Newbie 947 (Game over Scum wins!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2010 2:18 am

Post by jmurph3 »

bemyally wrote:@Jmurph: I did not say that I would not post from here on in, more that I would only post when I 'deem necessary'. Seeing as how my last POV was taken as escalating a vote to L-2, I have merely decided to keep my thoughts to myself until I am sure that people would agree with me, or that I have enough concrete evidence that no one would have an argument against me.

So of course, I will still be posting, but not as often as before. Technically it is viewed as scummy unless you are upfront about it from the start and explaining your reasons for it. There is still a while to go for the end of D1, so we will see what happens.
Again, no matter if you say up front why you're doing it, it will still be seen as scummy. I'm already seeing this as scummy. No matter what your reasons are, and, personally, I don't think they're particularly good reasons - everyone makes mistakes; you should've seen what they did to me my last game! - what you have set yourself up to be doing is not going to be helpful to the town. And I personally think that if you're setting yourself up to be useless to the town, then there's really no point in keeping you around.

On D1, in the event that there's no concrete scum (which, unless someone makes a huge mistake, I doubt there will be), a lynch to get rid of someone who has self-professed herself to be of no use to us is just as good.

@Haylen: my condolences as well.
bemyally
bemyally
Goon
bemyally
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2010 7:38 pm

Post by bemyally »

How have I 'self-professed' that I am of no use?

Go ahead and lynch me if you want :P
The longer I wait, the harder I'm gonna fall.
superdemongob
superdemongob
Townie
superdemongob
Townie
Townie

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2010 8:40 pm

Post by superdemongob »

@BMA:
your confidence is delicious. personally i'm not for lynching you but lets see how it goes.
Free World Domination consultation available.
PM for Details.

[url=http://internetometer.com/give/11684]http://internetometer.com/image/11684.png[/url]
bemyally
bemyally
Goon
bemyally
Goon
Goon

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2010 9:08 pm

Post by bemyally »

Hahaha, my confidence? Now I've just scrapped my silence rule.
Tis too fun to gauge people's emotions/reactions. And it helps draw the scum out.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Mon May 03, 2010 2:40 am

Post by Zachrulez »

2nd vote count of day 1:

superdemogob - 2 (Haylen, Xc0m)
Xc0m - 2 (jmurph3, superdemongob)
Haylen - 1 (Jerbs)
Jerbs - 1 (xSekirei)

Not voting: (dandman999, MichelSableheart, bemyally)

If I made any mistakes, politely point them out as soon as you see them.

Deadline is May 19th at 9am CST
Last edited by Zachrulez on Mon May 10, 2010 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Mon May 03, 2010 2:59 am

Post by jmurph3 »

bemyally wrote:Hahaha, my confidence? Now I've just scrapped my silence rule.
Tis too fun to gauge people's emotions/reactions. And it helps draw the scum out.
Exactly my point. :roll:

Side note, everyone: I will be around very sporadically this week as it's finals for me. So I'm not purposely ignoring y'all, I promise.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Mon May 03, 2010 4:03 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Wacka Alpaca replaces Dandman999 effective immediately.
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Mon May 03, 2010 9:35 am

Post by MichelSableheart »

Again, apologies for my inactivity.

Welcome, Alpaca!

Rereading the first page, Benyally is slightly pinging my scumdar. His suspicions of demongob aren't very well thought out, which, combined with the fact that it was an L-2, gives his post a rather opportunistic feel. His "I think we're going to be great friends" to jmurph also doesn't sit very well with me. And responding to pressure by only posting when it won't draw much suspicion could easily be scum motivated.

Vote: Bemyally
There is no 'a' in Michel.
bemyally
bemyally
Goon
bemyally
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 12:15 am

Post by bemyally »

@MichelSableHeart: I'm a girl :(

@all: I also have assessments starting tomorrow till thurs, but I should be back on Friday. Please do not see my absence as coinciding with anyone elses. *cough*.
Xc0m
Xc0m
Townie
Xc0m
Townie
Townie

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 12:51 am

Post by Xc0m »

Welcome, Alpaca! :)

Notifying, that I'm still here. Personally, I don't find bemyally's behaviour scummy, just because, IMO, the player doesn't have enough experience. I do, however, find demongob's behaviour scummy, because I don't like the reasoning for the 10-minute unvote:
superdemongob wrote:lol,
well, the unvote in ten minutes was because i read more game theory.
see Haylens post about mylo vs lylo.
lol.
tis what happens when you're a n00b.
Well, IMO, it's pretty much self-explanatory, that Mafia has better chances when there is no lynch. Also, I do think, that a person, who votes "No Lynch" on the first day is a newbie scum, trying to disguise himself as a townie. That's all.
Everybody lies.
superdemongob
superdemongob
Townie
superdemongob
Townie
Townie

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 2:43 am

Post by superdemongob »

Xc0m wrote:Welcome, Alpaca! :)

Notifying, that I'm still here. Personally, I don't find bemyally's behaviour scummy, just because, IMO, the player doesn't have enough experience. I do, however, find demongob's behaviour scummy, because I don't like the reasoning for the 10-minute unvote:
superdemongob wrote:lol,
well, the unvote in ten minutes was because i read more game theory.
see Haylens post about mylo vs lylo.
lol.
tis what happens when you're a n00b.
Well, IMO, it's pretty much self-explanatory, that Mafia has better chances when there is no lynch. Also, I do think, that a person, who votes "No Lynch" on the first day is a newbie scum, trying to disguise himself as a townie. That's all.
that stinks of OMGUS but alright, lynch me then.
i'm not trying some weird tactic where you see my confidence and back down, i'm serious. lynch me, waste a lynch OR we can focus on finding real scum.
Free World Domination consultation available.
PM for Details.

[url=http://internetometer.com/give/11684]http://internetometer.com/image/11684.png[/url]
Wacka Alpaca
Wacka Alpaca
Goon
Wacka Alpaca
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 3:32 am

Post by Wacka Alpaca »

Hello everyone!
I'm Wacka Alpaca, and everyone hates me :(
If you don't know who I am, you probably are better off.

On topic now, I just finished reading the whole thread, and will post some analysis soon.
I feel pretty confident that my fresh eyes will allow me to see some things you have all missed.

As for myself, I am not really a noobie at all, infact I have played many games of mafia before, but becuase of site rules, I am still a noobie at MS.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and I hope to have some fun with you all.
"He talked about justice, but nobody stirred. He felt like an outcast, alone in the herd." - Cows With Guns
http://i42.tinypic.com/sc6wp1.png
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 3:33 am

Post by Haylen »

SDG wrote: i'm not trying some weird tactic where you see my confidence and back down,
i'm serious
. lynch me, waste a lynch OR we can focus on finding real scum.
Appeal to emotion - here he tells us that by lynching him we will be wasting a lynch. This is scummy because it makes the town scared of lynching somebody, the town should never be too scared to lynch a person.

"Im serious." I cant remember the proper term for it but it is suspicious when somebody uses 'honestly' or 'im serious' ect
Seriously. Read your role PM before playing.
I am sorry if you have to prod me, I have absolutely no concept of time.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 7:02 am

Post by jmurph3 »

Xc0m wrote:Well, IMO, it's pretty much self-explanatory, that Mafia has better chances when there is no lynch. Also, I do think, that a person, who votes "No Lynch" on the first day is a newbie scum, trying to disguise himself as a townie. That's all.
Personally, I don't find this as scummy as everyone seems to think it is. To a newbie coming in to his first game, it probably seems strange that people are voting straight away, and it makes sense that this person would argue for a no lynch at that point. When I played my first game of Mafia, I didn't know what RVS was, so it's not entirely surprising to me that he said that, realized his mistake once it was pointed out, and changed his vote. Lesson learned.

I also find it slightly ironic that Xc0m doesn't find bemyally scummy because of being a newb, but finds superdemongob scummy for what I see as being a newb tell.

As we are, IMO, getting out of RVS, I will
unvote
until I'm ready to cast a real vote.
Jerbs
Jerbs
Goon
Jerbs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 7:22 am

Post by Jerbs »

just to say I'm still here

I'm mobile right now, il post when I get home
"Those that hammer others are called scum. But I think those who lurk and refrain from voting are worse than scum. If I'm going to be called scum either way, I'd rather hammer! And if that's not being a proper Mafia player, then I'll destroy that idea!"
V/LA on most weekends
Jerbs
Jerbs
Goon
Jerbs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 10:16 am

Post by Jerbs »

Hello Wacka Alpaca

Continuing with what Haylen said, when someone puts "I'm serious" or "Honestly", it implies that they havent been completely honest the whole game. The Mafiawiki is being stupid and not letting me look up the actual name.

Well, I think that voting no lynch during RVS is a newb tell, but i find it a little strange how he quickly unvoted in ten minutes. It just seems like he might have just changed his vote for no reason. His posts were back to back, so nobody could have told him that no lynching was a bad idea. Unless he read the wiki.

But he seemed to try to hide that. Maybe he was hoping for us to overlook it, because he makes no mention of what he just learned, instead saying
superdemongob wrote:acutally, xcom has the fallout guy as his avatar and i didn't really like fallout 3 so...
sorry xcom.
No explanation at all, except for that he didn't like fallout 3

FOS: SDG

and as for now,
Unvote
because it was a random vote, and we are moving out of that stage
"Those that hammer others are called scum. But I think those who lurk and refrain from voting are worse than scum. If I'm going to be called scum either way, I'd rather hammer! And if that's not being a proper Mafia player, then I'll destroy that idea!"
V/LA on most weekends
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 10:39 am

Post by jmurph3 »

Jerbs wrote:Well, I think that voting no lynch during RVS is a newb tell, but i find it a little strange how he quickly unvoted in ten minutes. It just seems like he might have just changed his vote for no reason. His posts were back to back, so nobody could have told him that no lynching was a bad idea. Unless he read the wiki.
EBWOP, thanks for pointing that out, Jerbs. For some reason I thought that someone had mentioned something to him and that was why he changed. Hmmm...I'm still inclined to think it's a newb tell, but that does make it more suspicious for me.

Anyway, I didn't say this earlier, so I'll say it now: Welcome, Wacka Alpaca! I hope to see a content-filled post from you soon.
Wacka Alpaca
Wacka Alpaca
Goon
Wacka Alpaca
Goon
Goon

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 1:19 pm

Post by Wacka Alpaca »

i'm going to have to procrasstinate here again, I am semi-youtube famous, and need to do some work on my projects there.
Check me out if you want, I use the same name on there.

Hopefully... HOPEFULLY, I will get on later tonight, like around... 10 or so PST.

Sorry for the delay, but as we all know (Or I guess the real noobies dont) that catching up on a game in progress is kinda tricky, even if it is only 3 pages.
"He talked about justice, but nobody stirred. He felt like an outcast, alone in the herd." - Cows With Guns
http://i42.tinypic.com/sc6wp1.png
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Tue May 04, 2010 10:53 pm

Post by MichelSableheart »

Xc0m wrote:Also, I do think, that a person, who votes "No Lynch" on the first day is a newbie scum, trying to disguise himself as a townie.
Can you explain this a bit more? If newbie scum would vote no lynch because they believe a pro-town player would vote no lynch in that situation, then why wouldn't town actually vote no lynch?

@demongob: You have to realize that we don't know your alignement. The choice isn't lynch you or leave you alone. If you are being pressured in the game of mafia, especially this early, that's more likely because other players are trying to figure out your alignement then that they are absolutely convinced you're scum. A remark like "lynch me, waste a lynch OR we can focus on finding real scum." therefore isn't very helpful at all.

@Haylen: didn't you say that Appeal to Emotion wasn't a valid scumtell for you? Why do you actually believe it is a scumtell when demongob uses it?

@Jerbs: Is there a reason why you placed a FoS on demongob rather then voted him? You aren't currently voting anyone. Wouldn't a vote make your suspicions much clearer then a FoS?
There is no 'a' in Michel.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Wed May 05, 2010 1:00 am

Post by Haylen »

Michel wrote: @Haylen: didn't you say that Appeal to Emotion wasn't a valid scumtell for you? Why do you actually believe it is a scumtell when demongob uses it?
Because DGB isn't me lol. I gave my reasons for people misreading what I write as appealing to peoples emotions. I know why people find me scummy sometimes and why I'm often mislynched. I don't know about a lot of peoples.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
Jerbs
Jerbs
Goon
Jerbs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Wed May 05, 2010 7:42 am

Post by Jerbs »

@Michel

No, there's not much of a reason. I guess voting him would make it clearer, but i usually don't like to vote someone until i am absolutely sure that he/she is the one i want lynched
V/LA on most weekends
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 5:42 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Bump.

Activity checks coming.
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 5:45 am

Post by jmurph3 »

Zachrulez wrote:Bump.

Activity checks coming.
Can we get a prod on xSekirei? I don't think he's posted for over a week now.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 5:49 am

Post by Zachrulez »

jmurph3 wrote:
Zachrulez wrote:Bump.

Activity checks coming.
Can we get a prod on xSekirei? I don't think he's posted for over a week now.
Done.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2010 6:16 am

Post by Haylen »

Can we get an activity prod on Haylen, too? Just cause, you know, II'm always prodded at least once per game.

I find it interesting that everybody is sheeping around Michel. I am also worried that Michel may be trying to lead the town (because there are sheeps)

FoS Michel

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”