Best Role Ideas?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
YamiJoey
YamiJoey
Goon
YamiJoey
Goon
Goon

Post Post #325 (ISO) » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:20 am

Post by YamiJoey »

Looks pretty, mainly because I can just see Zolf going insane and killing Scar's Brother now. xD

Sleeper

Once per game ability. You are killed and your profile revealed as "Living Dead". The next night you are revived.
You win with the Mafia.

[Living Dead: If you are defeated via an ability, you return to the game the next night. as a Vanilla Townie.]

That's basically Sloth's ability in a game I've made.

YJ
Show
i l o v e s e c r e t a g e n t s

Mafia/1-0
Town/0-0
Third/0-0

[b]V/LA on weekends a lot. Soz beefz.[/b]
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #326 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:05 am

Post by PokerFace »

You are a
Sane Cop
. This is a broken role that instantly gets accurate results at night without having to scumhunt. As such you are not in this game or any game of actual challenge. You win when the browns win the superbowl. Good luck
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #327 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:11 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

PokerFace wrote:
You are a
Sane Cop
. This is a broken role that instantly gets accurate results at night without having to scumhunt. As such you are not in this game or any game of actual challenge. You win when the browns win the superbowl. Good luck
Meh, sane cop isn't a broken role, at all. In fact, the way we usually balance a game (12 people, 3 of them scum) dosn't really work unless the town has a sane cop or else something equivalent power-wise; that's part of the reason scum have been winning a majority of mini-theme games lately.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #328 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:47 am

Post by Seol »

The problem with sane cop isn't that it's broken, it's that it's boring. It removes thought process from the game.
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #329 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:03 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

Then why not switch sane with insane (recommended for large games and NOT Newbies)
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #330 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:23 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Seol wrote:The problem with sane cop isn't that it's broken, it's that it's boring. It removes thought process from the game.
Eh, only if the sane cop has a chance to investigate a lot of people, or all the scum. If, as is normal, he only gets to investigate 2 or 3 people, and one is scum, then from the large perspective, what the town has are some solid facts to work from to figure out who the rest of the scum are, but not enough to win with, especially since the cop will generally die after he claims.

Now, if you have a cop and a doc in the same game, that can remove the thought process.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #331 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Post by Seraphim »

I've always been a big fan of alternative investigative roles like Trackers and Watchers.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #332 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

animorpherv1 wrote:Then why not switch sane with insane (recommended for large games and NOT Newbies)
SolemnJ
SolemnJ
Goon
SolemnJ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #333 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:20 pm

Post by SolemnJ »

I love messing with information roles.

My perfectionist cop has to make a read on the player b4 scanning.

it removes the point of scanning, but I like removing that point.
All things are based on perspective.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #334 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:46 am

Post by PokerFace »

I was trying to make a joke about how cops baby town some and you guys had to go all logical on it and kill the joke. darn
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #335 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:47 am

Post by RayFrost »

PokerFace wrote:I was trying to make a joke about how cops baby town some and you guys had to go all logical on it and kill the joke. darn
I got the joke.

I lulzed.

I has prize now?
don't you feel silly now?
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #336 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:51 am

Post by Seol »

animorpherv1 wrote:Then why not switch sane with insane (recommended for large games and NOT Newbies)
Because punisher mechanics suck? Better to use an investigative role that does what it claims to do, but doesn't give plain black and white scum/not scum results.

Yos: I didn't mean that thought process is totally removed from the game, rather that the information you get requires a lot less thought (and interactivity) than the alternatives.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #337 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:26 am

Post by PokerFace »

RayFrost wrote:
PokerFace wrote:I was trying to make a joke about how cops baby town some and you guys had to go all logical on it and kill the joke. darn
I got the joke.

I lulzed.

I has prize now?
you have earned one reserved stop in next pf bastard game
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #338 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:01 pm

Post by RayFrost »

PokerFace wrote:
RayFrost wrote:
I got the joke.

I lulzed.

I has prize now?
you have earned one reserved stop in next pf bastard game
Sweeeeeeet!!!! You'll have to PM me when it starts though (if it's a marathon thingy), cuz I might not have time... due to time zone issues
mask man
mask man
Goon
mask man
Goon
Goon

Post Post #339 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:32 pm

Post by mask man »

Roles From Marathon Day:

You are the Reverse Phone Detective.

You are just a normal detective, but your love for products and determination have brought you to new heights. You can trace a number every night, if that player targetted you that same night you will find their role and allignment. Since you are in the safety of your phone-preeking home, you cannot be blocked, You have a post restriction though; all your posts must contain a link to another site or ad in them.

Night Actions:

Trace

http://www.pnewman.net/shelter/viewtopi ... &start=250

You are a Retired Adventurer

You used to be a very prosperous adventurer, but now you have laid your magical rings and whatnot to rest. You still have a spare potion though, and if you drink it you will be immune to night kills for that night. You can only do this once. You win with the town.

Night Actions:

Drink Potion (one use)

You are a DNA Analyst

Every night you may pick one target and two suspects. You will be told which suspects did and didn't target the target that night. You win with the town.

Night Actions:

Examine

You are a Vampire Hunter

At night you may stalk someone and you will be told if they are a vampire. If you stalk a vampire, you will gain an extra vote the next day. If you happen to stalk a vampire's victim, you will save them and kill the vampire, but you will not gain an extra vote. You win with the town.

Night Actions:

Stalk

You are the Town Priest

Lately you have been hearing rumors about vampires in the town. If a vampire makes an attempt at your life, both you and the vampire will die. You win with the town.

Passive Abilities:

Struggle Against Vampires

You are a villager

You are a perfectly normal villager going about your life. You win with the town.

You are The Godfather

You are in charge of the latest mob crimes in the village. yyy is your son, and you may talk to him at night and in pregame by any means besides the game topic. If you are killed and yyy is still alive, they will take your gun and carry on the family legacy.

Night Actions:

Kill

You are The Godfather's Son

You are the son of xxx. If xxx ever dies, you will take control of the mafiakill. You may talk to them at night and in pregame by any means besides the game topic.
Show
The monster entered the blacksmith.
The monster became Otto the Blacksmith.
Otto the Blacksmith became the strongest man in the village.
But one day he said,
ÔÇ£Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.ÔÇØ
Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!

The hungry monster ate Otto from the inside out.
Raskol
Raskol
Goon
Raskol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #340 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:13 pm

Post by Raskol »

You are an
Internet Dating Site

Each night, you may PM me the names of two players who will be checked for a match based on
our proven 29 dimensions of compatibility
whether or not they share the same win condition. It's well known that true love is better formed between people who aren't trying to kill each other, right? I will PM you either "match" if they are alignment compatible, or "no match" otherwise.

Being happily married, you may not send in your own name.

Legal Disclaimer: Facilitating necrophilia is against the law. Sending in the name of a dead person will get your license revoked and your powers removed, rendering you a mere vanilla townie, and results will not be sent. This applies to persons previously killed or lynched as well as those killed the night you submit your request.

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.
Battousai
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #341 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:55 pm

Post by Battousai »

Don't know if this variant has been done before, but...
You are a
Hypnotist
. Once per night, you may send me the name of one person you wish to hypnotize. That person will not know you targeted them. You will give them a hypnotic command to kill the rest of the town. Once you plus the amount of people you have under your control equals half the remaining players, you will give the kill command and win.
It's a cult, but with a twist that if you get recruited, you don't know it and your alignment doesn't change.

Possible use in nightless games and/or mafialess minis or a large game.
mask man
mask man
Goon
mask man
Goon
Goon

Post Post #342 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:02 pm

Post by mask man »

You are an Alchemist

At night you may enchant a ring or amulet. Rings hold passive abilities, reflex actions, and such. Amulets hold powers that can be used at night. You can either drain the energy off a dead player, or a living player. If from a living player, they have to target you that night or you will not successfully drain them. If you do drain the energy from a living player, you will make both an amulet and ring.

Night Actions:

Drain/Mix

eh, needs tweaking? Maybe this one should be in the other thread?
Show
But one day he said,
ÔÇ£Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.ÔÇØ

mask man
mask man
Goon
mask man
Goon
Goon

Post Post #343 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:02 pm

Post by mask man »

edit: lol doublepost
Show
But one day he said,

RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #344 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:10 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Battousai wrote:Don't know if this variant has been done before, but...
You are a
Hypnotist
. Once per night, you may send me the name of one person you wish to hypnotize. That person will not know you targeted them. You will give them a hypnotic command to kill the rest of the town. Once you plus the amount of people you have under your control equals half the remaining players, you will give the kill command and win.
It's a cult, but with a twist that if you get recruited, you don't know it and your alignment doesn't change.

Seems a bit too strong, since you only find out when it's too late.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #345 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:18 pm

Post by chamber »

RayFrost wrote:
Battousai wrote:Don't know if this variant has been done before, but...
You are a
Hypnotist

Seems a bit too strong, since you only find out when it's too late.

More or less strictly inferior to a normal cult. I hate all forms of cult though.
Taking a break from the site.
Raskol
Raskol
Goon
Raskol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #346 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:02 am

Post by Raskol »

Raskol wrote:You are an
Internet Dating Site

Each night, you may PM me the names of two players who will be checked for a match based on
our proven 29 dimensions of compatibility
whether or not they share the same win condition. It's well known that true love is better formed between people who aren't trying to kill each other, right? I will PM you either "match" if they are alignment compatible, or "no match" otherwise.

Being happily married, you may not send in your own name.

Legal Disclaimer: Facilitating necrophilia is against the law. Sending in the name of a dead person will get your license revoked and your powers removed, rendering you a mere vanilla townie, and results will not be sent. This applies to persons previously killed or lynched as well as those killed the night you submit your request.

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.
Could also be done without removing powers, just give no result if the player is dead.

Basically it's just an investigator that can tell whether two players are aligned together or not. Restrictions on self-match and dead-match prevent the ability from being used intentionally as a cop investigation. Of course, players can still die/flip after they've been matched.

I checked after posting and was surprised not to see anything like this in the Wiki. Can anyone link me to games in which something like this was used? Or if it hasn't been, why not?
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #347 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:05 am

Post by Seol »

Raskol wrote:I was surprised not to see anything like this in the Wiki. Can anyone link me to games in which something like this was used? Or if it hasn't been, why not?
Because it's hella swingy - it ends up being not far off as good as two cops, and furthermore it promotes redux play (where you end up with big Plans based on nightchoices).
Raskol
Raskol
Goon
Raskol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #348 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:13 am

Post by Raskol »

Yeah, you'd have to plan a setup around it. But it would be interesting, I think.

Still, maybe it should go in the other thread. :mrgreen:
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #349 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:35 am

Post by Seol »

Raskol wrote:Yeah, you'd have to plan a setup around it. But it would be interesting, I think.

Still, maybe it should go in the other thread. :mrgreen:
It ends up with one player being massively more important than any other, and accounting for the potential boost it gives the town in lategame whilst still allowing for the role dying before claiming results is a swinginess which is very difficult to eliminate.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”