Posting in twilight - what is the default rule?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

If the Mod doesn't say anything about it in the rules, is it permissible to post in twilight?

Yes!
84%
No!
16%

Total votes: 56

Mackay
Mackay
Goon
Mackay
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (isolation #0) » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:54 pm

Post by Mackay »

What is so ambiguous about "once lynch is reached, it is night"?

I get mad when people talk during twilight, to tell the truth, because I don't consider it to be "twilight", but night already. As mith said, the mod is just the person who lets the town know what stage things are at. And I think that giving information after your death is a far worse form of cheating than mafia talking once lynch is reached - and I consider a person dead once they reach the required number of votes. To think I could've been throwing out information this whole time...
- Mackay
Mackay
Mackay
Goon
Mackay
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (isolation #1) » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:36 am

Post by Mackay »

Mathcam:
I think you know you are speaking of the exception, rather than the general rule. If a mod posts "6 to lynch" I do not think it is unreasonable for the town to consider a player lynched once they receive 6 votes. In the uncommon case that there is a different number of votes required to lynch, the mod can notify the town. In fact, saying "X is not lynched, carry on" makes much more sense to me than remaining silent and letting the town believe that they
are
conversing in twilight.

I know that people do not generally reveal information after they are dead, but I also "knew" posting in twilight was wrong, and was shocked to see the results of the poll. The point of posting is to share information. If you agree that information should not be shared once lynch numbers are reached, then what is the point of allowing twilight posting? And if you do
not
agree with this, then what do you have against cops revealing their results after the lynching vote is placed on them?

If your key point is "the players can't accurately tell when lynch is reached" then the argument is pretty weak. In the
majority
of cases lynch will be reached exactly when the majority of votes are reached. I think that "people shouldn't talk once they're dead" is a more pressing issue. But maybe that's just me.
- Mackay
Mackay
Mackay
Goon
Mackay
Goon
Goon

Post Post #47 (isolation #2) » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:30 pm

Post by Mackay »

You are drawing a false connection between the beginnings of day and night there.

At the beginning of a day, nobody but the mod knows when the choices are all in. Therefore, it makes sense to begin the day when the choices are in - that is, when the mod posts that it is day.
At the beginning of a night, it is obvious that a person has reached lynch. And who said anything about needing to go through and count the votes? It is generally pointed out by several people in any given game, when a person is close to being lynched. In every game there are helpful people and vote counts.

I'm the opposite of your story, Stewie - I've spent the last two years
not
playing here. =) But I don't recall twilight posting having 'been around forever', as mathcam claims - though I can barely remember most of the games I played here.... I probably suppressed the memories of my atrocious playing.

Perhaps I am just overly strict. But I would favour both not posting in twilight unless it's specified that one
can
, and mafia not communicating until the mod states that it is night - for the very 'people don't know for sure it it's really night' reason.
- Mackay
Mackay
Mackay
Goon
Mackay
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (isolation #3) » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:53 am

Post by Mackay »

Norinel basically said what I would have. The argument for twilight posting is based on "what if"s when I specifically stated that those are rare occurrences. It is not that hard for the mod to say "twilight posting is allowed" in a game which may have vote restrictions, or merely due to personal preference. I think, however, that the default behaviour should be to not speak once a person is dead.

Stoofer:
Personally, I see nothing wrong with people posting information as the victim is dragged to the lynching tree.
Really?!
- Mackay
Mackay
Mackay
Goon
Mackay
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (isolation #4) » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:29 pm

Post by Mackay »

The honour system has been brought up - I do not know many mafia players who lynch a person without giving them a chance to speak up.
- Mackay

Return to “Mafia Discussion”