Newbie 955 - Game over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
sailorpallas
sailorpallas
Townie
sailorpallas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2010 12:32 pm

Post by sailorpallas »

kingcod (1) Adaham
Valkyrie (3) MrSandman, AdumbroDeus, sailorpallas
MrSandman (3) Hoopla, RayFrost, kingcod
sailorpallas (1) LobsterCatapult
(No vote) Valkyrie
9 alive; 5 votes lynch.
MrSandman wrote:
sailorpallas wrote:unfourtanatley yes the reason i chose valk is that they came in late(which means that they could have been watching and waiting the entire time) my problem is that the same reasoning can be used against me D: but(and this was not on you because you reasoning makes sense) people without a reason who change there votes always strike me as suspicious
This makes absolutely no sense. From what I gather you voted for Valk for something you admit you did yourself. Please explain what makes you any better.
i can´t i can only give my reason for voting in that way and(i only mentioned as it is bloody obvious that i am hypocritical in a way for voting as such) though it does make me seem more guilty why didn´t i choose a person who more people are voting on or lynching? i only wanted to clarify that yes my reason implicates me but one still has to think on it
yellow is a pigment of your imagination
sailorpallas
sailorpallas
Townie
sailorpallas
Townie
Townie

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2010 12:33 pm

Post by sailorpallas »

LobsterCatapult wrote:sorry i meant adaham's posts, not sailors.

ok, i guess i see what you are saying sailor, but at the same time, it was only about a day into the game...and arent days 3 weeks? i suppose im used to watching slower paced games, but i dont see yours, or valks delayed posts as too suspecious yet....

your vote w/o explination real quick just seemed suspecious...idk, though i do agree on your view of vote changing, do you mean in regards to mr sandman or in general?
in genreal i have yet to form a strong opinion on the people in this game but still its better to be wary than accusing someone really fast
yellow is a pigment of your imagination
MrSandman
MrSandman
Townie
MrSandman
Townie
Townie

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2010 12:50 pm

Post by MrSandman »

sailorpallas wrote:
MrSandman wrote:
LobsterCatapult wrote:<b> unvote

vote:sailorpallas</b>

sailorpallas comes across as more likely to be mafia than adaham at this point,
reading over his posts
, and i'd like a reason for sailors vote, as well as an explination on just got on to vote...it seems like he doesn't intend on adding substance, only a vote, to posts to me.
You mean post? At time of this sailorpallas had but one message. It was just a seemingly random vote however but still, this comes off a bit stranger in my eyes.
i had merely taken it for a typo(easy enough as it should be a bit more strange not a bit stranger[ i to talk i typo hardcore]) the question is why a target at me instead of question both me and valk coming on
Why are you defending LobsterCatapult?

Also I did inquire about Valk's post. It's just that you took it to the next level and voted with nothing behind it. Not even an I agree with. This isn't page one. "I Just got on the vote" also rubbed me the wrong way. I assumed you just wanted to get a random vote in or something for your first post but then you go on to say it was because she came in late.

You came in later.

Quesion: Who's #2 on your scum list?
MrSandman
MrSandman
Townie
MrSandman
Townie
Townie

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2010 12:53 pm

Post by MrSandman »

sailorpallas wrote:i can´t i can only give my reason for voting in that way and(i only mentioned as it is bloody obvious that i am hypocritical in a way for voting as such) though it does make me seem more guilty why didn´t i choose a person who more people are voting on or lynching? i only wanted to clarify that yes my reason implicates me but one still has to think on it
Is there anyway you can type a little bit cleaner? I'm having trouble understanding your points.
Valkyrie
Valkyrie
Townie
Valkyrie
Townie
Townie

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2010 1:04 pm

Post by Valkyrie »

Yeah, that's a bizarre random vote. You're suspecting me because I came into the game late, yet you did the EXACT same thing? I mean, c'mon...

Do you not see the sense of hypocrisy in finding me suspicious because I came late in the game because I was busy when you did the exact same thing?
I won't vote for you quite yet, but I find you very suspicious sailorpallas.
LobsterCatapult
LobsterCatapult
Goon
LobsterCatapult
Goon
Goon

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2010 1:22 pm

Post by LobsterCatapult »

sailorpallas wrote:
kingcod (1) Adaham
Valkyrie (3) MrSandman, AdumbroDeus, sailorpallas
MrSandman (3) Hoopla, RayFrost, kingcod
sailorpallas (1) LobsterCatapult
(No vote) Valkyrie
9 alive; 5 votes lynch.

i can´t i can only give my reason for voting in that way and(i only mentioned as it is bloody obvious that i am hypocritical in a way for voting as such) though it does make me seem more guilty why didn´t i choose a person who more people are voting on or lynching? i only wanted to clarify that yes my reason implicates me but one still has to think on it
you not only managed to be seen as hypocritical, but you also seemed to contradict your reasoning in the second part now that i look at it. you say you dont like people changing votes for no reason in particular, well you did just that, you changed your vote from unvoted to voting for someone without a clear reason in your first post. this looks like foolish reasoning and you come across as someone who is bandwagoning and even though you point to yourself in the same regard as suspicion, you now come across as more suspicious than valk.
ÔÇ£IÔÇÖll do what I can to help yÔÇÖall. But, the gameÔÇÖs out there, and itÔÇÖs play or get played. That simpleÔÇØ ÔÇô Omar
~LC
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2010 4:17 pm

Post by Hoopla »

Someone explain to me why Valkyrie has three votes? The universe doesn't make sense.
MrSandman
MrSandman
Townie
MrSandman
Townie
Townie

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2010 4:32 pm

Post by MrSandman »

Hoopla wrote:Someone explain to me why Valkyrie has three votes? The universe doesn't make sense.
Care to explain to the newbies on why this is a problem my inexperienced challenged comrade?

I suppose you're right though,
Unvote
. Too early for L - 2.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2010 4:35 pm

Post by Hoopla »

MrSandman wrote:
Hoopla wrote:Someone explain to me why Valkyrie has three votes? The universe doesn't make sense.
Care to explain to the newbies on why this is a problem my inexperienced challenged comrade?

Unvote
. Too early for L - 2.
It isn't a problem - I generally favour one or two people hovering close to lynch. I just want to know the reasons from those voting her.
LobsterCatapult
LobsterCatapult
Goon
LobsterCatapult
Goon
Goon

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2010 4:35 pm

um....what is L-2? does this refer to the difference in votes it takes to lynch someone?
ÔÇ£IÔÇÖll do what I can to help yÔÇÖall. But, the gameÔÇÖs out there, and itÔÇÖs play or get played. That simpleÔÇØ ÔÇô Omar
~LC
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2010 4:36 pm

Post by Hoopla »

LobsterCatapult wrote:um....what is L-2? does this refer to the difference in votes it takes to lynch someone?
It literally means 'lynch minus 2'. Two votes away from that person being lynched. You'll see 'L-1' being mentioned in a lot of games.
LobsterCatapult
LobsterCatapult
Goon
LobsterCatapult
Goon
Goon

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2010 4:45 pm

oh, gotcha..thats what i thought but i wasnt sure.i guess this is the best game to learn the terms XD
~LC
MrSandman
MrSandman
Townie
MrSandman
Townie
Townie

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2010 4:47 pm

Post by MrSandman »

LobsterCatapult wrote:oh, gotcha..thats what i thought but i wasnt sure.i guess this is the best game to learn the terms XD
The Mafiascum wiki is a great place to learn the abbreviations and terms.

http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2010 7:06 pm

Post by RayFrost »

MrSandman wrote:

Unvote
. Too early for L - 2.
lol

This, my dear townies, is an example of scum bowing out of a vote for little reasoning as soon as he's questioned about the why of his vote.
don't you feel silly now?
kingcod
kingcod
Goon
kingcod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Fri May 14, 2010 8:27 am

Post by kingcod »

Adaham wrote:Both your questions sound like more fishing to me. .
Thus is the inevitable fate of every question posed to the whole of town. No one has to answer, and they are just there as a prompt to stimulate useful discussion. If you don't find them useful just don't answer. They are random questions.
Adaham wrote:Considering we´re out of the joking stage
We are? Are you keen to lynch someone or something?
Adaham wrote:Only reason for your question Nr. 2 that I can think of, is that you are trying to figure out who has the most credit amongst the village and join that persons cause - sums up to me as fishing, bandwagoning and another instance of potential buddying up.
No. See above. There are plenty of other reasons why someone might remark on the capabilities of their fellow townies.

As it happens I agree with Sandman that Hoopla has been hunting pretty well (e.g. post 35) but as you can see by voting patterns I'm not buddying up. Also Adaham has been hunting pretty wide and comprehensively. Its therefore a pity Adaham got it wrong voting on me!

Just a quick comment on SailorPallas - this doesn't look like scum playing and Sandman's tunnelling of SailorPallas is in itself more scummy. SP - if I said you looked like you had made a newbie slip or two I hope you won't be offended.
Town: 2W/1L
Scum: 0W/0L

"when two events happen simultaneously pertaining to the same object of enquiry we must always pay strict attention"
AdumbroDeus
AdumbroDeus
Goon
AdumbroDeus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Fri May 14, 2010 9:40 am

Post by AdumbroDeus »

Valkyrie wrote:Sorry about that, I've been busy with school. :)

Lurkers die quickly, if you're not posting with reasonable regularity you're probably ending up dead.

Hoopla wrote:
MrSandman wrote:

Unvote
. Too early for L - 2.
It isn't a problem - I generally favour one or two people hovering close to lynch. I just want to know the reasons from those voting her.

Personally, it was because she hadn't posted yet. Now I've got a scummy target, so no reason to prod for now.

Unvote

Vote: Sailorpallas

sailorpallas wrote:unfourtanatley yes the reason i chose valk is that they came in late(which means that they could have been watching and waiting the entire time) my problem is that the same reasoning can be used against me D: but(and this was not on you because you reasoning makes sense) people without a reason who change there votes always strike me as suspicious
So not even inactivity, that Valk came in late... that's a ridiculous reason and seems to put you in the "dumb or scum" category.

By your own admission, your reasoning applies to you, why shouldn't we lynch you?
Adaham
Adaham
Townie
Adaham
Townie
Townie

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Fri May 14, 2010 10:05 am

Post by Adaham »

kingcod wrote: Thus is the inevitable fate of every question posed to the whole of town. No one has to answer, and they are just there as a prompt to stimulate useful discussion. If you don't find them useful just don't answer. They are random questions.
I don´t know whether posing random questions (as you admit yourself) is really a good way of stimulating "useful discussion", it could be much more of a distraction maneuver. Also I don´t think that posing questions to the whole village is bound to be vague and fishy as I felt your questions were.
If you would ask very specifically everybodies opinion on another player, or at least who they think is scummiest, I´d be more inclined to see it as a useful stimulus. You could argue I´m nitpicky, but while you are trying to be active, I doubt the sincerity of your means.
We are? Are you keen to lynch someone or something?
No, keen to get real discussion going a.s.a.p. We have a deadline anyway, we should use our time wisely. Leaning back (as we have 3 weeks to decide) only gets the pace down, leads to inactivity and thus a cloak for lurking scum. Again, I´m a bit surprised to see that while "trying to initiate useful discussion", your means are skewed. You are posing "random questions" while believing we´re still in the joking stage. There´s quite some discussion going on already, and so it seems you are not too much concerned on what´s going on out there, but to leave a townie impression. Only reason for you to do that would be you being scum.
No. See above. There are plenty of other reasons why someone might remark on the capabilities of their fellow townies.
As I write above, obviously we disagree on some things. There are plenty of other reasons, but Mafia (especially on day 1), is anyway one big WIFOM. This means I mostly trust my gut for now, and my gut didn´t like some of the things I stated. Some of your contributions seem sound, though, I don´t neglect that, but it´s the fact that you are "almost doing the right thing" that makes me suspicious.
As it happens I agree with Sandman that Hoopla has been hunting pretty well (e.g. post 35) but as you can see by voting patterns I'm not buddying up. Also Adaham has been hunting pretty wide and comprehensively. Its therefore a pity Adaham got it wrong voting on me!
1. Thanks!
2. ZOMG!!!BUDDYING UP!!!

Which one it be? ;-)
Just a quick comment on SailorPallas - this doesn't look like scum playing and Sandman's tunnelling of SailorPallas is in itself more scummy. SP - if I said you looked like you had made a newbie slip or two I hope you won't be offended.
Here´s one of the things I actually really agree with you. When I see top of the page that we´ve got two L-2 wagons, then I´m pretty sure the scum is probably having a vote on one of each. While writing this, I actually see with great concern that AdumbroDeus has changed the wagon, after being already on the safe side with his "calling out vote" on Valkyrie.

Of all people playing, I see SailorPallas as the one that has the most "Newbie"-air around himself. He comes in clanging clumsily and behaves a bit naive in general. Please don´t take this insulting, but I´ve seen plenty of really new players come in like that as innocents. Before they catch the drift of the game (or sometimes it´s just their style), they are usually lynched. Noob-Scum makes other mistakes, or so my gut says.

I believe the Scummies are very happy a lynchable, self-incriminating target has stepped upon the stage and they are trying to get the bandwagon rolling. This means that Lobster and Adumbro have risen considerably on my list of suspects. As it is good not to get tunnel-vision, and while my suspicion partially remains on kingcod, I´m going to move my vote.

vote: AdumbroDeus

His "pressure vote" on Valkyrie was the second vote, and considering Val hadn´t even checked in, it was a nice place in between. Nobody is going to call him out on that, but SailorPallas stepped into the trap and got all the attention for the third vote (the reason being pretty much the same as Adumbros, just uttered from the wrong mouth). His ways of scumhunting seem to be looking for easy bandwagons and as he admitted in his latest post, "he´s now got a scummy target", which probably means he´s serious about his vote.

Last, but not least, he´s got no Avatar :wink: [/quote]
Adaham
Adaham
Townie
Adaham
Townie
Townie

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Fri May 14, 2010 10:07 am

Post by Adaham »

sorry, forgot to

unvote
MrSandman
MrSandman
Townie
MrSandman
Townie
Townie

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Fri May 14, 2010 12:18 pm

Post by MrSandman »

RayFrost wrote:
MrSandman wrote:

Unvote
. Too early for L - 2.
lol

This, my dear townies, is an example of scum bowing out of a vote for little reasoning as soon as he's questioned about the why of his vote.
It was a page one joke vote.
AdumbroDeus
AdumbroDeus
Goon
AdumbroDeus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Fri May 14, 2010 12:50 pm

Post by AdumbroDeus »

Adaham wrote:
Here´s one of the things I actually really agree with you. When I see top of the page that we´ve got two L-2 wagons, then I´m pretty sure the scum is probably having a vote on one of each. While writing this, I actually see with great concern that AdumbroDeus has changed the wagon, after being already on the safe side with his "calling out vote" on Valkyrie.

Of all people playing, I see SailorPallas as the one that has the most "Newbie"-air around himself. He comes in clanging clumsily and behaves a bit naive in general. Please don´t take this insulting, but I´ve seen plenty of really new players come in like that as innocents. Before they catch the drift of the game (or sometimes it´s just their style), they are usually lynched. Noob-Scum makes other mistakes, or so my gut says.

I believe the Scummies are very happy a lynchable, self-incriminating target has stepped upon the stage and they are trying to get the bandwagon rolling. This means that Lobster and Adumbro have risen considerably on my list of suspects. As it is good not to get tunnel-vision, and while my suspicion partially remains on kingcod, I´m going to move my vote.

His "pressure vote" on Valkyrie was the second vote, and considering Val hadn´t even checked in, it was a nice place in between. Nobody is going to call him out on that, but SailorPallas stepped into the trap and got all the attention for the third vote (the reason being pretty much the same as Adumbros, just uttered from the wrong mouth). His ways of scumhunting seem to be looking for easy bandwagons and as he admitted in his latest post, "he´s now got a scummy target", which probably means he´s serious about his vote.

Last, but not least, he´s got no Avatar :wink:
[/quote]

Honestly, how are either of us tunneling sailor?

We both seemed to have arrived to the conclusion that Sailor's logic is poor, and that is a scumtell. One other person is not a safe wagon, and "weak targets" seems to translate to you as "people with scumtells".

Regardless, even if Sailor is just a weak player at the end of the day, weak players are bad for town, especially in lylo, so scum is obviously top priority, but weak players are there too, failing a good choice for clearly scum. Of course inactives have priority over simply weak players cause the town cannot win with them.

Still, the day is young, at this point I just wanna see how Sailor responds, it's too early to have a preferred lynch.

Your post implies you had a similar purpose with me, so I'll take it as scumhunting.
LobsterCatapult
LobsterCatapult
Goon
LobsterCatapult
Goon
Goon

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Fri May 14, 2010 3:02 pm

Adaham wrote:

Which one it be? ;-)

Last, but not least, he´s got no Avatar :wink:
[/quote]

i dont see how i was starting a bandwagon...its not like i was like....whoa dudes, lets lynch! i was merely pointing out that i didnt like his first post, it came across as scummy, i wanted to see his reasoning. I didnt like his reasoning, because it just kinda all contradicted itself and seemed jumbled, like perhaps he was just bandwagoning with a scum.

ive taken your views into consideration, honestly, i see where you are getting at with him just probably being a newb like me, it just was very strange and really stuck out and i decided to switch my vote, and i think ill stick with it for now because no one else is really as suspecious and id still like to hear from him about my last post. however, there are 2 reasons why i think that he might not be scum

1) when i asked him if about the voting without reason, and in regards to mr sandman, i think if he was scum he could have said yes in regards to mr sandman specifically, and that he might have lead an attack or something to deflect off himself, instead he just went in general.

2) i think that also the fact that he is being hypocritical points to more of him being new to the game rather than him being scum because perhaps his scum friend would help him out?

i am familiar with the "tunnelling" aspect of the game, and i honestly didnt think that a few post exchanges could be considering tunneling, i mean, im trying to look into everyone here

i think mr sandman was jumping to a bit of a conclusion that sp was defending me when he interpreted my post as a typo, i mean, i think thats a pretty weak argument that simply thinking i typoed is defending me, not content i actually posted.

to king cod i honestly dont like the broad questions townie questions either, i suppose for 2 reasons, i dont really see why i would answer something like that, it feels like you are asking for information you may not want to say yourself, i dont know if thats true with you or not, but ive seen people do that in other games where its been the case. the other, idk, i feel like...its a bit less fun? i know we take the game seriously, and the object of the game is find and lynch scum before they confuse or nk us, but i feel like the bantering back and forth with personal direct questions is more...fun than simply all of town answering a question from one person.

i also, responding to you, isnt it possible or probable for SP to be both a newb and a scum with those posts? i mean, i could see a newb mafia saying both things, i mean, his posts obviously dont seem as experienced as yours or hooplas or even ray frosts...but that doesnt mean he is only newb, that being said, im not trying to imply that you think he coudln't be scum, you just didnt seem to indicate that he could be both.

also, in regards to king cod's posts about joking, ive also seen mafia games go through a longer humorous stage than this, so, i could see where he is coming from, and even though we are having discussion now, i dont think its unreasonable to think that people are just adjusting to the....maturity of this game perhaps? :-P

i might not be on much this weekend fyi, ill try to check in tomorrow and anyone asks me questions ill try to respond to them by sunday night :)
~LC
Valkyrie
Valkyrie
Townie
Valkyrie
Townie
Townie

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Fri May 14, 2010 3:46 pm

Post by Valkyrie »

MrSandman wrote:

Thanks. :)

I think Adaham's sentiments make me most suspicious of AdumbroDeus, though I haven't gotten enough suspicion about anyone in particular to commit to a vote just yet.
Valkyrie
Valkyrie
Townie
Valkyrie
Townie
Townie

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Fri May 14, 2010 8:31 pm

Post by Valkyrie »

Sorry for not being too active by the way, but is it just me or is it taking like...SUUUUUPER long to load pages? When I get the time to show up, it takes like ten minutes a page. :(
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Fri May 14, 2010 8:55 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Valkyrie wrote:
MrSandman wrote:

Thanks. :)

I think Adaham's sentiments make me most suspicious of AdumbroDeus, though I haven't gotten enough suspicion about anyone in particular to commit to a vote just yet.
Do you have any 'sentiments' of your own to share?
don't you feel silly now?
kingcod
kingcod
Goon
kingcod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sat May 15, 2010 9:22 am

Post by kingcod »

@LobsterCatapult - I take you point that SP could be scum ... but not for the reasons identified by those voting on him right now. I would need something else to put a vote on SP.

@SailorPallas - can we hear back from you ?

@AdumbroDeus - sorry I don't understand this - can you rephrase?
"Regardless, even if Sailor is just a weak player at the end of the day, weak players are bad for town, especially in lylo, so scum is obviously top priority, but weak players are there too, failing a good choice for clearly scum. Of course inactives have priority over simply weak players cause the town cannot win with them."
Are you suggesting lynching weak townies as a strategy to thin out the choices?
Town: 2W/1L
Scum: 0W/0L

"when two events happen simultaneously pertaining to the same object of enquiry we must always pay strict attention"

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”