Newbie 920: Mafia in Newbietown (Game over! Town wins!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #250 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:22 am

Post by Zachrulez »

10th vote count of day 1:

Carl Sagan - 1 (Mcgriddle)
Netopalis - 1 (Carl Sagan)
Mcgriddle - 1 (Netopalis)
Legions - 1 (Julano)

Not voting (mariomaster777, FluffyGiggles, Legions, Unsight, Fiyr)

With 9 alive it's 5 to lynch.

If I made any mistakes, let me know asap.

DL is March 16 at 9am central.

Activity checks coming.
Last edited by Zachrulez on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unsight
Unsight
Goon
Unsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #251 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:25 am

Post by Unsight »

mariomaster777 wrote:Ok. Those homework assignments took WAY longer than expected. I was also on duty tonight (I'm a resident assistant), and a few things came up after I made the above post. It definitely cut into my "catching up time." Let me be as honest as I can in my current situation.

It's 3:30am right now. I just spent about 2 hours rereading the entire thread and taking notes. They are sitting on my computer in a notepad file. But they are a complete jumbled mess right now and need some organization before posting.
I'll share my thoughts tomorrow.
I'm starting to see with this game that it is really stupid of me to "wait until I am VERY sure before making an accusation." With all the posting, I keep forgetting that it's still Day 1, and it's going to be near impossible to be "VERY sure" about anything.

I have two exams next week. 1 on Tuesday, 1 on Wednesday. I get out of class tomorrow at 3pm.
I promise to share my thoughts within an acceptable time frame (say before 5pm) I'll try to continue contributing
, but until Wednesday hits, I might not have a chance to check the thread.
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts. If anything, seeing some content that isn't Netopalis, McGriddle, and Carl Sagan chasing each others' tails would be welcome.

In the meantime, good luck with your exams. ^_^
Games are meant to be fun.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #252 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:32 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Legions has been prodded.
Unsight
Unsight
Goon
Unsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #253 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:52 am

Post by Unsight »

Hey Zach, you've misspelled Netopalis' name on every vote count so far.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #254 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:58 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Unsight wrote:Hey Zach, you've misspelled Netopalis' name on every vote count so far.
Did I? :oops:

I'll go and fix that.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #255 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:07 am

Post by Netopalis »

I wasn't going to say anything, since I'm used to people getting it wrong. I've had one game where people referred to me as "Neta" throughout the entire thing. At any rate, I appreciate it!
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Temporarily retiring following the end of my current obligations.
Unsight
Unsight
Goon
Unsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #256 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:45 am

Post by Unsight »

Netopalis wrote:Thanks :)

I wasn't going to say anything, since I'm used to people getting it wrong. I've had one game where people referred to me as "Neta" throughout the entire thing. At any rate, I appreciate it!
I saw it last week, but then I looked back and saw that it was correct I thought. Looked earlier today and saw that he had spelled it right in part of the post but incorrectly in another part so I decided to mention it.

Anyway, recall that Flufflygiggles made the point that Fiyr seemed to be spending a lot of time defending you and Fiyr came back to say that she wasn't defending you so much as attacking what she perceived to be bad arguments.

Unless I missed a post, you really haven't commented on any of that so I'd like to hear your opinions it.
Unsight
Unsight
Goon
Unsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #257 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:45 am

Post by Unsight »

*opinions on it
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #258 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:46 am

Post by Netopalis »

Meh, the attacks were crap. I've defended pro-town players as town and scum, and I've defended scum as town and scum. Until one of us flips, there is no evidence there.
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Unsight
Unsight
Goon
Unsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #259 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:52 am

Post by Unsight »

Netopalis wrote:Meh, the attacks were crap. I've defended pro-town players as town and scum, and I've defended scum as town and scum. Until one of us flips, there is no evidence there.
Why is that?

I don't really understand why someone would defend anyone in mafia. I don't know anyone's alignment but my own so I'm not inclined to defend anyone because they might be scum.

Plus if the arguments are bad, then the person being attacked should be able to defend herself easily on her own. If they're good arguments then it'd be a bad idea to defend the person anyway because she could easily be mafia.

I guess my real question is why/when you would defend someone.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #260 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:56 am

Post by Netopalis »

I was able to defend myself and did so later ably - Fiyr didn't and doesn't need to defend me. If she chooses to, that's her business.

Honestly, the answer is simple: As town, if you feel that someone is being unfairly attacked, it's your duty to defend - I executed a 16 page defense of Doombunny in Hellsing Mafia, which prevented a mislynch and resulted in a day 2 win. Basically, he was being attacked for vague and flimsy reasons - I begged people to put forward a good case, and nobody did. If I hadn't, the scum would have succeeded in pushing for the mislynch and probably would have won.

Unsight
Unsight
Goon
Unsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #261 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:01 am

Post by Unsight »

Netopalis wrote:Honestly, the answer is simple:
As town, if you feel that someone is being unfairly attacked, it's your duty to defend
- I executed a 16 page defense of Doombunny in Hellsing Mafia, which prevented a mislynch and resulted in a day 2 win. Basically, he was being attacked for vague and flimsy reasons - I begged people to put forward a good case, and nobody did. If I hadn't, the scum would have succeeded in pushing for the mislynch and probably would have won.
Your duty to defend the person or just point out that the argument is bad? I guess I see those as two different things, what about you?
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #262 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:29 am

Post by Netopalis »

They're really one and the same. I mean, sure, you can call a specific argument bad, but realistically, if there's a case against someone that's bad, you need to defend them from the whole case and not just a few specific arguments.

mariomaster777
mariomaster777
Townie
mariomaster777
Townie
Townie

Post Post #263 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:56 am

Post by mariomaster777 »

Alright. So after an hour of fiddling with my power brick I decided it was time to get IT services to replace the damn thing. Now that I'm back with one of their "loaners" I can make a post. (That is of course until they realize tomorrow my computer is out of warranty and force me to give it back.)

I really do apologize for all the excuses/delays but in the last 24 hours NOTHING has gone right for me. Let me organize my thoughts.
Group co-operation is like a puzzle. If the pieces don't fit, you aren't pushing hard enough.
mariomaster777
mariomaster777
Townie
mariomaster777
Townie
Townie

Post Post #264 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:43 am

Post by mariomaster777 »

I'll be up front about this. These are mostly
gut reactions.
It's why I didn't feel comfortable about posting this earlier, but after having read some great arguments about why withholding your thoughts isn't really optimal, especially on day one, I suppose I better start saying something. To avoid a gigantic post, I won't quote anything but instead reference posts by number.

Fiyr:

I really don't like Fiyr's mass posting in a row. A pet peeve of mine is triple posting or more. However, but looking at the intent behind it, it shows a player whose mind is constantly keeping tabs on what is going on with everyone. She really does go out of her way to address multiple topics of discussion involving multiple players. (See the string of posts starting near 208). Perhaps an argument for pro-town.

Unsight challenged Fiyr's unvote in post (237), and Fiyr's response is
very close after. In a nutshell, the reasoning is that she doesn't have a strong read on her current vote and doesn't want to accidentally contribute to a mislynch. This reasoning is similar in my style of play and shows an intent to avoid making costly mistakes. Of course, the converse could be true and someone may read this as a "well disguised waffling." Pulling a vote because you are unsure can make you LOOK like you don't want to be responsible for the town's downfall, and could thus have scum intent behind it. Course, having just written this, this is likely a good example of WIFOM thinking, and I should likely just flat out disregard this gut feeling.

FluffyGiggles

He went out of his way to point out that everyone shouldn't trust Netopalis at face value because of his status as an IC. Of course, Carl Sagan made the same argument with more confusing, and more aggressive language. Yet, people are pointing fingers at Carl Sagan, but not FluffyGiggles. I'm honestly confused by this inconsistency within the town, making a read on this specific player even harder. I really don't know if he's town or scum.

Netopalis

Said multiple times "if I were scum" in early posts. I know being an IC he has to make some of these posts in order to avoid an upcry from everyone that he could have "manipulated the game with his IC status if he's mafia". Saying you could be mafia once I think is fine. But three or four times? What is the intent behind the constant reminder?Is he going out of the way to say so? I'm not reading heavily onto this point, but it's making me suspicious.

Legions

Said in post 153 that he tends to be more to the point. Yet, (in my opinion) the entire post has very little substance. Admitting you are bad seems like an excuse to stay out of discussion.

In post 158, Legions does understand that Netopalis as scum would be very bad. I too fear the possibility that a talkative player could be scum and direct the town towards their doom. But again, I'm confused. The language of the post makes it seem like Legions suspects Netopalis, but won't follow through vote for him. To me that's being inconsistent, and a reason for suspicion. Perhaps a reason for this is that he wants to directly oppose Netopalis without casting a vote, making us believe he is against Netopalis when in fact they could be working together as scum. A possibility, but my evidence is weak at best.

Julano

I like Julano's summary (post 169) of Netopalis' post. Lays out potential options. I think summary posts like this help keep the town on track and aware of the discussion topics at hand. I would believe Julano to be pro-town due to the intent behind his posts.

McGriddle

I actually read McGriddle's "impatience" in post 177 as a way to "get the ball rolling." 11 pages in and no strong votes towards any one person, I think the town might be spinning its wheels. As a town member, perhaps McGriddle wants to thrust the discussion again.

However, the more I read McGriddle's posts, the more confused I become. I'm seeing very little logic in them except a flat out dislike of Carl Sagan. I don't like the reasoning behind McGriddle's vote and get this feeling that he is purposely trying to confuse the town, a scummy read. He is flat out ignoring Carl Sagan because he didn't like his first post, as shown in post 196.

Unsight

I know I said above that I would start sharing my thoughts based on people commenting that not sharing them fails to benefit anyone. Unsight is definitely one of the people who convinced me to change my ways up. But I have to wonder if the intent behind is positive or negative. It's played off of as "posting more is more fun." (Post 185.) It could be legitimate appeal to emotion, a townie trying to get its other players more involved and open up new areas of discussion, or a scum trying to get a townie to share lines of discussion that could be bad. I don't know. It could be very legit, or could be trying to get me to ease up on my fears of giving bad leads. Unsight calls it a "motivational speech." Perhaps these thoughts could be completely unrelated to the game at hand.

What is more relevant is that Unsight is asking many pointed and strong questions. Likely protown. Unsight's post in 214 makes a very good point. There is inconsistency here between McGriddle and Netopalis. I think this particular line of questioning could be looked at a bit more. It makes be believe that either McGriddle or Netopalis is scum but not both.

Unsight's sheer involvement in many conversations is a strong pro town read. In fact, I would be very shocked to find out if you were scum.

Carl Sagan

We've discussed Carl Sagan's interesting style of posting for quite some time. But I want to look at post 224. It seems very early to ask for doctor protection. In my opinion he is actually pro-town because of this. He could be the investigator or could be overly confident in his reading abilities. I don't think he's scum because asking for doctor protection in itself raises a red flag. It would be a
VERY VERY unusual move
to ask for protection since you are likely NOT to get it without more proof. Why ask for it if he is scum? So I think Carl Sagan is pro-town.

Thus, to wrap things up, I have three potential scummy leads. Legions, Netopalis, and McGriddle. Maybe FluffyGiggles, but it's a null read at this point. But of the three, I feel most strongly about legions. Strong enough to actually cast my vote.

Vote: Legions
Group co-operation is like a puzzle. If the pieces don't fit, you aren't pushing hard enough.
mariomaster777
mariomaster777
Townie
mariomaster777
Townie
Townie

Post Post #265 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:44 am

Post by mariomaster777 »

Damn. That was a block of text. Sorry everyone. Hopefully I put in enough carriage returns.
Unsight
Unsight
Goon
Unsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #266 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:03 pm

Post by Unsight »

Wow mario! Thanks for posting all that.

First, I agree with most everything you said. Swap your feelings for Fiyr and Fluffygiggles and you have most of my thoughts.

However, I disagree with some of your statements about Carl.
mariomaster777 wrote:
Carl Sagan

We've discussed Carl Sagan's interesting style of posting for quite some time. But I want to look at post 224. It seems very early to ask for doctor protection. In my opinion he is actually pro-town because of this. He could be the investigator or could be overly confident in his reading abilities. I don't think he's scum because asking for doctor protection in itself raises a red flag. It would be a
VERY VERY unusual move
to ask for protection since you are likely NOT to get it without more proof. Why ask for it if he is scum? So I think Carl Sagan is pro-town.
It's actually not all that unusual where I'm from. There are certain very skilled players that always ask to be protected on Night 1. If they're pro-town, then keeping them alive helps the town greatly so they want to survive. If they're scum, then having the Doctor protecting them is the easiest way to ensure the Doctor doesn't interfere with their kills.

However, you can think a step beyond that. If someone asks for Doctor protection then it means they're implying they're not the Doctor. Whether they are or are not is a WIFOM, but it's what they're trying to imply. It's either a misdirection against the mafia akin to saying "I'm an ordinary townie and not a Doctor" or a misdirection against the town saying "I'm an ordinary townie and not a mafia."

Logically it's a null tell but it still bothers me because it feels like it's a deliberate attempt to mislead
someone
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #267 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:11 pm

Post by Netopalis »

Mario: Thanks for the great post!

In response to your points about mine, the only reason that I've made it more than once is because Sagan keeps pounding me on the issue. Every time that I've said it, other than in the intro posts, was because I was called scummy for it. Rest assured, I would only say it once if I only needed to, regardless of alignment.

The key difference between Sagan and FluffyGiggles is that FluffyGiggles seems to be posting a lot of reasoning while Sagan just keeps hammering me for the same tired and non-issue point. Also, Fluffy doesn't attack me just because I'm an IC like Sagan, she has instead just said that we should treat me a null read until proven otherwise, which is a perfectly respectable position.

The concept that Sagan wouldn't ask for doc protection as scum because it would make people suspect him is essentially the definition of WIFOM. He could just be scum doing something scummy so that you would think that he was pro-town. Or, he could be a pro-town player who is doing something scummy...it goes on like this for infinity. Honestly, I suspect that Sagan's request for doc protection is not born of a role or alignment, but rather a puffed-up opinion of his own abilities. That's just my take, though.

Mind if I ask exactly what inconsistency you refer to between myself and Griddle?

Fiyr
Fiyr
Townie
Fiyr
Townie
Townie

Post Post #268 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:16 pm

Post by Fiyr »

Julano wrote:I would be interested to see a list of players with thoughts from you too, Fiyr.
I'm sorry, It'll take a while as I need to gather my thoughts and I may not get back to you for a while.
Netopalis wrote:They're really one and the same. I mean, sure, you can call a specific argument bad, but realistically, if there's a case against someone that's bad, you need to defend them from the whole case and not just a few specific arguments.
Personally, I like to look at individual points. I don't like to disagree or agree completely with a case unless I seiriously do. If there are points in one argument that I feel both ways on, I'll say so.
Unsight wrote:Plus if the arguments are bad, then the person being attacked should be able to defend herself easily on her own. If they're good arguments then it'd be a bad idea to defend the person anyway because she could easily be mafia.
Once again, I care more about attacking the case than defending the person. If I see something that I have an opinion on, chances are I'll say something.
Julano wrote:Also, I'm not sure how much pressure a vote adds if it is announced as a pressure vote.
Is this in reference to my vote on Sagan? If so, I didn't announce it as a pressure vote until a while after I voted. (I believe)
Unsight wrote:I agree with Julano, I'd like to see a list of players from you with your opinions on them. From your last few posts, it seems like we've managed to go 10 pages without you being able to produce one person that you're actually even suspicious of.

I'm not going to lie to you; that's really bad.
I must say, I agree too. I'm working on a person-by-person analysis right now and will include my suspicions in there.
mariomaster777 wrote:I really don't like Fiyr's mass posting in a row. A pet peeve of mine is triple posting or more.
I'm really sorry about that. I'm the kind of person who does *this* on a daily basis.

*Walk in to the kitchen for a glass of milk. I get a cookie, then leave. I realize I didn't get my milk, so I put the cookie on a table and go back into the kitchen. I open the fridge. " Wait, what was I here for? hmm... Oh well probably nothing!" Closes fridge. Leaves. "Um,... where did I put my cookie?" Then I remember the milk, etc. etc.*

My mind kinda blanks and once I post I remember something else. -_-;
because you are unsure
Yes. I am just that quite often.

@266
Actually, I initially took his aking for protection as a joke. :?
Am I wrong? I suppose only Sagan can answer that.

@Mariomaster777
Mostly I agree with what you say. this is actually to everyone,
do you know about the neat isolation feature? If not, at the bottom of the page it says: by All Users Oldest first Go
scroll down on all users. You can use this to single out a player. ^-^
Please check this.
I love cats...! :3

Mafia is like 'Where is Waldo,' ... so uh, where IS Waldo anyway?
Carl Sagan
Carl Sagan
Townie
Carl Sagan
Townie
Townie

Post Post #269 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:25 pm

Post by Carl Sagan »

Totals so far:

Confessed Mafia: 0
Confessed may be Mafia: Netopolis
Confessed Townies: everyone else

Please quote back any materials, anywhere that state the IC must make this confession during the game. Let us be specific, this was a statement after the start of game.
There are no rules for a random voting period or "just insulting one another" period. It is a matter of life and death of the town and every statement in-game is important.
If you have stated this is a requirement without finding that exact requirement outlined in the instructions given to ICs, you might be overreaching in your conclusions.
Unsight
Unsight
Goon
Unsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #270 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:30 pm

Post by Unsight »

Fiyr wrote:
Unsight wrote:I agree with Julano, I'd like to see a list of players from you with your opinions on them. From your last few posts, it seems like we've managed to go 10 pages without you being able to produce one person that you're actually even suspicious of.

I'm not going to lie to you; that's really bad.
I must say, I agree too. I'm working on a person-by-person analysis right now and will include my suspicions in there.
Yay! :)

Fiyr wrote:
Unsight wrote:Plus if the arguments are bad, then the person being attacked should be able to defend herself easily on her own. If they're good arguments then it'd be a bad idea to defend the person anyway because she could easily be mafia.
Once again, I care more about attacking the case than defending the person. If I see something that I have an opinion on, chances are I'll say something.
This wasn't aimed at you. Just me thinking aloud. I'm the same way though. I prefer to be actively hunting scum and the more everyone talks, the more information I have to hunt.

Also, I remember someone earlier in the thread asking if a weak argument is a scum tell. In my opinion, a weak argument is not a scum tell by itself. Anyone can make bad or weak arguments, town or mafia. However, a lot of weak arguments would seem to be an indication of scum or, at worst, an unhelpful townie.
Unsight
Unsight
Goon
Unsight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #271 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:39 pm

Post by Unsight »

Carl Sagan wrote:Totals so far:

Please quote back any materials, anywhere that state the IC must make this confession during the game. Let us be specific, this was a statement after the start of game.
There are no rules for a random voting period or "just insulting one another" period. It is a matter of life and death of the town and every statement in-game is important.
If you have stated this is a requirement without finding that exact requirement outlined in the instructions given to ICs, you might be overreaching in your conclusions.
Vote: Carl Sagan
(L-3)
  • You're not contributing useful content.
  • You're not responding to people talking to or about you.
  • You're not actively scumhunting.
  • You're very much tunneling on Netopalis.
  • I feel you've deliberately attempted to mislead the town with multiple posts.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #272 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:43 pm

Post by Netopalis »

For the love of all that is good and holy....

No. It's not something that I'm necessarily required to do, it's something that I do because I try to hold myself to an ethical code above and beyond the norm.

In this game, at post 110, I make the same disclaimer as town:
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12735

If you want to find me scummy, fine, but at least answer to my arguments against you.

I'm not going to restate this again: This is something I generally do when I IC. It is a bloody stupid thing to suspect somebody over, and quite frankly, I'm getting tired of it. In short, Sagan, do some real scumhunting rather than waiting for someone to make some sort of a "slip up". Realistically, "slip ups" never happen.

McGriddle
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #273 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:35 pm

Post by McGriddle »

okay, I understand your views on this game as it should be taken seriously all the time, and I respect that. I will try to be more lax when it comes to your analysis' and posts. That being said, could you refer us (The town) to the post where Netopalis confessed himself a possible scum?
Wins/Losses - 99/15

Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #274 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:02 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

Bump.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”