Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #2450 (ISO) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:05 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

Once I get a Lower Load of games to mod, I would (eventually) like to mod
Thrillville: Off The Rails
Mafia.

The big change to the mechanic of the Original would be getting "points" based on being a good townie (providing cases, voting, FoSes, posting meaningful posts etc.), and once you get a certain amount of points, you would "rank up", like in the game, and aqquire anew PR, or a fix to an old one. All people would start at Rank 0.

EX.

I am at rank 0 (and I start of as a Vanilla Goon)

When I rank up, at say, page 5, I may gain a GF ability, but only with a 50% chance of working (rank 1)

When I rank up again, at say, page 12, My GF ability will always work (rank 2)

For the last rank up, I may get a 1-shot Janitor ability (hiding the role of the other player, but revealing it to only that player)

Now, you may be saying
But what if I just vote (or FoS) and unvote (or unFoS) X amount of times to rank up?
My answer to that is
Only two votes and FoSes would count each page!
Last edited by animorpherv1 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2451 (ISO) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:07 am

Post by zoraster »

Does it bother you that you'll have to make the subjective determination of who is worthy of points? Or will you provide some way for the players to evaluate that?
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #2452 (ISO) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:09 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

zoraster wrote:Does it bother you that you'll have to make the subjective determination of who is worthy of points? Or will you provide some way for the players to evaluate that?

It'll more than likley be the latter. Like, a player would PM me when another player has made a meaningful post. Of course, there would need to be restrictions on this to.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2453 (ISO) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:13 am

Post by zoraster »

so if a player is confirmed or mostly confirmed as town and the town decides to send you a million PMs to level him up to be uber? How about if mafia players want to rank up their own players? How about if town determines that the best thing for them to do is not to PM ever because it's more likely to help scum than town (after all, in a 12 player game with 3 scum, town has a 1/4th chance of helping a scum level up whereas a scum will never help a town level up).
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #2454 (ISO) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:18 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

zoraster wrote:so if a player is confirmed or mostly confirmed as town and the town decides to send you a million PMs to level him up to be uber?
I'd more than likely make a max # (2 a day, maybe?) of times you can PM me to give points. See 1) and 2)
How about if mafia players want to rank up their own players?
Same as before. Make a max # times a single player can PM me to give points. See 1) and 2)
How about if town determines that the best thing for them to do is not to PM ever because it's more likely to help scum than town (after all, in a 12 player game with 3 scum, town has a 1/4th chance of helping a scum level up whereas a scum will never help a town level up).
Then that is their decision. There are other ways of getting points, to.
answers in bold

1) Another way could be if you give someone points, you will lose that many points.

2) Each player would definatley be able to give 1 point at a time.

Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #2455 (ISO) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:17 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Yeah, I have a hard time seeing how that could work. I've seen games that outright vote people PRs or NK-immunity or whatever, but trying to do it on a per-post basis? Oi...
Retired as of October 2014.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #2456 (ISO) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:24 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

hahahah, I'm not that good at Theme Ideas, am I.

Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2457 (ISO) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:25 am

Post by Andrius »

@ ani: I definitely think it has potential. You just have to work out how these townie points will be given out. :/
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #2458 (ISO) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:43 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

So, anyone have any Ideas? Constrictive Critisism is great, but I need some problem fixers, to.

EDIT: I'd like to keep the Rank Idea, so henceforth the Town Ponts as well.

Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2459 (ISO) » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:34 pm

Post by Andrius »

animorpherv1 wrote:So, anyone have any Ideas? Constrictive Critisism is great, but I need some problem fixers, to.

EDIT: I'd like to keep the Rank Idea, so henceforth the Town Ponts as well.
I'd be willing to help you out.

Townie points per page or per post is asking for trouble, as Flay mentioned.
Perhaps you could have it be a night action? Like all characters get a 'Townie Point' they can give to someone else. Each player would have their list of 'Ranks' given to them at the start of the game, so they can sort-of campaign for points.

edit: Hell, you could even have a player whose role entitles them to give out 2/3 townie points a night.

Let's say I'm a Town Protection Role. :doc:
At Rank 0 I am a Faith Healer (50% chance of success).
At Rank 1 I am a Doctor.
At Rank 2 I am a White Mage. (Just an example.)
At Rank 3 I am a Doctor and Watcher.

In order to progress through the 'Ranks' you need townie points. Let's say that there are 12 players. In order to hit Rank 1 you need at least 2 Points; Rank 2, 4 points; Rank 3, points.

So N0 there would be townie point assigning. The points affect the D1/N1 cycle. N1 the points affect the D2/N2 cycle, etc.

Scum would have their own buddies to give them townie points, so the scum PRs will never suffer too badly.

How's that?
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #2460 (ISO) » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:56 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

Hmm.... I like the idea, to a point. The one problem with that is if town decides to mass point give to a player who is scum. That way, town gets nothing.

And I wanted to promote good town play.

Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #2461 (ISO) » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:14 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

animorpherv1 wrote:Hmm.... I like the idea, to a point. The one problem with that is if town decides to mass point give to a player who is scum.
I don't understand - if Town gives points/a pass/free lynches to a Scum player, they almost
always
lose (and
deserve
to). That's sort of the point of the game as Town... if you trust the wrong person/people too much, you die.

How are you envisioning play that wouldn't be susceptible to that problem??
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #2462 (ISO) » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:22 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

Mr. Flay wrote:
animorpherv1 wrote:Hmm.... I like the idea, to a point. The one problem with that is if town decides to mass point give to a player who is scum.
I don't understand - if Town gives points/a pass/free lynches to a Scum player, they almost
always
lose (and
deserve
to). That's sort of the point of the game as Town... if you trust the wrong person/people too much, you die.

How are you envisioning play that wouldn't be susceptible to that problem??
I actually have an idea of how to get started on this.

After Thrillville ends, I will send all the players a Survey. That survey will include what they think good town play is. I will use
The most popular definition
as "good town play", and every time I see that, I will give that player a point.

Of course, with a small sample size (12 players) I'd need to make more people take the survey.

animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #2463 (ISO) » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:48 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

Alright, the survey has been made just PM me if you want one.

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #2464 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:08 am

Post by mith »

Themes I am currently considering for my next game:

Pushing Daisies
Weird Al
Eat Poop You Cat
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2465 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:42 am

Post by Vi »

mith wrote:Eat Poop You Cat
I'm not sure how you plan on turning this into a Mafia game :?

Weird Al Mafia sounds like the kind of offbeat game I'd play though.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #2466 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:43 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Weird Al sounds like a trip.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #2467 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:47 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

Mr. Flay wrote:Weird Al sounds like a trip.
+1 for EPYC or Weird Al.

Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2468 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:22 pm

Post by Max »

I'm not sure on the theme of my next large(s):
'Semi-Open Series' - What makes this the theme is the fact that the theme will also be semi-open (from a set of Mechanic alterations)
'Family Mafia' - This is currently just in its drafting stage where rather than each person being a single person they are a family, one family shares the same alignment except each character has a different power. This is an example of a role/family.
The Socialites wrote:You are the
Socialites
. The friendliest family in town with contacts in all walks of life from the successful business family
The Riches
to the detested of the town
The Whites

You are a family with two parents and two children.

You are
Momma Socialite
you are a party queen, spending nights out frequently. Every other night you may go partying thus making yourself immune to kills, you may choose to take your husband with you. If you take your husband with you there is a 50% chance you gain power information about somebody else who attended the party (Voyeur).
You are
Poppa Socialite
you like to spend nights out flirting with women half your age. Don't despair though your wife doesn't know. If your wife goes to a party without you, you may target one female of your choice and form a mason-group with her. If you go to a party with your wife and one of your subjects is there the relationship will fail and you will leave your family.
You are
Cheerleading Socialite
you are like your mother. Except you use the internet and telephones (ZOMG you just got a text). You are in contact with {Insert other teenagers in town} you may send up to ten texts each night to them. If another teenager hosts a party you will have to go and be considered roleblocked for that night.
You are
Misfit Socialite
, unlike the rest of your family you don't like parties. Instead you prefer your own company and the vast library your family has (though you doubt others in the family can read), each night you may choose between going to chess club (earning yourself an extra vote) or going to the opera (teaching you the capability to converse with the {insert foreign surname} - with increasing success as you go more frequently)
Obviously this is a talk-heavy role. This family would have 4 votes (one for each family member) and these votes can be split. Parties would have repercussions (drinks might get spiked) taking out their vote or roleblocking any potential benefits.

Relay Mafia
- Normal set-up with 13 players but every X days the people playing each role changes. Say A-M are playing days 1 and 2 then day three they change to N-V. There is an intermediate period where the two can talk (probably limited to a week). I'm not sure if fresh people should come through again or whether they change back to their original characters.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2469 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

Not sure if this fits here -- for Theme -- or if it should really be over there, in the Loony Bin.

I would like to run a 100-player Mafiapalooza!! next summer (2011).

I'm going to need some help designing it, though. Any volunteers?
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2470 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:33 pm

Post by Andrius »

Nobody Special wrote:Not sure if this fits here -- for Theme -- or if it should really be over there, in the Loony Bin.

I would like to run a 100-player Mafiapalooza!! next summer (2011).

I'm going to need some help designing it, though. Any volunteers?
rofl I'd be able to help, but idk how you're going to get 100 players. >_>
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2471 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:38 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

I love a challenge. That's why I'll be advertising it very, very early. (Like, starting in October.)
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2472 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:42 pm

Post by Andrius »

Nobody Special wrote:I love a challenge. That's why I'll be advertising it very, very early. (Like, starting in October.)
Yeah, same here. I mean, idk how successful it will be, but it'll be loads of fun trying to make it work. lol
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #2473 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:32 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Biggest game ever tried here was (IIRC) 54 players. It died a massive death.

I think one succeeded that was 50, but I can't remember which one. Several in the 30s have worked... 100? Good Luck.
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2474 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:02 pm

Post by Max »

I think to get 100 you would need to use a bad idea nightless theme. Otherwise it would take a long while for the game to end. And getting a majority of 51 would take forever your lynching system would have to be bizarre.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”