Newbie 873 - Game Over.

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Newbie 873 - Game Over.

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:24 am

Post by Zorblag »

Don't you hate it when life gets really busy in a bunch of ways at once? Like you've got a huge deadline coming up at work, Trolls start stealing the housepets in your neighborhood for food and you've got to be part of the patrol that hunts them down, you find out that not only is your long lost brother still alive but he's coming to stay with you for the next week and the mafia just won't stop bugging you to repay the money that you borrowed to build the Olympic sized swimming pool in your backyard?

Yeah, I hate that too. I tell you what, let's deal with the mafia part of that by having you lynch them. You're on your own with your brother.

Mod: Zorblag

Living Players

Crimmy, doctor, survived
Kyiv (replaces cades), townie, survived

indicates IC player.
The ICs are here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article Being a good IC.

^
indicates semi-experienced player.

Dead Players

McGriddle, townie, Lynched Day One

brother, townie, Killed Night One

CSL^, townie, Lynched Day Two

MichelSableheart*, townie, Killed Night Two

foilist13^, mafia goon, Lynched Day Three

dimaba, cop, Killed Night Three

Jackabomb, mafia roleblocker, Lynched Day Four

Helpful Links

Rules and Setup (with Roles.)

Day One ends, Day Two ends, Day Three ends, Day Four ends.

Main Wiki Page
Newbie Guide
Frequently Asked Questions
Commonly Used Abbreviations

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Last edited by Zorblag on Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:24 am, edited 16 times in total.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:47 am

Post by Zorblag »

Game Rules (modified from Vel-Rahn Koon’s rules):

General Gameplay and Etiquette:
  1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
  2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it. Mafia members may communicate at night and during the confirmation stage or the first 24 hours after roles are sent out (whichever is longer.)
  3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.
  4. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
  5. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
  6. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.
Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:
  1. A simple majority of all living members must agree on one person for a lynch to occur
  2. Once you have reached a simple majority no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.
  3. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post during twilight.
  4. Please submit votes as:
    Vote: PlayerName
    Votes will NOT be counted if they are not bold! Obvious abbreviations or nicknames will be counted so long as they are unambiguous.

5. Please submit vote revocations as either
    Unvote: PlayerName
    or
    Unvote
    . Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
  6. You may
    Vote: No Lynch
    - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a lynch.
  7. This game will have 3 week deadlines. At deadline, the player (or No Lynch) with the most votes will be lynched. In the case of a tie, the tie breaker will be the player who has the first active vote on them. Should there be no active votes at deadline no one will be lynched.
  8. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post during twilight.
  9. Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post. This means that you do not even get a “Bah” post. The dead in this game are silent.
Miscellaneous/Mechanics:
  1. Green
    text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small text is allowed.
  2. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
  3. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
  4. Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.

5. Prods of missing players will be issued automatically after 72 hours of no activity or upon request after 48 hours of no activity. A prodded player has 48 hours to respond or risks replacement. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to replacement without further notice.
  6. Rules violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill.
  7. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread.
    Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:49 am

Post by Zorblag »

The F11 setup is the current game format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open. The actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the Goon is lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

The Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner, <name>, a <Mafia Goon or Mafia Roleblocker>. Your current task is to eliminate the town before they lynch you by killing them at night and getting them lynched during the day.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
The Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner, <name>, a Mafia Goon. Your current task is to eliminate the town before they lynch you by killing them at night and getting them lynched during the day.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • As a Roleblocker, you have the ability to distract any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
  • Send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block. If they have a Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether your roleblock worked or not.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
Town-Aligned players:

The Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.
  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
The Mod wrote:

You are the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues) provided you are not roleblocked (if you are roleblocked you will get no result.)
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
The Mod wrote:

You are the local physician, and can protect people from harm.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks) provided you are not roleblocked (if you are roleblocked your protection will not work.)
-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:17 am

Post by Zorblag »

Roles have now been sent out to all the players. We are in the confirmation phase. Please confirm in the thread when you have read and understood both your role and the rules for the game. If you have any questions about your role or the rules please PM Zorblag. Day one will start once everyone has confirmed.

Mafia members have until 4:00 PM EST/1:00 PM PST on Sunday, November 29th or until the confirmation stage is done (whichever happens later) to communicate to each other at the start of the game. After that they may not communicate privately until Night One.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
brother
brother
Townie
brother
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:04 pm

Post by brother »

/confirm
Jackabomb
Jackabomb
Goon
Jackabomb
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:26 pm

Post by Jackabomb »

/confirm
/apologize for actions in newbie 726.
Curious. My third mod playing under is zorblag.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

If this has even so much as piqued your interest or you'd like to talk, please send me a PM. Even if it's to disagree, insult me, or just to say you're sick of reading the verse, I'm glad to listen.
Crimmy
Crimmy
Goon
Crimmy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:30 pm

Post by Crimmy »

/Confirm

I suddenly feel the need to see things in a sepia spectrum.
Like an old movie.
~ With the clicking came the Ticking
Of the site that was no more.
Quoth the server: 404. ~
cades
cades
Townie
cades
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:08 pm

Post by cades »

/confirm, finally a game.
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:23 pm

Post by MichelSableheart »

I have read the rules.
I have read my role pm.
I understand them both and don't have any questions.
I am ready to play.

In other words:
/confirm
There is no 'a' in Michel.
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:59 am

Post by CSL »

I am all set to begin.
Show
"I can't kill my own best friend, especially when I can't do shit at all!" - Tragedy

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

V/LA from Mafia on weekends. Sorry!
dimaba
dimaba
Townie
dimaba
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:14 am

Post by dimaba »

/confirm

Looking forward to my first game...
McGriddle
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:20 am

Post by McGriddle »

/confirm

Hello. Me too. I am also looking forward to my first game.
Wins/Losses - 99/15

foilist13
foilist13
Mafia Scum
foilist13
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:35 pm

Post by foilist13 »

/confirm

I'm your very own SE, so feel free to ask me whatever. (SE stands for semi-experienced, though I think at this point I qualify as an IC (inexperience challenged))
"If you are going to tell people the truth, you had better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you."
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:03 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Everyone has now confirmed. Day one begins.

Vote Count 1.0

The numbers by the voters indicate the order in which the vote was cast. If two or more players are tied for the most votes to lynch at the deadline the tiebreaker will be the player who has the earliest active vote.

Not Voting: brother, cades, Crimmy, CSL, dimaba, foilist13, Jackabomb, McGriddle, MichelSableheart

With 9 alive it takes 5 to lynch. Currently no one would be lynched at deadline. Deadline is 11:00 PM EST/8:00 PM PST on Sunday, December 20th.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
foilist13
foilist13
Mafia Scum
foilist13
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:14 pm

Post by foilist13 »

Right,
vote:MichelSableheart
for being the only person here I know.
"If you are going to tell people the truth, you had better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you."
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:08 pm

Post by MichelSableheart »

Welcome everybody, hope we have a fun game.

Now that the game is on, it's time to find the scum. At the moment, not much information is available, so our second priority should be to get more information on the table.

There are several ways to do this. The most common one is voting on non-existant to weak tells, in order to be able to judge the reaction of the player you're voting. Although this part of the game is sometimes known as the random voting stage (RVS), it should be noted that actually voting randomly isn't a great idea. If your vote is truly random, it is easily ignored, doesn't help you much in getting information, and doesn't give the other players information about you.

It's better to use your vote where you think it has the most effect. You may vote someone because you believe they are likely to respond, you may bandwagon in order to get a reaction. Personally, I try to vote the person that is most likely scum, because they did something that scum is slightly more likely to do then town.

foilist was the last to confirm, and the only player who confirmed more then 24 hours after role pm's were sent. It is my believe that he wanted more time to talk with his partner then the minimum 24 hours.

And why the attempt to explicitly profile himself as an experienced player in his confirmation post? The first post already tells that he's an SE. That seems to be done mainly to build town cred.

Vote: foilist13
There is no 'a' in Michel.
dimaba
dimaba
Townie
dimaba
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:21 am

Post by dimaba »

Hello hello, thanks for the welcome. I'm sure we'll have a good game.

What you (Michel) say seems to make sense. Of course a late response could have been caused by a busy weekend or temporary absence, but I checked foilists13's lasts posts and on both Saturday and Sunday he made several posts in other games/topics that must've taken him quite a bit more time than a simple confirmation. Therefore, I agree that his late confirmation is suspicious.

Also, if you are correct in that actually voting randomly is a bad idea (which considering your role as IC I assume you are), his random vote is not beneficial to the town. I consider "because he's the only one I know" to be random. Of course he could have voted just to get the game going, I don't know wether that is common practice or not.

Until foilist explains his late confirmation and random vote, I will also...

dimaba
dimaba
Townie
dimaba
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:31 am

Post by dimaba »

EBWOP: One thing I forgot to say... I don't quite agree with your point about his profiling as an experienced player. This is a newbie game after all, so it really isn't that inconcievable that he just likes to help new people, maybe show off his knowledge or any other innocent reason. And if he had really wanted to establish himself as helpful and knowledgeable he would probably have given us similar tips on voting tactics to what you posted, when he presented his vote. In other words, I don't believe his confirmation post was a strong enough tell to make it count in my vote decision.
Jackabomb
Jackabomb
Goon
Jackabomb
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:34 am

Post by Jackabomb »

Dimaba, a random vote doesn't really warrant an explanation.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

If this has even so much as piqued your interest or you'd like to talk, please send me a PM. Even if it's to disagree, insult me, or just to say you're sick of reading the verse, I'm glad to listen.
dimaba
dimaba
Townie
dimaba
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:56 am

Post by dimaba »

Well, of course I understand that if he voted at random it would be illogical to expect him to explain in more detail than he has done why he chose Michel as a victim. But an explanation is warranted as in that it'd be nice to know why he voted randomly at all. If it's been established that voting at random is not beneficial to us townsfolk then I'd like to know why he chose to vote at random. Unless that's exactly what you're talking about, in which case I'd like to know why an explanation is unwarranted.
McGriddle
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:38 am

Post by McGriddle »

For being suspicious.
McGriddle
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:39 am

Post by McGriddle »

Whoops. Didn't mean to make all of it bold.
Wins/Losses - 99/15

Crimmy
Crimmy
Goon
Crimmy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:26 am

Post by Crimmy »

Vote: Foilist13

Random voting.
~ With the clicking came the Ticking
Of the site that was no more.
Quoth the server: 404. ~
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:24 am

Post by CSL »

Vote: Crimmy
for putting foilest at L-1.

(L-1 is when a player only needs one more vote to lynch. In this case, Foilest has 4. The number to lynch is 5, which is L-1. Another exampe of an L-x term is L-2, two more votes to lynch, L-3. 3 more votes to lynch)

Someone unvote him before he gets hammered (Hammer vote: vote that lynches someone). If he's scum, great, but there are 7 of us, and 2 of them. Let's not get hasty with the lynching. In the meantime, this RVS was ended rather too quick.
FoS: everyone else on foilest wagon
(FoS is Finger of Suspicion. In other words, it's what a player does when a player is suspicious, but not enough to cast a vote)

Oh, and I forgot to say this, but I am an SE.
Show
"I can't kill my own best friend, especially when I can't do shit at all!" - Tragedy

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

V/LA from Mafia on weekends. Sorry!
dimaba
dimaba
Townie
dimaba
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:51 am

Post by dimaba »

I'll trust your judgement on that. I did get a feeling that we were rushing things, getting to a lynch with just 2 RL days of play.

unvote: foilist13

While he is still by far the most suspicious player for me, I don't see how it would do us any harm to wait a little longer. I assume by waiting longer with the lynch you're hoping to gain more information from people's reasoning?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”