Newbie 827 - Store Katana (Scum Win!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Tenchi
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #425 (ISO) » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:05 pm

Post by Tenchi »

VOTE COUNT

(3) purple princess - julienvonwolfe, Messiah, Wysp

(2) NewAgeWarrior - purple princess, orphevs

Not Voting: NewAgeWarrior, RayFrost

With 7 alive, it takes 4 to lynch

DEADLINE: October 1, 2009 12:01 PM PST
Yes. That same Tenchi. :D

Reicheru and Tenchi begin to bond more, sending love letters to each other.
orphevs
orphevs
Townie
orphevs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #426 (ISO) » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:39 am

Post by orphevs »

Okay, so shuffling work around didn't go so good. But for what it's worth, here's what I've put together about my case on NAW. It's not as polished or developed as I wanted because I have to run and write a report that I'm already late on, but I think I've managed to cover all the substantive stuff that I fould scummy.
So to begin with I'm not even going to mention the roleclaim. That's been discussed to death and I think people already have their opinions on it. So in general I have been a bit concerned at NAW's play-style because he seems to generally try to keep very safe. He has told the town to be more aggressive in stating their suspicions here:
Post 240 (in response to a comment he made about people needing to "stick their necks out to protect the town":
Getting town killed is not good. however, sitting on your ass doing or saying nothing out of fear of being lynched is just as bad. sometimes waiting for scum to slip is not enough. sometimes you need to make the scum slip up.
(no risk no reward, no pain no gain, ect...)
This
by itself
isn't really scummy to me. However, the fact that he himself seems so reluctant to vote without asking other players for their advice and opinions on the player he suspects makes this comment scummy. It seems like he's unwilling to take his own advice. Of course he may just be reluctant because, like he said, he just doesn't want to lynch town, but that's just not the vibe I get from how he's been playing.
His discussion of no-lynch as an option we should consider even after Wysp was told it was a bad idea and agreed was also odd to me. If a beginner who doesn't really understand the way mafia is played on this site could understand that NL was a bad idea after a quick discussion of what NL leads to in the game, I really wonder why NAW didn't pick up on why it was a bad idea. This is especially odd since he is SE. As people started to question him for this and become more suspicious, n107 made his really stupid post voting for Wysp with no explanation so all attention was diverted from NAW. After everyone starts to really question n107 for this move, NAW jumps in and says that n107 is the most suspicious player to him (Post 122) and then disappears for 4 days. When he comes back he just says:

Post 141:
Sorry guys. I've been here, but there really isn't much to say at this point. Everything I would have said has been said. I agree that N107 is looking scummy right now...
And in the same post:
I also have a weird vibe at Xscorpion. I'm not sure why, I just do.
After his absence the focus is so much on n107 that his NL discussion is all but forgotten. Also, I think the random throwing in of suspicion with no backing on XScorpion is scummy. It gives NAW a way to have a suspect even when n107 is replaced.

Later, in post 201, he lays out a list of suspects and then asks three players, two of which are the two who are voting for him, why they are voting that way. Here are the relevant quotes:

Post 201:
adamrights- scummy looking predecessor, hasn't done much to improve the image
Wysp- scummy behavior, jumpy vote, but I believe it has been more noob behavior than scum
NAW- Role claim, No-lynching opinions
Xscorpion- OMGUS posts and bad reactions to pressure
oramiuri- lurking for the most part.
@pp
You voted for me after my role claim. Is this the only reason for my vote, or do you have others? Do I still appear scum to you or have you simple had no reason to change your vote?
@excedrin
You voted for me on your first (or second) post, at the time it seemed you were concerned with my no-lynch additude. Do you still belive i am scum at this time?
@vonwolfe
you are the most experienced here. your vote is on wysp. so, do you still think wysp is scum or that he has just been a noob? Who else is scum in your opinion.
This seems to me like a way to try to shake off the votes on him. It gives the impression that he's accepting the votes since he lists himself with the others, but at the same time it points out that many others look suspicious. This whole post may be a small piece of evidence, but it's the fact that there are a serveral small pieces that makes me lean scum on NAW.
In post 231, after Omamuri made a comment asking Excedrin who to vote for, which I think was meant rhetorically, he quickly jumped on her and said that it was a scummy comment, then pointed a FoS at her. Once others said that Omamuri didn't mean it literally he doesn't even bother to agree that it wasn't a literal comment and take back his FoS. He doesn't even mention it anymore at all.
That night XScorpion is lynched and Excedrin is NK. Excedrin had a vote on NAW, which makes me a bit suspicious. After this NAW posts:

Post 270:
Damn you xscorpion, and damn you mafia.

@messiah
Your analysis is very well though out and put together. It certainly raises my attention at her ATM.
And from the same post:
Just a theory as to why Excedrin was killed. He was on to something as far as the 3rd vote theory goes, or he was on the right track to catching scum. Its not much, but its something.
The "damn you mafia" thing is a classic scum-tell, according to Julien's post 278. More suspicious to me, though, is the second quote. Excedrin was killed, one obvious interpretation of why is that NAW if scum who felt threatened by his vote and so took him out with his scumbuddy, and NAW immediately, before anyone else throws out theories on why Excedrin was taken out, throws out another theory that throws suspicion on Julien, Messiah, and/or Wysp (the "third votes", unless I misunderstand the term). This deflects attention away from the other possible theory before it can even be stated, and it give a large number of other players to question. Seems like it would be a great way for maf to throw the town's attention away from them. The idea of NAW being framed is still a possibility, but again, there are enough little pieces of evidence that I think they all sort of support one another.
From that point forward he hasn't seemed to be nearly as prone to making accusations or stating suspicions. This may just be because for the most part from N1 until the suspicions were more strongly on PP he was mostly just defending himself, but I think he could defend himself and still point out suspicious moves by others. His reluctance to hammer PP, even now that we're so close to the deadline, is also a bit suspicious to me. He seems pretty confident that she's the most scummy, but he hasn't hammered. If he's town I can't see a reason for this. If he's maf then he'd know that she's town, and might be worried about being the hammer on a townie because it would attract suspicion. Not sure if this argument makes sense, it just occurred to me more recently. That's basically what I have so far that makes me suspicious besides gut feeling. So that's my case. Sorry about taking so long to get it in, but things have been a bit hectic for me recently.
Show
Vik, the n00b-X0R5
Currently playing: Store Katana
Played: Nothing
Win-Loss:
Townie: 0 - 0
NewAgeWarrior
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
Goon

Post Post #427 (ISO) » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:02 am

Post by NewAgeWarrior »

All you really have done is re-hashed old points and put them into one post, and pretty much everything you said I have answered before, so I don't feel the need to repeat myself. However, I will re-read during the night stage (pending me being lynched NK), and give you a very through answers to all your points.

A more important question(s) for today is this:
1)Why should PP be lynched?
2)Why should PP not be lynched?

I'm not trying to blow you off or deflect, but I feel as if PP is the more pertinent subject. She is at L-1 and I intend to lynch her tomorrow morning (unless you bring up some
amazing
points or an unvote).
ITSA, United States Navy
W-L
Townie: 1-2
In Progress: 2 alive
purple princess
purple princess
Goon
purple princess
Goon
Goon

Post Post #428 (ISO) » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:07 am

Post by purple princess »

NAW wrote:She is at L-1 and I intend to lynch her tomorrow morning (unless you bring up some amazing points or an unvote).
Why do you feel the need to wait to lynch me? nothing has changed for days so what make a difference between now an then?
NewAgeWarrior
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
Goon

Post Post #429 (ISO) » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:14 pm

Post by NewAgeWarrior »

At this point, I would like to hear back from orpheus.

and also
NAW wrote:
PP wrote: @NAW, can I ask why you haven't hammered me yet? you seem to be pretty sure that I am scum. I guess if I do flip town you will have some questions to answer on day three.
I'm never 100% sure if someone is scum, and you are no exception. We also have a few days in which anyone (including you) find some form of incriminating evidence. Something may turn up, and you may be the one o do that, but if you or the time is gone, it can't happen.
We have 8 days by my count. Who knows, AR may say something finally and it may make me want to lynch him and not you.
I already answered that. It (for the most part) still applies.

Plus, if you are not scum, and you are lynched, then I feel like i will cetrainly be lynched tomorrow, and then the scum wins. so really, the i feel the whole game is on the line with my hammer.

I really hope we have alot of activity tonight.
ITSA, United States Navy
W-L
Wysp
Wysp
Goon
Wysp
Goon
Goon

Post Post #430 (ISO) » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:38 pm

Post by Wysp »

Why do you feel the need to wait to lynch me? nothing has changed for days so what make a difference between now an then?
Because something might crop up. As the old adage goes, "don't jump the gun."

Personally, I agree with Orph, NAW does look really, really scummy. However, it just looks suspicious the way that PP was relentlessly prosecuting him, so that is what got my attention. If PP flips town, at least we'll know who to inspect next.
Men are like colonies of bacteria. The more heat you apply, the faster they grow.

We can't see the demons that lurk in the dark...That's why humans are weak.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #431 (ISO) » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:13 pm

Post by RayFrost »

As NAW said (and I think I said this before as well), orph's post is just saying the points that have already been covered. It's nothing new. Adding old news that's already been thoroughly read, triple read, and quadruple analyzed is pointless and fluff that doesn't seem like fluff when posted in three paragraph blocks.
don't you feel silly now?
orphevs
orphevs
Townie
orphevs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #432 (ISO) » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:01 pm

Post by orphevs »

I just posted that because Messiah and you both asked for my more fleshed out account of why I think NAW is scummy. Anyways, since I'm new I assumed that it was okay for me to restate things. If I didn't I would have very little to say at first. I didn't see anyone jumping on you or Excedrin in your guys first impressions posts for restating things. If your problem is that I'm more wordy when I do it, then I guess that makes sense. Unfortunately reading a bunch of philosophy has kind of made me take up the tortuous style of writing that I'm used to reading. If that's really what bothers you let me know and I'll try to change it, but from what you said it seems like the problem you have is more about what I'm posting than how. If that's the case all I can say is that if I think something that is a really important scumtell is being ignored I'm going to go ahead and point it out rather than say "well someone mentioned it once before, I guess I have to completely ignore it now". If there's a whole lot of this kind of information, I have no problem with restating all of it in the hopes that people will, upon a second view of the evidence, rethink what they've seen and perhaps come to new conclusions. This seems like progress to me, not pointless fluff.
In any case, I didn't claim I had anything major that was new, I'm sorry if I gave ya'll that impression. I do, however, think that I added
some
new information that hasn't been at all considered yet. Actually, I'm surprised you don't think so and it makes me think that you're either ignoring the new information or just not reading carefully enough. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning that it was odd for NAW to disappear for 4 days and then say that the reason was that he didn't have anything to say. If someone had already brought this up could you point me to the post where they did? I'm not surprised that NAW wants to write off everything that I said as old news even though it's not, but the fact that you are doing the same makes me more suspicious of you. You've been defending NAW a decent amount more than I can understand, to be honest.
Show
Vik, the n00b-X0R5
Win-Loss:
julienvonwolfe
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #433 (ISO) » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:33 pm

Post by julienvonwolfe »

I can see how a case can be made for NAW being scum. However, considering PP's lie, hypocrisy and crap logic, I'm not going to change my vote.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #434 (ISO) » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:07 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Eh... I'm merely pointing out things that I think are flawed. If I was defending him, I'd be stating a case
for
him.

NAW should be replying to some parts of your case, but much of it has already been replied to as well. Restating a case doesn't make it any more or less valid, but stating it as if the person hadn't replied to such suspicions before does make the case somewhat less valid than before.

Overall, you seem to be misunderstanding me.

1. I posted
after
NAW did. Thus, I'm not giving him something to latch onto.

2. I'm not saying NAW is or should be exempt from suspicion.

3. I do find you finding me suspicious and exaggerating how much I'm "defending" NAW to be a bugger

4. Admittedly, NAW is not my main suspect. PP is. Adamrights was for a short time as well.

any questions on this?
purple princess
purple princess
Goon
purple princess
Goon
Goon

Post Post #435 (ISO) » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:58 pm

Post by purple princess »

NAW wrote:Plus, if you are not scum, and you are lynched, then I feel like i will cetrainly be lynched tomorrow, and then the scum wins. so really, the i feel the whole game is on the line with my hammer.
I see we get the real reason now for you not voting for me, well I guess you may want to start getting you excusses together ready for day three then! :)
NewAgeWarrior
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
Goon

Post Post #436 (ISO) » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:37 am

Post by NewAgeWarrior »

@orphevs
I guess I didn't come off in the way i waned to come off in that post. I ment it more in a way that PP is the issue at hand IMO. I waned to hear your opinions on her, yet you didn't give them when they were most needed. instead, like PP, you just tunnelvisioned onto me.

Also
However, I will re-read during the night stage (pending me being lynched NK), and give you a very through answers to all your points.
So stop talking like I'm ignoring you and that I will just ignore everything you say. I'm just priotitizing right now.

Also, your case on my 4 days of absence is ill-founded in my opinion. many players have not posted in over 4+ days before (in this game and probably every other game ever). Also, check the content between the posts, and you can read for yourself that there was nothing substanial to say that hadn't already been said.

I would have liked to hear your opinions on PP before this day came to a close, but apparently defending yourself/attacking me was more important, and i find this unfortunate.

@PP
I need no excuses, i have reasons for everything I've done. and your last post is just stupid. your trying to make me look bad because i dont want to make a mistake and potenialy lose the game? You think i should just haphazardly hammer? and it wasn't "the real reason" it was A reason, and a very legit one if i do say so myself.

Well, I've delayed as much as I can now, but it's time to end this day.

Vote: Purple Princess
ITSA, United States Navy
W-L
orphevs
orphevs
Townie
orphevs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #437 (ISO) » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:18 am

Post by orphevs »

I felt like I already gave my opinions on PP pretty clearly in my pasts posts, but overall I think given the few new things I have noticed about her she's probably the second scummiest player. I'm still more suspicious of NAW. I would state exactly why I think she's scummy, but I don't want to repeat myself until I manage to figure out how exactly things work here.
I know I already tried to explain why I repeated arguments, but I guess I really do want to figure this out so I can play right. Sorry about spending so much time on this when the deadline's so close, but I figure since we've already hammered it's not that big a deal. Besides, I really want to figure it out since it's my first game here. I figure I should probably get things straight while people are still willing to put up with my beginner's questions. I didn't mean to "tunnelvision" down in on you, NAW, but people asked me what my case against you was (including RayFrost, who quickly thereafter told me I wasn't adding anything by responding to his request). If I mention anything as suspicious that has allegedly been "replied" to, it's only because I don't think a good enough reason has been given for the behavior. If I mention my suspicions once and I feel that they're addressed sufficiently then I try not to mention them again. For example, I specifically said I wouldn't bother trying to dissect the comment about being a townie because I thought it had already been analyzed to the point that reconsidering it wouldn't bring any important information in. If my style of play is not the correct way to post it seems odd to me. If players are not allowed to bring things up once someone responds to them even if a player thinks the responses are inadequate then people could use any lame response to explain any scummy behavior and others wouldn't be allowed to continue their investigation in that direction. For example, I could post as my first post in a game "/confirm mafia" and then when questioned about it just say "oh, sorry, typo" and no one could even mention it again because I've "replied". If this is bad reasoning, could anyone explain to me what I'm doing wrong? Any advice on how to play "correctly" would be much appreciated. I have to admit, having only played face-to-face mafia games the idea that there is a correct way to play besides "find and lynch the mafia before they take you out" is odd to me, so I may very well just be missing some obvious points.

@rayfrost
As far as not giving NAW anything to "latch" onto, I don't think that defending someone necessarily requires posting before they do. And when I said you were defending him, I meant you have done so often throughout the game, not just in that post. If anything, that post was one of the less overt time that you have backed up NAW. As to stating things "as if the person hadn't replied to such suspicions before", I think I mentioned above why I did that. In particular in this case I think things have been
sufficiently
explained because a big part of why I suspect NAW despite several of his actions having been explained to some extent is that there are so many things he needed to explain. My explanation happens to include various things that
can
be explained reasonably and which have been addressed to some extent because I think there are enough of these things that when they are taken in aggregate they are too numerous to have happened by chance. I tried to make this come through in my post, but maybe I just wasn't clear enough about that. Does that make the post more worthwhile or is there still something that I'm doing wrong?
Show
Vik, the n00b-X0R5
Win-Loss:
NewAgeWarrior
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
Goon

Post Post #438 (ISO) » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:52 am

Post by NewAgeWarrior »

I never ment to drill you for brining up old points, I simply felt that it wasn't the time. Your doing fine for you first game IMO.
You say that (as I interpret it) that PP is basicly #2 on your list and i am #1. Having said that, do you think PP should have been lynched? (if you cant answer before the thread lock, please answer day 3)
ITSA, United States Navy
W-L
orphevs
orphevs
Townie
orphevs
Townie
Townie

Post Post #439 (ISO) » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:53 pm

Post by orphevs »

Somehow I have a gut feeling that she's not scum, but logically speaking I would say she probably is a good choice. The evidence against her is pretty bad, especially more recently once the pressure has been put on her. She's been acting more and more strange in her reactions, so I'd say that she's a good choice for a lynch.
Show
Vik, the n00b-X0R5
Win-Loss:
Tenchi
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #440 (ISO) » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:17 pm

Post by Tenchi »

VOTE COUNT

(4) purple princess - julienvonwolfe, Messiah, Wysp NewAgeWarrior

(2) NewAgeWarrior - purple princess, orphevs

Not Voting: RayFrost

With 7 alive, it takes 4 to lynch

DEADLINE: October 1, 2009 12:01 PM PST

Tenchi
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #441 (ISO) » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:19 pm

Post by Tenchi »

Purple Princess (
Townie
)
was
lynched
Day Two

Deadline for Night Two actions: October 4, 2009 9:00PM PST

Tenchi
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #442 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:21 pm

Post by Tenchi »

It was a long day yesterday, and everybody was still sleepy, hungry and seemingly 'pissy'. Your dusty surroundings doesn't seem to help either. Everybody seems to be coughing from the cluttered surroundings and the two carcasses that lay in the corner. You seem to be nowhere near the answer... and you worry that you could be next.

It just seems quieter than before. Nobody has passed the small windows of the store for ages... except the rays of the six o' clock sun that peek briefly to wake you and your companions up to mark the start of a new day.

Except for one person.

Messiah
(
Townie
) lay next to Purple Princess... immobile, mouth and eyes wide open out of fear and disgust. Seems he was the victim last night.

Messiah
was
killed
Night Two

You cannot afford to make another mistake.

Tenchi
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #443 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:23 pm

Post by Tenchi »

With 5 alive it takes 3 to lynch.

DEADLINE: October 25, 2009. 9:00 PM PST

RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #444 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm

Post by RayFrost »

FoS: NAW
cuz he is suspicious and was and continue to be, even though PP was more so.

also...

it's D3... yet I can only remember there being 4 players... >.>
julienvonwolfe
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #445 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:15 pm

Post by julienvonwolfe »

Hmm. Ray, you didn't vote for anybody in the end, yesterday. Why not? Did you simply not wish to hammer?
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #446 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:30 pm

Post by RayFrost »

julienvonwolfe wrote:Hmm. Ray, you didn't vote for anybody in the end, yesterday. Why not? Did you simply not wish to hammer?
Forgot that I had unvoted, and, even if I had remembered, I was still trying to figure out orph before the end of the day.
julienvonwolfe
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #447 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:36 pm

Post by julienvonwolfe »

What is your opinion on Orph now?

Oh, and I've been neglecting my IC duty. This is lylo, though not endgame. This means that unless you're cop with a guilty on somebody, you must be extremely careful with your vote. Otherwise, scum may quicklynch.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #448 (ISO) » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:39 pm

Post by RayFrost »

julienvonwolfe wrote:What is your opinion on Orph now?

Oh, and I've been neglecting my IC duty. This is lylo, though not endgame. This means that unless you're cop with a guilty on somebody, you must be extremely careful with your vote. Otherwise, scum may quicklynch.
not quite as suspect for me as before... most of my suspicion was based off of defending PP (who I thought was scum), which, based off my thoughts, was defending a scum buddy... the flip really changes that.

Now I'm more suspicious of NAW, since my list was, at the end of the day & pre-flip...

1. PP

2. orph & NAW

now it's adjusted so NAW is at the top, though it's best for me not to say my town/scum reads elsewhere...
Wysp
Wysp
Goon
Wysp
Goon
Goon

Post Post #449 (ISO) » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:43 am

Post by Wysp »

FOS NAW

Just looks scummy to me. People have already stated the case, I don't see a reason to reiterate it yet again.
Men are like colonies of bacteria. The more heat you apply, the faster they grow.

We can't see the demons that lurk in the dark...That's why humans are weak.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”