Scumchat withdrawal

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
crywolf20084
crywolf20084
Cayke
crywolf20084
Cayke
Cayke

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:00 pm

Post by crywolf20084 »

lmao

but its not good enough for my scumchat fix
aim:gochat?roomname=ScumChat&Exchange=5

GlorkTheInvader: GET UP ONTO SEXY ROSS'S BACK
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:02 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Thestatusquo wrote:Wow.

Everyone actually did it. O.O
You're a trend-setter.
Retired as of October 2014.
Cobalt
Cobalt
trollface.jpg
Cobalt
trollface.jpg
trollface.jpg

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:10 pm

Post by Cobalt »

Mr. Flay: Cobalt, stop being a doucheweasel.
hatersgonnahate.gif
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:11 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Apparently.

The tiny chat thing really kind of blows too.

I wish AIM would stop being a Rah-tard.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:19 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

tinychat is good for peg webcam tho
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
crywolf20084
crywolf20084
Cayke
crywolf20084
Cayke
Cayke

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:35 pm

Post by crywolf20084 »

the webcam is cool when it isn't requiring tits
aim:gochat?roomname=ScumChat&Exchange=5

GlorkTheInvader: GET UP ONTO SEXY ROSS'S BACK
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:37 pm

Post by Korts »

Shanba wrote:
Mr. Flay wrote:
Shanba wrote:
animorpherv1 wrote:um isn't ther MS scumchat, without hacing to log in to AIM?
No that's the stupid chat that doesn't work.
Yeah, we really ought to have disabled the site chat at some point. It's worse than useless...

I haven't yet found a good onboard chat for phpBB3, though I did find one that will create essentially 'one' chat window with a 25-post backlog, which I might be able to hack. I'm afraid it'll overload the server though, so it wouldn't be something we have going right away.
Huh. Well that's still pretty cool, it'd be nice to have some people in there except the old regulars.

(Honestly, scumchat has got all predictable. First it's cay and JD in there and they both sit and lurk. Later, izzy will join and briefly bitch about someone on MS she doesn't like. Cay will then tease her about disliking men, scot will log on and contribute. Jd will then suddenly pop out of lurking to snipe acerbically at cay before pimping his latest foray in picture taking, then peg and quag will log on and discuss whatever sport happens to be playing at the time.)
You forget Oman talking about his conquests and me bitching about the lack of mine.
scumchat never die
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:38 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Hrm, this looks fairly functional, if perhaps overkill: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1937925
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:05 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

mmm overkill
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love

STREAMING:

Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:15 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

I like it but I worry about two things.

1) The banning, and who controls such things. Scumchat has always been completely unmoderated, and I feel like it has benefited for this. I would worry about trying to extend forum rules to the chat function, where I feel like they don't have a place.

2) Scumchat itself. I would prefer mith not remove the scumchat link from the site, as scumchat as a seperate entity is probably a good thing too.

Thoughts, Mr. Flay?
Cobalt
Cobalt
trollface.jpg
Cobalt
trollface.jpg
trollface.jpg

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:21 pm

Post by Cobalt »

the solution is obv tinychat
hatersgonnahate.gif
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:35 pm

Post by Glork »

Thestatusquo wrote:Scumchat has always been completely unmoderated, and I feel like it has benefited for this.
Disagree. 18+ months ago, I used to enjoy being in scumchat. Now you couldn't pay me enough to waste my time in there.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:39 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

And you think that has something to do with lack of moderation? Scumchat didnt use to be moderated either. What's the causal mechanism?
DizzyIzzyB13
DizzyIzzyB13
Mafia Scum
DizzyIzzyB13
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Post by DizzyIzzyB13 »

Glork wrote:
Thestatusquo wrote:Scumchat has always been completely unmoderated, and I feel like it has benefited for this.
Disagree. 18+ months ago, I used to enjoy being in scumchat. Now you couldn't pay me enough to waste my time in there.
Scumchat's got better of the past couple of months - Haylen hardly ever shows up in there anymore.
Show
DizzyIzzyB13: For the record, I /ghooked Cogitate :p
ChannelDelibird: Well, for the record, FUCK YOU
ChannelDelibird: ;_;
DizzyIzzyB13: Cogitate is shorter. :(
DizzyIzzyB13: Sorry, CD
ChannelDelibird: Well, at least that's the first time a girl has told me "it's not short enough"
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Izzy, something tells me that's not what Glork is talking about.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:43 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Thestatusquo wrote:I like it but I worry about two things.

1) The banning, and who controls such things. Scumchat has always been completely unmoderated, and I feel like it has benefited for this. I would worry about trying to extend forum rules to the chat function, where I feel like they don't have a place.

2) Scumchat itself. I would prefer mith not remove the scumchat link from the site, as scumchat as a seperate entity is probably a good thing too.

Thoughts, Mr. Flay?
This is 100% unofficial, unvetted, and unrelated to whatever mith may decide to do.

I like having scumchat as the 'wild west' chatroom. It's unmoderated, the culture there is semi-unique, and it's not like the site has any control over AIM chatrooms anyway, so there's no point in even trying.

That said, I think there's a space for on-site chat that is minimally moderated (default membership, you have to do something seriously boneheaded to get your privs removed). It adds the benefit that you don't have to memorize everybody's AIM handles, possibly avatars or logs to the site when games finish, and is a 'safer' experience for those who want it. I have no strong ideas as of yet about who might moderate such a beast, though (I sure as hell don't want the job).
DizzyIzzyB13
DizzyIzzyB13
Mafia Scum
DizzyIzzyB13
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:43 pm

Post by DizzyIzzyB13 »

It's stilll a reason Scumchat is improving, though.
Show
DizzyIzzyB13: For the record, I /ghooked Cogitate :p
ChannelDelibird: Well, for the record, FUCK YOU
ChannelDelibird: ;_;
DizzyIzzyB13: Cogitate is shorter. :(
DizzyIzzyB13: Sorry, CD
ChannelDelibird: Well, at least that's the first time a girl has told me "it's not short enough"
Cobalt
Cobalt
trollface.jpg
Cobalt
trollface.jpg
trollface.jpg

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:44 pm

Post by Cobalt »

Mr. Flay wrote: (I sure as hell don't want the job).
tee hee
hatersgonnahate.gif
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Mr. Flay wrote:
Thestatusquo wrote:I like it but I worry about two things.

Thoughts, Mr. Flay?
This is 100% unofficial, unvetted, and unrelated to whatever mith may decide to do.

I like having scumchat as the 'wild west' chatroom. It's unmoderated, the culture there is semi-unique, and it's not like the site has any control over AIM chatrooms anyway, so there's no point in even trying.

That said, I think there's a space for on-site chat that is minimally moderated (default membership, you have to do something seriously boneheaded to get your privs removed). It adds the benefit that you don't have to memorize everybody's AIM handles, possibly avatars or logs to the site when games finish, and is a 'safer' experience for those who want it. I have no strong ideas as of yet about who might moderate such a beast, though (I sure as hell don't want the job).
I suppose, but who decides what is "boneheaded" in a chat room? It seems to me that things that occur with great frequency in scumchat would be considered "boneheaded" by the sites population at large. That's why we do them in the chat room, because we'd like to not get banned. 2 problems I see are 1) I think thats a good venue to blow off steam, and I worry that even if we do keep scumchat links on the site, it will die like the old chat did if something like this is available on site. So think that venue still needs to exist in function as well as actual ontological existence. 2) Even if we were to try to moderate it, how would we do so? I don't know about the chat logging capabilities of this thing, but it would seem to me that they would have to be at least somewhat limited, due to server space. Does that mean the person who mods or mod team would have to be in the chatroom monitoring it all day? If they don't do that, then how do we make sure that a "report" of abuse is actually true? It seems impractical to me. So I see no reason why scumchat rules shouldnt be the same for this chat.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:54 pm

Post by Glork »

Thestatusquo wrote:And you think that has something to do with lack of moderation? Scumchat didnt use to be moderated either. What's the causal mechanism?
When it fell out of favor with me, it had to do with the massive influx of asshats and pricks, which could have been remedied through moderation.

I don't know what it has (d)evolved into since then, but I have no desire of going back.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:55 pm

Post by Ythan »

Moderating another forum I've found it's a major pain in the ass to try to moderate what happens in off-site chats. I more or less try to pretend it doesn't happen.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:56 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Glork wrote:
Thestatusquo wrote:And you think that has something to do with lack of moderation? Scumchat didnt use to be moderated either. What's the causal mechanism?
When it fell out of favor with me, it had to do with the massive influx of asshats and pricks, which could have been remedied through moderation.

I don't know what it has (d)evolved into since then, but I have no desire of going back.
Fair enough. For me, it was more the loss of people like StD and you and Yaw and PWS. You obviously has something to do with moderation, but I doubt the others did. Shrug. To each their own. TBH SC is pretty boring lately.
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:26 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

Mr. Flay wrote:I have no strong ideas as of yet about who might moderate such a beast, though (I sure as hell don't want the job).
I vote me. ^_^
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

STREAMING:

Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:35 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Thestatusquo wrote:I suppose, but who decides what is "boneheaded" in a chat room? It seems to me that things that occur with great frequency in scumchat would be considered "boneheaded" by the sites population at large.
Huh? I'm not talking about trying to moderate scumchat (far from it).
I worry that even if we do keep scumchat links on the site, it will die like the old chat did if something like this is available on site.
I'm not sure which "old chat" you're talking about, but if it's the one on the main page, it's disused because it
sucks
. I see scumchat and sitechat serving two very different needs.
Even if we were to try to moderate it, how would we do so? I don't know about the chat logging capabilities of this thing, but it would seem to me that they would have to be at least somewhat limited, due to server space. Does that mean the person who mods or mod team would have to be in the chatroom monitoring it all day? If they don't do that, then how do we make sure that a "report" of abuse is actually true? It seems impractical to me. So I see no reason why scumchat rules shouldnt be the same for this chat.
The way the chat I just linked to is written, it already writes to a table. There's a modification you can make to autoclear the table, but table space is
cheap
. Queries are what kill us, and CPU (I'm a little concerned about CPU with an AJAX chat, so we'd have to do some load testing).

If
if was a semi-moderated, I think it would be much like the rest of the site: complaint-driven. Probably many 'rules' wouldn't apply, but some should be universal in site-branded areas I think (no slurs, no illegal activity, no "cheating" - in this case probably referring to talking about ongoing 'regular' games). Then whoever gets the fun job of moderating can check the logs and take action/issue warnings if needed. That's all; not a hall monitor position at all.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:45 pm

Post by JDodge »

Shanba wrote:
Mr. Flay wrote:
Shanba wrote:
animorpherv1 wrote:um isn't ther MS scumchat, without hacing to log in to AIM?
No that's the stupid chat that doesn't work.
Yeah, we really ought to have disabled the site chat at some point. It's worse than useless...

I haven't yet found a good onboard chat for phpBB3, though I did find one that will create essentially 'one' chat window with a 25-post backlog, which I might be able to hack. I'm afraid it'll overload the server though, so it wouldn't be something we have going right away.
Huh. Well that's still pretty cool, it'd be nice to have some people in there except the old regulars.

(Honestly, scumchat has got all predictable. First it's cay and JD in there and they both sit and lurk. Later, izzy will join and briefly bitch about someone on MS she doesn't like. Cay will then tease her about disliking men, scot will log on and contribute. Jd will then suddenly pop out of lurking to snipe acerbically at cay before pimping his latest foray in picture taking, then peg and quag will log on and discuss whatever sport happens to be playing at the time.)
It's latest foray in picture manipulation now thank you very much, including my take on sensationalistic urban legends.
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?

Return to “General Discussion”