Newbie 980 ~ Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Kov
Kov
Townie
Kov
Townie
Townie

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:04 am

Post by Kov »

Mr. Flay wrote:Kov, I'm not really going to try to pick your posts apart until you answer two questions:
  1. Have you played Mafia before, either in person or on another site?
  2. If so, can you link to any games?
Haylen gets her own post to avoid the wall from bogging down this entire post... it'll probably be this afternoon.
Both answers are No this is my first game and I am just playing the way I think is best to eliminate scum as fast as possible.
won/lost
1 / 0
Zajnet
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:10 am

Post by Zajnet »

Nexus v Haylen looks like town v town. We need to get on track finding the scum, not waste our time bickering. I would like to see Flay's post about Haylen, however.
My GTKAS
"okay who the fuck didnt kill me." - nintendoaddict1
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:11 pm

Post by CSL »

The Power Outage Vote Count

Nexus (3) Earlder1, Kov, Haylen

Haylen (3) a2rudeboy, Mr. Flay, Nexus

jmurph3 (2) Beefster, Zajnet

Kov (1) jmurph3

Not Voting: ...

Deadline and Lynch info

Currently set for Thursday, July 29th, at 7:00pm EST

There are NINE alive, so FIVE votes on a player will lynch.

Nexus is currently at L-2

Haylen is currently at L-2

V/LA's and Prods

Mr. Flay is on a perpetual V/LA status

Etc.
Last edited by CSL on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Show
"I can't kill my own best friend, especially when I can't do shit at all!" - Tragedy

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

V/LA from Mafia on weekends. Sorry!
Zajnet
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:37 pm

Post by Zajnet »

@Mod:
Zajnet wrote:VOTE: jmurph3
My GTKAS
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:40 pm

Post by CSL »

Zajnet wrote:
@Mod:
Fixed. Please be sure that a vote is on a new line, as it is a lot easier to spot.
Show
"I can't kill my own best friend, especially when I can't do shit at all!" - Tragedy

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

Zajnet
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:49 pm

Post by Zajnet »

CSL wrote:
Zajnet wrote:
@Mod:
Fixed. Please be sure that a vote is on a new line, as it is a lot easier to spot.
10-4
My GTKAS
Kov
Kov
Townie
Kov
Townie
Townie

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:02 pm

Post by Kov »

Unvote

I think I need to shift my vote though i am unsure were
won/lost
1 / 0
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:57 am

Post by jmurph3 »

@ Kov: I may give you a pass because this is your first-ever game, but despite Zajnet's assurance that this is what he would do, this
is not
what is normally done, at least as far as I have seen. With this much time left in D1, so much more information can come out before we actually make a lynch that it may be more beneficial to catch the scum by giving them more opportunity to trip up. After all, and overeager hammer may be just as likely done by overzealous town as it is by scum.

Since you've answered Mr. Flay's questions in a way that I see you as being newb-neutral rather than newb-scum, I'm going to
unvote
for the moment. Also, don't feel like you have to immediately shift your vote. You can just as easily FoS (finger of suspicion) or even HoS (hand of suspicion) instead of jumping votes.
Kov
Kov
Townie
Kov
Townie
Townie

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:33 am

Post by Kov »

OK, looking back Millar seemed very scummy.
Now in Haylen's 3rd post she says
Haylen wrote:
FoS Millar/Haylen

It doesn't matter that I'm the person who replaced him.
I did know his role before I replaced in
, because I seem to have very good reads on certain players
Now to me Millar seemed completely anti-town. I can't see how you would know he was townie. I can see how you would know he is scum. SO
FOS:Haylen
won/lost
1 / 0
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:58 am

Post by Haylen »

You're skipping what I said after. I had a good read on him. He wasn't anti-town, he was anti-newbie. He was being a dick. That doesn't mean that he's scum. I actually find that as much as I dislike Village Idiots, they tend to be town. I think that he was trying to continue the RVS so that the game came out of it naturally rather than be forced, which I actually find quite protown.
Seriously. Read your role PM before playing.
I am sorry if you have to prod me, I have absolutely no concept of time.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
a2rudeboy
a2rudeboy
Goon
a2rudeboy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:39 am

Post by a2rudeboy »

Nexus wrote:I'm going to come clean and admit my role as Vanilla Townie.
I understand you did this in response to try and get the pressure off. But, at the same time, admitting as a VT, has never seemed to me to be a particularly pro-town move. Assuming we have power roles in this game, a VT claim only serves to take one more person out of the scum's possibilities to who they want to get rid of first.

Such a claim almost decidedly hurts town if it's true, and obviously hurts town if it is false.

And it has apparently worked in terms of taking the heat off as the Nexus bandwagon has lost a considerable amount of steam.

Thoughts?
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:19 am

Post by jmurph3 »

a2rudeboy wrote:
Nexus wrote:I'm going to come clean and admit my role as Vanilla Townie.
I understand you did this in response to try and get the pressure off. But, at the same time, admitting as a VT, has never seemed to me to be a particularly pro-town move. Assuming we have power roles in this game, a VT claim only serves to take one more person out of the scum's possibilities to who they want to get rid of first.
I think Nexus did this not to get the pressure off, necessarily, but, given as he was was at L-1, to get his role out there in case it was a PR. Both Mr. Flay and I asked him to claim as it looked, based off of Kov's vote, that Nexus might get quicklynched. Also, while I agree in theory that it might take one person out of the scum's possibilities, it might also give them a person to NK (not saying this is any better, but just pointing it out). After all, by killing a claimed townie, they leave scummier-seeming players to distract and confuse the town.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #212 (ISO) » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:45 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Haylen wrote:You're skipping what I said after. I had a good read on him. He wasn't anti-town, he was anti-newbie. He was being a dick. That doesn't mean that he's scum. I actually find that as much as I dislike Village Idiots, they tend to be town. I think that he was trying to continue the RVS so that the game came out of it naturally rather than be forced, which I actually find quite protown.
That's not a role, that's a "playstyle"... you said you knew his
role
. millar's always a VI, but earlier I pointed out that he's never finished a game as scum. Can you explain? I'd also like to see where you get the idea that VIs tend to be Town, especially on Day One??

Speaking of meta, I disagree strongly with your graph for jmurph3. She's one of the few players yet who hasn't been prodded or replaced. You and Nexus are easily at the top of the posting heap, but look at the other players form comparison, if you will:
Spoiler: 9 graphics behind the cut

Lurking is about context - maybe you didn't notice that jmurph3 was only 'lurking' in comparison to you and Nexus, but why then did you pick him out versus other players that are posting LESS, like a2rudeboy or ChibiSanNub? It still looks like you're manufacturing
post hoc
, and I don't like it.
Kov wrote:
Mr. Flay wrote:Kov, I'm not really going to try to pick your posts apart until you answer two questions:
  1. Have you played Mafia before, either in person or on another site?
  2. If so, can you link to any games?
Both answers are No this is my first game and I am just playing the way I think is best to eliminate scum as fast as possible.
Okay. That makes sense, but it's alarming. Next time you vote (and you don't
always
have to be voting), try to explain WHY. You've done some of that now, but baiting... doesn't really work like that. I mean, not on MafiaScum. People tend to be very deliberate with their votes, outside of the RVS and endgame quicklynches.

We';re having major storms here so I guess the rest of my reply to Haylen will have to wait a while longer. Really though it boils down to a lot of seeming contradictions and borderline lies, like the "I'm not looking for a list" thing and the redundant IC-intro post.
Retired as of October 2014.
Earlder1
Earlder1
Goon
Earlder1
Goon
Goon

Post Post #213 (ISO) » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:50 pm

Post by Earlder1 »

Well I got prodded again, even though I posted two days ago. Oh well.
Modnote: Your last post was Sunday at 3:29am

After reading the thread, there are a few things I would like to mention, but not incredibly much because I feel I should read the thread again to fully understand and analyze it. First off, don't be so smug Nexus. It is annoying. You can think people are scum and have scum motives and it's fine to say that, but don't assume you're correct. Haylen could easily be town and you being so set on Haylen being scum would just hurt the town (assuming you're town as well). I still don't like Nexus' posting, even the recent ones. His jump onto the Haylen wagin is terrible, to say the least. I admit that Haylen is suspicious, but that jump is too unsettling for my liking. My vote stands.

Otherwise, I don't really have too much to contribute atm. I will reread the last few pages a time or 2 more and then post deeper thoughts. For the record, I am suspicious of Haylen, Kov somewhat, and obviously Nexus. I am getting town vibes from jmurph.
Last edited by CSL on Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mortality is the number 1 cause of death.

Town: 2-2
Scum: 1-0
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #214 (ISO) » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:58 pm

Post by Nexus »

Sorry /o\ didn't mean to come across as smug.

I'm also still suspicious of Earlder, and of Kov, because of his/her changing of vote so quickly.

I can't win-if I'd been the last person to lynch Haylen, I'd be wrong, if I was the first, I'd be wrong. So nevermind.
Trans rights are human rights.
Kov
Kov
Townie
Kov
Townie
Townie

Post Post #215 (ISO) » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:13 pm

Post by Kov »

Nexus wrote:Sorry /o\ didn't mean to come across as smug.

I'm also still suspicious of Earlder, and of Kov, because of his/her changing of vote so quickly.

I can't win-if I'd been the last person to lynch Haylen, I'd be wrong, if I was the first, I'd be wrong. So nevermind.
It's He :D

I didn't change my vote I unvoted there's a difference. I don't know who to vote at this point so I won't vote anyone unless I think they do something really scummy or we might end up with a no lynch.
won/lost
1 / 0
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #216 (ISO) » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:22 pm

Post by Nexus »

Except you had no qualms in initially voting for me, which is quite scummy, because you, as mafia, thought "Quick, get rid of the townie." I KNOW YOUR GAME. <-theoretically possible and reason for suspicion.
Trans rights are human rights.
Kov
Kov
Townie
Kov
Townie
Townie

Post Post #217 (ISO) » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:47 pm

Post by Kov »

OK, Nexus I had no qualms initially because I saw it as a good tactic to lure out a scum(Flay has explained it " doesn't really work like that" So i won't do it again). Now the fact it didn't work could mean you are one of the scum or that the scum are too smart to vote.

Shifting my vote would (after my initial quick-vote) would probably seem scummy instead I do nothing which the more I think about it seems kind of scummy.

I hate this game :P

jmurph3 wrote: I think Nexus did this not to get the pressure off, necessarily, but, given as he was was at L-1, to get his role out there in case it was a PR. Both Mr. Flay and I asked him to claim as it looked, based off of Kov's vote, that Nexus might get quicklynched. Also, while I agree in theory that it might take one person out of the scum's possibilities, it might also give them a person to NK (not saying this is any better, but just pointing it out). After all, by killing a claimed townie, they leave scummier-seeming players to distract and confuse the town.
So (this is just a newbie bit btw) tonight the scum wouldn't kill nexus because they claimed vanilla under pressure because they are more interested in power-players(cops and such). Or does leaving scummier players have more advantages. Also how do the other players seem scummier when under pressure would most players not claim power-role/vanilla townie whether they are scum or not?

Currently im not taking the fact Nexus claimed vanilla Townie as a town tell but as only meaning there not a power-role(unless there Mafia roleblocker ofc)

Just a note:
Earlder does seem to be lurking and not participating He says "even though I posted two days ago"when prodded suggesting he is trying to wait as long as possible which is anti-discussion therefore anti-town? (If that's wrong I actually do hate this game)
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #218 (ISO) » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:39 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Kov wrote:So (this is just a newbie bit btw) tonight the scum wouldn't kill nexus because they claimed vanilla under pressure because they are more interested in power-players(cops and such). Or does leaving scummier players have more advantages. Also how do the other players seem scummier when under pressure would most players not claim power-role/vanilla townie whether they are scum or not?
Talking about the nightkill before it happens is scummy - are you trying to communicate to your buddy?
Just a note:
Earlder does seem to be lurking and not participating He says "even though I posted two days ago"when prodded suggesting he is trying to wait as long as possible which is anti-discussion therefore anti-town?
Good point. Earlder1, response?

Zajnet, if you want us to 'get on track', you're going to have to post more content/analysis yourself.
Retired as of October 2014.
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #219 (ISO) » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:19 am

Post by Beefster »

Man. I really don't know what to think anymore. Before, I was confident that at least one of (Nexus, jmurph, Haylen) was scum, but I'm starting to second guess myself. Kov is starting to look fishy and Earlder is looking a little odd.
Despite that, I'm still waiting for jmurph's reaction before I do much else.
On hiatus indefinitely. This was a nice distraction when I was working through my faith transition out of Mormonism, but I need to move on to bigger and better things now.
Get to know a meat boy
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #220 (ISO) » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:20 am

Post by jmurph3 »

@Beefster: my reaction to what, exactly?
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #221 (ISO) » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:11 am

Post by CSL »

The Kick in the Arse Vote Count

Haylen (3) a2rudeboy, Mr. Flay, Nexus

jmurph3 (2) Beefster, Zajnet
Nexus (2) Earlder1, Haylen

Not Voting: Kov, jmurph3

Deadline and Lynch info

Currently set for Thursday, July 29th, at 7:00pm EST

There are NINE alive, so FIVE votes on a player will lynch.

Haylen is currently at L-2

V/LA's and Prods

Mr. Flay is on a perpetual V/LA status

Etc.
Last edited by CSL on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Show

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

Kov
Kov
Townie
Kov
Townie
Townie

Post Post #222 (ISO) » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:17 am

Post by Kov »

@ Mod Post 207
jmurph3 wrote:
unvote
won/lost
1 / 0
Kov
Kov
Townie
Kov
Townie
Townie

Post Post #223 (ISO) » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:23 am

Post by Kov »

Mr. Flay wrote:
Kov wrote:So (this is just a newbie bit btw) tonight the scum wouldn't kill nexus because they claimed vanilla under pressure because they are more interested in power-players(cops and such). Or does leaving scummier players have more advantages. Also how do the other players seem scummier when under pressure would most players not claim power-role/vanilla townie whether they are scum or not?
Talking about the nightkill before it happens is scummy - are you trying to communicate to your buddy?
You caught me! because a newbie isn't allowed to ask questions in there first game. I was debating to leave it out but best to learn what to do as Mafia as eventually I will be scum. AND is it really scummy as why on earth would they draw any attention to the nightkill as whatever they say can be used against them.
won/lost
1 / 0
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #224 (ISO) » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:27 am

Post by jmurph3 »

@Mod: I unvoted Kov. Thanks!

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”