Mini 981: Descent into Chaos (Game Over)

SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Mini 981: Descent into Chaos (Game Over)

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Sat May 29, 2010 5:09 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

The Moderators

Primary: SaintKerrigan
Backup: Haylen

The Reviewers

LlamaFluff, ooba, and Haylen

The Living

Spoiler: Game Over
VasudeVa, Theadora Lye,
Renegade Sorceress
, survives and wins the game.

Nikanor, Vastedon Kowrelle,
Treacherous Sorcerer

Kenman, Gaston Hartley,
Renegade Sorcerer

The Dead

Spoiler: Game Over
Haylen, Xelmas Trell,
Guild Apprentice Sorcerer
, had his throat slit in the pre-game

easjo682, Ferdinand Kepples,
Guild Sorcerer
, was lynched on Day 1 (Revived on Night 1)

UncertainKitten, Alicia Tabbernathy,
Guild Sorceress
, was magically strangled on Day 1

Albert B. Rampage, Jules Wescott,
Guild Sorcerer
, was lynched on Day 2

ReaperCharlie, Hyperion Maci,
Guild Sorcerer
, had his throat slit on Night 2

Me=Weird, Abner Jayworthy,
Servant of Xastarte
, was detonated magically (lynched) on Day 3

farside22, Ptero "Peg" Darmouth,
Guild Sorcerer
, had his throat slit on Night 3.

Chronopie, Marya Torr,
Guild Sorceress
, was impaled in the face (lynched) and incinerated on Day 4.

havingfitz
vIQleS
, Jonqin Aldertoss,
Guild Sorcerer
, was mercilessly beaten (lynched) on Day 5.

animorpherv1
easjo682
, Ferdinand Kepples,
Guild Sorcerer
, had his skull bashed into the floor in the endgame.
Pittbunny, Rachella Harlek,
Guild Sorceress
, clumsily fell on the floor and was stabbed to death in the endgame.
Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 29 times in total.
ALMOST ALWAYS BUSY 9-6 CST WEEKDAYS
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Sat May 29, 2010 5:17 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

For the previous two story segments, refer to these links.

Part 1

Part 2

It had been a long, chilly, and mostly uneventful journey to the Cursed Caverns. There were fourteen of us, in total: myself, Abner, Alicia, Hyperion Maci, Gaston Hartley, Rachella Harlek, Marya Torr, Vastedon Kowrelle, Theadora Lye, Ferdinand Kepples, Jules Wescott, Ptero "Peg" Darmouth, and his apprentice Xelmas Trell. Over the course of the trek, we'd shared some stories, chuckled over amusing mishaps (Rachella falling into the Snake River while trying to get a drink was one that stuck in my mind), but all the while a sense of seriousness remained settled over the party. This was an ancient daemonic artifact we were dealing with, after all. Who knew what awaited us within those halls of stone...

On the fourteenth day of the trek, we arrived at the mouth of the Cursed Caverns. Nestled at the base of Chyren Mountain, the darkness seemed to seep out from within, with one hand trying to frighten you out of your mortal mind, and with the other hand beckoning you to enter in and discover its dark secrets. I shivered, and not from the cold.

Don't worry, Santas. You've got twelve sorcerers and an apprentice to protect you. Things will be fine. Besides, you need the money.

"So what do you think?" Abner had come up beside me. "As foreboding as you imagined it?"

"Worse," I replied. "But that's what you guys are here for, right?"

He chuckled. "Don't worry, Santas, we'll keep you alive."

Alicia walked up to us. "Should we go in yet?" she asked Abner. "The rest of us are waiting.

Abner looked at me, and I shrugged. "We can at least go in a little, see what it feels like," Abner answered. "Tell Xelmas he needs to stay with the supply wagon, though."

Alicia nodded, and trotted off. I still had a hard time taking my eyes off her, magic or no.

"Look at it this way," Abner remarked. "At least you haven't seen her naked. Then she's impossible to get out of your mind."

I laughed. "I'll bet."

"Well, I'll go get the others," said Abner.

"Okay. I'll go get something to eat from the supply cart," I responded.

Abner nodded, and we went our separate ways. The food cart was close by, but at the moment only the mule was keeping it company.
Where's Peg?
I thought.
He should be keeping watch over the cart.

I pushed the curiosity out of my mind and rummaged through the cart for some traveler's bread. Upon finding a square, I took it out and nibbled away at it. It was a small, compact bread, which made it ideal for sojourners of long distances. It even managed to taste halfway decent. Almost like that flatbread pie Viola used to make...

I shook my head vehemently.
The bitch is gone. You're free of her. Get her out of your mind!
I began to imagine what a sensuously nude Alicia would look like instead...

Suddenly, I heard a loud scream, which was suddenly cut off.
What the daemon? What's happening?

The scream came from the direction of the Snake River, and hurriedly I rushed that way, shoving the rest of the traveler's bread into my mouth in the process.

By the time I got to the site of the scream, the others had found their way there as well. Peg was kneeling over a human corpse. I moved in to get a closer look.

It was Xelmas. His throat had been slit open, and was gushing dark red blood all over the front of his blue robes. Dead less than five minutes ago, by my guesswork.

"Damn you filthy bastards!" Peg screamed at the sky. "Damn you to damnation!"

Abner approached Peg. "Did you see who it was?" he asked.

Peg shook his head. "No. But don't you see? It has to be one of you! We're the only people out this far, it can't be anyone else!"

A coldness crept into my mind. If what Peg said was true...then there were traitors in our party. And judging by their treatment of Xelmas, it seemed clear what their intentions were...
Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Mon May 31, 2010 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #2 (isolation #2) » Sun May 30, 2010 7:58 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

SaintKerrigan's Mafia Ruleset

Descent into Chaos Variant

Spoiler: Read these carefully, they're very important.
Article I: Chronological System

1. The game-day has two phases: day and night.
2. The game starts on a day phase, which lasts for six days, or until someone is lynched.
3. Once someone is lynched, the twilight sub-phase begins.
3a. The twilight sub-phase ends once the mod has posted a lynch scene.
4. When twilight ends, the night phase begins, which lasts for 72 hours total.
4a. No posting is allowed during the night.
5. Scum may communicate privately during the night via their quicktopic.
5a. Scum may not communicate privately during the day.

Article II: Items and the Inventory

1. The game possesses items.
2. Possession of an item gives the owner the item's associated actions.
3. All players have an inventory.
3a. Most items have an Inventory Cost.
3b. The combined Inventory Cost of your items cannot exceed 6, unless otherwise stated.

Article III: Actions

1. All actions may be submitted during the day or the night phase via PM to the mod.
1a. Once you submit an action during the game-day (day/night phase), you may not submit that same action again until the next game-day, unless otherwise stated.
1b. If a player has more than one item, the player may only submit one action per phase, unless otherwise stated.
1c. A player may not submit an item's action twice in the same phase, unless otherwise stated.
2. All actions are resolved at the end of each phase, according to the game's custom Action Resultion (which is based loosely on Natural Action Resolution).
3. If you have not submitted an action by the end of a particular phase, you will be assumed to have taken
No Action
4. Players may drop items, either voluntarily (by stating
Drop: Item X
in thread or through PM) or through death. The mod will then inform everyone else that the item has been dropped.
4a. Other players may pick up dropped items by stating
Grab: Item X
in the thread.
4b. Once a player has made such a post as described above, an unspecified amount of time will count down. Once this timer runs out, no additional item-grab posts will be considered.
4c. If multiple items are on the ground, players must grab each item individually.
4d. The mod will decide via randomization which of the valid item-grab posters gets the item.
4e. If an item is dropped at the end of the day, you cannot claim the item until the following day.
4f. The mod will not publicly reveal who received the item.
5. Players may also give items to another player by PM-ing
Give Item X to Player Y
to the mod.
5a. If a player does not have enough inventory space for the item, the transfer will not be approved.
5b. If two players give each other items at the same time, the mod will process both give actions at the same time.
5c. The receiving player is not told who gave them the item.
6. If a player acquires a new item that has already been used once that game-day, the player may not use that item until the next game-day.

Article IV: Sleep Cycle

1. The game posses a mechanic called the Sleep Cycle, which affects a player's ability to vote and perform actions.
2. At the start of a phase (within 24 hours after phase start), a player may choose to sleep.
2a. Sleep lasts for three real-life days (or until the end of the phase, whichever comes first), and removes all adverse effects caused by not sleeping for long periods of time.
2b. A sleeping player may not post or submit any action while sleeping.
2c. If you submit an action, make a post, or wait longer than 24 hours before you inform the mod that you wish to sleep, you forfeit the option to sleep during that phase.
3. For two consecutive phases, the Sleep Cycle does not affect a player at all.
3a. If a player stays awake for more than two consecutive phases, there is a small chance that the player's votes and actions will be either randomized or fail to occur.
3b. After four consecutive phases without sleep, the chance of the above events occurring greatly increases.
3c. Once six consecutive phases without sleep have passed, the player must sleep through the entire next phase.
4. If an action fails to occur on account of the Sleep Cycle, the action still counts as being used up.

Article V: Voting

1. During the day, you may place votes on a person using this format:
Vote: Player X
1a. Unvotes are not required, but are very helpful.
2. When a player receives a number of votes equal to half the total number of people able to vote plus one, that player will be lynched.
3. If the deadline has passed and no one has received more than half the total votes, no one will be lynched.
4. If players are asleep during the day cycle, they will be out of the game for vote count purposes. Thus, the number of votes it takes to lynch may decrease because of this.

Article VI: Twilight

1. Votes and unvotes will not be counted during twilight.
2. The lynchee may continue to talk during this time, as well as any other living player.
3. Actions may not be submitted during Twilight.

Article VII: Activity

1. If a player has not posted within 48 hours, they will be prodded.
2. Failure to reply to the prod in thread (or by PM during the night) in 24 hours will result in replacement of that player.
3. If a player has received a total of two prods and is in need of another prod, they will be automatically replaced.

Article VIII: Capital Offenses

1. Do not quote your Role or Item PM.
2. Do not use invisible text, codes, cryptography, etc.
3. If you have the power to edit your posts, don't.
4. Do not insult other players personally.
5. Do not test the mod by experimenting to see what he considers a personal insult.
Dark Red
is the mod's color. Don't use it.
7. Do not talk about ongoing games.
8. Do not quote any QuickTopics you may have access to, unless the mod has given you permission.
9. Do not violate the spirit of the game.
10. If any of these offenses in Article VIII are committed, the first action taken will be a warning against the player (unless the rule infraction results in a damaging of the game, in which case modkill will occur).
11. Any further offenses committed will result in one of three things: a sterner warning, forced replacement, or a modkill, to be determined at the mod's discretion.
12. Modkill means you are removed from the game and autolossed.

Article IX: Miscellaneous

1. The mod has the final say on any issue.
1a. However, the mod can make mistakes. If he does, please point them out either in a PM or in thread.
2. If something is missing from this ruleset, do not exploit the loophole. Instead, point it out to the mod so it can be corrected. Taking advantage of a loophole will result in a modkill.
3. If you need any help, or have questions, or just want to talk in general, feel free to PM the mod.
3a. This does not mean the mod is obligated to answer any of your questions.
4. In some games, dead people can talk. Unless stated otherwise, you may not do so here (bah posts are allowed).
5. The mod reserves the right to edit this ruleset as he deems necessary.
6. Flavor is simply flavor. Speculate things about it at your own peril.

Article X: The Most Important Rule of All

1. Remember, this is a game. Don't forget to have fun!

Here is a Sample Town PM

Hello, [Player]. Your game-name is
[game-name]
. This name will be publicly known and will be used for flavor purposes only. It does not indicate your alignment whatsoever.

[Flavor]

You are a
Guild Sorcerer
. Your alignment is
Town

[Item Details Follow]

You win when no threats to the party (town) remain.
Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 14 times in total.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #3 (isolation #3) » Sun May 30, 2010 8:00 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Role PMs will be going out shortly...
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #4 (isolation #4) » Sun May 30, 2010 9:39 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

All Role PMs have been sent. I will unlock the thread and start the game once I have ten out of twelve confirmations. Additionally, farside22 is on V/LA until Tuesday.

P.S. If you fail to confirm your Role PM by Tuesday at 9:00 a.m. CST, you will be replaced. (Farside is exempt from this due to her V/LA)
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #5 (isolation #5) » Mon May 31, 2010 4:54 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Eleven people have confirmed. Unlocking the thread now.

Everyone glanced tentatively at each other. Who among them was a killer? Could anyone be trusted? I started to wonder if joining this expedition had been such a good idea. Money's no good to you if you're dead...

"We obviously can't go into the Cursed Caverns yet," Abner declared. "Not when we're afraid of having a knife plunged into our backs. There's only one thing left to do."

It quickly dawned on the rest of us what he was talking about. Rachella didn't quite get it, though. "What's that?" she asked innocently.

Abner stared at her. "We vote as a group to execute one of us. We do this every day until we're sure there's no traitors left in our party."

Rachella's eyes widened. "Execute...oh, my! Gods help us!"

Indeed,
I thought solemnly.
Gods help us all...

Vote Count 1.0

Not Voting: vIQleS, ReaperCharlie, Albert B. Rampage, VasudeVa, Nikanor, Chronopie, Pittbunny, Kenman, easjo682, Me=Weird, UncertainKitten, farside22

With 12 players alive, it takes 7 votes to lynch.
Deadline is Sunday, June 6th, 2010 at 11:00 a.m. CST.
Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #6 (isolation #6) » Mon May 31, 2010 5:15 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

The ruleset has been modified.

4e. If an item is dropped at the end of the day, you cannot grab the item until the following day.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #13 (isolation #7) » Mon May 31, 2010 7:28 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Bah, I goofed on the deadline...

The correct deadline is Sunday, June 6th, 2010 at 11:00 a.m. CST.

I should also add that occasionally I like to edit things into your posts, whether they be answers to questions or just bits of humor. If you don't want me to do this to your posts, please say so.

And finally, because I forgot to say this elsewhere, flavor has nothing to do with alignments and items and whatnot.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #26 (isolation #8) » Mon May 31, 2010 8:22 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Abner came up to me as people began their discussions. "You are getting all this down, right?"

"Um, what?"

"You're here to record this expedition's happenings," he reminded me. "These chain of events may not have been...expected, but nonetheless they should still be taken down."

I stared at him. "How can you still think of things like that?"

"It's not just that," Abner added. "You're also a scribe. People trust your word. So as long as you go around and record what people do, we'll have an official record to bring back to the Guild when all this is over."

"How do you know I'm not a murderer?" I asked.

"Because you're not a sorcerer. You're the only person here that I truly trust." With that, he patted my shoulder and left me to my thoughts.

What he said did make sense. I was still having a hard time dealing with the probability of treachery, especially since our lives were now at stake.
So do your work, Santas, and take your mind off such dark and gloomy prospects.

I nodded my head to myself. Taking my official scribe's writing book and charcoal pencil out of their leather sack, I went in the midst of the group to catch some conversation.

Vote Count 1.1

(1) SaintKerrigan: UncertainKitten
(1) VasudeVa: Me=Weird
(1) UncertainKitten: Kenman

Not Voting: vIQleS, ReaperCharlie, Albert B. Rampage, VasudeVa, Nikanor, Chronopie, Pittbunny, easjo682, farside22

Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Mon May 31, 2010 3:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #51 (isolation #9) » Mon May 31, 2010 12:49 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Out of the corner of my eye, I espied Alicia and Rachella in a heated argument. I moved in closer to record what they were saying.

"...so how do we know
you
aren't a killer?" Rachella was demanding to know.

Alicia shrugged. "Do I look like a killer? You're just jealous cause you never get any."

Rachella's mouth dropped. "How dare you say that!"

"Uh huh. I knew it. They
all
look up to me, hon, and wish they could be my shoes. But you don't have my looks, you don't have my body, and you don't even have my talent. And I most certainly wouldn't kill a man who wasn't a eunuch."

"You are the most vain woman I have ever known!"

Alicia grinned. "Yep." She glanced in my direction. "It's all true though, right Santas, darling?"

My mind froze, desperately searching for pacifistic words that would calm the storm. While my mind was searching, Alicia said,

"See, Rachella? Spellbound by my very presence..."

Rachella humphed. "Well, let's see what happens later on! We'll see if you're made of more than vulnerable flesh!" With those words, she turned to scurry off. In the process, she caught her foot on a rock and fell face-first into the dirt.

Chortling, Alicia waved her off and walked away. I was tempted to follow her, but I decided it would be good to see what other people were talking about.

Vote Count 1.2

(1) UncertainKitten: Kenman
(1) Chronopie: Albert B. Rampage
1) Pitbunny: UncertainKitten

Not Voting: vIQleS, ReaperCharlie, VasudeVa, Nikanor, Chronopie, Pittbunny, easjo682, farside22

With 12 players alive, it takes 7 to lynch.
Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Mon May 31, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #69 (isolation #10) » Mon May 31, 2010 3:05 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

vIQleS wrote:Oh and - just to be a pain: would it be too much to ask for the deadlines to be relative based on "now"?

Some of us* don't have the ability to automatically convert timezones in our heads, so something like "3 days from this post" would be dead useful...

*i.e. me.
No problem.
Countdown.

All vote counts will now carry this countdown timer.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #90 (isolation #11) » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:05 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Nearby, I saw Gaston Hartley seated on a fallen log, with Jonqin Aldertoss and Jules Wescott seated on the ground in front of him. Ambling closer, I took a seat on the log, on Gaston's right-hand side, and began recording their words.

"I'm telling you, you can't just have head knowledge!" Gaston was protesting. "You've got to have experience, too! And quite frankly, the fact that neither of you have had much combat experience isn't good."

"So?" Jules inquired. "You can solve anything as long as you think hard enough about it."

Jonqin nodded. "In fact, why are we resorting to this barbaric ritual at all? Can't we find a diplomatic solution for all this?"

"Seriously?" Gaston folded his arms across his chest. "One of us is murdered. You really think that we'll find a peaceful way to solve this? I'm telling you, it'll come down to fighting, and you don't have the time to think through everything in the heat of battle, Jules."

"Bah," Jules retorted. "Mind trumps everything."

"Besides, I'm a researcher," Jonqin pointed out. "I have run countless numbers of hypothetical scenarios under a multitude of battle conditions, some of which you've never faced in your life, Gaston! I think it's fair to say
I'm
more experienced than
you
!"

Gaston spit on the ground. "But you could always quit when things went wrong, couldn't you? Good luck trying that here." With that, he pushed himself to his feet and looked down at me. "And I don't suppose you've ever fought a battle of any sort?" he added snidely.

I thought for a moment. "There was the one time I tried to tackle a greased pig in the Hayfield Festival..."

"Ha!" Gaston strode past me and off toward a cluster that I could see included Theodora Lye, Hyperion Maci, and Peg Darmouth.

Jules looked at me. "No brains, that one," he commented. "With the mind, anything is possible."

Even as I scribbled the words down, I couldn't help but think that Gaston was right. Head knowledge is no substitute over combat experience. Not that I ever had to do any fighting, though, unless you counted that greased pig incident, and the battlefield of love...

Maybe that's why they say love is war...

Vote Count 1.3

(4) UncertainKitten: Kenman, farside22, easjo682, VasudeVa
(1) Pittbunny: UncertainKitten
(1) Albert B. Rampage: vIQleS
(1) ReaperCharlie: Pittbunny

Not Voting: ReaperCharlie, Nikanor, Chronopie

With 12 players alive, it takes 7 to lynch.
Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #122 (isolation #12) » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:52 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

The Ruleset has been modified.

From

2. At the start of a phase
(within 24 hours after phase start)
, a player may choose to sleep.

From

2a. Sleep lasts for three real-life days
(or until the end of the phase, whichever comes first)
, and removes all adverse effects caused by not sleeping for long periods of time.

From

2c. If you submit an action, make a post, or
wait longer than 24 hours
before you inform the mod that you wish to sleep, you forfeit the option to sleep during that phase.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #124 (isolation #13) » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:00 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

*bumping for a vote count*
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #125 (isolation #14) » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:01 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

I decided to get up and move on to the group Gaston had joined. As I looked at the group, I could see an interesting dynamic going on. While Gaston, Theadora, and Hyperion all seemed to be actually part of the group, Peg stood slightly to the outside, looking on and listening in.

For a moment I looked down at Peg's lower body, conscious of the wooden leg underneath the blue robe. From what I'd heard, he'd once been a very powerful sorcerer in his own right. An accident fighting imps in the Yandes mountains took his leg, however, and he just wasn't the same since. Focusing on the task at hand, I moved closer to listen in to the conversation.

"...don't you see?" Hyperion was asking. "It's got to be the Eye! That's why this is happening!"

Theadora looked at him blankly. "Say what?"

"Yeah, I'm not following, either," said Gaston.

"We know the Eye has tremendous power," Hyperion explained. "Everyone else who's gone after it has never come out. The Eye must be defending itself, somehow."

Theadora shook her head. "You may have much experience fighting daemonic powers, Hyperion, but this is rather far-fetched, especially since we don't know what the Eye is capable of."

"That's the point. We don't know."

"Hold it." All of us turned to look at Peg, staring at us through squint eyes. "Doesn't anyone care about Xelmas? Poor boy, barely a year in the Guild."

"Truly sad, indeed," Theodora nodded.

"But we must look to ourselves now," Hyperion added. "If we don't find out what's happening and put a stop to it, we'll all die."

"Shouldn't we at least bury the body?" Peg pleaded. "It's not fitting for a man to have his body fed upon by the crows."

"As much as it would be proper, we don't have the luxury of formality." Hyperion glanced at us all. "When dealing with the power of daemons, you can never let down your guard."

"I'd do it, dammit, but my leg won't take a shovel!" Peg shouted. "Have you no honor?"

Hyperion shook his head. "Honor, unfortunately, is also a luxury."

"You're insane," Peg growled, and he turned around and thudded away. I looked back at Hyperion.
That was callous. Xelmas deserves a burial. I should speak to Abner about this.

I departed the group and went to find Abner.

Vote Count 1.4

(3) UncertainKitten: Kenman, easjo682, VasudeVa
(2) easjo682: UncertainKitten, farside22

Not Voting: ReaperCharlie, Nikanor, Chronopie

Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #159 (isolation #15) » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:20 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

I looked around the river area, but couldn't find Abner there. I then went up to the supply wagon to see if he went to get something, but when I got there, the only two people I saw were Ferdinand Kepples and Marya Torr. They looked at me as I approached them.

"What's going on?" Ferdinand asked me, in that nasally tenor voice of his. For some reason, it irritated me.

"I'm looking for Abner," I replied. "Either of you seen him?"

They shook their heads. "Haven't seen him since we left the riverside," Marya replied. "Probably hanging out with that bitch Alicia."

"He told me they stopped having a relationship a long time ago," I said.

Marya sneered. "And when has that stopped her from doing anything? She's nothing but a whore in Guild clothing. She can't take what a real sorceress could take."

"And I suppose you're going to prove it, huh?"

"Just you wait. She thinks she's a goddess, but she'll fall to earth soon enough." Marya brushed past me and walked toward the river.

"She's particularly icy today," I remarked.

Ferdinand nodded quietly and nibbled on his traveler's bread. I waved farewell and went towards the cave entrance to see if Abner had gone there, for some reason.

Vote Count 1.5

(3) easjo682: UncertainKitten, farside22, Nikanor
(2) UncertainKitten: easjo682, VasudeVa

Not Voting: ReaperCharlie, Chronopie, Kenman

SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #168 (isolation #16) » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:43 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Just letting you guys know that I'm going on V/LA until early Saturday morning, so I won't be checking the site as frequently as usual during that period. I'll still be around, though, so you can still ask me stuff and send me actions.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #198 (isolation #17) » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:20 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

After walking only a short distance, though, I heard footsteps approach the supply wagon. Turning to look, I saw Vastedon Kowrelle going for the traveler's bread. Since he could know the whereabouts of Abner, I decided to chat with him before continuing on to the cave entrance.

Striding up to him, I said, "Hungry, Vastedon?"

He nodded his head. "All this arguing uses up energy. Gotta stay stocked, stay ready. You never know what'll happen next."

"Yeah, thanks for reminding me about how dangerous this situation is. Anyway, you seen Abner?"

"Thought I saw him go toward the cave entrance a while back. Why?"

"Oh, just want to talk with him about something." I noticed he was going for one of the wine bottles as well. "Hey! You shouldn't be drinking on the job!"

"It steels my nerves," he explained. "To think that we'd be betrayed by our own. It makes one a bit...high-strung. How do I know that a knife won't be plunged into my back?"

"But drinking dulls your mind. And you said yourself, you've gotta be ready."

Vastedon glared at me. "Look, you let me take care of myself the best way I know how. Got it?"

The thought of what a drunk sorcerer could do to my body crossed my mind. "Sure," I concurred, making for the entrance to the Cursed Caverns as quickly as a walking speed allowed.
I really hope something's not going to go wrong...

Vote Count 1.6

(2) ReaperCharlie: Pittbunny, Kenman

Not Voting: ReaperCharlie, Chronopie, vIQleS

Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #250 (isolation #18) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:40 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

As I approached the mouth of the Cursed Caverns, the cold chill in my spine returned. Try as I might to think of other things, I could not banish the feeling from my mind. With every step of approach I took, daemonic fingers seemed to grip my spine tighter, threatening to rip it from my back should I dare to violate the sacred sanctum...

Just then, I saw Abner depart from within the cave's entrance.
What was he doing in there?
I wondered. In his hand he held a massive book.

He looked up and saw my approach. "Ho," he called.

"Ho," I called back, stepping up next to him. "Where've you been?"

"Looking around," he replied. "I've spent a good portion of my life putting together this expedition. We may not be able to explore it right now, but I wanted to go a bit of the way in and see what was there."

I shook my head. "Abner, there are more important things to worry about right now. The Cursed Caverns can wait."

"You're right, of course," Abner acknowledged. "I did find this, though," he added, indicating the large book in his hand.

I looked at the title. "Daemonica Scripta? What is this?"

"You've never heard of it?" Abner sounded incredulous.

I shook my head. "Should I have?"

"The Daemonica Scripta was written back when the gods and daemons battled openly," he explained. "The Guild has many transcribed copies, but all of them are merely fragments of a whole. As close as I can tell, if this isn't an original, it's not far removed from it."

"Interesting, from a scholastic point of view."

"Not just that. It could tell us more about the daemon Xastarte himself. I'd better get back to camp, put this with the rest of my stuff." He looked at me strangely for a moment, then added, "Mind keeping this quiet for now? We don't need to create any more frenzy than we have to at this point."

"Agreed," I replied.

He nodded, and we began the short trek back to the camp area, close to the supply wagon. I suddenly remembered that I'd wanted to ask him something; however, I couldn't quite remember what it was...

Vote Count 1.7

(2) VasudeVa: Me=Weird, Kenman

Not Voting: ReaperCharlie, Chronopie, vIQleS

Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #269 (isolation #19) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:53 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Albert B. Rampage has been prodded.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #285 (isolation #20) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:45 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

It didn't take long for Abner and I to return to the camp site. Finally I remembered what I'd meant to ask him in the first place.

"Shouldn't we bury Xelmas' body?" I inquired. "It seems the right thing to do."

"I know," Abner replied. "But who's going to take the time? People are going into daemon-hunt mode, and when one is fighting for his own survival, little else matters."

"But still," I persisted, "shouldn't we honor those who are victims of this tragedy? Besides, who knows what foul creatures an exposed dead corpse could attract. Gods know I can feel a wrongness about this place."

"It
is
reputedly the resting place of a daemonic artifact," Abner pointed out.

"Speaking of which...did you read any of that book thing yet?"

"The Daemonica Scripta? I've read some from the beginning, but that's about it. What I've read is very intriguing, though. You interested in reading it?"

I folded my arms across my chest. "Maybe."

"Do you know Old Ankartic?"

"Of course. All scribes are required to learn it, in addition to other archaic and recent languages."

"Good." Abner took the book out and handed it to me. "Just remember, I'd rather not have anyone else know about this just yet."

I nodded and put the book in my carrying sack. Suddenly, we heard heavy footsteps approaching the camp site. We turned to look, and we saw Theadora running as fast as she could. Soon she was standing before us, panting slightly.

"We have a problem," she said to Abner. "Xelmas' corpse has disappeared."

Vote Count 1.8

(5) easjo682: UncertainKitten, farside22, Nikanor, Chronopie, Me=Weird
(1) VasudeVa: Kenman

Not Voting: ReaperCharlie, vIQleS

ReaperCharlie has been prodded.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #286 (isolation #21) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:35 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

The deadline is a little more than 24 hours away.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #316 (isolation #22) » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:07 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Less than one hour to the deadline.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #325 (isolation #23) » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:20 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Final Day 1 Vote Count

(7) easjo682: UncertainKitten, farside22, Nikanor, Chronopie, Me=Weird, ReaperCharlie, Albert B. Rampage
(1) VasudeVa: Kenman

Not Voting: vIQleS

A lynch has been achieved. Lynch scene forthcoming...
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #326 (isolation #24) » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:44 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Abner and I looked at Theadora incredulously. "Disappeared?" Abner asked. "Who?"

"I don't know," Theadora replied, "but everyone thinks Ferdinand's responsible, and they're set to kill him!"

"Then let's get back at once," Abner declared. Together the three of us made our way back to the riverside as quickly as possible.

When we got there, we saw Ferdinand forced onto his knees, held there by Hyperion and Marya. The others were clustered nearby, observing our approach.

Abner looked at me. "Be extra sure to record this," he said to me. "We'll need this documentation."

I nodded numbly, taking out my writing utensils. Abner turned back to face the others and asked,

"Why do you want to kill Ferdinand?"

"Because he has to be the murderer!" Hyperion declared. "He practices a dark magic that is barely considered legal by the Guild. After the body went missing, we found him perusing a spellbook...for
necromancy
."

"It wasn't a spellbook!" Ferdinand protested. "It was a theoretical text for how to use necromancy for the good of mankind."

"But necromancy study of any kind is forbidden," Marya pointed out. "You shouldn't have that book in the first place."

"But...but..." Ferdinand sputtered. "Study is good!"

Vastedon belched. "Nope. Necromancy ish
baaaaaaaad
bad bad joojoo, man. Can't have it, dead dead is good thing."

People turned to frown at the drunken sorcerer. "What?" he asked innocently. "Jusht shtating my mind."

People resumed ignoring him. "If he's willing to go into necromancy," stated Marya, "what's stopping him from performing murder?"

"Yeah, he probably wanted the corpse for practicing spells on," Alicia added.

Marya glared at her. "Who asked for your opinion, bitch?"

Fire flared in Alicia's eyes, but before she could retaliate, Abner stepped forward and said, "The evidence sounds damning indeed. Very well." He stared down at Ferdinand. "You shall be hanged!"

Ferdinand's eyes bulged. "No! You can't do this! You can't! I'm innocent!"

Peg produced a length of rope, and a nearby tree was found that would suit our purpose. Ferdinand was led to the makeshift gallows, and the rope was fastened securely around his neck. Hyperion, Marya, and Jules held the other side of the rope, ready to hoist the sorcerer up.

Abner stepped up and looked deep into Ferdinand's eyes. "Any last words?"

"You- you will only be dipping your hands in innocent blood," Ferdinand warned solemnly. "I did not kill Xelmas, nor was I responsible for his body's disappearance."

Abner nodded to the lynchmen, and they pulled on the rope, raising Ferdinand into the air. Ferdinand grasp desperately at the rope, but was unable to loosen the pressure. Air and life slipped away from him in stifled gasps...

Suddenly, Gaston shouted, "Ho! Look at Alicia!"

I turned to look at her, and gasped. She too was grasping at her throat, desperately trying to inhale air.
Oh my gods...

"What's going on?" I demanded to know. "What's happening?"

"Stop the hanging!" Rachella screamed. "He's got a fetish of her!"

As she spoke those words, Alicia's body slumped to the ground and fell silent. Around the same time, Ferdinand's struggles ceased as well. He was lowered to the ground while Peg went to check Alicia's body.

After a few moments of feeling around, he said, "She's dead."

Tears welled up in my eyes, and everyone stood aghast. Even Marya had no cruel words for this moment.

Abner approached, holding a small doll in his hand. "I found this in Ferdinand's robe," he said glumly. "This was how Alicia died. I'll bet there's a fetish-crating kit among Ferdinand's possessions."

Peg held up a strange object shaped like two equilateral triangles joined at the tip. "This was on Alicia's body," he reported. "A Talisman of Protection.

"Let's go through and search the rest of there possessions," Hyperion suggested.

Vastedon glared at him. "You would be deshecrating the dead?"

"No, but we must know if there is any further evidence as to their intentions."

"All right," Abner agreed.

Later, we had searched through the possessions of both Alicia and Ferdinand. Besides the Fetish-Crafting Kit, Ferdinand had little else of interest, and much of Alicia's travel possessions consisted of cosmetics and alternate outfits. Most suspicious of all, though, was that the necromancy book that supposedly damned Ferdinand was nowhere to be found.

"So, he was innocent?" Rachella asked, horror in her eyes.

"Looks that way," Peg stated glumly.

"Alicia seemed innocent as well," I added.

Marya snorted. "I wouldn't say 'innocent'." Her fire had obviously returned, but people were too exhausted to argue with her.

"The sun's about to set," Abner said quietly. "I suggest we all set up our beds and get to sleep. We'll need to be fully refreshed tomorrow."

"So who keeps the items we found?" Gaston wanted to know. "I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not sure I trust anyone to safeguard the items."

"Rather simple, actually." Abner took a small chest from the supply wagon and put it down on the ground. Placing the two items inside, he slammed the lid down and put his hand on it. Then he looked at me.

"Santas, put your hand beside mine, please."

Tentatively I complied with his request.
What is he up to?

Silently he spoke words of magic, and the box began to glow a light blue. His voice grew louder and the box glowed brighter. Suddenly, he jabbed an elbow into my ribs.

"Ow!" I groaned. "What was that for?"

He ignored me and finished his recital. Gradually the glowing box dimmed until it appeared to be an ordinary box again. He stood up and explained,

"This is, of course, a chest with a magic lock. Only Santas' voice can open the lock, and I won't tell him what the open-phrase is until tomorrow morning. That way, none of us will be able to open it until we're ready. Agreed?"

I nodded my head slowly, as did the others. "Good," Abner stated, "then let's get some rest."

Everyone went to where they'd placed their bedrolls. I had placed mine near the supply wagon, and I unrolled it and, after stripping my clothing off, crawled inside.

The sun had just set, and darkness fell over the land. My mind refused to rest, continually traversing the day's events over and over, the horror of it all sinking further into my soul. There was also no small worry over whether one or more of us would be dead by morning, and of course there was still that bloody cave to fret about...

Worried to exhaustion, I finally fell asleep.

easjo682, Ferdinand Kepples,
Guild Sorcerer
, was lynched on Day 1.
UncertainKitten, Alicia Tabbernathy,
Guild Sorceress
, was magically strangled on Day 1.

The
Fetish-Crafting Kit (IC: 3)
and the
Talisman of Protection (IC: 3)
have been dropped. These items will be available to grab at the start of Day 2.

Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #327 (isolation #25) » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:00 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

From

4f. The mod will not publicly reveal who received the item.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #328 (isolation #26) » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:01 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Night 1 is now over. Day 2 will dawn once I resolve actions.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #329 (isolation #27) » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:39 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

I woke up slowly, pulling the sheets of my bedroll around my shoulders to fight off the frigid wind that arrived with the morning. The fifth rays of dawn were peeking over the horizon, casting an orange light on the land. Elongated shadows from the trees lent a certain gloom to the scene. Of course, the Cursed Caverns were still high on my worry list. Who's to know that some gods-forsaken creature didn't emerge to do away with one of our party? Or that one of our party hadn't done the same...

Great. Now I couldn't get myself to fall back asleep. No one else was stirring yet, however, at least that I could see. Perhaps I should read a bit from the Daemonica Scritpa...

Reaching for my bag, I carefully took out the ancient book and opened it to the first page. The pages were incredibly stiff, but the words were clear as day...

1In the beginning were the gods, and immortal were they. 2Many gods there were, and created the word did they. 3At this beginning exist did these gods: Aktar, Razirung, Maltle...

I basically skimmed the next few pages of text, but noted with intrigue that Xastarte was originally known as a god. The religious theory of current times held that Xastarte had been a demon of some sort.

51After created the world was, squabble did the gods, on how this world ruled was to be. A schism was created amongst the gods; in favor of harmonious nonintervention the majority was, while amongst the minority direct control they desired. 52Caused a war this schism did. Alas, the majority, the gods they still called themselves, were beaten by the minority, who the name daemons they took, as per their leader, Xastarte, to illustrate their creed. 53Give intelligence the daemons did to animals known as humans...

I stared in shock. How could this be accurate? It was always said that the gods gave man knowledge. Was this even an honest book at all?

Hearing footsteps nearby, I replaced the Daemonica Scritpa into my bag and extricated myself from the bedroll. My stomach was growling, and I need refreshments.

As I made my way to the supply cart, I noticed everyone else heading that way as well. Soon everyone was munching on traveler's bread (we also had some meat, but we wanted to preserve that for more special occasions), and Vastedon went straight for the wine.

"Don't you ever stop being a glutton, Vastedon?" queried Marya dully.

"Nuh uh." Vastedon wobbled about wearily. "Vastedon the hungry purple dinosaur, I am. Consume things, I will!" Then he toppled to the ground.

How exactly does this guy never seem to get a hangover?

Abner came up beside me. "Good news is, nobody died last night. We're all still here."

"That is good news," I replied. "It's too bad we had to lose both Ferdinand and Alicia--"

"Dear gods!" Jonqin exclaimed. "Look! It's Ferdinand!"

I turned amid a chorus of surprise and utter chaos. Sure enough, Ferdinand was stumbling up to the supply cart, knees barely seeming to support him. Hyperion and Gaston immediately ran to support the formerly-dead man.

"What happened?" Theadora asked.

"Ahh...daanno," Ferdinand said slowly, his words heavily slurred. "Ahh...gahht...rahsurrrretted. Feeeeeelll...sooo waaaik..."

"Get him some food," Abner declared. "Get the man back up to speed!"

"And wine!" Rachella added emphatically. "Get those spirits up!"

Peg frowned at her. "Wine not be good for the living, probably less so for the dead."

Rachella crossed her arms. "You ever been dead? How would you know?"

Some time later, Jules asked, "So...how do we decide who gets the items in the box?"

"Simple," Abner declared. "Santas decides who is worthy of receiving those items."

"Why him?" Jules persisted.

"Because he's the only person I trust, and I highly doubt that he has the magical training or the physical strength to kill Xelmas, let alone full-fledged sorcerers."

Everyone nodded in agreement. Of course, I knew that this would make me a target, but Abner was right on all counts. It was time to play a more direct role.

"All right, then, everyone," said I. "Explain to me why I should give you an item..."

Ferdinand Kepples (easjo682),
Guild Sorcerer
, has been revived on Night 1. For the next two phases, he has a post-restriction of 100 words or less per post and he will be unable to perform any actions.

The
and the
Talisman of Protection (IC: 3)
are available for grabbing.

Remember, if you wish to sleep you must PM me before you submit an action or make a post.

Day 2 has begun.

Players Sleeping

Albert B Rampage (2:10 p.m. on June 12th)
Chronopie (3:40 p.m. on June 12th)

Vote Count 2.0

Not Voting: vIQleS, easjo682, Nikanor, VasudeVa, farside22, Kenman, ReaperCharlie, Me=Weird, Pittbunny

With 11 players alive and 2 asleep, it takes 5 votes to lynch.
Deadline is Tuesday, June 15th, 2010 at 2:00 p.m.
Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 10 times in total.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #332 (isolation #28) » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:53 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

The countdown timer has begun for the
Fetish-Crafting Kit
. Once the timer runs out, the mod will decide via randomization who will receive the item. This timer will not be made public.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #334 (isolation #29) » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:13 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Albert B. Rampage (Jules Wescott)
has gone to sleep. He will not wake up until Saturday, June 12th at 2:10 p.m.

(Now that someone is sleeping, the previous vote count will be updated with a Players Sleeping list. All future vote counts will also include this list until no players are sleeping.)

Additionally, the Ruleset has been modified.

From
Article V: Voting

4. If players are asleep during the day cycle, they will be out of the game for vote count purposes. Thus, the number of votes it takes to lynch may decrease because of this.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #338 (isolation #30) » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:44 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

The countdown timer on the
Talisman of Protection
has begun.

Also,
Chronopie (Marya Torr)
has gone to sleep. She will not wake up until Saturday, June 12th at 3:40 p.m.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #357 (isolation #31) » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:09 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

"I think I should have it, because I'm a good person," Rachella declared. "If I get those items I'll use them for the good of the party."

Theadora rolled her eyes. "How exactly are we supposed to trust you on that one? You don't have a great record in the trust department. Plus there
was
that incident in the vicar's chamber..."

"Hey, it was an accident!" Rachella protested. "I didn't know it was a swamp gas spell!"

"Why don't we just roll some dice?" Jonqin suggested. "Absolute fairness, leaving things in the hands of the gods."

Gaston snorted. "Who the daemon would use such a stupid method as random chance?" he asked with contempt. "Besides, we aren't looking for fairness, we're looking for what's best."

On and on people argued, as I stood silently and scribed in my book...

Players Sleeping

Albert B. Rampage (2:10 p.m. on June 12th)

Vote Count 2.1

(1) Chronopie: Kenman

Not Voting: vIQleS, easjo682, Nikanor, VasudeVa, farside22, ReaperCharlie, Me=Weird, Pittbunny

SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #369 (isolation #32) » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:17 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Finally, after a good bit of debate, I made my decision.

"
smear
shall receive the Fetish-Crafting Kit, and
smudge
shall receive the Talisman of Protection. Abner, how do we open this thing?"

Abner came up to me and whispered the secret password into my ear. I went up to the wooden box and quietly repeated what Abner had told me. After a small
pop
I opened up the box, removed the items, and handed them to their new masters.

"So, I guess that means we return to finding murderers, doesn't it?" I said to Abner.

He nodded. "Just remember to get those words written down."

The
Fetish-Crafting Kit
and the
Talisman of Protection
are no longer available for grabbing.
Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #372 (isolation #33) » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:25 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

The deadline for submitting sleep actions was one hour ago. No further sleep actions will be accepted during this phase.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #376 (isolation #34) » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:58 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

"Hey, everyone," Peg said loudly. "I need to say something. Someone tried to kill me last night."

Gasps filled the air. "Who, man, who?" Hyperion demanded to know.

"I didn't get a glimpse of the assailant," Peg responded, "but someone is definitely out to kill us."

Gaston frowned. "Why didn't you tell us this earlier?"

"Oh, in between the item-grabbing and Ferdinand's resurrection? I'm sorry I couldn't find the time to mention this."

"So, why did someone try to kill you, exactly?" Rachella wanted to know.

"The daemon should I know?" Peg frowned. "I don't read minds."

"You sure?"

"Oh, shut up, already," complained Theadora. "At least
try
to be useful to us."

"Hey!" Rachella thrust her hands on her hips. "I
am
trying! I've always been trying my best!"

"That's the problem."

Nearby, Marya hollered, "Would you jackasses
please
shut up? I'm trying to get some godsdamn sleep here!"

"Why don't we move away from the camp site and carry on our discussions," Abner suggested. Slowly people began to disperse over the nearby area...

Players Sleeping

Vote Count 2.2

(2) Albert B. Rampage: ReaperCharlie, easjo682
(1) Nikanor: VasudeVa

Not Voting: vIQleS, Nikanor, farside22, Me=Weird, Pittbunny

Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #399 (isolation #35) » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:58 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

From
Article IX: Miscellaneous

6. Flavor is simply flavor. Speculate things about it at your own peril.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #400 (isolation #36) » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:59 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

I followed slightly behind a group consisting of Rachella, Hyperion, and Ferdinand, leaning on Hyperion's shoulder. We were heading in the direction of the nearby forest.

"There's something I don't quite understand, though," Rachella was saying. "People kept bringing up this necromancy book you were supposed to have, Ferdinand, but when we searched your stuff we weren't able to find it. So what the daemon happened to it?" A thoughtful look came into her eyes. "Hey, what if you used that necromancy book to raise yourself from the dead?"

Ferdinand stared at her incredulously. "Ahre you sehriyous?"

"He was dead, stupid," Hyperion pointed out. "How in the name of hot sex do you bring yourself back to life
after
you're dead?"

"Supernaturally!" Rachella exclaimed. "You know, I had this dream once about some random person who got nailed to a tree and died, and three days later brought himself back to life..."

"You aren't on illicit narcotics again, are you?" Hyperion inquired bluntly.

"Hey!" Rachella protested. "I've been clean for quite some time now, thank you very much."

"Wehll," Ferdinand remarked, "sahmtimes weh wohnder..."

We came to a stop just outside the forest's edge and sat down, but now the thought of the missing necromancy book was running through my head.
Thanks a lot, Rachella...

Players Sleeping

Vote Count 2.3

(4) Albert B. Rampage: ReaperCharlie, easjo682, Me=Weird, VasudeVa

Not Voting: vIQleS, Nikanor, farside22

Additionally, I would like to request that if you have a question about something, please check the ruleset first to make sure I haven't already provided an answer there. I wrote all those rules out for a reason. It's in your best interests to be familiar with them.
Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #409 (isolation #37) » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:45 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Final Vote Count Day 2

(5) Albert B. Rampage: ReaperCharlie, easjo682, Me=Weird, VasudeVa, Kenman

Not Voting: vIQleS, Nikanor, farside22

SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #410 (isolation #38) » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:28 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

We hadn't been there long before Ferdinand stated weakly, "Ah nehd sahmthin' tah eaht. Leht's gah bahck."

"Hey, we just got here," Rachella protested, her lips in a pout. "I want to stay here for awhile."

"You can do that," Hyperion stated, helping Ferdinand to his feet. "The rest of us will be gentlemen and help the recovering man."

Rachella looked at me. "I suppose you're gonna leave me, too?"

I shrugged and got up to follow Hyperion and Ferdinand. "Well, then!" Rachella exclaimed. "You go back and have your food! I shall be brave and stay here!"

"Whatever," Hyperion mumbled under his breath.

When we got back to the camp, however, we encountered a peculiar and foreboding sight: a length of rope had been thrown around the branch of one of the two nearby trees, with Gaston and Theadora holding one end of the rope, and the other end being fastened around the neck of Jules Wescott.

"Hey, Hyperion!" Gaston called. "Come help us with this!"

"Sure." Hyperion gently allowed Ferdinand to stand on his own two feet, then went and joined Gaston and Theadora on the hoisting side of the rope.

"Asinine, deluded fools!" Jules screamed. "You're hanging a man on the whims of a dream--"

Abner held up his hand. "And you of all people, with your studies, should know better than to dismiss the importance of dreams." He nodded to the hangmen. "Hoist him!"

Gaston, Theadora, and Hyperion heaved, and Jules was yanked up into the air, fighting for his every breath. As he suffocate I slid alongside Abner.

"So, what'd he do?" I inquired.

"Started talking in his sleep," Abner replied. "Started saying things like how it wasn't so bad that Alicia died, and how Ferdinand wasn't that important of a guy, any."

I gaped at him. "And this warrants death, how?"

Abner suddenly shook his head and looked at me. "Huh? What's going on?"

"Jules!" I screamed, pointing at the dying man. "You're hanging Jules! Stop it!"

Abner looked up. "By the gods! Let him down, guys, let him down!"

Confused, the three lowered Jules to the ground; it had already stopped moving, however, and a short wait indicated that movement wasn't likely going to happen.

Jules was dead.

"What the daemon were you guys
doing
?" I hissed to Abner.

"I- I don't know," Abner mumbled. "In fact, I can't recall anything that happened after you handed off items this morning."

"So what, some kind of mind-altering spell?"

"Don't know what else it could be."

The others began approaching us. "Dear gods, what have we done?" Theadora whispered. "What's happening to us?"

"Hey guys!" Rachella ran up to my side and stopped, panting heavily. "I, um, got bored with being by myself. So, what's happened?" Then she noticed the corpse. "What the daemon?"

"Something weird is going on here," Abner stated flatly. "All right, let's check Jules' stuff and see if, by some miracle, there is any indication he was a renegade."

As I'd expected, our search turned up nothing incriminating. We did find a Book of Spells in his possession, however.

"All right, we go through the same process as before," Abner said, bringing over the magic chest. We went through the same ritual as last night, and the Book of Spells was sealed away. By now, the last rays of light were vanishing from the air.

"Everyone, get to bed and get some godsdamned sleep," I said sternly, heading for my own bedroll. For an operation that was supposed to be smooth and easy money, things kept taking a steady turn for the worse, and I wasn't liking it at all...

Albert B. Rampage, Jules Wescott,
Guild Sorcerer
, was lynched on Day 2.

The
Book of Spells (IC: 3)
has been dropped. It will be available to grab at the start of Day 3.

Night 2 has begun. Deadline is on Sunday, June 13th, 2010 at 10:00 p.m.

Also, since vIQleS has not posted for two consecutive phases, I'm going to prod him.
Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #411 (isolation #39) » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:57 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

I am currently searching for a replacement for vIQleS. The night deadline may be extended slightly because of this. (If vIQleS returns my PM before I find a replacement, he can keep his spot.)
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #412 (isolation #40) » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:15 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

havingfitz replaces vIQleS effective immediately. Because of this, the night deadline will be extended by 36 hours.

Edit: It seems we're moving to the Shelter Forum today. I'll extend the deadline according to however long our time in the Shelter Forum surpasses the original deadline.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #413 (isolation #41) » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:07 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Ok, so in case you haven't heard yet game mods have to go through an admin to unlock their threads. I decided to simply leave it unlocked and trust that you guys are honorable enough to know not to post during the night. Just in case some of you aren't that honorable/intelligent, anyone who posts in here before I say so will be modkilled. Without exception. Until the lock/unlock stuff gets resolved, the following rule will be in effect:

Special Rule

When you guys make a lynch, I will post the final vote count and announce an incoming lynch scene and that everyone should stop talking. From that point on, everyone should stop talking, period. Once I post the lynch scene, all posting should have stopped.
Anyone
who posts after a lynch scene during the night will be modkilled. Without exception.

Anyway, the final Night 2 deadline is Thursday, June 17th, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. This should give people enough time to get on the new site and whatever else they need to do. See y'all then.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #414 (isolation #42) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:37 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Derp, silly me forgot that I changed the deadline from 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m....

Anyway, Night 2 is now over. Day will break once I resolve night actions.

(You're still not allowed to post.)
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #415 (isolation #43) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:56 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

I tossed and turned fitfully all night, trying vainly to procure some sleep. Alas, it eluded me, like a dancing nymph leaping gaily amongst the trees. Try as I might, I could not catch that damn nymph.

Finally, the rays of dawn started to attack the land, and I gave up on sleep altogether. Now that I could see what I was doing, I figured I might as well read a little more from the Daemonica Scripta. Looking around quickly to ensure I was alone, I pulled out the book from my pack and read on.

109Having established on this world a dominion, satisfied Xastarte was not. Turn his thoughts he did towards the other realm, where abode did the gods. And supremacy did Xastarte desire. 110Convince the other daemon Xastarte did that defeated the gods needed to be, and then masters of everything the daemons would be. 111Much agreement there was amongst the daemons. Disagree some did, and destroy them the others did, until once again united under one banner the daemons were.

Yet again a seemingly major event that no one seemed to be aware of. Normally I would have entirely written it off as a hoax, but the age of the book suggested that it appeared long before the first Book of the Gods ever did. I read on.

134And as the daemons waged war with the gods, sneak onto the world did a party of gods; Elshar, Belinde, and Macatar their names were. 135Capture a daemon these gods did, and instruct humans on how to use a daemon's body to channel his daemonic powers they did. So created the first sorcerers were. 136Weak the captured daemon was, and so too the sorcerer's magic was...

I paused, shocked by what I was reading. Not only did daemons give intelligence to mankind, but daemons were the reason behind human sorcery in the first place? It was unbelievable.

And then it hit me:
If magic is drawn from a daemon's body, then the Guild must be using imprisoned daemons to empower their sorcerers...
Which, of course, was something
no
non-sorcerer had ever even heard of...

I put the book away and stood up. I needed to talk with Abner about this. Everything I thought I knew about the world was being turned on it's head...

Suddenly, I heard a shrill scream. "Get down here, fast!" Rachella hollered. "Hyperion's been murdered!"

Hyperion murdered?
I bolted in the direction of Hyperion's bedroll, my sudden revelations pushed into the back of my mind.

By the time I reached Hyperion's bedroll, the others had already gathered around. I could plainly see Hyperion's corpse, with a massive gash on the throat, dark crimson blood soaked into his navy blue robe.

"Dammit," Theadora muttered. "I guess we were merely fortunate last night had no murders."

Jonqin nodded. "I found this among his possessions, though," he added, holding up a thick book. The faded words on the cover read "Encyclopedia Daemonica".

"Give it to Santas, please," Abner told Jonqin. "He keeps all the items until he decides who should have them."

Jonqin nodded and handed the Encyclopedia Daemonica to me. It was quite heavy.

"Let's get straight to business, then," Abner declared. "Santas, you decide who gets the Encyclopedia Daemonica and the Book of Spells, and then we'll get on with figuring out just what is going on here."

I nodded numbly.
Rest in peace, Hyperion. Your experience shall be missed...

ReaperCharlie, Hyperion Maci,
Guild Sorcerer
, had his throat slit on Night 2.

The
and the
Encyclopedia Daemonica (IC: 4)
are now available to grab.

It is now Day 3. You may now post in the thread.

Kenman (Gaston Hartley)
and
VasudeVa (Theadora Lye)
told me they would not be available to submit sleep actions within the 24-hour window, so I allowed them to send me sleep actions for Day 3 during Night 2. They will wake up on Sunday, June 20th at 12:00 p.m. CST. This pre-submission is an exception, however, and not a rule.

Players Sleeping

Kenman (June 20th at 12:00 p.m. CST)
VasudeVa (June 20th at 12:00 p.m. CST)

Vote Count 3.0

Not Voting: Pittbunny, farside22, easjo682, Nikanor, Chronopie, havingfitz, Me=Weird

With 9 players alive and 2 players sleeping, it takes 4 votes to lynch.
Deadline is Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010 at 12:00 p.m. CST.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #422 (isolation #44) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:56 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Fred Garvin wrote:
Grab: Encyclopedia Daemonica (IC: 4)

If not available, then:

Grab: Book of Spells (IC: 3)
Who the hell are you, and why are you posting in a game that you aren't currently playing in? :evil:

Just kidding, I saw your EBWOP, fitz.

The countdown timer for both the
and the
has begun.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #425 (isolation #45) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:59 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Pittbunny wrote:
@Mod: For curiosity's sake, is the frequency of our roles showing up in the flavor text dependent on how often we post/are talked about ingame?
Characters showing up in flavor text depend entirely on what I can think up. However, I try to include all of you in the flavor at least once per game day.

*less posting frequency/absence can lead to less consideration for inclusion in a flavor scene, however.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #428 (isolation #46) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:43 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

farside22 has informed me that she'll be away from Mafiascum for at least five days. Unfortunately, with the short days this is a bit too long, so I'll be looking for someone to replace her. If farside22 comes back before I replace her, she can keep her slot.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #432 (isolation #47) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:06 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

havingfitz wrote:
Mod...are items stolen able to be used first or does a steal prevent the item from being used by it’s original owner? Pardon if the answer has already been provided
Questions to the mod that speculate about things that may or may not exist in the game will not be entertained.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #434 (isolation #48) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:05 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Once more I made my decision. "
splotch
shall have the Book of Spells, and
blob
shall have the Encyclopedia Daemonica," I said.

I went back up and unlocked the chest, and gave the two items to their respective new owners.

"All right, then," Abner declared, "first we need to try and figure out what the daemon happened yesterday. Surely that was no simple delirium that came over our minds..."

The
and the
have been picked up.

Players Sleeping

Kenman (June 20th at 12:00 p.m. CST)
VasudeVa (June 20th at 12:00 p.m. CST)

Vote Count 3.1

(1) VasudeVa: Pittbunny

Not Voting: farside22, easjo682, Nikanor, Chronopie, havingfitz, Me=Weird

With 9 players alive and 2 players sleeping, it takes 4 votes to lynch.

Edit: Damn, seems that the spoiler color is not the same as the text color. :P
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #436 (isolation #49) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:23 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

As I moved among the sorcerers debating over how yesterday's debacle had occurred I stubbed my toe on something. Looking down, I saw that a small amulet was lying on the ground. Curious, I picked it up and studied it. It was shaped like two equilateral triangles, joined together at the tip.

Rachella looked over my shoulder. "Whatcha got there?"

I shrugged and showed it to her. "Know what this is?"

A light came into her eyes. "I- I think I do. Or should. I can't remember, dammit!"

"It's the Amulet of Gatos." Jonqin strode up to us. By now the others were looking in our direction. "Where'd you find it?"

"On the ground," I replied, holding it up. "Anybody want it?"

The
Amulet of Gatos (IC: 2)
has been dropped. It is now available for grabbing.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #438 (isolation #50) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:41 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

The countdown timer for the
Amulet of Gatos (IC: 2)
has begun.
Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #446 (isolation #51) » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:50 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Not going to be on Mafiascum much today, so don't expect uber micromanagement.

Not that there's a lot of posting anyway...
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #448 (isolation #52) » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:58 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

The
Amulet of Gatos
has been grabbed. Sorry for lack of flavor, but I don't have time to do it right now.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #463 (isolation #53) » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:29 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

The countdown for the
Psykus Daemonica
and the
Book of Spells
began yesterday night. Farside has returned, so she won't be replaced.

Still not going to be around much today.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #469 (isolation #54) » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:01 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

It was so strange, all these items being mysteriously found lying on the ground. As the appointed 'item-distributor', I decided who should receive the most recently dropped items and went back to my scribing.

"It's so odd, isn't it?" Rachella said to me quietly. "Perhaps this is a distraction by the killers!"

Marya rolled her eyes. "Do you ever bring your head out of the clouds, girl?"

"Hey!" Rachella jammed her hands onto her hips. "Strange things have been happening as of late. Why is it wrong to speculate about things that are quite plausible?"

"Because the things you speculate about are never plausible," Marya remarked. "I swear, sometimes you're as bad as Alicia was."

"And you think you're the queen bitch of the universe!"

I watched as the two women glared at each other icily, unsure of what to do. Thankfully a voice said,

"Hey, break it up, you two. We don't need a cat-fight on our hands." It was Peg.

"Where've you been?" Marya inquired. "Haven't seen you around the camp for awhile."

Peg glared. "Taking a piss."

Nearby, I noticed Gaston stirring from his bedrolls, and in the distance I could see Theadora awakening as well...

The
Pyskus Daemonica
and the
Book of Spells
have been picked up.
Gaston Hartley (Kenman)
and
Theadora Lye (VasudeVa)
are awake, and may now post and submit actions.

Vote Count 3.2

(2) Pittbunny: Nikanor, Nikanor

Not Voting: farside22, easjo682, Chronopie, havingfitz, Me=Weird

With 9 players alive and no players sleeping, it takes 5 votes to lynch.

You are reminded that the deadline is less than two days away.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #481 (isolation #55) » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:18 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

After a while I excused myself to go have a drink from the river. Thoughts raced through my head all the way down to the riverside. What was the meaning of all those dropped items? And ever since the day began I could feel an ominous sensation inside my mind, as if some terrible event was preparing to happen...

I knelt close on the river bank and scooped some water into my mouth. Immediately I spat it out in disgust. It tasted like sulfur.

And then I remembered what I'd wanted to ask Abner.
Was it really possible that enslaved daemons are truly the reason behind the might of the sorcerers?
Dark thoughts clouded my mind. I had come for the money, dammit, and now I felt thrust upon a stage where nothing was scripted. Anything could happen.

I stood up and strode back to the camp. The sooner I found some answers, the better. Or so I hoped...

Vote Count 3.3

(2) Me=Weird: VasudeVa, havingfitz
(2) Pittbunny: Nikanor, Nikanor

Not Voting: farside22, easjo682, Chronopie, Me=Weird, Kenman

Kenman, easjo682, farside22, and Me=Weird have been prodded. If they don't respond within 24 hours I will look for their replacements.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #485 (isolation #56) » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:48 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Final Day 3 Vote Count

(5) Me=Weird: VasudeVa, havingfitz, Nikanor, Nikanor, Kenman

Not Voting: farside22, easjo682, Chronopie, Me=Weird

Also, the Special Rule is rescinded now that I can lock/unlock this thread normally again.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #486 (isolation #57) » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:23 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

When I returned to the camp site, however, a shocking scene was unfolding before my eyes. Gathered around that same old tree that was utilized for lynching Jules were the other sorcerers. Standing underneath the tree was Abner, with Ferdinand and Marya pinioning his arms. Meanwhile, Peg was fastening a noose around Abner's neck.

The closest person to me was Vastedon. I darted up to him and asked, "What's going on here?"

"He's guilty," Vastedon replied. "We found the damn necromancy book that'd gone missing. Abner was reading it just inside the mouth of the cave. No way he's an innocent man. Nuh unh."

My heart began to sink.
Abner...guilty? How could this be?

Abner glanced up at me, a wild look in his eyes. "Santas!" he yelled. "They've gone mad! I've done nothing wrong, you
must
stop them."

"Silence, liar!" Jonqin hissed. "There is no delirium over us. We know you're guilty."

"And probably a killer, too," Rachella added.

"Then where's the damned knife?" Abner glared violently. "You didn't find a weapon in my stuff, so how am I a murderer?"

"We'll search for where you hid it later, worm," Peg growled. "Right now, you die!"

"Don't do it! I'm your leader, dammit, stop this insanity right now!" Abner stared at me desperately. "Santas, my friend, don't let them do this!"

I stood frozen and chilled, as if encased in ice. Abner, working with necromancy? This sounded nothing like the Abner I knew. But everyone else was in agreement, and they did not have the same deadbeat appearance they had yesterday. Yet Abner was my friend...

"Agh!" The rope was cinched tight around Abner's neck. Meanwhile, Theadora, Jonqin, Vastedon, and Gaston went to grab the other end of the rope. Ferdinand stepped back and looked at their soon-to-be-fallen leader.

"Any last words?" he inquired tersely.

Without warning, a fiery red glow came into Abner's eyes. "You do not know what you are dealing with, mortal," he warned with guttural growl that seemed to come from a daemon itself. "You may have stopped Xastarte's plans for now, but he will ensure that you pay severely for this travesty!" He glared at the sorcerers and myself. "
All
of you!"

His eyes rolled into the back of his head and a strange tongue that I had never heard before began uttering words.
What the daemon is going on?

"Quick, string him up!" Rachella hollered. "Before he does something!"

Suddenly, Abner flung his arms out, with a violence forceful enough to send Gaston and Marya hurtling to the ground. The lynchers pulled hard on the rope, but it proved unnecessary: Abner began to rise above the ground without the rope's assistance. His back arched, his outstretched limbs reached backwards, his head flung back, and an inhuman howl emitted from his throat. The noise was deafening, and everyone jammed their hands over their ears in an attempt to abate the horrid noise, but it was no use. A few of the sorcerers tried to scream commands to each other, but the howl drowned out all other noises. At last the insufferable cry ceased to be, and Abner's body exploded in a shower of blood, flesh, guts, bones, and bits of robe, coating everyone in a litany of gore.

"Ugh!" Theadora grunted, picking off bits of stringy ligaments off of her body. "That was disgusting!"

I nodded in agreement as I picked off a hunk of skin that had landed on my face.

"This worries me," Marya remarked slowly, ignoring the gore splattered on her body. "This doesn't seem to be the type of spell you activate just to humiliate your enemies. What's his game, here?"

"And then there's his last words," Gaston added. "It...it seemed as though he were serving Xastarte himself."

"But that's impossible!" Jonqin protested. "Xastarte was defeated permanently in the final Daemon War. There's no way Abner could've been his servant!"

Unless...
My eyes widened. The Daemonica Scripta! If it held the true account of what happened, then maybe it also told of the true fate of Xastarte, if it differed from the original version. But should I mention this to the others yet? After all,
Abner
gave me that book...

"In any event, Abner was clearly stalling for time," said Ferdinand. "I vote we move into the Cursed Cavern, retrieve the Eye of Xastarte, and get back to the Sorcerer's Tower."

"No! We should just get the daemon out of here!" Rachella urged us. "Who gives a damn about the Eye if we're all gonna be slaughtered!"

Marya glared at her. "Coward!" she spat. "If we just give up now without finding the Eye, everyone would've died in--"

Without warning, the ground began to tremble violently. Rachella and Peg stuttered and fell onto the ground; the rest of us kept our footing.

"What's that?" Vastedon wanted to know.

"Oh, gods!" Peg pointed toward the river. "Look! Imps!"

I did so, and what I saw brought fear into my heart. Clawing their way out of the ground were pink-skinned, red-eyed creatures with claws that appeared sharper than the edge of a sword. One of them opened its mouth, revealing pointy rows of teeth, and uttered the same horrid howl that came from Abner earlier. It didn't take a telepath to figure out what they were going to do to us...

"Quick, everybody, run for the road!" Ferdinand shouted. "Grab what you can! We need to try and get the daemon away from here before those imps get us!"

"No good!" Theadora responded. "They're coming from the road, too!"

"They're surrounding us!" Rachella wailed. "Oh, gods, oh gods gods gods! Help us!"

After glancing all around, I espied that we were indeed surrounded by these creatures. With one exception...

"What about the cave?" I yelled. "There's nothing up there!"

"No good!" Jonqin replied. "They're probably herding us up there!"

"Does it matter?" Marya shouted. "If we stay here we're going to die! Our only chance is to get to cover!"

Jonqin nodded. "Everyone, get to the Cursed Cavern! Grab your bags and hurry!"

Everyone began scrambling madly for their stuff. En route to my bedroll I tripped over something and did a faceplant on the turf. Looking back, I saw Abner's traveling pack. I hastily grabbed it--thankfully it was light--and made it over to where my stuff was. After securing my own bag, I made a mad dash for the cave entrance. Behind us, the imps that were out of the ground were racing in our direction.

I was the first person to reach the cave, and soon the others arrived as well. Despite the panic and adrenaline racing through my body, I could still feel the dark foreboding from the cave that I'd felt earlier. The trembling in the ground grew even more intense, and suddenly rocks began falling from the ceiling of the cave, near the mouth.

"Get back!" Gaston hollered. Most of us began putting distance between ourselves and the cave mouth, but Rachella just stood there, frozen in fear, as more rocks fell around her. Quickly I rushed up and grabbed her arm, dragging her away from the impending collapse. Suddenly, massive boulders fell and jarred the ground so heavily that Rachella and I were thrust onto the ground. Instinctively I scrambled onto her back, trying to shield her body from the stones. I was hit by several of them, and I grunted in pain.

Finally the rocks stopped falling and the ground stopped trembling. It was pitch black inside the cavern. "Are you okay?" I whispered into Rachella's ear, and then wondered why I had whispered.

"Yes," she whispered back. I rolled off of her back just as Theadora activated a simple light spell. The interior was illuminated, and I could see that the entrance had completely caved in.

"Oh no..." Rachella's voice trembled. "What are we going to do now?"

"We need a plan," Marya answered firmly. She then spotted Abner's bag and added, "And we need the items from that bag."

I shook my head. "No. I keep them until tomorrow. We still don't know for sure that Abner was responsible for the murders."

"And who are
you
to make the decisions?" She sneered. "You
were
Abner's friend, after all."

"And I didn't interfere when we lynched him, didn't I?" I pushed myself to my feet. "I can't use any of these items. Therefore you know I won't use them against one of us. You can certainly forcibly take them from me, but until we get an idea about what's happening, I'll keep the items."

I held my hand down to Rachella and pulled her up. She seemed to have lost the panic that had paralyzed her earlier. "I- I trust him," she said firmly. The others nodded in agreement with her sentiment.

"Fine, then," Marya conceded. "Then we should get some rest. When we wake up, we'll descend further into the cave and try to find a way out."

"Sounds good," Gaston said, as well as other people.

As people found various places to lie down and sleep, I sat up against the cave wall, brooding. This was definitely not an ideal situation to be in, and now my life was very likely about to be snuffed out.
If I had to do it over again...
But of course, I couldn't.

I heard someone sit next to me. I looked and saw Rachella. "I- I don't feel comfortable," she said to me. "Can I stay by you tonight?"

"Why not the others?" I asked. "They have spells, and I'm no fighter if someone comes for you."

She gave me an intense look. "Because you're the only one that respects me," she answered quietly. "And you risked your life to save mine. You're the only one I truly trust."

I nodded. "Fair enough."

Marya gave a notice that she was about to shut off the light, and a few moments later, she did so. And thus we were left to wonder if we'd be alive come tomorrow morning...

Me=Weird, Abner Jayworthy,
Servant of Xastarte
, was detonated magically (lynched) on Day 3.

The
Burlap Bag (IC: 0)
has been dropped. It will be available to grab at the start of Day 4.

SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #487 (isolation #58) » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:53 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

easjo682 has not responded to her prod, so I'll be looking for her replacement. The night deadline may be extended because of this.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #488 (isolation #59) » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:17 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

I am extending the deadline until Saturday, June 26th, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. CST (24 hours from now) to find an easjo682 replacement. If I don't find one by the end of this new deadline, I will break the game into day.

Meanwhile, some flavor to tithe you over.

For a while, the two of us sat in utter silence; I figured she was going to sleep.

Then Rachella whispered to me, "You know, you never did tell us why you're here."

"I did, actually," I replied. "I'm the official scribe for this expe-"

"That's not what I meant. Why did you join the expedition in the first place?"

I sighed. This was hardly a pleasant topic at the moment. "Abner and I ran into each other in a tavern. He needed a scribe, I needed money, and we were old friends. It just...seemed to work out." I stared mutely into the blackness surrounding me. "Only it's not working out, godsdamn it! People are dying every day, and it turns out that the man I thought I knew was the servant of some...daemonic cult. And he was planning on betraying us all! Betraying
me
..."

"This isn't your first brush with treachery, is it?"

I started. "What do you mean?"

"I can hear it in your voice," Rachella said quietly. "The vengeance laden in your voice, straining to be unleashed." I felt her hand on my shoulder. "And the same deadness that comes from being desensitized..."

"I don't want to talk about it," I grumbled, my muscles growing tense.

"It was a woman, wasn't it?" Her hand crawled across my backside, and soon her arm was around my shoulders. "A treachery borne by love, bearing the fruit of discontent-"

I pulled away from her. "Stop it."

"You can't carry hatred in you forever. You must either let it go, or it will destroy you."

"Whatever." I lay down on the floor and turned my back away from Rachella. Thoughts of
her
spun through my mind, tormenting me incessantly. Her treason tore through my soul once more, and my anger welled in me more strongly than ever before.
Thanks a lot, Rachella.

It was a long while before I managed to fall asleep.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #489 (isolation #60) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:25 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

I'm going to be making a long drive today. Deadline is still at 5:00 p.m. CST, but I may not break day until later than that. Just letting you know.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #490 (isolation #61) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:29 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

All right, Night 3 is finally over. Resolving actions now.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #491 (isolation #62) » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:46 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

I opened my eyes. It was still dark. A warm pressure was being applied to my back. I reached behind me to feel what it was, and felt a body next to mine. Probably Rachella, then.

Suddenly, a terrible thought came to me: was she dead? Then I shook my head mentally.
Of course not; her body's still warm.

"Oh, so you're awake?"

I rolled over to face Rachella. She had a low-level light spell activated, and I could see her blonde tresses fall across her face. She was smiling at me. She looked quite pretty right now.

"Sleep well?" she inquired.

"Um, yeah- well, about as well as one can expect." I brushed a lock of hair away from her eyes. "You?"

She nodded. "You don't snore. That makes it a lot easier."

I chuckled. "Good. Should we wake up the others yet?"

"Nah." She put her arms around me and pulled me closer. "They can wait for awhile. I had an idea for something we can do, first."

It didn't take a genius to figure out what she meant. I almost began to protest, say that now was not the best time. But then it hit me: we were all likely going to die in short order. Sex was a great way to relieve the angst of impending doom. And the girl holding me was certainly quite beautiful.

I slid my arms around her and brought my face close to hers. She closed her eyes, and I did as well. Slowly our lips came closer together...

"All right, people! Let's get up!" It was Marya, and she'd lit off a bright light spell to go with it.

I opened my eyes and stared into Rachella's. "Later. For sure."

"All right." We disengaged and stood up, moving towards Marya, as other people were.

Suddenly, Vastedon yelled, "Holy purple dinosaurs! Peg's dead!"

Marya snapped her head in that direction. "What? Dammit! Abner was
not
our killer!"

Jonqin groaned. "So...which of us is...are...responsible?"

"I don't know. It doesn't matter now. Our priority is to find a way out of this cave." She indicated a passage to our left. "Let's try that one first. We'll discuss our lynch options while we go. Move it!"

With that, Marya strode purposefully down the passageway, the rest of us following shortly behind her. I once again pondered whether I should tell the others about the Daemonica Scripta...

farside22, Ptero "Peg" Darmouth,
Guild Sorcerer
, had his throat slit on Night 3.

The
has been dropped. Both it and the
are available to grab.

Vote Count 4.0

Not Voting: easjo682, Chronopie, havingfitz, Nikanor, Kenman, VasudeVa, Pittbunny

With 7 players alive and no players sleeping, it takes 4 votes to lynch.
Deadline is Saturday, July 3rd, at 10:00 a.m. CST. (You get extra time because I don't feel like doing stuff at 11:00 p.m. at night.)

I am still looking for a replacement for easjo682.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #519 (isolation #63) » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:59 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Rachella took something out of her pack and dropped it on the ground. It landed with a heavy
thud

"What was that?" I asked.

She shrugged. "Some book I was carrying. It got kinda heavy, so I took it out."

Behind them, Gaston picked up the book and looked at it. "This is a Psykus Daemonica!" he exclaimed. "How could you treat this book so carelessly, Rachella?"

"I dunno." She giggled. Gaston sighed and handed the book to me. "You have the honors, again," he said to me.

I groaned as I took the book. I'd just finished deciding who'd get the other items, too...

The
Psykus Daemonica (IC: 4)
is on the ground, and is available to grab.

The
and the
have been picked up, and are no longer available to grab.

Players Sleeping

havingfitz (June 30th at 4:00 a.m. CST)

Vote Count 4.1

(1) Pittbunny: VasudeVa
(1) Chronopie: Pittbunny
(1) Kenman: Nikanor
(1) VasudeVa: Nikanor

Not Voting: easjo682, Chronopie, Kenman

With 7 players alive and 1 player sleeping, it takes 4 votes to lynch.
Deadline is Saturday, July 3rd, at 10:00 a.m. CST.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #524 (isolation #64) » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:10 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

I made a minor error in that I forgot to include havingfitz as being asleep until Wednesday, June 30th, 2010 at 4:00 a.m. CST. Updating vote count to reflect this now.

Players Sleeping

havingfitz (June 30th at 4:00 a.m. CST)

Vote Count 4.2

Not Voting: easjo682, Chronopie, Kenman, Pittbunny

With 7 players alive and 1 player sleeping, it takes 4 votes to lynch.
Deadline is Saturday, July 3rd, at 10:00 a.m. CST.

Retroactively modifying the previous vote counts to account for this correction.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #539 (isolation #65) » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:48 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Silently we continued our trek down the caves. I was striding alongside Gaston and Theadora. The only person ahead of us was Marya, and she was preoccupied with watching the path ahead.

"Do you really think we'll find a way out?" I asked Gaston quietly.

He shook his head. "Not really. The mountains are big, and the further you descend into them, the less likely you are to find another passageway out."

"But it doesn't hurt to look," Theadora added. "Much better than just sitting around and waiting to die."

"Yeah." We walked in silence for a while.

Then Theadora said, "You know what's really been bothering me, though? Why haven't those imps tried to break through the collapsed cave entrance?"

"A lot of rocks fell," I pointed out. "And they're heavy too. I'm not sure they could lift them."

"Oh, trust me, they could," Gaston assured me. "I can think of two things: either they have another way inside, or they're digging through the rock."

I shuddered. "You mean those things could pop up in here?"

He nodded. "Not a damn thing we can do about it, though."

A thought struck me. "There's a third possibility. Abner."

Theadora arched her eyebrow. "What does Abner have to do with anything?"

"Presumably he summoned those imps, right? They herded us off from going anywhere
except
the cave. If all he was trying to do was kill us, why not just have them surround us entirely?"

"But why?" Gaston inquired. "Why would Abner be trying to manipulate us to do things when he won't reap the benefits of it?"

"Maybe it isn't Abner who's doing the manipulation..."

Jonqin Aldertoss (havingfitz)
has awoken, but he has told me he'll be V/LA until Friday.

The previous vote count still applies.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #545 (isolation #66) » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:57 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

I will extend the deadline by three days from the original one. If I find an easjo replacement in the meantime, I may extend it further.

The new deadline is Tuesday, July 6th, 2010 at 10:00 a.m.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #550 (isolation #67) » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:44 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Kenman has been prodded for a second time. Chronopie and Nikanor have also been prodded. Nik's is a bit early, so if he posts before 11:58 a.m. CST he dodges the prod.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #561 (isolation #68) » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:54 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

animorpherv1 replaces easjo682 effective immediately. Thank you, animorpherv1!

I will extend the deadline by four additional days on account of this. Final deadline is Saturday, June 10th, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. CST.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #583 (isolation #69) » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:56 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Silently our party continued to walk down the corridors of stone, with Marya leading the way. The further we traversed, the colder the chill became. An uneasy feeling came into my mind, as if we were walking inside the bowels of a daemon itself.

Theadora and Gaston had laughed off my thought earlier that the daemon lord Xastartes was somehow behind all this. Wasn't he dead, after all? I had a strong urge to take out the Daemonica Scripta and find out, but I still didn't feel certain that I should reveal this book's existence to the others. Would they take it away from me? Would my revelation trigger some horrifying event that finished us off? Or was it just my damn paranoia?

Who wouldn't feel paranoid in a place like this, though...

Someone bumped into me. Glancing back, I saw Vastedon shakily stumbling away, carrying a flask of wine.
Of all the things he chose to bring with him...

"Shorry," Vastedon apologized.

"Are you insane?!" I hissed. "This is no time to be drunk!"

"Wrong," he countered, "thish ish the perfect time to be drunk." With that, he took another swig.

He did have a point, I suppose. At times of impending death were the best times to get away from all your worries. I guess I'd hoped that a sorcerer like him would've had more fighting spirit than that...

Vote Count 4.3

Not Voting: easjo682, Chronopie, Kenman, Pittbunny

Deadline is Saturday, July 10th, at 10:00 a.m. CST.

I am looking for a replacement for Kenman. However, I currently do not plan on additional deadline extensions.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #620 (isolation #70) » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:13 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Suddenly, Marya stopped and stared intensely down a side passage to her left. I quickly strode up to her and asked, "What's going on?"

She pointed ahead of her. "There, far in the distance. Can you see it?"

I looked down the tunnel. "I don't see it."

Without warning, she extinguished her light. "How about now?"

"Hey!" complained Jonqin. "The daemon are you doing, Marya?"

Now that it was dark, however, what Marya had spotted was plain to see. "There's a light down there, guys," I told the others.

"Really?" Rachella's voice trembled excitedly. "Like a way out?"

"Maybe." Something seemed off about that light, though. It seemed too yellow to be outdoor light. And the sense of foreboding in my mind was stronger than ever before...

Marya activated her light spell again. "Well, let's check it out."

She and the others proceeded to enter the corridor. I followed silently, my thoughts as dark as the caverns behind us. I'd never been the religious type, but I couldn't help but pray to the gods that doing this was not the bad idea my mind made it out to be...

Vote Count 4.4

(2) havingfitz: Nikanor, Nikanor
(1) Chronopie: VasudeVa

Not Voting: animorpherv1, Chronopie, Kenman, Pittbunny, havingfitz

The countdown timer for the
Psykus Daemonica
began awhile back.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #660 (isolation #71) » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:17 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

That would be a lynch. I just got back from partying however so I'm gonna crash for a bunch of hours and won't post the results of the lynch until after the deadline. This is pretty much to inform you that this is the twilight phase, so you can keep talking until I get a final vote count and a lynch scene.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #664 (isolation #72) » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:04 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Final Day 4 Vote Count

(4) Chronopie: VasudeVa, havingfitz, Nikanor, Nikanor

Not Voting: animorpherv1, Chronopie, Kenman, Pittbunny

SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #665 (isolation #73) » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:06 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

We moved slowly toward that distant light. A palpable tension descended upon our group. Was that light a way out of this cursed cavern? Or did it portend something else entirely?

My thoughts kept coming back to that damned Daemonica Scripta and the nigh-heretical knowledge it imbued. Something felt entirely wrong about this expedition. Abner was responsible for organizing it, and he was working for daemonic powers, if not Xastarte himself. It seemed safe to say that ulterior motives were definitely in play. So what had Abner wanted with the Eye? Was Xastarte behind this chaos?

I felt certain that the Scripta held the answers to those questions, but I dared not read from it in the presence of the others. I had gotten it from Abner, after all. Was it something I could truly trust?

I clenched my teeth angrily. Damn it all!

Someone tugged on my shirt sleeve. "We're getting closer," Rachella said quietly.

Looking ahead, the light in the tunnel was becoming bright and larger. I felt a bit weary from all the walking we'd done today, but I pressed on, determined to see what the light at the end of the tunnel was.

Hours passed by. We drew closer to the foreboding light. Eventually we were close enough to see that there was a bend in the tunnel, and the light came from beyond the bend. Various small talk was made about what the light would reveal, but at the same time the tenseness in our souls would not go away.

Finally, we came to the bend. We made the turn, and at last got to glimpse the source of the light.

"Dear gods..." Ferdinand whispered, among others.

Ahead of us was a small, circular room. Lining the outside walls were curved stone tables, with various artifacts strewn atop them. The walls themselves were painted blood red, with patterns that resembled a black circle with two yellow arcs on the outside and a orange dot in the center painted on the wall at even intervals.

But the most fascinating thing, by far, lay in the center of the room. A raised stone altar rested there, approximately waist-high and decorated with ornate carvings, painted the same shade of red as the walls. Protruding from the center of the altar were three curved metal prongs, and there, resting on top of the prongs, resided the source of the mysterious light: a small, translucent sphere, glowing a bright yellow. The light inside seemed to swirl about violently, chaotically. Immediately we all knew what it was.

"The Eye of Xastarte..." Gaston breathed.

I stared at the Eye, captivated by it. "So we managed to find this thing after all."

"And these other things," Jonqin remarked, indicating the artifacts on the small tables. "Ancient daemonic artifacts. Taking these back could help us learn so much about magic and our history."

Those words triggered thoughts of the Daemonica Scripta again. Maybe I was wrong to keep it hidden from the others? Perhaps I should try to speak to someone later, someone I could trust...

Marya slowly approached the altar, reaching out to take hold of the Eye.

"Stop," Theadora commanded.

Marya glanced back. "Why?"

"Something's seems wrong about all this, Marya. How did you know the Eye would be here?"

"Excuse me?" Marya glared at Theadora. "I had no clue the Eye was here. I just saw the light, and we followed it."

"A light that was very hard to see even without the aid of darkness," Theadora pointed out. "How were you able to spot that light with that bright light spell of yours?"

Marya shrugged. "I have good eyesight. You aren't implying that I deliberately led all of you here, are you?"

"She has a point," Vastedon pointed out. "How did you happen to choose exactly the right tunnel to lead us down in the first place?"

"I just picked a random tunnel! I had no idea that the Eye was also down in this direction."

"Regardless," Jonqin said, "perhaps someone else should take hold of the Eye."

A smoldering look came into Marya's eyes. "So that's how it is, then? You people just want the Eye for yourselves, don't you? Well, I won't let you have it!"

She lunged out her hand and seized the Eye. Just as soon as she grabbed it, however, she let out a bloodcurdling yell and dropped the Eye on the ground. It rolled away unobtrusively as Marya clutched her hand in agony.

"It burns!" she screamed. "Godsdamn, it burns!"

"That's enough," growled Vastedon. "Did anyone bring the rope with us?"

"I didn't," Rachella replied, as did everyone else.

"Well then," said Theadora, eying the three sharp prongs on the altar, "we'll just have to be creative, then..."

Marya's eyes flew open and she shot to her feet, but she was quickly seized by Vastedon, Jonqin, and Theadora. "You can't do this!" Marya protested. "You just can't!"

"Yes we can," Vastedon replied. He and Jonqin pinioned Marya's arms and dragged over to the side of the altar. Marya struggled, but she could not break away from her captors. Gradually she was positioned so her face loomed directly over the prongs.

Theadora grabbed the back of Marya's head and said, "Any last words?"

"I'm innocent, damn you!" Marya growled. "You're making a big mistake!"

"Right." With that, Theadora pushed hard on the back of Marya's head, impaling her face onto the three prongs. Marya cried out in agony as blood seeped from her forehead and onto the altar; one of her eyeballs had been punctured, and bits of that were strewn on the altar as well. Theadora kept pushing on Marya's head, driving the prongs in deeper and deeper....

Suddenly, Marya's body began to writhe, and she flung herself off of the spikes, throwing her captors off of her as well. Her face was a bloodied mess, and her one good eye was opened wide. She screamed and flung herself onto the floor.

"It burns!" she shrieked. "Oh gods-"

And then black flames came out from her body, intense heat that I could feel even standing at a distance. Mere moments later, the fire completely consumed her and left nothing behind, not even a pinch of ashes.

We stared at the spot where Marya's body had been consumed. "What the daemon was that?" Gaston demanded to know.

"She burned from the inside..." Jonqin murmured. "It was obviously magic."

"So sad," Ferdinand said quietly. "She maintained her innocence all the way to her death."

"Perhaps she was innocent, then," Gaston murmured. A somber mood descended upon us, and for a long while we simply stood in silence.

Then Theadora said, "Well, let's take the Eye and those other artifacts and go back to finding a way out of the cave." She walked over to the Eye and grabbed it, only to drop it instantly as Marya had done before.

"Gods have mercy!" she growled through clenched teeth. "How the daemon is anyone supposed to pick that thing up?"

"Maybe it only burns magic users," Jonqin suggested. "Maybe a non-Sorcerer would be able to safely carry it."

Everyone turned to look at me, and I groaned mentally. "I- I don't really want to touch it," I protested, glancing at the agonized Theadora. "How do we know it doesn't just do that for everyone?"

"Oh, suck it up," Gaston remarked. "It won't kill you."

"Besides, you're the best person to carry it, anyway," Rachella pointed out. "You're the only person here we can all trust."

"Fine." Cautiously I went over to where the Eye rested, near Theadora. I reached for it, fighting virulently against the survival instincts that had launched a full-scale war in my mind. Slowly, steadily, my finger touched the Eye of Xastarte.

It was quite cool to the touch. Emboldened, I put my entire hand on it, and still I wasn't burned. Knowing that I wouldn't be burned, I picked the Eye up and held it in my hand.

"See? No harm," Jonqin said.

"Let's get the other stuff and leave this room," I suggested, looking at the blood on the altar. "I...would much rather not sleep in this place."

"Agreed," Rachella replied.

She seemed to hold up well under the duress,
I thought as I slipped the Eye in my bag, along with the Psykus Daemonica I'd picked up earlier. Jonqin put the ancient daemonic things in his pack, and then we left the room, Theadora leading the way.

After going a short way down the long corridor, we decided to stop and get some sleep. Rachella looked hungrily at me, and I nodded emphatically. We moved a considerable distance away from the others and set up a single bedroll...

Chronopie, Marya Torr,
Guild Sorceress
, was impaled in the face (lynched) and incinerated on Day 4.

The
Psykus Daemonica
is still on the ground and will be available to grab again tomorrow.

SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #666 (isolation #74) » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:48 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Night 4 ended about two hours ago, but I'm not feeling so well at the moment, so I'll resolve actions and flavor stuff later this evening. Sorry for the inconvenience.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #667 (isolation #75) » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:20 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

I'm sorry it took this long, but sleep seems to have made things much better. Anyway, resolving stuff and writing flavor, please don't post in the thread until I say so or offending posts will be deleted.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #668 (isolation #76) » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:22 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

My eyes fluttered open, star. Rachella lay beside me, her arms encircled around me, her warm body pressed against mine. I felt a sense of calm and tranquility, despite all the chaotic events occurring around me.

Rachella stirred, and I brushed her hair out of her eyes and kissed them. She smiled. "Hello, doll," she whispered sweetly.

I smiled. "Sleep well?"

She nodded. "For the most part." She giggled. "Reliving last night made it hard for me to fall asleep."

"Even using up all that energy?"

"Aye." For a moment more we simply held each other in silence, basking in each other's radiance.

Finally I said, "We should probably get dressed before someone comes looking for us."

"Aw... you sure?"

"Yeah. My internal clock says it's been about eight hours. That probably means the others are waking up by now."

Rachella sighed. "Oh, well. You're probably right." She gave me a kiss and crawled out of my bedroll to pick up her clothes, strewn across the cave floor nearby.

I used my feet to pull my bundle of clothes from the foot of my bedroll. Carefully I unwound the clothes to expose the Eye of Xastarte, immediately casting off a bright light. I happened to glance at Rachella, and boy, was she a beauteous vision to behold. For a moment, I stared at her, transfixed by her body. She looked at me and smiled as she wrapped her white loincloth around her waist.

Reluctantly I forced myself to look away from Rachella and replace the Eye in my bag. The dark terror that had been haunting my mind the past few days began to creep back into my thoughts. I fought them by recalling thoughts of last night's extravaganza, while getting dressed myself.

Finished, I stood up and looked in Rachella's direction, just as she lit off a light spell, dressed once more in her blue sorcerer's robes.

"Let's go find the others," I said. She came over to me and we wrapped an arm around each other's shoulders. Then we set off in the direction where the others were sleeping.

When we got there, we found that everyone else was waking up, as I'd expected. Vastedon looked at us and grinned, giving Rachella a most lecherous wink. "Are we...eh...
refreshed
this morning?" he inquired.

"Quite well, thank you," I replied. "Now, however, we should resume our attempts to find a way out of these caves. Who shall lead us?"

"I will," Gaston replied. "I have the best sense of direction, and I can recall each turn we take."

"Hold on a minute," Jonqin objected. "Why should we trust your guidance?"

"Well, unless anyone else is good with directions, do you have any other choice?"

Rachella put her mouth to my ear and whispered, "Definitely not me."

"Um..." All of us turned to look at Ferdinand. "I can do it. I've got good memory and a good sense of direction."

"Yeah," Jonqin agreed, "that's a good idea. He's the most likely of us to be innocent, since he died and all."

Rachella nodded, and I said, "Sounds good. Unless anyone else has an objection, let's get moving. Ferdinand, lead the way."

No deaths or other public events occurred on Night 4.

The
Psykus Daemonica (IC: 4)
is on the ground and available to pick up.

Day 5 has begun.

Vote Count 5.0

Not Voting: animorpherv1, Kenman, Pittbunny, havingfitz, Nikanor, VasudeVa

With 6 players alive and no players sleeping, it takes 4 votes to lynch.
Deadline is on Saturday, July 17th, 2010 at 1:00 p.m. CST.

You may now post in the thread.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #689 (isolation #77) » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:26 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

I'm sorry I've not been around, guys, my life literally just went from lazy lackadaisical to full-steam ahead these past few days. I should have time to update things later today, I ask you to be patient for a while longer. Thanks.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #691 (isolation #78) » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:24 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Ugh, I couldn't get to it yesterday, sorry guys. Good news is that I've got things done now.

havingfitz has been lynched. A lynch scene is forthcoming...again, please don't post while I write it up.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #692 (isolation #79) » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:12 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

"I object," Vastedon said abruptly.

I turned to look at him quizzically. "Whatever for?"

"It's a simple reason, really," Gaston replied, smiling. "We've found what we came here for. The remaining members of the party don't have nearly enough power to combat our power."

"And thus," Theodora concluded as she reached for something in her robe, "we've decided that it is best to simply kill the rest of you now."

To my horror, she withdrew a ruby-craft dagger. It glistened in the glow of the light Vastedon was creating.

"Dear gods!" Rachella screamed, hiding behind me and trembling with fear.

"Curse you!" Jonqin growled as he quickly withdrew a magical book of his own. Before he could recite any spells, however, Theadora leaped across the corridor and plunged her dagger deep into his heart. Then she drew it out and slashed at him repeatedly.

"Rachella, do something!" I hissed. "You've got magic ability, use it!"

"I...I..." Rachella stuttered.

Meanwhile, Ferdinand tried to rush for Theadora, but Gaston grabbed him and slammed his forehead down hard onto the stone ground. Blood pooled from Ferdinand's head, and his body lay inert. At the same time, Theadora finished hacking up Jonqin's long-dead body. The three of them - Gaston, Theadora, and Vastedon, turned to face Rachella and I.

Some sense finally entered my head. "Run!" I screamed, turning around and pushing Rachella forward, trying to make her run faster. Instead, she clung to me, and we both toppled to the floor. The Eye of Xastarte rolled out of my bag and onto the stone floor, illuminating the cave even more brightly than before.

I started to scramble to my feet, but Gaston and Vastedon rushed over and grabbed my arms, holding me tight. Beside us, Theadora scrambled over to Rachella and plunged her dagger deep into the back of her neck. Rachella's gargled scream was one of the most pitiful and horrific sounds I'd ever heard. Theadora stabbed her again and again and again, until at last Rachella's body lay still.

Suddenly, a wave of terror washed over me, realizing that I was about to die. And yet, a thought came to me...

"So what are you going to do now?" I asked Theadora as she turned to face me. "Kill me?"

"That was the plan," she replied, holding up the ruby dagger.

"But is that really in your best interests?" I was careful with my words. "I am the only person who can safely handle the Eye of Xastarte, after all. And if I'm dead, you won't be able to bring it to, well, wherever it is you intend to take it."

"You propose a collaboration, then," Gaston said quietly.

"Aye. Let me live, and I'll carry the Eye of Xastarte for you. What do you say?"

I felt plenty of pangs of guilt, negotiating for my life after witnessing the deaths of my friends, but I couldn't help it. I wanted to live. I
earnestly
hoped that they'd accept my offer.

Silence passed for a long time, and I began to feel doubt, but I shoved it out of my mind.

Finally, Theadora answered, "I accept this plan."

"As do I," chimed Vastedon.

"And I," Gaston agreed.

I sighed in relief. Gaston and Vastedon let me go and I picked up the Eye of Xastarte. Was this a betrayal? Technically, no. But it sure felt like one. With every breath I took, however, the regrets about my decision were slowly etched away...

havingfitz, Jonqin Aldertoss,
Guild Sorcerer
, was mercilessly mutilated (lynched) on Day 5.
animorpherv1, Ferdinand Kepples,
Guild Sorcerer
, had his skull bashed into the ground in the endgame.
Pittbunny, Rachella Harlek,
Guild Sorceress
, clumsily fell on the floor and was stabbed to death in the endgame.

The four of us managed to find another exit out of the Cursed Caverns. Through sheer luck we ran into a town before we died of lack of water and food. Once we resupplied ourselves, we then made our way to the location of the organization that sought the Eye of Xastarte, the Psykus Domina. They tried to betray me, of course, but even if the Eye was covered by something else they could still feel the burning heat. After that, they left me alone.

For some reason, I never thought about escaping from them, even though in retrospect this was probably my best option. Thus, we arrived at the Lair of Psykus Domina after six days of hard traveling, and I placed the Eye of Xastarte in the special pedestal made to hold it. To my disbelief, no one tried to kill me then, either. I was even offered a chance to work for Psykus Domina, which I quickly accepted.

In no time at all I recalled the missing parts of the account I'd begun earlier on and wrote them in. The result is this account you now currently read. Why did I bother to finish this up? It's because of the strange things going on with me. It's not just how people have avoided killing me. I've been hearing voices in my head as of late, and yesterday I somehow managed to use a light spell in my room, despite my lack of magical affinity.

Something strange is definitely going on. I feel a strong urge to visit the Eye. Deep inside, I feel that this will only cause me grief and death; yet I will heed the call. I cannot avoid it. Once I write the final stroke, I will leave this account here, on my desk, while I procure access to the Eye. If nothing ill occurs, so be it. If something should happen, I leave this record to describe how I, a simple scribe, succumbed to this dastardly insanity.

My descent...into chaos.

Kenman, Gaston Hartley,
Renegade Sorcerer
VasudeVa, Theadora Lye,
Renegade Sorceress
Nikanor, Vastedon Kowrelle,
Treacherous Sorcerer
SaintKerrigan, Santas,
?
?
?
, survives to an unknown fate...

The game is now over! Role PMs, Actions, and thoughts to come when I'm on the computer that has all that information. Thank you for playing my game, and feel free to discuss things amongst yourselves, now.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #697 (isolation #80) » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:34 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Pittbunny wrote:Anyway, props to the mod for some wonderful flavor (and frankly, I should have noticed that the scum were getting almost no crunchy flavor).
Thanks. Although I tried my best to balance out how many times a player was given flavor time, but sometimes I just wasn't able to do this. I felt it was about equal, though, but I didn't count it so I could be wrong.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #699 (isolation #81) » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:12 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Nikanor wrote:Why didn't we endgame at the beginning of the day, by the way?
Because it was still technically possible, due to the sleep cycle, for the mafia to accidentally lynch/kill one of their own, so I had to let that possibility play out.

The mafia doublevoter may have been a little too powerful, but the mafia also got lucky and managed to not get lynched while taking out the SK who could counter them. Meh, this game was largely experimental as it was, so I guess I'll file this data away for future games.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #705 (isolation #82) » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:30 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

havingfitz wrote:SK...why didn't my shroud of confusion action go through yesterday (the day I got lynched)? If my magic had been successful I think town would have been in decent shape to win. I would have been protected during the night phase and could have rezzed someone tomorrow. Fock.
It did go through, actually. Nik just got incredibly lucky on Random.org. :P
VasudeVa wrote:Kenman getting the cop item is a REALLY weird design thing. Why?
The original setup for DiC gave too much power to the town, so one of my revisions was to give a normally town item to scum, both for the WIFOM and for depriving the town of it's use right away. Scum seemed to have it easy this time around, but there was so much potential for it to go wrong, like the possibility of losing their only means of killing people. It's possible I made them a bit too powerful, but then again, they did have it rather easy in this game, hardly getting pressure from the town.
VasudeVa wrote:Who was stealing the stuff? Me=W?
Yes. I'll explain more when I get roles up, but basically he was an SK with a possession ability (not item) instead of a kill, which allowed him to make other people perform item actions (and he was told what items they had) or he could steal their items and put them in his own inventory.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #720 (isolation #83) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:11 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Patience, M=W. I don't always have access to this computer 24/7.

Anywho, the stuff.

If you had a quicktopic, feel free to post it. This was the Afterlife.

Role PMs
(I'm not bothering to go back and do things like add colors and names and change "count" to "cost". I figure you guys would be able to figure it out on your own.)

ABNER JAYWORTHY

Hello, [Player]. Your game-name is Abner Jayworthy. This name will be publicly known and will be used for flavor purposes only. It does not indicate your alignment whatsoever.

This expedition into the Cursed Caverns was your idea. Officially, you've told everyone that the objective is to secure the Eye of Xastarte for proper study at the Sorcerer's Tower. You have a dark secret, however: you are, in fact, a servant of the dark daemon lord Xastarte himself. Your true mission is to ensure that every member of your party dies, so you can bring them to the Eye for your sacred ritual. Xastarte has promised you great power for accomplishing this task.

You are a Servant of Xastarte. Your alignment is Third Party.

You have no items in your inventory. However, you do possess an ability specific to your role.

Xastarte's Possession: You may select a player during the day or night, and you will immediately learn what items that player has and what those items do. You may then select one of that player's items to use on another player of your choice (pending that the item hasn't already been used). You may also force that player to give you any and all items they possess. You do not control their votes, however.

You win when all other players are eliminated, or nothing can prevent such from occurring.

Mod Note: The Servant could either Redirect or Steal, but not both. Possession also interrupts that person's sleep.

THEADORA LYE

Hello, [Player]. Your game-name is Theadora Lye. This name will be publicly known and will be used for flavor purposes only. It does not indicate your alignment whatsoever.

You have a dark secret. You aren't really part of the Guild, at least not in your heart. You work for the Psykus Domina, and they share the same contempt of the Guild's restrained, childish practices as you. You and your boyfriend, Gaston Hartley, joined with the expedition in order to betray it upon finding the Eye, and then bring the Eye to Psykus Domina. Unfortunately, you had to kill Xelmas after he overheard you discussing your plans with Gaston. The rest are alerted, so you and Gaston will have to kill them all to accomplish your mission.

You are a Renegade Sorceress. Your alignment is Mafia.

Your partner is Gaston Hartley ([Player B]). He shares your win condition and alignment. During the night phase and pregame you may communicate with each other via this [QuickTopic].

You have the following item in your inventory:

Ruby Dagger (Inventory Count: 3)
Crafted from pure ruby, this dagger is not only beautiful, it is quite deadly. It will do nicely for taking care of your "companions."
Item Ability: Kill (During a phase, you may select a player. That player will be killed at the end of the phase, unless another item action prevents such from occurring.)
This item does not use magic.

You and Gaston thought you saw someone else leaving the scene after Xelmas was murdered, but you don't know who. You haven't been found out yet, though, so maybe this individual would be willing to help you further. If you or Gaston wish to find this individual and recruit him or her, one of you must opt to recruit during a phase in place of your item's regular action. This player shares your win condition and alignment.

You win when all other players are eliminated, or nothing can prevent such from occurring.

GASTON HARTLEY

Hello, [Player]. Your game-name is Gaston Hartley. This name will be publicly known and will be used for flavor purposes only. It does not indicate your alignment whatsoever.

You thought the Guild was about the furthering of humanity when you joined it. A greater lie could not have been contrived. Not only is the Guild unwilling to go into places like the necromantic arts and daemonic manipulation, but the social circle is so decidedly disunited and rife with rivalry. So when your girlfriend Theadora Lye told you about an opportunity to work with Psykus Domina, you took it. Together, you and Theadora must bring the Eye of Xastarte back to Psychus Domina. Things just got a bit complicated though, with Theadora being forced to murder Xelmas after he overheard the two of you discussing plans. With the others alerted, you and Theadora will have to kill the others to achieve your objective.

You are a Renegade Sorcerer. Your alignment is Mafia.

Your partner is Theadora Lye ([Player A]). She shares your win condition and alignment. During the night phase and pregame you may communicate with each other via this [QuickTopic].

Sacred Scroll of Knowledge (Inventory Count: 3)
Crafted by sorcerers from long ago, the Sacred Scroll of Knowledge can give you insight into the mentality of another person.
Item Ability: Mental Insight (During a phase, you may select a player. Unless prevented by another item ability, you will be told that player's alignment.)
This item uses magic.

You and Theadora thought you saw someone else leaving the scene after Xelmas was murdered, but you don't know who. You haven't been found out yet, though, so maybe this individual would be willing to help you further. If you or Theadora wish to find this individual and recruit him or her, one of you must opt to recruit during a phase in place of your item's regular action. This player shares your win condition and alignment.

VASTEDON KOWRELLE

Hello, [Player]. Your game-name is Vastedon Kowrelle. This name will be publicly known and will be used for flavor purposes only. It does not indicate your alignment whatsoever.

You're just a sorcerer for the Guild, but you've always been in it for the money, not the magic. With the recent recession, the Guild's been scaling back on your paycheck, and that means less women, beer, and other luxuries of life. You have a secret, though: you know who killed Apprentice Xelmas earlier today. However, you overheard the conversation that lead to the murder, so you know who the murderers work for. And it seems reasonable that an organization like Psykus Domina would be willing to pay handsomely for the Eye of Xastarte. It might not be a bad idea to join up with them...

You are a Treacherous Sorcerer. Your alignment is Mafia.

You know who the Renegade Sorcerers (Mafia) are: Theadora Lye ([Player A]) and Gaston Hartley ([Player B]). They do not know who you are, but they are aware of your existence. You share their win condition as well as alignment.

Amulet of Gatos (Inventory Count: 2)
A sacred artifact crafted by the great sorcerer Gatos himself, the amulet has an innate ability to improve the owner's persuasion capabilities, giving him greater influence in a group.
Ability: Great Persuasion (You are able to place two votes during the day phase. Both votes do not have to go on the same target.)
This item uses magic.

You win when all players other than the Renegade Sorcerers are eliminated, or nothing can prevent such from occurring. (Note: if the Renegade Sorcerers are killed before they recruit you, your win condition changes to town, unless you're already dead.)

ALICIA TABBERNATHY

Hello, [Player]. Your game-name is Alicia Tabbernathy. This name will be publicly known and will be used for flavor purposes only. It does not indicate your alignment whatsoever.

You've been a long-time friend of Abner, which is the main reason you volunteered for this quest to find the Eye of Xastarte. Personally, you're fine with beguiling young men with your sexual prowess, but that doesn't mean you can't fight for your survival. Which is a good thing, because with the murder of Xelmas, that's what you're going to have to do. Aside from the seductive arts, you are also a skilled in the art of protection, so use your Talisman of Protection wisely.

You are a Guild Sorceress. Your alignment is Town.

Talisman of Protection (Inventory Count: 3)
A standard protection talisman crafted by the Guild, it is quite effective at preventing another person's death, whether by tools or magic.
Ability: Protection (You may target another player during a phase. Unless prevented by another item's action, the target player will not die via actions during that phase (your target may still be lynched). You may not target yourself.)
This item uses magic.

HYPERION MACI

Hello, [Player]. Your game-name is Hyperion Maci. This name will be publicly known and will be used for flavor purposes only. It does not indicate your alignment whatsoever.

You've heard many rumors about the Eye of Xastarte. All of them make it out to be an artifact of great power. Mankind subverted the daemonic power of magic once before. You're not afraid to go into a daemon's lair and take his power for the good of sorcery. Apparently there are party members that have other agendas, however, as evidenced by the death of Xelmas. You must find and destroy them before they kill you all.

You are a Guild Sorcerer. Your alignment is Town.

Encyclopedia Daemonica (Inventory Count: 4)
A powerful spellbook created during the First Daemon War, this spellbook contains many powerful abilities. What it is most known for, however, is the ability to raise the dead without the use of necromantic powers.
Abilities: Unrestrained Passion (You may target another player during a phase. Unless prevented by another action, any actions from the target will fail for that phase. In addition, you will create a masonry that lasts from the time you submitted the action to the end of the phase.)
Shroud of Confusion (You may target another player during a phase. Unless prevented by another action, all actions from the target will be randomized for one phase.)
Black Flame (You may target another player during a phase. Unless prevented by another action, the target will be incinerated at the end of the phase, along with any items the target possessed.)
Astral Shield (Upon activation, you are immune to all actions for the rest of the phase, including votes. You may only target yourself.)
Resurrection (You may target a dead player. Unless prevented by another action, that player will be brought back to life. For the next two phases, the player has a 100-word post restriction and is unable to use an ability.) (Note: If you use Black Flame to kill a player, you may not use Resurrection to bring that player back to life.)
Note: You must use every action once before you can repeat any actions.
This item uses magic.

FERDINAND KEPPLES

Hello, [Player]. Your game-name is Ferdinand Kepples. This name will be publicly known and will be used for flavor purposes only. It does not indicate your alignment whatsoever.

You've always been on the fringe of acceptability in the Guild. You deal largely with fetish magic, a practice typically frowned upon. You opted to join this expedition to demonstrate to your fellow sorcerers just how powerful fetish magic can be. Things look to get ugly with the murder of Xelmas, so you'd best be on your toes.

Fetish-Crafting Kit (Inventory Count: 3)
Fetish magic is one of the more rare magical development lines, often due to its association with daemonic possession. If one is brave enough to wield Fetish magic, though, they can make themselves formidable in power.
Ability: Craft Fetish (You may target another player during a phase. Unless prevented by another item's action, you will craft a fetish of that player. During that phase, any action that happens to you will also happen to the other player.)
This item uses magic.

MARYA TORR

Hello, [Player]. Your game-name is Marya Torr. This name will be publicly known and will be used for flavor purposes only. It does not indicate your alignment whatsoever.

Unlike Alicia, you've never given a damn about pleasuring yourself through sex. To you, magic is a powerful agent to humanity, not to be taken lightly. Because of this, you have a bit of a tiff with Alicia for her magic-aided sexual escapades. Mostly, you joined this party to prove that you're better than that whore, and that you'll be the one saving the party from danger, not her. Well, you've failed so far; Xelmas is dead, at the hands of the party's own. You must ensure that at least some of you come out of this alive.

Psykus Daemonica (Inventory Count: 4)
One of the first magical items constructed, the Psykus Daemonica is still powerful enough to be in use in modern times. It carries great respect within the realm of sorcery.
Ability: Magical Residue (You may target another player during a phase. Unless prevented by another item's action, you will detect any and all magical abilities targeting the player, and you will learn the name of the action. Detects itself.)
This item uses magic.

JULES WESCOTT

Hello, [Player]. Your game-name is Jules Wescott. This name will be publicly known and will be used for flavor purposes only. It does not indicate your alignment whatsoever.

People tend to think of you as the bookish sort. You like to study, study, study, sometimes even forgetting to eat. You and Abner went to many of the same sorcery classes at the Sorcerer's Tower, and this is why you've been recruited for his expedition. Things are starting to go wrong, however, with Xelmas being murdered by the party's own. You need to use your brain and your spellbook to find out who did it, and take care of them.

Book of Spells (Inventory Count: 3)
A standard sorcery spellbook, it nonetheless contains a variety of powers quite useful to any sorcerer.
Abilities: Befuddlement (You may target another player during a phase. Unless prevented by another item's action, you will block that player's actions during that phase.)
Silent Speech (You may target another player during a phase. From the time you send the action to the end of the phase, you will enter a masonry with that player.)
Clear Mind (You may target another player during a phase. For the rest of the phase, no external actions will affect that player, except for votes. You may target yourself.)
Note: You must use every action once before you may repeat actions.
This item uses magic.

JONQIN ALDERTOSS

Hello, [Player]. Your game-name is Jonqin Aldertoss. This name will be publicly known and will be used for flavor purposes only. It does not indicate your alignment whatsoever.

You work with the magical research department of the Guild. You find new ways to utilize magic, and craft adept tools out of them. You asked to be included on this expedition to try out a new toy: Merce's Map, the new means for following people via magical means. With Xelmas murdered, it looks like you'll get a good chance to test out that map.

Merce's Map (Inventory Count: 2)
Many experiments have been conducted to develop a way to track a player's movements via magic. Merce's Map is the latest Guild tool in this endeavor.
Ability: Imprint Tracking (You may target another player during a phase. Unless prevented by another item's action, you will learn if a player targeted anyone with a physical action.)
This item uses magic.

RACHELLA HARLEK

Hello, [Player]. Your game-name is Rachella Harlek. This name will be publicly known and will be used for flavor purposes only. It does not indicate your alignment whatsoever.

You've often been told that you're clumsy and scatterbrained, and that's true. However, you're one of the few people who can work the Visor of Opticus, and that's why you were recruited for the party. Unfortunately, your little dunk into the river caused you to lose the Visor, and you've been keeping quiet, afraid of the wrath from the others should they discover your folly. It doesn't help that you're addicted to Psyweed, either. And it especially doesn't help that there are murderers in the party, and if you don't find them fast they'll kill you, too.

Psyweed (Inventory Count: 1)
Psyweed was discovered by explorers on the daemon-occupied island of Icthma during one of the daemon uprisings. Since then, it has become quite a popular narcotic among sorcerers, despite being a banned substance by both the Kingdom of Undolin and the Guild of Sorcerers.
Ability: Stimulate Magic (You may consume the Psyweed. If you have another item and you have already used it once this phase, you may use that item again. For the next two phases, however, you will be unable to sleep and your actions will be randomized. One-shot use only.)

PTERO "PEG-LEG" DARMOUTH

Hello, [Player]. Your game-name is Ptero "Peg" Darmouth. This name will be publicly known and will be used for flavor purposes only. It does not indicate your alignment whatsoever.

You were once a great sorcerer, as powerful as the rest of the people you're accompanying. Through bad luck, however, you lost your right leg in a tussle with imps from the Yandes Mountains. Now you've been regulated as the keeper of the potions for this expedition. Originally you had Apprentice Xelmas to help you out; he's dead now, killed by treacherous hands. You and the rest of the party will have to find the killers and get rid of them before all of you die.

You have the following items in your inventory:

Potion of Great Rejuvenation (Inventory Count: 1)
A powerful potion that grants great healing ability to the one that consumes it.
Ability: Drink Potion (You may consume the potion. For the rest of the phase, you are immune to all killing actions. This action is not affected by sleep deprivation. One-shot use only.)
You have three of this item.

Potion of Great Alertness (Inventory Count: 1)
A powerful potion that allows you to stay awake for long periods of time.
Ability: Drink Potion (You may consume the potion. For the rest of the phase, you are immune to the effects of sleep deprivation. This action is not affected by sleep deprivation. One-shot only.)
You have three of this item.

Burlap Bag (Inventory Count: 0)
A small sack that you can use to carry additional items.
Ability: Carry Items (While in possession of this item, you may either carry one item with an Inventory Count of 2 or less, or you may carry two items with an Inventory Count of 1 each.)

Actions

Day 1

Easjo: Craft Fetish of UncertainKitten (Successful)
ABR: Silent Speech with Easjo (Successful)
Kenman: Recruit Easjo (failed due to Easjo not being the traitor)
VasudeVa: Recruit Me=Weird (failed do to Me=Weird not being the traitor)

Unable to Sleep Day 1
Easjo
ABR
Kenman
VasudeVa

Night 1
Me=Weird: Possess Nikanor (Force him to give up Amulet of Gatos) *
Kenman: Investigate Nikanor (Result: Mafia) *
ReaperCharlie: Resurrect Easjo (Successful) *
Chronopie: Magical Residue on ABR (Result: No magical abilities except MR targeted ABR) *
Farside: Consume Potion of Great Rejuvenation (2 Left) *
VasudeVa: Kill Farside (fails dues to Potion of GR) *

Sleeping
Nikanor (fails due to possession) *

Unable to Sleep Night 1
Me=Weird
Kenman
ReaperCharlie
Nikanor
Chronopie
Farside
VasudeVa
ABR
vIQleS
Pittbunny

Day 2 Actions
Kenman: Recruit Nikanor (Sleep Deprived I RNG: 5) (Successful)
ReaperCharlie: Unrestrained Passion Easjo (Sleep Deprived I RNG: 3) (Randomized)
Randomized Recipient: ReaperCharlie

Day 2 Sleepers
ABR
Chronopie

Unable to Sleep Day 2
Kenman
Nikanor
Pittbunny
VasudeVa
ReaperCharlie
vIQlES
Easjo
Farside
Me=Weird

Night 2 Actions
Me=Weird: Possess Farside (Sleep Deprived I RNG: 4) (Successful)
Me=Weird: Force Farside to Give 1 Potion of Great Alertness and the Burlap Bag (with 2 Potions of Great Rejuvenation)
Farside: Craft Fetish of Pittbunny (Fails due to Possession)
Faside: Give Potion of Great Rejuvenation to Easjo (Fails due to Possession)
VasudeVa: Kill ReaperCharlie (Sleep Deprived I RNG: 5) (Successful)
Chronopie: Magical Residue on Nikanor (Successful)

Night 2 Sleepers
ReaperCharlie
Nikanor
Pittbunny
Easjo
HavingFitz

Unable to Sleep Night 2
Farside
VasudeVa
Kenman
Me=Weird
Chronopie

Sleep Deprivation Level 3
Farside

Potion of Great Alertness
Me=Weird (SD LVL: 3)

Sleep Deprivation Level 0.5
Chronopie

No Sleep Deprivation
Nikanor
Pittbunny
Easjo
Havingfitz

Sleeping Day 3
Kenman
VasudeVa

Day 3 Actions
Me=Weird: Consume Potion of Great Alertness
Farside: Consume Potion of Great Alertness
Pittbunny: Clear Mind on Self (Successful)

Night 3 Actions
Pittbunny: Use Psyweed and Magical Residue on Chronopie and self (successful)
Farside: Consume Potion of Great Alertness (last one)
Fitz: Use Astral Shield (successful)
VasudeVa: Kill Farside (Successful)
Kenman: Investigate Pittbunny (Successful) (Result: Town)

Not Sleeping Night 3
Pittbunny
Farside
Fitz
VasudeVa
Kenman
Easjo
Chronopie

Sleeping Night 3
Nikanor

Sleeping Day 4
Fitz

Not Sleeping Day 4
Everyone Else

Day 4 Actions
Chronopie: Befuddle VasudeVa (SD1 #: 4) (Successful)
Fitz: Black Flame on Chronopie (Successful)

Night 4 Actions
Fitz: Imprint Tracking on Nikanor (Successful) (Result: Nikanor didn't visit anyone.)

Sleeping N4
Ani

Not Sleeping N4
Everyone Else

Day 5 Actions
Fitz: Shroud of Confusion on Nikanor (Successful)

Sleeping D5
Pittbunny (not that it mattered)

(The SD/Sleep Deprived/etc. are the numbers rolled for sleep deprivation. For Level 1, 1-2 = Normal, 3 = Random, 4-5 = Normal, 6 = Failed. For Level 2: 1 & 4 were normal, 2 & 5 were random, and 3 & 6 were fail. For random numbers, a number was rolled from 1-total living players and the position on the player list in the first post determined who was what number.)

Thoughts

1. What did you guys think of the Sleep Cycle? I thought it didn't do too bad, but I definitely need to modify it so I don't have to run 6-day deadlines (I hate deadlines that short). Additionally, I need to give the Mafia at least one shot at avoiding sleep deprivation, or else UK's plan to force everyone to sleep at night would've short-changed the Mafia and the SK.

2. I felt the game went through the queue too fast, and thus some bugs were still present in the system (like how I had to basically resolve a few of the high-tier actions by first-come, first-serve, which wasn't supposed to be the idea). Despite this, the game went better than I fretted it would on Day 1, so that's nice.

3. Psykus Daemonica was definitely too high in IC. Originally it was known as the Visor of Opticus, and it was a tracker/watcher item. When my reviewers told me it was too powerful, I split the item in two. One became Merce's Map, and the other became the Psykus Daemonica. Again, the high IC of the PD was due to rushing things too fast. If there's one thing I learned from this game, it's to slow down and take time to perfect the design.

4. The last game I did I started out with superb flavor as well, but real life issues caused me to limit flavor to lynch and kill scenes only, something I regretted having to do. Thus, I'm really glad that I managed to get through a whole game using a full dose of quality flavor. (To those of you nominating me for a scummy for my flavor: thank you very much!) (Also, the love arc was originally supposed to be with Alicia, but since she got killed off D1 I had to change things a bit.)

5. The primary purpose of this game was to test out mechanics I was interested in using in the future, like the Sleep Cycle and the Item System. Obviously I need to work out some more kinks, but by and large this experiment didn't do too bad.

6. Those of you who stuck with the game, I thank you. Also, thanks for not causing massive replacement issues, like my last game had.

7. There is a possibility that I'll run a sequel to this game (I didn't exactly explain what the point of it was, after all. I tend to leave room in my games for sequel material.) It won't be anytime soon, since I have a whole host of games to run that take precedence, including the oft-delayed Liten sequel, and then I plan on semi-retiring from Mafiascum for awhile. But if you're interested in hearing about a potential sequel, should I make one, feel free to let me know.

Once again, thank you for playing my game!
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #722 (isolation #84) » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:24 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

UK wrote:Lengthening the day will greatly reduce their desire to play though, and probably default people to sleeping at night anyway.
That was why I had to run it with short deadlines in the first place. Now that I have a proof of concept, I'm going to see if I can extend the time to lengths I prefer running with (1-1/2 to 2 weeks, usually). One idea I've been toying with is to use a three-phase system, with morning, afternoon/evening, night. It'll be a little tricky calculating how sleep deprivation comes in, but tri-phase also allows me to run a Deep-South style game (which might help with action resolution), so it's definitely something I'll look into.

Feel free to make suggestions of your own.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #727 (isolation #85) » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:54 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

I thought you guys might be interested in knowing that I wrote 38 standard printer pages of in-thread flavor for this game. That's over 14,000 words. Of course, this doesn't even include the flavor I included with Role and Action Results PMs.

So yeah, definitely did a ton of writing for this game. Now if I could just dedicate all that heavy writing toward my non-mafia story ideas...

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”