inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #1450 (ISO) » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:46 am

Post by inHimshallibe »

Then, gandalf, you really should take more time to consider what you're posting before you do such.

Yay Town!
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1451 (ISO) » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:22 am

Post by xvart »

Good game everyone. In all honesty I didn't really enjoy it too much (and no offense to SpyreX, I'm glad I played) other than the player list as I felt like the game didn't really rely on scumhunting that much as the game felt pretty mechanical. I mean seriously, I was pulling my hair out with gandalf seeming like he was going to get off the hook. I wonder if the draft process was modified somehow that would change the methodical nature of the number theory. I know some people really dig that but from my perspective I felt like I was just waiting for orders all game.

Thanks, SpyreX for modding. Despite my comments here I am glad I played.

Oh, and Guderian, I know I already said this but wanted to clarify further that I wasn't trying to call you a liar about your brother and the whole vacation thing, but in one place you said you were gone two weeks and one place you said 1.5 weeks and the 1.5 put you on the deadline and with the instant night mechanic I thought the possibility existed that I might catch you where you would have had to submit an action for it to go through but claimed your brother did it. It wasn't a personal attack on your credibility or your honesty (as a human).
I only read quote walls.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1452 (ISO) » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:26 am

Post by PranaDevil »

I'll be honest, in both the last game, and in this one, I've found that following Fate has fared me rather well when it comes to who to lynch. Though I was glad I investigated Cupcake when I did as that would have been an easy mislynch. And Elli/Nacho was looking likely to slide under the radar had I not investigated him/her. (Although I will admit that's about all I contributed in regards to the game, as I was wrong on pretty much all my reads there).
Guderian
Guderian
Goon
Guderian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1453 (ISO) » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:32 am

Post by Guderian »

No worries xvart. Didnt know what you were aiming at, but you seem like a really nice guy.

Make a PYP5 soon spyrex! This was fun, but another could be even more fun!
Where Confidence and Charisma Collide
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1454 (ISO) » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:43 am

Post by xvart »

Gud - I appreciate that. I always hate the line of inquiry regarding people's personal lives and hate questioning along those lines since it's distasteful and there is no way to confirm it either way, but I felt okay with the line of questioning because I was questioning along the lines of you being present before your brother took over. I also know that one has to be careful when going down the roads of real life because I know there have been times (under different circumstances) that I would have just snapped if anyone questioned the legitimacy of my RL claims (which is why I usually just leave it out until endgame).
I only read quote walls.

Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #1455 (ISO) » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:44 am

Post by Hoopla »

xvart wrote:I wonder if the draft process was modified somehow that would change the methodical nature of the number theory. I know some people really dig that but from my perspective I felt like I was just waiting for orders all game.
It's only methodical because scum are methodical and suck at planning.
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1456 (ISO) » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:46 am

Post by xvart »

So Hoopla, what would you think about a scum team not coordinating their number selection pre game and only coordinating the role picking after the draft was announced? Do you think that would have had any merit? In this game, I don't think it would have hurt since the scum was obliterated, but would any natural advantage to planning out number selection be negated by completely being random occurrence?
I only read quote walls.

Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #1457 (ISO) » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:03 am

Post by Hoopla »

xvart wrote:So Hoopla, what would you think about a scum team not coordinating their number selection pre game and only coordinating the role picking after the draft was announced? Do you think that would have had any merit? In this game, I don't think it would have hurt since the scum was obliterated, but would any natural advantage to planning out number selection be negated by completely being random occurrence?
If scum submitted their numbers in a truly random manner, then there is a very real chance they could double up unwittingly - it almost happened this game, but Jack changed Zodiark's numbers for him, because they were doubling up with Gandalf's numbers. I think there are ways to get around number analysis and use it to your advantage as scum - myself, Jack, Faraday and Socrates did in PYP2 quite effectively, though it was taken less seriously back then.

As a general rule, the more methodical and predictable a type of analysis becomes, the easier it becomes to dodge it or manipulate it in ways favourable for your scumteam. I think it'll only take one game of the numbers being wrong and causing a string of mislynches for that type of play to self-correct and become less prevalent. For the last two games, scumteams have been behind the curve and have been trapped. Other games operate in a similar manner in regards to scumtells - an ongoing arms race, with scum and town trying to be one move ahead. I think that mechanic is just a lot more obvious in these games, as it's been the go-to thing for analysis, when in other games, there aren't many tells or forms of analysis which are more dominant than the others.

Once scum figure out counter-strategies for number analysis, the game will open up and fall back on the reservoir of behavioural tells we normally rely on in other games. I think that's a game or two away, though. I also don't think random selection is a very good way of beating number analysis...
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #1458 (ISO) » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:14 am

Post by chkflip »

And I was so close to getting lynched. Grr, argh.

I woulda done it, too, if it weren't for those meddlin' kids.

SpyreX
: I'd like to start by saying that this is the most interesting tweak to mafia that I've seen so far, very innovative and different than the normal "randomly given" aspect. Very surprised (9,5) got third place. I'm just glad I didn't pick (6,1). >.<

Good game town, I'm glad I could help attain this victory. :D

loljk~
"Fuck you. I opened up my heart to you and you stabbed it a thousand times." - Gamma, to me, right before confessing to being the town vig and murdering my scum partner N1.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #1459 (ISO) » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:39 pm

Post by SpyreX »

I've got a couple other games in mind but remember: I don't hold any special rights to this. In fact, someday, it'd be kinda fun to play in one so if you cant think of a good idea but want to mod one well.... ;)
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
Fate
Fate
:HAPPY:
Fate

Post Post #1460 (ISO) » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:44 pm

Post by Fate »

Lol Neighborized with scum streak.

HEY HOOPLA, now that its all said and done: was I wrong or RIGHT that you wanting the gunsmith to claim was anti-town?

I had it read correctly: IF gandalf was scum he was most likely ACTUALLY a vanilla to town gunsmith, aka outing the TOWN gunsmith was stupid. And since it was YOU being anti-town I got all crazy

Also read your ISO from the last game, where you were town, and compare it to here.

My paranoia was justified.
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #1461 (ISO) » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:49 pm

Post by Hoopla »

Fate wrote: HEY HOOPLA, now that its all said and done: was I wrong or RIGHT that you wanting the gunsmith to claim was anti-town?
I don't think it would have made much of a difference either way.
Fate wrote:Also read your ISO from the last game, where you were town, and compare it to here.

My paranoia was justified.
That's what you get for operating under a sample size of one, I suppose. If you're going to use meta to make your decisions, do it properly.
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #1462 (ISO) » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:00 pm

Post by Fate »

They killed chkflip N1, not Volkan.

Re-reading the qt Im not sure why they did that, but yeah I think it would've made a difference.

Regarding meta: I don't go LOOKING through people's meta, jeez, I use meta in games IVE been in with them.

/in moar imo.
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #1463 (ISO) » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:02 pm

Post by Katsuki »

Because claimed or unclaimed vollkan would have made a difference (in hindsight)...
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
Fate
Fate
Fate

Post Post #1464 (ISO) » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:04 pm

Post by Fate »

There was no reason to believe scum had two roleblockers D1, therefore no reason to believe that outing the Gunsmith would've "not really mattered either which way"
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #1465 (ISO) » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:09 pm

Post by Hoopla »

Fate wrote:They killed chkflip N1, not Volkan.

Re-reading the qt Im not sure why they did that, but yeah I think it would've made a difference.
I gave a pretty lengthy explanation for my motives somewhere on Day 2, which covers pretty much everything. I don't know why you want to debate this now, but if you do, go respond to that instead.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1466 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:05 am

Post by LlamaFluff »

I think one interesting thing still would be town taking the inverter. I actually debated it this game so that I could say beyond a doubt that all cop results were truthful, and we would not have the discussion of how much results should be trusted.

Also for Ben - Watcher is argueably better then cop since it can lean power roles to being scum/town since they are able to judge the intention of the roles as opposed to just getting an alignment. If the watcher targets the cop, he might be able to figure out the weak doc is town, or who the roleblocker is, or that scum used vanilla-izer. There is the potential for the watcher to clear or half clear or even catch scum with their role as opposed to cop that gets one (arguebaly dependable) alignment each night. In a game where you know where the strong roles are more likely to be, watcher can be brutal. No doubt it would have been my choice if I somehow ended up with a top pick.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”