Mini 1228: 80's Mafia: Everyone wins. (Mod error)

DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog
Pronoun: she

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:23 am

Post by DeathRowKitty »

Vote: Umbrage
Zajnet
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:18 am

Post by Zajnet »

Here's a PBPA on a player I find scummy. Enjoy.

diddin wrote:/confirm

This is what happens when I don't get sent the game thread, my ass forgets about the game<_<.

Null

diddin wrote:Catching up sooooooooon.

Null

diddin wrote:
Captain Corporal wrote:Hey there! I'm fully recovered from my weekend away and ready to start playing :D Has Day 1 started yet, or is it still pre-game?
On a side note, it looks like I missed RVS (or a close you can get to RVS in pre-game). Either way, some random questions can never hurt...
1. What is your favorite alignment?
2. What timezone are you in?
3. What's your favorite role?
To answer my own questions:
1. Town. The sense of satisfaction when you catch scum is priceless.
2. GMT +10
3. Doctor :P

On the whole Maru-conf-town thing, I'm guessing Maru is probably town. As Umbrage said, scum wouldn't buddy each other so obviously, especially this early in the game. Although I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of DRK being scum, trying to score town points with Maru (and the rest of the town).

1. Town.
2. US Central
3. Tracker or Watcher

Captain Corporal wrote:^PGO right there

That's a fucking dumb thing to say.

Mego wrote:
Maruchan wrote:
Scum don't buddy scum.

You saying that makes it all the more likely for scum to attempt to buddy scum, because they would want to pull something you wouldn't expect. Likewise, me pointing this out makes it less likely. And so on, and so forth. On a side note, would you like some wine?

Bogre wrote:
haoala wrote:
Bogre wrote:Mego is scum. Making up specific numbers is scummy. Really pushing the DRK thing as a ploy seems forcefully distracting.

Have you any experience playing with DRK?

Don't believe so.

I don't think anything really needs to be said about this, except for addressing the numbers thing. The math was very complicated in coming up with that. First, I took the most hilarious number ever: 42. Then, I added the least hilarious number to it, 20. Therefore, 62. If you can't follow, I'll try to explain it later.

Regarding all the votes on me: There is one person in this game whose innocence I can prove, and who can prove mine. Unfortunately, they have yet to show up. Lynch me if you wish, but consider this in your decisions.

Also:
vote: Nikanor

Nik vote looks a little bit like OMGUS here.

Vote: hoala

DRK and Maruchan are likely town. Less sure on Mego.

A whole lotta nothing, with a crappy vote at the end. Answering RQS questions to appear to be cooperating with the town, then a remark which doesn't make sense to me, followed by calling a vote OMGUS and then voting for someone whom he hasn't even mentioned. The last line just seems off to me, as if he is feeling forced to give some reads when he already knows everyone's alignment.

diddin wrote:
haoala wrote:
Umbrage wrote:Exactly. You're not overtly pushing the lynch, you're testing the waters. You want to know which way town will go before you make a firm stance.

My intention was to see how DRK responds, not so much the whole town. Notice how I directed it towards her.

@Diddin - reason for voting? (And my name is haoala)

Just look at your ISO.

Such a terrible answer. Doesn't actually provide reasoning. This comes across as diddin attacking a player just because others have expressed a scum tilt towards him.

diddin wrote:I find it scummy that it took haoala 40 posts to vote someone. Looks like overly cautious scum to me.

But Mego is more scum, seriously.

unvote, Vote: Mego

Setting up two targets with no real reasoning; wagon hopping.
My GTKAS
"okay who the fuck didnt kill me." - nintendoaddict1
Zajnet
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:18 am

Post by Zajnet »

EBWODP: Forgot the:

VOTE: diddin
My GTKAS
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:45 am

Post by DeathRowKitty »

Can you give us the pbpaassijgttywitisad form of that?
Zajnet
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:49 am

Post by Zajnet »

DeathRowKitty wrote:Can you give us the pbpaassijgttywitisad form of that?

Huh?
My GTKAS
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:52 am

Post by DeathRowKitty »

Hm?
Zajnet
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:08 am

Post by Zajnet »

Why can't women ever give me a damn straight answer?

sheesh lol

What did you mean by "pbpaassijgttywitisad?"
My GTKAS
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:12 am

Post by DeathRowKitty »

Oh, my bad, I thought that was a common acronym.

I want the "post by post analyses are stupid so I'm just going to tell you what I think is scummy about diddin" version.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the confusion!
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:06 am

Post by Maruchan »

Ghostlin wrote:
Ghostlin's roommate, Mirin, walks up to him that day, having found Ghostlin on his desk, half asleep in peanut containers and fruit rinds, apple cores and the like. "Ghosty?" He looks at him concernedly. "I have a solution to your problem with the jukebox. You can just go back in time with the new time machine I built in our backyard!"

"Let me guess, I need to go 88 miles an hour to use it?" Ghostlin yawns.

"Yup. And it runs on uranium." Mirin looked proud at himself.

"Sorry, Mir, but I don't have the seventy bijillion dollars I'd need to fill the gas tank. Also, I'd be directly ripping off another game currently being played in queue. We'll just have to continue to jump through this ill decided mess of randomly written plotholes together."

"Aww...."

I was about to say "You haven't been reading the BTTF game I am in have you?" XD
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Parabollocks
Parabollocks
Goon
Parabollocks
Goon
Goon

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 am

Post by Parabollocks »

Umbrage wrote:Nice try.

Mego wrote:You play a game with a person you have never played with before, and you think he is scum based simply on how he acts? This is so flawed I don't even.

Die scum die.

Umbrage's logic > yours

request votecount
Town: 4-1
Scum: 0-1

Going under a mafia personality revelation, my meta will be fluxuating.
Mego
Mego
Townie
Mego
Townie
Townie

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:14 pm

Post by Mego »

Umbrage wrote:
You play a game with a person you have never played with before, and you think he is scum based simply on how he acts? This is so flawed I don't even.

YES.

IF YOU ACT SCUMMY, I THINK YOU'RE SCUM.

THIS ISN'T ROCKET SCIENCE.

IT'S CALLED SCUMHUNTING.

Scummy behavior is different for each person. While one person may act completely serious as scum, another may attempt to drag the game off into pointless tangential discussion. Having never played with me before, you have no idea what my scum behavior is and what my town behavior is. Simply going off of so-called "typical cases" is sure to backfire on you, because no mafia player is typical.

tl;dr: You can't say a player is acting scummy when you have never interacted with them before because everyone is unique and snowflakes and Santa Claus and etc.

Also consider that, after I corrected you about who I was referring to in that quote, you
still
insisted I was scum, despite the only semi-real evidence you have was that quote when interpreted horribly incorrectly. You changed your evidence to fit the conclusion you wanted. That's bad.
This is where my stats would go if I thought stats were important and/or useful at all. Instead, I have this nice microrant.
Bogre
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:24 pm

Post by Bogre »

Mego wrote:

tl;dr: You can't say a player is acting scummy when you have never interacted with them before because everyone is unique and snowflakes and Santa Claus and etc.

Yes, you can. You're essentially claiming meta is the only way to know if someone is being scummy, if I'm reading that right.

If you think he was using meta to make that claim by having not played with you before, please link that.
Show
Murder, Corruption, Betrayal.
ArmageddonMUD
www.armageddon.org

Scum do it in the Shadows.
Mego
Mego
Townie
Mego
Townie
Townie

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:55 pm

Post by Mego »

A player's behavior is not inherently scummy. It is only by applying meta knowledge of the player to their behavior that allows the behavior to be classified as scummy or not. Not all players act the same, even with identical roles. Therefore, saying one behavioral quirk is scummy for all players is logically impossible, because there will be at least one player who acts that way as town.
This is where my stats would go if I thought stats were important and/or useful at all. Instead, I have this nice microrant.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:25 pm

Post by Umbrage »

DeathRowKitty wrote:

Unexplained votes are my favourite kind of votes. :roll:
Mego wrote:
Umbrage wrote:
You play a game with a person you have never played with before, and you think he is scum based simply on how he acts? This is so flawed I don't even.

YES.

IF YOU ACT SCUMMY, I THINK YOU'RE SCUM.

THIS ISN'T ROCKET SCIENCE.

IT'S CALLED SCUMHUNTING.

Scummy behavior is different for each person. While one person may act completely serious as scum, another may attempt to drag the game off into pointless tangential discussion. Having never played with me before, you have no idea what my scum behavior is and what my town behavior is. Simply going off of so-called "typical cases" is sure to backfire on you, because no mafia player is typical.

Uh, yes you can. That's called scumhunting. Yes, some tells are unique to certain people, but we're all human. Some things are universal. Besides, when it comes to haoala, I'm not nitpicking his behaviour, I'm talking about his intent.
Mego wrote:Also consider that, after I corrected you about who I was referring to in that quote, you
still
insisted I was scum, despite the only semi-real evidence you have was that quote when interpreted horribly incorrectly. You changed your evidence to fit the conclusion you wanted. That's bad.

No, I think you're scum because you protected haoala and OMGUSed me.
Mego wrote:A player's behavior is not inherently scummy. It is only by applying meta knowledge of the player to their behavior that allows the behavior to be classified as scummy or not. Not all players act the same, even with identical roles. Therefore, saying one behavioral quirk is scummy for all players is logically impossible, because there will be at least one player who acts that way as town.

Get out. If you believe that shit, this game clearly isn't for you.
I'll explain it to you. You have to get someone else to understand it for you.
Zajnet
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:34 pm

Post by Zajnet »

Ironically, I too dislike PBPAs. However, he only has 5 posts, and I felt that a PBPA was the best way to show why I think he's scum. If you want reasons outside the context of a PBPA, just read what I wrote and ignore the quotes :P
My GTKAS
diddin
diddin
Mafia Scum
diddin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:56 pm

Post by diddin »

Nikanor wrote:Hey diddin is this one of those times where you hate your role so you never post and then make really terrible posts when you do post?

No, school's just been a bitch.

Zajnet wrote:
diddin wrote:
haoala wrote:
Umbrage wrote:Exactly. You're not overtly pushing the lynch, you're testing the waters. You want to know which way town will go before you make a firm stance.

My intention was to see how DRK responds, not so much the whole town. Notice how I directed it towards her.

@Diddin - reason for voting? (And my name is haoala)

Just look at your ISO.

Such a terrible answer. Doesn't actually provide reasoning. This comes across as diddin attacking a player just because others have expressed a scum tilt towards him.

I was reaction fishing to see if haoala would overreact. It was supposed to be bad reasoning.
Show
Town 8/4
Mafia 2/3
3rd Party 0/0

Everyone loves Diddin-Slaxx
benoni
benoni
Goon
benoni
Goon
Goon

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:56 pm

Post by benoni »

diddin wrote:I was reaction fishing to see if haoala would overreact. It was supposed to be bad reasoning.

I don't think that's a good reason to have a bad reason, not in the game's current state, anyway.
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:39 pm

Post by DeathRowKitty »

Parabollocks wrote:
Umbrage wrote:Nice try.

Mego wrote:You play a game with a person you have never played with before, and you think he is scum based simply on how he acts? This is so flawed I don't even.

Die scum die.

Umbrage's logic > yours

request votecount
I feel better about having so little content from you now that you've made this awesomely content-filled scumhunty super-post. Thumbs up, dude.

Mego wrote:Scummy behavior is different for each person. While one person may act completely serious as scum, another may attempt to drag the game off into pointless tangential discussion. Having never played with me before, you have no idea what my scum behavior is and what my town behavior is. Simply going off of so-called "typical cases" is sure to backfire on you, because no mafia player is typical.

This is only true if you're looking at the wrong things.

Umbrage wrote:
DeathRowKitty wrote:

Unexplained votes are my favourite kind of votes. :roll:
Hey, you actually noticed your name in my post this time. Only took you four tries and a vote. Respond to whatever the hell it is I keep asking you.

Zajnet wrote:Ironically, I too dislike PBPAs. However, he only has 5 posts, and I felt that a PBPA was the best way to show why I think he's scum. If you want reasons outside the context of a PBPA, just read what I wrote and ignore the quotes :P
Just give us the one or two biggest points. Even with so few posts, PBPAs are worse than nothing in most cases.

benoni wrote:
diddin wrote:I was reaction fishing to see if haoala would overreact. It was supposed to be bad reasoning.

I don't think that's a good reason to have a bad reason, not in the game's current state, anyway.
I feel better about having so little content from you now that you've made this awesomely content-filled scumhunty super-post. Thumbs up, dude.
2birds1stone
2birds1stone
Mafia Scum
2birds1stone
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:14 am

Post by 2birds1stone »

Yeah, sorry about that, RL's a little crazy. I was reading, just didn't have the time to post anything

I don't see anything wrong with PBPA other than the ability to take posts out of context and the length they can take.

Liking the 'lynch diddin' idea, I was getting bored of haoala/mego wagons.

If hoala or mego flips town, do we assume the other to be innocent?

A lot of us, myself included, didn't notice that the mod had already stated that there are no jesters. If Nikannor made a similar mistake, it's possible he attempted to act like a jester in order to avoid lynching...?

Unvote

Vote: diddin

his name's really fun to type, and you can sing it to the Mario dungeon theme. Diddin, diddin, diddin.
W/L/D = 10/10/3

I drew my avatar myself!
2birds1stone
2birds1stone
Mafia Scum
2birds1stone
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:39 am

Post by 2birds1stone »

These are some portions of posts from near the start of the game that I noticed during my rereading. They all revolve around Maruchan's suggestion to popcorn-style mass-claim our song's year.
haoala wrote:/confirm

@Maruchan - to what purpose?
Parabolloks wrote:1980

not like it really matters but ok
Maruchan wrote:13 players, typical 10v3 setup, it is viable that there are no double years. I wanted all 13 year claims so I could examine this. if only 3-4 had double-claimed years, that would have been interesting information.
haoala wrote:Are we still doing the massclaiming thing?

This is my take on it: Maruchan, townie, asks us all to claim seemingly useless information on good faith. Hoala, scum, doesn't want to claim until he knows exactly what information Maruchan thinks he can glean from it. Maruchan, not wanting to foster feelings of distrust amongst the town, reveals his hand. Hoala, not wanting to look scummy, then asks whether the claim should go ahead safe in the knowledge that he is prepared for it.

I included Parabollock's post because he broke the popcorn-style; I also find this suspicous.
W/L/D = 10/10/3

I drew my avatar myself!
2birds1stone
2birds1stone
Mafia Scum
2birds1stone
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:41 am

Post by 2birds1stone »

I am aware this is awfully speculative.
Ace Atourney
is influencing my logic unhealthily.
W/L/D = 10/10/3

I drew my avatar myself!
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:30 am

Post by Umbrage »

I think DRK needs a hug.

*huggle*
I'll explain it to you. You have to get someone else to understand it for you.
haoala
haoala
Goon
haoala
Goon
Goon

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:37 am

Post by haoala »

My name is haoala. No, 2birds, that is not true. I asked the first question because I didn't know what he wanted to massclaim the year for. Wouldn't you be curious yourself? I asked the second question because I thought no one doing it anymore (Pg 2 had no claims). On rereading, I realised that I was the one who stopped the claiming, my bad.

The people who have claimed:
Parabollocks (1980)
Mego (1980)
Maruchan (1983)
Nikanor (1983)
Umbrage (1984)
DRK (1986)
haoala (1989)

There were 2 pairs, therefore I think it is likely that "one-townie-per-year" is untrue.

I'm not liking 2birds' 293.
benoni
benoni
Goon
benoni
Goon
Goon

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:24 am

Post by benoni »

Maybe the 'slightly bastard' aspect has to do with misleading years. Like, 1 townie per year, except for 1 pair of townies with the same year. The one-townie-per-year will look correct until it causes you to lynch two townies.

Paranoia notwithstanding, I like the year claim idea. So, Claim: 1981.
haoala
haoala
Goon
haoala
Goon
Goon

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:29 am

Post by haoala »

That would make 11 townies. Unless you're saying a year was skipped.

And there are 2 pairs of people with the same years so far. Are you saying one of the 4 is scum?

I don't think the mod did it like that.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”