Mini 876 - Tree Stump II [Day None] (Abandoned)

Quagmire
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:37 pm

Post by Quagmire »

Shanba wrote:Quagmire, how is my vote beneficial to scum?
Because you're admitting to not caring about his alignment when voting for him... it's like you're trying to apply unnecessary pressure, which isn't a townie move.

If you were a newer player, I'd give this a pass as a mafia gaffe, but an experienced townie player should know better than to push a wagon that's not scummy.
Quagmire
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:41 pm

Post by Quagmire »

Sudo_Nym wrote:
Shanba wrote:
It's also stupid for you to vote for me as a punishment for not explaining my vote. How in the world is that a scumtell at all?
This is true.

Quagmire, how is my vote beneficial to scum?
Beat me to it. Maybe Quag and I will have to agree to disagree. The whole point is discussion- that's how the town wins. In what way does withholding discussion help the town?
It's not withholding discussion that concerns me, it's the unnecessary pressure of a vote and attack on a player you admit you don't know the alignment of... I'm all for discussion, but that wasn't necessary or productive.
Quagmire
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:42 pm

Post by Quagmire »

There's a connection here between Sudo_Nym and Shanba... one can only assume that at least one of them is town at this point. Naturally I think the townie of the two would be Sudo_Nym.
Sanjay
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:50 pm

Post by Sanjay »

Mr.Jester wrote:
Sanjay wrote:
Unvote

Vote: Mr.Jester

Is the case unreasonable or is inconclusive? Surely those aren't the same thing to you.
Of course they are not the same thing. Just to be clear let me define what I mean by what I mean by both.

Unreasonable: is an evaluation of the cogency of an argument. i.e given (A,B,C) => D. The argument (A,B,C)=> D is not cogent or reasonable, in other words poor. We can do this on several reasons, ie rejection of premises, relevance and grounds.

Conclusive: Given a set of arguments (A,B,C). The truth of all the premises guarantees the truth of the conclusion, in other words, that the argument is "valid". An argument being inconclusive is the negation of this. it, the truth of all the premises does not guarantee the truth of the conclusion.

As for your vote, you have given no justification or reasoning. That's twice you've done this already in a game that's 3 pages long.
Twice? What was the first time? My vote for Cobalt? Because surely you don't mean my vote for Chinaman. Did you miss post 45? I would expect someone weighing in and commenting on the oddness of the Chinaman wagon to pay more attention to me than that.

As for my case against you that caused my vote:

If you think the argument that Chinaman's scumclaim makes him scummy is unreasonable, why in the world would you say this:
Mr.Jester wrote:However, based on his future actions, this act could serve to support his lynch later on. As for now it isn't conclusive.
What future actions did you have in mind? You were practically arguing that it was a town tell (which I have no problem with, by the way), and here you are saying "hey, maybe if Chinaman gets into trouble we can remember this and lynch him".

What?

There's no conflict between an argument being unreasonable and inconclusive, but it seems off to say an argument is inconclusive when you are also saying it is unreasonable, because the second one is much stronger.
Mr.Jester
Mr.Jester
Townie
Mr.Jester
Townie
Townie

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:18 pm

Post by Mr.Jester »

Sanjay wrote:
Mr.Jester wrote:
Sanjay wrote:
Unvote

Vote: Mr.Jester

Is the case unreasonable or is inconclusive? Surely those aren't the same thing to you.
Of course they are not the same thing. Just to be clear let me define what I mean by what I mean by both.

Unreasonable: is an evaluation of the cogency of an argument. i.e given (A,B,C) => D. The argument (A,B,C)=> D is not cogent or reasonable, in other words poor. We can do this on several reasons, ie rejection of premises, relevance and grounds.

Conclusive: Given a set of arguments (A,B,C). The truth of all the premises guarantees the truth of the conclusion, in other words, that the argument is "valid". An argument being inconclusive is the negation of this. it, the truth of all the premises does not guarantee the truth of the conclusion.

As for your vote, you have given no justification or reasoning. That's twice you've done this already in a game that's 3 pages long.
Twice? What was the first time? My vote for Cobalt? Because surely you don't mean my vote for Chinaman. Did you miss post 45? I would expect someone weighing in and commenting on the oddness of the Chinaman wagon to pay more attention to me than that.

As for my case against you that caused my vote:

If you think the argument that Chinaman's scumclaim makes him scummy is unreasonable, why in the world would you say this:
Mr.Jester wrote:However, based on his future actions, this act could serve to support his lynch later on. As for now it isn't conclusive.
What future actions did you have in mind? You were practically arguing that it was a town tell (which I have no problem with, by the way), and here you are saying "hey, maybe if Chinaman gets into trouble we can remember this and lynch him".

What?

There's no conflict between an argument being unreasonable and inconclusive, but it seems off to say an argument is inconclusive when you are also saying it is unreasonable, because the second one is much stronger.
I think I'm being ambiguous on 2 counts.

1. By justification or reasoning, I mean a cogent argument that Chinaman is scum. Post 45, is in no way any sort of cogent argument. The argument that chinaman shrugging off his claim as a joke implies that he is scum is completely unreasonable.

2. You are correct in finding a flaw in my wording. That should read "for not it is unreasonable" not "conclusive", that was ambiguous english on my part. But yes, for now the argument is not persuasive. However, if that premise is supported by other premises in the future then it could turn into a cogent argument.
Sanjay
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:31 pm

Post by Sanjay »

If you don't understand someone's reasoning is it your policy to assume there is none?
Sanjay
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:35 pm

Post by Sanjay »

"No justification or reasoning" is a bogus way to describe an argument just because you don't agree with it.
Mr.Jester
Mr.Jester
Townie
Mr.Jester
Townie
Townie

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:29 pm

Post by Mr.Jester »

Sanjay wrote:"No justification or reasoning" is a bogus way to describe an argument just because you don't agree with it.
False.

I can respect arguments that are reasonable yet don't persuade me. For example, I am pro Choice. However, I can certainly respect the Pro Life argument as being reasonable and cogent but I am not persuaded by it.

On the other hand, I can dismiss poor arguments on the basis that the argument itself if poor. Take your argument, you claim that because he shrugs of his comment as a joke he must be scum.

If a person shrugs of a comment as a joke imply they are scum. As I said before, logically, we must assume that Chinaman was joking because if we do not then we assume illogical scum, which is illogical. If a comment is a joke, then he can claim that it is a joke (ie, If A, then A). So then if you know he was joking and claims it is a joke, which is true, that certainly does not imply that he is scum. Logically, the point to debate here is that whether we can conclude that he was in fact joking, because if you assume that he was joking, then of course he can claim it is a joke, from which it follows that your argument is not cogent.
Sanjay
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:49 pm

Post by Sanjay »

You are skirting the issue.

Even if I were to concede that the Chinaman case was poor, no reasoning does not equal bad reasoning. You are saying that they do.
Cobalt
Cobalt
trollface.jpg
Cobalt
trollface.jpg
trollface.jpg

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:51 pm

Post by Cobalt »

Quagmire wrote:
Sudo_Nym wrote:
Shanba wrote:
It's also stupid for you to vote for me as a punishment for not explaining my vote. How in the world is that a scumtell at all?
This is true.

Beat me to it. Maybe Quag and I will have to agree to disagree. The whole point is discussion- that's how the town wins. In what way does withholding discussion help the town?
It's not withholding discussion that concerns me, it's the unnecessary pressure of a vote and attack on a player you admit you don't know the alignment of... I'm all for discussion, but that wasn't necessary or productive.
Does anyone else see what I see?
hatersgonnahate.gif
saberwolf
saberwolf
Mafia Scum
saberwolf
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:57 pm

Post by saberwolf »

nope, but then again, I've been patiently waiting for this to wrap up so we can move on in the game, so I haven't been following in great detail.
Show
saberwolf XIX (2:53:59 AM): what do you know about bigger and better? >.>
drench394 (2:54:04 AM): um
drench394 (2:54:13 AM): i've been going through puberty for the better part of a year now

The Last Post Bandit strikes again!
Sanjay
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:01 pm

Post by Sanjay »

For what it is worth, I don't think I clearly articulated why I thought Chinaman is scummy.

I think taking issue with Chinaman's scumclaim is a perfectly legitimate thing to do. It seems gambit-y and deserving of attention. When Chinaman said don't worry about it, it was just a Monty Python quote, The Fonz asked him why he made an irrelevant post. Chinaman's response in post 42 was this:
Chinaman wrote:The Fonz p31: Really? You are pointing at me for irrelevant posts in RVS? Are you serious? If so, why did you decide to pick up on my irrelevant post vs. anyone else's? To answer your question, it's RVS and I was having fun with it.
That Chinaman said he was having fun with it I am fine with. Town or scum, Chinaman could be telling the truth here. But he is also pretty critical of The Fonz for criticizing his post. I don't think this reaction is justified.

Even if Chinaman is joking, I didn't see why he thought The Fonz's comments were so unreasonable. I don't like that he played it off as just having fun when he should realize that no matter what the intention, it is more serious than that.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:08 pm

Post by The Fonz »

Chinaman wrote: The Fonz p31: Really? You are pointing at me for irrelevant posts in RVS? Are you serious? If so, why did you decide to pick up on my irrelevant post vs. anyone else's? To answer your question, it's RVS and I was having fun with it.
Because it doesn't do anything to move the game on. I could post the dead parrot sketch: How would it help us to get into real discussion?
As for the last part, please point out where I was "bitching" about the balance. I think this is a little extreme and a bit of a stretch. It also paints me in a more negative light than what really occurred. .
Again, why does town have reason to complain that a game is unfair to the lumberjacks? Either you're doing nothing of substance, or you're deliberately implying you might be scum in order to get people to jump on you. Neither is good.
Cybele wrote:Four votes on Chinaman already? Bound to be scum jumping on this by now.
Unvote, Vote: Cybele

Tjoe Min Ja wrote:
how about a proposal....you stump yourself and if you aren't scum I'll stump myself (unless you believe that both of us are town)
This is exactly what SilverPhoenix (or was it Korlash?) and Scotmany started doing in TS1. Please don't act like a VI.

Cobalt wrote:shanba, do you really think what TMJ said was scummy as opposed to anti-town? That looks more like a VI move than a scum move. What kind of scum would offer to go 1 for 1 with a vanilla townie?
WIFOM.

Also, antitown = scummy, since town has no incentive to deliberately hurt the town.
Empking wrote:
Quagmire wrote:Can people please stop using 'there's nothing better to go on right now' as an excuse to vote someone? It's not legitimate, and it's not an excuse. Don't pretend like it is.

Besides, we do have something better to go on. Shanba's estranged voting is an early scumtell.
Do you think that Shanba's estranged voting would be worth a vote on day 5?
Why is that relevant? It isn't day 5.
Cobalt wrote: Does anyone else see what I see?
Yes.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:42 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Quagmire wrote:
Sudo_Nym wrote:
Shanba wrote:
This is true.

Which, again, is a bad example. If there were a player I knew to be scum, I would jump upon that wagon in a heartbeat. However, since no scum have been so polite as to step forward and volunteer themselves, I have to leap on players I don't yet know the alignment of, and hope to shake something loose in the pressure.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Tjoe Min Ja
Tjoe Min Ja
Goon
Tjoe Min Ja
Goon
Goon

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:50 am

Post by Tjoe Min Ja »

The Fonz wrote:
Cybele wrote:Four votes on Chinaman already? Bound to be scum jumping on this by now.
I agree that Cybele need to be more active
unvote

vote :Cybele

The Fonz wrote:
Tjoe Min Ja wrote:
how about a proposal....you stump yourself and if you aren't scum I'll stump myself (unless you believe that both of us are town)
This is exactly what SilverPhoenix (or was it Korlash?) and Scotmany started doing in TS1. Please don't act like a VI.
I don't read the entire TS1. And I don't know that SP or Korlash did it before. One thing I know that a scum will not accept the proposal while a town "might" accept it if he believe that I'm scum. the way chinaman "run" and avoiding my question make me think that he is scum.
Show
If you pick a fight with one Goblin, be ready to fight them all.
------ESL------
Finish game :
Mini 838: Jeopardy in Jefferson -over- Town - lose
Mini 839 -- Mafia Invasion! -over- scum win
Mini 840. Tajo's I love you Mafia -over- scum - win
StrangerCoug's Worst Nightmare: D├â┬®j├â┬á Bastard -over- Town - win
Quagmire
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:45 am

Post by Quagmire »

Sudo_Nym wrote:Which, again, is a bad example. If there were a player I knew to be scum, I would jump upon that wagon in a heartbeat. However, since no scum have been so polite as to step forward and volunteer themselves, I have to leap on players I don't yet know the alignment of, and hope to shake something loose in the pressure.
Why would you not vote who you think is scummy? All this talk about 'building pressure' and 'asking questions' is just bullshit masked as an excuse.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:11 am

Post by Empking »

The Fonz wrote:
Empking wrote:
Quagmire wrote:Can people please stop using 'there's nothing better to go on right now' as an excuse to vote someone? It's not legitimate, and it's not an excuse. Don't pretend like it is.

Besides, we do have something better to go on. Shanba's estranged voting is an early scumtell.
I don't agree with his point so i wasasking how much he really believes it.
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:41 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Quagmire wrote:
Sudo_Nym wrote:Which, again, is a bad example. If there were a player I knew to be scum, I would jump upon that wagon in a heartbeat. However, since no scum have been so polite as to step forward and volunteer themselves, I have to leap on players I don't yet know the alignment of, and hope to shake something loose in the pressure.
Why would you not vote who you think is scummy? All this talk about 'building pressure' and 'asking questions' is just bullshit masked as an excuse.
So I'll just sit around and wait for somebody to own up? What method do you believe I should use, then, if building pressure and asking questions is just bullshit?
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Quagmire
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:48 am

Post by Quagmire »

Sudo_Nym wrote:
Quagmire wrote:
So I'll just sit around and wait for somebody to own up? What method do you believe I should use, then, if building pressure and asking questions is just bullshit?
Can you read? You're obviously not understanding what I'm saying.
Quagmire
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:49 am

Post by Quagmire »

Empking wrote:
The Fonz wrote:
Empking wrote:

I don't agree with his point so i wasasking how much he really believes it.
That's a terrible way to gauge whether or not I believe it. It's probably not worth a vote on day 5.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:43 pm

Post by The Fonz »

Tjoe Min Ja wrote:
The Fonz wrote:
I agree that Cybele need to be more active
unvote

vote :Cybele
Why do you 'agree' with something I didn't say? 'Needs to be more active' has NOTHING to do with why I voted Cybele.
The Fonz wrote:
I don't read the entire TS1. And I don't know that SP or Korlash did it before. One thing I know that a scum will not accept the proposal while a town "might" accept it if he believe that I'm scum. the way chinaman "run" and avoiding my question make me think that he is scum.
That is a Grade A pile of steaming faeces, because any town with half a brain will not accept it because of the real possibility you are not scum but simply an idiot. Then again, town with half a brain wouldn't propose it.
Quag wrote:
Quagmire wrote:
Empking wrote: Besides, we do have something better to go on. Shanba's estranged voting is an early scumtell.
That's a terrible way to gauge whether or not I believe it. It's probably not worth a vote on day 5.
Uh-huh. Something has to be a pretty damn huge scumtell to be worth a vote on day five on its own. That something isn't a huge scumtell doesn't mean it's not a scumtell.
Cobalt
Cobalt
trollface.jpg
Cobalt
trollface.jpg
trollface.jpg

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:45 pm

Post by Cobalt »

I've played with TMJ. Not only is he a VI, he is a VI with a weak grasp of English.
hatersgonnahate.gif
Quagmire
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:32 pm

Post by Quagmire »

What is a VI
saberwolf
saberwolf
Mafia Scum
saberwolf
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:00 pm

Post by saberwolf »

Quagmire wrote:What is a VI
village idiot
Show
saberwolf XIX (2:53:59 AM): what do you know about bigger and better? >.>
drench394 (2:54:04 AM): um
drench394 (2:54:13 AM): i've been going through puberty for the better part of a year now

The Last Post Bandit strikes again!
Tjoe Min Ja
Tjoe Min Ja
Goon
Tjoe Min Ja
Goon
Goon

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:15 pm

Post by Tjoe Min Ja »

what ^ said...

@Cobalt : who is the scummiest, then?
Show
If you pick a fight with one Goblin, be ready to fight them all.
------ESL------
Finish game :
Mini 838: Jeopardy in Jefferson -over- Town - lose
Mini 839 -- Mafia Invasion! -over- scum win
Mini 840. Tajo's I love you Mafia -over- scum - win
StrangerCoug's Worst Nightmare: D├â┬®j├â┬á Bastard -over- Town - win

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”