Newbie 827 - Store Katana (Scum Win!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Wysp
Wysp
Goon
Wysp
Goon
Goon

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:34 am

Post by Wysp »

*yawn*
I'm here, I'm here. :P

I've been watching this go on...honestly I'm not too concerned how it ends, one way or another. I have no clues to who is Mafia, haha. @_@

...I'm probably gonna get lynched, aren't I?

VOTE COUNT

(3) Wysp - julienvonwolfe, Messiah, n107yuh

(2) NewAgeWarrior - purple princess, Excedrin
(1) n107yuh - XScorpion
(1) Messiah - Wysp

Not Voting: NewAgeWarrior, oramiuri

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch
DEADLINE: September 7, 2009 12:01 PM PST
Men are like colonies of bacteria. The more heat you apply, the faster they grow.

We can't see the demons that lurk in the dark...That's why humans are weak.
XScorpion
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:42 am

Post by XScorpion »

Only if n107 can come up with a real good excuse as to why he's lurking and making 1 sentence posts.
Messiah
Messiah
Goon
Messiah
Goon
Goon

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:05 am

Post by Messiah »

Okay, I'm back from my V/LA.

I don't like how Wysp has been lurking over the last few days and that makes him an even better lynch than he was in my eyes. That said, I think n107yuh's next post has the potential to change my vote.
It's times like this..
Wysp
Wysp
Goon
Wysp
Goon
Goon

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:38 am

Post by Wysp »

Haha, I can explain that too. :P

I'm lurking because I'm expecting to get lynched and I don't see a point in sitting around here spectating, and also I'm preparing to orchestrate a war on an RPG forum that I participate in. In addition, I'm getting ready for college.

It's time-consuming.
Men are like colonies of bacteria. The more heat you apply, the faster they grow.

XScorpion
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:03 am

Post by XScorpion »

It's a better excuse than I've heard from n107.
purple princess
purple princess
Goon
purple princess
Goon
Goon

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:25 am

Post by purple princess »

Wysp wrote:I'm lurking because I'm expecting to get lynched and I don't see a point in sitting around here spectating,
That sounds really defeatest, we have ages untill the deadline, don't think that just because you have the most votes now that you are most likely to be lynched. This game is still fairly new, and a lot of things can happen between now and d1 deadline, the more information we can gain from players the better chance we have of finding scum.

@ n107yuh, what is you expeience of playing mafia games? also why did you vote for wysp? I understand this may be your first game but you haven't posted much which is making people think that you are lurking, also your only post was to vote for wysp but you didn't give any explanation for your vote. At this moment you look scummy and if you would like to stay alive in this game I think maybe you should post a little more than you have already.
julienvonwolfe
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:51 am

Post by julienvonwolfe »

purple princess wrote:
Wysp wrote:I'm lurking because I'm expecting to get lynched and I don't see a point in sitting around here spectating,
That sounds really defeatest...
Indeed.

Wysp, if you don't have time to play, you can replace out. Otherwise, I would invite you to start being useful to the town.
Wysp
Wysp
Goon
Wysp
Goon
Goon

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:39 pm

Post by Wysp »

Well, I'd like to finish this game at least...XP I'll try to look up.

I'm not sure where to go from here, though. Suggestions?

XScorpion
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:19 pm

Post by XScorpion »

I'm just gonna wait for n107's explanation, and if he does not have satisfactory justification for his actions, I'm definitely keeping my vote on him.
Excedrin
Excedrin
Goon
Excedrin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:29 am

Post by Excedrin »

Wysp wrote:Well, I'd like to finish this game at least...XP I'll try to look up.

I'm not sure where to go from here, though. Suggestions?
Sure. Your goal as a town player is to find scum. Lack of effort in finding scum is one of the biggest scumtells. If you reread the game so far and find someone has been making posts that don't help find scum, then point that out.

It's also useful to learn something about how other players think about the game and then possibly spot inconsistencies. If someone states that they want to lynch all lurkers, but then they vote for one lurker and ignore others, that's interesting.

It's useful to do anything that will let people get a read on you later. As scum, you'd want to try to have no opinion and fly under the radar, then hope that town doesn't pick up on that. If a player says that they're certain that player X is town or mafia and they later turn out to be right or wrong after that player is lynched or killed at night, then the remaining town players have something to look at and possibly draw conclusions from. So, not voting isn't helpful.

Basically you have only your vote and your only task is to decide where to place it.

What do you think about n107yuh's vote and disappearance?

Do you still think there's any reason to no lynch?

Who's the scummiest player right now?
Wysp
Wysp
Goon
Wysp
Goon
Goon

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:37 am

Post by Wysp »

n107yuh--Lemme think...Well, it does match up with what I've seen the Mafia do before...But he could just be busy like me. However, since this is Mafia, I'm gonna go with Mafia--I don't think he's
that
busy. I can still show up and I'm fairly busy. :P

No lynch--No--that error has been amended on my part.

Summiest--Well, for an overall point of view, I'd probably guess me ( :P ), but I think n107yuh is scum...He's trying to slip under the radar a little too much.

oramiuri
oramiuri
Townie
oramiuri
Townie
Townie

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:37 am

Post by oramiuri »

I know this sort of contradicts what I said earlier about not being able to pressure lurkers, but n107 exhibited some very scummy behavior and then disappeared, thus contributing very little analysis to the game itself.

Vote: n107yuh
Messiah
Messiah
Goon
Messiah
Goon
Goon

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:54 pm

Post by Messiah »

@Excedrin: I see you asked Wysp how he feels about n107yuh's post but you haven't said a single thing about it yet. What do you think?

@mod: Prods on NAW and n107yuh please.
It's times like this..
Excedrin
Excedrin
Goon
Excedrin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:18 pm

Post by Excedrin »

If at the start of the game, before anyone has posted anything, my perception of everyone else's townness or scumness is 0, with positive values for protown and negative values for proscum, then lurking ranges from 0 to -X. It's never protown. Jumping on a bandwagon of someone who looks like they're going to be lynched without providing any analysis at all (of the person being voted or anyone else in the game) is like -0.3 to -0.7, depending on context.

Note that these numbers are kinda arbitrary.

In n107yuh's case, if he's still playing, it's pretty scummy. If he's flaked and is gone then it's a nulltell. It's also possible that he simply agrees with some argument that's been posted before and is clueless about what's expected of him in his first MS game (I haven't tried to find other games of his). On other forums, people play games where they lynch nearly randomly on d1 and jumping on a wagon without contributing at all is considered standard. So, I'm willing to give n107yuh the benefit of the doubt if he said that something like that was the case. But even if it was, it's fine to lynch anti-town elements (town who don't scumhunt at all or let you build a meta are useless).
Tenchi
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:06 pm

Post by Tenchi »

Messiah wrote:@Excedrin: I see you asked Wysp how he feels about n107yuh's post but you haven't said a single thing about it yet. What do you think?

@mod: Prods on NAW and n107yuh please.

NOTED.

NewAgeWarrior
and
n107yuh
have been prodded.
Yes. That same Tenchi. :D

Reicheru and Tenchi begin to bond more, sending love letters to each other.
XScorpion
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:18 am

Post by XScorpion »

I checked...this is n107's first game.
NewAgeWarrior
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
Goon

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:44 am

Post by NewAgeWarrior »

Sorry guys. I've been here, but there really isn't much to say at this point. Everything I would have said has been said. I agree that N107 is looking scummy right now. I've considered voting for him but I want a response from him or for him to be replaced.

Wysp has the most votes ATM, but to me his actions indicated noob over scum.

I also have a weird vibe at Xscorpion. I'm not sure why, I just do.

@wysp
Even if you are about to be lynched you should still try your best to scumhunt, because even if your get killed day 1, if town ends up winning, its a win for the dead people too.
ITSA, United States Navy
W-L
Townie: 1-2
In Progress: 2 alive
Wysp
Wysp
Goon
Wysp
Goon
Goon

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:53 am

Post by Wysp »

...Good point. Do you feel smart often, Wysp? :P

Yeah, I think that n107 is guilty. I'm not the most reliable judge, as you all can tell, but since everyone's put out their evidence, I think it's fairly convincing.

Vote: n107yuh

Excedrin
Excedrin
Goon
Excedrin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:29 am

Post by Excedrin »

One of the points I tried to make in post 138 is that we should focus on players who can respond to accusations and voice their suspicions. Just jumping on a n107yuh bandwagon generates very little information. Part of the goal for day 1 is to get people to voice opinions and explain their point of view.

Even if we lynch n107yuh today, who's everyone's 2nd choice and why?
purple princess
purple princess
Goon
purple princess
Goon
Goon

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:40 am

Post by purple princess »

Ok I can see from peoples recent posts that they think that n107yuh must be scum, has anybody stopped to think that maybe this is just his first game, his post looked very noob and he hasn't posted since, maybe this game just wasn't for him. I really don't think he should be lynched before he has responded or a replacement has been found. I feel this could be a really bad move if his is killed and he is found to be town, we may have missed vital information on who is actually scum.
XScorpion
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:48 am

Post by XScorpion »

Completely honestly, I have no idea who my second choice would be...I guess oramuiri has the least amount of contribution after n107.
I have a feeling that n107 is just gonna get replaced and then I'm going to have to really think about who I should vote for...
NewAgeWarrior
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
Goon

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:34 am

Post by NewAgeWarrior »

Scorpion wrote: I have a feeling that n107 is just gonna get replaced and then I'm going to have to really think about who I should vote for...
FoS:XScorpion

So your not really thinking about who you are voting for?

To me, after reading that post, you give me an impression that you are going for the "safe" votes and attacking lurkers, so you don't have to put yourself out there. This, to me, is VERY scummy.

Does anyone else get this impression, or is it just me?
ITSA, United States Navy
W-L
Messiah
Messiah
Goon
Messiah
Goon
Goon

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:22 am

Post by Messiah »

I don't support an n107yuh lynch at all right now, he's certainly proven that he doesn't know what he's doing, but that isn't a very good reason to lynch him before he can respond/get replaced.
XScorpion wrote:I guess oramuiri has the least amount of contribution after n107.
No, that would be you.

XScorpion wrote:I have a feeling that n107 is just gonna get replaced and then I'm going to have to really think about who I should vote for...
You should already be thinking about who to vote for. Why aren't you?
It's times like this..
XScorpion
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:30 am

Post by XScorpion »

Messiah wrote:
XScorpion wrote:I guess oramuiri has the least amount of contribution after n107.
No, that would be you.
I'm interested in how you've decided this? Do you actually consider me a lurker?
Messiah wrote:
XScorpion wrote:I have a feeling that n107 is just gonna get replaced and then I'm going to have to really think about who I should vote for...
You should already be thinking about who to vote for. Why aren't you?
[/quote]
I apologize for not trying to play this like a game of chess and looking multiple turns ahead...last time I checked, we still don't have sufficient evidence to suggest anyone is scum, so I don't see why I should plan what order I want to lynch everyone else in. The closest indication I have towards where I should vote is a guy who has been lurking since he started. Maybe this is his first game, but no one can say for sure. Yes, maybe what I'm doing looks scummy to you, but if he IS the mafia, then we'll be throwing the game away if we leave him be. I don't want to take that risk.
NewAgeWarrior
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
Goon

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:41 am

Post by NewAgeWarrior »

I apologize for not trying to play this like a game of chess and looking multiple turns ahead...last time I checked, we still don't have sufficient evidence to suggest anyone is scum, so I don't see why I should plan what order I want to lynch everyone else in
we're not asking you to look 10 moves ahead, all we asked was simply who is your #2 pick
And are you suggesting that 6 pages in, noone has said anything scummy?

and what is sufficent evidence? the scum is not going to jump right out and tell yo who they are, you need to poke and prod and analyze reactions and use that as your evidence.
Yes, maybe what I'm doing looks scummy to you, but if he IS the mafia, then we'll be throwing the game away if we leave him be. I don't want to take that risk.
but your willing to risk he fact that he is probably just a noob townie? In my limited experience, lurkers (especily in small games and noob games) are just noobs or very busy.
ITSA, United States Navy
W-L

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”