Unvoting

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Someone
Someone
Well, we gotta remove Someone
Someone

Post Post #17 (isolation #0) » Fri May 20, 2005 6:47 am

Post by Someone »

PeaceBringer wrote:Saying Unvte, Vote X or Unvote X, Vote Y isn't natural for most people. Heck even most procedural methods of voting in legislatures don't involve unvoting prior to voting.
This is where I have a problem with your logic. What is natural for most people, is how they learned to do it. If us, at mafiascum, have always done it, it is natural for us. I have always (that I can remember) tried to put a name with every unvote because I find that it helps me to follow in the games that I'm in. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to learn to unvote, peacebringer, and it would save you a lot of headaches if you did.

For me, it's not a question of making the mod's job easier, but just courtesy to all the other people in the game, to facilitate the reading and understanding of the game. I don't mind people who don't bother to look for who they're voting for, but most of the time you
should
remember, and if you do, you could just spend a few extra seconds typing it.

I do not advocate forcing people to unvote as a mod in the way that we are going about it now, because I believe it unnecessarily confuses the game. I believe that if each and every player knew that unvoting was customary here at mafiascum, then the majority of them would spend that extra few seconds to tell the other players who they are unvoting. A friendy reminder from the mod (and perhaps the players?) would be more than enough to inspire a correct unvote.

To us at mafiascum, unvoting before revoting is just like using correct spelling, not typing in all caps, and using punctuation: we cannot demand it in the games, but doing it properly makes the game easier to play.
Someone
Someone
Someone

Post Post #18 (isolation #1) » Fri May 20, 2005 6:54 am

Post by Someone »

Oops, forgot I had more to say.

All of what I wrote above applies to unvoting with a name, and not just unvote, vote.

Ex:
Unvote:MeMe, Vote:Peacebringer

As for unvoting without a name: it is to a certain extent, redundant; however, it is useful for when if you're trying to gain the habit of always unvoting, but you forget who you're voting for and you're too lazy to check.
This is just here so my posts don't look so ugly when I edit them.
Someone
Someone
Someone

Post Post #20 (isolation #2) » Fri May 20, 2005 7:11 am

Post by Someone »

I agree partially.

The fact that I have to learn it means that I had to learn it. It's just like learning to bold your votes...it's not natural...but you do it anyways.

Unvoting should make the game easier. Unless you have a razor-sharp memory, you do not know who the person is voting for previously. However, you usually remember who you are voting for. Hence, the
unvote
, to remind people who you are voting for.

Furthermore, even if unvoting doesn't help you at all, it does help the majority of the people on this site, so doing it will still make the game easier for them.

I do agree that improper vote counts suck, and I too motion that some other, less interfereing, way of enforcing this rule appears. However, I do not agree that unvoting is redundant, and do not see how you can have this view.

(PS- "Someone" with a capital "S":wink: )
Someone
Someone
Someone

Post Post #26 (isolation #3) » Fri May 20, 2005 7:54 am

Post by Someone »

Drinks? Count me in!

(On another note...Phoebus...now where's my cookie? :wink:)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”