Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #725 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:40 am

Post by Xylthixlm »

elvis_knits wrote:So what did you think serial meant, xyl?
I think serial was trying to imply that rofl
didn't
have a reason to be sure Yos2 is town, and was therefore being a hypocrite.

But anyways, "some knowledge that I don't have" includes meta knowledge. I don't know why you'd read it as meaning role information. If that's what he meant why wouldn't he have written "information" rather than "knowledge"?
#mafia@irc.globalgamers.net

"Xyl was completely berserk" -dramonic
"Xyl's ruthless policy lynching won the game." -Vi
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #726 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:08 am

Post by mith »

Vote Count:
8 to lynch.

SerialClergyman: 5 (elvis_knits, roflcopter, Xylthixlm, Yosarian2, zu_Faul)
ekiM: 4 (Kmd4390, Ojanen, populartajo, VP Baltar)
charter: 1 (PookyTheMagicalBear)
Kmd4390: 1 (ekiM)
Yosarian2: 1 (SerialClergyman)
zu_Faul: 1 (iamausername)

Not Voting: 2 (charter, Thesp)
Ojanen
Ojanen
Mafia Scum
Ojanen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #727 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:50 pm

Post by Ojanen »

I read the Serial/Yos thing.

- I agree with, eek, ekiM.
ekiM wrote:I can see why BAB felt Yos was being unfair, but I don't think Yos was being dishonest. His view was that BAB primarily or only voted for reason X. It was also his view that BAB was acting like trapped scum. He said what his views were.
From what I've understood about the thought processes, the thing is
approximately

-Yos thinks BaB changed his reasons after voting for him and him attacking that reason. Yos thought that was a desperate move to make and BaB was borderline lying when he cried out disputing the reasons Yos was expressing for his vote were.
-Serial doesn't feel it's so significant that all the reasons are voiced at the same time as the vote is given (after all the BaB posts were very close in time to each other). He thinks Yos evaded addressing BaB's reasons expressed a couple of posts later. Serial thought Yos answered with bad-gut-feelin-inducing overboard aggression and confidence without really commenting.

Yos' 467 reads as pretty unpleasant to me, but that's mafia and I don't see a tangible scummy thing.

More than anything, I'm just seeing a lot of testosterone and not so much listening from either side. Readwise not sure.

-I think the first rolefishing accusation is rubbish though.
rofl in the same post he talked about the chainsawing wrote:i was happy with how i read yesterday, and
unless you know something i don't
i still don't think all my theories were wrong. for instance, kmd-zufaul being scum together. and now i'm willing to bet on you for a third partner.
serial making the point about chainsawing answering to rofl wrote:
Unless you've got some knowledge about Yos2 that I don't have
, looks like you're doing exactly the same thing.
It felt like a matching response and it was actually making a distinct point about hypocracy that fits the context

So I'm not so hot at all on the FoS Yos gave to Serial's sentence.

Second rolefishing accusation basically just felt like colorful language asking more reasons to me. I can understand gut twinges but don't really see it myself either.

SC, were you more or less caught up during the latter stages of day 1?
Serial wrote: I am actually quite touched that Ojanen said she enjoyed playing with me
Awww. It was sincere.

(Btw
I wrote:I agree Serial needs to get his ass here.
We, being far less couth than some other English-derivative speakers, would insert an 'r' into that word. But all of that is just a well-worded and pithy way of saying SerialClergyman's arse is officially here.
It bothered me when my ESL mind couldn't decipher what this meant. Was I talking about a donkey or what?)
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #728 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:46 pm

Post by Kmd4390 »

Vi wrote:
Unvote: Battle Mage
Vote: SpyreX
(L-3)
Hmm. This is a bit of a... swing vote? If BM is scum, here's a connection. If Spy is scum, Vi is very likely town.
populartajo wrote: Kmd4390 - gut, meta arguments (i dont remember kmdtown being ironic), elvisvote early is terrible, elvisunvote is odd. backs up his yos hate with yos meta that I still dont get.
ironic how?
populartajo wrote: So, is that the game you are using to metasuspect Yos?
I guess. Just, on Day 1, he seemed more like a back seat player than normal. That's not really true for Day 2 so far though, so I don't know. I think we are more likely to hit scum in ekiM than Yos.
Xylthixlm wrote:
mith wrote:
Final Vote Count:
11 to lynch.

BridgesAndBaloons
: 11 (charter, ekiM, elvis_knits, iamausername,
inHimshallibe
, populartajo, roflcopter, SerialClergyman, Thesp, VP Baltar, Yosarian2)
ekiM: 3 (
BridgesAndBaloons
Claus
, Xylthixlm)
elvis_knits: 2 (Kmd4390, zu_Faul)
Claus
: 1 (alexhans)
Thesp: 1 (
Herodotus
)

Not Voting: 2 (Ojanen,
Shabba
)
IGMEO Thesp.
If this VC was in order of votes, I'd be able to find some scum from it...
PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:is anyone around right now?
1)Why do people need to be around? Lay out some opinions.
2)People were posting. Why not follow this up with something.

Scummiest to towniest list

DIESCUMDIE:
EkiM

bet there are some scum in:
PookyTheMagicalBear
Yosarian2
zu_Faul
charter

I can't make up my mind on:
Xylthixlm
iamausername
elvis_knits

Town I think:
VP Baltar
populartajo
roflcopter

Obvtown:
SerialClergyman
Ojanen
Thesp
Kmd4390
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #729 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:03 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

SerialClergyman wrote: ...
IT'S RIGHT THERE YOU LIAR I SAID HE VOTED ME FOR PRESSURE AND THERE'S THE VOTE etc etc in your standard 'caps lock makes me right' voice.
SC, the point is, I was not trying to defend myself against B&B or respond to his accusations; I had already done that. I was making a short, TL;DR summery post of why I thought he was scummy. And a big part of that was his initial vote, which pretty clearly was made for the reason I said, and how he responded when I pointed that out.

Let me put it this way. Say someone voted for you and gave some completly incorrect reason for it, like "SC is scum because he did X, Vote: SC". Then you say "Uh, I never did X". And rather then admit his mistake, he just rants and raves and says "SC IS SCUM BECAUSE OF Y!!!". Wouldn't you find that scummy?

That was what I was describing. You keep trying to make it sound like I was "ignoring how other reasons", but that's pretty clearly not what I was talking about there.
I think you argument about finding scum vs wanting Yos2 lynched would be a good one if I was hopping on the flavour of the day bandwagon, but I think I'm the only one who's voting Yos atm.. Seems like a poor pick of person to rail against for an easy lynch.
When you first attacked me, several prominent players had recently discibed me as scummy and had attacked me. Ojanen, Xyl, and KMD had all recently expressed suspicion of me. At the time you first attacked me, I probably did look like I was lynchable.

Or they could realise that the first statement to rofl was and is absolutely true, his argument is hypocritical unless he has some reason to think Yos2 is town beyond gut,
Basically, this is my problem with your statement.

When you make a post like that, saying that someone is scummy unless they have "Information" you don't, the person is going to be very tempted to either say "Well, I don't have information you don't" or else to give some kind of response that could give away that they do have information you don't. Either way, it gives the scum information about if rofl is a power role or not, and that's bad.

That kind of sentence might look harmless, but it's actually a pretty effective way for a scum to try to feel out a person's role; both for the obvious reason of scum trying to figure out who they should kil and for the lesser reason that if you're a scum, you'd probably rather not end up stuck in a fight with someone that someone else has information on that confirms them as town.
Yos2 has finally entered puberty, testosterone started flowing though his body and he built up the courage to vote me after the wagon had grown to a sizable number.
Heh. Trying to undercut my attack on you by insulting me now?

I often question someone for a while before I vote for them; I find that sometimes you get more useful answers if you haven't voted someone yet but make clear that you're willing to do so soon if you don't like the answers. That's exactly what I did day 1, for example; I just think it's good protown play.
Unfortunately he decided to concentrate on my summary of his position as something which finally pushed him over the edge, which again points back to OMGUS. It's also probably the least important of all the charges made against me, which is baffling.
Not at all. You basically listed a bunch of vague but generally pro-town stuff like aggression and posting a lot and being argumentative, and then tried to use that as an excuse to attack me.
Interestingly, he misread my point saying he was looking for 'semi-tells and rhetoric' to read 'scumtells and rhetoric' and got his underpants in a twist about it.
(shrug) I guess I did misread you.

That's still a weak defense, though. You're now saying that I'm scummy because I'm attacking you for "semi-tells"? As in, you're admitting the tells I'm using are at least somewhat valid, and yet it's scummy for me to be using them?
I think this is a perfect example of what I was talking about. Rather than re-read what I wrote and try to work out why I was attacking him for looking for scumtells (and thus realise his mistake) he's already on the wagon for it.
Well, the rest of your post didn't make any sense either.

And this is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Rather then reply to the substance of my post, rather then explain why you think my aggression or my frequent posting is somehow scummy, you just focus on a minor misreading error on my part and use that as an excuse to completely ignore my point.
But, it could be worse. I could be accusing you of lying and misquoting me and twisting my words, and by language I'd be 100% correct. But it's the argument that's important, and while I think lots of what you write is scummy, that was just a simple misread.
Oh, right, it's a good thing you're not going to stoop to accusing me of lying or misquoting in cases where that's clearly not true.

Oh, wait...
SerialClergyman wrote: c) BAB caught you out in a pretty big fib in his post at 453.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Ojanen
Ojanen
Mafia Scum
Ojanen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #730 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:18 pm

Post by Ojanen »

Wow, I actually really don't like VP Baltar from iso perspective.

All he ever said directly about BaB (bar a random vote):
iso 4 wrote: @BnB--do you feel a majority of the votes on you are merely for bandwagoning purposes and/or are the result of lazy play?
VP iso 5 wrote:
BaB wrote: I just want to reiterate the fact that you're voting me for something that's not "necessarily scummy, but it's questionable."
I'm not sure what your problem with this is. Seems to me like he is saying it has the potential to be a scummy action.
... ...
Bridges is a reasonable enough wagon for D1, though I would hope we can put the brakes on a little bit until some of the more background players (ekiM, iamausername, SerialClergyman, etc) weigh in and answer some questions.
That being said, Bridges needs to claim in his next post before someone comes in with judo-quickhammer action.
VP iso 8 wrote:I think BnB is a decent lynch, which also has the potential to provide some information.
VP Baltar wrote:
BridgesAndBaloons wrote:
Xylthixlm wrote:the WIFOM, it burns me
I wouldn't use WIFOM if I was scum.
This is by far the most hilarious thing I've read all week.
Then in vote post:
VP iso 15 wrote: I agree with inHim in post 399 about BaB's "can't post now" feeling mega-forced.
... ...
rofl wrote:bridges: STOP RIGHT THERE! XYL COULD STILL BE SCUM WITH ME!
everyone in their right mind: now why would you say that if you were anything but scum with not xyl?
lol. I agree.
... ...
While ekiM continues to underwhelm me (his 'Do you think I was serious? x 50' post made me want to gouge my eyes out), in the interest of the town I am going to Unvote,
Vote:BridgesandBaloons
for continued scummy behavior and general flailing about without providing a single reason why his lynch is a bad thing. I think this day is starting to reach critical mass and become more and more useless. Someone hammer (maybe Herodotus wants to follow through with all this talk).
I see a very distinct lack of reasoning/conviction/pointing out the scummy behaviour, support for a claim and a L-1 vote.

-Despite finding ekiM questionable, I don't really like the harping about ekiM's "deeply concerned" post.
VP wrote:
ekiM wrote: Um, the "1 in 5 players in a 20 player game is probably scum" thing was a joke.
I'm a bit slow, explain what was funny about it.
His only question to ekiM.
VP 5 days later wrote: ekiM remains scummy to me until he comes back and provides some answers to the questions I put.
VP 1 day after that wrote:
BaB wrote:I'm confused why he isn't voting iamusername if he said that
I'm comfortable with my ekiM vote until he addresses the points made against him.
Prob referring to Claus case. Lack of own initiative.

I need to check more stuff later. I have a feeling he's supported suspicions to a lot of directions. Now gotta zzzzzz.
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #731 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:19 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

The Yos2/Serial argument has gone well past the point of diminishing returns. Why keep going?

Ojanen
Ojanen
Mafia Scum
Ojanen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #732 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Post by Ojanen »

Also, does pooky always play like this? Can't meta him with search down and his linkless wiki. He's given almost nothing yet.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #733 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:46 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Ojanen wrote:Also, does pooky always play like this? Can't meta him with search down and his linkless wiki. He's given almost nothing yet.
He does lurk a lot, yeah. He has a habit of lurking for long periods of time then appearing out of nowhere with some brilliant piece of analysis.

I would like to hear more from him soon, though; he hasn't said anything yet that would let me get any kind of read on him at all.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #734 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:58 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Xylthixlm wrote:The Yos2/Serial argument has gone well past the point of diminishing returns. Why keep going?
(shrug)

If he keeps saying things that are either wrong or scummy, I'm going to keep calling him on them. I like to engage in debate with someone I find suspicious, how they react in higher stress situations tends to be telling, and so does the way other people react.

Basically, he hasn't given me any reason to stop attacking him yet. If you have some reason that I should, I'd like to hear it.

Plus, you know:

VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #735 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:02 pm

Post by VP Baltar »

Oj wrote:I see a very distinct lack of reasoning/conviction/pointing out the scummy behaviour, support for a claim and a L-1 vote.
What's your point? I stated my reason for voting BaB in the very post you quoted. I would have preferred ekiM or iamausername at that point, but I didn't really see that happening due to lack of anyone paying attention to anything but BaB. As I basically said in the post you quoted, I didn't find it a bad lynch, just not my main preference.
Oj wrote:Prob referring to Claus case. Lack of own initiative.
I was referring to why I was not voting iamausername.
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #736 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:05 pm

Post by SerialClergyman »

Xyl wrote:I think serial was trying to imply that rofl didn't have a reason to be sure Yos2 is town, and was therefore being a hypocrite.

But anyways, "some knowledge that I don't have" includes meta knowledge. I don't know why you'd read it as meaning role information. If that's what he meant why wouldn't he have written "information" rather than "knowledge"?
Ojanen wrote:
rofl in the same post he talked about the chainsawing wrote:
i was happy with how i read yesterday, and unless you know something i don't i still don't think all my theories were wrong. for instance, kmd-zufaul being scum together. and now i'm willing to bet on you for a third partner.
Unless you've got some knowledge about Yos2 that I don't have, looks like you're doing exactly the same thing.

It felt like a matching response and it was actually making a distinct point about hypocracy that fits the context
Thank you both for framing the point so succinctly.

Having slept on it, I'm more calm about the accusation because I can at least see where rofl is coming from (when I first heard it I thought both posts were so far away from rolefishing it was bound to be a disengenuous attack). I was going to ask rofl how he thought I could have made my point without the 'rolefishing' bit, but given he used the same rhetorical device as Ojanen points out, I think he should be aware that if you're honestly assessing an argument occasionally you make comments like that with absolutely no intent for any role information, just because it's a true description of the argument.

Anyway, enough about rolefishing.

I'm going to take Ojanen and others summary on board and just deal with the fact that others didn't find the Yos2/BAB thing as scummy as I did. I've also metad him and he was absolutely telling the truth about finding lurking a scumtell and his bunrushing pugilistic style echoes across the forum, so without the BAB/Yos2 thing I am left with a pretty meagre case.

So I will back off and post some thoughts. Firstly - I've played with Ojanentown and been heavily involved in a game where she was scum (my good mate was playing and I was watching from the sidelines.) She looks more engaged in the arguments and is posting more analysis than when she was scum, so my meta read is town at the moment, but I'd warn everyone she is really, really good as scum. Tied kaiyruu so heavily to her scumpartner partner with a beautiful selection of quotes he was speechless, and if you've played with kai - that's something.

Kmd puts me on his obvtown list for reasons absolutely unknown. Don't get me wrong, I'm not scum and I know it, but I have no idea how HE knows it when, as other people I think are town have pointed out, I haven't exactly been a huge protown influence on the game. It worries me that I'm there solely because I'm an outspoken townkmd reader.

iamusername seems to have sunk back into the depths after being summoned at the same time as me. Come back and say stuff please.

Ojanen - I wouldn't say I was fully caught up during the end of yesterday. I skimmed through the latest pages but I missed pages and didn't have a good understanding of the nuances involved. I saw enough to make me happy with my vote, but it wasn't a sterling effort. I did re-read from start to finish before posting content on D2 however.

Your spelling of the word 'ass' is perfect for the American spelling and pronunciation. In Australia (and I think Britain and some other places) the worse is spelt 'arse' because it's pronounced ARE-SE as opposed to AAA-SS. I think something about the Australian version makes it much less acceptable to say in general conversation, more gutteral. So it wasn't your spelling I was having a go at, it was my own dirty Australian ways.
I'm old now.
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #737 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:11 pm

Post by Kmd4390 »

Serial, I can't elaborate on why, but I don't think your lurking was scummy and that was the case against you for a while. The way people have jumped on you worries me a bit. Pretty sure 1-2 scum are voting you right now.
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #738 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:21 pm

Post by SerialClergyman »

Yos2 - the more I re-read our discussions, the more I agree with the XKCD post (also one of my favourite XKCDs). I see both of us sitting in dark rooms glaring at a monitor getting angry that we're being misrepresented. Perhaps what we have here, in such immortal words, is a failure to communicate.

I think your first point in that wallpost above makes that clear - I can't see how my point was unreasonable via my example from Zu Faul's vote on me. You can't see how my point applies to you because your wording was a) true via the language you used and b) not supposed to be a big deal because it was a tl:dr.

So meh - as I said in the post above, what else is left? Well, you've still got lurking I suppose, although I hope that the rolefishing argument is dead and buried. Either way - I certainly have a lot less so will
unvote

And I certainly didn't mean to insult you, was just trying to make a post that said 'you took a while to come on my bandwagon' be a bit more colourful and interesting. I actually had a whole schtick about you sending a telegram at one point (Serial is scummy STOP he must be lying STOP) but I deleted it due to possible-insultingness and not-funnyness, instead turning my nefarious activities to my hilarious hat-out-of-a-rabbit joke).

I'm off to the beach, because I'm in Australia and it's a gorgeous 28 degrees in winter. Will come back refreshed and with new insight.
I'm old now.
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #739 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:42 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

Meh

unvote, vote PookyTheMagicalBear

Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #740 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:11 pm

Post by Kmd4390 »

Posting this in all my games. After I leave my house around 4:45 EST tomorrow morning, I won't be home to post until Tuesday. Whether I post before then or not depends on whether or not I get brief laptop access.
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #741 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:03 am

Post by elvis_knits »

Kmd4390 wrote: Obvtown:
SerialClergyman
What is your reasoning for this one?
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #742 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:11 am

Post by elvis_knits »

Kmd4390 wrote:Serial, I can't elaborate on why, but I don't think your lurking was scummy and that was the case against you for a while. The way people have jumped on you worries me a bit. Pretty sure 1-2 scum are voting you right now.
Bah, I see you answered that here. And by "answered that" I mean that you gave a response with no actual reason/answer.

I find this response very scummy because you discount the lurking (which is scummy) and then rain on the parade of people who are actually trying to do something in this game, and make vague accusations about 1-2 people on the wagon being scum.

What about the way people have "jumped" on serial worries you? If you think 1-2 scum are on the wagon, which 1-2?
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #743 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:44 am

Post by iamausername »

So, when I started writing this, there about 7 or 8 less pages, so it's possible there something hugely significant that I haven't mentioned in the earlier alphabeticals.

alexhans / Pooky

There's really not a lot to go on here. alex barely did anything, and Pooky is Pooky. The one thing I think is worth commenting on is alex's Post #136, in which he says "@E_K: Max mafia team is 6 people. You forgot to count who receives the pm."

This is wrong; if you look closely at the sample PMs, you'll note that the person who receives the PM is one of the five sets of Xs in his own PM. Given that I think someone who had received a scum PM would be less likely to make this mistake, I consider this to be a towntell for alex.

I know Pooky has a well established history of not saying a lot, but really, there's a difference between keeping things brief, and not saying anything at all. Answering the quesion of whether or not the charter vote is actually serious would be nice, at the very least.

charter

Before reading him in isolation, I was finding the number of people asserting him as obvtown odd, since my feeling was that charter was somewhat hiding on the sidelines. After reading him in isolation, I think that's probably just because he hasn't said anything yet today, because he drove the BaB wagon early on based on perfectly good arguments, and made completely reasonable posts against Shabba and zu_faul once BaB's wagon was rolling along well. Even though 2/3 of them have flipped town, I don't have a problem with his choice of targets, or with the way he pursued them. Looking forward to seeing his thoughts on things once he's caught up on D2.

ekiM

Let's go over this again. Less than 24 hours into the game, ekiM made this post:

"I am deeply concerned by the continued absence of inHimshallibe, Kmd4390, Ojanen, populartajo, and Shabba. I'd wager there's at least one scum amongst those five players."

and voted Xyl. If you can't figure out how being "deeply concerned" about lurkers at that point is a joke, then I despair for humanity. If you are saying "Hey, take any random group of five players and there's probably scum in it, so you are not really saying anything here, ekiM": congratulations! YOU HAVE FOUND THE REST OF THE JOKE! Why is he saying there is probably scum in these five players? Because they are lurking, less than 24 hours into the game. If that part isn't serious, then what on earth makes you think that "one of them is probably scum" is? And if you do think that part is serious, then see above re: despair, humanity, etc.

His catchup post on D1 was overly focused on how much of a scumbo BaB was, which is not good. The only other person he really takes a strong stance on in that post is zu_faul (that part isn't bad). Mostly liking his thoughts D2 though. The recent spat with elvis, I don't really know what his point was, but I'm not seeing what the scum motivation is either, so I don't know why he suddenly got a bunch of votes for that.

Mostly I don't think he is scum because there are many suspect people voting him for bad reasons, and have been throughout the game.

elvis

I think elvis has been spectacularly wrong about virtually everything in this game, but I also think she's among the most likely to be town here. Gut read, but I really like how she has avoided getting completely tunneled; even when she's aggressively pursuing a case on someone, there are always pointed questions to other people, and also things like Post #387 where she looks for verification of her thoughts from others.

KMD

I've been hung up too much on the slip thing, I think, and ignoring everything else he's done. People were attacking him based on that, I didn't buy it at all, this translated into my head as "KMD is town", but looking through his posts individually, I'm not so sure about that.

These days, it's all about the unvote off a vanilla claim, but what I'd really like to know is why the vote was there in the first place. His original reasoning was "Shea said I'm bad at mafia, so why did BaB listen to me?", which is ungodly levels of terrible, and when he votes, he says he's sticking with the scumteam he originally named, so does that mean he was sticking with the reasons, too? He never gave any others.

As far as the unvote goes, I do think it's perfectly possible to find someone scummy until they claim vanilla, and then start to find them town. From a theory point of view, it is terrible play to run someone up to a claim, then unvote when they claim vanilla, because all that will lead to is outed power roles, but sticking slavishly to what is theoretically the best play is often pretty terrible play too. I'm not sure I'd unvote off a vanilla claim on D1 even if it did give me the feeling that the player was town, but I certainly don't agree that it's something that only scum would ever do.

Ojanen

Really like her contributions throughout, especially her case against Yos. #1 town.

poptajo

Don't have any particular problems with the things he's posting, but it does concern me a little that he hasn't really got stuck into any arguments, he's mostly actually been sitting on the sidelines, like I thought charter was.

roflcopter

Oh, he's been agressive, that's how he plays town, he must be town. Uh, no. So right, some things that really bother me about rofl.

1. He's been claiming absolute certainty that KMD is scum since pretty much the start of the game, and yet both days, he's ended up voting for someone else on the assumption that they are KMD's partner. BaB yesterday, Serial today. This way, he doesn't have to bother coming up with new arguments, just keep on pushing the scum KMD line and lynching his 'buddies'.

2. This post, right here, where rofl claims that he has never gambitted, and is always as sure as he acts. It's a lie.

See this post in Mafia 84, where rofl explains a gambit he made by acting surer about something than he actually was.

See also this post from this very game. "It's never worked 100% perfectly, but i don't let that stop me from acting like it will every game." There's got to be some serious self-delusion going for that not to equate to 'acting surer than you actually are'.

3. In this post, rofl says that Claus has a solid case against Yos, but that Yos doesn't fit as a partner of BaB. So why, when BaB did NOT flip scum, has rofl gone ahead and started acting like he is confirmed town anyway? I think his post here was an attempt to placate Claus and push the BaB wagon through to mislynch, because he clearly had no intention of actually following up on this suspicion of Yos.

4. "Attacking Yos today is a scumtell". Hi there, crazy chainsaw defence. Pointing out flaws in Serial's case, that would be fine (and not difficult, by the way). Or even just saying "SC's Yos case is terrible" without bothering to explain why, that still works. But rofl never says anything about the actual case, he claims instead that the action of attacking Yos in itself is scummy, regardless of the validity of the attack.

Also, the list of games he gave me is incomplete. I know of one game that rofl has missed from the list here (Mafia 90). But a) I can't see any reason why he wouldn't want me looking at that game, and b) I can understand wanting to forget that horrible excuse for a game of Mafia, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he honestly overlooked that one. If there are any other omissions, though, I want to know about it.

SerialClergyman

So, I unvoted him based on his first substantial post, because I felt like his thoughts were fairly in line with my own; gut town read on KMD, scum read on Yos and zu_faul.

Since then, he started reaching more and more in his argument with Yos, and and it seems like he refused to back down or concede any points purely out of stubbornness. I think that's marginally more likely to come from scum than town, though I've seen enough tunneling townies to know that that's not a solid tell.

That said, I don't particularly like his latest attempt at peacemaking either, it feels like he's trying to perform a Jedi mind trick in acting like the fact that he has realised that he doesn't have a good case against Yos should make Yos think the same of him. That and the fact that he unvotes without voting anyone else. Cardinal sin, that.

Thesp

Talks a whole lot of sense. Really hoping he'll get back to us soon. I feel far less need for detail when talking about my town reads than my scum reads.

VP Baltar

Wow, some of his earlier posts have a whole lot of words for saying absolutely nothing. Very much a feeling of posting just to stay active, there's absolutely no strong stances taken on any subject at all.

Well, until he decides that I am such obvious scum that he will eat his hat if he's wrong. Which somehow isn't more worthy of a vote than ekiM saying that there is "probably scum" in the five people he was "deeply concerned" about lurking less than 24 hours into the game. I think that he didn't want to derail the BaB wagon by pushing anything with any strength, hence the vote staying on someone who wasn't around to respond and leaving the attack on me on the back burner to come back to it today.

Just going to respond directly to some stuff in the post where he finally gets around to voting me, since I haven't yet:
VP Baltar wrote:My point is that you were leading up to it in that post and then did not. You're saying that, more specifically, your intent to vote him
later
after his claim was clear. I'm saying no it was not. Your intent to vote him in that post seemed clear enough, then you didn't. There is a difference to me in those two points, even if they both speak to intent.
Then again I ask, why do you think I said I supported him claiming, if that had nothing to do with the fact that I obviously intended to vote him? You asked me why I didn't "condense it down and say something like 'I support the BnB wagon, but I think we need to hear a claim first'"; the answer is that you can't
condense
'I support a BaB claim' into that, but you pretty obviously can do the opposite.
VP Baltar wrote:
iamausername wrote:I mean, in retrospect, the rofl vote probably was pretty pointless, but certainly no more so than keeping my vote on alex would have been.
Not really.
Now I believe you're just reflexively disagreeing with everything I say. How on earth would leaving my vote on alex have served any purpose at that point?
VP Baltar wrote:I don't see how you [ekiM] are saying that it was an RVS comment considering you implied your bandwagoning Xyl vote in that same post to be serious.
(Not from that post, I know.) The problem is that you are terming it as "an RVS comment" instead of "a joke". THERE IS NOT A DISTINCT LINE DIVIDING THE 'RANDOM' PART OF THE GAME FROM THE 'SERIOUS' PART.

Xylthixlm

Xyl really strikes me as town, though I am hard pressed to pin down exactly why that is. His reaction to BaB feels natural, not buying the case at first, but then agreeing that there was no reason for townBaB to argue that Xyl could be his scumbuddy. I like the way he shows a lot of willingness to accept the possibility that he is wrong.

Yosarian2

I didn't have a problem with Yos's posts throughout D1, and I still don't. The big point of contention for me is the way he retroactively claims to have been suspicious of KMD from the start of the game. Post #525, after Ojanen points out how Yos's stance on the KMD/elvis thing at the time was that he didn't buy into either case, Yos brings up a quote where he does take more of a "KMD is scummy" stance. From reading this post, I'm sure you would assume that the quote comes from around the same time as the one Ojanen brings up, but it most definitely doesn't; this quote comes from Post #431. The important point about that is that it's after KMD unvotes BaB for the vanilla claim. That was when Yos decided to go after KMD, and the fact that he acts like he'd been suspicious all along, and tries to use this quote to prove it, just does not speak to a pro-town motivation in his attack.

He's now saying that he went back and reread the KMD/elvis exchange, and that was when he decided that KMD was scummy. Now, that's a story that fits the facts, and would have made perfect sense if it wasn't coming immediately after insisting that you'd been saying KMD was scummy all along. As it is, though, you appear to be admitting to a lie right there.

zu_faul

So, right from the start, we've got some scumminess here with the pretty blatant setting himself up to go along with whatever is convenient by claiming he is not dissatisfied with any of the major wagons. The rest of his contribution on D1 consists pretty much entirely of speaking out against the BaB wagon without making any attempt whatsoever to get any alternative going. He claims that his attempting to slow the BaB wagon is his usual scumhunting strategy, but if that is the case, what scum did it help him find?

There's also a few times where he says something without explaining it, and acts like he has already explained it in a previous post, despite this not actually being the case. Example; "I already said enough times why I disregard the "scum with Xyl" argument" in this post. Not true. He's said several times that he disagrees with the argument, but reading his posts, I don't have a clue
why
he disagrees with it.

Then D2, he's decided to go after Serial because "You had a chance to come back in the game and all you produce is some questions and an attack on Yos2." This falls into the same problem I had with rofl above; he's dismissing the attack on Yos2 out of hand without giving any thought to the validity of the action. Secondly, this is some amazing hypocrisy; what has zu produced up to this point? He makes much the same point on ekiM, too. Those are easy, easy targets. zu has been just completely coasting, I really can't see anywhere that he's put any serious effort into scumhunting at all.

Unvote, Vote: roflcopter

Other lynches I'd support right now; zu_faul, VP Baltar and Yosarian2. Feeling most sure about rofl, though.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #744 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:45 am

Post by iamausername »

Ojanen wrote:-I think the first rolefishing accusation is rubbish though.
rofl in the same post he talked about the chainsawing wrote:i was happy with how i read yesterday, and
unless you know something i don't
i still don't think all my theories were wrong. for instance, kmd-zufaul being scum together. and now i'm willing to bet on you for a third partner.
Unless you've got some knowledge about Yos2 that I don't have
, looks like you're doing exactly the same thing.
This is another prime example of Ojanen awesomeness.
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #745 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:33 am

Post by Thesp »

Catching up now, my apologies. The past 8 days have been rotten - perhaps the worst of the year.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
zu_Faul
zu_Faul
Mafia Scum
zu_Faul
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #746 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:40 am

Post by zu_Faul »

iamausername wrote:
zu_faul

So, right from the start, we've got some scumminess here with the pretty blatant setting himself up to go along with whatever is convenient by claiming he is not dissatisfied with any of the major wagons. The rest of his contribution on D1 consists pretty much entirely of speaking out against the BaB wagon without making any attempt whatsoever to get any alternative going. He claims that his attempting to slow the BaB wagon is his usual scumhunting strategy, but if that is the case, what scum did it help him find?
Yeah it is like I did not attack elvis_knits at all...

The slowing down did not really work as I wanted it to. But I got some reads.
There's also a few times where he says something without explaining it, and acts like he has already explained it in a previous post, despite this not actually being the case. Example; "I already said enough times why I disregard the "scum with Xyl" argument" in this post. Not true. He's said several times that he disagrees with the argument, but reading his posts, I don't have a clue
why
he disagrees with it.
It seems I got confused about what I actually said in thread and what was only in my head. If you had asked directly, I would hav told you.
Then D2, he's decided to go after Serial because "You had a chance to come back in the game and all you produce is some questions and an attack on Yos2." This falls into the same problem I had with rofl above; he's dismissing the attack on Yos2 out of hand without giving any thought to the validity of the action. Secondly, this is some amazing hypocrisy; what has zu produced up to this point? He makes much the same point on ekiM, too. Those are easy, easy targets. zu has been just completely coasting, I really can't see anywhere that he's put any serious effort into scumhunting at all.
Yes, my vote on e_k was just coasting along the obvious bandwagon >.>
I already showed that I think that SerialClergyman is lying a lot in his accusations against Yos2.
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #747 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:08 am

Post by Xylthixlm »

iaun, nice posting.
iamausername wrote:Other lynches I'd support right now; zu_faul, VP Baltar and Yosarian2. Feeling most sure about rofl, though.
I could get behind a VP Baltar lynch. I'd definitely rather not lynch zu_faul or roflcopter. Still undecided on Yosarian2.

Ojanen
Ojanen
Mafia Scum
Ojanen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #748 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:25 am

Post by Ojanen »

This will probably look pretty nonsensical but I was thinking about this game today and felt somewhat meh in a different way to my usual insecurity. I think I need to
unvote
for a sec.
Post coming in a while.
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #749 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:28 am

Post by Thesp »

VP Baltar wrote:
Thesp wrote:I disagree with this.
Based on what? It's especially true of the BaB wagon yesterday given the number of people not voting, but saying they would be willing to support.
I've seen too many times when people have been pushed close to lynch, but haven't because a majority of people had not expressed a desire for such a person to claim (in their opinion). I think supporting a claim in such an instance is a good thing, especially since it helps preclude this stalling defense.
PookyTheMagicalBear, re:Kmd3490 wrote:solid logic there
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not (I think it is), can you enlighten me?
Xylthixlm wrote:
Yosarian2 wrote:Bandwagoning someone to a claim, and then trying to drop the wagon and bandwagon someone else once they claim vanilla, is a scum tell, especally on day 1. Those kind of tactics, repeated bandwagon-to-a-claim stuff, are just the easiest way for a scum to flush out town power roles.
Sort-of agree, sort-of disagree. Unvoting because the claim was vanilla is bad, definitely, but there may be other reasons. Do you think that Kmd dropped BaB just because he was vanilla, or do you think there were other reasons?
I'm liking Xylthixlm more as town.
SerialClergyman wrote:Plus I've never been one for the first day(s) anyway.
I don't like this. At all.

Note to self - review IAAUN/SC on a later day.

VP Baltar needs to die.

I've seen the term "chainsawing" thrown around a bit, and I thought I had a sense of what it meant, but my thoughts weren't consistent with what seems to be expressed by it. Can someone who is familiar with the term as it's being used explain what is meant by "chainsawing"? Thanks.
Yosarian2 wrote:
5) I particularly like this from rofl:
rofl wrote:serial is chainsawing for kmd hard, and at this point attacking yos is a scumtell.
Unless you've got some knowledge about Yos2 that I don't have, looks like you're doing exactly the same thing.
So, what, you're rolefishing now? FOS: SerialClergyman
This feels like quite a reach.
Ekim wrote:
Elvis wrote:ekiM -- Who do you think is scum? I have no idea who you are suspicious of.
Patience.
It's running out.
Ekim wrote:Sigh. A scum tell is an action that a scum player is more likely to take than a town player in the same situation.

You asked me if [trying to undermine a line of thought that only damages you if you are scum] is a scumtell. A scum player is much more motivated to do so than a town player, so it is a scum tell.
You haven't demonstrated this at all. (I also disagree with your conclusion.)
Ekim wrote:I wonder why nobody is bothered that they don't know what PookyTheMagicalBear's suspicions are?
Are you bothered by it?
elvis_knits wrote:
ekiM wrote:I wonder why nobody is bothered that they don't know what PookyTheMagicalBear's suspicions are?
I wonder why you accused people of not accusing Pooky rather than just accusing pooky yourself.
This. :)
elvis_knits wrote:Thesp seems to be suspicious of VP, Serial, ekim. He thinks both me and kmd are town.
This is fairly accurate (though not in that order), though I'm increasingly uncomfortable about Yosarian2. His approval of the SerialClergy wagon makes me uncomfortable about that wagon. I also don't like alexhans/PookyTheMagicalBear, but I'm torn by my natural love for Pooky and personal distatste with lynching people immediately upon entry into the game.

As an aside, I may stab the next person who uses the phrase OMGUS. In the gall bladder. With a highlighter. (It's the closest thing to me right now.)
Ojanen wrote:I want to hear more from tajo.
His BaB hammer left me debating whether it was sincere. Dunno why. Otherwise his points have been mostly tajo-style catch ups or reasonable but smallish points, which sets my alarms slightly. The scumlist he's asking from Mike would be nice from him too, very preferably with reasoning.
I agree with you (and feel similarly about VP Baltar's vote on B&B).
roflcopter wrote:charter, thesp - why aren't you voting anyone right now?
Fixing this now.
Xylthixlm wrote:Taking quote in context...
SerialClergyman wrote:5) I particularly like this from rofl:
rofl wrote:serial is chainsawing for kmd hard, and at this point attacking yos is a scumtell.
For the record, I did not interpret that as asking about investigation when I read it.
Agreed.
Xylthixlm wrote:The Yos2/Serial argument has gone well past the point of diminishing returns. Why keep going?
I'm truly saddened that I haven't gotten to play more (or any!) games of mafia with you before now.

Vote: Ekim.
I'd be equally happy voting VP Baltar or Yosarian2, and I like votes on PookyTheMagicalBear as well.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”