Mini 911 - Mike's Pizzeria Mafia (Game Over)

Dragonfly13
Dragonfly13
Goon
Dragonfly13
Goon
Goon

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:53 pm

Post by Dragonfly13 »

Votecount #6

L-2
Seven (5) - chamber, HomerSimpson, Cuetlachtli, Thor665, DeathRowKitty
Idiotking (2) - Lastsurvivor, danakillsu
danakillsu (1) - Parama
Thor665 (1) - Idiotking
DeathRowKitty (1) - SeerPenguin

Not Voting (2) - DiamondCrash, Seven

With 12 alive, it takes 7 to lynch.
Deadline: 11:00PM U.S. Central Time, Saturday, January 30, 2010

HomerSimpson has been prodded.
Sorry, DRK, I can't count it. :roll:
Need [color=blue]0[/color] replacement(s) for [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13188]Mini 911[/url].
Seven
Seven
Goon
Seven
Goon
Goon

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:44 pm

Post by Seven »

Responding continues...

IK:

Seven, you seem pretty hellbent on making sure everyone knows you're new at this. Why is that? Do you think that people will not critique you as hard if you say that? If not, then what could you possibly gain from telling everyone that you're new?

[continued]

Because thusfar you've either referenced or blatantly stated your new-ness in at least four separate posts. Not to mention all the hedging in your posts. For someone trying to feign confidence, you don't seem to be doing so well at it.
Not sure what to say about this, I didn't realize I repeated myself so many times. The only real point in mentioning it was to say that if I succomb to any obvious logical fallacies here, let me know. I think it's somewhat relevant whether a player is basing their arguments on several games experience vs one.

Parama:

And Cuet's vote here is pretty weird... if he's assuming you're scum then he should be advocating your lynch with Seven being a potential candidate for lynch the next day depending on what you would flip. So Cuet's vote being on Seven bothers me... logically, it doesn't follow from his post.
This goes back to the same thing I asked DRK at the beginning of the game while we were still in RVS... (why he was voting SP instead of Cue at that point). Even if it was RVS I think it's interesting that he chose to vote with SP and at this point they seem to be siding. I'm not saying this is a tell, just interesting to point out.
And again, this makes me think there's a Seven-SP scumteam here. DRK is acting a little jumpy with his suspicions but he seems to just be trying to scumhunt to me, though some of his points seem a little forced. Meh.
And then Seven's 125 is another thing... the scum would be able to answer for their buddies on most questions I'd think.
127-128 Seven is being too defensive. Townies wouldn't care as much if they got lynched - there's a lot more of them and you don't have to be alive to win as town. These are not townie responses to suspicions.
Again, I will defend anyone I think is town. Thor pointed out a good reason not to answer for SP at that time, and I realize it was a mistake now but I stand by everything else.
And yet a lack of scumhunting, I'd assume?

Not at all. I was saying what the content of my own post was going to be.
DRK provided pretty good reasons for you being scum. His posts don't come off as bandwagoning. Your particular statement here comes off as deflecting.
I simply don't agree with his reasonings at all. He started off with his rant on SP for stuff that seems completely ridiculous IMO and once the focus was shifted from their petty argument to me he jumped right in. I consider that wagoning.
Do you understand why this is scummy? Answering for another player makes it seem like you're trying to cover that other player's actions and defend them. Plus, scum could easily answer for each other because they have the same goal and likely the same target.
At the time I didn't see this. I really thought I was helping out, someone even stated earlier on in the game that answering for someone else was scummy and I ignored it. I think I've probably answered questions for someone else at a couple other points in the game as well, I'd have to look back and check but anyway... Thor explained why it was a bad call and I get it now.
Hmm, yes, Cuet's posts are a little... odd... but you're really only making yourself look bad at this point.
Apparently.
Eek, don't like this at all...
1. It's not really a moral high ground as much as an attempt to lie low.
2. Self defense and trying to make yourself look more townie is a scum thing to do, really. Townies will look townie because they are townie and don't have to try to look townie.
3. Noobclaiming is a terrible terrible thing to do. Regardless of alignment you should never do this, it's just so... pointless.
1. If I were trying to "lie low", I would have just voted X-| Honestly...
2. How am I trying to make myself look town? I'm not doing anything forced.
3. Got that now...

DC:

It may be that that post was made as a sarcastic post; possibly the answer to the post he answered was so obvious it didn't even need the person it was directed towards to answer?
I don't know if sarcastic is the word, exactly, but yeah I definitely thought the answer was pretty damn obvious.

DRK:

Most of this isn't even worth responding to. I mostly posted it just to say that. Hope you don't mind. Just for the fun of it though, my answer to two things from this post are "no" and "you."
Helpful. Really. *rolls eyes*
Also, I italicized two of the sentences because I found them funny when read in tandem.
I was talking about two separate posts.
I'll leave you to figure out which ones.

SP now seems genuine to me. Probably town. But very misinformed town.
Care to say why?

Before I get lynched (since things seem to be going that way) I'd like to at least be given enough time to post my thoughts on each player individually. I'll do it tomorrow so if you can keep your rocks in your pockets until then that would be great. I was going to do it tonight but I didn't realize there would be so much to read.

Also I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to claim? I thought that's what I was doing, I've tried to respond to each of your statements individually. I'll do this tomorrow as well, I just need to know what exactly I'm supposed to do besides reiterate what I've already said.
Seven
Seven
Goon
Seven
Goon
Goon

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:48 pm

Post by Seven »

EBWOP:
This goes back to the same thing I asked DRK at the beginning of the game while we were still in RVS... (why he was voting SP instead of Cue at that point).
Even if it was RVS I think it's interesting that he chose to vote with SP and at this point they seem to be siding.
I'm not saying this is a tell, just interesting to point out.
Sentence doesn't really make sense... I was saying it's interesting DRK decided to vote SP instead of Cue at that point in RVS, and then continued to jab at SP, and is currently siding with Cue. (My use of "siding" here is to be taken loosely...)
"You smell like carnies and grade 9 date night."
Town (W/L): 1/2
Mafia (W/L): 1/0
HomerSimpson
HomerSimpson
Townie
HomerSimpson
Townie
Townie

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:11 pm

Post by HomerSimpson »

Wow.. I've missed a lot. Sorry about being LA without notice. Only expected to be gone like 24 hours till excessive work and other RL stuff came up (I'm engaged now :D)

But on to the relevant stuff..

I've never seen a double replacement like that. I don't find anything scummy in the way flare guy was treated though. Unfair, possibly, (though probably not- unwillingness of a replacement to read is obnoxious), but I don't consider anything that happened to be a scumtell.

DRK vs SP

I'm not sure what to think about all that. Seemed kind of stupid and petty, and I can see how it could be interpreted as scum bussing/distancing each other in a distraction. It comes off kind of anti-town, but I do see the pro-town value in discussion. I really don't know what to think about it... I just did a reread, had a lot to catch up on. I'll probably do a PBPA foucsing on that whole conflict tomorrow. I got my eye on both of you.

But the matter most at hand is
the Seven bandwagon:

I stated before I went V/LA that I was getting pro-town vibes from him, but I forgot to unvote him. Now I'm glad I didn't. I think you're looking the scummiest again.

On answering for SP, it is a little scummy, or at least anti-town, for the very reason given by Thor. But at the same time, I did this once before, albeit earlier in the game and on something that I thought was totally obvious, and I got my balls busted for it. You did just point out facts (quotes), not really give opinion, so I don't think much harm was done, nor do I think
that
was necessarily scummy in itself. But it did come off as you defending SP. Defending a player you believe to be pro-town is pro-town, but I do see why some are saying you and SP are a scumpair. (As to why vote Seven instead of SP, it's obviously because Seven has given us more reason to believe he is scum.. and if we're right, we have a good idea who to interrogate next) I also feel like you're attacking DRK a lot, who seems to be SP's 'nemesis' of sorts, which strengthens the scumpair idea. Note that your pattern of defending SP, and vice versa, was (correctly) picked up by Cue before you answered the question (see his ISO post 5). I picked this up too as I was getting caught up. But this is heavily circumstantial speculation at this point.

[qupte="SeerPenguin post #98"]Oh boy, scum-group speculation this early?

Cuet, do you understand why saying Seven is scum because he was defending hypo-scum me doesn't make any sense, considering I have not yet been revealed (As scum or otherwise), and that argument would not work unless I was revealed as scum. Therefore, your vote on Seven is based on me being scum, so why say you that I am scum?[/quote]
I disagree.. I think looking for scumpairs is always useful, but definitely more useful after one of the pair has been confirmed scum. But the greater point is that his constant defense of you is scummy in general, especially within a theory where you are hypo-scum.

Idiotking #140-141 wrote:Seven, you seem pretty hellbent on making sure everyone knows you're new at this. Why is that? Do you think that people will not critique you as hard if you say that? If not, then what could you possibly gain from telling everyone that you're new?
Because thusfar you've either referenced or blatantly stated your new-ness in at least four separate posts. Not to mention all the hedging in your posts. For someone trying to feign confidence, you don't seem to be doing so well at it.
Glad you pointed this out.. my thoughts exactly as I was reading those posts of his. I don't believe you've addressed this yet, Seven.

In response to why I voted for you originally:
Seven #11 ISO wrote:
HomerSimpson:

Second vote (first serious vote, I think): I'm suspicious for not participating in RVS.
Not exactly, it was your unwillingness to commit to a vote. Just to clear that up.

I don't really understand the point of him claiming.. what, to see if he claims a power role? If he is scum he will lie about it anyway. But could definitely be interesting, so I await what he says. I'm a little concerned we may be tunneled on him, but as I've pointed out, he does seem the scummiest. So for now, pending claim my vote stands.

I also want to
FOS: Idiotking
You're very abrasive, especially when suspicion is placed on you, like your conversation with danakillsu. Why do you react so badly? Does it scare you when votes are cast against you?

@Chamber: You seem to be lurking pretty hard. I know I disappeared too, but your posts are devoid of any analysis. Please post more, right now I have no read on you whatsoever other than suspicion for lurking.

@Thor: Your vote for Seven was originally to start/sustain a bandwagon. Are you comfortable keeping your vote there?

@DRK:
DRK #116 wrote:Scummy. SP seemed intent on putting unwarranted suspicion on Flare. SP was implicitly affirming his statement from his previous post that Flare was a "detriment to the town," even though his reason, that Flare hadn't read the game, wasn't true.
Are you suggesting that SP might have special knowledge of who is scum and who isn't (ie he is scum) based on his actions toward Flare? I'm not sure I agree with that analysis, but I'd like to hear you elaborate on it (beyond what you said in 118 if you can) if I'm understanding you right.
HomerSimpson
HomerSimpson
Townie
HomerSimpson
Townie
Townie

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:12 pm

Post by HomerSimpson »

EBWOP:

I see Seven has responded while I was submitting.. will have to review in the morning, way past my bed time.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:41 pm

Post by Thor665 »

HomerSimpson wrote:@Thor: Your vote for Seven was originally to start/sustain a bandwagon. Are you comfortable keeping your vote there?
Well...define 'keeping' I suppose is my answer.

I did initially put the vote on him to sustain a bandwagon and because of the available bandwagons he seemed most scummy to me for reasons previously outlined. I am happy with the amount of reactions this helped generate so am pleased about my vote currently and it's performance since it was put there.

Looking into the foggy future with all my powers of prognostication...eh? I have a few more reads on potential scum now then I did then and if any of them manage to bubble up as more obvious then Seven I will most assuredly switch the vote. As currently stands he still seems most scummy to me, so at the moment I shall stay there. If deadline were within the next ten minutes I would be content to lynch him.

I hope that answers your question since there appear to be a lot of variables inherent in it - if not just clarify the aspect you want expounded on.
Idiotking
Idiotking
Mafia Scum
Idiotking
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:16 am

Post by Idiotking »

Seven wrote:Responding continues...

IK:

Seven, you seem pretty hellbent on making sure everyone knows you're new at this. Why is that? Do you think that people will not critique you as hard if you say that? If not, then what could you possibly gain from telling everyone that you're new?

[continued]

Not sure what to say about this, I didn't realize I repeated myself so many times. The only real point in mentioning it was to say that if I succomb to any obvious logical fallacies here, let me know. I think it's somewhat relevant whether a player is basing their arguments on several games experience vs one.

It is not relevant at all. It shouldn't matter if you're new, because whether you're a new player or a veteran, we'll still lynch you if you screw up. Your response indicates that I was correct, that you were trying to get the town to go easy on you, or at least let some things slide if you make any "obvious logical fallacies".

FOS: Seven

Would be a vote but then that'd be too close to a lynch too early.

HomerSimpson wrote:
I also want to
FOS: Idiotking
You're very abrasive, especially when suspicion is placed on you, like your conversation with danakillsu. Why do you react so badly? Does it scare you when votes are cast against you?
I get terribly annoyed when people try and use their own concepts of how the game should be played and build a "case" against someone else whose only fault is that their playstyle is different. Not one of the accusations leveled against me had
anything
to do with my actions in the game, but rather the manner I took them ("aggressive"). As previously stated, aggressiveness is not a scumtell, and is in my mind highly pro-town.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:28 am

Post by Thor665 »

Out of curiosity Idiotking - why do you define aggressiveness as "highly pro-town" in nature?

It seems to my mind that, at best, it qualifies as a null tell. What am I missing?
Idiotking
Idiotking
Mafia Scum
Idiotking
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:00 am

Post by Idiotking »

If a player is aggressive, they're trying to push a point harder than most would, or trying to make someone slip. This means to me that they are putting more energy and emotion into their play, meaning that they have a higher chance to screw up and use logical fallacies. If the town catches on to this, momentum switches to the aggressive player.

To me this means that if scum screw up, they are caught. And it means that whoever is on the receiving end of the aggressiveness is also put under pressure, and will react accordingly. I firmly believe the best way to find scum is to break people open to see what the color of their blood is.
danakillsu
danakillsu
Mafia Scum
danakillsu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:05 am

Post by danakillsu »

Your bad argument is scummy to me.
How so? Does a perceived inability to back up my statements necessarily make me scum any more than being aggressive makes Idiotking scum?
Idiotking
Idiotking
Mafia Scum
Idiotking
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:07 am

Post by Idiotking »

Must... resist... obvious answer... to... question!!! Ahhh!!!
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:36 am

Post by Thor665 »

Idiotking wrote:If a player is aggressive, they're trying to push a point harder than most would, or trying to make someone slip. This means to me that they are putting more energy and emotion into their play, meaning that they have a higher chance to screw up and use logical fallacies. If the town catches on to this, momentum switches to the aggressive player.
Except that aggressiveness is a playstyle choice that is equally functional and disastrous to both scum and town.

I have just finished up on this site a pair of games with a player known as Ythan. He is *very* aggressive in his accusations and statements and gets very emotional and committed and makes multiple logical fallacies in his play. In one of the games he played in he was scum and had this aggressive playstyle throughout.

I agree that aggressive != scum. But still see no reason to accept a concept that aggressive = very pro town. There seems no basis for this concept unless we can find evidence that suggests a large percentage of aggressive players only play as such when town or that whenever scum become aggressive they are caught. Neither seems a likely result to turn up.
SeerPenguin
SeerPenguin
Townie
SeerPenguin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:28 am

Post by SeerPenguin »

Thor, do you believe that a random vote can have logic (Even bad logic) based reasons (Such as DRK's confirmation speculation) and still be considered a random vote? Just saying, I left the random out to make a point, I was actually hoping someone would catch that.

So, I joke, then DRK uses the fact that I did not immediately explain such a joke as reasons for a vote. He later calls this a joke and then you write it off as not a scumtell. You see, I joke and he calls me out for it, but then when he jokes, you right him off? If he is going to call me out for not explaining jokes and then wait almost 2 entire pages (21 to 67, granted, these were two consecutive DRK posts.) to explain that this may or may not have been a joke (He states that it was reasons for his RVS vote, which again, looks like he is trying to legitimatize his RVS vote on his very first post of the game. It's super scummy to do this, please at least look at this from the perspective that he called it a joke only after it had blown up in his face.) and you decide that his hypocrisy in this matter doesn't matter because it was only joking hypocrisy. There's a flaw in your logic there. Hypocrisy is hypocrisy.
[url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2084918#2084918]I don't need a signature...[/url]
Idiotking
Idiotking
Mafia Scum
Idiotking
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:32 am

Post by Idiotking »

Thor, that's why I said in my mind. It's an opinion, backed by experience, not data. I can't say it's true for everyone, but I can say that in most of the games I've played, aggressive players have a higher chance of screwing up, especially if they've got something to hide. Aggressiveness also gets more scrutiny, because why are they being so aggressive?

This leads me to conclude that it's pro-town. Whether or not you conclude differently has no bearing at all on my opinion until something else changes.
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog
Pronoun: she

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:53 am

Post by DeathRowKitty »

SP wrote:I continue to assert that I am not misreading or misrepping DRK. I may not have pin-pointed him as scum, but my reasons are certainly valid, would you not agree?
I disagree.
Thor wrote:My read on DRK is that I'm not too fond of his 4th post (post number via iso) because all of his 'find you scummy no matter what' stuff left me offput
Ironically, SP is the first player this game I've said is probably town. I'm disappointed in myself for failing to use my self-given easy way out of legitimately attempting to discern his alignment.
7 wrote:
DRK wrote:SP now seems genuine to me. Probably town. But very misinformed town.
Care to say why?
Just a feeling. He sounds more like overanxious newb-town who thinks he's caught scum than like newb-scum pushing a ridiculous case.
7 wrote:Also I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to claim? I thought that's what I was doing, I've tried to respond to each of your statements individually. I'll do this tomorrow as well, I just need to know what exactly I'm supposed to do besides reiterate what I've already said.
Something in the form "I am
role
" would suffice.
HS wrote:I don't really understand the point of him claiming.. what, to see if he claims a power role? If he is scum he will lie about it anyway. But could definitely be interesting, so I await what he says. I'm a little concerned we may be tunneled on him, but as I've pointed out, he does seem the scummiest. So for now, pending claim my vote stands.
If you don't see the point in him claiming, why do you want him to claim?
HS wrote:
DRK wrote:Scummy. SP seemed intent on putting unwarranted suspicion on Flare. SP was implicitly affirming his statement from his previous post that Flare was a "detriment to the town," even though his reason, that Flare hadn't read the game, wasn't true.
Are you suggesting that SP might have special knowledge of who is scum and who isn't (ie he is scum) based on his actions toward Flare? I'm not sure I agree with that analysis, but I'd like to hear you elaborate on it (beyond what you said in 118 if you can) if I'm understanding you right.
I was saying he was trying to make Flare look bad with no good reason, which is scummy. I now believe I just misunderstood him on this point.

Agressiveness is often a good thing if you're town, but overall, it's a null tell. There's nothing to stop scum from being just as agressive as town.
DiamondCrash
DiamondCrash
Goon
DiamondCrash
Goon
Goon

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:07 am

Post by DiamondCrash »

SeerPenguin wrote:...If he is going to call me out for not explaining jokes and then wait almost 2 entire pages (21 to 67, granted, these were two consecutive DRK posts.) to explain that this may or may not have been a joke (He states that it was reasons for his RVS vote, which again, looks like he is trying to legitimatize his RVS vote on his very first post of the game. It's super scummy to do this, please at least look at this from the perspective that he called it a joke only after it had blown up in his face.)
To be honest, it looks like
you're
the one trying to legitimise your vote. Read as; pulling at straws.

Vote SeerPenguin
Lastsurvivor
Lastsurvivor
Mafia Scum
Lastsurvivor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:21 am

Post by Lastsurvivor »

danakillsu wrote:
Your bad argument is scummy to me.
How so? Does a perceived inability to back up my statements necessarily make me scum any more than being aggressive makes Idiotking scum?
I agree with Thor when he says aggressiveness is a null tell.

Also, thanks for answering my questions. :)
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:25 pm

Post by Thor665 »

SeerPenguin wrote:Thor, do you believe that a random vote can have logic (Even bad logic) based reasons (Such as DRK's confirmation speculation) and still be considered a random vote?
Depends exactly how you define reasons - but yes. For example - I voted for the "reason" that I didn't like werdna's username. This is a reason. It is a bad reason to vote. And it is a random vote.
Just saying, I left the random out to make a point, I was actually hoping someone would catch that.
Catch it and bring it up so you could then do what? Admit that you wanted someone to catch it?
So, I joke, then DRK uses the fact that I did not immediately explain such a joke as reasons for a vote. He later calls this a joke and then you write it off as not a scumtell. You see, I joke and he calls me out for it, but then when he jokes, you right him off?
Well, rather you interpret it as a scum tell and I interpret it as not a tell at all (or perhaps a null tell - whichever you prefer to define it as). I didn't write him off for joking - I just didn't suspect him for joking. For the record I also didn't suspect you for joking. I'm not sure what you're driving at here...oh wait, apparently you're suggesting I'm part of some bad logic hypocrite organization;
and you decide that his hypocrisy in this matter doesn't matter because it was only joking hypocrisy. There's a flaw in your logic there. Hypocrisy is hypocrisy.
Hypocrisy is hypocrisy, but not all actions are hypocritical.

For instance; I voted for werdna due to the stated reason of his username bugging me.
If someone was to, at this point in the game, hop onto the Seven bus because they don't like his username I would call them out on it.
As far as I can tell you would then claim that I am hypocritical and use the fact that I joked about it as a reason to suggest I then have no right to question it if someone else does it and that if I do I am hypocritical.

The flaw in logic here is not mine.

And for the record I find the 2 pages between his explanation meaningless. He posted his vote, you posted a question, his very next post responded to the question (and as noted changed his vote, all prior to you pressuring him about said action).
SeerPenguin
SeerPenguin
Townie
SeerPenguin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:14 pm

Post by SeerPenguin »

Thor, you aren't the one being hypocritical, DRK is. That's what I'm driving at here.

Also, I wanted someone to catch it so that I could ask them the very question you answered in the first quote. You seem to have done so very gracefully.

I don't see how you could think that this discussion about DRK could be me attacking you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Also DRK, saying that you write me off as town because you think I am newbish is invalid for two reasons. One, I am an alt of iaretheman, and am therefore not a newb, and have played mafia more than just here, as well. Two, writing something that could very well be a scum tell as a newb tell simply isn't good, and a newb scum shouldn't be able to just flail like crazy and be written off as town for being a newbie.

I have a feeling this is you just trying to drop the case and run back to the shadows rather than a genuine read (Although, if you hadn't looked through my on-going games, you may not have known I was an alt.).
[url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2084918#2084918]I don't need a signature...[/url]
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog
Pronoun: she

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:26 pm

Post by DeathRowKitty »

I read another game of yours and knew you were an alt. I looked at one of your alt's games. I'm perfectly aware of your meta.

Finding scum is a matter of looking at intent. If I perceive that you have good intentions behind your actions, I'll think you're town, with your level of experience factoring in only for determining how much of your logic can be pinned down to simply not knowing.

I don't just arbitrarily say people are town.
HomerSimpson
HomerSimpson
Townie
HomerSimpson
Townie
Townie

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:41 pm

Post by HomerSimpson »

Seven wrote:
IK:

[continued]

I would say the majority of the time, it's not relevant. For one, it's really easy to claim inexperience as an excuse for scummy play. Secondly, you can't expect people to treat you differently because you are inexperienced. Also, treating an inexperienced player the same as everyone else and playing hard is how one gains good experience. I've used that defence before, legitimately, so it is something of a nulltell.. but using it repeatedly is something of a scumtell (easy excuse for scum to use). In your case, I could really see it either way, but I already think you're scummy and to my gut it does come of as excuse making.
Seven wrote:Also I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to claim? I thought that's what I was doing, I've tried to respond to each of your statements individually. I'll do this tomorrow as well, I just need to know what exactly I'm supposed to do besides reiterate what I've already said.
Um it means you tell us your role... Vanilla townie, doc, etc etc... (but be sure not to quote your PM from the mod, per the rules)
Thor wrote:Well...define 'keeping' I suppose is my answer.
I was just trying to ask if you really think he is scum now, or if your vote is just lingering from your trying to get discussiong going. I definitely consider my question answered now, thanks.
danakillsu wrote:Does a perceived inability to back up my statements necessarily make me scum any more than being aggressive makes Idiotking scum?
Yes.
DRK wrote:
HS wrote:HS wrote:
I don't really understand the point of him claiming.. what, to see if he claims a power role? If he is scum he will lie about it anyway. But could definitely be interesting, so I await what he says. I'm a little concerned we may be tunneled on him, but as I've pointed out, he does seem the scummiest. So for now, pending claim my vote stands.
If you don't see the point in him claiming, why do you want him to claim?
Well I kind of answered my own question of what the point might be in that quote, in a semi-rhetorical manner. I don't want to state my thinking behind that yet, so as not to give Seven any help if he is scum. Suffice it to say (as I did) that I think it will be "interesting."

Just to help clear up all this stuff about "random" and "is it still random if you have a reason, even a silly or bad one", which I think contributed somewhat to the whole DRK vs SP thing (even though I still haven't gone back and analyzed the whole tiff), by the strictest/actual definition of "random", NO having any reason is technically NOT random. But words in English aren't always used strictly according to their definition.. when we say "random vote" in this game, quite often we are not talking about a dice roll (which is pretty random, without getting offtopic), we just merely say 'random' as a placeholder for 'for a silly or non-suspicion based reason'. 'Random' is just easier and gets the point across, although inexactly. Such is communication.
Cuetlachtli
Cuetlachtli
Goon
Cuetlachtli
Goon
Goon

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:43 pm

Post by Cuetlachtli »

Seven wrote:EBWOP:
This goes back to the same thing I asked DRK at the beginning of the game while we were still in RVS... (why he was voting SP instead of Cue at that point).
Even if it was RVS I think it's interesting that he chose to vote with SP and at this point they seem to be siding.
I'm not saying this is a tell, just interesting to point out.
Sentence doesn't really make sense... I was saying it's interesting DRK decided to vote SP instead of Cue at that point in RVS, and then continued to jab at SP, and is currently siding with Cue. (My use of "siding" here is to be taken loosely...)
Yes and Chamber, your RVS vote, is voting with me too. Look, my initial vote on you was based on a soft scum tell. I wasn't sure if you were scum or not, but it could make for some good discussion. Since I vote for you Seven, both you and SP have strengthened my argument that you both are scum buddies. I mean you defended SP when I asked him a direct question intended for him only. You answered for him, even after I accused you of attempting to deflect attention away from him in the RVS. Also, SP claimed that you weren't acting very scummy at all when there wasn't that much content to make such a bold judgment. At that point in the game, we were barely out of RVS and the jist of what you posted was your opinion about RVS. You also made an outrageous claim that SP was town and that you answered my question for SP because you don't want to see a town get lynched. How the **** do you know that SP is town at this point in the game? Basically, the entire game, he has been bickering back and forth with DRK. FMPOV, there is absolutely no evidence that suggests that either of them are town. In mafia, only scum know who everyone is aligned with, so you and SP suggesting that each other is town is very scummy to me. Especially since there has been very little content to go by thus far.

Now about this question:
Seven wrote:
Cuetlachtli wrote:
SeerPenguin wrote:Btw peeps, Seven isn't looking very scummy,
however, DRK is. He is, in fact, the only person in this game that looks to be pushing suspicion on anyone, and I agree with him on that one fact, pushing unwarranted on someone is pretty freaking scummy.
Can you cite where DRK pushed suspicion on people please?

DRK post 1:

Vote: SeerPenguin

You and Cuetlachtli confirmed too close together (and were 10th and 11th). You must be scum. Discuss.

Also, you get my vote for not explaining your joke
DRK post 4:

Not only did he simul-confirm with Cuet, he also gave a joke without explanation. Withholding information is scummy.
I srongly suspect from this post that I'm going to find you scummy no matter what you do. I recently encountered someone with a similar tone to his posts and played the entire game (okay, so it only lasted two days...) thinking he was scum. Do you think it's scummy that I just gave myself an excuse to suspect you whenever I want?
DRK post 9:

Scummy. SP seemed intent on putting unwarranted suspicion on Flare. SP was implicitly affirming his statement from his previous post that Flare was a "detriment to the town," even though his reason, that Flare hadn't read the game, wasn't true.
DRK post 10:

SP seemed more like he was trying to push suspicion onto Flare, whereas Parama just wanted a policy lynch. Wanting a policy lynch is a null tell (well, I think so anyway). Pushing for suspicion on someone, especially while saying he didn't want a lynch for it, just looks like scum trying to make a townie look bad.
SP claimed that DRK had been pushing suspicion on anyone; meaning, FMPOV, that DRK had been trying to make cases on multiple people. I reread the thread and decided that DRK had only been pushing suspicion on SP only. I asked SP to cite where DRK had pushed suspicion on people because I knew that DRK had only pushed suspicion on SP and I wanted to get his reaction. What I got was both you and SP's reactions and they both were fail. Both of you only cited where DRK had pushed suspicion on SP. No where did I find where DRK had pushed suspicion on other people. Thus, I think SP's initial claim was an example of the straw man fallacy. The straw man fallacy is an attack of an exaggerated position. SP exaggerated DRK's position by claiming that he had been pushing suspicion on anyone. In actuality, DRK had only pushed suspicion on SP himself.
Cuetlachtli
Cuetlachtli
Goon
Cuetlachtli
Goon
Goon

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:55 pm

Post by Cuetlachtli »

Parama explain how my posts are odd please.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:28 pm

Post by Thor665 »

SeerPenguin wrote:Thor, you aren't the one being hypocritical, DRK is. That's what I'm driving at here...I don't see how you could think that this discussion about DRK could be me attacking you.
I didn't claim you were attacking me (though not an unreasonable read I'll concede). I claimed you were lumping me in with a group of bad logic hypocrites. You did specifically say there was a flaw in my logic which is why I translated it that you were saying I had bad logic. I will concede you didn't outright call me a hypocrite but I read the inference between the lines of this part of your post;
You see, I joke and he calls me out for it, but then when he jokes, you right him off?
You use a substitution here with this juxtaposition by showing that he voted for a joke and that I wrote someone off (which I didn't), and are clearly attempting to somehow connect the two actions - which is why I thought you were implying me as a hypocrite and derided the idea and tore at the logic problems I saw therein.
Also, I wanted someone to catch it so that I could ask them the very question you answered in the first quote. You seem to have done so very gracefully.
Thank you. But since you didn't address my issues raised with the concept of DRKs hypocrisy and then called him a hypocrite again I take it you still disagree with me vis'a'vi his hypocrisy?

I am serious - if you consider him a hypocrite for his actions would you consider me a hypocrite if I told someone they were foolish if they voted Day 2 because of someone's username?
and you decide that his hypocrisy in this matter doesn't matter because it was only joking hypocrisy. There's a flaw in your logic there. Hypocrisy is hypocrisy.
By your logic as I understand it if one is hypocrisy so is the other and whether or not we were joking has no bearing. - and I disagree with that and would like to hear you address this.
HomerSimpson wrote:Just to help clear up all this stuff about "random" ...by the strictest/actual definition of "random", NO having any reason is technically NOT random. But words in English aren't always used strictly according to their definition..
Oxford disagrees with you regarding the "actual" definition since there are multiple definitions for most given words (I submit for RVS they use the statistical one). That said, I do agree with you that within the game of Mafia on this site, RVS tends to popularly translate as you state rather then a specific definition. I believe SeerPenguin accepts this as well, as he has no issue with other joke RVS votes that he has expressed. The disagreement is whether or not DRK was 'serious' when he stated his reasons in RVS.
Seven
Seven
Goon
Seven
Goon
Goon

Post Post #199 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:46 pm

Post by Seven »

Jumping right into it again...

HS:

I also feel like you're attacking DRK a lot, who seems to be SP's 'nemesis' of sorts, which strengthens the scumpair idea. Note that your pattern of defending SP, and vice versa, was (correctly) picked up by Cue before you answered the question (see his ISO post 5). I picked this up too as I was getting caught up. But this is heavily circumstantial speculation at this point.
I'm going to get more into the DRK thing later when I go through his posts again, but yeah right now my feelings on him aren't great and they haven't been pretty much since game start. Even before he started going after SP for what I perceive to be bullshit reasons. Anyway I'll have a lot more to say about him once I get through reading, I expect... so far he's probably at the top of my list.
I disagree.. I think looking for scumpairs is always useful, but definitely more useful after one of the pair has been confirmed scum. But the greater point is that his constant defense of you is scummy in general, especially within a theory where you are hypo-scum.
I think it's always a bad idea to look for scumpairs before scum is lynched because it's harder to be objective on day 2. Even if I get lynched and flip town, you're still likely to go after SP next. Setting up a chain like this can only advantage mafia.
Glad you pointed this out.. my thoughts exactly as I was reading those posts of his. I don't believe you've addressed this yet, Seven.
I realize you posted this probably at the same time as my response, I just want to make sure you've got my answer now.
Not exactly, it was your unwillingness to commit to a vote. Just to clear that up.
Understood.
@Chamber: You seem to be lurking pretty hard. I know I disappeared too, but your posts are devoid of any analysis. Please post more, right now I have no read on you whatsoever other than suspicion for lurking.
I've been waiting for more from you as well, chamber. ISO later, anyway... I'm sure I'll have questions.

Thor:

I have a few more reads on potential scum now then I did then
I look forward to hearing about these at some point.

IK:

I get terribly annoyed when people try and use their own concepts of how the game should be played and build a "case" against someone else whose only fault is that their playstyle is different.
I think it's debatable whether something is done because it's one's playstyle vs a tell. You could be playing that way because you always play that way, or you could be playing that way because you're scum. It's a bit of a toss-up. And if your playstyle is always scummy that can be a problem.

SP:

Also DRK, saying that you write me off as town because you think I am newbish is invalid for two reasons. One, I am an alt of iaretheman, and am therefore not a newb, and have played mafia more than just here, as well. Two, writing something that could very well be a scum tell as a newb tell simply isn't good, and a newb scum shouldn't be able to just flail like crazy and be written off as town for being a newbie.
Dammit I'm going to hate myself every time I agree with SP now, but he makes sense about 50% of the time, what can I say... How can you write off SP as newb? What happened to a tell being a tell, newb or no? *more DRK frustration, must save for later*

HS:

For one, it's really easy to claim inexperience as an excuse for scummy play.
I do not believe my play to be scummy, overall. It doesn't help that I've been stuck playing defense this whole time.
Secondly, you can't expect people to treat you differently because you are inexperienced.
Agreed.

Cue:

Yes and Chamber, your RVS vote, is voting with me too.
That's irrelevant. I'm talking about you and DRK. I realize there are several people voting for me at this point.
I mean you defended SP when I asked him a direct question intended for him only.
The answer to said question seemed blatantly obvious. As previously stated by someone else, I did not give my opinion. I quoted directly, and I really can't see how SPs answer would have been any different than mine. Granted, this was still a mistake on my part... and I'm paying for that now.
You answered for him, even after I accused you of attempting to deflect attention away from him in the RVS.
You mean the comment about why DRK was voting for him instead of Cue? I stand by that statement, even though it was meant as more of a joke at the time. Now I see it as something else. I'll go into it more later, but I do think it's strange that he would go for SP and not you, and then maintain his grudge against SP beyond the RVS stage (and all of sudden claiming SP is probably noob-town...)
SP claimed that you weren't acting very scummy at all when there wasn't that much content to make such a bold judgment. At that point in the game, we were barely out of RVS and the jist of what you posted was your opinion about RVS.
You're right, there wasn't much content. There were still people saying I was scum, why is it any different for someone to state they get a town vibe? From what you're saying it's ok to state someone is likely scum straight out of RVS, but not to state someone feels town? Doesn't make much sense to me.
You also made an outrageous claim that SP was town and that you answered my question for SP because you don't want to see a town get lynched. How the **** do you know that SP is town at this point in the game?
I did not say "SP is town". I said I would defend anyone I thought was town. I don't really consider my answering your question "defending" him, as I said before it was a stupid question. I don't know if he's down. He's done some townish things, I can say that much at this point.
In mafia, only scum know who everyone is aligned with, so you and SP suggesting that each other is town is very scummy to me.
Again, where did SP say "Seven is town"?
SP exaggerated DRK's position by claiming that he had been pushing suspicion on anyone. In actuality, DRK had only pushed suspicion on SP himself.
You're right. In DRK post 1 he
avoided
putting suspicion on you. In post 4 he
avoided
putting suspicion on HS. More on this later.

I claim town. At least if you lynch me you're not losing out on a power role. *shrug*

It took me longer to write all this than expected so I don't know if I'll have time to do a post on everyone tonight, It's almost 6AM now but I'll try and get through at least one or two people.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”