Newbie 920: Mafia in Newbietown (Game over! Town wins!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #425 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:02 am

Post by Netopalis »

Griddle: Really? Honestly? You could be a decent player, but I think you need to just get your head into the game and keep it there; your games are plagued by an inability to take a stand and by a lack of knowledge of the game state. Ythan's just pointing out where you went wrong, which is
what he's supposed to do
. It's kinda how Mafia is played. If you can't understand that, then yeah, it's probably best to move on - it's impossible to play Mafia without disagreeing with people or pointing out flaws in peoples' arguments.
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Temporarily retiring following the end of my current obligations.
McGriddle
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #426 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:04 am

Post by McGriddle »

Netopalis wrote:Griddle: Really? Honestly? You could be a decent player, but I think you need to just get your head into the game and keep it there; your games are plagued by an inability to take a stand and by a lack of knowledge of the game state. Ythan's just pointing out where you went wrong, which is
what he's supposed to do
. It's kinda how Mafia is played. If you can't understand that, then yeah, it's probably best to move on - it's impossible to play Mafia without disagreeing with people or pointing out flaws in peoples' arguments.

So him voting me in every game for no reason other than an ongoing game he isn't supposed to mention is the right thing to do then?
Wins/Losses - 99/15

Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Welcome to the Haystack

Pronoun: She

Post Post #427 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:06 am

Post by Ythan »

It's a policy lynch.
Fiyr
Fiyr
Townie
Fiyr
Townie
Townie

Post Post #428 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:20 am

Post by Fiyr »

I'm Back!
Ythan wrote:Fiyr, pet peeve, if you could leave the name of the person you're quoting in at least one of the quote tags I would appreciate it greatly.
I've been trying to do that throughout the game, sorry, guess I forgot last post, It's actually something that annoys me too. -.-;
FluffyGiggles wrote:You said earlier that you didn't feel comfortable stating that I had low activity in the thread. However, before that, you posted the following in Post 280 (which I notice that you found, but chose not to read through?)
I'm sorry, I thought you meant that specific post.
:shock: And, your absolutly right. I thought I was going to say something but ended up never saying anything... -.-; I'm sorry about that confusion.
Julano wrote:I'm not impressed that Fiyr is voting me only after Netapolis voiced suspicions.
I'm not impressed with Julano's posting.
Ythan wrote:It's a policy lynch.
I believe I'm unfortunatly forced to believe you don't really have a reason. :|
I love cats...! :3

Mafia is like 'Where is Waldo,' ... so uh, where IS Waldo anyway?
Fiyr
Fiyr
Townie
Fiyr
Townie
Townie

Post Post #429 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:21 am

Post by Fiyr »

By the way, my case is coming.
I love cats...! :3

Mafia is like 'Where is Waldo,' ... so uh, where IS Waldo anyway?
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #430 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:21 am

Post by Ythan »

I already had a vote on Grid for in-game reasons. Now it is also a policy lynch because of an ongoing game that I can't discuss but that I'm sure Neto can confirm.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #431 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:26 am

Post by Zachrulez »

17th vote count of day 1:

Carl Sagan - 2 (Mcgriddle, Unsight)
Ythan - 1 (mariomaster777)
Netopalis - 1 (Carl Sagan)
Mcgriddle - 1 (Ythan)
Julano - 1 (Fiyr)

Not voting (FluffyGiggles, Netopalis, Julano)

With 9 alive it's 5 to lynch.

If I made any mistakes, let me know asap.

DL is March 16 at 9am central.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #432 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:27 am

Post by Netopalis »

There are good reasons to vote for McGriddle. Several of them are in-game, but we now have a solid policy justification for it as well.
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #433 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:28 am

Post by Ythan »

Why are you not voting, not just for him but for anyone, Neto?
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #434 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:31 am

Post by Netopalis »

I thought I was voting for Sagan. No matter. I wasn't voting for Griddle yet because I didn't feel like I had a very good read on him. Based on what I now know of his meta, though, and his actions in game, I'd feel confident lynching him.

Vote: McGriddle

Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #435 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:31 am

Post by Netopalis »

Oh, right, I unvoted. Forgot about that.

Unsight
Unsight
Goon
Unsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #436 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:10 am

Post by Unsight »

McGriddle wrote:
Ythan wrote:My vote is now staying on McGriddle until he dies, as it will in every other game I play with him. He knows why.
This is why I hate you. You heckle me into wanting to just leave this frickin game forever. I am finishing up my games here on mafiascum, then I am going to be out for good.
Please take a deep breath and remember it's just a game.

Ythan and Netopalis are coming after you for what seems to be the reasoning that put you on my suspect list at the very beginning. The biggest difference is that Ythan is pretty much tactless about it. He does come off as a jerk at times but that doesn't make him wrong.

No one is trying to make you leave or make it unfun for you, but you need to start being more proactive in these games or you will get lynched over and over and over. Also, what you just did here in the scope of the game is called an "Appeal to Emotion" and it's fairly scummy so that didn't help you at all.
Games are meant to be fun.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #437 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:13 am

Post by Ythan »

I definitely don't want Grid to leave the site, if it can be avoided. I had expected that after the games we're currently in finished he'd be that much better a player.
FluffyGiggles
FluffyGiggles
Townie
FluffyGiggles
Townie
Townie

Post Post #438 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:47 pm

Post by FluffyGiggles »

Goody, now I'm torn. I didn't have a solid read on McGriddle before, and now he's threatening to take his ball and go home, complete with an AtE. His play's been spotty thus far, and he did ignore all the recent attacks against him...

Other options are ... well there aren't really any other good lynches (at least in my humble opinion). There's Sagan, but it's practically impossible to get a good read on him because he's playing in persona. Fiyr defended herself competently. I would vote for McGriddle, but that'd put him on L-1 and all.

FoS: McGriddle

Come on, get back in the game and defend yourself or replace out. It isn't fair to just say that you're finishing up on your games.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #439 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:51 pm

Post by Ythan »

Does his being upset make him seem less scummy?
FluffyGiggles
FluffyGiggles
Townie
FluffyGiggles
Townie
Townie

Post Post #440 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:03 pm

Post by FluffyGiggles »

It makes it harder to tell if he's scummy or not, because he has another reason to behave the way he is. If someone is purely playing the game, then you can try to analyse their posts from an in-game context. However if someone is letting emotion colour their posts, then you have to factor in an adjustment which can apply to any alignment ... if that makes sense.

Plus if someone gives up, they aren't offering an argument to be analysed. They aren't offering anything to be analysed, they're just throwing themselves towards the noose and not helping town at all. Which makes for a good policy lynch, but doesn't really help pure scumhunting.

Again, I have no idea if that makes any kind of sense.
McGriddle
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #441 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:21 pm

Post by McGriddle »

I haven't really done anything in this game that is considerably scummy. Please show me and I will try to defend myself. The fact that I am such a terrible scum should be enough to prove my innocence at this point so the fact that I haven't done anything that stupid is reason enough to NOT vote me anymore.
Wins/Losses - 99/15

mariomaster777
mariomaster777
Townie
mariomaster777
Townie
Townie

Post Post #442 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:26 pm

Post by mariomaster777 »

FluffyGiggles wrote:It makes it harder to tell if he's scummy or not, because he has another reason to behave the way he is. If someone is purely playing the game, then you can try to analyse their posts from an in-game context. However if someone is letting emotion colour their posts, then you have to factor in an adjustment which can apply to any alignment ... if that makes sense.

Plus if someone gives up, they aren't offering an argument to be analysed. They aren't offering anything to be analysed, they're just throwing themselves towards the noose and not helping town at all. Which makes for a good policy lynch, but doesn't really help pure scumhunting.

Again, I have no idea if that makes any kind of sense.

To me this makes perfect sense. Think along the lines of poker. If someone appears to be upset, you have to adjust your thinking patterns for this new information. People act differently when emotion gets in the way.

McGriddle, what do you mean when you say "I am such a terrible scum" and that "I haven't done anything that stupid." The newbie players in this game have absolutely no playing history with you, so a claim that you are terrible scum means absolutely nothing to us. We can't base decisions off such a claim.
Group co-operation is like a puzzle. If the pieces don't fit, you aren't pushing hard enough.
McGriddle
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #443 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:37 am

Post by McGriddle »

I am referring to the people on the McWagon. They kn ow my play style as scum, so it should be pretty obvious I am not.
Wins/Losses - 99/15

Unsight
Unsight
Goon
Unsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #444 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:44 am

Post by Unsight »

McGriddle wrote:I am referring to the people on the McWagon. They kn ow my play style as scum, so it should be pretty obvious I am not.
Outside of Carl (who I also think is scummy), who else do you suspect?
Games are meant to be fun.
McGriddle
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #445 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:53 am

Post by McGriddle »

Unsight wrote:
McGriddle wrote:I am referring to the people on the McWagon. They kn ow my play style as scum, so it should be pretty obvious I am not.
Outside of Carl (who I also think is scummy), who else do you suspect?
Ythan. He is pushing for a policy lynch for no reason. Only based off meta on an ongoing game. Which has NOTHING to do with this game.
Wins/Losses - 99/15

Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #446 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:08 am

Post by Netopalis »

From evidence in this game, who do you suspect?

Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack

Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #447 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:21 am

Post by Ythan »

McGriddle I already voted you for stated reasons and augmented it with policy. Your OMGUS twisting of the facts ensures that it will stay there.
McGriddle
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #448 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:37 am

Post by McGriddle »

Netopalis wrote:From evidence in this game, who do you suspect?
I already said this, Carl, and Ythan.

I am not leaving the game.
Wins/Losses - 99/15

Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #449 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:38 am

Post by Netopalis »

McGriddle wrote:
I haven't really done anything in this game
that is considerably scummy. Please show me and I will try to defend myself. The fact that I am such a terrible scum should be enough to prove my innocence at this point so the fact that I haven't done anything that stupid is reason enough to NOT vote me anymore.
The bolded portion is my problem with you in this game, McGriddle.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”