The StarCraft II thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #675 (ISO) » Mon May 30, 2011 12:10 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

So I'm in a little bronze tourney tonight. Any suggestions on defending against Zealot rush, Cannon rush, or 8 pool as Terran?
green shirt thursdays
Moratorium
Moratorium
Mafia Scum
Moratorium
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #676 (ISO) » Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 pm

Post by Moratorium »

Men's evil manners live in brass; their virtues we write in water.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #677 (ISO) » Mon May 30, 2011 12:31 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Baneling bust... so I just make multiple layers of walls? And have Marines to fight off the zerglings that come afterwards?
green shirt thursdays
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #678 (ISO) » Mon May 30, 2011 12:53 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

xRECKONERx wrote:Baneling bust... so I just make multiple layers of walls? And have Marines to fight off the zerglings that come afterwards?

A) If you can make it so add-ons aren't part of your wall in it helps as they are fragile.
B) If you have supply depots as part of the wall in then put a single bunker behind it.
C) Keep your marines somewhat spread out so the first baneling through the hole doesn't instagib them all.

Best against BBust (The barrack placement, ignore the supply depot / reaper shananigans):

Good against BBust (Note bunker anchoring the supply depots):

Helpful trick:
Banelings deal 20 damage to marauders, Marauders have 125 HP. So they either send lings forward to kill the marauder in the choke while your marines / marauders behind the wall in all shoot at them or waste 7 banes on it (for comparison it takes 6 banes to kill a supply depot).
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #679 (ISO) » Mon May 30, 2011 2:45 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

So I completely fucked up my opening build and was a full 4 supply behind him due to lag at the beginning.

:(

At least my first opponent no-showed so I technically made it to round 2
green shirt thursdays
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #680 (ISO) » Mon May 30, 2011 5:02 pm

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

How do I find my #?
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #681 (ISO) » Mon May 30, 2011 5:04 pm

xRECKONERx wrote:I have never done a FFA, it seems too intimidating.

Also, Heart of the Swarm teaser went up yesterday, woot woot.

thx
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
Moratorium
Moratorium
Mafia Scum
Moratorium
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #682 (ISO) » Mon May 30, 2011 5:10 pm

Post by Moratorium »

mouseover your avatar for your character code
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #683 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:36 am

Post by AGar »

xRECKONERx wrote:[1] Well, to be fair, it's another full-length campaign (the same size as Wings of Liberty),[2] plus a bunch of multiplayer mods with new ladders for the [3] new units and buildings (lurkers, apparently). [4] I don't mind paying full price for it, especially since we won't even see it until Q1/Q2 2012.

[1] - Disagree. 20 missions are slated for HotS. WoL had 29. Brood War had 30 missions just as SC Vanilla did, but was roughly 1/2 the price. Paying full price for this is Blizzard testing their luck.
[2] - Doesn't make it a new game, these are just upgrades to B.net 2.0 that they could phase in without a new game (and probably should, to be fair).
[3] - Yes, but lurkers aren't confirmed afaik for HotS multiplayer, which is where it matters most to add/subtract units. Again, BW had 6 new units - 2 per race.
[4] - The time it takes Blizz to develop it shouldn't factor in.

I saw the TL coverage of the HotS event. I'm severely underwhelmed by what I've seen so far. I dunno, I'm anticipating the beta to see what we'll get out of it. Should be interesting, to say the least.

However, I think I'm gonna start playing again soon-ish. Once life figures itself out. Because I need to have that constant feeling of how terribad I am in my life again.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #684 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:40 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

Knight of Cydonia wrote:Well, those who are REALLY INTO SC2 are going to get taken for $180. A game and 2 expansions sold as 3 full price games is just not a good thing for RTS in general.

Q: How much will Heart of the Swarm cost?

A:
We typically don't provide details about pricing until the game is closer to release. We do view Heart of the Swarm as an expansion set, so for the regions that have a standard box business model such as North America and Europe, we will price accordingly.

They aren't full priced.

[3] - Yes, but lurkers aren't confirmed afaik for HotS multiplayer, which is where it matters most to add/subtract units.

Lurkers are confirmed not coming back, they never mentioned the defiler though so my wild pipe dream lives on.
scotmany12
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #685 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:57 am

Post by scotmany12 »

I have no idea where this idea that HotS will be a full priced game came from. Blizzard has stated multiple times that both expansions will be priced as expansions.
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #686 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:20 am

Post by Papa Zito »

From the screenshots I've seen it looks awfully WC3-ish where you're playing a hero unit (Kerrigan) all the time.

Also banelings everywhere for some reason.
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #687 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:24 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

Papa Zito wrote:From the screenshots I've seen it looks awfully WC3-ish where you're playing a hero unit (Kerrigan) all the time.

Also banelings everywhere for some reason.

So many banelings.

All those screenshots were from the one level they were demonstrating, the game is still in very early beta so they only had 2 somewhat working levels to show.

Though to be fair if the final game does indeed have banelings everywhere I would be okay with it.
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #688 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:49 am

Post by Papa Zito »

Have a look at this.
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #689 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:49 am

Post by AGar »

scotmany12 wrote:I have no idea where this idea that HotS will be a full priced game came from. Blizzard has stated multiple times that both expansions will be priced as expansions.

Mainly because initially Blizzard had hinted that you'd be paying the full retail price for a brand new game on all 3 games since the split was announced. Only recently have they stated "We will be pricing HotS and the other Protoss lame-o x-pac as expansions."

I'll buy it no matter what, but the justifications that were being used for full-price were wrong, imo.

TheButtonmen wrote:Lurkers are confirmed not coming back, they never mentioned the defiler though so my wild pipe dream lives on.

Are they? Damn. That would be sick to see lurkers back. :(
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
scotmany12
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #690 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:54 am

Post by scotmany12 »

AGar wrote:
scotmany12 wrote:I have no idea where this idea that HotS will be a full priced game came from. Blizzard has stated multiple times that both expansions will be priced as expansions.

Mainly because initially Blizzard had hinted that you'd be paying the full retail price for a brand new game on all 3 games since the split was announced. Only recently have they stated "We will be pricing HotS and the other Protoss lame-o x-pac as expansions."

I'll buy it no matter what, but the justifications that were being used for full-price were wrong, imo.

Except this is false. From the moment they announced that SCII would be a trilogy, it has been stated that the HotS and LotV will both be priced as expansions. They never initially hinted that you would be paying full retail price for all 3 games.

EDIT: http://www.starcraft-source.com/article ... ew/?id=261

They'll be priced appropriately to the content. Right now, the plans are to do something along the lines of a full single player campaign and some additional features to the multi-player side.
It'll obviously use the same engine; so that, to me, is an expansion price point.
If we decided to put in 3 new races and a bunch of new technology and features, maybe that would be a stand-alone product.
But right now, we're looking at much more of an expansion-like feature set.

This all from August, 2009.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #691 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:02 am

Post by JDodge »

scotmany12 wrote:
AGar wrote:

Except this is false. From the moment they announced that SCII would be a trilogy, it has been stated that the HotS and LotV will both be priced as expansions. They never initially hinted that you would be paying full retail price for all 3 games.

They'll be priced appropriately to the content. Right now, the plans are to do something along the lines of a full single player campaign and some additional features to the multi-player side.
It'll obviously use the same engine; so that, to me, is an expansion price point.
If we decided to put in 3 new races and a bunch of new technology and features, maybe that would be a stand-alone product.

shut up with your facts and logic
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #692 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:27 am

Post by AGar »

scotmany12 wrote:
AGar wrote:

Eh whatever. I know I wasn't the only one in the community under that impression, and I specifically remember talking to some friends about whether we'd drop $180 on it or not, and we all pretty much agreed we would solely because it was SC2.

scotmany12
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #693 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:56 am

Post by scotmany12 »

JDodge wrote:shut up with your facts and logic

I'm sorry jd :(
I'll join everyone else in making baseless assumptions now.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #694 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:53 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I could've sworn I read somewhere that it was strongly rumored the lurkers would be back for HotS.
green shirt thursdays
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #695 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:51 am

Post by JDodge »

xRECKONERx wrote:I could've sworn I read somewhere that it was strongly rumored the lurkers would be back for HotS.

i read somewhere that it was strongly rumored it must be happening

yepyep

i mean if it was weakly rumored, it'd be completely untrustworthy and pointless conjecture/gossip

but this is
strongly rumored

serious

business
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #696 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:12 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

http://gameaxis.com/exclusive-interview ... er-part-1/

Q. Return of old units?

We’ll certainly have the old units [laughs]

Q. What about Lurkers? Will we see them ever again?

Well certainly Lurkers
will probably be in the solo campaign
. Uhm. No guarantees.

But whether we put them in multi, it really depends on a number of factors.

The reason we pulled the Lurker from multi was that they were simply just weren’t useful at the end of the day. Like, the reality was that so many units had taken over his combat role as we went forward – infesters, roaches and banelings all were doing things better than the Lurker was doing at the time and we found that we just weren’t building them in games really all that much

We were so in love with the unit that we kept it way past its prime like it was sitting way at the very end of the tech tree. It was like an artillery unit now and it was doing all this crazy stuff and it was not really even a Lurker anymore.

It didn’t really make sense but that’s what the unit had become and it was just a desperate attempt to hold on to it and as we looked at it this was not a unit the game needed. The Lurker was not actually doing what it used to do and the game had changed too much for this unit to have the same core role.

I do know there was a big outcry from certain players; not specifically for that unit although they’ll sometimes say that. Although
the outcry
I’ve heard
is that they wish they had more ways to use cloak or burrow specifically as a threat to enemies and they feel they have lost that with the Lurker. I think that is a fair feedback from our players that is something we will definitely look to address in the expansion

Like I said - it's a rumor. But it's not completely baseless, since the lead designer said they're addressing the issue.
green shirt thursdays
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #697 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:45 am

Post by Claus »

Oh well, I'm happy they won't be full priced :-)

In the reddit thread about the HoTS, the guy who was there said that one of the banelings evolutions was a super baneling that when exploding spawned two regular banelings, which when exploding finally spawned two more baby banelings each.

That is so awesome.

Also, it seems that in the preview they only had access to lings, roaches and blings, thus the massive amount of blings (not that I have anything against that)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #698 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:06 pm

Rampage
Moratorium
Moratorium
Mafia Scum
Moratorium
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #699 (ISO) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:35 pm

Post by Moratorium »

I'm so friending you.

Return to “The Arcade”