California Trilogy: City of Angels - Off Stage (Game Over)

Mr. Grey
Mr. Grey
Mystery Host
Mr. Grey
Mystery Host
Mystery Host

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:26 am

Post by Mr. Grey »

Take One

The actors for the first scene are in their places. The cameras are in position. Mr. Grey has his coffee.

"Alright, people. Let's make this good. Cameras, keep rolling, no matter what. They may say some things that aren't in the script. They may even say some things that don't make any sense. That'll just keep the fans guessing."

Mr. Grey turns to look at the remaining actors, not taking part in this scene.

"Oh, right. You guys can do whatever..."

He smiles.

"Though I can already see that you're thinking about lynching someone..."

It is Scene 1. With 11 Off Stage, it will take 6 to lynch before the end of the Scene.
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:03 am

Post by Seraphim »

Alright, let's get down to it. I agree with DGB that we should use the special voting to make scumlists, there's no problem with that. But we should also aim for majorities as well.

Here's a list of the off-stage players:

Gaspar
zwetschenwasser
elmosaurian
Mighty Orbots
Thok
Bagel Eating Cowfrog
ShadowLurker
Rawr Hydra
Seraphim
KY Krew
GoofballsAndBaloons

Alright, let's get moving.

Vote: zwetschenwasser
ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:45 am

Post by ShadowLurker »

Just putting this out there and don't feel like making further comment on it atm but I don't like 99%. That 1% is a big gap from 100%.

Vote KY Krew
:sadtorch Ken Hoang, A.D/Fuzzie, Cameron Ferris, Taj Johnson-George, Annie Duke, Patti Blagojevich, Maria/Tiffany :sadtorch
:torch Tammy/Victor, Dan/Jordan
Mighty Orbots
Mighty Orbots
Goon
Mighty Orbots
Goon
Goon

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:27 am

Post by Mighty Orbots »

Gaspar, if you really are confirmed town, and you can confirm someone else, then you're doing the town a disservice by not explaining why. I could go into particulars on why I feel this way but this is a very veteran group so I don't think it's necessary.

DGB, you're tunneling awfully hard on zwet.

vote: Mr. Grey
With a surge of power, the magnificent mega robot zooms off into space!
Mighty Orbots
Mighty Orbots
Goon
Mighty Orbots
Goon
Goon

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:28 am

Post by Mighty Orbots »

EBWOP: That's a PZ post.
Gaspar
Gaspar
Mafia Scum
Gaspar
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:57 am

Post by Gaspar »

Talilan wrote:I am not sure if I am allowed to quote from the rules post, so I will avoid doing so for the time being, but:
Gaspar (115) wrote:That said, I see nothing to indicate that any individual player has any knowledge or preference for one choice over any other choice during Scene One
It explicitly states in the on camera rules that the advocate gets information to help make the decision. Ergo, the first scene is not random at all. Did you just miss this or is there another reason you think the scene is still entirely random?
I misinterpreted an aspect of the scenes. I thought that when Scene Three said each advocate gets "partial information," that implied that the advocates in the other scenes did not get information.
Talilan wrote:Either way I don't understand your point about the second and onwards scenes being
not
random, or at least
less
random than the first. The difference is that the advocates are chosen by scum, rather than randomly. Just because it has a scum-WIFOM filter applied to it wouldn't somehow render it non-random if it was already random to begin with.
I'm not really sure what your last sentence means, but you answered your own question. On Scene One, the Adovcates were chosen completely at random. From Scene Two onwards, the Adovcates are chosen by a scumgroup. Unless the scums are to choose Advocates randomly (an assumption we cannot make), then Scenes Two and beyond would be inherently less random. I'm not really sure how you're not understanding this.
Talilan wrote:Note that the choice isn't "to follow one or another advocate", that's only for the first scene. It doesn't mean that one advocate is town and another is scum, it means that one is the right advocate to follow; presumably independently of their alignment. Note in subsequent scenes the choices aren't tied to specific advocates, and e.g. in Scene 2 there are 3 choices and only one advocate.
I'm well aware that each advocate could be Scum or Town, that their alignment is independent of each other, and that there is one Good choice and one Bad choice regardless of alignment. The fact that the Advocates were random, and that the Good/Bad nature of each choice is independent of their alignment makes the first Decision that much more random.

Lalilian wrote:
Gaspar (116) wrote:I haven't seen a single person actually make a case as to why On-Camera decisions would be more important than killing scumbags, yet I've had three people question or disagree with me on this point. I would LOVE to see some counterpoints if you folks have them.
Well for example the result of the worst outcome in a scene might mean the scum get 5 nightkills that night rather than 1, or 0. We just don't know what form they're going to take. I don't understand why you'd assume that the on-camera action would somehow be irrelevant when it looks like it's designed to be the centrepiece of the game. The players on-camera are a minority whose every move is going to be under particular scrutiny and who can't scrutinise most of the other players. Furthermore there are several devices to relay information to them, albeit subtly. Why would you think the players with limited communication, who everyone can see, would be less rather than of equal or greater importance than the flock of people off-stage?
This is ridiculous. You play to win the game. That is your top priority. Period. Saying "we should focus on the on-camera decisions, because we want to avoid the Town's worst possible Endgame scenario" is complete and utter bullshit. I've already said why the people off-stage are more important, and I'm going to sit here repeating this point until I can bludgeon it into your head.
The people off-stage are the ones who lynch (the scums, ideally), and that gives us the best shot at winning the game.

You sit here arguing that we need to avoid making a streak of bad decisions to avoid the town's worst-case scenario. But even if we make every Good decision possible, if we continually mislynch in here, we'll end up in the worst case scenario anyway.

Furthermore, I don't think I ever stated or implied that on-camera decisions are completely irrelevant. I said that we don't know the outcome of said decisions, and that they can be rendered irrelevant
if
we can find and lynch the scums (or if the scums get us to mislynch down to 5 town). I even stated that the On-Camera decisions are a useful backup plan, but I maintain that our focus should be on THIS thread, working to find and lynch the scums here and now, just as we would in any game which took place in a single game thread.

.....aaand it just occurred to me that you can't respond to this in real-time, because you're On-Camera. Meh.
Gaspar
Gaspar
Mafia Scum
Gaspar
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:00 am

Post by Gaspar »

Vote: Elmosaurian
, [Peoples], No Lynch, Gaspar
Gaspar
Gaspar
Mafia Scum
Gaspar
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:20 am

Post by Gaspar »

Oh, in largely unrelated news:

Does anybody else notice that not only did our Director, MafiaJin, put himself into the scene, but also put the Assistant Director (curiouskarmadog) into the scene as well? CKD has the ability to fire Jin and take over the Director job for himself, yet MJ has severely mitigated CKD's ability to do so by putting CKD in the scene as well. This gives Jin the ability to pick actors for another scene, unless we can relay the "You're fired" message to CKD during the day today.

I feel that, between MafiaJin's self-placement into the scene, his move to protect his Director's position by putting CKD in the scene, and his justification for his self-placement ("I want to guarantee a town player in the scene"), and his bringing up of alternate win conditions (SUPER DUPER MAJOR RED FLAG), he is almost certainly scum. Or, at the very least, not a standard Innocent.

I would like to relay to CKD that he should fire/replace MafiaJin as soon as possible, and I want MafiaJin lynched tomorrow. I propose that our Director of Photography transmits a message of Donald Trump in his "You're Fired" face to hopefully get that point across.
Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:38 am

Post by Thok »

Gaspar wrote:Does anybody else notice that not only did our Director, MafiaJin, put himself into the scene, but also put the Assistant Director (curiouskarmadog) into the scene as well? CKD has the ability to fire Jin and take over the Director job for himself, yet MJ has severely mitigated CKD's ability to do so by putting CKD in the scene as well. This gives Jin the ability to pick actors for another scene, unless we can relay the "You're fired" message to CKD during the day today.
Wasn't CKD one of the original five people in the scene? It seems as though that group was decided randomly (along with the other five people preassigned to each of the first four scenes), and not by MafiaJin.

I also disagree with your Elmosarian vote; at least from the early discussion he feels like one of the more likely people to be protown.

vote: GoofballsAndBaloons
, [KY Krew, Rawr Hydra], Seraphim, [Mighty Orbots, BagelEatingCowFrog], Shadowlurker, none, zwetschenwasser, [Gaspar, elmosaurian], Thok

Tag fixed. Only bold actual votes, please. - Mod
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Gaspar
Gaspar
Mafia Scum
Gaspar
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:01 am

Post by Gaspar »

Oh, my mistake. Pah.

Still, I have an alternative solution. Waiting on one point of clarification from the mod, but to take MafiaJin off-screen, we might be able to have the Stuntsman take his role on-camera. I really want MafiaJin dead.

Also, the Elmosaurian vote was largely arbitrary. I just love Elmo and Yos so much.
ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:41 am

Post by ShadowLurker »

Thok, why is zwet so low on your list? I've never played a game with him or read one with him in it so I'm not buying the meta argument that much but do you have contrary meta experiences? Or do you think the push for him feels scum driven?

I've heard he is detrimental to town occasionally even when innocent so I'm wondering why you would find a No Lynch preferable to his lynch yet not comment at all on the attention focused on him thus far.
:sadtorch Ken Hoang, A.D/Fuzzie, Cameron Ferris, Taj Johnson-George, Annie Duke, Patti Blagojevich, Maria/Tiffany :sadtorch
:torch Tammy/Victor, Dan/Jordan
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:50 am

Post by Thok »

ShadowLurker wrote:Thok, why is zwet so low on your list? I've never played a game with him or read one with him in it so I'm not buying the meta argument that much but do you have contrary meta experiences? Or do you think the push for him feels scum driven?
GoofballsandBaloons push on him seems a bit forced to me, and it's why I have that hydra high on my voting list and zwet low. I can (and possibly will) change my mind about both of them but right now early day 1 I'm not interested in a zwet lynch.

Also, on a side note, I feel we shouldn't send in the KY Krew until Panzerjager posts On screen, given that he's the other advocate. (Assuming we send in the KY Krew at all.)
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Mighty Orbots
Mighty Orbots
Goon
Mighty Orbots
Goon
Goon

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:05 am

Post by Mighty Orbots »

Hmm, a couple quick questions for now.

ShadowLurker, apparently you didn't want to talk about (your vote? your problem with 99%) but were the vote for KY Krew and the 99% comment supposed to have any connection at all?

Thok, why put some of the names in brackets like that on your list?

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:11 am

Post by Thok »

Mighty Orbots wrote:Thok, why put some of the names in brackets like that on your list?

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
If I remember Concordat voting correctly (I haven't actually done it before) [X,Y,Z] means "I equally value X, Y and Z as a lynch."

I could be horribly wrong, and will alter my vote at a later point if I need to correct it.
Mighty Orbots
Mighty Orbots
Goon
Mighty Orbots
Goon
Goon

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:25 am

Post by Mighty Orbots »

OK, I wondered if that might be it (and it matches what it looks like Gaspar was trying to do with his list) though it seemed fairly early to have a list that involved and also have number of ties with exactly two people in them like that. I'll check with Mith about the formatting; my familiarity with Condorcet voting has always involved a complete, unambiguous list of participants but my experience is fairly limited.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
elmosaurian
elmosaurian
Goon
elmosaurian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:33 am

Post by elmosaurian »

Gaspar wrote:Elmo/Yos: keep in mind, also, that if we get the scums down to 2, they will automatically be put in their "worst possible" endgame setup. There is EVERY incentive to keep Scumhunting as your top priority. Trying to make good decisions On-Camera is a fine and dandy backup plan, but it should NEVER take precedence over trying to kill the scums off.

Honestly, I don't even see why this is up for debate. I haven't seen a single person actually make a case as to why On-Camera decisions would be more important than killing scumbags, yet I've had three people question or disagree with me on this point. I would LOVE to see some counterpoints if you folks have them.

I'm not sure why you're directing this at us; we never said otherwise. Plus, good scumhunting, getting an idea of who to trust and who not to trust, will help with the on-camera decisions anyway.

-Yos
elmosaurian
elmosaurian
Goon
elmosaurian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:35 am

Post by elmosaurian »

Gaspar wrote:
Vote: Elmosaurian
, [Peoples], No Lynch, Gaspar
Any specific reason for that vote?

Also, is that a valid format of the vote? I assume you just voted us, then everyone else, then no lynch, then you, correct?
elmosaurian
elmosaurian
Goon
elmosaurian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:41 am

Post by elmosaurian »

Also, not sure about the MafiaJin hate, gasper. Is it just because he put himself on camera? You may be right that off-camera is more important then on-camera (honestly, we don't really have enough information to be sure about that), but either way, it's not like there was a consencuss on that when he picked the roles.

In other news, in the on camera thread, curiouskarmadog seems to be giving the town pretty clear information about which is the right and wrong way to go. It'll be interesting to see if the other advocate goes along with that or not, but unless both advocates are scum, I doubt he's lying. Which makes me wonder about all the people who seem to doubt him, unless they're just role-playing; it's hard to tell.

-Yos

P.S. I am going to be away for the weekend, and Elmo already said he'll be gone until Tuesday, so I guess we're going to be V/LA for a few days.
Bagel Eating Cowfrog
Bagel Eating Cowfrog
Townie
Bagel Eating Cowfrog
Townie
Townie

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:42 am

Post by Bagel Eating Cowfrog »

Gaspar, why are you so interested in MafiaJin?

Is it not a possiblity that he could simply just be a player with just bad logic?
If so, why is bad logic scummy?

Thok, why is zwet below No Lynch? Is it simply because you dislike GoofballsAndBalloons' push on him? If so, why is no lynch preferable to losing a player who is, based on meta, usually a distraction to the town?

-Cow
dahill+hascow+Shanba
Bagel Eating Cowfrog
Bagel Eating Cowfrog
Townie
Bagel Eating Cowfrog
Townie
Townie

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:47 am

elmosaurian wrote:In other news, in the on camera thread, curiouskarmadog seems to be giving the town pretty clear information about which is the right and wrong way to go. It'll be interesting to see if the other advocate goes along with that or not, but unless both advocates are scum, I doubt he's lying. Which makes me wonder about all the people who seem to doubt him, unless they're just role-playing; it's hard to tell.
I also noticed this, but the question is, is Wiggin going to do the same thing? It's quite possible that the advocates will advocate for the other. I feel like we shouldn't jump to conclusions quite yet, because we don't know what the deal is there.

-Cow
dahill+hascow+Shanba
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:47 am

Post by Thok »

Bagel Eating Cowfrog wrote:Thok, why is zwet below No Lynch? Is it simply because you dislike GoofballsAndBalloons' push on him? If so, why is no lynch preferable to losing a player who is, based on meta, usually a distraction to the town?

-Cow
Thok wrote:GoofballsandBaloons push on him seems a bit forced to me, and it's why I have that hydra high on my voting list and zwet low. I can (and possibly will) change my mind about both of them but right now early day 1 I'm not interested in a zwet lynch.
Basically, the people I have below no lynch are the people I don't think it would be useful to lynch now in the early part of Day 1. I obviously reserve the right to change any part of my list at any time.
Bagel Eating Cowfrog
Bagel Eating Cowfrog
Townie
Bagel Eating Cowfrog
Townie
Townie

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:54 am

I agree with Gaspar on Off Stage being more important overall than On Camera but we definitely shouldn't ignore it entirely.

As for On Camera, I don't like hewitt's immediate dismissal of CKD's advice. It just seems strange to pick an advocate straight off the bat after only seeing one choice.

After discussing with here is our (policy) vote

-dahill

Vote: Goofballsandbaloons
, Zwet, [People], No Lynch, Bagel Eating Cowfrog
dahill+hascow+Shanba
GoofballsAndBaloons
GoofballsAndBaloons
Goon
GoofballsAndBaloons
Goon
Goon

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:58 am

Post by GoofballsAndBaloons »

Mighty Orbots wrote:DGB, you're tunneling awfully hard on zwet.
Not in the least. His alignment is so transparent that I like to get a strong vibe as early in the game as possible. The reactions from the rest of the players are extremely telling. In this respect, zwet is an invaluable asset to the town, he truly has no match.
[size=75]This is a block of madness that can be added to insanity you post. There is a 255 psychiatric limit.[/size]
Mighty Orbots
Mighty Orbots
Goon
Mighty Orbots
Goon
Goon

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:02 am

Post by Mighty Orbots »

Bagel Eating Cowfrog wrote:I also noticed this, but the question is, is Wiggin going to do the same thing? It's quite possible that the advocates will advocate for the other. I feel like we shouldn't jump to conclusions quite yet, because we don't know what the deal is there.

-Cow
It'd be handy if the advocates did disagree. If they've got knowledge for this particular one it's probably unambiguous (the situation is particularly simple and there are just two choices) so I'd assume that both will know what the right choice for the town is. If one's on the town side there's no way they should give bad advice so if they disagree we know we've got at least one scum between them. I mentioned that before the scene started so those on camera should have had a chance to see it.

What I didn't mention at the time was that although it's a bit ambiguous I think that the rules indicate that we'll learn after the scene is over whether or not the choice was a good one or a bad one. If we do end up with two scum advocates here and they both agree and it was bad advice we'll know that we can lynch both of them.

This first scene at least there shouldn't be anything of interest happening on camera as there's a pretty clear best choice for them to make. All the good stuff should be going on back here.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Bagel Eating Cowfrog
Bagel Eating Cowfrog
Townie
Bagel Eating Cowfrog
Townie
Townie

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:11 am

Mighty Orbots wrote:What I didn't mention at the time was that although it's a bit ambiguous I think that the rules indicate that we'll learn after the scene is over whether or not the choice was a good one or a bad one. If we do end up with two scum advocates here and they both agree and it was bad advice we'll know that we can lynch both of them.
Actually I don't think the rules mentioned whether the choice will be revealed as good/bad at the end of the scene or at endgame. I just assumed at endgame.

-dahill
dahill+hascow+Shanba

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”