DEFCON Mafia 2.0 - Over, American Victory!

chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:03 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

LOL
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
Toogeloo
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:05 pm

Post by Toogeloo »

Fate wrote:Hmmm I see the merits now with the whole "SET UP ZE DEFENSES" aspect that I didn't think of.

There are two of each role though, max, right?

Toog'
s posts with the 4s and the 3s and the piling made my head hurt >_>
AlmasterGM wrote:Only
one
instance of each activated and passive abilities exists. If multiple players desire the same ability, a randomization system will be used to distribute it. It is
highly
recommended that you send a list of multiple choices ranked by preference in case you do not receive your first choice. If you do not send me a preference by the time DEFCON 3 begins (either because you sent me nothing OR you sent only a single activated ability choice and you did not win it), a missile silo will automatically be deployed for you
Scum piling ensures greater odds of getting the role they want. If a 3 man scum team piles onto Sub, there is a semi-decent likelihood they will get it for someone on their team, amplified dramatically by how few Americans take sub first. This is only an example, and they may pile on to Air Base or Aircraft Carrier for all we know. That's why I was stating we should make sure all Americans at least try to put in for one of the better abilities, but not focus on discussing dispersion as to help WIFOM which skills are better or worse to pile onto. With luck, Americans will take most of the high priority roles.
Toogeloo
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:07 pm

Post by Toogeloo »

I must be one of the few people who actually likes IS atm btw. Play the crazy redneck card and possibly some WIFOM while you're at it.
bobsnox
bobsnox
Mafia Scum
bobsnox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:12 pm

Post by bobsnox »

chesskid3 wrote:^ this guy seems like scum, btw.
qft
Fate
Fate
:HAPPY:
Fate

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:13 pm

Post by Fate »

OH LAWD NOT ANOTHER ONE

NOT ANOTHER ONE GOD DMAN IT
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
Toogeloo
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:24 pm

Post by Toogeloo »

[quote="VasudeVa"]@Fate: One of each PR. Meaning, we get at most 10 PRs and at least 10 nukes(That's a lot of nukes, now that I think of it. >.>)./quote]If all 10 nukes, and the sub, live to DEFCON 1, I will be mighty impressed and I would call for nuclear winter.
Toogeloo
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:26 pm

Post by Toogeloo »

Panda wrote:
VasudeVa wrote:@Fate: One of each PR. Meaning, we get at most 10 PRs and at least 10 nukes(That's a lot of nukes, now that I think of it. >.>).
If all 10 nukes, and the sub, live to DEFCON 1, I will be mighty impressed and I would call for nuclear winter.
fix'd
Jed Cooper
Jed Cooper
Goon
Jed Cooper
Goon
Goon

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:57 pm

Post by Jed Cooper »

RedCoyote wrote:
Jack wrote:What the hell? how did that get there? I posted this, let's see if it works this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znEePD1nJxo
That's more like it.

And chess, don't let the name fool you. Coyote's are indigenous to North America anyways. The red just means I'm
red-blooded
, as in a red-blooded, gun-toating, and God-fearing American here to kick some commie ass, old school style.
Ya but the guy in there isn't a coyote...
When you
hang
NUKE
a man, you'd better look at 'em!
Quote Clip
Jed Cooper
Jed Cooper
Goon
Jed Cooper
Goon
Goon

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:05 pm

Post by Jed Cooper »

Bunnylover wrote:Internet Stranger is scum.
American doesn't resort to nukes.
GG.
Can you be a little more specific?
When you
hang
NUKE
Quote Clip
Jed Cooper
Jed Cooper
Goon
Jed Cooper
Goon
Goon

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:07 pm

Post by Jed Cooper »

Faraday wrote:Thanks for the suggestion.

Apart from putting sub at 1 (since it's very very dangerous in scum's hands) I think people should pick what they want/think they can use best.
^ this.
When you
hang
NUKE
Quote Clip
chesskid3
chesskid3
Survivor
chesskid3
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:11 pm

Post by chesskid3 »

does fail-safe work on the sub?

(Yes, it does. --AGM)
Last edited by AlmasterGM on Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"
Toogeloo
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:12 pm

Post by Toogeloo »

Fail Safe doesn't preclude it by the looks of it. It just says you launch if they launch...
Percy
Percy
Rainbow Robot Cthulhu
Percy
Rainbow Robot Cthulhu
Rainbow Robot Cthulhu

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:27 pm

Post by Percy »

Before we get started,
FAQ wrote:Q: How does the randomization process work?
A: Choices are resolved with a focus on first-choice maximization. I will begin by attempting to award each player his or her first choice. If multiple players are in contention for a single ability, random.org will determine who gets it. Once all possible first choices have been awarded, I will move on to the second choice echelon and attempt to award a second choice to each player who did not receive a first choice. This will continue, so on and so forth, until each player has received an ability.
I want everyone to be crystal clear on this. There were some players last game who thought you needed to choose missile silo, offensive troops or defensive troops, and
then
list the abilities in that subsection by preference. This is
not the case

For example, this is a perfectly valid preference list:

Preference list1. Aircraft Carrier
2. Submarine
3. Espionage
4. Radar
5. Fail Safe
6. Missile Silo in Anti-Ballistic Missile Mode

So when it comes to choosing preferences, make sure you read all the rules carefully. Don't fuck things up, because it's anti-town.

Another thing to clear up:
1. There are both Active and Passive abilities that are extremely useful for the town,
2. There are pro-town reasons to target people with pro-town abilities.

Last game we had a (town) player claim a Radar result, which tracked a (town) player's Fighter ability to a (town) player who had deployed defensive troops. The first player accused the second of doing something shady, outing both roles; then the second player accused the third of being scum, because "only scum would want defensive troops". All three town PRs were outed and the resulting confusion was huge.

I also advise you all to read the flavour, it is fucking fantastic. Oh, and buy DEFCON, it's like $10 from Steam and it is so much fun.

A shame that there won't be any delicious code for me to translate. It was fun last time; cracking the Vigenere cipher when I didn't know the code word was particularly rewarding :P

My take on the abilities:

Fighter - An OK choice. This role should not reveal its information until it has caught someone in a lie, which will only happen if someone else claims. I wouldn't be sad if no-one took this ability, but it's OK.
Espionage - A great choice. This is basically a cop, but it's useful to the scum too. Expect it to be high on many people's lists.
Aircraft Carrier - An OK choice. It's good for the scum, especially in a LyLo situation, but it's good for town too; last game a scum player had their launch prevented.
Battleship - A great choice. This is basically a doc, and everything said for Espionage applies here too.
Radar - A good choice. It's a tracker role, and well worth taking.

Submarine - This gives one player an untrackable vig kill. I'd say most people want it, but few would be willing to admit they have it. Expect it to be high on many player's lists.
Eavesdrop - A good choice. At least one scumteam is going to have a hard time nighttalking, but expect to wrangle with a lot of WIFOM until your head hurts.
Air Base - The only thing that can kill you is nukes and lynches, so it's a good choice, but you're also immune to things like Fighter and Espionage, so people will probably freak out.
Fallout Shelter - In my opinion this is less useful than Air Base, but still useful.
Fail Safe - An extremely anti-town power to take.

Missile Silo - Most people will be getting these. I strongly suggest you have it in Anti-Ballistic mode and keep it there.

I see that Toogeloo has vis opinions on the abilities here, check those out too.
chesskid3 wrote:Can we be renamed 'Mericans please?
Come on, it's pronounced Meerkins!
Kitoari wrote:We should pick someone by consensus who we believe is town to have them take one of the obviously pro-scum abilities.
I thought this was a bad idea last game, and I think it's a bad idea this game. We don't want the scum to know where abilities are, especially the good ones. We don't even want to give them a head start. I
strongly
suggest we leave ability selection up to each individual person, and don't try to game the system in any way. Gains for town are negligible, gains for scum are much more.
VasudeVa wrote:The last game was pretty big on Ciphers, codebreaking and stuff like that. (Percy was so badass last game, decrypting ciphers by pen and paper. That's where I got my mental image of him 8D.). It'll be nice if the people who take eavesdrop know about that too.
As far as I can tell, there will be no obfuscation of the english language (i.e. no codes), but I can imagine there will still be workarounds.
VasudeVa wrote:What do you guys say about a sub claim? It was a discussion we had from last game. Although, Scum did get the sub so it wasn't really a big deal. But, suppose an American gets the sub: Should he claim or not?
No. They should claim at the beginning of DEFCON 1 and let the town direct the kill.

In case anyone is interested, the first game is here, and might be a good idea to read over.

For the record, this attitude:
Sociopath, DEFCON 1.0 wrote:MY NUKE ISNT GOING TO RESULT FROM A TOWN CIRCLE JERKING, I.E. DONT BOTHER TRYING TO CONTROL IT WITH PSEUDO-VOTES.
MY NUKE IS THE NUKE THAT SHALL PIERCE THE HEAVENS.
...is going to earn votes from me. The more nuke-crazy we get, and the more we rely on personal decision making when it comes to nukes, the harder things will be for the town.

And in the current spirit of the thread,

FUCK
YEAH!!!
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:32 pm

Post by Katsuki »

I'd love to hear what all the 1.0 vets have to say about their views.

One question. How is failsafe an anti-town role, percy?

p.s. Love the pics! :D
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
Percy
Percy
Rainbow Robot Cthulhu
Percy
Rainbow Robot Cthulhu
Rainbow Robot Cthulhu

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:41 pm

Post by Percy »

Two reasons.

1. I hope that all nukes that are fired in this game are sanctioned to some degree by the town. I am going to work very hard to achieve this. Fail Safe means you can't nuke a player, which is an unnecessary complication.
2. It is far more likely that someone is going to get nuked by town than by the scum, simply by the numbers. If you're town, you're probably going to end up killing someone that is town with the ability. This is not good.
bobsnox
bobsnox
Mafia Scum
bobsnox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:16 pm

Post by bobsnox »

@Percy - I literally LOLed at those pics.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:49 pm

Post by SpyreX »

WHY DONT WE ALL CHOOSE NUKES AND NUKE TILL ALL SCUM ARE DEAD WHEN THE BELL TOLLS FOR THEE.
True dat.

Double true.

IF I decide to go for the submarine AND I get it you can guarantee I'm not tellin no one. The bombs will be my only <3
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:59 pm

Post by Andrius »

Percy wrote: Oh, and buy DEFCON, it's like $10 from Steam and it is so much fun.
While I certainly didn't mean to post, I must say that the demo for DEFCON is free, and is pretty much the game minus online play. So its cool enough. And its FREE.

Last game we had a (town) player claim a Radar result, which tracked a (town) player's Fighter ability to a (town) player who had deployed defensive troops.
There were some players last game who thought you needed to choose missile silo, offensive troops or defensive troops, and then list the abilities in that subsection by preference. This is not the case.

Glad to know I made a good first impression on you, Percy. :roll:
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Jed Cooper
Jed Cooper
Goon
Jed Cooper
Goon
Goon

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:18 pm

Post by Jed Cooper »

VasudeVa wrote:The last game was pretty big on Ciphers, codebreaking and stuff like that. (Percy was so badass last game, decrypting ciphers by pen and paper. That's where I got my mental image of him 8D.). It'll be nice if the people who take eavesdrop know about that too.
Ciphers are not allowed in this game.
What do you guys say about a sub claim? It was a discussion we had from last game. Although, Scum did get the sub so it wasn't really a big deal. But, suppose an American gets the sub: Should he claim or not?
That sub angle from last game looked really nifty. It would work even better here because the minumum of 4 silos for the Americans. The hidden strike capability is a pro-scum trait. The worst case scenario will be that nobody claims sub (the scum have it). The only downside is that it helps scum to narrow the abilities that each townie has if they don't get the sub.

I think its totally worth it and I think if a townie has the sub they should claim.
When you
hang
NUKE
Quote Clip
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:23 pm

Post by SpyreX »

Again, theoretically, I get something I'm giving it up on my terms.

Time to get back to roots. BLOOD GOD STYLE WHAT
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
Jed Cooper
Jed Cooper
Goon
Jed Cooper
Goon
Goon

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:25 pm

Post by Jed Cooper »

chesskid3 wrote:Scum:
IS
Fate

Different scumteams. Calling it now.
this.
When you
hang
NUKE
Quote Clip
Jed Cooper
Jed Cooper
Goon
Jed Cooper
Goon
Goon

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:27 pm

Post by Jed Cooper »

Toogeloo wrote:I must be one of the few people who actually likes IS atm btw. Play the crazy redneck card and possibly some WIFOM while you're at it.
You mean IS is townie to you or you like him as scum?
When you
hang
NUKE
Quote Clip
Jed Cooper
Jed Cooper
Goon
Jed Cooper
Goon
Goon

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:34 pm

Post by Jed Cooper »

@Percy: Welcome to America!
When you
hang
NUKE
Quote Clip
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:46 pm

Post by Internet Stranger »

Wow, it would really suck if Percy turns out to be a commie sympathizer, right?

TRUST NO ONE.

Nukes will be flying, despite the attempts at constant manipulation by the peace loving one-world government hippies. The communist scum will be ferreted out and disposed off. Either by lynching or crispy-critter style.
Show
Elvis_Knits: "IS you are a sexist schmuck, for real"

Guttersnipe: "INTERNET STRANGER: You will never get away with the crap you pulled in this game again in any game I am in, ever"

Jora: "I don't care what you say. I don't care about scumhunting. Just die, alright!"
Toogeloo
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Toogeloo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:53 pm

Post by Toogeloo »

Jed Cooper wrote:
Toogeloo wrote:I must be one of the few people who actually likes IS atm btw. Play the crazy redneck card and possibly some WIFOM while you're at it.
You mean IS is townie to you or you like him as scum?
Townie... just a vibe I'm getting. Never played with the guy, so I could be wrong and giving him more credit than he deserves, but it just doesn't come off as logical scum play.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”