Newbie 835: Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
YamiJoey
YamiJoey
Goon
YamiJoey
Goon
Goon

Post Post #400 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:25 am

Post by YamiJoey »

He's been under fire since D1 (might've been D2), and the arguments have been fairly strong against him.

IMO Scum are lolling right now. We've not lynched anyone who we've really wanted to lynch. Double A got lynched through me being thick, then we were going for me, and stuff got thrown around, then PP came out of no-where and we lynched her. - No real point to this, just wanted to point out how badly things had gone and how well Scum have done in order to cause confusion and disrupt us.

I am unsure about a massclaim. If everyone else is fine with it, then I suppose I'll have to, and I can see the pro's, but it's never gone well when people have just started claiming and I've been involved in the game. Either I've made the game and claiming has gotten people killed (obv. not here) or people have claimed and we've always ended up lynching Town as liars and got it totally wrong. We've not always lost, but it's rarely helped; so I'm just a little cautious.

YJ
Show
i l o v e s e c r e t a g e n t s

Mafia/1-0
Town/0-0
Third/0-0

[b]V/LA on weekends a lot. Soz beefz.[/b]
YamiJoey
YamiJoey
Goon
YamiJoey
Goon
Goon

Post Post #401 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:52 am

Post by YamiJoey »

EBWOP: Scerw it; there's more pro's than there are cons. IMO Cop should claim, but not Doc. Doc isn't all than necessary, and Cop could even have scanned the Doc and know who it is.

YJ
Show

Mafia/1-0
Town/0-0
Third/0-0

YamiJoey
YamiJoey
Goon
YamiJoey
Goon
Goon

Post Post #402 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:53 am

Post by YamiJoey »

EBWOP: Sorry for the triple post, but I just had a brainwave; would my above post mean it's better for the Doc to come forward first? IMO it would be.

YJ
Show

Mafia/1-0
Town/0-0
Third/0-0

Kirbyoshi
Kirbyoshi
Mafia Scum
Kirbyoshi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #403 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:16 pm

Post by Kirbyoshi »

YJ wrote:Cop could even have scanned the Doc and know who it is.
I don't think cop would know who doc was by investigating. I think cop would only know that the doc player was town-sided, and nothing else.

LyLo is generally the time when massclaiming should enter the discussion, imo. Near the end of the game, so there's not much harm, I guess. Initially I was against a massclaim; now, idk. I suppose if we get a scum-cc, there's a 50/50 chance we make it through this Day, and then it would still be LyLo toMorrow. So, the most there can be is one more Day after toDay. I don't guess a massclaim would be all that bad.
Show
Kirbyoshi 2.0 records:
Town: 1-0

"I view myself as a turtle..."--Heilograph
"We were all noobs once...except Chuck Norris."--CHAOSDRAGON88
yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #404 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:38 pm

Post by yabbaguy »

Cop gets "Innocent", "Guilty", or "No Result" (ie: roleblocked for the latter)

Now this isn't the final LyLo, of course. There is a Day 4 if we lynch scum today. I still think that in order to get even one scum, I think it's the best road to go down. Unless we're really so confident as to lynch someone... but I'm not at that level, I'm afraid. :(
yabbaguy ~ Winning without actually winning.

Town: 10-21 | Mafia: 3-4 | Other: 0-1
yGDB
(meta + commentary)

- On reruns at Sens-O-Tape!
Kirbyoshi
Kirbyoshi
Mafia Scum
Kirbyoshi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #405 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:40 pm

Post by Kirbyoshi »

[quote=yabba]I think it's the best road to go down. Unless we're really so confident as to lynch someone... but I'm not at that level, I'm afraid.[/quote]As am I not--er, As not I am--er, Not I as am? Ahem, neither am I. Massclaim looks like probably the best road to go down as of now. Still waiting for Webz though...
Show
Kirbyoshi 2.0 records:

Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #406 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:23 pm

Post by Thok »

Webz has not picked up his role PM. I'm going to go hunting for a replacement, although if he posts before I get a replacement than he can stay.

Official Vote Count (deadline 10/21)

Kirbyoshi: (0)
Webz: (0)
YamiJoey: (0)
Devotress: (0)
yabbaguy: (0)

Not Voting: (5) (Kirbyoshi, Webz, YamiJoey, Devotress, yabbaguy)

With 5 alive, it takes 3 to lynch.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #407 (ISO) » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:45 pm

Post by yabbaguy »

@YJ-400-402: Cop investigation results could really be helpful at this point YJ. I don't see why we'd want to hide him, unless you really want to have a gamble and go for the lynch now.

It's a 50-50 gamble if we just go for the lynch right away, but we could skew this gamble if we get a copclaim or docclaim now.

I'd like to cut to the chase here, do we want to massclaim or not?

yGDB
(meta + commentary)

Devotress
Devotress
Goon
Devotress
Goon
Goon

Post Post #408 (ISO) » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:56 pm

Post by Devotress »

yabbaguy wrote:I'd like to cut to the chase here, do we want to massclaim or not?

I say we just mass claim. games kind of moving slow right now, maybe the claim'll give us something to talk about.
Kirbyoshi
Kirbyoshi
Mafia Scum
Kirbyoshi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #409 (ISO) » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:22 pm

Post by Kirbyoshi »

We're not waiting for Webz's replacement to get here?
Show
Kirbyoshi 2.0 records:

yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #410 (ISO) » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:32 pm

Post by yabbaguy »

^Oh yeah... good point. I never like to leave replacements on the table either.

yGDB
(meta + commentary)

YamiJoey
YamiJoey
Goon
YamiJoey
Goon
Goon

Post Post #411 (ISO) » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:11 pm

Post by YamiJoey »

In what way do you mean that? Would you rather wait?

A new player could be helpful, but if Webz is/was Town, then we could end up having another PP situation.

YJ
Show

Mafia/1-0
Town/0-0
Third/0-0

Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #412 (ISO) » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:39 pm

Post by Thok »

Y replaces Webz, effective as soon as he posts in the thread.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Y
Y
Mafia Scum
Y
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #413 (ISO) » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:43 am

Post by Y »

So it looks like we've got our little mess here. Fun fun fun...

I took the liberty of reading the whole thread already, so I'm up to date, but I did it without knowing my role, so I got some wrong conclusions. This is an "I'm here" post, and I'll have another one posted with more content in the a few minutes.

In the meanwhile, I believe a mass-claim is the way to go. A mislynch at this point means we lose the game, so any good information we get can help. Today's lynch is all you need to think about. If we don't do it right, we have no night nor a "tomorrow", so messing this lynch so that scum won't find PRs (Power Roles) during the night is futile.

About the claim itself, I like the way we usually do it here:
Some one rolls a dice to see who goes first. That player claims and then rolls a dice to see who follows and so on. In-post die rolls can't be faked and the result is known only after the post is sent, so no one can affect it. The importance of making the claims order random is that most player can't afford to fake-claim a PR, since they don't know who follows and what will they claim.
The other option to mass-claim is deciding an order based on who is the scummiest and going on from there.

Feel free to discuss while I get myself to rethink about the game, but please don't jump the gun. There's usually a player that decides by himself to start the mass-claim by claiming and rolling the ball (Rolling a dice, actually), so please don't do anything until we've all reached a conclusion.

May the force be with you all.
Y
Y
Mafia Scum
Y
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #414 (ISO) » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:53 am

Post by Y »

Just remembered that Yami (Sorry, but YJ will be confusing with my name) claimed already, so when we start the mass-claim, he's a good candidate do decide the order if we use a dice.
Y
Y
Mafia Scum
Y
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #415 (ISO) » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:28 am

Post by Y »

While catching up I was almost sure that me (Webz) and yabba were a scum pair. Since it tunes out I'm not scum, I'll let yabba take the lead, followed by Devo. About Devo I'm not so sure.

The reason I don't like yabba is the way he pushes the wrong lynches in the right time. He has a total of three votes throughout the game:
The first one was on AA. Not a lot to add there since some one [cough]Yami[/cough] finished him abruptly.
Second vote was on Kirby. I didn't like this one. Yami was on his way to the noose for a stupid mistake. He (yabba) also dropped a Fos at the end of D1 to create even more fuss around Yami. In games like this, people tend to be harsh and react too quickly. It seemed to me like yabba was trying to keep the Yami lynch going while voting another player. That way, when Yami turns out town and everybody finally realizes they were just a mindless lynch mob, yabba's name is off the vote count. The logic behind Kirby's vote seems made up. I might even think yabba wanted no one to follow him on that one.
About PP, he slowly pushed FoSes and accusations while the suspicions slowly moved from Kirby to PP. Then, five days before deadline he finally casts a L-1 vote, which will become a silent hammer at deadline. Notice how he freaks out when Yami unvotes so close to deadline.

After writing this, it seems to me like yabba and Kirby might be a scum-pair. Yabba pushes his partner under the bus, but pushes harder when a townie might get lynched instead.

I need to go over Devo again.
yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #416 (ISO) » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:15 am

Post by yabbaguy »

@Y-415: Being wrong is not a scumtell. The cases were all there in plain view, and I believed I explained my swap to princess, how her pinning was more blatant than Kirby's scum actions at that moment.

I freaked out at YJ because he was doing an incredibly anti-town thing to jeopardize a lynch so close to deadline. It comes partially from my negative feelings towards YJ for screwing up protocol D1 and hammering way too soon.

If you're referencing my Reversed Scumhunting Methods reasoning for voting Kirby, I believe it to be legitimate. I've used it once in another game (ongoing, can't say much more), and I believe it to be valid seeing as all the motives fall into place.

Your case, I believe, revolves around me being opportunistic, and that isn't the case at all.

yGDB
(meta + commentary)

yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #417 (ISO) » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:17 am

Post by yabbaguy »

Sorry for using "YJ" repeatedly, this might take a while to get used to. ^_^

yGDB
(meta + commentary)

YamiJoey
YamiJoey
Goon
YamiJoey
Goon
Goon

Post Post #418 (ISO) » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:45 am

Post by YamiJoey »

FFS I'm sorry for D1. ¬_¬ lol

Whilst I don't agree with Y's name, I do agree with their/your point about my already claiming and so deciding the next person.

What exactly do you mean by an in-thread dice roll, though.

I didn't think about the 'Silent Hammer' idea. Looking back, Kirby then unvoted me and HoS'd PP, before Devo switched to PP to push the lynch through.

So I'm simply going to assume we maybe lynch Yabba and are right in this next paragraph. (I'm not at home, and I don't now simply assume Yabba is scum, I simply don't have time to check Y's claim on this so I'm giving my oppinion.)

Kirby didn't play this silent hammer role, but HoS'd PP. This means that he could either have the same ideas as you, and realise the idea behind not getting someone lynched as Town, or he could be attempting to force someone else to push the lynch through as Scum. Devotress then came along and did that, which, after what you've said, could be seen as
very
scummy indeed. I'd also like to point out that Yabba "confirm-voted" PP, and I feel that was in order to push a vote to complete the lynch.

In this situation, I think that Devotress comes out more scummy, but I am trying to use logic and not include the fact I'm already pretty adamant(sp?) that Kirby
is
Scum, and I think a Kirby/Devo scum-team sound just plain correct. I've also recently (here comes the 6for6 thing) become quite good at seeking Town. I've been through about four games whilst playing this one, and I've been getting better and better at creating lists of people I think are Town and being right. This makes me even more warey to put anything onto Yabba, as he has been so pro-Town and on my pro-Town list the entire game. (The only person to remain there.)

Of course; this is all assuming that there is a proper case against Yabbaguy, and I'll be checking that as soon as I can.

YJ
Show

Mafia/1-0
Town/0-0
Third/0-0

Y
Y
Mafia Scum
Y
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #419 (ISO) » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:53 am

Post by Y »

I get it that you're used to "YJ". I don't really care if you keep using it, it's just that while reading I thought I've seen my name popping up a lot, while not actually being in the game. Use it if you wish, as long as people don't get confused.

As opposed to most of you guys (And girls), I read the thread knowing who's going to die and them being town. I was reading and actually predicting where your (yabba's) votes will go. Once PP replaced in, I watched her wagon building. I actually foretold the way you'll push it without any commitment and when the wagon is right on the edge, you'll put your vote and let it roll down the hill. When a player noticed it's rolling full speed ahead and tried to slow it, you screamed at him.

Right before a lynch is made, especially if that lynch means LYLO the next day, if some one stops to think and screams that we're might be about to lynch a townie, we should listen. We shouldn't shut him up.
I know that technically my player was the one to get PP lynched, but I didn't think she was scummy (Although I knew the result, so I'm not really objective about it). I believe ignoring Yami's call was anty-town. Pointing fingers at him (Figuratively. I don't remember if any actual FoSes flew around) was scummy.

I also noted to myself that in the beginning of D2, a wagon was building on Yami. yabba pointed out that he's scummy, but voted for another player. Right where the L-1 should've been, there was an "I know your case is valid, but out of the blue I'm going to do something else and not get dirty with this insane angry wagon". I think that in at least half the newbie games I played, D1 ended by a townie just hammering for sport (It was me in my first newbie). Any experienced player knows that and hopefully tries to stop the crazy lynch that follows. yabba chose to give it a little push, but stay clear of it when a lynched townie is revealed.
Y
Y
Mafia Scum
Y
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #420 (ISO) » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:08 am

Post by Y »

This is a dice roll:
Original Roll String: 1d5
1 5-Sided Dice: (4) = 4

Done this way (Firs number means the number of rolls, the second means how many sides the dice will have):

Code: Select all

[dice]1d5[/dice]

The result is decided by the code while posting the message to the board, so no one, not even the author of the post, can know the result beforehand. You can try it while posting. Notice that every time you hit "Preview", you get a different result and when you submit the post, the dice is "rolled" again. No way to know the result until it's posted and can't be edited.

If any of you thinks he can tell for sure who's town, I'd suggest reading this game. It's more interesting reading it without knowing the roles beforehand.
YamiJoey
YamiJoey
Goon
YamiJoey
Goon
Goon

Post Post #421 (ISO) » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:09 am

Post by YamiJoey »

This is the add-on to my previous post. If I get ninja'd then I'll EBWOP after this. I'd also like to quickly ask:

[quote=Y]The other option to mass-claim is deciding an order based on who is the scummiest and going on from there.[/quote]

What order would you personally choose for that, obviously excluding yourself for now.

He stalled for quite some time, and also made a fair few "Pro-Towns":

Double A: He claimed "I don't think you're scum, but I think you're misguided."
Humble Poirot: Claimed he was "very likely town", and he was.
Webz: Claims he was Pro-Town,

He also suspected Kirbyoshi fairly early, and then decided not to jump me on day 2, but instead go for Kirbyoshi. He was also fairly needy to get PP lynched.

One thing I have just noticed is 373 and around that. I don't understand exactly what happened there. Yabba seemed to try to make something happen, possibly make Kirbyoshi seem more scummy than he already did/does, or to do the exact opposite and get Kirby to defend himself against something quite well so people will see it and go "Maybe he's not Scum after all". I'd like someone else's view on what happened there, as my logic isn't anywhere near what is needed to work out what went on.

I'd just like to clarify that I still want a Kirby lynch, as he's been scummy since the beginning, and we've not found a single Scum yet, so it'd be nice to be right, but we've got loads of time, and I'm sure that if Kirby
is
Scum, he'll slip up today and I'll think about it at that point. Someone will slip-up, it's just what happens.

YJ
Show

Mafia/1-0
Town/0-0
Third/0-0

Y
Y
Mafia Scum
Y
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #422 (ISO) » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:17 am

Post by Y »

373: I think yabba wanted to tell Kirby to hammer PP. Assuming she'd be scum, he wanted to see if Kirby would do it, having a conflict if they are partners.

Now that we know PP was town, the whole thing is irrelevant.
Y
Y
Mafia Scum
Y
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #423 (ISO) » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:20 am

Post by Y »

The game I posted is interesting by itself and it can teach some things about who you should trust and how dangerous it might be. It's a 9-pages game including the post-game summery.
YamiJoey
YamiJoey
Goon
YamiJoey
Goon
Goon

Post Post #424 (ISO) » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:08 am

Post by YamiJoey »

Until you decide to claim roleblocker, I think you're Town. xD

Back to our point, anyway. Are we claiming yet?

YJ
Show

Mafia/1-0
Town/0-0
Third/0-0

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”