Newbie 827 - Store Katana (Scum Win!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
oramiuri
oramiuri
Townie
oramiuri
Townie
Townie

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:40 pm

Post by oramiuri »

Perhaps I'm micro analyzing, but what do people think of Sarcyn's leave? Is he bored with his role of a vanilla townie, or does he feel unwilling to go through the effort of being a doc/cop/mafia? Or am I just being ridiculous and he truly has better things to do?

@Sarcyn; please don't reveal. As a wise man once said, "The suspense is unbearable! I hope it will last."

VOTE COUNT

(2) Wysp - julienvonwolfe, Messiah

(1) n107yuh - XScorpion
(1) NewAgeWarrior - purple princess
(1) Messiah - Wysp

Not Voting: n107yuh, Sarcyn, NewAgeWarrior, oramiuri

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch
DEADLINE: September 7, 2009 12:01 PM PST
Messiah
Messiah
Goon
Messiah
Goon
Goon

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Post by Messiah »

@PurplePrincess: You don't find anything that Wysp has done suspicious?

@oramiuri: Reading into it at this point would just be an exercise in complete speculation and I don't think it would benefit town any.
It's times like this..
XScorpion
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Post by XScorpion »

I hope his replacement actually contributes or my vote will be changing soon...
purple princess
purple princess
Goon
purple princess
Goon
Goon

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:14 am

Post by purple princess »

Messiah wrote:@PurplePrincess: You don't find anything that Wysp has done suspicious?
Not really, I didn't really like the whole no lynch thing, but that is such a newbie thing to do, almost every newbie game has at least one person who thinks this is a good idea, untill it is explained to them that this is really no help to anyone apart from scum.
Tenchi
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:45 am

Post by Tenchi »

Sarcyn wrote:
@MOD: Please replace me in this game.
On it.

Also, prod check on Friday/Saturday.
Yes. That same Tenchi. :D

Reicheru and Tenchi begin to bond more, sending love letters to each other.
julienvonwolfe
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:46 pm

Post by julienvonwolfe »

oramiuri wrote:Perhaps I'm micro analyzing, but what do people think of Sarcyn's leave? Is he bored with his role of a vanilla townie, or does he feel unwilling to go through the effort of being a doc/cop/mafia? Or am I just being ridiculous and he truly has better things to do?
Eh, if he is replaced, he's out of the game and won't win or lose no matter what the outcome is. No worries about that.
purple princess wrote:
Messiah wrote:@PurplePrincess: You don't find anything that Wysp has done suspicious?
Not really, I didn't really like the whole no lynch thing, but that is such a newbie thing to do, almost every newbie game has at least one person who thinks this is a good idea, untill it is explained to them that this is really no help to anyone apart from scum.
This is an interesting take on the idea; do you feel that the newbies who vote no lynch are equally town and scum?
Tenchi
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:39 pm

Post by Tenchi »

Excedrin
replaces Sarcyn immediately.

Good luck, Excedrin.

Excedrin
Excedrin
Goon
Excedrin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:46 pm

Post by Excedrin »

Hi, I'm not sure why Sarcyn quit, but I'm sorta addicted to mafia, and I won't be lurking. This will be my 3rd game of forums mafia (lost my 1st noob game as scum, died town n1 in hiphop mafia, which is still running).

I've caught up already, here's my take on things so far. Please point out anything I've missed.

Wysp seems noob, possible scum. Post 31's "my vote stands" and post 58's idea(s) about lurkers seem slightly scummy. Wysp did bring up a good point, that lynching quickly is not necessarily anti-town. Even a mislynch generates a lot of information (in terms of who wagoned and how they justified it). I'm opposed to a Wysp lynch today, but I prefer any lynch to nolynch.

XScorp's focus on lurkers is the right idea (it's good to pressure lurkers and generate discussion), but singleminded focus on lurkers is a bit scummy. Secondly, note that it's impossible to pressure someone who isn't going to read your vote/accusation/suspicion/wild theory/whatever. I think it's a noob mistake to fail to distinguish between someone who flaked and someone who is actually lurking. It also bothers me that there are multiple lurkers and XScorp has focused on one in particular. I don't believe that XScorp's rolefishing (or setup speculation) is very important since NAW opened the can with his claim, and XScorp hasn't said anything about anyone else's role. If you read either of my previous games (especially hiphop mafia), I made the same mistakes regarding voting for unconfirmed players because lurking annoys me.

XScorp, how set on lynching Wysp are you?

NewAgeWarrior's post 23 is bizarre. Even more bizarre is the follow up post 40 where he unvotes out of fear of a quicklynch. post 44 is also strange, I'm not sure why ey defends eyself by saying that Wysp is more scummy, it looks like deflection. Finally, post 97 seems a bit like a "you're not clear, why do you get to lead?" sort of statement.

I liked that purple princess pointed out that NAW is SE, because NAW's early claim (in his 1st post after the game started) is clearly anti-town, and apparently not a noob mistake. Claiming townie early helps scum narrow down who they should target for their nightkill (and potentially block) since they usually try to kill (or block) power roles. It's blatantly obvious why claiming early is anti-town.

NAW, are you opposed to lynching someone on day 1 in
this
game? Do you agree with Wysp that we should nolynch?

Vote: NewAgeWarrior
NewAgeWarrior
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
Goon

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:40 am

Post by NewAgeWarrior »

No, I am not opposed to a lynch, all I meant was that a no lynch was better than a stupid, half assed lych that could easily end up in a towns death. I unvoted in fear of a quicklynch because we should draw this day out much longer (we still have like 2 weeks), so we can get more info and reactions.
Claiming townie early helps scum narrow down who they should target for their nightkill (and potentially block) since they usually try to kill (or block) power roles. It's blatantly obvious why claiming early is anti-town.
So you are saying that i claimed townie so i could identify myself as a power role, and because im scum, I can then kill myself at night?

As far as post 97 is concerned, I don't think that a "no-lynch" should be out of the question. It's just stupid to not want to talk about one of our options.
ITSA, United States Navy
W-L
Townie: 1-2
In Progress: 2 alive
purple princess
purple princess
Goon
purple princess
Goon
Goon

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:47 am

julienvonwolfe wrote:This is an interesting take on the idea; do you feel that the newbies who vote no lynch are equally town and scum?
Depends, if they change their vote because it is explained to them that no lynch only benefits scum, from some of the other newbie games I have played I have come across people who use the no lynch move as it works on other sites they have played on, I don't really think it has a place here on day one unless you are scum.
That said though, people may change their no lynch vote just to "blend in" and may still be scum.
I guess people's subsequent posts then need to be analysed to see if it was just a newbie move or trying to be a tactitcal scum move.
Messiah
Messiah
Goon
Messiah
Goon
Goon

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:04 am

Post by Messiah »

NAW's continuing assertion that no lynch would be a good idea is making him look like a much better lynch than he was last time I commented on him.

@PurplePrincess: Are you completely against a Wysp lynch at this point?
It's times like this..
NewAgeWarrior
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
Goon

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:55 am

Post by NewAgeWarrior »

For the last time
No, I am not opposed to a lynch,
So please, FFS, stop saying I'm opposed to a lynch, I just dont want to lynch a townie (is that so wrong?)
ITSA, United States Navy
W-L
Tenchi
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:13 am

Post by Tenchi »

n107yuh and Wysp
have been prodded.

n107yuh
n107yuh
Townie
n107yuh
Townie
Townie

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:46 am

Post by n107yuh »

not sure how to bold my text, my computer is pretty weird like that. Anyway..... Vote: Wysp
n107yuh
n107yuh
Townie
n107yuh
Townie
Townie

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:47 am

Post by n107yuh »

oh....i need to preview. right, ok.
Vote: Wysp
Tenchi
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:53 am

Post by Tenchi »

n107yuh wrote:not sure how to bold my text, my computer is pretty weird like that. Anyway..... Vote: Wysp
Or type the following format out:

Code: Select all

[b] Vote: EvilScumScum [/b] 

Messiah
Messiah
Goon
Messiah
Goon
Goon

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:00 am

Post by Messiah »

@NewAgeWarrior: I didn't mean to imply that you were completely opposed to a lynch, just that you refuse to accept the fact that a no-lynch on day 1 is anti-town no matter how many times it is explained to you.

@n107yuh: ...You're just going to stop lurking long enough to jump on the biggest wagon? No comment at all?
It's times like this..
Excedrin
Excedrin
Goon
Excedrin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:03 am

Post by Excedrin »

NewAgeWarrior wrote:No, I am not opposed to a lynch, all I meant was that a no lynch was better than a stupid, half assed lych that could easily end up in a towns death. I unvoted in fear of a quicklynch because we should draw this day out much longer (we still have like 2 weeks), so we can get more info and reactions.
More time doesn't always result in a better decision. Sometimes it just lets scum blend in and fix or explain away their previous scummy behavior.
NewAgeWarrior wrote:
Claiming townie early helps scum narrow down who they should target for their nightkill (and potentially block) since they usually try to kill (or block) power roles. It's blatantly obvious why claiming early is anti-town.
So you are saying that i claimed townie so i could identify myself as a power role, and because im scum, I can then kill myself at night?
No, I'm saying that assuming that you're not scum and you're actually a townie, then your claim only helps the 2 players who are scum narrow down their night action choices.
NewAgeWarrior wrote: As far as post 97 is concerned, I don't think that a "no-lynch" should be out of the question. It's just stupid to not want to talk about one of our options.
The only argument you've stated in favor of nolynch is "we may lynch town". But, even if we do, we'll see who was on the wagon (more information) and, if we have a cop, we increase the chance that the cop finds scum from 2 in 8 if we nolynch to 2 in 7, that's assuming cop randomly selects their investigation target. The same thing is true if we have a doctor.

If we lynch today, we have 2 lynches before lylo. Today there's 9 players, 7 town 2 mafia. If we mislynch, it'll be 6 town, 2 mafia and we go to night. Mafia kills one, so 5 town 2 mafia tomorrow. So, we have another freelynch tomorrow. So, 2 chances to hit mafia before lylo.

If we don't lynch today, then tomorrow will be 8 players, 6 town 2 mafia. We can then lynch tomorrow, and it'll be 7 alive at night, mafia kills one, 6 alive next day with 4 town 2 mafia. So with 6 alive, if we mislynch (going to night with 3 town 2 mafia, they kill and have even numbers the next day) we lose, so we have to nolynch.

So, if we nolynch today we lose a chance to kill mafia permanently and we lose all of the information that 2 lynches provides in terms of who voted for whom and why.

Now that I've explained this in detail, please justify your position that
It's just stupid to not want to talk about one of our options.
How did talking about this
help find scum
?

It's a huge waste of time. Wasting time talking about crap is anti-town.

NewAgeWarrior, since you're in favor of lynching today, who do you want to lynch today?
purple princess
purple princess
Goon
purple princess
Goon
Goon

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:18 am

Messiah wrote:@PurplePrincess: Are you completely against a Wysp lynch at this point?
Not at all, still unsure what to make of him.

@n107yuh, would you like to share with us why you have voted for Wysp? you seem to have some serious lurker issues going on at the moment imo.
XScorpion
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:02 am

Post by XScorpion »

Exedrin wrote:XScorp's focus on lurkers is the right idea (it's good to pressure lurkers and generate discussion), but singleminded focus on lurkers is a bit scummy. Secondly, note that it's impossible to pressure someone who isn't going to read your vote/accusation/suspicion/wild theory/whatever. I think it's a noob mistake to fail to distinguish between someone who flaked and someone who is actually lurking. It also bothers me that there are multiple lurkers and XScorp has focused on one in particular.
It would bother me too, except when I am reassured that my vote is justified when I see responses as incredibly insightful [/sarcasm] as
n107yuh wrote:not sure how to bold my text, my computer is pretty weird like that. Anyway..... Vote: Wysp
Exedrin wrote:XScorp, how set on lynching Wysp are you?
It's really hard for me to be convinced to vote Wysp when the biggest lurker right now makes one sentence posts VOTING FOR WYSP, while Wysp has actually offered a defense and reasons to his actions.
Excedrin
Excedrin
Goon
Excedrin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:11 am

Post by Excedrin »

Ah, I think I wrote Wysp instead of s3r9i032123 / n107yuh.

How set are you on lynching n107yuh?
XScorpion
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:16 am

Post by XScorpion »

Unless he has a REALLY REALLY good excuse for lurking, or someone else does something that's unbelievably scummy (more scummy than anything Wysp or NAW has done so far) I'm probably not going to change my vote.
NewAgeWarrior
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
Goon

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:40 am

Post by NewAgeWarrior »

@ excedrin
I see what you mean now, sorry i didn't get it before.
NewAgeWarrior, since you're in favor of lynching today, who do you want to lynch today?
That tough for me at this point. Wysp has done the most scummy things this game IMO but i dont feel as if he is scum, just new.

I really dont like how n107 has come from the dead, then not contributed a thing (other than a vote). orimari hasnt post much either.

So if i had to lynch someone, i would lynch n107. I'll prolly vote for him soon based off of his reaction (or lack there of).
ITSA, United States Navy
W-L
oramiuri
oramiuri
Townie
oramiuri
Townie
Townie

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:02 pm

Post by oramiuri »

I'm still suspicious of Wysp, but less so than I am of n107yuh. That one line post was kind of strange. Would you care to explain your reasoning, n107yuh?
julienvonwolfe
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:56 am

Post by julienvonwolfe »

n107yuh wrote:oh....i need to preview. right, ok.
Vote: Wysp
This post is extraordinary. n107, care to give your thoughts? We're well out of the random vote stage now, so I should hope you've got some substance to back up the vote.

---

About no lynches: I thought I had commented on these, but it looks like I haven't. As Excedrin says, they're pretty much essential to the town. No lynches are like giving the scum a free nightkill, and they also give scum a way to avoid putting any opinions on table.

---

Finally, I think that the forums may be cracking up again - I can't access my watched topics page, which is annoying. Make sure to copy any posts before you post them, in case they get lost in space.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”