Mini 1046 - Murder in the Desert (Game Over!)

Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1175 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:15 am

Post by Oso »

Actually, town didn't really blow it.

Kudos to boberz. By the end of Day 3/Start of Day 4, he would have won in any 3 man endgame that included him/Slaxx and Charter or Weapons. Which was pretty much a given by the time Lowell was lynched. boberz play and the town player's perception of him, is pretty much what won the game for scum. So:

Well done boberz

Lowell's lynch sealed the scum victory Day 3. That left DH/Xine as Obvtown, Slaxx/boberz as probable town and Socrates(me)/Charter/Weapons looking middling bad to very bad by comparison to the the other 4. The only real question in my mind (on reading the game before being offered a spot back in) was whether it would end today in a 3:2 or tomorrow in a 2:1.

Honorable mention to Soc as well. boberz and Soc did an excellent job of not making connections to each other. Simply by not forcing that. From what I can see they both pretty much forgot the other was their partner during the day and pretty much succeeded in not being connected by ignoring each other and the game unfolded so that they could do that very naturally.

Bub. Dude :) I'm not going to tear apart your play but man, you need to work on your Day 1 scum game. Seriously though, I can't quantify it but I think, in my opinion, getting a scum Day 1 put the town enough at ease that Me/Soc/Me was able to make it to end game. Without that high about nailing a Scum RB Day 1, I get the impression that people would have been seriously looking at the Soc/Oso player spot maybe a day earlier which could have tipped the balance in me being able to have a spot to replace back into. If this slot had been lynched then I wouldn't have had the opportunity to goad Slaxx into voting a townie so that he could rip me apart in the end game. So I thank you for that and it was a pleasure playing with you even for so short a time.

On that town side. Parama, Slaxx and xvart. Scum scored big, at least in my opinion by xvart being removed through a lynch. Starting the game, I would have bet money that xvart would have to be NKed to remove him simply because of the way he played in the last game I played with him. Parama almost made me crap my pants when he tagged 2 of the 3 scum almost immediately as the game started. Granted, boberz was the first Day 1 flavor and that generally doesn't lead anywhere but it is still jarring when you see 2 of you buddies mentioned in the same post with the word 'scum'. Slaxx, because (and I'm guessing here) of your experience with Real-Time Mafia, you came across to me as a bit spastic in your posting. Unfortunately, for the scum team, it came across as mostly town. Believe it or not, what I said at the end of the game was true. I would have loved to get boberz(town), you(town) and me(scum) into this endgame. I very seriously doubt I could have pulled it out but man, it would have been fun trying :P

Xine. I know you slightly from oustside the game through PMs and other threads and was really disappointed that we were on opposite teams in our first game together. In way (even though this is just a game) I was a bit relieved that I had to replace out when I did. Part of a plan I was toying with Day 1 was to get you lynched and then by proxy, Parama lynched when you flipped town based on his boberz/Xine/Bub connection. You were only common link between them and, according to Parama's theory, if you could get lynched then not only would that make Parama look bad, it would go a ways to relieving the pressure on boberz and Bub. I can't say I'm sorry I wasn't able to do that :) But even though your team lost Xine, you did make it to end game and that is not very common for a new player, especially from what I can see on this site. You did well.

To the rest, I very much enjoyed playing in what little of this game I managed to do and apologize to all the players that I wasn't able to be here for the entire run.

Also, thanks to Nico for taking the time to set this up and run this for us. I liked the set-up, the flavor and would happily play in another one of your games anytime.
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1176 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:47 am

Post by boberz »

Thanks for the compliment but I dont feel I played well. The little boy lost routine was not put on, till about half way through day 3, and the missed night kill was my fault (however I was sending it when my laptop crashed so it is not as bad as it seems) cheers Oso, it was good to see youcome back.
Slaxx
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1177 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:54 am

Post by Slaxx »

Boberz, it doesnt matter how you had to ake it, but you did well doing it.

I apologize to the whole town, this loss was mostly my fault.

Xine, you did very well.
DH, we collectively sucked xD but I still love you!
Nicodemus, thanks for not making a mafia tracker and roleblocker Vs watcher and doc. Your shins will be spared.
Oso, I had a feeling you were scum the whole game, but you did good manipulating me regardless.
Parama: sorry man.
WOMC: Really sorry.
Charter, Lowell, Xvart: SORRY D:
DemonHybrid
DemonHybrid
And Another Thing...
DemonHybrid
And Another Thing...
And Another Thing...

Post Post #1178 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:58 am

Post by DemonHybrid »

Lowell....a good case does wonders =\

I would have unvoted you over Soc if you had posted reasoning for all of your actions.
This account is no longer being used.

You want this one.
Slaxx
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1179 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:02 am

Post by Slaxx »

By the way, Nic and I are modding a large normal soon, so if you liked his modding/flavor, you should hop on in our game.
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1180 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:02 am

Post by xvart »

Good game, all. Fun group. Thanks for the compliments on my play, Oso, at the beginning and post game. I don't feel like I did so well, which obviously lead to my lynch that day. It really is amazing how lurking for a couple of days can really derail any town credibility you might have... I can't remember what I said before my lynch, but when I first suggested looking at why CES was NKed and voted for Boberz I was planning on going back and building a case on boberz with the CES being supporting evidence (then I just didn't have it in me and nearly resigned until I jumped all over Slaxx.

Slaxx - I'm actually surprised you caught no heat whatsoever about my lynch the following day. You just seemed to really break down. It's probably a good thing I did die because I would have gone ape shit the next day trying to get you lynched, which would have been extremely distracting to the rest of town.

xvart.
I only read quote walls.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1181 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:03 am

Post by xvart »

Slaxx wrote:By the way, Nic and I are modding a large normal soon, so if you liked his modding/flavor, you should hop on in our game.
How large? I don't think I've ever played a large normal. And what do you mean by "soon"?

xvart.
I only read quote walls.

Slaxx
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1182 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:04 am

Post by Slaxx »

I am sorry I made a case on you xvart, but Ive said this many times: I am really good at picking out town tells when people are under pressure. But thats why I suck at lylo situations: you cant put pressure on people in lylo. You can, but its just not the same as voting them. There was probably a better way to go about getting off your bandwagon. Anyway, sorry I forced that lynch on you and sorry I hammered you even though I figured you were town. Its something town should never do and for that I really hurt our chances.
Slaxx
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1183 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:05 am

Post by Slaxx »

I dont know, I'll be ready after all my games besides Scott Pilgrim and Invasion of Liten finish, or I die/get lynched in them. Nic is probably ready now. I am under the impression I can mod two at once, correct? Because I am on the queue to mod a minitheme too.
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1184 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:08 am

Post by xvart »

Slaxx, 1182 wrote:I am sorry I made a case on you xvart, but Ive said this many times: I am really good at picking out town tells when people are under pressure. But thats why I suck at lylo situations: you cant put pressure on people in lylo. You can, but its just not the same as voting them. There was probably a better way to go about getting off your bandwagon. Anyway, sorry I forced that lynch on you and sorry I hammered you even though I figured you were town. Its something town should never do and for that I really hurt our chances.
No hard feelings. I'll know for next time and it's one of those things that I easily misconstrue people into having scummy motivations over town motivations (especially people I have never played with).

xvart.
I only read quote walls.

Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1185 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:22 am

Post by Oso »

[quote="xvart"..
but when I first suggested looking at
why CES was NKed
and voted for Boberz I was planning on going back and building a case on boberz with the CES being supporting evidence (then I just didn't have it in me and nearly resigned until I jumped all over Slaxx.
..[/quote]

We knew he was town (obviously) and that was probably the only contribution I made to the night talk the entire game. I figured that since he was playing the way he was as town, he must have a really good RC to fall back on. I really suck at spotting PRs but that was why CES was killed. He was giving off what I thought of as PR vibes. We know he's town but he is playing borderline scummy. That is the real reason I backed off his lynch and switched to Slaxx Day 1. I didn't want to take a chance of getting his wagon up to claim. I didn't want him claiming and making me look bad in comparison by forcing the outting of a PR day 1.
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1186 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:26 am

Post by boberz »

If he claims a PR we would have nkd him anyway probably surely??? I dont think it would have affected how people saw you anyway, if you can justify a scum read it is fine imo.
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1187 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:29 am

Post by Oso »

True.

Not only am I bad at spotting PRs though, I generally stink pretty badly as scum as well. So I get paranoid :)

I noticed that Nic didn't post the Mafia QT so there it is.
-
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1188 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:38 am

Post by boberz »

*Lies here embarrased*
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #1189 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:07 am

Post by charter »

Blah. Good work scum. Town pretty much imploded after the Bub lynch.
Nicodemus
Nicodemus
Goon
Nicodemus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1190 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:10 am

Post by Nicodemus »

Thanks to everyone who played for a great game. Activity was good all across the board (I only had to issue two prods the entire game), and if Oso hadn't been forced to replace out we wouldn't have needed any replacements either. Still, it was great that he was able to come back and finish the game off, and I was really happy that Socrates was such a competent replacement as well (before he went AWOL anyway).

Overall I was happy with the way this game played out. The setup worked just about as well as I hoped it would, although I wish there had been more opportunity for Roleblocker vs. Doctor claims, or counterclaims of any kind. Still, I thought the sides were pretty well balanced, and obviously having the Roleblocker taken out D1 didn't hurt the scum team terribly. I haven't seen anyone discuss it yet, but I'll go ahead and say that the Godfather was put in solely to throw a little bit of misdirection at the scum team. Since 3:9 setups are won about 65% of the time by scum, I thought it was fair to hamper them slightly by giving them potentially misleading information. It didn't affect them hardly at all, however, so I was happy with this addition.

I was also very impressed by everyone's play in this game (town more on day 1, and scum more on subsequent days). The level of town play on day one was really top-notch, with all of the scum getting heat to one degree or another, and multiple people calling out two or even three scum members by the end of the day. I was actually worried that you would be able to run the board and end the game on day 3. But, scum fought back, thanks in large part to boberz' newly found town cred due to his well-timed bus, and Socrates' great entry into the game on day 2. I think I might have gone after Socrates/Oso more than town ended up doing, just because of his notable absence on the Bub wagon, but Socrates really played well on day 2 and 3 to get the heat off of his slot.

And then, mislynchgate 2010 happened. I know that town had a large advantage going into day 2, with the mafia roleblocker dead and all three powerroles still alive, but some of the lynches that were pushed through were quite horrendous. xvart's lynch in particular just felt like it was a "well, I'm tired of running people up and lynching them, I'm going to force this through no matter how town he sounds". I was also very surprised that charter got lynched as quickly as he did, as he seemed fairly town the whole game.

But yes, kudos to both town and scum for a well-played game, it was a great first time modding experience for me, and I would be happy to have any of you play in my games again. And here is the dead thread, for those who didn't get to see it: http://www.quicktopic.com/45/H/Phk2kXhCCqi

Also, as a first time mod, how do you think I did? Any comments/suggestions/critiques about improving for the future?
Ythan, on my play: "Scummy and bad are not the same. Some players manage to keep them separate, though I applaud how masterfully you blend them."
DemonHybrid
DemonHybrid
And Another Thing...
DemonHybrid
And Another Thing...
And Another Thing...

Post Post #1191 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:12 am

Post by DemonHybrid »

I liked the hell out of your flavor.
This account is no longer being used.

You want this one.
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #1192 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:14 am

Post by charter »

You did a great job modding. That doesn't get said very often anymore, either.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1193 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:16 am

Post by Parama »

d(''d) GJ Nic.
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1194 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:20 am

Post by boberz »

The modding was attentive and good I really enjoyed this game. I honestly forgot my scum team during day 1 and didnt realise it was a bus. But atleast it is what I would have done as town as well, so I can scumhunt. Yay.
Slaxx
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1195 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:25 am

Post by Slaxx »

You don't know how good that made you look boberz. Seriously.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1196 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:44 am

Post by Parama »

boberz - you said you'd played with me before, when was this? .-.
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #1197 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:58 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

Eh, most of the dead players had him in their favoured scum team. The right people definitely got killed off; I wasn't the only who thought charter and Lowell were obvtown and that boberz-Socrates made most sense as the scum pair.

P.S. Oso, it's just my playstyle - I don't change my play based on whether I have a power role (consciously, anyway).
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Slaxx
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1198 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:59 am

Post by Slaxx »

When I handed out CES the cop role PM in the game I modded and saw him play the same way I started to think he might have been PR.

Short version: your play is consistent as far as I can tell between VT and PR
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #1199 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:01 am

Post by Ythill »

Hi everyone. This is actually Ythill, Xine's husband. I've been reading along. I thought she did really well for her first non-newbie game. I also thought Slaxx played an excellent game and I was happy to read that he was double-tracker confirmed... not that it made a difference. I think the town's worst play was the Lowell lynch. He was obv-town.

I don't think Xine knows about the loss yet. She's going to be sad. :(

@boberz:
I think you played an excellent scum game. I'm usually pretty good at spotting the mafia, especially when I'm just reading along, but I was never suspicious of you. I'm familliar with your town-meta from Mafia in Mendo and your scum play was identical. Both of your buddies were obvious, but you were not and, had it gone to a three-man endgame, you would have won it for sure. So yeah, great job.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

"So yeah, it is a sign from the angels." ~CooLDoG

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”