Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #851 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:42 pm

Post by Elmo »

Vi wrote:DAY 4 ACTIONS:
Zakeri - Daykills Pesco47 (fails due to NK-immunity)
Wat? It doesn't matter at all, but that's weird. :P

Hm, gg. I was pretty confident town would vig+lynch tubby+zwets but I didn't realistically expect to win at that point.. I'm not really sure how I coulda played any better through the game, perhaps I should have just outright bussed Mufasa, but I was worried about the numbers coupled with lack of nightkill. I don't think it makes much of a difference, though.. I preferred him being nightkilled than lynched. Eh.

I'm biased, but I thought Sotty was fairly obv town. I'm pretty curious why you'd vig me before zwets / tubby, Plum..?
Vi wrote:The obvious blunder in this setup, if you haven't seen it already, came with the Phantasmal group's "puppets". random.org did a good job of picking a mix of players, but neither my reviewers nor me realized they could be NKd... and they weren't exactly prime NK material when they were killed.
I kind of like the inverse lyncher mechanic. It's not a bad setup, we got more than a little unlucky here. I think the problem is that the penalty for having puppets die is too harsh, so you have to have either too many and narrow the mislynches, or too few and probably die horrible. It's very harsh to lose a member, I would've gone for something like "if you lose 3 out of 4, then you pick a mafia member to suicide if more than one is alive" or something. An idea I like quite is to have a townie pair as a mafia power enabler. That is, mafia have a group roleblocking as long as one of those two townies are alive. Something like that.

Essentially, the primary reason that Mufasa got caught was the very unnatural reaction he had over mipe. This could have been done (a lot) better, but it's still essentially justified in my opinion. (I honestly thought mipe was town and a bad lynch, but then I'm like that.) It's almost identical to having a scumbuddy under pressure, but it'll happen a lot more often. You basically have to act somewhat unnatural or risk them dying. I don't know if you accounted for it, but it basically exponentially increased the number of associative tells we'd have to drop to survive long-term. Due to 50% it being actually scummy, 50% not-updating-beliefs-bias, the fact that mipe flipped town didn't take any of the heat off Mufasa/Pesco for defending him.

I think another issue is Phantasmals not having a nightkill without pretty much anything to make up for it, really; it's irritating but not actually physically
painful
until you add in the lack of a nightkill. I would find myself saying "damn, I wish we had a nightkill" pretty much every five minutes. I mean, we start out at 3:3:11. If we lynch the other mafia 1-2-3 and they kill only townies, then we're left with 3:8 nightless. That's
still
horrendous, even before town power roles. Influencing the town by giving out kills is dubious at best; they can just pseudo-vote in the worst case.

I'm pretty much drawing a blank on how we were supposed to have an equal chance of winning as the other group, who had a godfather, didn't have puppets, and had a nightkill. The only thing they can't do is believably claim inventor which counts for very little, really - scum inventor is very possible, and we'll just be nightkilled if we're sufficiently believed anyway.
Vi wrote:To that end, Xyl's ruthless policy lynching won the game.
This I'm confused by. The first two policy lynches hit town, Hulk was pretty obviously scum and wasn't a policy lynch, dramonic got caught by role info, and tubby seemed to be process of elimination; there wasn't a single lurker lynch. I'm kind of missing how policy lynches helped the town at all.

In other news, I've been playing the demo of, uh, "Embodiment of Scarlet Devil" lots. Game reminds me of Ikaruga. Thanks, V
i
, I think I'll soon have a new addiction :P
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
tubby216
tubby216
Mafia Scum
tubby216
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #852 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:26 am

Post by tubby216 »

i apologize to my team. I tried, My play was off this game. I would have done better had i started off the game in this slot. Replacing in was hard and i diddn't understand the flavor. However Vi, another well ran game and really enjoyable. I really liked the player list in this game you guys were fun to play with.

Vi if you need another replacement or have another one coming up soon drop me a line i'll /in.
"I swear tubby is scum in every game I've read, even some of the ones he wasn't in. "~Vi
"Whether you love him or hate him, Tubby is an excellent scumhunter."~BM
[b]need 0 replacements for open189 pm me[/b]
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #853 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:15 am

Post by dramonic »

Elmo wrote:In other news, I've been playing the demo of, uh, "Embodiment of Scarlet Devil" lots. Game reminds me of Ikaruga. Thanks, V
i
, I think I'll soon have a new addiction :P
I can link you to the real thing if you wish.
Now if I could clear it on hard it'd be nice...
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #854 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:33 am

Post by Vi »

tubby216 wrote:i apologize to my team. I tried, My play was off this game. I would have done better had i started off the game in this slot. Replacing in was hard and i diddn't understand the flavor. However Vi, another well ran game and really enjoyable. I really liked the player list in this game you guys were fun to play with.

Vi if you need another replacement or have another one coming up soon drop me a line i'll /in.
To be fair,
nobody
understood the flavor except the people who dropped in from other forums.

Thanks, tubby. Thanks, everyone. This game turned out to be fewer than 1000 posts long without any loss of gameplay, and there was only one replacement.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #855 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:12 am

Post by dramonic »

Vi wrote: Vi if you need another replacement or have another one coming up soon drop me a line i'll /in.
To be fair,
nobody
understood the flavor except the people who dropped in from other forums.
[/quote]

and the people who pre-inned XP
I'm a hoot
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #856 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:51 am

Post by Sotty7 »

This game was interesting. I think I got a little lazy at the end there and wanted to claim my information. Can't really fault Plum for her vig with that in mind, still it would have been nice to claim ;)

I was going to claim my hiding behind KMD on day three but then I saw that Spyrex flipped RB and he was pretty suspicious of me so I thought he might have RB'ed me. Guessed wrong there.

Another fun Vi game. This is turning out to be a trend. Yay town.
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #857 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:50 am

Post by Xylthixlm »

Sotty7 wrote:Can't really fault Plum for her vig
Yes I can. :twisted:
#mafia@irc.globalgamers.net

"Xyl was completely berserk" -dramonic
"Xyl's ruthless policy lynching won the game." -Vi
forbiddanlight
forbiddanlight
Blowfish
forbiddanlight
Blowfish
Blowfish

Post Post #858 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:36 am

Post by forbiddanlight »

Vi wrote:Some comments on actions that I forgot to put in the previous post.

f-light's invention theft worked both times she used it... but then they didn't do anything :\
She stole the ability to null someone's vote from zwetschenwasser, and then
used it on zwetschenwasser
... but zwet wasn't able to pull off one of his dramatic hammers that day :/

Also, Mufasa played his role terribly. If nobody's going to say that, I will.

I think the Town got more use out of the Inventions than their actual abilities...
That's nice. And what was wrong will targetting Zwet with his own ability?

And I roleblocked the Roleblocker. Good going me

Wellp, I did nothing this game and died fast.

Why was I killed again?
"Never have I seen anybody glorify their own lynch."
-StrangerCoug

TTGL Mafia is over. Going to mod [b]Umineko No [color=red]Na[/color]ku Koro Ni[/b] Mafia. Pre-/ins, as always, are accepted.
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #859 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:50 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

dramonic wrote:damn you Kmd!

wait... you're not even a tracker/watcher 0_o

...I want an explanation...
Someone gave me a 1-shot watch.

My inventions mostly would have hurt town, so I only used one. It was that same night, the reason I was seen (by myself) targeting Spy. If he survived, he'd have learned something about the game. That's why I watched him. Either we'd have new info or I'd catch scum killing him.
dramonic wrote:scum killed you by accident

something redirected us.
Zakeri busdrove me and RBT.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #860 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:50 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

Wait

My last game is....

OVER.

Wow. I can hardly believe it.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #861 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:36 am

Post by dramonic »

forbiddanlight wrote: That's nice. And what was wrong will targetting Zwet with his own ability?

Why was I killed again?
Because Kmd had been saved day 1 and we didnt want to target him again, Xyl was completely berserk and you were the player we considered a threat the most (By we I mean me, since my acolytes kinda followed me XS)

I should have known you're terrible at scumhunting :P
I'm a hoot
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #862 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:39 am

Post by Xylthixlm »

dramonic wrote:Xyl was completely berserk
Sig'd.

forbiddanlight
forbiddanlight
Blowfish
forbiddanlight
Blowfish
Blowfish

Post Post #863 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:59 am

Post by forbiddanlight »

dramonic wrote:
forbiddanlight wrote: That's nice. And what was wrong will targetting Zwet with his own ability?

Why was I killed again?
Because Kmd had been saved day 1 and we didnt want to target him again, Xyl was completely berserk and you were the player we considered a threat the most (By we I mean me, since my acolytes kinda followed me XS)

I should have known you're terrible at scumhunting :P

Yeah, srsly. I just liked using my power. But, at any rate that was odd dying so quickly.
-StrangerCoug

TTGL Mafia is over. Going to mod [b]Umineko No [color=red]Na[/color]ku Koro Ni[/b] Mafia. Pre-/ins, as always, are accepted.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #864 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:48 am

Post by Vi »

forbiddanlight wrote:

f-light's invention theft worked both times she used it... but then they didn't do anything :\

I think the Town got more use out of the Inventions than their actual abilities...
Nothing except that it would have been even more dramatic if I had told you what you had done :P
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #865 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:49 am

Post by Incognito »

Just wanted to thank Vi for not flaking on this game -- those role actions and resolutions looked somewhat tricky to handle.
[ooc][color=black]patrickgower2006 (8:12:03 PM): all beer tastes same to me
patrickgower2006 (8:12:07 PM): like dish water
If you see Patrick drinking dish water, please try and stop him. Friends don't let friends drink dish water.[/color][/ooc]
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #866 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:55 am

Post by Vi »

Incognito wrote:Just wanted to thank Vi for not flaking on this game -- those role actions and resolutions looked somewhat tricky to handle.
Thank you. I'm sorry I kind of dumped reviewer duties onto you.
(Future reference: If I ask you to review a setup, you WILL get more than you expected... and more than I expected in all likelihood. Refuse accordingly.)
forbiddanlight
forbiddanlight
Blowfish
forbiddanlight
Blowfish
Blowfish

Post Post #867 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:58 am

Post by forbiddanlight »

Vi wrote:
forbiddanlight wrote:

Nothing except that it would have been even more dramatic if I had told you what you had done :P
Eh. I'd still have done it.

The fact that Orin was not appearing in this game actually is a relief, since it means I didn't miss the chance to be her.

And Marisa is like my second fave anyway.
-StrangerCoug

Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #868 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:15 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

Vi wrote:
Incognito wrote:Just wanted to thank Vi for not flaking on this game -- those role actions and resolutions looked somewhat tricky to handle.
(Future reference: If I ask you to review a setup, you WILL get more than you expected... and more than I expected in all likelihood. Refuse accordingly.)
If only you'd learned that lesson
before
I asked you to review my setup. :twisted:

Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #869 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:31 pm

Post by Vi »

Xylthixlm 869 wrote:
Vi wrote:
If only you'd learned that lesson
before
I asked you to review my setup. :twisted:
Truth.
Who do you think you are,
me?
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #870 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:34 pm

Post by dramonic »

Shameimaru was a fakeclaim, so likewise I dont suffer the "not having that role". Although Koishi is badass :D
I'm a hoot
Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #871 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:52 pm

Post by Plum »

Elmo wrote:I'm biased, but I thought Sotty was fairly obv town. I'm pretty curious why you'd vig me before zwets / tubby, Plum..?
I vigged Sotty because of interactions I thought I saw between her and Hulk/Dram. If I were scum I probably would have made a case and everything before striking - I tell the truth when I say I'm generally more cautious as scum and have generally moved in the direction of less caution as Town - but for now all I can say is I thought I saw interactions and I was probably overthinking it way too much (I'd have probably gone for the only gut-scum pick if I was really smart, and that, at the time, was . . . you, Elmo. Part of why I didn't was Kmd's vote analysis, which probably also influenced me in the way of killing Sotty).
Xylthixlm wrote:
Sotty7 wrote:Can't really fault Plum for her vig
Yes I can. :twisted:
The play might have been poor, but I offed the last Phantasmal - and seriously, no one was looking at it like that before, at least not openly (and I
did
actually notice that before striking and I think I took it into account as well. Though once Tubby got offed and such we'd probably have gone in that direction). Elmo wasn't really being looked at much, so at least the poor play had a decent benefit.

In other news, once I decide someone's such obvious scum that I'll have to throttle you through the internet if you're not, that player
is
scum. Granted it only happens when the player is scummy
and
tries to suspect me, and granted it's only happened twice, so small sample size. But it feels okay.
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #872 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:55 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

Plum wrote:In other news, once I decide someone's such obvious scum that I'll have to throttle you through the internet if you're not, that player
is
scum.
Yes. This, exactly. Note that such a player coming up town
does not change the fact that they were scum

If you maintain this attitude you, too, can become a berserk policy lyncher.

Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #873 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:58 pm

Post by Vi »

Xylthixlm wrote:
Plum wrote:In other news, once I decide someone's such obvious scum that I'll have to throttle you through the internet if you're not, that player
is
scum.
Yes. This, exactly. Note that such a player coming up town
does not change the fact that they were scum

If you maintain this attitude you, too, can become a berserk policy lyncher.
Vi's wiki page wrote:As a general rule, if you get lynched and I was on your wagon, you deserved it.
"Scum" means "people who don't deserve to live" as much as "Mafia", right? :D
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #874 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:01 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

Vi's wiki page wrote:As a general rule, if you get lynched and I was on your wagon, you deserved it.
As a general rule, if you get lynched, I was on your wagon.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”