Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by Amished »

lol, I was attacking everyone... If somebody comes in and acts pro-town either they're a good actor or they're actually pro-town. I know it's hard when you're right in the thick of things, but sometimes it helps if I just don't post for a day, forget I'm in the role I am and try to see things from their perspective.

Course, I thought you weren't pro-town either, so I can't really talk...
I'm going on a crusade to put more thought into my posts.

No, my name is not "Ed."
Far_Cry
Far_Cry
Goon
Far_Cry
Goon
Goon

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:01 pm

Post by Far_Cry »

Amished wrote:lol, I was attacking everyone... If somebody comes in and acts pro-town either they're a good actor or they're actually pro-town. I know it's hard when you're right in the thick of things, but sometimes it helps if I just don't post for a day, forget I'm in the role I am and try to see things from their perspective.

Course, I thought you weren't pro-town either, so I can't really talk...
Interesting playstyle. However, why do you think everyone is scum?
View my new PC gaming blog at: http://poorpcgamer.blogspot.com
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:49 pm

Post by Amished »

I was just pinging everyone for reactions. What I got from dram pegged him as pretty sure town imo, Kise looked really pro-town as well when I had an interaction with him. 2 "confirmed" town makes it really easy on me as town as 2/3rds of the last ones I don't have a read on are scum. I can make 1 mislynch outta them. It was mostly in a game like this (nightless) that a playstyle like that pays off.

It's dangerous for a scum to try to fake as it's easy to let your partner off easier than you do to anybody else (and like it has been said, bussing is basically ineffective to a large extent as you can't let them get lynched). Also, it moves the game along which scum don't want (look at how happy they were when Sponge was "here" and they could get an easy mislynch) and it allows everybody to get a good read on the other players which hurts them as well.

Like VP said, I came in with a spark of activity, and that allowed other people besides me to get a proper read on the players and lynch correctly for a good game for the town. Basically I was just wrong about Siro, while if he would've been mislynched, I would've had both you and le Chat as scum, which is obviously the correct pairing.

Look back, Kise was active, so I could have a good back and forth without him taking that much time to respond so his reactions were also more likely to be genuine, because it's really hard to keep things straight when you're trying to not be scummy and keep a lie going. Then Dram was around and I went to him for reactions. You'll notice that I asked them questions about why they thought what they did. If that matched up with why I would think something, that made them more pro-town as I have the same role and therefore the outlook would be very similar. However, when I couldn't understand why a replacement player wouldn't change the mind of a person, I couldn't really understand that as every post almost makes me alter my view on a player a little bit, and they are the same role.

Especially as Dram/Kise I think both had me as acting a lot more pro-town; as well as le Chat. From there, I figured it was more likely for them to make a natural transition to see me as pro-town by my actions by being pro-town themselves, so I narrowed it down that way as well. Oftentimes I go too fast for myself, and after either the person I'm questioning or myself goes to bed, I'll reread both their and my responses to get a feel rather than just hammering away like I generally do.

However, it's kinda my playstyle to try to lead the game, regardless of alignment. I have a newbie game as an alt as scum that's finished that I took over questioning people, then lead my scum to victory by quicklynching, getting lynched because of it and then having my partner be cleared by bussing me. A game I just died in I was one of the more vocal players as scum, and the only reason I died was because of a cop.

No, my name is not "Ed."
Sironigous
Sironigous
Goon
Sironigous
Goon
Goon

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:51 pm

Post by Sironigous »

Maybe I'm just more neurotic/paranoid..

"OMG he looks town.. he must be scum!"
Trinka Trinka!
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:55 pm

Post by Amished »

lol, always going for the complicated answer, aren't you?

No, my name is not "Ed."
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:03 pm

Post by VP Baltar »

Yeah, Sir, one thing I have learned in this game is to trust your instincts. Sometimes you are going to be wrong, but more often than not you are right.

Amished's approach to the game seems similar to mine. If you see anything reasonably scummy, pursue it and see what it turns up. You then have to take those reactions and determine if they are more likely to have a scum or a town motivation. Again, it's not foolproof, but I think it works quite often. In a setup like this, I think it's a pretty deadly mode of attack that makes it very difficult for scum to win.
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:22 pm

Post by Amished »

Yeah, nightless where you don't have to worry about being NK'd to stop pursuing everything you can just keep going. Sure the deadlines will mess you up, but if they're constantly delaying responding to you (like FC at times) it's clearly not a pro-town motivation.

No, my name is not "Ed."
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:09 pm

Post by Amished »

EBWOP: I'm still really new here (around 10 games under my belt, a lot of them NK'd N1) so I'm trying to flesh out a style that works for me. So far this seems to be working. We'll see how I do coming up. You just kinda have to tailor it to how you want to look at the game, or how you look at other people. I like seeing them when they're under pressure, others like watching interactions and comparing, others nitpick everything to death (nod to Zazie), others are just unreadable and try to get people out of a comfort zone (zwet, BM). Just up to you to find something that works, and it will take a while.

No, my name is not "Ed."
Sironigous
Sironigous
Goon
Sironigous
Goon
Goon

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:02 pm

Post by Sironigous »

Hey cool Zwet reference.

Ah I'mma keep trying. Do you think it's beneficial to count wins/losses?

How exactly do you mark progress? Ha.
Trinka Trinka!
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:07 pm

Post by Amished »

Wins and losses really do depend on the quality of your team and the team you're going against. I count wins and losses separately by faction. If I'm town, I count it as a win if the team wins, or I find scum. Either I didn't do poorly enough to make us lose or I helped, either way, it's good for me. As scum, however, it's how effectively I am at being unsuspicious. As scum, I've been bussed by a partner fake-claiming cop, by doing something so scummy that I deserved to be lynched for it (got us to Lylo with my partner being unsuspected and we won) and by a real cop. I've also gotten a lynch on a townie in Lylo to win it for us with atrocious partner play. I take all of those as wins, as the town wasn't really suspicious of me for something I didn't mean to do or by some other role outing me randomly. So so far, while I've lost as scum, I haven't lost yet as scum.

No, my name is not "Ed."
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:19 am

Post by VP Baltar »

Siro wrote:How exactly do you mark progress? Ha.
Wiki pages are an excellent resource. They take a bit of maintainence, but if you stay up with them it isn't so much work. I think it's a good thing to have your games documented and give yourself a little commentary afterward so you can learn from your experiences. In that sense, keeping track of your wins and losses is a good thing.

However, as Amished said, winning often comes down to the composition of your team (and the setup). I've lost games where I felt I should have won simply because of the setup. I've lost games because myself or my partners made some seriously stupid moves. Losing is just a part of the game however, and I think if someone obsesses about trying to have a winning record, then they are probably missing out on some of the fun of the game.
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
Far_Cry
Far_Cry
Goon
Far_Cry
Goon
Goon

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:01 pm

Post by Far_Cry »

VP Baltar wrote:
Siro wrote:How exactly do you mark progress? Ha.
Wiki pages are an excellent resource. They take a bit of maintainence, but if you stay up with them it isn't so much work. I think it's a good thing to have your games documented and give yourself a little commentary afterward so you can learn from your experiences. In that sense, keeping track of your wins and losses is a good thing.

However, as Amished said, winning often comes down to the composition of your team (and the setup). I've lost games where I felt I should have won simply because of the setup. I've lost games because myself or my partners made some seriously stupid moves. Losing is just a part of the game however, and I think if someone obsesses about trying to have a winning record, then they are probably missing out on some of the fun of the game.
I have one crappy record, but that doesn't mean I call myself a bad player. You know sometimes, the reason you side lost in a game is not because of yourself. I don't really care about winning records either; people go nuts over them.
Amished wrote:EBWOP: I'm still really new here (around 10 games under my belt, a lot of them NK'd N1) so I'm trying to flesh out a style that works for me. So far this seems to be working. We'll see how I do coming up. You just kinda have to tailor it to how you want to look at the game, or how you look at other people. I like seeing them when they're under pressure, others like watching interactions and comparing, others nitpick everything to death (nod to Zazie), others are just unreadable and try to get people out of a comfort zone (zwet, BM). Just up to you to find something that works, and it will take a while.
My playing style really depends from game to game. My playing style if different dependent on what role I am, what the setup is, who's playing, and how many players.

I want to create a general play style to follow; in some of my previous games, I played really badly becuase I had no idea what I was doing, and had no plan. I think its good to choose a play style, as it will significantly increase your performance in mafia.
View my new PC gaming blog at: http://poorpcgamer.blogspot.com
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #212 (ISO) » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:03 pm

Post by Amished »

Exactly, I tend to do better when I'm interacting with the players, which I had a hard time with earlier on in my mafia career. Just something everybody needs to get comfortable with.

No, my name is not "Ed."
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #213 (ISO) » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:57 am

Post by MeMe »

last post
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”