Newbie 864 - Game Over.

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Col.Cathart
Col.Cathart
Mafia Scum
Col.Cathart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #775 (ISO) » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:14 pm

Post by Col.Cathart »

Zachrulez wrote:
Lacey wrote:
Zachrulez wrote:Ya, you can do that, and that's what I try to do when I'm scum.

But having the knowledge from the pm is the part that makes it hard for me... and knowing I'm scum kills my whole motivation for pretending. ;)
I think you just have to roleplay. Step back and view the game as a story. Create a new role for yourself and sort out how you would feel as that player, including about your real role.

How do you feel playing scum kills your motivation for pretending?
Just that I enjoy being town and I enjoy the hunt. When I'm scum, I'm not really doing any of that, I'm just pretending to do it. Mainly that I tend to only view mafia in general from a town perspective. (And have for a long time ever since my town game has grown past my mafia game.) When I am scum it's just like... well blegh for me. I'm not sure what I can do about it. :?
Actually, I prefer being scum rather than town, but In my last 3 games I was either scum or Serial Killer, and since those games were taking place simultaneously, that was really exhausting job, and I'll now give a warm welcome to any townie role, even vanilla :) Being scum is still awesome though. Much more plans, much more tactics, much more emotions, and much bigger satisfaction, if you'll manage to fool the town :)
[b]Mini 934[/b] is [b]over![/b] Thanks to everyone participating.

[i]What the hell? That Colonel guy was awesome.[/i] - Fate
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #776 (ISO) » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:15 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

Col.Cathart wrote:
Zachrulez wrote:
Lacey wrote:
Zachrulez wrote:Ya, you can do that, and that's what I try to do when I'm scum.

But having the knowledge from the pm is the part that makes it hard for me... and knowing I'm scum kills my whole motivation for pretending. ;)
I think you just have to roleplay. Step back and view the game as a story. Create a new role for yourself and sort out how you would feel as that player, including about your real role.

How do you feel playing scum kills your motivation for pretending?
Just that I enjoy being town and I enjoy the hunt. When I'm scum, I'm not really doing any of that, I'm just pretending to do it. Mainly that I tend to only view mafia in general from a town perspective. (And have for a long time ever since my town game has grown past my mafia game.) When I am scum it's just like... well blegh for me. I'm not sure what I can do about it. :?
Actually, I prefer being scum rather than town, but In my last 3 games I was either scum or Serial Killer, and since those games were taking place simultaneously, that was really exhausting job, and I'll now give a warm welcome to any townie role, even vanilla :) Being scum is still awesome though. Much more plans, much more tactics, much more emotions, and much bigger satisfaction, if you'll manage to fool the town :)
Yeah, there are people on that side of the spectrum too.

All different kinds of people with different tastes and preferences in the game.
Col.Cathart
Col.Cathart
Mafia Scum
Col.Cathart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #777 (ISO) » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:17 pm

Post by Col.Cathart »

Also, looks like I'm better as scum. I have 3-1 record so far, and that one loss was really a close call. As a town, I have only 2 wins, and one of them wasn't even my work. :P
[b]Mini 934[/b] is [b]over![/b] Thanks to everyone participating.

[i]What the hell? That Colonel guy was awesome.[/i] - Fate
Lacey
Lacey
Goon
Lacey
Goon
Goon

Post Post #778 (ISO) » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:20 pm

Post by Lacey »

Well scum have the advantage in these games. Which makes it tougher as town.

But it's well past Pumpkin time for this Lacey, and I must get up early in the morning.

Good night boys!
-Lacey
On an indefinite break from mafia.
Evilgorrilaz
Evilgorrilaz
Goon
Evilgorrilaz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #779 (ISO) » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:52 pm

Post by Evilgorrilaz »

GG scum
When a flat-chested girl hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart <3
imkingdavid
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #780 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:28 pm

Post by imkingdavid »

Nice job Col and Lacey. Sorry to say I didn't really follow this much after I died on day one. Congrats on the win, good game. Hopefully I'll get a chance to play w/ you guys some time in the future.
Bach
Bach
Townie
Bach
Townie
Townie

Post Post #781 (ISO) » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:44 am

Post by Bach »

Apologies for flaking out guys. I had a wicked rough time over the holiday with work, and didn't have the time - and frankly, the inclination...not sure I have the stomach for these really long games - to get on.

Great play ColC. I had you pegged as scum for buddying up to me...but the scum pairings likely would have led me into mislynching the next day (though Lacey offing EG was weird...not sure what I would have done). Parts played his part well too.

I believe due to my flaking, I have to do another N00b game before I can strike out into theme games. Is there any games on this site that move a bit...quicker? Not sure I want to subject myself to another n00bie game if day phases that go on for 19937465 days are the norm in all games. :lol:
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #782 (ISO) » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:27 am

Post by Zachrulez »

There aren't any that run on shorter deadlines, but depending on how quality of the player list and the IC/SE combination, games can vary greatly in length.

If you find the right open game those can run pretty fast too...
imkingdavid
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #783 (ISO) » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:17 am

Post by imkingdavid »

Like zach said, it depends on how active the rest of the players are. If you get flaky people that post every other day, it might drag on a lot longer than a game where mostly everyone can get on multiple times a day.
I was lucky that my first game on the site was very active and went by fairly quickly in comparison to some others. :) I guess it all just depends, though.
Naughty little fly, why does it cry? Caught in a web, Soon you'll be...
eaten!
Evilgorrilaz
Evilgorrilaz
Goon
Evilgorrilaz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #784 (ISO) » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:50 am

Post by Evilgorrilaz »

BTW, why was I the NK? o_O
When a flat-chested girl hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart <3
Lacey
Lacey
Goon
Lacey
Goon
Goon

Post Post #785 (ISO) » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:52 pm

Post by Lacey »

Evilgorrilaz wrote:BTW, why was I the NK? o_O
Hello Evilgorrilaz,

In answer to your question, I reasoned as follows:

1) I needed to frame either you or Slaxx as Col.Cathart's scumbuddy. Zachrulez was too obviously town.

2) I couldn't really frame you effectively, as Zachrulez wouldn't vote for you (he was convinced you were town). Slaxx was a wild card. Counting on him to vote for you is simply too risky.

3) Zachrulez had suspicions of Slaxx, so Slaxx becomes my target.

4) Since Parts had heavily fingered you for scum, I worried you'd hold it against his replacement.

In the end, this meant I couldn't kill Slaxx, or Zachrulez, so you were my only target, though for a while I considered a no kill.

-Lacey
On an indefinite break from mafia.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #786 (ISO) » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:31 pm

Post by Zorblag »

OK, that was a bit of a wait for me to get to this game. I apologize for the delay.

First off, thank you all for playing. This game was a bit on the long side which was in part due to the holidays and in part due to the fact that the first day went right to deadline. I actually wasn't as present as I'd like to be for the middle of the game; I had things come up in RL and wasn't about MS much at all for a stretch. Happily it didn't seem to be a huge issue here but I was less attentive than I should have been.

Regarding play in the game, as someone said it really is helpful to get a full lynch at deadlines. I think town probably hurt itself day one by not being able to get more of a consensus going. The deadline lynch gave less information than a full lynch would have. I know that it's tough to trust people in the game enough to work together but successful town have to try to get over that.

Normally I don't think it's a good idea to give yourself up like Col.Cathart did as scum but in this case it really would have been less convenient to address the issues at hand than it was to let himself get lynched. He and Parts did have a decent read of the game together and so I know he was doing it because he trusted his partner to pull out the win. I probably would have tried to get in there and self hammer rather than let the day go as long as it did but that wasn't vital.

Lacey's asking about a quick topic was a nice touch that went well with really pretty sophisticated scum play for someone just jumping into the game. I think felt bad about replacing Parts as he really had done a good job of being active but I figure that he probably can't complain too much about his replacement.

As Zachrulez said, there's no requirement to play in newbie games before joining a mini or open game or even a large game. Some mods might require experience but most don't. Most newbie games should move a bit faster than this one but one way to get in a shorter stint is to replace in on day two or later; I like not having to try to justify some ridiculous read based on nothing at the start of day one in a game but perhaps that's just me.

On the whole scum played this game well but town put up a fair fight. This was the hardest potential setup for a newbie game and I felt that everyone acquitted themselves well. More activity would have been the biggest thing that I think might have helped the town as some of the reads were based on fairly scarce information.

If anyone has any particular questions I can probably figure out answers, otherwise best of luck in your games from here on out!

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #787 (ISO) » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:39 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

Zorblag wrote:
Regarding play in the game, as someone said it really is helpful to get a full lynch at deadlines. I think town probably hurt itself day one by not being able to get more of a consensus going. The deadline lynch gave less information than a full lynch would have. I know that it's tough to trust people in the game enough to work together but successful town have to try to get over that.
As much as it hurt on day 1, I think town got a bit tunneled on the lynch candidates on day 2 and didn't really consider the other options as much as they should have. (As noted before this was one of the things that bothered me about Bach)
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #788 (ISO) » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:41 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Last post.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”