Newb Question... Input Please!

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #13 (isolation #0) » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:02 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Unknown Role mafia (in Little Italy) right now is going through a "blind" game setup - your vote determines your night action choice, if any, and you have no idea if you're cop, townie, or even scum! It's...interesting, but I'm not sure I'd advocate it. On the one hand, it's really confusing, and on the other, even more artificial than our usual game mechanics.

On the other hand, your idea of not looking at your OWN role PM for strategic purposes is not bad, actually. In a Newbie Game, Scum want to look like town (and sometimes power roles), and the Doc wants to look like a Townie, and the Cop wants to look like a Townie *unless* they're angling for a N1 protection. So "forgetting"/not looking at your role before you play can help almost anybody. On the other hand, you've added so many caveats that I fully believe you're capable of playing
as if
you never looked at your role, so don't expect me to believe you when you claim to have done this in-game, now. :twisted:

But on the gripping hand, I'll echo what other folks have said: Welcome to MafiaScum! You seem to have a shrewdly analytical head, and you may want to spend some of that time while you're waiting for your next game to start scanning through the rest of this forum. Theory doesn't always translate into practice, but I read up a LOT here before I finally signed up, and I think it's always helped me get a fast start. Cheers!

P.S. You can always sign up for games in other forums besides Newbies, provided you have the time to commit to multiple games. You're absolutely right about no N1 kills for newbies being one of the primary reasons Newbie Games start with Day, even though it does make it somewhat tougher.
Retired as of October 2014.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #18 (isolation #1) » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:33 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

petroleumjelly wrote:To re-address Mr. Flay, I thought I read somewhere that you had to play 5 games before signing up for a Mini/Theme/New York game? I'm guessing this isn't strictly enforced now even if I did read it somewhere, but I still think I had best finish at least one Newb game before I try for bigger and better things.
Not exactly; you're not considered "Inexperience-Challenged" (IC, or a non-newbie) for the purpose of Newbie Games until you've done five games, and I think 3 months
hard time
playing time... but nothing says all five of those games have to be Newbies.

Some mods will be reluctant to take brand new players because of the possibility of flake-out, but usually you can find plenty of Minis to play even if one mod is leery, and I'll take brand-new players usually, if I can get an email to poke them with, should they disappear...

As for your theory comments, I still think it's advisable to play 'slightly better than random" if you're scum, so looking at your PM would allow you to make very plausible, very subtle changes to your gameplay to increase the chances of not lynching your partner, while still appearing to be nothing more than a Townie.
Retired as of October 2014.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”