Newbie 1082: No Country for Old Mafia - Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Romanus
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:40 am

Post by Romanus »

Prosaurus wrote: To be honest, I think crazy explained it much better than you did.
As IC: I have no problem admitting that I did it poorly. I'd also love suggestions as to how to do the "ease in" in a better fashion.
Well, Romanus is a professional shit stirrer
-Valen85 (Newbie 383)
Romanus
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:43 am

Post by Romanus »

Pressure is a wonderful thing. The fact that we can up the pressure this fast, I believe, is a good thing. I believe to truly move from RVS to real substantive votes, a real wagon has to be formed, with real consequences.
-Valen85 (Newbie 383)
WingDamage9001
WingDamage9001
Townie
WingDamage9001
Townie
Townie

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:55 am

Post by WingDamage9001 »

zMuffinMan wrote: Did you miss Romanus's post? I was pointing out irony.

I was (and am) trying to extract information based on something I picked up that didn't feel right. I don't feel this is proof he is scum, but it's a lead to extract information on the way he plays the game.

I'm not sure what you mean by a transgression large enough to warrant suspicion. Everything is suspicious and everyone is suspicious. I'm the only person I can trust right now.
I didn't. And I'm not sure what irony you mean.

Sure.

I mean is it suspicious enough to follow up on. Do you think that it was scummy enough to point out? You said that jumping on people for something tiny was scummy, so for you not to be scummy, you must not think it was tiny. You contradict yourself, and I don't like it.
Romanus wrote:Pressure is a wonderful thing. The fact that we can up the pressure this fast, I believe, is a good thing. I believe to truly move from RVS to real substantive votes, a real wagon has to be formed, with real consequences.
How much do you support this wagon? L-2 is a dangerous position. Are you prepared to see a speedlynch like this?
Prosaurus
Prosaurus
Goon
Prosaurus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:03 am

Post by Prosaurus »

Analysis on: Misder
Town reads in green

Scum reads in red

Neutral in black
Misder wrote:
Unvote [L]
Fair enough. The thing here is, if he keeps his vote, people could say he has no valid reason to vote. Watch what happens if he unvotes.
Misder wrote:1. Few. 0 on this forum though, so the way I play may be a bit different. Oh, and epicmafia, but that's a completely different game imo.
2. It's all about deception and hunting. And it feels good to nail down mafia or completely messing with town.

@crazy- I got a response from [L] and I'm satisfied. Really, no reason to vote for someone that I feel is less scummy than the rest, even if it is RVS.

Also, this game pace is really slow from what I'm used to... zzzzz
Agreed. This is pretty slow.
Misder wrote:Cause I have time, can everyone link one game (from this site or another) that they have played in? It's ok if you don't have a game to link, cause I don't. The forum I played in needed permission to get in...
Getting to know people,

Or finding the biggest threat?

Misder wrote:US EDT (UTC/GMT -4 hours) Its 11:27 PM right now. My times will vary a lot I think, mostly at my nighttime I suppose.
Null
Misder wrote:@cjdrum
1) not voting yet, waiting for more activity right now
2) as of right now, zMuffinMan. I feel he is most protown right now alongside with [L], but since I already had some sort of relationship with [L] in the RVS stage, zMuffinMan would be the ideal choice.

And
Misder wrote:Cause I have time, can everyone link one game (from this site or another) that they have played in? It's ok if you don't have a game to link, cause I don't. The forum I played in needed permission to get in...
So far, I only got one game, and that was from Prosaurus, and I dont know if that was accidental or not.
Odd choice of scumbuddy. Choosing who you think is most town?
Misder wrote:@[L] It's the same way you are viewing me. I see you as more protown than others (no where do I mention that I'm positive that you are innocent like you state) the same way you view me as more scummy than others. Simple as that. In my book of notes, you and muffin are the only ones that don't have some sort of slight scum read, esp. since you guys questioned the same things I have in my notes, therefore less scummy. I'll agree that it is very early though, which is why I'm holding back all of my thoughts until later when I actually get more evidence on people.
If you and [L] were scum, this would put us off it. We'd say only one of you was scum.

Misder wrote:@Wing, anyone you think is suspicious now that we have pretty much past RVS?

@zMuffinMan Why do you find it demeaning that Romanus is trying to be the IC?

@Romanus, what is your role as the IC and how are you going to accomplish this?

@McGriddle, how did you choose cjdrum as your random vote? Also, why do you like townside better than scumside?
Random fluff to start discussion
Misder wrote:@[L] Admittedly, he only has two posts and his second one I got a null read also. However, I like his first post only because of his attack on Romanus. These are my notes for him:
zMuffinMan wrote:Hi
1. How much experience playing mafia do you have?
2. Why do you enjoy playing mafia?
1. Pretty much none. A friend told me about this game and said it'd be the kind of thing I'd like. He linked me here and I've read a few games he's played in, if that counts for experience at all...
2. Well, it looks like I'd find it enjoyable.

Vote: Romanus

I don't see why you needed to tell us that your vote wasn't serious.
A legit vote cause I was thinking the same thing/or should have been even more, slight town read
zMuffinMan wrote:@Romanus

You're giving us zero credit if you really think we need to be spoon-fed that badly. Being new doesn't mean we're stupid.

On the topic of making things clear, could you explain the irony in your reasoning for voting me? Jumping on someone for itty bitty things early on smells of scum to me, so my vote stands.
Agree with Muffin on second paragraph, read is null on this post, but makes more sense if it was town; if Romanus maf, Muffin town imo
zMuffinMan wrote:Australian EST (+10 GMT, +1 for DST), it's 2:22pm now.

I get on when I can, time varies a lot because my current sleeping pattern. I'll probably be posting somewhere between midday and midnight my time most days.
null read

Again, I'm saying that I didn't get a scummy read on him. Everyone else I get something I don't really like.
Like attacking the IC, do you?

Misder wrote:Sorry, three posts. I mislabeled in my notes, as you can see by my missing number on the second quote x.x' Second quote is post 34. Also, just wondering what your last post is about L.
Null
Misder wrote:@crazy, its the way she plays and how she says things that I like. Sure, maybe first 2 posts aren't ever going to be definite, but that's why I keep note of things that happen after. And with more posts from her, I still like her play except for maybe a small part, but I will still stand that she has pretty much played town so far.
edit before posting: so it seems like pro is on the opposite side of me on [L] which is fine. I disagree with the analysis on the second to last post- I actually view this as town because it pretty much is true. However, I do agree with analysis on the last post, as it did seem a bit scummy to me also, but I view her posts as overall townplay right now.

@zMuffinMan Your vote on Romanus- is it more due to his first post or his OMGUS vote?
Making his own analysis on [L]. Good.

Still trying to convince us [L] is town. Scumbuddies,

Or being honest?

Misder wrote:@zMuffinMan
1) In this type of setup, yes. Well, this is my first time playing this setup so uhh... read 2 for more I guess.
2) In other forums where games are much bigger and fast-pased (like 30 ppl and days are 48 hours), it usually started out with just a random lynch, however, these random lynches first start out from voting to lynch inactives, but of course this will lead to discussion, and then, that's where moving the game forward is very easy. I'll also add that I usually don't even participate in the voting to lynch the inactives. In this type of setup, RVS is kind of the same function as what I'm used to; it'll eventually lead to discussion. However, even without RVS, discussion about anything will eventually lead to something (kind of like RQS I guess, but I'm talking about anything here). Of course, deadline is a great incentive to vote, so even if at the end, no one is "scummy", then there will still be an attempted lynch that will move the game forward.
Hope my answers aren't too confusing. I feel like I just blabbled.
True, inactives aren't much of a threat to scum, are they?

But you are talking about in other games, so that doesn't really count.

Conclusion:
More scum than town.
[Win/Loss-Team]
[2/2 -Town]

[0/0 -Scum]

[0/0 -3rd Party]
Prosaurus
Prosaurus
Goon
Prosaurus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:06 am

Post by Prosaurus »

FoS:[L] and Misder

But I'm no voting till I have better reads, and I don't want L-1 this early.
[Win/Loss-Team]
[2/2 -Town]

[0/0 -Scum]

[0/0 -3rd Party]
Romanus
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:06 am

Post by Romanus »

Let's look at it this way: What real danger is there from a speed lynch? Afraid the scum will come out and get a townie without the town being able to stop it? Um, it's not like we won't know who did it, and they will have a lot to answer for if the speedlynch flips townie. A speed lynch on page 4. I would love it. I would think the scum would have just outed themselves.

Townies best and only weapon is their vote. I treat my vote as a weapon. I hate leaving my vote in an innocuous place. Takes away it's teeth and becomes less of a weapon or no weapon at all.

And I support the Misder wagon up until the point I no longer believe he is likely scum.
-Valen85 (Newbie 383)
Prosaurus
Prosaurus
Goon
Prosaurus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:08 am

Post by Prosaurus »

Will analyze others soon. Romanus is next, considering I'm getting scum reads from his last post.
[Win/Loss-Team]
[2/2 -Town]

[0/0 -Scum]

[0/0 -3rd Party]
WingDamage9001
WingDamage9001
Townie
WingDamage9001
Townie
Townie

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:11 am

Post by WingDamage9001 »

Romanus wrote:Let's look at it this way: What real danger is there from a speed lynch? Afraid the scum will come out and get a townie without the town being able to stop it? Um, it's not like we won't know who did it, and they will have a lot to answer for if the speedlynch flips townie. A speed lynch on page 4. I would love it. I would think the scum would have just outed themselves.

Townies best and only weapon is their vote. I treat my vote as a weapon. I hate leaving my vote in an innocuous place. Takes away it's teeth and becomes less of a weapon or no weapon at all.

And I support the Misder wagon up until the point I no longer believe he is likely scum.
But unless they were obvious about it, they could shroud it in logic just as solid as yours. At this point I'm still unsure on everyone, so I'm not attacking you, but I feel uneasy.

More importantly, @Everyone: Answer the questions from my earlier wall 'o text!!
Romanus
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:16 am

Post by Romanus »

What can be more obvious than a page 4 or 5 or even 6 speed lynch? I don't care about shrouding in logic, the action of a speedlynch could not be covered by any amount of disinfectant.

I think L-2 is exactly where he should be right now. L-1 I'd be fine with, then we would get some seriously nervous posts.

I'm really not sure why people are so afraid of actually putting some real pressure on someone.
-Valen85 (Newbie 383)
Prosaurus
Prosaurus
Goon
Prosaurus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Prosaurus »

Analysis on:
Town reads in green

Scum reads in red

Neutral in black

I got six real posts to go off.
Romanus wrote:@zMuff - I told you it wasn't serious because this is a newbie game, and most especially early on, I feel it is my job as IC to make sure I'm being very clear about what is going on. But jumping on someone for itty bitty things early on smells of scum to me, so this one is serious:

Unvote

Vote: zMuffinMan

1) I've been playing off and on for 5 years or so. Started with meat world playing and then found this site. I haven't been around here in a while, but I plan on being a fixture for a while now.
2) Oddly enough, one of the reasons I play is because I teach writing in college and MS contains some of the best essays on the internet. But also, I just love games, from tabletop minis to board, card, Wow. Yeah, I'll play just about any game.
Too early to make serious votes. He was voting for the person he had most evidence for, no matter how little that was, as this was RVS.
Romanus wrote:To answer the questions that have been directed at me:

I believe it is my role to ease players into playing this game that I believe is valuable and fun. I love writing, and it is a great way to exercise my brain and stretch my writing skills. I made a point to post early. I do not want to assume the level of knowledge of any player. And also, considering the mountain of wiki pages dedicated to strategies and scumtells, I wouldn't be surprised if someone has posited that confirmation order could be a scumtell. I hope to accomplish this by explaining different things that are going on if, and when they need to be explained. And also, to be a good player. I will play to win. I will also keep things in a friendly tone. I want to encourage people to play.

The itty bitty thing that I saw zMuff jump on, was the very thing I described above. He voted me for trying to fulfill my role as IC. I'm not sure why, even if done poorly, this is a good reason to vote someone. Now, zMuff may retort, "But my vote was just as unserious as your vote!" To which I would reply, "But I think it was made to look innocent, so that you could push a wagon for an innocent reason."

But you also haven't been pushing, just waiting.
Scum hunting,

But with a lack of evidence.
Romanus wrote:As IC: I did not just use the abbreviation RVS. I used the words Random Vote Stage, which I think is pretty self explanatory. Are you really accusing me of thinking people are smart and stupid at the same time? Also, I wanted to post early to demonstrate how things kinda work. I don't know how things work on other boards. I also know that the opening of the game is the stage that is the hardest to get through.

As Player: I absolutely think that my reason for voting you could be seen as an innocent reason for pushing a wagon. And yes, there is a reason to wait and not push. Right now is not a very good time to dig your heels in.

The most scummy person I see now is Misder. His posts lack genuine scumhunting.

Unvote
Vote: Misder
Grabbing an instrument and jumping on the wagon.

With evidence though.

Romanus wrote:
Prosaurus wrote: To be honest, I think crazy explained it much better than you did.
As IC: I have no problem admitting that I did it poorly. I'd also love suggestions as to how to do the "ease in" in a better fashion.
An IC asking how to be an IC?
If you're the one to "ease them into the game" they'll trust you to be town...

Unless you help them scumhunt, while doing it yourself

Romanus wrote:Pressure is a wonderful thing. The fact that we can up the pressure this fast, I believe, is a good thing. I believe to truly move from RVS to real substantive votes, a real wagon has to be formed, with real consequences.
Only scum want bandwagons.

Romanus wrote:Let's look at it this way: What real danger is there from a speed lynch? Afraid the scum will come out and get a townie without the town being able to stop it? Um, it's not like we won't know who did it, and they will have a lot to answer for if the speedlynch flips townie. A speed lynch on page 4. I would love it. I would think the scum would have just outed themselves.

Only scum want speedlynches.

Conclusion:
Very scummy.

Unvote

VOTE: Romanus
[Win/Loss-Team]
[2/2 -Town]

[0/0 -Scum]

[0/0 -3rd Party]
Prosaurus
Prosaurus
Goon
Prosaurus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:31 am

Post by Prosaurus »

Romanus wrote:What can be more obvious than a page 4 or 5 or even 6 speed lynch? I don't care about shrouding in logic, the action of a speedlynch could not be covered by any amount of disinfectant.

I think L-2 is exactly where he should be right now. L-1 I'd be fine with, then we would get some seriously nervous posts.

I'm really not sure why people are so afraid of actually putting some real pressure on someone.
Speed lynches are BAD for town. With 7 town 2 mafia alive, a speed lynch will probably cause it to be 5 town 2 mafia.
[Win/Loss-Team]
[2/2 -Town]

[0/0 -Scum]

[0/0 -3rd Party]
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:47 am

Post by Fenchurch »

Fourth Vote Count of Day One:

Misder - 3 (crazypianist1116, [L], Romanus)

McGriddle - 2 (WingDamage9001, cjdrum)
Romanus - 2 (zMuffinMan, Prosaurus)
cjdrum - 1 (McGriddle)

Not Voting: 1 (Misder)

With nine alive, it will take five votes to lynch someone.

Deadline is: Wednesday, 13th April at 8:17 am GMT.
WingDamage9001
WingDamage9001
Townie
WingDamage9001
Townie
Townie

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:07 am

Post by WingDamage9001 »

Unvote, Vote Romanus

Pressure is good?
Prosaurus
Prosaurus
Goon
Prosaurus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:22 am

Post by Prosaurus »

@Wing
Care to say why you're voting, apart from trying to pressure him?
[Win/Loss-Team]
[2/2 -Town]

[0/0 -Scum]

[0/0 -3rd Party]
Romanus
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:31 am

Post by Romanus »

WingDamage9001 wrote: Pressure is good?
Yes
-Valen85 (Newbie 383)
WingDamage9001
WingDamage9001
Townie
WingDamage9001
Townie
Townie

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:37 am

Post by WingDamage9001 »

Prosaurus wrote:@Wing
It's partially a pressure vote, but mostly a vote on scum. He was under pressure before I voted him, and he responded poorly. Especially just now.
Romanus wrote:
Yes
Someone puts you to L-2 and all you say is "yes?" He hasn't been scumhunting, he's been pushing for unfounded lynches. It's still early, but I'm just about ready to see him lynched. Nothing personal. :D
Prosaurus
Prosaurus
Goon
Prosaurus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:42 am

Post by Prosaurus »

@Romanus Acting confident, are we? Unless you can convince us you aren't scum (Which will be hard), I see a lynch in your future.
[Win/Loss-Team]
[2/2 -Town]

[0/0 -Scum]

[0/0 -3rd Party]
Romanus
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:45 am

Post by Romanus »

Prosaurus wrote:
Romanus wrote:What can be more obvious than a page 4 or 5 or even 6 speed lynch? I don't care about shrouding in logic, the action of a speedlynch could not be covered by any amount of disinfectant.

Speed lynches are BAD for town. With 7 town 2 mafia alive, a speed lynch will probably cause it to be 5 town 2 mafia.
WingDamage9001 wrote:
Prosaurus wrote:@Wing
It's partially a pressure vote, but mostly a vote on scum. He was under pressure before I voted him, and he responded poorly. Especially just now.
Romanus wrote:
Yes
Someone puts you to L-2 and all you say is "yes?" He hasn't been scumhunting, he's been pushing for unfounded lynches. It's still early, but I'm just about ready to see him lynched. Nothing personal. :D
I'm not concerned about numbers here. I'm concerned about scumhunting. Odds are we will lynch a townie today. Happens in most games. That really isn't important. What's important is the info you get.

I'm not pushing for lynches, I'm pushing for wagons, serious ones. The simple fact that anyone brought up the possibility of a speed lynch, and the fact that it is tied up in a neat scum bow almost guarantees there will be no speed lynch.

Pressure makes people react. Pressure makes people take a stand in their posts. This is the best way to hunt scum in my opinion.
-Valen85 (Newbie 383)
cjdrum
cjdrum
Goon
cjdrum
Goon
Goon

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:46 am

Post by cjdrum »

Wait, I thought we were pressuring Misder?
Um, so, do I vote now, or let somebody else do that :/

I'll go with it.
Unvote: McGriddle
Vote: Misder

And don't hammer 'til we get some stuff from him!
The
Australian Legendary Trio
is alive and kicking (American butt)!
Romanus
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:49 am

Post by Romanus »

Unvote
-Valen85 (Newbie 383)
cjdrum
cjdrum
Goon
cjdrum
Goon
Goon

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:50 am

Post by cjdrum »

Because...?
The
Australian Legendary Trio
is alive and kicking (American butt)!
Romanus
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:51 am

Post by Romanus »

Honestly, that vote is for some breathing room. And I realize it contradicts my post #83, but I got nervous. Too easy for someone to hammer and claim they made a mistake somehow.
-Valen85 (Newbie 383)
Prosaurus
Prosaurus
Goon
Prosaurus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:53 am

Post by Prosaurus »

Haha, nice mood change there.
[Win/Loss-Team]
[2/2 -Town]

[0/0 -Scum]

[0/0 -3rd Party]
Romanus
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Romanus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:54 am

Post by Romanus »

Are you insinuating something?
-Valen85 (Newbie 383)
Prosaurus
Prosaurus
Goon
Prosaurus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:56 am

Post by Prosaurus »

Just before you encouraged us to join the bandwagon and speed lynch. Now you're doing the opposite, after I pointed it out.

You weren't scum hunting. You were encouraging speed lynches before we get any evidence.
[Win/Loss-Team]
[2/2 -Town]

[0/0 -Scum]

[0/0 -3rd Party]

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”