Newbie 906 - Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Apathy
Apathy
Townie
Apathy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #550 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:30 am

Post by Apathy »

My gf of 1 year and I broke up, and I have 2 jobs to maintain with no internet/computer at my house. (its been a fun weekend [/sarcasm] )

Sorry for my previous outburst. I was a little offended at the way the attacks on me were playing out (not to the substance themselves), however, I dont have the time nor the cognitive ability at this point to follow this game.

Please understand, Im not in a proper place mentally.

Mod: I am officially requesting to be replaced

To everyone else: Good luck getting the scummies :)
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #551 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:31 am

Post by jmurph3 »

Did Apathy ever say when on Monday he was going to post his promised long post?
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #552 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:31 am

Post by jmurph3 »

EBWOP Did not preview and thus did not see Apathy's post.
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #553 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:36 am

Post by jmurph3 »

Apathy wrote:
Mod: I am officially requesting to be replaced

To everyone else: Good luck getting the scummies :)
Ok, so now here's my question: would it be more beneficial to the town to lynch Apathy, knowing that he is going to be replaced and that we're going to have to deal with a replacement this late in the day which might not be beneficial to our scumhunting, or do we assume that because he is asking to be replaced that he is most likely town (I believe the argument was used earlier that scum don't want to replace because the game is more interesting to them), and thus we should lynch someone else?

OR do we play the WIFOM argument that since Apathy is requesting to be replaced instead of giving an actual defense that he clearly must be scum and then should be lynched anyway? (Note: I do not actually believe this argument. I'm just asking for the sake of asking).

However it plays out, I have to say, I did not expect this turn of events.
jammer
jammer
Goon
jammer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #554 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:58 am

Post by jammer »

Looking at recent posts from me, I'm surprised noone accused me of tunneling fuzzy. I'm not going to mention fuzzy this post.

The current case I can see on Apathy from a ISO, correct me if I'm wrong. And please add in if I miss something important.

* Low activity.
* In his first come back post, he didn't make a real stance on most players.
* For the comment: Prana - has maintained a large amount of pressure on ray, only to slowly start to ease off now that a few more players are coming to ray's defense (or more precisely, to attack Prana) //He wasn't attacked at all.
* Accuses Prana for pushing on ray while suspecting Ray himself.
Annoyances
* AtE's, i'm town you all fail!
* Keep repeating Ray is scummy, he's scum it's obvious why don't you all see it!

Skill006 wrote:
jammer wrote:fuzzy: I see a lot of questions, and a lack of analysis.
I got the idea his posts are filled with questions towards others and a lot of text that to me they seem like a useless filler.
My interpretation is scum, that does a act on finding scum. I see rather little if any in his posts that would help me in finding scum.
The case on jmurph started weak, that's not bad as it was rather early in-game. The problem I more have with it, that when he is referring to jmurph, and reasons for voting her, as bad town, and not so much as possible scum.
I also don't like the contradiction, putting a FoS on prana for attacking RF, and later calling it town vs. town fight.

I say scum right here.

jmurph3:
Lot of useless talking in the start.
A OMGUS on one of her voters.
Did not defend herself because she thought defending yourself seems scummy.
Followed Apathy vote on RayFrost.(I think she decently explained later why she did, though.
Lynching Ray, and looking at redbox if Frost flips town, looks really really bad.

Scummy.
He was restating other people's suspicions at that point. Of course, he
had
just replaced in, but that doesn't mean he should not bring anything of his own in.
...fuzzy's suspicion was stated before?
Points on jmurph where mostly stated before, altough the not defending herself because defending is scummy, came from me.
After witch fuzzy added non-defending in his arguments for suspecting jmurph.
Not mentioning fuzzy.
Skill006 wrote:
jammer wrote:Basically the scummy stuff.
He accuses Prana for pushing hard on Ray together with Ray as his prime suspect.
Wishy washy ness with redbox, skill and fuzzy.
Not willing to respond to points from prana, RF.
Stuff other people said...
I stated what I though was noteworthy, that it might been said before. Doesn't change what I think about it.
Last point 'not willing to respond back' has been said before I know I've seen it.

I can't find that someone else posted the wishy washyness about those players, well not all of them.
Also not that someone else said suspecting Ray in combination with prana was strange.

I'm not stealing points and pretending I made them myself.
pe's 'summary', could be explained as copying points as well, as you did explain it like that. Almost Fuzzys whole game could be explained this way.
Tunnel less pl0x.
Skill006 wrote:
jammer wrote:The 'OMG ur role-fishing' bit is blown up. The VT could been made at the time as something shorter then towny. Altough, VT does mean vanilla towny I could easily see someone making the mistake.
(towny is not a role, vanilla towny is a role.)
If this is talking about apathy, I have no idea what he's reffering to...
Apathy said with someone "if VT" or something along those lines, Ray got mad "You shall not rolefish" or something.

Skill006 wrote: Basically saying here "yeah, I assumed, but that still is my reasoning against her, and it is enough for a vote" Or at least I think he's saying that, 'cause if he is...what kind of logic
is
that?
I said it was not enough for a vote. Quite the opposite.

And basically this.
jmurph3 wrote:And to be honest, isn't this game really about differences in opinion? You can read something one player says one way, and get town out of it, whereas I can read the same thing a different way, and get scum out of it. One of us will be wrong. In this case, it's you.
Skill006 wrote: Wait...why should you have to rethink anything? You don't know what was going through your brain at that time? We could take that to mean you were just typing something for the sake of attacking him.
More in the sence I was mixing things up earlier. That comment came from it. And yes, you could interpretate it different ways.

@jmurph, replacing is not more likely to be town.
More likely playing as town or scum depends on how someone likes the role, not the same for everyone.
He likely got a actual RL issue for replacing out.
And I think Apathy said he was going to post the big post on friday.
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #555 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:26 am

Post by PranaDevil »

Sorry to hear about the gf Apathy.

In response to jmurph's comment though, personally I still favour the Apathy lynch, if people feel he's scummy anyway, allowing the slot to be replaced and someone to take time to catch up (and therefore not lynch them) because of that, would likely hurt town. I still feel Apathy has played scummy, (though I don't doubt the gf thing, sometimes real life stuff comes up, and while I put myself heavier into mafia when me and my ex broke up a couple of weeks back, I understand not wanting to).

Therefore I am still going to...

vote: Apathy

As for Skill, I'm still unsure. Wanting to defend people who are being targetted wrongly? That's fine by me, but defending everyone is... a strange tactic, if you don't make some form of attack, you're also not pressuring potential scum, just asking people to explain further why they think things (potentially drawing things out and making it harder to read... not that I've helped with that previously).

The jumping off of Ray despite knowing he was scum in a previous game... that's fine, you make mistakes, but what happened in that game regarding that should solely be used to learn not to make that mistake again, not used as a reason for not doing something in this one when it would lead right back to the same direction (not voting someone you believe is scum).

Also, in the same post we get from Skill:
Well, right now I'm not voting anyone because apathy is making us wait(s'already been two days) and I want to see jammer's defense for my case.
Which is followed up just a few paragraphs down with:
vote:jammer Not only am I suspicious because of my case, but he needs to start talking. He has the least amount of stuff in this thread, now, and I could almost call him out for active lurking if it weren't for the fact that I'm pretty convinced he is gone due to RL issues.
Erm... you want to wait to vote to hear his defense, but will still vote for him?

Right now, Apathy still feels like the right choice, I feel Apathy is scum regardless, but I'm starting to get more of a feeling Skill could well be scum, even more so when you consider the rather weak case on jammer (to me at least) followed up with a vote on him a mere 2 days before deadline, when it's highly unlikely to end in a jammer lynch, as though voting just for the sake of it so it can't be said she hasn't voted.
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #556 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:58 am

Post by jmurph3 »

PranaDevil wrote:In response to jmurph's comment though, personally I still favour the Apathy lynch, if people feel he's scummy anyway, allowing the slot to be replaced and someone to take time to catch up (and therefore not lynch them) because of that, would likely hurt town. I still feel Apathy has played scummy, (though I don't doubt the gf thing, sometimes real life stuff comes up, and while I put myself heavier into mafia when me and my ex broke up a couple of weeks back, I understand not wanting to).
Prana, I agree.

But I want to wait to hear others' opinions before doing anything.
fuzzylightning
fuzzylightning
Goon
fuzzylightning
Goon
Goon

Post Post #557 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:39 am

Post by fuzzylightning »

I have made my views on this known before, I believe that Apathy is still the best lynch for the day. I think allowing the replacement to catch up would be less beneficial to the town than just lynching Apathy and taking the information that we would receive from his flip. I believe that more people have Apathy on their short list to lynch than any one else, so lynching another player would be "settling" for a lynch rather than being a lynch that we believe to be scum.
2-1 as Town (including the 39 minute final day)
0-1 as Mafia
Phaen
Phaen
Goon
Phaen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #558 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:27 am

Post by Phaen »

Apathy promises a post & then gives up and asks for a replacement?

My posts have been getting shorter because I'm losing interest. I feel like there really isn't much real development going on these past few RL days. I may be wrong though because I haven't been reading as closely as I used to. I've been waiting for Apathy to come up with a decent defense and he hasn't.

I'm fairly confident lynching Apathy is our best choice today.
We could search for the other scum, but we only have (I think) 2 days left.

I don't see the point of waiting for a replacement. The slot is scum.
I'm a chocoholic. I just can't live without that chocohol!
Skill006
Skill006
Goon
Skill006
Goon
Goon

Post Post #559 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:00 pm

Post by Skill006 »

...I had a feeling apathy would replace out sooner or later, he seemed to be having some RL issues since he started posting.
jammer wrote:...fuzzy's suspicion was stated before?
I thought so...maybe it wasn't :? There's a lot to read through to find if you did restate or not, but it may not even be worth the trouble as restating a case prob. isn't that scummy (as many of us, including myself, have done it)
jammer wrote:I stated what I though was noteworthy, that it might been said before. Doesn't change what I think about it.
Last point 'not willing to respond back' has been said before I know I've seen it.
Repeating a case on someone and not even giving a clear stance kind of seems...I dunno. I don't get the point of that. So you thought it was noteworthy, but in what way? You can't expound upon any of it?
jammer wrote:I'm not stealing points and pretending I made them myself.
I know, not even scum would do that. But it still nicely fills your posts. Although, I have seen other things of yours that are from your own mouth, so I suppose you're ok-ish on that.
jammer wrote:pe's 'summary', could be explained as copying points as well, as you did explain it like that. Almost Fuzzys whole game could be explained this way.
Ok. That doesn't make it excusable, though.
jammer wrote:Apathy said with someone "if VT" or something along those lines, Ray got mad "You shall not rolefish" or something.
Oh, I missed that. sorry :)
jammer wrote:I said it was not enough for a vote. Quite the opposite.
Really? Here's what you said:
jammer wrote:Idd, I'm assuming, what you say is a possible explanation.
I didn't mean to state what I said as a fact merely trying to get out why I thought it was suspicious.
Note I'm not 100% sure my reasoning is the right one. If it was, it is with the 'lieing'(it would mean she lied heavily about what she meant) from her.
Enough to place a vote on her.

The conclusions I get are majorly set on the assumption jmurph is lining up lynches.
Ok, the bolded part is awfully confusing and could easily be misinterpreted (I'm not saying you put that there intentionally to fool someone, it just seems obscure). The reasoning you put forth depends on what she does in the future, so it really shouldn't have been used against her.
jammer wrote:More in the sence I was mixing things up earlier. That comment came from it. And yes, you could interpretate it different ways.
...What are you talking about? How could you "mix things up"? You quoted a quote from Ray and said "deflecting much?", Ray had said "Skill needs to take a stance". How can there be confusion there?
prana wrote:As for Skill, I'm still unsure. Wanting to defend people who are being targetted wrongly? That's fine by me, but defending everyone is... a strange tactic, if you don't make some form of attack, you're also not pressuring potential scum, just asking people to explain further why they think things (potentially drawing things out and making it harder to read... not that I've helped with that previously).
Did you not find anything good in my defense, anything that you found some truth in? Anyhow, I'm trying to attack someone but its not someone you agree with me on. Sorry. And my other scum read would lead us in circles and if I did anything about it, would just "stall" the town.
prana wrote:Erm... you want to wait to vote to hear his defense, but will still vote for him?
Yah. I voted him because he needed to post something, and he was slipping by without giving much. My case on him had little to do with my vote, its more his inactivity and his getting away with it. I'm not gonna take off my vote just yet.
prana wrote:but I'm starting to get more of a feeling Skill could well be scum, even more so when you consider the rather weak case on jammer (to me at least) followed up with a vote on him a mere 2 days before deadline, when it's highly unlikely to end in a jammer lynch, as though voting just for the sake of it so it can't be said she hasn't voted.

Ok, what's scummy about me? Defending too many people? My "weak case" and vote on him before deadline isn't with the purpose of lynching him, I don't vote people just to form BWs. He just hasn't posted very much content. Although, you bring up the point that it's way too close to deadline. Now's not the time for me to be scumhunting.

unvote
I don't even care if this is scummy anymore, I just want to start focusing my attention on what we should do about apathy, rather than lead the town in 50 different ways.

I agree that it would be awful if somebody had to replace apathy at this point, both for the replacement and us. However, I'm gonna take a closer look at apathy to see if I really want to lynch him or not. I don't want to lynch him just because he's asking for a replacement (not the only reaosn, but I'm still gonna go back)
Skill006
Skill006
Goon
Skill006
Goon
Goon

Post Post #560 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:03 pm

Post by Skill006 »

Phaen wrote:Apathy promises a post & then gives up and asks for a replacement?

My posts have been getting shorter because I'm losing interest. I feel like there really isn't much real development going on these past few RL days. I may be wrong though because I haven't been reading as closely as I used to. I've been waiting for Apathy to come up with a decent defense and he hasn't.
Maybe there's something you could do about it yourself? Were you scumhunting in other areas? I know its dreadfully boring waiting for someone to post, but he isn't the only guy around.
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #561 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:49 pm

Post by jmurph3 »

Still waiting on opinions, if any, from Paltry and Ray regarding the Apathy slot.

Also, @Jammer, what do you think we should do about Apathy? The only thing you said was
jammer wrote:@jmurph, replacing is not more likely to be town.
More likely playing as town or scum depends on how someone likes the role, not the same for everyone.
He likely got a actual RL issue for replacing out.
PaltryExcuse
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #562 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:58 pm

Post by PaltryExcuse »

My view on Apathy? Hasn't changed.

I'd still much rather lynch jmurph3. But, I plan to be on as close to deadline as possible to lynch if necessary.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #563 (ISO) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Post by Kison »

Day One: Vote Count

Apathy (
) : Phaen, RayFrost, fuzzylightning, PranaDevil
fuzzylightning (
) : jammer, jmurph3
jmurph3 (
) : PaltryExcuse
RayFrost (
) : Apathy

Not Voting (
) : Skill006

With
alive, it will take
votes to lynch.

The day's deadline is currently set to:
February 24th, 2010, 11:59:59 PM, EST

Looking for a replacement for Apathy.

Last edited by Kison on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #564 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:50 am

Post by Kison »

Zorblag replaces Apathy.
Skill006
Skill006
Goon
Skill006
Goon
Goon

Post Post #565 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:57 am

Post by Skill006 »

@kison: I unvoted jammer :)

Fixed. Thanks!

Well, now we have a replacement (hi zorblag!), so we better wait a little before hammering.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #566 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:00 am

Post by Zorblag »

Unvote

Good day. I'm replacing Apathy in the game and at a glance it looks like I've got some quick legwork to do. I see that I'm now at L-1. I see that the deadline is tomorrow. I'm going to give the game a quick skim and get caught up to speed.

I recognize a couple names on the player list but I think that I've only got direct experience playing with RayFrost. It's good to meet the rest of you. You're welcome to call me Zorblag, Zorb, Zor, Z or Troll, whatever you'd like. If you're curious about my play you're welcome to take a look at any of my games in my wiki (link at the bottom of this post.) In case someone hammers me before I have a chance to say anything more I'll take this opportunity to lay down what I think are a set of useful rules of thumb.
Zorblag wrote:Here are some rules of thumb that I like a lot for the current newbie setup. There are no absolute rules in mafia and others might disagree about some of them (and I'm happy to discuss them so long as we don't detract from the game itself by doing it) but I'm a fairly traditional/conservative player and find these to be useful.

1. Townies without power roles should not lie about their role except in very specific situations (which are unlikely to come up in newbie games.) Lying to save yourself from a lynch as a vanilla townie is much more likely to hurt the town than to help in the long run.

2. Townies without power roles should generally not claim to be vanilla townies. This makes it easier for the scum to figure out who the power roles are if there are any. Assuming that townies are following rule 1 they should avoid making claims other than simply being a pro-town role unless there is some strategy that the Town is using (e.g. massclaim at LyLo) or they are about to be lynched anyhow and keeping their non-power role status no longer makes it easier for the scum to find power roles.

3. If you suspect someone else of having a power role you shouldn't out them. Support them if you see a way to do it that doesn't out them and watch carefully to see if there are reasons to reassess your belief. Leave the claim of the power role to them unless you think that they will be lynched while they are away and wouldn't be able to make the claim them self.

4. If you do have a power role you should keep it hidden for now. Do not let yourself get lynched without revealing it but there is no reason to advertise it at the start in the setups that we could be in. If the scum know who have the power roles now they have the power to lynch or role block powers during the night and negate their usefulness.

5. If you're town, don't self hammer. This kills a pro town role and hurts the town's chances in the long run. It's much better to try to defend yourself or at the very least force the other players to place the last vote. There are exceptions when a deadline is involved but in general don't think that you're doing the town any favors by self hammering.

If any of those are unclear please do ask about them.
There is a bit of discussion involving them (as well as other good advice for new players) in this thread in the Mafia Discussion Forum.

Without any further ado I'm going to get to the game itself now. If you've got specific areas that you'd like me to pay attention to or specific questions you want me to answer feel free to point them out and I'll try to make sure I give you my take on whatever has happened.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #567 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 am

Post by PranaDevil »

unvote

While I'm currently still up for the Apathy/Troll (:P) lynch, I also know (from looking round the site) that he's not likely to hold back and keep us waiting, so I'll give him chance to say his piece.

Factor in that there's (in my mind) still the possibility of a fuzzy lynch (or something else if all can agree in swift order, though doubtful this late in the game day), and I at least want to give him a chance, after all, waiting for one post is unlikely to kill us as town even if we do lynch him.
Phaen
Phaen
Goon
Phaen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #568 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:34 am

Post by Phaen »

Sigh, I can't really imagine getting much of a read on Troll in the ~30 hrs we have left =/
I'm a chocoholic. I just can't live without that chocohol!
Skill006
Skill006
Goon
Skill006
Goon
Goon

Post Post #569 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:45 am

Post by Skill006 »

Phaen wrote:Sigh, I can't really imagine getting much of a read on Troll in the ~30 hrs we have left =/
May as well give him a chance. He'll be able to help us, I'm sure.

Anyway, are you gonna answer these [Phaen]?
I wrote:Maybe there's something you could do about it yourself? Were you scumhunting in other areas? I know its dreadfully boring waiting for someone to post, but he isn't the only guy around.
They weren't rhetorical.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #570 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:49 am

Post by Zorblag »

Just checking in with a minor progress update.

@RayFrost, why the town read for jmurph3 in Post 126? I see observations on her part that she's being attacked which aren't much of a tell one way or the other. Perhaps you explain that later but in case you didn't what was your motivation there?

I've made it through the first 5 pages thus far. RayFrost does strike me as working towards helping the town in that early stretch so he's thus far an initial town read. fuzzylightning and PaltryExcuse both seem to be aware of the correct way to play the game but I haven't yet seen them jumping in and making a difference.

Redbox's early play seems hollow. PranaDevil is thus far largely consistent regarding scummy (the things he views as scummy aren't the actions that he's taking.) jmurph3 has made almost no impression at that point and Skill006 started on an unfortunate foot and then seems to have faded away. I'm not quite sure what to make of kelyn yet (and I know that they get replaced) but I seem to get an odd mix of aware/unaware of how the game will likely go from him thus far.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Skill006
Skill006
Goon
Skill006
Goon
Goon

Post Post #571 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:54 am

Post by Skill006 »

troll wrote:PranaDevil is thus far largely consistent regarding scummy (the things he views as scummy aren't the actions that he's taking.)
Not to interrupt your reading, but do you think you could explain this? (sorry, I know you're in a pressured spot ^_^;;)
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #572 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:07 pm

Post by Zorblag »

@Skill006, yeah, PranaDevil seems to be working on the principle that vote hopping (at least often) is fairly scummy. He also seems to be willing to express changing suspicions without changing his vote. It feels like he kept an early vote on RayFrost for longer than I would have expected given what he was saying about others. Right now it's just an observation. I think that in the first 7 pages I've probably got a bit of a town read on PranaDevil because I don't think that he's playing any of a number of easier paths he could go for if he were scum.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
jammer
jammer
Goon
jammer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #573 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:21 pm

Post by jammer »

@jmurph, I don't think we should stop any lynching if the player gets replaced.

I can see why Apathy gets voted, he's pretty scummy. Problem is I can't see why he would act like he did from a scum perspective. Why would he switch opinion about prana that quick town-scum-town-scum, call everyone in the game idiots for voting him.

I like fuzzy most as a lynch. I hammer anything when it comes to deadline. And Apathy isn't a bad lynch.

And welcome Zorblag, seeing you in a other position then last time, pretty big quote to say you're not supposed to; fakeclaim, rolefish, unneedingly claim and selfhammer. :/
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #574 (ISO) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:35 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Zorblag wrote:Just checking in with a minor progress update.

@RayFrost, why the town read for jmurph3 in Post 126? I see observations on her part that she's being attacked which aren't much of a tell one way or the other. Perhaps you explain that later but in case you didn't what was your motivation there?
1. I felt it was a scummy wagon, which would decrease the likelihood of jmurph scum

2. jmurph's posting up to that point gave me good vibes here and there
don't you feel silly now?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”