Posting in twilight - what is the default rule?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

If the Mod doesn't say anything about it in the rules, is it permissible to post in twilight?

Yes!
84%
No!
16%

Total votes: 56

Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #20 (isolation #0) » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:07 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I do NOT agree that twilight allows mafia to begin their conversation, especially when the mod allows twilight conversation. Scum who can converse in realtime while the 'town' is still discussing what just happened is an advantage that is not intended, in my opinion.

I agree with Dourgrim and Stoofer.. :evil: I suppose now we need to ask jeep to implement some sort of PM-freeze for when a player's thread is open. :roll: And here I thought we worked on the honor system with regard to night/external conversation.
Retired as of October 2014.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #27 (isolation #1) » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:27 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

mith wrote:
Scum who can converse in realtime while the 'town' is still discussing what just happened is an advantage that is not intended, in my opinion.
Indeed. But that doesn't answer why you think they shouldn't be allowed to begin their conversation when the mod *doesn't* allow (in-thread) twilight conversation.
Nor does it really matter, since that's
not what CA said!
He said he talks after the lynching vote has been put on, during twilight. As far as I can tell, he hasn't implied that he only does this in games where the mod has outlawed twilight talking.

And at least one
other
person does this and hasn't weighed in, because somebody taught CA that this was acceptable behavior. In my world, Night starts when the Moderator sets the title thread/opening post to say so...*shrug*
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #33 (isolation #2) » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:04 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

If you encompass IM in "mafia can talk during the day", then it makes almost-instantaneous bandwagon jumps possible. Granted, this doesn't matter much until the endgame, but it reduces the endgame (which is already a mafia advantage, because they know they're at that point, and the town usually doesn't) even further in the mafia's favor.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #38 (isolation #3) » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:59 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

mith wrote:Mr. Flay: I know what CA said. I was talking about what you said.
I do NOT agree that twilight allows mafia to begin their conversation, especially when the mod allows twilight conversation.
The only reason you gave was that the Town and the Mafia shouldn't be talking at the same time. But the statement quoted has an "especially" thrown in there, which implies that you also believe that the Mafia shouldn't be talking during twilight even when the Town is not allowed to either. I just want to know why.
I suppose it's because I've never been in a game that didn't allow twilight talking, therefore while the possibility exists, it's not something I've ever been confronted with (do I talk during twilight or not, since the town can no longer speak?). That's why I phrased it that way; I suppose if I were in a game like that, I would ask the mod for clarification.

In addition, I tend to play/run games with somewhat of an unusual ruleset (just not this one), so it's not always entirely easy to say when lynch has occurred... extra/forced votes, lynchblockers, etc. Waiting for the mod makes it completely unambiguous, in my opinion; all of my role PMs, as far as I can recall, have said "you may talk only at night", except the ones that didn't allow scum to talk at all... :roll:
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #62 (isolation #4) » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:33 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I don't think "a span of time at least as long as the mod expects everyone to be online" is a good idea - our games here are already slow, and expecting twilight to last 2-3 days is sort of...ehh. Unless I'm misunderstanding your intent.

Really, I see very little posting of any consequence during twilight, so it seems most people already believe in some combination of the two ideas (Stoofer's and Norinel's being the outliers, apparently). Then again, I try to make my twilights more than 2 hours, but less than 12.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”