Mini 878: Nouns Mafia - Da game is ovah!

Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:34 am

Post by Netopalis »

Stranger: Honestly, I think that the whole "vote for pressure" thing, along with the "vote for reaction" thing is rather weak. It only works on new players who don't know what's going on...Anyone who's been through at least a few games, though, should see right through it. I think it's better to put all motives on the table and give the town more information.

Also, I have to say, I find this opennes to be quite refreshing, especially considering another game that I'm currently in.

Vote Count Three

Boxman:
3 (SensFan, Seol, StrangerCoug)
Sens Fan:
3 (Konowa, elvis_knits, Netopalis)
Parhelic
: 2 (MacavityLock, Iecerint)
elvis_knits:
1 (mathcam)
Seol:
1 (Percy)
Netopalis:
1 (Boxman)

Not Voting:
(Parhelic)

Deadline:
Friday November 27th, 12:00 PM EST
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:50 am

Post by elvis_knits »

The boxman wagon does not look random to me. It looks to be based on a weak scumtell. I don't know how others see boxman's post 31, but to me it's boxman posting without content, posting without trying to advance the game or scum hunt, and possibly the worst sin of all -- making my sensfan bandwagon look silly!

The only problem I have with sensfan voting boxman is that it makes the rival bandwagon as big as his own, which switched momentum to someone else.
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:50 am

Post by Seol »

Netopalis wrote:Stranger: Honestly, I think that the whole "vote for pressure" thing, along with the "vote for reaction" thing is rather weak. It only works on new players who don't know what's going on...Anyone who's been through at least a few games, though, should see right through it.
What would you suggest, then?
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:54 am

Post by Netopalis »

Generally, I find that posing questions and discussions like this about theme and method are more effective...
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Temporarily retiring following the end of my current obligations.
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:56 am

Post by Seol »

Netopalis wrote:Generally, I find that posing questions and discussions like this about theme and method are more effective...
About the theme? You mean the theme of the game? On day 1, to get things started?

Seriously?
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:58 am

Post by SensFan »

elvis_knits wrote:The only problem I have with sensfan voting boxman is that it makes the rival bandwagon as big as his own, which switched momentum to someone else.
First of all, I didn't know the count that well. I know I can't prove it, but the point is moot anyways, for the following reason: what else would you expect me to do? Not vote someone early in the game because I have more votes than them?
(11:04:10 PM) senspizzaline: That's actually my bold prediction for the year
(11:04:19 PM) senspizzaline: Miami finishes 2nd in the AFCE.
(11:05:35 PM) jhawk01b: my bold prediction for the year is that whoever wins the NFC West will have a winning record
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:02 am

Post by elvis_knits »

SensFan wrote:
elvis_knits wrote:The only problem I have with sensfan voting boxman is that it makes the rival bandwagon as big as his own, which switched momentum to someone else.
First of all, I didn't know the count that well. I know I can't prove it, but the point is moot anyways, for the following reason: what else would you expect me to do? Not vote someone early in the game because I have more votes than them?
I would expect you to vote boxman if you were town thinking boxman is scum or if you were scum wanting a rival bandwagon to get bigger. I know it could go either way... and I'm not sure which.

However, don't try to tell me you didn't know what you were doing. There was a vote count at the top of the page. I assume you can count to three seeing as all the boxman votes were on the same page.
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:09 am

Post by Seol »

Scumteam = elvis_knits, Netopalis, Boxman?
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:18 am

Post by Netopalis »

Sorry, I meant to say setup, not theme.
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:20 am

Post by Seol »

Netopalis wrote:Sorry, I meant to say setup, not theme.
The reason I reacted badly to you mentioning theme is because it relates directly to the setup: discussing setup on day 1 is a
terrible, terrible
idea!
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Post by Netopalis »

Not always. That being said, I could definitely see it being a problem in this specific one....

elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Post by elvis_knits »

Seol wrote:Scumteam = elvis_knits, Netopalis, Boxman?
Why netopalis?
Talk nerdy to me.

Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:48 am

Post by Netopalis »

He doesn't like the fact that I'm going against the common practice of pressure and reaction votes, nor the fact that I suggested setup discussion as a potentially better method of early scumhunting.

Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:58 am

Post by Seol »

Netopalis wrote:He doesn't like the fact that I'm going against the common practice of pressure and reaction votes, nor the fact that I suggested setup discussion as a potentially better method of early scumhunting.
There are things I don't like, such as your going against the practice of random wagonning and your tendency to answer for others - but those are playstyle objections, which don't really reflect on your alignment.

The relevant stuff, however, is
how
you objected to the wagonning: discounting reasoned votes as random, which looked like an attempt to discredit the wagon.

Oh, and suggesting setup discussion is relevant too, because it's
highly
scum-favouring at this point in the game.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by Netopalis »

Fair enough, I retract the statement. I only intended it as a general replacement anyway.

So, just to be clear, you are calling the Boxman vote reasoned? I'll have to reevaluate it, then. I think that the reasoning may be a bit shaky.

Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:03 pm

Post by Seol »

Netopalis wrote:Fair enough, I retract the statement. I only intended it as a general replacement anyway.

So, just to be clear, you are calling the Boxman vote reasoned? I'll have to reevaluate it, then. I think that the reasoning may be a bit shaky.
Of course it's reasoned. That should be evident from my giving a reason.
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:14 pm

Post by elvis_knits »

Netopalis wrote:He doesn't like the fact that I'm going against the common practice of pressure and reaction votes, nor the fact that I suggested setup discussion as a potentially better method of early scumhunting.
Well, I know why he doesn't like you, that's obvious. I actually meant to ask seol why he is connecting you to me. I can see him connecting you to boxman since you poo-pooed his boxman wagon. But why you and me are together, or why boxman and me are together, not sure why.

FTR, I agree that setup speculation is bad and that netopalis is sort of advocating information over analysis. Asking questions = good. But I favor using your vote whenever possible. And wagoning early and often.
Talk nerdy to me.

SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:21 pm

Post by SensFan »

elvis_knits wrote:However, don't try to tell me you didn't know what you were doing. There was a vote count at the top of the page. I assume you can count to three seeing as all the boxman votes were on the same page.
I knew there weren't 6 votes on Boxman, since I hadn't seen that many, so I voted without even checking the count.
(11:05:35 PM) jhawk01b: my bold prediction for the year is that whoever wins the NFC West will have a winning record
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:23 pm

Post by elvis_knits »

So are you going to explain your vote or are you just going to hide behind seol?
Talk nerdy to me.

SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:32 pm

Post by SensFan »

I'm not hiding behind anything, or anyone.

If I see fit to explain the vote, I will. It should be pretty obvious, though.
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:33 pm

Post by Seol »

elvis_knits wrote:
Well, I know why he doesn't like you, that's obvious. I actually meant to ask seol why he is connecting you to me. I can see him connecting you to boxman since you poo-pooed his boxman wagon. But why you and me are together, or why boxman and me are together, not sure why.
Your attack on Sensfan didn't ring true at all, and this in particular:
However, don't try to tell me you didn't know what you were doing. There was a vote count at the top of the page. I assume you can count to three seeing as all the boxman votes were on the same page.
felt unreasonably aggressive. Basically, it came across to me as an engineered argument; finding a reason to attack as opposed to genuine suspicion.

I also wanted to see how you reacted to mimicking your scum-team suggestion postings. The unexpected response: you took it seriously.

PPE: This:
So are you going to explain your vote or are you just going to hide behind seol?
also has that quality of feeling unreasonably aggressive; attacking for the sake of attacking, and notably different in tone to how you're talking to anyone else.
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:41 pm

Post by elvis_knits »

Seol wrote:
elvis_knits wrote:
felt unreasonably aggressive. Basically, it came across to me as an engineered argument; finding a reason to attack as opposed to genuine suspicion.
Why do you think it wasn't genuine?
seol wrote: I also wanted to see how you reacted to mimicking your scum-team suggestion postings. The unexpected response: you took it seriously.
My suggestions were serious. Yours weren't?
seol wrote: PPE: This:
also has that quality of feeling unreasonably aggressive; attacking for the sake of attacking, and notably different in tone to how you're talking to anyone else.
How do you measure "reasonable aggression?" Of course I'm going to be more aggressive to someone that I am voting and think might be scum.
Talk nerdy to me.

StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:58 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

SensFan wrote:SC, why are you assuming my vote isn't serious?
You seemed to just go with the flow. You still had a neutral read afterward, but again, I'm not all for the bandwagon stage.
elvis_knits wrote:The boxman wagon does not look random to me. It looks to be based on a weak scumtell. I don't know how others see boxman's post 31, but to me it's boxman posting without content, posting without trying to advance the game or scum hunt, and possibly the worst sin of all -- making my sensfan bandwagon look silly!
I love how you call a scumtell weak and then make two points against him supporting the tell.

FoS: elvis_knits
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.

What Were You Thinking XV! is in progress.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:11 pm

Post by Iecerint »

elvis, what are you claiming about BM in the bit SC quoted? It reads as if you believe that town-BM is slyly discrediting your wagon on scum-SF. That doesn't make much sense to me.
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:15 pm

Post by Seol »

elvis_knits wrote:
Seol wrote:
elvis_knits wrote:
Why do you think it wasn't genuine?
Because I don't think most people pay that much attention to the vote count at this stage in the game: you're coming across as if it was irresponsible of Sensfan not to know the precise votecount, and furthermore as if he had heightened responsibility for it because he was an alternative wagon. Particularly the use of the phrase "you had to know what you were doing" is highly accusative on something which isn't a reasonable expectation of a typical player at this point.
elvis_knits wrote:
seol wrote:I also wanted to see how you reacted to mimicking your scum-team suggestion postings. The unexpected response: you took it seriously.
My suggestions were serious. Yours weren't?
Well, that depends what you mean by serious. It was reasoned, but not intended to carry much weight.

Did you have reasoning behind yours? If so, please elaborate.

How much weight did you intend them to carry?
elvis_knits wrote:
seol wrote:PPE: This:
How do you measure "reasonable aggression?" Of course I'm going to be more aggressive to someone that I am voting and think might be scum.
I don't
measure
it, that was the impression I took. It seems odd to be so accusative the first time you asked Sensfan for his reasoning, he'd only been asked once up to that point by
anyone
, and your previous exchange had an entirely different subject - so it's not unreasonable for Sensfan to think that's what you were interested in. I also don't get where the "hide behind Seol" comment comes from.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”