Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:15 am

Post by Thok »

bertrand wrote:If you think it's a bad idea, tell me. But I still think the role blocker should aim wherever he did again, as it could net us a quick scum. I don't see how that's a bad strategy. Someone explain it please.
If the scum knows that the roleblocker is aiming at the same person, scum can simply adjust who is doing the kill that night.

@Adele-I've been in at least two mini's with a cult in place of a normal mafia; however in both cases the cult had a limit to the total numbers of recruits and also had the option to nightkill people instead of recruiting.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:44 am

Post by Fuldu »

Thok wrote:@Adele-I've been in at least two mini's with a cult in place of a normal mafia; however in both cases the cult had a limit to the total numbers of recruits and also had the option to nightkill people instead of recruiting.
Heh, yeah that was fun. In Gotham, anyway, I was that cult leader. After recruiting two players, I was no longer able to recruit and became, for all intents and purposes, a de facto mafia group. We were the only scum in that game and I remember the first two days' worth of discussion of "Why haven't there been any kills?" as being enormously entertaining.

But, the fact that that's a possibility doesn't mean we should place too much weight on it. I've been in other games with no early kills that happened for a variety of reasons that didn't have anything to do with an odd setup. Besides which, by this time in Gotham, I had done all my recruiting and we were just a scum group. So if that mechanism is in place now, looking for a mafia group and looking for a cult would be roughly equivalent activities.
It takes a village to raise a lynch mob.
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:45 am

Post by Adele »

Thok wrote:@Adele-I've been in at least two mini's with a cult in place of a normal mafia; however in both cases the cult had a limit to the total numbers of recruits and also had the option to nightkill people instead of recruiting.
Erm, what question of mine are you answering here? The only one I can see is this:
Adele wrote:Isn't it rather more likely there are protection-related roles / roleblockers etc?
Protection roles
are
commoner than cults; that question was semi-rhetorical. What question were you answering - or did you just want to imply I said something that I didn't?
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:55 am

Post by Thok »

Adele-I'm justing pointing out that we shouldn't ignore the possibility of a cult-I'd give it roughly a 25% of occuring. But (as Fuldu points out) by now the difference between a cult and a scum group is pretty small.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
VitaminR
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:03 am

Post by VitaminR »

Nemesis wrote:I was saying that for those couple of posts there was a number of people who had said something scummy and I didn't want to speedlynch any of them. That means I was doing the opposite of what you are saying... I was saying we shouldn't lynch any of them now and we should keep this in mind. Lynches this early in the day mean hardly anyone has to actually say something that could come across scummy.

In case you forgot I defended Pie earlier and said Bertrand was acting scummily earlier as well... I also voted for TSAGod. None of those actions did a lot and we ended up lynching someone else because they wouldn't claim. I feel that if we let people slide then we will do the same thing so keep this is in mind later, but I also feel that some people who don't really post are just avoiding suspicion totally and we shouldn't allow that to happen either. I will vote later, just not yet... I want more discussion before we consider lynching someone and because I want more discussion it means that I am not limiting the town's scope as you say I am...
Fair enough. To be honest, it was mostly the categorisation of players that set bells ringing here. Players separating others from the rest in terms of scumminess/potential lynches makes me a bit uncomfortable. It is restrictive and fosters manipulation.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:29 am

Post by Fuldu »

VitaminR wrote:Players separating others from the rest in terms of scumminess/potential lynches makes me a bit uncomfortable.
Huh? That's how we decide who to lynch. It can be done in a collaborative manner, but it typically starts with one or two players indicating which players they would consider as potential lynches and why.
VitaminR
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:35 am

Post by VitaminR »

In an abstract sense, yes. When it's done in clear terms there is no room for the valuable chaotic process of town interaction and it becomes easier to manipulate for scum.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:52 am

Post by Fuldu »

VitaminR wrote:In an abstract sense, yes. When it's done in clear terms there is no room for the valuable chaotic process of town interaction and it becomes easier to manipulate for scum.
Ooh, I completely disagree with that. Partly I suppose it's just a matter of playstyle, but in games where I'm scum I find the "valuable chaotic process of town interaction" to be much easier to manipulate than a discussion in which everyone is expressing their suspicions in a clear and straightforward manner, which is what Nemesis was doing.
VitaminR
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:57 am

Post by VitaminR »

I don't object to Nemesis outlining his suspicions clearly. I object to what seemed to be quick decisions picking out three people as "lynch material" for today right away.
StevieT92
StevieT92
Goon
StevieT92
Goon
Goon

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:00 pm

Post by StevieT92 »

Fuldu wrote:
VitaminR wrote:In an abstract sense, yes. When it's done in clear terms there is no room for the valuable chaotic process of town interaction and it becomes easier to manipulate for scum.
Ooh, I completely disagree with that. Partly I suppose it's just a matter of playstyle, but in games where I'm scum I find the "valuable chaotic process of town interaction" to be much easier to manipulate than a discussion in which everyone is expressing their suspicions in a clear and straightforward manner, which is what Nemesis was doing.
I agree with Fuldu here 100%.
Aelyn
Aelyn
Goon
Aelyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:33 am

Post by Aelyn »

The caption appears for the first time this story arc.
The Author, in a caption, wrote: Thok – 2 (TSAGod, Pie is Good)
Bertrand – 1 (Stevie T92)
Nemesis – 1 (Vitamin R)
With 11 still alive, it is 6 to lynch.
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:50 am

Post by Adele »

...'K, things have kinda stalled. Any ideas on how to keep ourselves talking? Might comic-claims be handy (ie. "I'm from QC" / "I'm from order of the stick" etc)?
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:50 am

Post by Nemesis »

No. Claiming of any kind is not a good idea...

The poweroles will be giving themselves away, very bad idea. Really really awful.

That being said, I agree with the slowing down is not great thing so I guess we need a bandwagon of some kind or something... No one really stands out as lynchable based on their actions although some people have found actions scummy and are willing to vote for them I just don't see it. Bertrand is the person who sticks out the most for me, but I don't feel like voting for him just based on things that could be n00bish instead of scummy.
[url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=414662#414662]Damnit, Nemesis.[/url]
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:19 am

Post by Adele »

Nemesis wrote:No. Claiming of any kind is not a good idea...

The poweroles will be giving themselves away, very bad idea. Really really awful.
I'm cool with not doing it, but I don't agree with the power-role statement. You might be able to figure role out from character, but not comic. All it'd do is limit options for later full roleclaims.

However, yeah, I agree, there's no solid upside. I'm gonna have to do a reread. Darn.

@everyone: getting a bit lurky here. Could you all at least check in? Try to say something, but even if you've not got any content to add, say "Hi, I'm here, blah blah blah"
StevieT92
StevieT92
Goon
StevieT92
Goon
Goon

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:52 am

Post by StevieT92 »

I will be gone until sunday. At that point I will probably reread.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:38 pm

Post by Thok »

I am here. I've been focusing on other games. I'll try to sit down and write something more substantial tonight.
Pie_is_good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Massclaim_is_Good

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:01 am

Post by Pie_is_good »

I am back.

:blink:

Okay, I confused Bertrand and Thok in that last post. I'm seeing both as somewhat scummy, and I could honestly go with either. Bertrand could be passed off as a scum or just an inexperienced townie.

Thok almost seemed so in to the "cult" idea based on just two nokills-- there are plenty of explanations for that other than cult, and he just seemed to be a little too in to that idea. It looked to me like he had extra information.
I am a stand-up dude of genuine flyness.
VitaminR
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:56 am

Post by VitaminR »

Fuldu wrote:
VitaminR wrote:Players separating others from the rest in terms of scumminess/potential lynches makes me a bit uncomfortable.
Huh? That's how we decide who to lynch. It can be done in a collaborative manner, but it typically starts with one or two players indicating which players they would consider as potential lynches and why.
Btw, I think the main problem I have with this is that we have no guarantee of Nemesis's alignment. That's why it is potentially easy to manipulate, seeing as it is a possibility is making the list.

If done in a collaborative manner by the majority of players I have no problems with it, but that rarely happens in my experience.
VitaminR
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:57 am

Post by VitaminR »

Minor correction:
That's why it is potentially easy to manipulate, seeing as it is a possibility
scum
is making the list.
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:08 am

Post by Nemesis »

Sure, but if scum post their thoughts on a lot of people you will be able to figure out their scum buddies and win the game fairly easily. You could agree or disagree with the people, others can do the same. It's not something I particularly feel is needed for a lynch, lists and things... It would give scum a huge advantage to know what every townsperson is thinking, a few people don't give the scum too much info and it is useful to come back to later, when we know alignments everything becomes easier if we can see what the townies said and what the scum said. If no one says anything then we arn't really getting anywhere.

I don't want everyone to follow me like sheep, that would make the game way too hard. I'd be random guessing and we'd fall apart, when I die you can look back on this and it might help...
[url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=414662#414662]Damnit, Nemesis.[/url]
Aelyn
Aelyn
Goon
Aelyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:11 am

Post by Aelyn »

OK, guys, character development is all well and good but the story arc does need to get started sometime.

Retractable deadline: Next Monday, 2:00 pm GMT
(just over a week.) I'll make a definite decision about the deadline by 2:00 pm Thursday. If discussion picks up, I'll retract it.
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:09 pm

Post by Adele »

Vote: Thok
Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis
Dammit, Nemesis

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:40 pm

Post by Nemesis »

Do you want to give a reason? It helps the discussion, even if you are just repeating something that's already been said.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:48 pm

Post by Thok »

No, I deserve it; I've been lurking too much and paying attention to other games that I'm in while neglecting this one.

Adele, I think mass comic claiming is a bad idea, for roughly the reasons Akonas gave yesterday-we don't know what interactions there are between various characters in comics.

I guess I'll continue where I was yesterday and
vote TSAGod
although this will probably change on a reread..
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #199 (ISO) » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:29 am

Post by Adele »

Unvote
then.

We have a problem; we bandwagoned a townie yesterday and no-one got on it in a particularly scummy way. This is just Day 1, mark 2.

Can anyone think of a gambit that's likely to raise contention and so bring out some scummy behaviour? First person to suggest something useful gets a cookie... heh, or should that be a pancake :D ?

(btw, in past years I've given up lying for Lent, but I don't think that would be too smart this year :P )

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”