Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2300 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:41 am

Post by Netopalis »

Idea: Peanut Gallery Mafia
Premise: A game of Mafia with a separate spectator thread. Talking about ongoing games is not against the rules - in fact, it's encouraged!

Thoughts?
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Temporarily retiring following the end of my current obligations.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #2301 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:04 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

What's the incentive for spectators? More importantly, how do you word it so that players don't get involved? Is the spectator thread 'private', like Convict was?
Retired as of October 2014.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #2302 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:06 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

I'm thinking it should be a QT, that Players that want to post in can.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2303 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:14 am

Post by Netopalis »

Players who post in the spectator thread would be modkilled. Players can read it, however.

Edit: No real incentive, I guess. Players can watch or not.
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #2304 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:15 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

animorpherv1 wrote:I'm thinking it should be a QT, that Players that want to post in can.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

Trumpet of Doom
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2305 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:29 am

Post by Trumpet of Doom »

I don't think I'd let living players see it. How I'd do it is:

Mod sets up QT and announces that it exists. Scummer who wants to see it PMs the mod to ask. Mod tells them that by seeing it, they declare themselves /out to replace, and makes sure they're okay with that. If the answer is yes, they get to see the QT.
Discretion is the better part of valor.
If I helped lynch you, you deserved it.

Retired from playing for the foreseeable future.
Ellibereth
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Deus ex Machina

Post Post #2306 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:34 am

Post by Ellibereth »

I think Neto's whole point was to let the player's see it as it went on?
May be wrong though.
Last edited by Ellibereth on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLASH OF GREEN
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2307 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:14 pm

Post by Netopalis »

No, Ellibereth is right. I was curious about how it would affect the game. Not really much of a theme game otherwise.

shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #2308 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:25 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

I like it. I enjoyed... what was it 4chan mafia, that allowed spectators before it got shut down.

Just remember that such a mechanism will likely help out the town since the spectators are more likely than not going to assume the role of a unkillable vanilla townie.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #2309 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:28 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

shaft.ed wrote:Just remember that such a mechanism will likely help out the town since the spectators are more likely than not going to assume the role of a unkillable vanilla townie.
That's why I wanted spectators to be a private thread. Still have to deal with alts, of course, but you've gotta trust your players at SOME point. I agree with modkilling any players found in the spectator thread.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #2310 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:58 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

Mr. Flay wrote:
shaft.ed wrote:Just remember that such a mechanism will likely help out the town since the spectators are more likely than not going to assume the role of a unkillable vanilla townie.
That's why I wanted spectators to be a private thread. Still have to deal with alts, of course, but you've gotta trust your players at SOME point. I agree with modkilling any players found in the spectator thread.
Meh I think having the spectator thread public and open to the players will greatly increase participation in said spectator thread. Another issue is that if it's private you're going to have big trouble getting useful replacements.

An idea to limit the spectator influence would be to give out a couple "spectator" PMs of varied alignments. So some of the people in the spectator thread are knowingly supporting the mafia.
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2311 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:08 am

Post by Max »

^Me Likey.

So in effect there are players that can't be lynched but can effect the game.

Somewhat like Trash-Talk?
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #2312 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:37 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Max wrote:^Me Likey.

So in effect there are players that can't be lynched but can effect the game.

Somewhat like Trash-Talk?
but they're actual involvement in the game would have to be kept secret so as to allow anyone to effectively be a spectator. Mod could even choose not to include the roles but have it in the game set up section as WIFOM.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #2313 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:38 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I think we're talking about two very different games; either
could
work and be balanced, but I'm only interested in Secret Spectators.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2314 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:00 am

Post by Netopalis »

Flay, Shafted, I'm not entirely sure we're speaking on the same terms.

If the spectators are secret, they're not influencing gameplay. Obviously, spectators wouldn't be given roles either.

shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #2315 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:02 am

Post by shaft.ed »

was the first sentence to Flay and the second to me?
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2316 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:40 am

Post by Netopalis »

Both to anyone.

Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #2317 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Post by Glork »

Proxy Mafia: A game in which your vote is not your own.

The idea behind this game is that, before each day, each player will proxy their vote to another living player.

The game will start with a "Day Zero" in which players will not lynch anybody but may discuss strategy and/or lobby for proxies.

Each night, every player sends the Mod a PM with their top five proxy choices (so that, should a player's top choice(s) die, there will be backup proxies in place). Players who fail/forget to send role PMs will have no vote for the day.

Other than the unusual vote control rules, the game will be largely normal -- it may even have an open role setup.

What do you guys think?
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #2318 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:34 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

I think last will mafia is running a setup sort of like that at the moment, you might want to take a glance at it and see how they handle it.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #2319 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:41 pm

Post by Glork »

I did take a look at Last Will, but there are some very significant, fundamental differences between the two. Votes aren't preserved when somebody dies, every player is moving their vote somewhere else at all times, and every player can move their vote elsewhere every night. The overall concept is similar, but the two games should play out very differently.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2320 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:32 pm

Post by zoraster »

the only way a spectator's mafia would work would be if it were paired with something like a "championship" mafia with all of the "best" players involved. Otherwise, interest will probably wane.

Oh, and I like Proxy Vote Mafia. Cool concept. Just have to make sure to balance it well as Mafia will inherently have far more of an advantage than normal as they'll almost always (until there's only one member left) proxy their vote to another mafia player whereas others can't.

There's also a worry about player collusion in that the town would have incentive to set up a system where every player proxies their vote to the person below them in the list so that it essentially gives the same as a normal game. Anyone who violates this policy is outed as anti-town.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #2321 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:11 pm

Post by Glork »

zoraster wrote:Oh, and I like Proxy Vote Mafia. Cool concept. Just have to make sure to balance it well as Mafia will inherently have far more of an advantage than normal as they'll almost always (until there's only one member left) proxy their vote to another mafia player whereas others can't.

There's also a worry about player collusion in that the town would have incentive to set up a system where every player proxies their vote to the person below them in the list so that it essentially gives the same as a normal game. Anyone who violates this policy is outed as anti-town.
Regarding the first paragraph: Unlikely at best. If mafia all proxy votes to each other, then as soon as one falls, it will create a domino effect and all of the scums would be outed. Also, even if a scum proxies his vote to a town player, he can still convince the town to mislynch.

Regarding the second paragraph: This is something I thought about, which is a viable strategy, except that the setup would probably be balanced against town in this manner. This or a "buddy system" where everyone pairs up would effectively create a "normal" game. I'm counting on two things to lead players away from this:
1) A setup slightly balaned in scum favor, so that town putting themselves in that situation will knowingly have a tougher road ahead than a typical "normal" game of the appropriate size;
2) People not wanting to employ such a strategy, because they sign up for Proxy specifically because of the mechanic. If they wanted to join a normal game, they'd join a normal game.... not Proxy.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
ElectricBadger
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
ElectricBadger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2322 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:35 am

Post by ElectricBadger »

Inspired by Max's Use of Time concept-

Survival Mafia

Basic notion is that the players are trapped on an island, and must tend to their needs as well as scumhunt. Everyone has a day action, all of which are private
-A certain number of people must find food, water and tend the fire, or random players will die of starvation/thirst/cold (regardless of alignment) total tally of these is public
-Anyone may role block (although this takes on new risk)
-Would still be some roles with special actions available (such as doctor, etc) who could either take that action or a basic action
-Mafia have the option of sending one player to perform a kill
-Nightless; Mafia have day talk

The overall notion is to force scum and town to work together and against each other at the same time, and to force decisions between individual and group goals.

Questions: Should total unused actions be public? What's a reasonable % of the total players that should be needed for survival?
Last edited by ElectricBadger on Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #2323 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:50 am

Post by SpyreX »

Proxy mafia could be a hoot - and it sure would be one where I'd want to do something silly.
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #2324 (ISO) » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:27 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

Anyone up for
Thrillville Mafia
?

It would be a Mini Theme (obviously, since it's video game related). I'd like to introduce the placing of stalls, rides, coasters, race tracks and games to benefit the town, but I'm not sure how I'd do that. If I used 2+ parks, each park (split up into 3 areas) would have 3 seperate "energy tanks", 1 for each area. Placing an object would use some the the tank, but give town an affect.

EX. Park A has
12 400 Power, and the possibility to place any amount of these, as long as they don't go over
I checked the game, and the actual thing has 12 400 Power for each park area.
:

You can place 1 of 2 Rides (1 gives more power and the other gives more time to lynch) (250 Power each)

You can place a stall (which will give 1 member of the game a vig kill) (100 Power)

You can place a game (which will give everyone a flavour cop invesitgation) (150 Power)

You can place a racetrack (which will give a cop an extra investigation, if there is a cop) (500 Power)

You can place a Coaster (which will give you an extra lynch) (750 Power)

And you can place any of the following as long as you don't go over 1000 Power. If you do, then the whole park goes dark, and Day Ends.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”