Newbie 827 - Store Katana (Scum Win!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
XScorpion
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:10 am

Post by XScorpion »

vote: s3r9i032123

Obviously he's not confirming because he's too scared to play his role as Mafia.
S23181208
S23181208
Townie
S23181208
Townie
Townie

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:49 am

Post by S23181208 »

RVS time!

vote: julienvonwolfe
for laughing at my name.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes
Wysp
Wysp
Goon
Wysp
Goon
Goon

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:06 am

Post by Wysp »

*facepalm*

I hate voting with no evidence. Post analysis time...
(BGM: AJ, Percieve Theme)

Hmmm...I'm gonna bet that Tenchi made one of the experienced players Mafia, to help them out a little bit, but only one. Since there are more Semi-E's than ICs, I'm going to bet it's one of them...

Vote: NewAgeWarrior
Men are like colonies of bacteria. The more heat you apply, the faster they grow.

We can't see the demons that lurk in the dark...That's why humans are weak.
purple princess
purple princess
Goon
purple princess
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:09 am

Post by purple princess »

random vote

Vote Wysp

@ julienvonwolfe this is my thrid game on here, I have no other experiences with mafia games
S23181208
S23181208
Townie
S23181208
Townie
Townie

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:59 am

Post by S23181208 »

Wysp wrote: Hmmm...I'm gonna bet that Tenchi made one of the experienced players Mafia, to help them out a little bit, but only one. Since there are more Semi-E's than ICs, I'm going to bet it's one of them...
[/b]
On this site, as I understand it, not using a random means of role selection is frowned upon.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes
julienvonwolfe
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:24 am

Post by julienvonwolfe »

S23181208 wrote:RVS time!

vote: julienvonwolfe
for laughing at my name.
Random OMGUS:
vote: S23181208

S23181208 wrote:
Wysp wrote: Hmmm...I'm gonna bet that Tenchi made one of the experienced players Mafia, to help them out a little bit, but only one. Since there are more Semi-E's than ICs, I'm going to bet it's one of them...
[/b]
On this site, as I understand it, not using a random means of role selection is frowned upon.
Generally, yes. The exception would be bastard mod games, but those are different to newbie games.

Players should usually treat roles as being random or the game becomes a case of WIFOMing - outguessing - the mod.
Wysp
Wysp
Goon
Wysp
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:33 am

Post by Wysp »

Ah, point taken. Oh well, my vote stands, just because I can. I'm trying to work with what I have, lol.
Men are like colonies of bacteria. The more heat you apply, the faster they grow.

NewAgeWarrior
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:11 pm

Post by NewAgeWarrior »

Vote:s32181208
so i never have to type his damn name in again.

Mod, how do you decide who gets what role? Random.org, or another method you choose?

@wysp
i wish i got a roll other than freaking vanilla townie. ive never been cop, mafia, doc, anything. :(
ITSA, United States Navy
W-L
Townie: 1-2
In Progress: 2 alive
Wysp
Wysp
Goon
Wysp
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:37 pm

Post by Wysp »

Wow.

I just realized exactly how far away the deadline is. Darn. Where I played, we took a week per lynch, max.

On the other hand, the night phases could last for a half a month...

I'm tempted to vote for S3 to end this round...

Okay, I'm in a dilemma. Option A: I can switch to S3 to end the round and force the Mafia to think fast and possibly botch up. Option B: I can keep on hammering NAW and see if he messes up.

*is confused*

XScorpion
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:24 pm

Post by XScorpion »

I notice that names are already getting confused.

s3r9i032123 (Sergie) has 1 vote from me.
S23181208 (S2) has 1 vote from julien and 1 vote from NewAgeWarrior, who misspelled his name. Wysp's vote would not be a hammer.
S23181208
S23181208
Townie
S23181208
Townie
Townie

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:36 pm

Post by S23181208 »

NewAgeWarrior wrote:
You didn't even type it correctly that time, lol.
NewAgeWarrior wrote:i wish i got a roll other than freaking vanilla townie.
This is beyond me, honestly. I can't fathom why you would claim on page 2 during the RVS.

I'd like you to state your thought process here and answer Julien's question as to your experience, if you don't mind.
Wysp wrote:I'm tempted to vote for S3 to end this round...
Not only will your vote NOT get me lynched(5 to lynch, not three), wanting a lynch 6 hours in to day 1 is extremely anti-town, I fail to understand this either. For future reference, putting someone at l-2 for no reason is a terrible idea because the scum could easily quicklynch if none of them are currently on the wagon.(Not that I think they would here, it would be terribly obvious)

You said you've played mafia a good few times before, correct? Please tell me what experience you have that could lead you to believe such a quick lynch would be useful.

unvote
now that there's two people much more deserving of my vote.
S23181208
S23181208
Townie
S23181208
Townie
Townie

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:38 pm

Post by S23181208 »

EBWODP:

@NewAgeWarrior: Please feel free to come up with a shortened version of my name, Julien has already suggested S2 if you'd like to use that.
Wysp
Wysp
Goon
Wysp
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:49 pm

Post by Wysp »

It's not so much the advantage as it is A: my impatience, lol. Like I said, we usually take a week or so to lynch at longest, and second, I picked the dude who never showed up. *shrug* Since I have no clues at the moment, I picked the vote which would (assuming S3 is a Townie and not a Mafian like Scorp implied at the beginning of this page) lessen the disadvantage to the Town.

Dangit, now you have me confused. Your name and his are so similar... I thought that the other two guys were voting for the guy who didn't show up. My bad. Okay, NVM.

Unvote NAW,
Vote: s3r9i032123
(Copypasta FTW)

S23181208
S23181208
Townie
S23181208
Townie
Townie

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:07 pm

Post by S23181208 »

Ugh, the name situation is annoying. You guys have got me confused, too.

But anyway, while I'm all for pressuring a lurker the fact that he hasn't even confirmed yet points to him either flaking or not having had time to look at the thread at all yet.

@mod: Since I've only got a few posts on this account would it bother you if I made a new one and just continued on with the game? I don't want the fact that I was too lazy to think of a name after my normal two were taken to get in the way of scum hunting.
Tenchi
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Tenchi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:44 pm

Post by Tenchi »

S23181208 wrote:
@mod: Since I've only got a few posts on this account would it bother you if I made a new one and just continued on with the game? I don't want the fact that I was too lazy to think of a name after my normal two were taken to get in the way of scum hunting.
Please send a PM using your S2 account on what your new username will be.

Make to sure you inform other moderators (game moderators or list moderators) that are involved of this change as well.
Yes. That same Tenchi. :D

Reicheru and Tenchi begin to bond more, sending love letters to each other.
NewAgeWarrior
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:59 pm

Post by NewAgeWarrior »

Unvote
because he is too close to hammer, and we haven't even gotten any info. we have about 3 weeks to get information, rushing things will not help.
This is beyond me, honestly. I can't fathom why you would claim on page 2 during the RVS.
Well, to be honest, who wouldn't claim vanillia townie at this point in the game, its not like i claimed cop, doc or scum, and if i am any of those, I'd wouldn't say I'm one of those untill im about to die. I don't really expect anyone to belive my claim at this stage of the game, and anyone who believes me is a little too gullible anyway. Simply put, if i asked everyone to roleclaim right now, they would all say townie.

@Purple princess
Just now realized you were in this game >< and you should make a purple peach, not a pink one :P
ITSA, United States Navy
W-L
julienvonwolfe
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:32 pm

Post by julienvonwolfe »

S23181208 wrote:
NewAgeWarrior wrote:
You didn't even type it correctly that time, lol.
NewAgeWarrior wrote:i wish i got a roll other than freaking vanilla townie.

I'd like you to state your thought process here and answer Julien's question as to your experience, if you don't mind.
Wysp wrote:I'm tempted to vote for S3 to end this round...
Not only will your vote NOT get me lynched(5 to lynch, not three), wanting a lynch 6 hours in to day 1 is extremely anti-town, I fail to understand this either. For future reference, putting someone at l-2 for no reason is a terrible idea because the scum could easily quicklynch if none of them are currently on the wagon.(Not that I think they would here, it would be terribly obvious)

You said you've played mafia a good few times before, correct? Please tell me what experience you have that could lead you to believe such a quick lynch would be useful.

unvote
now that there's two people much more deserving of my vote.
Why do you feel that claiming vanilla townie is scummy? I don't see how you think that this makes him deserving of your vote.

I agree that Wysp is way suspicious for his admitted impatience to end the day and for no benefit to the town. Town should want the day to last for a good amount of time; there is a point at which too much discussion becomes simply too much, but we're nowhere near that yet.

I find his continued emphasis on being confused distasteful. The question in my mind is whether he's scum, or naive town. A good wagoning should help us decide.

unvote, vote: Wysp

A final point - we should lynch people who we think are scum, not those we feel might cause the scum to slip up. Wysp, how did you envisage the scum botching up, as you put it?
purple princess
purple princess
Goon
purple princess
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:15 pm

Post by purple princess »

NAW wrote:i wish i got a roll other than freaking vanilla townie. ive never been cop, mafia, doc, anything.
I don't understand why you felt the need to post that, no one had asked you to claim, it just feels a little scummy to me, from that I read that you have been given a scum role but you feel the need to confirm with everyone else that you are definatly town.

I also think that voting for s3r9i032123 is pointless, why vote for someone who hasn't even confirmed, this cannot be seen as a case for super lurking if he hasn't even confirmed his role.

Unvote, Vote: NAW
julienvonwolfe
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:29 pm

Post by julienvonwolfe »

Princess - what do you think of his statement that he didn't expect anybody to believe his claim?

Also, why does not confirming not equal lurking if the game has already started?
NewAgeWarrior
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
NewAgeWarrior
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:44 am

Post by NewAgeWarrior »

@ PP

i voted for S23181208, s3r9i032123 is the one who has not posted. 2 different people, both with amasingly simmilar and confusing random numerical names.

And as i mentioned above, I don't expect anybody to believe my claim (just like how you don't), and my claim is utterly useless anyway. It was more of a friendly comment to the person who voted for me.

And it's very pointless to pick on people for who the voted for in the RVS. If anything, its counter-productive. You have wysp saying he want to hammer on page 2, yet my claim and random vote (and subsequent unvote, i might add) are more scummy? I dont follow your logic.

@wysp
what good could possibly come from hammering already?
ITSA, United States Navy
W-L
XScorpion
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:45 am

Post by XScorpion »

NAW's claim doesn't seem scummy to me...it seems like a newbie mistake.
Claiming that "I wish I was a doc/cop/scum" means that he probably isn't the cop, since if he was, no one would believe him after now. Simultaneously, if he was scum, he just threw away the ability to fake-claim cop.
NewAgeWarrior wrote:Well, to be honest, who wouldn't claim vanillia townie at this point in the game
No one should be claiming townie already...if everyone went and claimed townie, we just threw away the usefulness of a cop, since if there actually was a cop, he would have to claim townie at first and thus appear scummy if he claimed later.
julienvonwolfe
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:03 am

Post by julienvonwolfe »

XScorpion wrote:Claiming that "I wish I was a doc/cop/scum" means that he probably isn't the cop, since if he was, no one would believe him after now.
Why not? :?

But regardless, this is a big no-no. Don't publicly speculate about who may be a power role until endgame, or we're just giving the scum clues about who to kill in the night.
Messiah
Messiah
Goon
Messiah
Goon
Goon

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:01 am

Post by Messiah »

julienvonwolfe wrote:Why do you feel that claiming vanilla townie is scummy? I don't see how you think that this makes him deserving of your vote.
I don't think it makes him scummy. I'd say it's a newb mistake(and a null tell), but putting pressure on someone who's prone to newb mistakes couldn't hurt anyone.

@NewAgeWarrior: Instead of asking Wysp questions that he already answered for why don't you give us your opinion on his desire for a quick lynch? Do you think this makes him seem scummy? And please answer my questions from post 35.

@XScorpion/PurplePrincess: You've both commented on NAW's claim but haven't said anything about Wysp. How do you feel about him?

vote: Wysp
It's times like this..
XScorpion
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
XScorpion
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:52 am

Post by XScorpion »

julienvonwolfe wrote:Why not?
Why not? Because at this point, it would be smarter for the cop to simply keep his mouth shut and not claim anything. By saying he's a townie he's already throwing suspicion on himself, rather than being a good pro-town and keeping out of trouble.

The desire for a quick lynch makes me very suspicious of Wysp, and I would probably have voted him already if not for Sergie. Lurking, even if it's because he hasn't been able to come here and post yet, is scummier to me than what Wysp did, so until Sergie or a replacement shows up and posts thoughts, he's still my vote.
Messiah
Messiah
Goon
Messiah
Goon
Goon

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:02 am

Post by Messiah »

I should probably mention that under no circumstances should someone put Wysp at L-1 yet.(I didn't actually realize PP had her RVS vote on him when I voted)
It's times like this..

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”