Posting in twilight - what is the default rule?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

If the Mod doesn't say anything about it in the rules, is it permissible to post in twilight?

Yes!
84%
No!
16%

Total votes: 56

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:48 pm

Post by mith »

In this particular case, I think it's allowed if the mod doesn't say anything about it, but I tend to not say anything relevant once the last vote has been cast. That's just the way I play. But I tend to say most everything that needs to be said well before we get to that point.

(Cadmium) Agreed. It's already on the list. :)

Actually, as a slight aside, I think several standard rulesets would be useful. It would give mods another label to put on their game and would hopefully help get the right sort of player in the right type of game. For example, you could have a "Quick" ruleset, for those that want shorter games, with strict, short deadlines.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #18 (isolation #1) » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:58 am

Post by mith »

I think it fits the flavour (i.e. a few last words as we are dragging the guy to the tree)
It also fits the flavo(u)r for the guy we're dragging to the tree to get off a few last words but the mob is in too much of a frenzy to hear him.

I think Norinel's point is the most valid in favor of banning twilight posts. *If* there is anything to be gained by either side (most likely the town), that potential gain shouldn't depend on whether the person wanting to post in twilight happens to be on in the hours before the Mod calls it night.

(You could try to make the same argument for the other side: that a player might not be around just before the final vote is cast; but there it is something within the game ending day (the vote) rather than something outside the game (the mod). The mod, in theory at least, is intended to be a bookkeeper of sorts, organizing what has actually already taken place by the voting.)

Here's a question: If vote counts were automated, and the thread automatically locked when the majority was reached, would anyone have a problem with it? Or do you think there should *always* be some twilight period after the lynching vote is cast? (This is not an entirely hypothetical questions. Vote counts will be automated someday. Hopefully.)
Last edited by mith on Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #19 (isolation #2) » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:01 am

Post by mith »

I don't mind allowing talk in-thread during twilight... scum talking out of thread during twilight is a major no-no in my book, though. They are specifically allowed to talk at NIGHT, which does not occur until a Mod posts a death scene and announces Night.
~shrug~ If you believe that night begins with the final vote, then they are not in the wrong. It is only your interpretation that says it's not night until the mod says so. I don't believe I have ever seen a ruleset that has actually specified where night begins. If anything, this:

"Lynching will be carried out once a regular majority is reached" (DP standard, and plenty of people copy it)

implies that at the very least, day is over as soon as that vote is cast. I think CA is right, here. If the mod does not have a clearly stated twilight rule, then the scum aren't breaking the rules any more than the town.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #21 (isolation #3) » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:16 am

Post by mith »

Scum who can converse in realtime while the 'town' is still discussing what just happened is an advantage that is not intended, in my opinion.
Indeed. But that doesn't answer why you think they shouldn't be allowed to begin their conversation when the mod *doesn't* allow (in-thread) twilight conversation.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #25 (isolation #4) » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:03 am

Post by mith »

It will happen eventually. But then, I've been saying that for three years.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #36 (isolation #5) » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:13 am

Post by mith »

I'd like to see a "one post" twilight rule, as well as a 24-48 hour twilight rule.
I don't think the first is a good idea without a time limit for obvious reasons.

For the second, I can't imagine it would be much harder to code the way I've got it in my head (but then, I doubt I'll be writing much code anyway :)). But why would we want this? Depending on how it was done, one obvious exploit is that you could have cops refusing to reveal their results until after their lynched. That is not within the intent of the game.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #37 (isolation #6) » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:23 am

Post by mith »

Mr. Flay: I know what CA said. I was talking about what you said.
I do NOT agree that twilight allows mafia to begin their conversation, especially when the mod allows twilight conversation.
The only reason you gave was that the Town and the Mafia shouldn't be talking at the same time. But the statement quoted has an "especially" thrown in there, which implies that you also believe that the Mafia shouldn't be talking during twilight even when the Town is not allowed to either. I just want to know why.
In my world, Night starts when the Moderator sets the title thread/opening post to say so...*shrug*
As I'm arguing in the other thread, in my world the moderator is only there to organize what the game play has already dictated. The moderator does not decide when night happens, the players lynching someone does. The moderator is just the impartial third-party there to confirm that this has indeed happened.

I don't mind mods allowing twilight talk, it just does need to be clearly defined in the rules, and I think it's a bit unfair to overreact to players interpreting the rules differently.

(Just to be clear, I don't talk in twilight as Mafia either, I'm just playing devil's advocate for the most part.)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #55 (isolation #7) » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:03 pm

Post by mith »

In reality, most people have a routine.
That's a bit of a broad generalization, don't you think? I certainly don't have a routine, other than that I am likely to not update a game when I am asleep. And even then it's not a sure thing. ;)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #60 (isolation #8) » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:02 am

Post by mith »

I hate when people drag up year old threads, I always worry I'll have completely changed my mind about it and look silly. Looks like I've been consistent on this one though.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #63 (isolation #9) » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:44 am

Post by mith »

I'd rather have a set time for day than a set time for twilight. ~shrug~

One of my next two games will have just that. Unless I change my mind. :)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”