting for you to ask me questions.

Speaking of which:
note: I removed random fluff from the quote and kept to the real question.

In post 23, Voidedmafia wrote:I did notice that post 148 of Zen's is where he places some sort of hard suspicion on TA. I didn't see any suspicions of him from you prior to that, so do you think you can remember why you suspected him then?

Hmm what page was this on? you said you were up to page 7, so I'll dig around and see if I can refresh my train of thought. If it was early in the game (Day 1) then it was probably something he said, or the way he was acting that day that put up some red flags.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”