Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Slaxx
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2350 (ISO) » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:21 pm

Post by Slaxx »

When I get my tenure and experience I would love to do a Mafia game after Cormac Mccarthy's The Road, or the movie, or combination. I already have setup written out and everything XD.

Anyone seen that/read that and would be interested?
ooba
ooba
Jack of All Trades
ooba
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2351 (ISO) » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:50 am

Post by ooba »

Planning to hold a mini theme with 12\large theme with 16 players (no complex mechanics - just different roles) for Stardust Mafia - based on the movie (will try and read the book too). Just wanted to check if anyone would be interested?
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2352 (ISO) » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:53 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

I loved the movie (and loved the book a lot more) and might join, but I'm starting a ton of games this week (Modding 2 and Playing 2) so I wouldn't be available any time soon.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #2353 (ISO) » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:11 am

Post by farside22 »

As soon as Bang is over I will finally have the Princess Bride ready for the mini theme. Looking forward to see it run fully. Hope all those who love the movie join.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Riddick
Riddick
Goon
Riddick
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2354 (ISO) » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:40 am

Post by Riddick »

ooba wrote:Planning to hold a mini theme with 12\large theme with 16 players (no complex mechanics - just different roles) for Stardust Mafia - based on the movie (will try and read the book too). Just wanted to check if anyone would be interested?
i'd play this, loved the movie.
[spoiler]LOST[/spoiler]
horrordude0215
horrordude0215
Mafia Scum
horrordude0215
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2355 (ISO) » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:57 am

Post by horrordude0215 »

farside22 wrote:As soon as Bang is over I will finally have the Princess Bride ready for the mini theme. Looking forward to see it run fully. Hope all those who love the movie join.
Yes. So much yes.
The Clown is Town. The Clown also uses "they" pronouns. Don't be a dick about it?
I know it's weird given the username, but "horrorperson" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
FC Groningen
FC Groningen
Goon
FC Groningen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2356 (ISO) » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:55 am

Post by FC Groningen »

Looks like I've posted this in the wrong thread.

So I'll post it here again.

I've hosted a different game on a different site. You guys might like it, but it requires at least 50 people to participate which might be too much here.

I'll explain the basics here without trying to spoil too much of the content.

For starters, the theme is "Zombie Apocalypse". A group of survivors pull together after the disaster and try to get out of the infected area together. However, some infected zombies that are able to hide from the masses have infiltrated the group. The group will escape if all evil roles are dead.

Secondly, everyone has a unique role based on what I think are stereotypes in movies and horror movies in particular. For example:

Laidback Student: (neutral/blue) 3

Sleeping from 4 till 2, visiting college once a week, wasting yourself in bars and smoking weed from time to time, life is good right? WRONG! The zombie apocalypse made short work of your lazy lifestyle and soon you were forced to hide and fight to survive. Fortunately for you, you come across a group of survivors, but that doesn't get you out of trouble yet...

Objective: Survive with the group and get the hell out of there. (get rid of all the evil roles)

Abilities:

none

Night watch efficiency: 90%

Phobias:
* Outside

Which leads me to the next part of the game, the night guard system. During the night, the survivors need to pick a night guard to keep watch during the night. Everyone has his or her own efficiency percentage which can be influenced by several factors. In case the night guard fails (will be decided by a random number generator) someone random from the group (except evil roles) will die as well during the night. There is no protection against that. Some roles will fall victim earlier than others...

Next, there are the locations. Each day, the thinning group moves to another location to get closer to escape. Each location has its own statistics and sometimes items to use and story. For example:

Day 1.1:
The community center:
The community center is the starting location of this particular game. Every (known) survivor of the zombie unslaught gathered here. Now that a decent group has come together, its time to get out of this city. The community center is a safe and known place with plenty of supplies. Its easily defendable, but the survivors will need to leave the safety of the community center behind if they want to get somewhere...
Statistics:
Defence: none
Supply effects: none
Hidden threats: none
Special: Starting location

In case items are found, they are usually randomly distributed to players. Its possible to steal them from others during a night phase. Items have their own charastics and traits for example:

Coffee:

Will help people to stay awake at night. Night watch efficiency goes up with 50%. Doesn't work on children though.

the game has been divided into 4 parts. Each part has its own mission. Failing them means a penalty for the survivors/town. Penalties means visiting extra locations for example you really don't like to be.

NPC's:
NPC's like the zombie mob are the regular npc's that the survivors have to fend off at night (by picking a night guard). Sometimes other and stronger NPC's show up and all of them have their own effects...

Events:
In some special cases, an event is triggered which will have suiting effects on the game for both sides. I can't reveal any of them yet, but they might tip a battle in someone's favor.

edit: forgot

Each role has preferences and phobias as well. In case a person reaches a location that triggers either his preferenences or phobias, a person either suffers a penalty or gains a bonus regarding night guard efficiency and survivability at night.

Any thoughts?
an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Ghandi
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2357 (ISO) » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:15 am

Post by Elmo »

^ Sounds cool, I like it. Make sure to clearly label whether you have a cult mechanic or not, imo.
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
FC Groningen
FC Groningen
Goon
FC Groningen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2358 (ISO) » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:47 am

Post by FC Groningen »

No cults involved, but evil can recruit. of course I deem it balanced.

edit: since its public information anyway:

Recruting works like this:
evils have the option to either kill each night or to go through the cycle of killing 1 night, doing nothing the second night and recruiting the 3rd night. In case it fails, they can try again the next night. Only blue roles are recruitable.
Last edited by FC Groningen on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2359 (ISO) » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:17 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

Looks really interesting to me. The hugeness of the game is daunting, but for something that thought out I'd do it.
ooba
ooba
Jack of All Trades
ooba
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2360 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:56 am

Post by ooba »

Sounds interesting .. Can't you just open a thread and ask for interested players; and then tweak the setup depending on number of entries you get?
FC Groningen
FC Groningen
Goon
FC Groningen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2361 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:49 am

Post by FC Groningen »

ooba wrote:Sounds interesting .. Can't you just open a thread and ask for interested players; and then tweak the setup depending on number of entries you get?
Well I'm new to this site, so I'm not sure I want to host yet. Also, since a lot of the aspects are based on the scale as well, (story, locations, chapters, missions etc.) I really do need at least 40 players, maybe more.

Also, don't I need some approval or something first?
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2362 (ISO) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

CLAIM:
Lost Large Theme game. Designing will begin after the series finalé on May 23rd. Looking for co-mod who can help design unique mechanics to fit with flavor and is also familiar with Lost.
green shirt thursdays
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #2363 (ISO) » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:35 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

This is still in the really early stages (Thrillville hasn't even started yet!) but when I get to mod a Large, who would be interested in Proverb Mafia? It would be like Normal Mafia, except instead of Flavour, you get Proverbs (also called sayings) that somehow link to your role. Oh yeah, it would probably involve Voteless (I would give Voteless something similar to a Day Vig)/Priests/Actors (but no Beloved Prinesses)
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2364 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:15 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Has anyone ever run a Firefly Mafia?
green shirt thursdays
Pomegranate
Pomegranate
Mafia Scum
Pomegranate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2365 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:19 pm

Post by Pomegranate »

animorpherv1 wrote:This is still in the really early stages (Thrillville hasn't even started yet!) but when I get to mod a Large, who would be interested in Proverb Mafia? It would be like Normal Mafia, except instead of Flavour, you get Proverbs (also called sayings) that somehow link to your role. Oh yeah, it would probably involve Voteless (I would give Voteless something similar to a Day Vig)/Priests/Actors (but no Beloved Prinesses)
Wasn't this the game that
we
were going to run?
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #2366 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

Pomegranate wrote:
animorpherv1 wrote:This is still in the really early stages (Thrillville hasn't even started yet!) but when I get to mod a Large, who would be interested in Proverb Mafia? It would be like Normal Mafia, except instead of Flavour, you get Proverbs (also called sayings) that somehow link to your role. Oh yeah, it would probably involve Voteless (I would give Voteless something similar to a Day Vig)/Priests/Actors (but no Beloved Prinesses)
Wasn't this the game that
we
were going to run?
LOL Now that you say it, yea. I actually went out and found some stuff for it, if you want to take a look.

Page a Day Calendars FTW.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2367 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Post by Andrius »

I hope this is the right place for this type of thing. :/
So, I was in Econ class, learning about Game Theory and the Prisoner's Dilemma. I thought of ways I could incorporate this idea into a mafia game.

The first idea, I scratched. The second idea, was this:

So, normal mechanics would stay the same. However, there would be two roles dubbed 'Economist' (or something like that). They would investigate a player every NP, as cops do. They would submit, say
Investigate: Player A

The mod would then tell 'Player A' that they were investigated by an economist, and that they could make one of two choices:
the player would either permit the mod to return their actual alignment(for townies), OR they would tell the mod the name of another player, say Player B, and the mod would then return:
Investigation was redirected to Player B; Player B is not town-aligned.

Naturally, if Player B was killed and flips town, then Player A will be under fire, for getting a town death.
This would be a simple game (due to the complex mechanic), with typical Doc, Cop, etc. There would also be at least one Miller, Godfather, and Usurper, and there would have to be two mafia families, to make sure all the mafia can't use the Economist to their advantage, as one massive group.
The point of having the Millers/Godfather/Usurper is to really make use of this mechanic. Millers will flip 'not-town' when investigated, so they'd use this mechanic too. The Usurper could redirect it to the Godfather, and try to get him killed that way.

So, feedback would be great, and if you're interested in helping me design it/ review the idea when it comes to fruition, that'd be great.
Thanks ahead of time, for any commentators! :D
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2368 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:12 pm

Post by dramonic »

problem that comes to mind is that only scum has any incentive to redirect the economist investigation.
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2369 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:22 pm

Post by dramonic »

/on topic

I claim X-Edge!
I cant wait to mod it, the setup is all kinds of special =D
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2370 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:39 pm

Post by Andrius »

dramonic wrote: problem that comes to mind is that only scum has any incentive to redirect the economist investigation.
And Millers. I'd have at least two of them, for that reason.
:/ Hmm... maybe it could be like, a Role-seeing function. Like a Role Cop. So the Economist gets the Role of the targetted person too. That would make town PRs want to redirect, since they'd want to hide their PR from possible scum.
You think that's good?
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #2371 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:33 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Eh. I wouldn't want to play in a game with Economist role mechanics, but I'm sure there are some who would. You might try to get a smaller chat/Marathon Day version going to test out the bugs/actual play effects.
Retired as of October 2014.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2372 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:32 am

Post by Andrius »

Yeah, Flay, I'm not liking the idea much either, having thought about it for a bit. :/
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #2373 (ISO) » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:51 am

Post by Hoopla »

Hi, I'm looking for a couple of sets of eyes to help tweak/review a speedgame idea called '21'. The premise is the town gets 21 real life days to eliminate all the scum - if the town runs out of time, they fail and the game ends. Individual day phases won't have deadlines, so time management will be a key game mechanic for the town to deal with. The clock stops during night phases.

It will probably run with a modified BaM ruleset I assume - it's mainly the problem of potential flakers/lurkers I want to talk about with someone, and how much I should be factoring this into balance, or creating rules to minimise this.

EDIT: Seems I probably posted this in the wrong thread. It might as well stay here as an interest-gauge instead.
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #2374 (ISO) » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:16 pm

Post by Seraphim »

I think that someone ran a similar game, a Mini Theme, that followed a similar premise called Time Bomb Mafia.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”