Mini 981: Descent into Chaos (Game Over)

SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Mini 981: Descent into Chaos (Game Over)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat May 29, 2010 5:09 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

The Moderators

Primary: SaintKerrigan
Backup: Haylen

The Reviewers

LlamaFluff, ooba, and Haylen

The Living

Spoiler: Game Over
VasudeVa, Theadora Lye,
Renegade Sorceress
, survives and wins the game.

Nikanor, Vastedon Kowrelle,
Treacherous Sorcerer

Kenman, Gaston Hartley,
Renegade Sorcerer

The Dead

Spoiler: Game Over
Haylen, Xelmas Trell,
Guild Apprentice Sorcerer
, had his throat slit in the pre-game

easjo682, Ferdinand Kepples,
Guild Sorcerer
, was lynched on Day 1 (Revived on Night 1)

UncertainKitten, Alicia Tabbernathy,
Guild Sorceress
, was magically strangled on Day 1

Albert B. Rampage, Jules Wescott,
Guild Sorcerer
, was lynched on Day 2

ReaperCharlie, Hyperion Maci,
Guild Sorcerer
, had his throat slit on Night 2

Me=Weird, Abner Jayworthy,
Servant of Xastarte
, was detonated magically (lynched) on Day 3

farside22, Ptero "Peg" Darmouth,
Guild Sorcerer
, had his throat slit on Night 3.

Chronopie, Marya Torr,
Guild Sorceress
, was impaled in the face (lynched) and incinerated on Day 4.

havingfitz
vIQleS
, Jonqin Aldertoss,
Guild Sorcerer
, was mercilessly beaten (lynched) on Day 5.

animorpherv1
easjo682
, Ferdinand Kepples,
Guild Sorcerer
, had his skull bashed into the floor in the endgame.
Pittbunny, Rachella Harlek,
Guild Sorceress
, clumsily fell on the floor and was stabbed to death in the endgame.
Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 29 times in total.
ALMOST ALWAYS BUSY 9-6 CST WEEKDAYS
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat May 29, 2010 5:17 pm

Post by SaintKerrigan »

For the previous two story segments, refer to these links.

Part 1

Part 2

It had been a long, chilly, and mostly uneventful journey to the Cursed Caverns. There were fourteen of us, in total: myself, Abner, Alicia, Hyperion Maci, Gaston Hartley, Rachella Harlek, Marya Torr, Vastedon Kowrelle, Theadora Lye, Ferdinand Kepples, Jules Wescott, Ptero "Peg" Darmouth, and his apprentice Xelmas Trell. Over the course of the trek, we'd shared some stories, chuckled over amusing mishaps (Rachella falling into the Snake River while trying to get a drink was one that stuck in my mind), but all the while a sense of seriousness remained settled over the party. This was an ancient daemonic artifact we were dealing with, after all. Who knew what awaited us within those halls of stone...

On the fourteenth day of the trek, we arrived at the mouth of the Cursed Caverns. Nestled at the base of Chyren Mountain, the darkness seemed to seep out from within, with one hand trying to frighten you out of your mortal mind, and with the other hand beckoning you to enter in and discover its dark secrets. I shivered, and not from the cold.

Don't worry, Santas. You've got twelve sorcerers and an apprentice to protect you. Things will be fine. Besides, you need the money.

"So what do you think?" Abner had come up beside me. "As foreboding as you imagined it?"

"Worse," I replied. "But that's what you guys are here for, right?"

He chuckled. "Don't worry, Santas, we'll keep you alive."

Alicia walked up to us. "Should we go in yet?" she asked Abner. "The rest of us are waiting.

Abner looked at me, and I shrugged. "We can at least go in a little, see what it feels like," Abner answered. "Tell Xelmas he needs to stay with the supply wagon, though."

Alicia nodded, and trotted off. I still had a hard time taking my eyes off her, magic or no.

"Look at it this way," Abner remarked. "At least you haven't seen her naked. Then she's impossible to get out of your mind."

I laughed. "I'll bet."

"Well, I'll go get the others," said Abner.

"Okay. I'll go get something to eat from the supply cart," I responded.

Abner nodded, and we went our separate ways. The food cart was close by, but at the moment only the mule was keeping it company.
Where's Peg?
I thought.
He should be keeping watch over the cart.

I pushed the curiosity out of my mind and rummaged through the cart for some traveler's bread. Upon finding a square, I took it out and nibbled away at it. It was a small, compact bread, which made it ideal for sojourners of long distances. It even managed to taste halfway decent. Almost like that flatbread pie Viola used to make...

I shook my head vehemently.
The bitch is gone. You're free of her. Get her out of your mind!
I began to imagine what a sensuously nude Alicia would look like instead...

Suddenly, I heard a loud scream, which was suddenly cut off.
What the daemon? What's happening?

The scream came from the direction of the Snake River, and hurriedly I rushed that way, shoving the rest of the traveler's bread into my mouth in the process.

By the time I got to the site of the scream, the others had found their way there as well. Peg was kneeling over a human corpse. I moved in to get a closer look.

It was Xelmas. His throat had been slit open, and was gushing dark red blood all over the front of his blue robes. Dead less than five minutes ago, by my guesswork.

"Damn you filthy bastards!" Peg screamed at the sky. "Damn you to damnation!"

Abner approached Peg. "Did you see who it was?" he asked.

Peg shook his head. "No. But don't you see? It has to be one of you! We're the only people out this far, it can't be anyone else!"

A coldness crept into my mind. If what Peg said was true...then there were traitors in our party. And judging by their treatment of Xelmas, it seemed clear what their intentions were...
Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Mon May 31, 2010 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun May 30, 2010 7:58 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

SaintKerrigan's Mafia Ruleset

Descent into Chaos Variant

Spoiler: Read these carefully, they're very important.
Article I: Chronological System

1. The game-day has two phases: day and night.
2. The game starts on a day phase, which lasts for six days, or until someone is lynched.
3. Once someone is lynched, the twilight sub-phase begins.
3a. The twilight sub-phase ends once the mod has posted a lynch scene.
4. When twilight ends, the night phase begins, which lasts for 72 hours total.
4a. No posting is allowed during the night.
5. Scum may communicate privately during the night via their quicktopic.
5a. Scum may not communicate privately during the day.

Article II: Items and the Inventory

1. The game possesses items.
2. Possession of an item gives the owner the item's associated actions.
3. All players have an inventory.
3a. Most items have an Inventory Cost.
3b. The combined Inventory Cost of your items cannot exceed 6, unless otherwise stated.

Article III: Actions

1. All actions may be submitted during the day or the night phase via PM to the mod.
1a. Once you submit an action during the game-day (day/night phase), you may not submit that same action again until the next game-day, unless otherwise stated.
1b. If a player has more than one item, the player may only submit one action per phase, unless otherwise stated.
1c. A player may not submit an item's action twice in the same phase, unless otherwise stated.
2. All actions are resolved at the end of each phase, according to the game's custom Action Resultion (which is based loosely on Natural Action Resolution).
3. If you have not submitted an action by the end of a particular phase, you will be assumed to have taken
No Action
4. Players may drop items, either voluntarily (by stating
Drop: Item X
in thread or through PM) or through death. The mod will then inform everyone else that the item has been dropped.
4a. Other players may pick up dropped items by stating
Grab: Item X
in the thread.
4b. Once a player has made such a post as described above, an unspecified amount of time will count down. Once this timer runs out, no additional item-grab posts will be considered.
4c. If multiple items are on the ground, players must grab each item individually.
4d. The mod will decide via randomization which of the valid item-grab posters gets the item.
4e. If an item is dropped at the end of the day, you cannot claim the item until the following day.
4f. The mod will not publicly reveal who received the item.
5. Players may also give items to another player by PM-ing
Give Item X to Player Y
to the mod.
5a. If a player does not have enough inventory space for the item, the transfer will not be approved.
5b. If two players give each other items at the same time, the mod will process both give actions at the same time.
5c. The receiving player is not told who gave them the item.
6. If a player acquires a new item that has already been used once that game-day, the player may not use that item until the next game-day.

Article IV: Sleep Cycle

1. The game posses a mechanic called the Sleep Cycle, which affects a player's ability to vote and perform actions.
2. At the start of a phase (within 24 hours after phase start), a player may choose to sleep.
2a. Sleep lasts for three real-life days (or until the end of the phase, whichever comes first), and removes all adverse effects caused by not sleeping for long periods of time.
2b. A sleeping player may not post or submit any action while sleeping.
2c. If you submit an action, make a post, or wait longer than 24 hours before you inform the mod that you wish to sleep, you forfeit the option to sleep during that phase.
3. For two consecutive phases, the Sleep Cycle does not affect a player at all.
3a. If a player stays awake for more than two consecutive phases, there is a small chance that the player's votes and actions will be either randomized or fail to occur.
3b. After four consecutive phases without sleep, the chance of the above events occurring greatly increases.
3c. Once six consecutive phases without sleep have passed, the player must sleep through the entire next phase.
4. If an action fails to occur on account of the Sleep Cycle, the action still counts as being used up.

Article V: Voting

1. During the day, you may place votes on a person using this format:
Vote: Player X
1a. Unvotes are not required, but are very helpful.
2. When a player receives a number of votes equal to half the total number of people able to vote plus one, that player will be lynched.
3. If the deadline has passed and no one has received more than half the total votes, no one will be lynched.
4. If players are asleep during the day cycle, they will be out of the game for vote count purposes. Thus, the number of votes it takes to lynch may decrease because of this.

Article VI: Twilight

1. Votes and unvotes will not be counted during twilight.
2. The lynchee may continue to talk during this time, as well as any other living player.
3. Actions may not be submitted during Twilight.

Article VII: Activity

1. If a player has not posted within 48 hours, they will be prodded.
2. Failure to reply to the prod in thread (or by PM during the night) in 24 hours will result in replacement of that player.
3. If a player has received a total of two prods and is in need of another prod, they will be automatically replaced.

Article VIII: Capital Offenses

1. Do not quote your Role or Item PM.
2. Do not use invisible text, codes, cryptography, etc.
3. If you have the power to edit your posts, don't.
4. Do not insult other players personally.
5. Do not test the mod by experimenting to see what he considers a personal insult.
Dark Red
is the mod's color. Don't use it.
7. Do not talk about ongoing games.
8. Do not quote any QuickTopics you may have access to, unless the mod has given you permission.
9. Do not violate the spirit of the game.
10. If any of these offenses in Article VIII are committed, the first action taken will be a warning against the player (unless the rule infraction results in a damaging of the game, in which case modkill will occur).
11. Any further offenses committed will result in one of three things: a sterner warning, forced replacement, or a modkill, to be determined at the mod's discretion.
12. Modkill means you are removed from the game and autolossed.

Article IX: Miscellaneous

1. The mod has the final say on any issue.
1a. However, the mod can make mistakes. If he does, please point them out either in a PM or in thread.
2. If something is missing from this ruleset, do not exploit the loophole. Instead, point it out to the mod so it can be corrected. Taking advantage of a loophole will result in a modkill.
3. If you need any help, or have questions, or just want to talk in general, feel free to PM the mod.
3a. This does not mean the mod is obligated to answer any of your questions.
4. In some games, dead people can talk. Unless stated otherwise, you may not do so here (bah posts are allowed).
5. The mod reserves the right to edit this ruleset as he deems necessary.
6. Flavor is simply flavor. Speculate things about it at your own peril.

Article X: The Most Important Rule of All

1. Remember, this is a game. Don't forget to have fun!

Here is a Sample Town PM

Hello, [Player]. Your game-name is
[game-name]
. This name will be publicly known and will be used for flavor purposes only. It does not indicate your alignment whatsoever.

[Flavor]

You are a
Guild Sorcerer
. Your alignment is
Town

[Item Details Follow]

You win when no threats to the party (town) remain.
Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 14 times in total.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun May 30, 2010 8:00 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Role PMs will be going out shortly...
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun May 30, 2010 9:39 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

All Role PMs have been sent. I will unlock the thread and start the game once I have ten out of twelve confirmations. Additionally, farside22 is on V/LA until Tuesday.

P.S. If you fail to confirm your Role PM by Tuesday at 9:00 a.m. CST, you will be replaced. (Farside is exempt from this due to her V/LA)
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 4:54 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Eleven people have confirmed. Unlocking the thread now.

Everyone glanced tentatively at each other. Who among them was a killer? Could anyone be trusted? I started to wonder if joining this expedition had been such a good idea. Money's no good to you if you're dead...

"We obviously can't go into the Cursed Caverns yet," Abner declared. "Not when we're afraid of having a knife plunged into our backs. There's only one thing left to do."

It quickly dawned on the rest of us what he was talking about. Rachella didn't quite get it, though. "What's that?" she asked innocently.

Abner stared at her. "We vote as a group to execute one of us. We do this every day until we're sure there's no traitors left in our party."

Rachella's eyes widened. "Execute...oh, my! Gods help us!"

Indeed,
I thought solemnly.
Gods help us all...

Vote Count 1.0

Not Voting: vIQleS, ReaperCharlie, Albert B. Rampage, VasudeVa, Nikanor, Chronopie, Pittbunny, Kenman, easjo682, Me=Weird, UncertainKitten, farside22

With 12 players alive, it takes 7 votes to lynch.
Deadline is Sunday, June 6th, 2010 at 11:00 a.m. CST.
Last edited by SaintKerrigan on Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 5:15 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

The ruleset has been modified.

Article III: Actions

4e. If an item is dropped at the end of the day, you cannot grab the item until the following day.
VasudeVa
VasudeVa
Mafia Scum
VasudeVa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 5:22 am

Post by VasudeVa »

/in because I have never been in a not-replaced-in game where /in isn't in my first post.

Let's start with a mass claim.

I weigh 52 kilograms.
Call me Vas, ;D A little less active than I used to be due to IRL. Hoping to be back up to speed soon-ish!
UncertainKitten
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
Maid In Japan

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 5:58 am

Post by UncertainKitten »

@VasudeVa: How dare you ask a women about her mass!

I'd vote you for it but Saint Kerrigan is obvious scum. He knows who the scum are and REFUSES TO TELL US!

Vote Saint Kerrigan

Also an idea I had: Do you think we should all synchronize sleep cycles or would that be too dangerous? And if we do synchronize sleep cycles, do we want to try to make the game nightless?

Clearly Me and Vasu aren't sleeping for this phase. If you ARE planning to sleep now, don't forget you have to not post and such.
"Never have I seen anybody glorify their own lynch."
-StrangerCoug

Internet Mafia
is probably never going to happen. You all probably knew that.
Me=Weird
Me=Weird
Mafia Scum
Me=Weird
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 6:15 am

Post by Me=Weird »

Vote: VasudeVa
for using a slash twice.
Show
"Me=Weird did the best "I'm a power role but I'm not going to get targeted" play I think I've ever seen." - Amished

Mini 1267, a 9p Mini Normal is Day 1, page 4.

Cheese Mafia: a 25p(?) large theme about a big corporation buying up all the little individual cheese sellers.
On hold for lack of reviewers. PM me!
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 6:46 am

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

SaintKerrigan wrote:Albert nodded, and we went our separate ways.
Something on your mind, Kerrigan?
*facepalm* Fixed that.

My character's name is an alias. He shall henceforth be referred to as Deathwing.
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
Kenman
Kenman
Goon
Kenman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 7:24 am

Post by Kenman »

vote uncertainkitten

Didnt you read the story?, obviously he's Santas and was exploring the cave when
Xelmas was killed lol. Therefore it couldnt have been him. Plus theres no was a scribe could kill a guild scorcerer- no offence SK.
I sense a modkill incoming to demonstrate proof of power...lol jk ;)
Show
You are my new heropimp. After this game I DEMAND you put my recognition of your heropimp status in your sig.
- SerialClergyman

Town- 1-0
Mafia- 1-0
UncertainKitten
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
Maid In Japan

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 7:26 am

I don't tend to read flavor.

Even so, SK is clearly mechanically scum, whether you believe me or not.

In fact, I bet you're his SCUMBUDDY :O!
-StrangerCoug

Internet Mafia
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 7:28 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Bah, I goofed on the deadline...

The correct deadline is Sunday, June 6th, 2010 at 11:00 a.m. CST.

I should also add that occasionally I like to edit things into your posts, whether they be answers to questions or just bits of humor. If you don't want me to do this to your posts, please say so.

And finally, because I forgot to say this elsewhere, flavor has nothing to do with alignments and items and whatnot.
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 7:39 am

Post by Nikanor »

VASTEDON. I sound like some kind of dinosaur.

ABR: I'll call you Darkwing Duck.
I am in the bottom 10% of scumhunters onsite!
Kenman
Kenman
Goon
Kenman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 7:40 am

Post by Kenman »

Maybe you know SK is scum cuz it says in your pm!!!. I think YOU ARE HIS SCUM BUDDY.
Show
You are my new heropimp. After this game I DEMAND you put my recognition of your heropimp status in your sig.
- SerialClergyman

Town- 1-0
Mafia- 1-0
UncertainKitten
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
Maid In Japan

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 7:44 am

So, while RVS is all well and good, I find it quite odd no one has commented on my sleep cycle strategy.

May I ask why?
-StrangerCoug

Internet Mafia
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 7:47 am

Post by Nikanor »

I agree with it. I didn't comment on it because I got so excited about being a dinosaur that I forgot. :(
And I seriously think that we should lynch anyone who chooses to sleep today.

So does everyone agree to sleep through night three?
UncertainKitten
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
Maid In Japan

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 7:52 am

So does everyone agree to sleep through night three?
Why just night three?
-StrangerCoug

Internet Mafia
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 7:54 am

Post by Nikanor »

Because that's the longest we can go without sleep before getting random, and because we'll be able to tell if someone didn't sleep because their voting will be random.
UncertainKitten
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
Maid In Japan

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 7:58 am

Because that's the longest we can go without sleep before getting random, and because we'll be able to tell if someone didn't sleep because their voting will be random.
Interesting strategy. The one I advocated was sleeping every night, but that DOES effectively make it so that we are guaranteed to not have a kill every three nights unless scum are stupid.

Meh...I still think there are better ways to use the sleep cycle though.
-StrangerCoug

Internet Mafia
UncertainKitten
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
Maid In Japan

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 7:59 am

Hmm...thinking on it I think that "everyone sleeping N3" might not be very verifiable, and easy for scum to get around since non killing scum could sleep early and then do the N3 hit, so we'd only be screwing up our power roles N3...I think?
-StrangerCoug

Internet Mafia
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 8:04 am

Post by Nikanor »

Oh, that's true.
We could all go without sleep until n4 and then we'd be able to prove that both a) nobody slept early. We could test this through the vote randomizing, and b) Everyone slept through n4. We could test this by vote randomness, again.

Actually, I just realised that we should have vote randomness on d3. So we can test the randomness of votes then to make sure nobody is cheating by sleeping early.
UncertainKitten
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
Maid In Japan

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 8:06 am

Well, actually, reading it, if we all stay up until N3, then EVERYONE will be forced to sleep D4, and should we agree to this course of action, anyone awake is obvious scum.

However, is the cost really worth it?
-StrangerCoug

Internet Mafia
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2010 8:15 am

Post by Nikanor »

I thought that by phase, he meant a day/night cycle. In fact, I could have sworn it had said day/night cycle before.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”