mini 958: Just Another Mafia Problem - GAME OVER!

TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:54 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

hasdgfas wrote:. It wasn't, it was your entire demeanor.
TheButtonmen wrote:I'll give everyone a cookie if the mass quote striping and bullshit arguments stop.
mass quote striping? Example of what you mean and why it's bad please?
Quote striping is what I call it when people do long text broken up my numerous quotes, mainly done to answer a particular point in a post.

[offtopic-theory]
I'll probably make a longer MD post about this but in brief.
Reasons it's bad (imo):
-Promotes long posts.
-Lot's of small quotes rather then a large one means things are taken out of context.
-It lets your response look long while it's really just focusing on a few sentences rather then the post as a whole.
-It promotes people to respond in kind when they try to quote you.
[/offtopic-theory]

Now that MSSK has admitted to active lurking can we get more votes on him?
Shattered Viewpoint
Shattered Viewpoint
Mafia Scum
Shattered Viewpoint
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:58 pm

Post by Shattered Viewpoint »

Buttonmen, I'm not going to get into theory here in a game thread, but I totally think you're wrong.

Well, I do believe I've made it very clear that I can't stand lurkers; but more than that, an outright admission of Active Lurking is one of the scummiest tells around.

unvote

Vote: MafiaSSK
Better than you. Don't doubt me; it won't end well.

Llamarble, summing up my playstyle: "I'm obnoxious wheeee!"
Elias_the_thief
Elias_the_thief
He/Him
Not Statistically Significant
Elias_the_thief
He/Him
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:40 pm

Post by Elias_the_thief »

I realize I haven’t posted too much of worth the past couple days. I hope this makes up for it. This is pretty much how I feel about the behavior of each and every player thus far in the game. But first, here’s a post count, to give my analysis some sort of context. When I say “high activity” or “low activity”, it simply refers to the post count. When I say high or low content, it refers to the percentage of a players posts that I feel are relevant and at least somewhat helpful to finding scum. I realize this is completely subjective, but well, thats mafia.

Post Count
: As of Post 201
Shotty to the Body: 25
Super Awesome...: 23
Elias_the_Thief....: 23
Hasdgfas..............: 19
ShatteredViewpo..: 19
Confidanon...........: 16
The Buttonmen.....: 16
SuperSmashBros..: 15
Rover9000............: 13
JDodge..................: 11
MafiaSSK...............: 8
Socrates.................: 6

Ok so there’s that. By the time we’re at page nine, I’d expect 15 or more posts from everyone playing. Anyone under 10 is just disgraceful. I’d appreciate it if Socrates and JDodge got back in this game. If I recall correctly, JDodge promised a post today. I would love for that to show up sometime soon. Anyhoozle, on to the analysis. I’ll start with the scummiest and work my way down to the neutrals (really, there’s no one that I can confidently say strikes me as town at this point).

The Buttonmen

Medium activity level, low content level.

Buttonmen’s first act of scumminess was evading a simple question from Shotty. He calls it nonsensical and ignores it on this basis. When I call him on “ignoring a question” he denies it and says he was “refusing to apologize”. After I call BS, he changes the story back to “oh, the question made no sense”. He challenges me to explain how he could answer the question. I gladly oblige him. The question asks why he goes out on a limb to defend JDodge. Although Button never expressly said anything along the lines of “Hey! Stop attacking JDodge!”, he DID attack a vote on JDodge. Any old person should at least be able to see where Shotty is coming from, and dismissing his question as nonsensical is well, a cop-out. Despite asking twice for Button to respond to my explanation for Shotty’s question, Button still refuses to answer.

Instead he focuses on “quote-striping” and then attempts to drive home a lurker lynch. I find this scummy because we still have plenty of time left in the day. If lynching lurkers is your thing, well thats a matter of theory. However, going for the lurker lynch right away is just plain anti-town. There’s plenty of scum to find still. If a better lynch doesn’t come up, the lurker lynch will still be right where you left it. Hell, the player might even have come around and started playing. I feel like this behavior is indicative of eagerness to get to night. I have a scum read. My top suspect.

MafiaSSK
:
Low activity level, low content level.

MSSK’s only lengthy and content filled post was, in my honest opinion, a complete joke. He suggests that JDodge is buddying up by using smilies, and uses another players return of a smilie as confirmation of that buddying. Uh...its called being friendly. Refer to my post 164-165 for more on why this analysis was really bad. I mean, he accuses me of paling in comparison to JDodge’s contribution, yet has JDodge as his top suspect for a myriad of reasons that are completely uncompatible with a high level of contribution. The fact that all of these points are stretches is especially interesting, given that MSSK considers trying too hard to look like you’re hunting for scum one of his top scumtells.

I feel that MSSK has been behaving pretty scummily, but there really isn’t much content to tell. The admitting to active lurking point isn’t very strong in my opinion. I’m not even sure what “active lurking” means, though I imagine its somewhat similar to Lurking in Plain Sight. If this is the case, the fact that he admitted to it definitely doesn't make him the only one doing it, or the worst culprit at it. I definitely get a scummy vibe, but I don't think MSSK should be top priority right now.

Rover9000
:
Low activity level, low content level.

Rover seems to be trying very hard to not try very hard. He has been skimming by with very minimal participation and scumhunting. When he does make a post, its usually a good page or two behind relevant discussion, and it usually mimics previously expressed opinions on key points. It seems like this is a real good strategy for coasting through day one and into the night stage. I get a scummy vibe from Mr. Rover, for sure.

Confidanon
:
Medium activity level, low content.

Very few of his posts contain anything useful. Like Rover, many of them mimic points that have already been raised, or simply agree with points made. Very little actual scumhunting going on. I would say that he is slightly less scummy than Rover, simply because he does less mimicking. But I find him pretty scummy.

Shotty to the Body
:
High Activity, medium to low content.

Almost completely and totally tunneled on Buttonmen. He’s scummy and all, but there are other fish in the sea, so to speak. More than one mafia per game. Beyond the attacks on Button, not too much in the terms of scum hunting. His accusation that SSBF is too focused on SAMP is both ironic and hypocritical. I have a neutral-scummy read.

Super Smash Bros Fan
:
Medium activity level, medium content level.

So far, not too many examples of strong scum hunting, though the effort appears to be there, to a certain extent. However, when your top suspects list of grievances includes an OMGUS vote, there’s a problem. Especially an OMGUS vote against you. That just turns the whole case into “No, YOU suck!” I have a neutral-scummy read on SSBF.

JDodge
:
Medium to low activity level, low content.

Really, not much to go on besides the theory discussion. I’m pretty sure that JDodge knows that theory discussion gets us no closer to finding scum, so I find his insistence to the contrary and stubborn refusal to drop the theory pretty suspicious. I have a neutral scummy read for Mr. JD.

Super Awesome Mega Pimp
:
High activity, medium content.

Honestly, I don’t think SAMP is a village idiot, nor do I think he is overly scummy. He’s doing some scumhunting, and he has the ability to back down after discussing points with one of his top suspects, which I generally count as protown. Then again, there’s a such thing as the intentionally weak argument tell, which could apply here. Really, I could go either way. For now, I call him neutral-scummy.

Hasdgfas
:
High activity, medium content.

Seems to actively be looking for scum, though he seems somewhat tunneled on SAMP for the beginning of the game. This is odd because he doesn’t list SAMP as his top suspect. He attacks confidanon for lack of contribution, which I can’t really argue, but this attack leads me to wonder why he doesn’t attack any of the other players who are posting but not adding much. I have a neutral vibe, but I feel that something is off here. I will be reviewing my past game with him (in which he was scum) to give me a better idea later in the game. For now, he remains neutral.

Shattered Viewpoint
:
High activity level, medium content.

Started out strong, but seems to be doing less and less hunting as the day goes on. His vote for MSSK makes sense given the anti-lurker notion he’s expressed all game. But as I said earlier in this post, a lurker lynch this early on is a major waste. I have a neutral read on SV but it’d probably start leaning town if he backed off of SSK long enough to hunt around a little more before settling on that lynch. And I don’t think “pressure wagon” is valid here, to preempt that argument. MSSK is V/LA so we’re really not accomplishing much voting him.

Socrates
:
Extremely low activity, no content.

Post goddammit! Post! When he actually was posting, in the very beginning of the game, he wasn’t very helpful. I have a neutral read on Socrates simply because there’s nothing to analize really.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there you have it. Hope you liked it. If you want further explanation for anything I said, please ask. I encourage you all to tear to shreds the sections I wrote on you. Make me believe that we have someone remotely protown in this game.

That all being said,
unvote, vote: TheButtonmen
I play the games rul gud.
Shattered Viewpoint
Shattered Viewpoint
Mafia Scum
Shattered Viewpoint
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:33 pm

Post by Shattered Viewpoint »

Elias_the_thief wrote:
Shattered Viewpoint
:
High activity level, medium content.

Started out strong, but seems to be doing less and less hunting as the day goes on. His vote for MSSK makes sense given the anti-lurker notion he’s expressed all game. But as I said earlier in this post, a lurker lynch this early on is a major waste. I have a neutral read on SV but it’d probably start leaning town if he backed off of SSK long enough to hunt around a little more before settling on that lynch. And I don’t think “pressure wagon” is valid here, to preempt that argument. MSSK is V/LA so we’re really not accomplishing much voting him.
In my haste to Lynch a LURKER I effectively glossed over the fact that MSSK is on V/LA. Since he won't be here, pressure ain't gonna do no good.

Therefore,

unvote

@Mod: Can Socrates and JDodge be prodded?
Better than you. Don't doubt me; it won't end well.

Llamarble, summing up my playstyle: "I'm obnoxious wheeee!"
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:51 am

Post by Super Smash Bros. Fan »

@Elias the Theif: Very good analysis there. I do disagree at where Super Awesome Mega Pimp is, but yeah.

I also really do agree with MafiaSSK, he has not contributed much to the game.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:24 am

Post by hasdgfas »

Super Smash Bros. Fan wrote:@Elias the Theif: Very good analysis there. I do disagree at where Super Awesome Mega Pimp is, but yeah.

I also really do agree with MafiaSSK, he has not contributed much to the game.
First off, i before e, unless it's a weird word. just a pet peeve of mine, when people spell words like thief wrong.

Secondly, do you have anything to add, or are you just going to say "oh that's good" and leave it at that? If so, it's a completely useless post.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:26 am

Post by hasdgfas »

elias wrote:He attacks confidanon for lack of contribution, which I can’t really argue, but this attack leads me to wonder why he doesn’t attack any of the other players who are posting but not adding much.
by "the other players who aren't adding much", could you explain who you mean, please? It's quite possible that my frustration at seeing confid's lack of content has made me overlook others who have been worse. It's also possible I feel differently about amount of content than you.
Socrates
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:02 am

Post by Socrates »

Mod:
I feel like shit having to say this, but I have inadvertently overburdened my mafia commitments and need to be replaced (I had actually forgotten that I had signed up for this game and had replaced into a game elsewhere, and tried to roll with it when I got my role PM).

:(
Shotty to the Body
Shotty to the Body
Mafia Scum
Shotty to the Body
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:08 am

Post by Shotty to the Body »

I have the most posts in a game? How did this happen?

In other news, I'd take a swipe at one or two of elias points but I don't really see the need. I find it ironic he calls me for tunneling buttonmen and then votes buttonmen, but meh. Whether it' 'tunneling' or not I like to hunt my scum one at a time and then work from there.

Yes I do have some idea of who I might vote besides button, like SSBF. SV pointed out a contradiction I liked somewhere in the past few pages, but I'm pursuing my best lead at the moment.
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest." -Confucius
Super Awesome Mega Zord!
Super Awesome Mega Zord!
Goon
Super Awesome Mega Zord!
Goon
Goon

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:50 pm

Post by Super Awesome Mega Zord! »

TheButtonmen wrote:Now that MSSK has admitted to active lurking can we get more votes on him?
He's posted more analysis than you have.
8-) You can call me Mad Cool Ballin' King! for short. 8-)
Elias_the_thief
Elias_the_thief
He/Him
Elias_the_thief
He/Him

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:33 pm

hasdgfas wrote:
by "the other players who aren't adding much", could you explain who you mean, please? It's quite possible that my frustration at seeing confid's lack of content has made me overlook others who have been worse. It's also possible I feel differently about amount of content than you.
Mainly Rover. And JDodge, who hasn't made good on his promise of a post on Monday.
Shotty wrote: In other news, I'd take a swipe at one or two of elias points but I don't really see the need. I find it ironic he calls me for tunneling buttonmen and then votes buttonmen, but meh. Whether it' 'tunneling' or not I like to hunt my scum one at a time and then work from there.

Yes I do have some idea of who I might vote besides button, like SSBF. SV pointed out a contradiction I liked somewhere in the past few pages, but I'm pursuing my best lead at the moment.
That second part there was what I was looking for. Its not ironic at all that I vote you for tunneling Button, because the tell there is
tunneling
. Not voting Button. Tunneling is scummy because its a good way to look like you're hunting scum while remaining noncommittal about the majority of the game. I was hoping to see more detail on who else you found scummy or protown, and a brief reason why. Even doing that little bit gets more information out there, without really sidetracking you significantly from your top suspect.
ConfidAnon
ConfidAnon
Mafia Scum
ConfidAnon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:41 pm

Post by ConfidAnon »

Me, 197 wrote:By your requirements, what will I have to do to be deemed useful?
Has, I want you to answer this (not asking to be a smartass, but I want to improve my play, and learn from your answer.)

Also, good analysis Elias.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #212 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:26 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

ConfidAnon wrote:
Has, I want you to answer this (not asking to be a smartass, but I want to improve my play, and learn from your answer.)
Analyze. I haven't seen any of that, just vaguely game-related comments. Take what people say and look into it. I've seen a lot of piggybacking off of what others say and saying things that plenty of others have brought up. Make your own content.
Elias_the_thief
Elias_the_thief
He/Him
Elias_the_thief
He/Him

Post Post #213 (ISO) » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:44 am

ConfidAnon wrote:

I find it kind of odd that you compliment an analysis that implicates you as scummy and essentially useless.
FOS.
Shotty to the Body
Shotty to the Body
Mafia Scum
Shotty to the Body
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #214 (ISO) » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:51 am

Post by Shotty to the Body »

Elias_the_thief wrote:
ConfidAnon wrote:

I find it kind of odd that you compliment an analysis that implicates you as scummy and essentially useless.
FOS.
Buddying much? (I refer to Confid when I say that)
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest." -Confucius
magnus_orion
magnus_orion
Mafia Scum
magnus_orion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #215 (ISO) » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:20 am

Post by magnus_orion »

Votecount 4 (Day 1)

1. ConfidAnon
(1):
hasdgfas

2. Elias_the_thief
(0):
3. hasdgfas
(0):
4. JDodge
(1):
MafiaSSK

5. MafiaSSK
(2):
TheButtonmen
JDodge

6. rover9000
(0):
7. Shattered Viewpoint
(0):
8. Shotty to the Body
(0):
9. Socrates
(0):
10. Super Awesome Mega Pimp!
(2):
rover9000
Super Smash Bros. Fan

11. Super Smash Bros. Fan
(1):
Socrates

12. TheButtonmen
(3):
Shotty to the Body
Super Awesome Mega Pimp!
Elias_the_thief

Not Voting
(2):
ConfidAnon
Shattered Viewpoint

Deadline is May 10, 6:30 PM EST
with 12 alive, it takes 7 to lynch

MafiaSSK V/LA noted
Prodding JDodge and rover9000 as per Rule 16/request
Seeking Replacement for Socrates
Show
Why, yes, I do exist simply to make your life a living hell.
Win-Loss
Town: 10-3
Scum: 5-2
Serial Killer: 0-2
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #216 (ISO) » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:53 am

@Elias The Theif: What do you mean by an neutral-scummy read? Is it that you find me slightly scummy? Please do explain.

And I do have a question here.

There are most likely three scums in the game. As of right now, who do you think they are?

I'll post something more useful after school.
ConfidAnon
ConfidAnon
Mafia Scum
ConfidAnon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #217 (ISO) » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:29 am

Post by ConfidAnon »

Elias_the_thief, 213 wrote:I find it kind of odd that you compliment an analysis that implicates you as scummy and essentially useless. FOS.
A part does not make a whole.

Obviously I would disagree that I am scummy (although I was useless for the first few pages of the game.) The rest of the analysis, however, is a good post.
Elias_the_thief
Elias_the_thief
He/Him
Elias_the_thief
He/Him

Post Post #218 (ISO) » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:09 pm

ConfidAnon wrote:
Elias_the_thief, 213 wrote:I find it kind of odd that you compliment an analysis that implicates you as scummy and essentially useless. FOS.

Obviously I would disagree that I am scummy (although I was useless for the first few pages of the game.) The rest of the analysis, however, is a good post.
Well I'm still confused. If that analysis was good, why are you still not voting? You'd think a "good" analysis would be able to convince you to vote someone.
rover9000
rover9000
Townie
rover9000
Townie
Townie

Post Post #219 (ISO) » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:12 pm

Post by rover9000 »

picking up prod.

very sorry guys, starting tomorrow im active again
Elias_the_thief
Elias_the_thief
He/Him
Elias_the_thief
He/Him

Post Post #220 (ISO) » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:16 pm

Super Smash Bros. Fan wrote:@Elias The Theif: What do you mean by an neutral-scummy read? Is it that you find me slightly scummy? Please do explain.

And I do have a question here.

There are most likely three scums in the game. As of right now, who do you think they are?

I'll post something more useful after school.
Sorry for the double post, missed this. Slightly scummy is correct. If there are three scum, I would say at least one of them is within the first three I listed in my large post. I'm not certain which. Otherwise its hard to say at this point. There are a lot of players who haven't posted enough for me to have any idea
ConfidAnon
ConfidAnon
Mafia Scum
ConfidAnon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #221 (ISO) » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Post by ConfidAnon »

Elias_the_thief wrote:
ConfidAnon wrote:

Well I'm still confused. If that analysis was good, why are you still not voting? You'd think a "good" analysis would be able to convince you to vote someone.
You bring up good points on several players.

I only have one vote.

I don't know where I want it as of right now.
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #222 (ISO) » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:41 pm

@elias_the_theif: Thank you for clarifying this up.

Sorry for not making an more useful post today. I had to exhaust all my energy on another Mafia game. I am fixing to get lynched there, so I had no choice but to do an massive analysis. Yeah, I was a horrible player there.

I promise that I will make an more useful post tomorrow, that is an guaratee.
Elias_the_thief
Elias_the_thief
He/Him
Elias_the_thief
He/Him

Post Post #223 (ISO) » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:49 pm

ConfidAnon wrote: You bring up good points on several players.

I only have one vote.

I don't know where I want it as of right now.
Specifically, which players do you think I have strong points about? Who would you
consider
voting at this point? You seem to be avoiding naming anyone specific that you find scummy, and being noncommittal is very anti-town, if not just plain scummy.

SSBF: Please don't talk about ongoing games. Just saying that you are devoting more time to that game would be sufficient.
rover9000
rover9000
Townie
rover9000
Townie
Townie

Post Post #224 (ISO) » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:12 am

Post by rover9000 »

Elias, please explain to me how my posts have been attempting to coast through the game, or backtracking to previous discussion.

Each post I made attempted to cover my thoughts on the entire game. At the END of my summaries I always commented on a few current issues.

How am I scummy for trying to prevent information from slipping through?

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”