Newbie 920: Mafia in Newbietown (Game over! Town wins!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #750 (ISO) » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

7th vote count of day 2:

Ythan - 3 (Mcgriddle, mariomaster777, Unsight)
Mcgriddle - 1 (Ythan)

Not voting (FluffyGiggles, Fiyr, Julano)

With 7 alive it's 4 to lynch.

If I made any mistakes, let me know asap.

Deadline is April 6th at 6pm central.
Last edited by Zachrulez on Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kyiv
Kyiv
Goon
Kyiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #751 (ISO) » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:26 pm

Post by Kyiv »

McGriddle wrote:Oh my god people. The quote everyone is bringing up was used as SARCASM. GOD! Look at the context of the freaking statement!
Did you mean this quote? If so, then it really doesn't matter if it's sarcasm, the interaction is there. If not, please be more specific, I linked a lot of your posts.
McGriddle wrote:EBWOP: Post 441. I used his own logic that he used to prove me as scum to disprove his theory.
Please elaborate?

I was going to mention McGriddle's response to criticism to his plan, but when I thought about it, it's not at all indicative of scum.

Mod: I seem to be channeling Ythan
. Is he still around? XD
TTFN
McGriddle
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #752 (ISO) » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:58 pm

Post by McGriddle »

lol I meant it on 441. And he said "You suck as scum." So I was telling him that if I sucked, I wouldn't be around still as I would have already been caught.
Wins/Losses - 99/15

mariomaster777
mariomaster777
Townie
mariomaster777
Townie
Townie

Post Post #753 (ISO) » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:18 pm

Post by mariomaster777 »

Gonna finish going through the thread tomorrow. Hopefully my procrastination doesn't catch up with me.
Group co-operation is like a puzzle. If the pieces don't fit, you aren't pushing hard enough.
Julano
Julano
Townie
Julano
Townie
Townie

Post Post #754 (ISO) » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:56 am

Post by Julano »

Thankyou for subbing in Kyiv and reading through.

Vote: Kyiv.
Kyiv
Kyiv
Goon
Kyiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #755 (ISO) » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:57 am

Post by Kyiv »

Oh well, I tried XD

Good luck, town! I hope to play with you guys again some other time ^^
TTFN
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #756 (ISO) » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:33 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Final vote count of day 2:

Ythan - 4 (Mcgriddle, mariomaster777, Unsight, Julano)
Mcgriddle - 1 (Ythan)

Not voting (FluffyGiggles, Fiyr)

With 7 alive it's 4 to lynch.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #757 (ISO) » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:39 am

Post by Zachrulez »

After deliberations that are generally shorter than those of the first day, the town decides that Kyiv has to go.

"After all that time and effort I put into reading the game?!"

Yup.

But he doesn't want to go quietly, he pulls a gun and tries to hold off the town.

"STAY BACK!" he says.

But there are 7 of them and only one of him. He is quickly overpowered and sent onto the noose.

The fact that he possessed a gun makes it pretty clear to the residents of Newbietown that he's the final mafia. A resounding cheer can be heard from the gallows as poor Kyiv's neck snaps, putting a mercifully quick end to his life.

Kyiv
Mafia Goon
has been lynched on day 2!

Town wins!
Congratulations to all the winners!
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #758 (ISO) » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:43 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Setup:

1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies

Mafia Goon: Kyiv
Ythan
Legions

Mafia Roleblocker: Carl Sagan
Cop: McGriddle
Doctor: Netopalis
Vanilla Townie: FluffyGiggles
Vanilla Townie: Unsight
Vanilla Townie: Fiyr
Vanilla Townie: Julano
Vanilla Townie: mariomaster777

Night 1 Actions

Mcgriddle investigated Fiyr and got an innocent result.
Netopalis protected Mcgriddle
Ythan killed Netopalis
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #759 (ISO) » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:43 am

Post by Netopalis »

Wow. I was honestly shaking my head at that last lynch, I was convinced that Ythan/Kyiv was town. Well done, folks! I'll post my analysis of individual players in a bit.
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Temporarily retiring following the end of my current obligations.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #760 (ISO) » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:53 am

Post by Zachrulez »

This game was a bit unpleasant to mod in the regard that personal attacks cast a pretty big cloud over the game.

Mcgriddle and the mafia team at various points engaged in personal attacks, and I specifically received complaints from Carl Sagan regarding Mcgriddle (He attempted to get me to modkill Mcgriddle on multiple occasions, I refused opting to post general warnings instead so as to stay as neutral as I could.)

I thought the Sagan lynch would be the end of all that, but then as became obvious in the day, Ythan and Mcgriddle got a bit TOO personal in their exchanges, and I ended up receiving multiple complaints from Mcgriddle about that. (Under the circumstances, the grievances were legitimate here and I could understand what Mcgriddle was going through.) I really didn't want to step in, but the situation continued and escalated, so I had to replace Ythan. Sorry if that hurt anyone's enjoyment of the game. Also thanks again to Kyiv for replacing into that akward situation.

As it is, I think the mafia team demonstrated pretty effectively that personal attacks really aren't the way to go in getting the town to mislynch. The method and timing of their attacks and posts made it pretty obvious who they were. I'm not sure there's a whole lot to say about the game beyond that.

I was happy with the activity level, and as it turns out, Legions was the only player slot I had to replace, so that's something positive I can take out of this experience.

Feel free to add any post game comments you like to what I've said. Any feedback you have for my modding would be appreciated as well as it's the first newbie game I've modded.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #761 (ISO) » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:54 am

Post by Zachrulez »

The scum qt wasn't more than a few posts. (Due to Sagan's lynch.) Nonetheless, if I receive permission from both members of the mafia, I can post that too.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #762 (ISO) » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:58 am

Post by Netopalis »

Julano - Pretty good play. I think you had the right analysis and reasons, but I also think that your biggest problem is that the way in which you state your points doesn't tend to make others want to follow you. You need to be both right AND convincing - luckily, that's an easy problem to fix. Just post more of your thought process.

Fiyr - Excellent play. You have good analysis. However, you need to be extremely careful, as your personality opens you up to attacks of buddying. Be friendly, but be friendly to everybody and try not to gravitate towards one particular person over another.

mariomaster777 - You need to be very careful. Your thought process is on the right track, but the way you say it looks very scummy. When you offered to lynch before the replacement, I would have been all over that. Work on trying to get your opinion out a bit more clearly - however, like Julano, you have the right mental process.

FluffyGiggles - You're a very impressive player, and you'll definitely become much better. You do need to post more often, though - I feel that's your biggest hurdle.

Kyiv Ythan Legions - Kyiv was stuck in a rough situation, and I feel he did the best that he could. Ythan is a good friend of mine, but he really does need to cool it in the future - once the mod warns you, back off. Legions...What can you say? He never was really here.

Unsight (SE) - Brilliant. Keep up the good work. I see your play as something of a facilitator, which is an extremely useful role for the town. I think that your biggest hurdle is the fact that it seems that you don't like to confront people that much. Try being a bit more aggressive in the future and see how it works for you.

McGriddle (SE) - You were on the right track, but you really do need to learn from this game. I understand where you were coming from with Ythan being out of line, and you're right, but it's true that you also come across as *extremely* scummy due to your ill-explained logic. Try starting from the beginning, explaining your thought process and being a bit more open. Also, don't take offense when someone attacks your ideas - you are not your ideas, and you need to separate yourself from those ideas. You're far too emotional. However, I do think that you have potential, if you can overcome your own reactionary way of thinking.
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #763 (ISO) » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:59 am

Post by Netopalis »

Incidentally, to echo what Zach was saying, personal attacks shouldn't be seen that often in Mafia. Yes, it has some merit in how it tends to get reactions from people, but they really should be avoided. When you do engage in them, keep them to an extreme minimum. It hurts the game, everybody's enjoyment of the game and the site as a whole.

Kyiv
Kyiv
Goon
Kyiv
Goon
Goon

Post Post #764 (ISO) » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:43 am

Post by Kyiv »

There seems to be this recurring theme with me replacing people at L-1... they're always scum who town is toying with XD
TTFN
Julano
Julano
Townie
Julano
Townie
Townie

Post Post #765 (ISO) » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:05 am

Post by Julano »

Oh, phew :P . You scared me with that twilight message, Kyiv.

Thanks to Zachrulez for narrating! Difficult situation to moderate, well done.

Hence the lack of posting, I got kinda demotivated during day 2 to the point where I was considering suggesting a lynch on myself ("to avoid hitting the cop"). Decided not to because it would have hurt the town's chance of winning, through narrowing down the location of the cop and not killing a suspect (from my point of view, anyway).

Out of interest, who did McGriddle detect and Netopalis save night 1?

Also, what were people's impressions of McGriddle versus Ythan? Personally I got a bit confused about it; if I had been asked for the arguments either way I probably couldn't have said.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #766 (ISO) » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:07 am

Post by Netopalis »

I saved McGriddle. I figured that, if he wasn't scum, it's possible that the scum could have tried to NK him given his softclaim as cop.

Julano
Julano
Townie
Julano
Townie
Townie

Post Post #767 (ISO) » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:13 am

Post by Julano »

Well found, then.

Also,
Julano wrote:I have an issue the the policy lynch idea on a player. You're saying it's fine to vote someone for out of game reasons, but not to explain it??
now we're out of game I still stand by this. Was such an action by Ythan part of his play as scum, or is it actually relatively normal on mafiascum?
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #768 (ISO) » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:17 am

Post by Netopalis »

At the time, Ythan and I were in another game with McGriddle. He kinda fell apart there, and he had acted in a similar fashion in that game, where he was scum. Policy lynching isn't particularly common, but it is somewhat valid. The more normal approach is to try to lynch someone who is hurting the town, regardless of their alignment which, I'd contend, McGriddle was doing.

McGriddle
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #769 (ISO) » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:27 am

Post by McGriddle »

WOOT! McGriddle wins it :D I called both players. I am so proud of myself lol.

BTW Netopalis. It wasn't that I was on the right trck. I played a perfect game. 2 outs in a row based on my own logic and skill so I think I did a great job.

You're welcome town!

JK, although I do think I did a pretty good job of spotting scum. I was cop. I investigated Fiyr. Came up innocent obviously lol.

But I really do think everyone should have at least considered the plan a little more. I thought I explained it really well the last time I explained it, but I guess that still wasn't well enough as it got pushed under the rug. All in all I think I did a pretty good job, as well as the town, in finding scum, and if it wasn't for personal attacks (mostly because I don't take peoples crap) the game would have been perfect.

Good modding, good town, good game everyone.
Wins/Losses - 99/15

Unsight
Unsight
Goon
Unsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #770 (ISO) » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:33 am

Post by Unsight »

McGriddle Smash ftw! :D
Netopalis wrote:Wow. I was honestly shaking my head at that last lynch, I was convinced that Ythan/Kyiv was town. Well done, folks! I'll post my analysis of individual players in a bit.
You need to have more faith in your fellow townies. ;)
Games are meant to be fun.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #771 (ISO) » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:34 am

Post by Netopalis »

The "Plan" wasn't that great of an idea...I can explain why if I need to, but I think it's been fairly well discussed.

McGriddle: You still desperately need to improve how you talk to others - even if you're right, you're not that convincing.

Unsight
Unsight
Goon
Unsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #772 (ISO) » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:51 am

Post by Unsight »

@Netopalis - I liked your questions in the beginning. I much prefer those to RVS.

@McGriddle - Your playstyle is too reactive... but I thought you were amazingly consistent throughout the game and under pressure. I had a null/town read on you the whole time.

@Fiyr - I suspected you when you buddied up to Netopalis early on. If Carl hadn't been so blatantly anti-town (and not acting his part) then I might have gone for a lynch on you Day 1. You really need to scumhunt more.

@FluffyGiggles
@Julano
@mariomaster777 - All three of you are way too lurker-ish.
Games are meant to be fun.
FluffyGiggles
FluffyGiggles
Townie
FluffyGiggles
Townie
Townie

Post Post #773 (ISO) » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:55 am

Post by FluffyGiggles »

Wow, that mafia pairing was ... er ... what's the right term for it ... not that great? Particularly the beginning combination of Sagan/Legions.
Also, what were people's impressions of McGriddle versus Ythan? Personally I got a bit confused about it; if I had been asked for the arguments either way I probably couldn't have said.
I honestly thought Ythan 'won' the argument, although as I said earlier that was mostly due to him just steamrolling over McGriddle than any fantastically intelligent points. And he was replaced while McGriddle won, so at least McGriddle won in the end.

Did Sagan post the same way in the mafia QT and in the actual game?
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #774 (ISO) » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:48 am

Post by Ythan »

Two newbie games in a row I get paired with a scummy RB who gets himself lynched day one versus a cop doc team. Least I hit the doc night one this time. Grid, if I ever had to say something in your favor it's that you're lucky because lord knows nothing else was going on on your part.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”