Hero764
Hero764
Goon
Hero764
Goon
Goon

Post Post #375 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:16 am

Post by Hero764 »

Sorry I feel a bit behind again :(. I'll catch up tonight or tommorow.
Netlava
Netlava
Mafia Scum
Netlava
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #376 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:26 pm

Post by Netlava »

Request prod on falko, mastin
yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #377 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:51 pm

Post by yabbaguy »

Also, you said town about 100 times in that post, making you a bit desperate to sound town.
*buzz*

That's a wild thin-air case.

@Noramp-372: You're completely dismissing our vantage point (scummy), that we DON'T know your alignment of townie. Also:

1) just because it's wrong to lynch you doesn't mean it's right to lynch Hero.
2) the fact that you hated the Hero case but wanted to vote for him anyway is ridiculous.

You still have the Essence de Villageur
(townie vibes)
about you, but please tell me honestly. Who's scummiest right now? Forget Hero vs. you direct comparisons, who's scummiest of *everyone*?

@lurkers: You are being anti-town. This needs to stop now, or Town will lose. I promise. I don't care if your posts are not finished, are based on arguments that have already come up, are only based on early posts, are based on late posts, I don't care, post what you have. Go.
yabbaguy ~ Winning without actually winning.

Town: 10-21 | Mafia: 3-4 | Other: 0-1
yGDB
(meta + commentary)

- On reruns at Sens-O-Tape!
Noramp
Noramp
Mafia Scum
Noramp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #378 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:16 pm

Post by Noramp »

I'm seeing Flava and Falko as neck and neck, and I have some questions concerning Falko because I'm a little confused about his comments regarding the seriousness of his Hero vote. So right now I would say that Flava is my number one and thats why my vote is on him but Falko is right there and might even be scummier if he ever comes back long enough to answer some questions.
Yarr Owlbear!
Noramp
Noramp
Mafia Scum
Noramp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #379 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:27 pm

Post by Noramp »

oh and in terms of the Hero issue, I dont get why its ridiculous to rather see Hero lynched than myself. I dislike the case against me more than against him but I will certainly wait to see what happens and see if one of my choices gets rung up
Yarr Owlbear!
Netlava
Netlava
Mafia Scum
Netlava
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #380 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:02 pm

Post by Netlava »

yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #381 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:16 pm

Post by yabbaguy »

@Noramp-379: Your lynch is to the detriment of your faction, scum or town. I couldn't care less. I will say that I hate being lynched myself, I take it as a personal insult to my play with the knowledge. However, town being the uninformed faction they are, they can't empathize with your viewpoint.

Noramp, here's what's going to happen. There is a deadline set 10 days out from now. If Hero's wagon and your wagon ride on their high horses all the way out for the rest of the Day, everyone's vote is going to suddenly want to be a lynch vote, and you may very well have no choice but to hop on the Hero wagon. Hero is NOT YOUR TOP SUSPECT, but yet you have to pray that it's his lynch for your own sake. Conflict of interest if you're town. If you're scum, well... that's different.

If you don't want that to happen, you need to hustle. If you want a wagon on falk or Flave, start 'em up. And I am voting falk... on the fact that he's not only lurked but been next-to-contentless.

@Netlava-380: You have a really skewed sense of how long a Day should be. First off, a deadline has been set up to explode in our faces in 10 days, and believe me, these can be very well spent.

We have lurkers, a replacement still up in the air, and still a hell of a lot of questions I need to ask before I'm going to hop on either of the prevailing wagons that seem to have developed on Noramp and Hero, and that's if I do. We might even get to form another.

As it stands, I am not ready to lynch. This hinting is obnoxious at best, and again, is scummy for trying to accelerate the Day unnecessarily.

yGDB
(meta + commentary)

ChaosOmega
ChaosOmega
Mafia Scum
ChaosOmega
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #382 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:43 pm

Post by ChaosOmega »

yabbaguy wrote:This hinting is obnoxious at best, and again, is scummy for trying to accelerate the Day unnecessarily.
Accelerate the day unnecessarily? This day has been going on for a month now. Any acceleration is very much necessary. We're at a crawl at this point with the lurkers and the two stalled wagons. Stringing someone up would put a merciful end to this day and incite some more discussion.
Crazy wrote:posting that topic while lurking in this game was stupid, and yes, it's anti-town. But is it scummy?
There's not many conclusions to be drawn from it. If he's town, he deserves to be beaten with a blunt object for stating in Mafia Discussion during this game that the exact action he's doing is counter-productive to the town winning.

He's either scum or an idiot. I see no other conclusions from his actions.
Crazy wrote:why would scum purposefully lurk? The only reason would be to fly under the radar.
I don't think that's necessarily true. He could be trying to kill momentum in the game, to have it drag on and piss people off and make town more likely to be apathetic in who they lynch.

But I agree the main reason is to fly under the radar, and he sidestepped that with his opening antics.
Crazy wrote:But if Mastin is lurking in this game for strategic reasons, that means he lied in Mafia Discussion
Eh, that's a bit of a false dichotomy. His argument is that people lurk regardless of alignment. I agree with this. However, he doesn't really address the reasons for each side to lurk. Namely, that town has no reason while scum do. He could sincerely believe his argument in Mafia Discussion and still lurk strategically in this game.
orangepenguin wrote:While I agree with everyone you said, I am getting a extremely bad vibe from this post. I don't know how to explain it, but the fact that you're voting based on something out-of-thread just seems... opportunistic? Not sure if that is the best way to describe it. But I do agree that what he is doing is scummy, but maybe he has a reason for what he did? Also, you said town about 100 times in that post, making you a bit desperate to sound town. I don't know.
Jesus, what a weak post. You went from "agree with everything I say" to "extremely bad vibe" to "agree it's scummy" to "desperate to sound town" to "I don't know". It's like a converging sine curve (I'm a math major, I can't help it.). What reasons are there for making a post like that other trying to cast suspicion on me while trying to allay me at the same time?
ZazieR
ZazieR
Jack of All Trades
ZazieR
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #383 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:49 am

Post by ZazieR »

Will get to the last posts soon. Have to leave soon.
But I want Flava to say how his behaviour was different in Open 146 than in Poof!
Ignore the ''R''
Netlava
Netlava
Mafia Scum
Netlava
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #384 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:44 am

Post by Netlava »

yabbaguy wrote:[Hero's] also been stepping up as he goes along. Scumtells initially were that he... (omitted)
I don't think that an improvement later in the game overrides scummy play earlier in the game. If I see what I think is a scumtell, then that scumtell is always going to hold true throughout the entire game. If I change my mind on the said scumtell, then that's because I had a misread on what I perceived as scummy. When a scummy player steps up as the game goes along, he could be simply dropping fewer scumtells. That doesn't make earlier scumtells that he dropped any less valid.
yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #385 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:21 am

Post by yabbaguy »

@Chaos-382: No. Accelerate discussion. Don't accelerate the end of the Day.

Think about this. Cephrir's replacement is still in the air. We have a fresh vantage point possibly coming into this game if someone does so. To deny ourselves a wealth of information that make our D1 lynch any more informed is incredibly anti-town. That combined with any catch-up posts made should really set off a lot of much-needed fireworks. A lynch is NOT going to make the lurkers any more or less scummy, as we've denied them the chance to talk and provide info/drop scumtells before we decided on a lynch.

And also, I don't support either big wagon at present. Falk has spewed nothing but contentless posts, and lurked. I really want him lynched over either of the others. Look at his posts. They've been absolutely detached from the game, always manages to find one miniscule point in a sea of hundred, and has been generally contentless all game. That's lurkerscum.

I don't know how to phrase it otherwise, but your strategy is not a good way to deal with lurkers. Give everyone the chance to talk. We lose
NOTHING
by taking the time we have.

@Netlava-384: Awkwardly worded post on my end. What I meant to say was that somehow, pro-town play tends to dilute the scumtells. While you're right, the fact they dropped a scumtell is fact, pro-town intentions can dilute them further.

Your points on Hero are interesting, though, and I really want Hero to get over here and reply to them.

yGDB
(meta + commentary)

Netlava
Netlava
Mafia Scum
Netlava
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #386 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:30 am

Post by Netlava »

I think at this point we should lynch falko, not wait for him.
yabbaguy wrote:What I meant to say was that somehow, pro-town play tends to dilute the scumtells.
I think pro-town play doesn't dilute scumtells.
ChaosOmega
ChaosOmega
Mafia Scum
ChaosOmega
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #387 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:47 am

Post by ChaosOmega »

yabbaguy wrote:No. Accelerate discussion. Don't accelerate the end of the Day.
Accelerating the end of the day would accelerate discussion the next day. As for accelerating discussion without the day ending, that's really not going to happen. Deadline's in 10 days, and you're talking about replacements coming in and providing new views to help us. Why wouldn't it help us day 2? If you're expecting someone to replace in, read the game, and make interesting points from a fresh point of view which would cause a different bandwagon to form within these 10 days is incredibly unlikely.
yabbaguy wrote:A lynch is NOT going to make the lurkers any more or less scummy, as we've denied them the chance to talk and provide info/drop scumtells before we decided on a lynch.
Uh...k? I don't really see how this is in any way related to what I said.
yabbaguy wrote:I don't know how to phrase it otherwise, but your strategy is not a good way to deal with lurkers. Give everyone the chance to talk.
Everyone had a chance to talk this entire past month, and hell, they'll probably have the majority of these 10 days as well. If you're expecting a bunch of people to start posting these last couple days, though, I have a feeling you're sorely mistaken.
yabbaguy wrote:We lose
NOTHING
by taking the time we have.
We lose interest. The desire to lynch scum is slowly replaced by the desire to lynch anyone just to end the day. In an abstract, the thought of having an excessive amount of time for everyone to post a bunch of information and analyze everything to really get a bead on the scum sounds like a good plan, but there's a diminishing return of sorts, which is the factor of people giving a shit. Days that go on longer than 3 weeks start to bore me, because there's no need for that much discussion. And it's showing in this thread. People are talking less, people continually say they'll catch up but don't post any more actual content. I don't see the need for this day to go on any longer.
yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #388 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:03 am

Post by yabbaguy »

@CO-387: If fresh vantage points weigh in, our choice for a D1 lynch may change. We might save ourselves from a mislynch. That's a huge difference.

Reminder, I came in and spit out a PLBPLA less than an hour after I read everything. There were fewer pages, but surely it wouldn't take much longer that for the next guy. I can't vouch for whoever replaces, but I'd much rather wait this out, and continue to play in the meantime.

I think I wouldn't be mistaken if this town was playing optimally and posting as regularly as they should be. What ticks me off is that the prevailing wagons don't line up with my prevailing suspect list. Noramp tilts newbtown, and Hero, well, I get town vibes from as well.

However, what hurts about people lurking is that their vote isn't going to change, and this alarms me, because there could very well be disgust from how long this is taking. However, this is weak townie play, as there are still legitimate questions I want answered, people I want to hear talk NOW before the lynch happens.

I think a greater wealth of discussion would take place if people got in some last-minute posts before this Day ended. I acknowledge the Night's actions will point us in a better direction, but I think there's something to be said for at least requesting we get last minute discussion.

Maybe my strategy doesn't work with such a weak town. And the lurking is weak town play.

---

@NL-386: That sounded like voting intent. Or are you just comparing that you'd rather have the insta-lynch over the discussion?

yGDB
(meta + commentary)

Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #389 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:46 pm

Post by Drench »

The Fourteenth Vote Count: "Jungle Ticken-Tocken"
Noramp
- 4 - Crazy, orangepenguin, ZazieR, Hero764
yabbaguy
Flava Flave
- 1 - Noramp
Mastin
- 1 - ChaosOmega
ZazieR
orangepenguin

Crazy
falkomagno
- 1 - yabbaguy
Netlava
ChaosOmega
Cephrir

Hero764
- 5 - falkomagno, molestargazer, Mastin, Cephrir, Flava Flave

Not Voting:

If you see any discrepancies, please let me know.

falko and Mastin are prodded.

Deadline is 9:15am on the 18th of August, GMT+10.
join your union
Mastin
Mastin
She/Her
Unabridged
Mastin
She/Her
Unabridged
Unabridged
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #390 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:45 pm

Post by Mastin »

I've been V/LA. Sick with a relapse of the flu. (Nasty stuff. >_<) Only now just got well enough to post today.
I'm back! Well, kind-of.
No Access on Weekends
. :/
Advid reader/contributor to MD, as I'm far better in theory than I am in reality. :P

True to my word, I'm retiring. Totally not me. :P
Mastin
Mastin
She/Her
Unabridged
Mastin
She/Her
Unabridged
Unabridged

Post Post #391 (ISO) » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:57 pm

Post by Mastin »

OP wrote:Found three mafia? No, you didn't! You suspect three people as mafia, you didn't find anything yet! Unless you have proof, or unless we lynch them, then you haven't found them. You could be right, it's possible. But I don't agree.
Well, you're free to disagree, then, but I think that Hero, Flave, and Cephir are the mafia, and that Falko and Noramp are the Werewolves.
Yabba wrote:Change: orangepenguin >>> tilting scummy

@OP-325: First off, if I had it my way, I would lynch a werewolf, because they're the ones who are actually picking off the town.
Odd, that you point this out from OP, but not from me. I said something similar--
That I'd want to see one Mafia member dead, and then hunt for Werewolves, because Mafia start out with three (a larger threat) and then when they get two or less, the Werewolves are agreed upon by everyone to be the largest threat.

Why'd you notice this from OP, but not Me?
Yabba wrote:Secondly, the only possible way you can tell mafia from werewolf on D1 is if you can somehow identify how many people are affiliating themselves with a specific scumgroup (2 or 3).
This is why Hero-Flava-Ceph is the mafia team, and Noramp-Falko is the Wolf team. One's three, the other's two.

Hmm...assuming this math is correct, though, I will have to reevaluate my beliefs, then...
Crazy wrote:Mastin is just overexaggerating his scum-hunting ability...
If you say so... :roll:

Odd, this seems to be exactly what my case on Hero is.
Flava wrote:Heh, at least you agree with me. It's a start.
Scumslip--I said you were both scum, just different types. And you say that I was agreeing with you. That's the main thing in there which I could agree on you with.
Chaos wrote:Unbelievable.
It's not, okay? Lurking's not a scum tell; I'll defend that point to my death. I've been accused of lurking in EVERY single one of my games. I've been lynched for lurking. No, I am not scum in most of them, or even a majority of them; rather the opposite, I've been town in most of 'em.
Chaos wrote: You have the balls to post in Mafia Discussion about how lurking isn't a scumtell while lurking in this game.
:lol:
Well, it isn't a scum tell. See my posts in that thread, and tell me that you think I don't believe what I say when I say it isn't.
Chaos wrote:And you can give me your bullshit "Oh, it's a null tell for me because everything's a null tell for me, blah blah blah", I don't care.
Oh, yes I can, yes I will, because it's not a scum tell.

Scummy? Heck yes, it's scummy. It definitely makes me look worse, makes me appear to be just that much closer to being scum.

But a scum tell? Something done more often by scum than town?
Heck. F-ing. No.
I'm working on statistics for this matter. Slowly but surely, I want to prove lurking isn't a scum tell, once and for all.
What I've Got So Far wrote:Mafia 10

Prodded: 1 (cuban smoker iso, only names given as prodded count as prodded)
Town: 0
Scum: 1

Replaced: 10
Town: 8
Scum: 2

Mafia 12

Prodded: 1 (Dragon Slayer iso, only names given as prodded count as prodded)
Scum: 1

Replaced: 9
Town: 7
Scum: 2

Mafia 13

Prodded: 0 (Corsato iso, only names given as prodded count as prodded)
Scum: 0

Replaced: 10
Town: 7
Scum: 3

Mafia 14 (Abandoned.)
Prods: 0

Replaced: 2
Alignments unknown.
Shows that Town players get replaced far more often than scum thusfar.
Chaos wrote:Stop right here. You agree that lurking is anti-town. This means that lurking hurts the town. Now, if you're hurting the town, you're helping the scum (and werewolves in this case).
Of course it's anti-town.
But it's NOT pro-scum, Chaos.
It's anti-game. It hurts the game. Meaning it's anti-town, anti-scum, anti-faction, anti-mod, anti-players, anti-everything.

...But not a scum tell.

Like I said in there.
The best way to deal with lurking is to just stop lurking.
And that happens EVENTUALLY. If you just give it time.
I've stopped lurking, now, haven't I?
The key?
Just a little patience.
Proof of concept, this game.
Lurkers stop lurking eventually.
[/end ramble]
Chaos wrote: The point of being a pro-town role is to do pro-town things.
No, the point of being pro-town is to kill all non-town alignment players. Nothing else matters; that's what the game is at its core.
Yabba wrote:@Mastin: Why did you decide to post the topic in Mafia Discussion? Did an event in some game prompt you to get this message across?
Helpful hint,
If I post it in MD, chances are I'm ticked off at certain players' reactions to me in games where I'm dead. Like, "I'm never playing with Mastin again", "Mastin showed no devotion to the game", "I'm disappointed Mastin chose not to contribute", "Mastin is a CR*censored* Player", etc.

Yup, guess what happened just before I posted that topic? (Okay, I was dead a while, but still...)
Chaos wrote:He's either scum or an idiot.
Nice personal attack, Chaos.

Don't get me wrong. I still have a town read on Chaos. (Due to my scum reads on five other players, mainly.) But statements like this are incredibly scummy.
Chaos wrote: He could be trying to kill momentum in the game, to have it drag on and piss people off and make town more likely to be apathetic in who they lynch.
Accusations like this tick me off to no end. The only thing worse is accusing me of abusing my status as an experienced player in a Newbie Game.
Chaos wrote:Eh, that's a bit of a false dichotomy. His argument is that people lurk regardless of alignment. I agree with this. However, he doesn't really address the reasons for each side to lurk. Namely, that town has no reason while scum do. He could sincerely believe his argument in Mafia Discussion and still lurk strategically in this game.
OGML pointed out a rather neat fact:

My huge posts that I do, regardless of alignment, benefit me more when I'm scum than when I'm town. Does that mean that I do it deliberately? Nope, not really, it's just coincidence.
I have reasons to post my huge posts as scum, more than when I'm town, but do it regardless of alignment. Heck, my title-to-be is based off of that habit of mine.

This is no different.

Scum might have reasons to lurk, more than town does, but it doesn't mean that they're doing it deliberately, and most likely, will do it regardless of alignment.

Don't make me repeat my conclusion ten times over again. Lurking's anti-game, not a scum tell, and should be dealt with via patience, not lynching.

Okay, caught up.
I'm back! Well, kind-of.
No Access on Weekends
Advid reader/contributor to MD, as I'm far better in theory than I am in reality. :P

yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #392 (ISO) » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:35 pm

Post by yabbaguy »

Mastin, a great pleasure to have you back.

@Mastin-391: I think beyond just missing the post, I don't think there's much more of a reason I can provide beyond simple misreading. You posted that while I wasn't in the game, right?

Mastin, however, has hit a nail right on the head. If you wait for the lurkers to stop lurking, they will come out with all they can, as shown here, and now we have a fresh vantage point to analyze. There's a deadline 7:15 PM EDT on 8/17, but that's plenty of time for the lurkers to stop lurking. THIS is conversation starting up. We don't need a lynch and a nightkill to start up conversation. It will happen. It can wait.

In the meantime, does anyone disagree with the point that falk has been provided nothing, and lurked all game, whilst posting elsewhere? I really think he's the most suspect. I think there's something to be said for that, not posting here while posting elsewhere, and having contentless posts up to this point.

Has falkomagno picked up his new prod?

yGDB
(meta + commentary)

orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #393 (ISO) » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:59 pm

Post by orangepenguin »

ChaosOmega wrote:
orangepenguin wrote:While I agree with everyone you said, I am getting a extremely bad vibe from this post. I don't know how to explain it, but the fact that you're voting based on something out-of-thread just seems... opportunistic? Not sure if that is the best way to describe it. But I do agree that what he is doing is scummy, but maybe he has a reason for what he did? Also, you said town about 100 times in that post, making you a bit desperate to sound town. I don't know.
Jesus, what a weak post. You went from "agree with everything I say" to "extremely bad vibe" to "agree it's scummy" to "desperate to sound town" to "I don't know". It's like a converging sine curve (I'm a math major, I can't help it.). What reasons are there for making a post like that other trying to cast suspicion on me while trying to allay me at the same time?
Life is like a sine wave, they say. Anyways.. it's not a weak post. Basically, I read the post, thought it was scummy. Yes, it has good points - scum have those sometime (plus this game has mult. factions, anyways), but I see scum all the time play very pro-town and run off towards a victory. I don't think you're that pro-town, though, but the point still is there. Those very players try so hard to pass themselves as town, that its pathetic. I see the same sort of thing from you.

What reasons were there for making a post? Because I thought it was suspicious. I pointed it out. I wasn't trying to allay you though, so whatever.
Netlava
Netlava
Mafia Scum
Netlava
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #394 (ISO) » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:42 pm

Post by Netlava »

Mastin, your stats won't be accurate because they don't differentiate between inactivity and lurking.
yabbaguy wrote:@NL-386: That sounded like voting intent. Or are you just comparing that you'd rather have the insta-lynch over the discussion?
Falko? Discussion? Somehow I don't see that happening. Falko hasn't read the thread at all. Plus, he's been scummy. If Hero flips mafia, then I say just lynch 'em D2 unless we're going specifically for a ww lynch. No need to lose time and patience waiting for him.

I see your points on falko, but I don't think he's going to get lynched today. Hero's a good choice though, imo.
Mastin
Mastin
She/Her
Unabridged
Mastin
She/Her
Unabridged
Unabridged

Post Post #395 (ISO) » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:49 pm

Post by Mastin »

Yabba wrote:@Mastin-391: I think beyond just missing the post, I don't think there's much more of a reason I can provide beyond simple misreading. You posted that while I wasn't in the game, right?
I thought it was the post before, actually. The last thing I said before I vanished, if I recall correctly.
Yabba wrote:Mastin, however, has hit a nail right on the head. If you wait for the lurkers to stop lurking, they will come out with all they can, as shown here, and now we have a fresh vantage point to analyze.
Aye. This is my approach to lurkers. I think that my rules for lurkers should be something like the following:

-Prods will be given every 72 hours. (Standard stuff.)
-If someone doesn't respond to a prod within 48 hours, they will be replaced. (Standard stuff, although some have the limit lower.)
-If they pick it up, but don't post, give them another 48 hours to post. (Generous to those who don't have the time to respond to a prod.)
-If they respond, but don't post, give them another 48 hours. Reduce the time to the next prod by 12 hours. (Helps ensure that they post something, instead of just talking to the mod a lot.)
-If they respond, and post in-thread, but don't post content, reduce the time to the next prod 12 hours. (Deals with active lurking.)
-If they constantly respond, and post in-thread, but don't post content, give them a warning for inactivity. (Constantly is at least three times. Up to mod discretion.) Explain to them that they have not been contributing, are ruining the game, and if they don't contribute by the time of their next prod, force replace them.
-If warning is not heeded by the time of the next prod, force-replace them for inactivity.
-If the warning is heeded and sufficient content is posted, reset all counters, start from the above.
------
It's a bit longer, but I think it has the potential to deal with all lurking problems.
-It deals with V/LA's, giving gracious periods of time.
-It deals with the fact that people hate being replaced after XX prods/XX prods in one day.
-It deals with lurking in such a way that's generous, but will still deal with them.
-Gets rid of active lurking.

Heck, if faced with this ruleset, I'd definitely comply. After a test game or two with this ruleset, and if it works out well, I'd encourage others to use it as well. I think it has serious potential for permanently dealing with lurkers.

Feedback? :)
I'm back! Well, kind-of.
No Access on Weekends

Mastin
Mastin
She/Her
Unabridged
Mastin
She/Her
Unabridged
Unabridged

Post Post #396 (ISO) » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:52 pm

Post by Mastin »

Netlava wrote:Mastin, your stats won't be accurate because they don't differentiate between inactivity and lurking.
What I do IS inactivity, Netlava. I don't actively follow along when I'm 'lurking'. I'm just inactive. It's incredibly anti-town, but not a scum tell.
Most people's definition of lurking would still call my inactivity lurking, though.

The stats would be accurate enough.
I'm back! Well, kind-of.
No Access on Weekends

ChaosOmega
ChaosOmega
Mafia Scum
ChaosOmega
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #397 (ISO) » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:47 pm

Post by ChaosOmega »

Mastin wrote:It's not, okay? Lurking's not a scum tell; I'll defend that point to my death. I've been accused of lurking in EVERY single one of my games. I've been lynched for lurking. No, I am not scum in most of them, or even a majority of them; rather the opposite, I've been town in most of 'em.
Now, there are two ways you could go about this. You could bitch in Mafia Discussion, tell everyone willing to listen that lurking isn't a scumtell, and not change your playstyle. Or, you could not lurk in all of your games, which you readily admit is very antitown to do, and instead post more, where you then wouldn't draw any flak for lurking.
Mastin wrote:Well, it isn't a scum tell. See my posts in that thread, and tell me that you think I don't believe what I say when I say it isn't.
The fact that you believe it doesn't mean that much to me.
Mastin wrote:Oh, yes I can, yes I will, because it's not a scum tell.

Scummy? Heck yes, it's scummy. It definitely makes me look worse, makes me appear to be just that much closer to being scum.

But a scum tell? Something done more often by scum than town?
Heck. F-ing. No.
I'm working on statistics for this matter. Slowly but surely, I want to prove lurking isn't a scum tell, once and for all.
The main problem with all this is that you don't see it is a concern that you're performing scummy actions in your games, you'd rather compile a bunch of statistics to make a point. It doesn't help that your statistics don't take into account the people who just skirt by in games, avoiding prods and replacement but not posting much in the way of content.
Mastin wrote:Of course it's anti-town.
But it's NOT pro-scum, Chaos.
It's anti-game. It hurts the game. Meaning it's anti-town, anti-scum, anti-faction, anti-mod, anti-players, anti-everything.

...But not a scum tell.

Like I said in there.
The best way to deal with lurking is to just stop lurking.
And that happens EVENTUALLY. If you just give it time.
I've stopped lurking, now, haven't I?
The key?
Just a little patience.
Proof of concept, this game.
Lurkers stop lurking eventually.
[/end ramble]
Lurking hurts the scum? You're delusional. Seeing town lurk is beautiful for scum, it's less input for the town to find scum, it's a target for the scum to frame a mislynch. And if scum can skate by without suspicion with lurking, they stay alive in the game without presenting much information to incriminate them with.

Yeah, you've stopped lurking, for now. That's not to say you won't just do it again in a week or so.
Mastin wrote:No, the point of being pro-town is to kill all non-town alignment players. Nothing else matters; that's what the game is at its core.
That's the objective of being pro-town. The method is by not doing scummy things and finding people who do.
Mastin wrote:Nice personal attack, Chaos.

Don't get me wrong. I still have a town read on Chaos. (Due to my scum reads on five other players, mainly.) But statements like this are incredibly scummy.
Who cares? If you're making the argument about how something that is really scummy isn't a scumtell, then why the hell should I care if you call my actions scummy?
Mastin wrote:Accusations like this tick me off to no end. The only thing worse is accusing me of abusing my status as an experienced player in a Newbie Game.
Why, is it true? You didn't really defend yourself there at all, you just said it upset you.
Mastin wrote:My huge posts that I do, regardless of alignment, benefit me more when I'm scum than when I'm town. Does that mean that I do it deliberately? Nope, not really, it's just coincidence.
I have reasons to post my huge posts as scum, more than when I'm town, but do it regardless of alignment. Heck, my title-to-be is based off of that habit of mine.
Then change your posting style. If you're town, your posting style should be conducive to helping the town win. That "habit of yours" is bad play.
Mastin wrote:Scum might have reasons to lurk, more than town does, but it doesn't mean that they're doing it deliberately, and most likely, will do it regardless of alignment.
Uh...no. If scum have reasons to lurk, then they will do it deliberately. Maybe not all the time, but they will. Town has zero reason to lurk. You can then split lurkers into two categories, those that do it deliberately, and those that will do it regardless of alignment. The first category holds a higher ratio of scum to town than in normal games, while the second is even. Therefore, lurkers are more likely to be scum than town.
Mastin wrote:Don't make me repeat my conclusion ten times over again.
Oh please, for the love of sweet baby Jesus, don't.
Mastin wrote:Feedback?
Sure. This has no relevance to this game and would be better served in Mafia Discussion.
orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #398 (ISO) » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:11 pm

Post by orangepenguin »

Mastin wrote:
Netlava wrote:Mastin, your stats won't be accurate because they don't differentiate between inactivity and lurking.
What I do IS inactivity, Netlava. I don't actively follow along when I'm 'lurking'. I'm just inactive. It's incredibly anti-town, but not a scum tell.
Most people's definition of lurking would still call my inactivity lurking, though.

The stats would be accurate enough.
Lurking and inactivity aren't the same thing. Lurking is being active yet not posting, hence the lurking wordage. Inactivity is when you aren't posting and not active.

---

Of course, CO ignores my response. Maybe a little close to the truth ?
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #399 (ISO) » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:25 pm

Post by Drench »

yabbaguy wrote:
Has falkomagno picked up his new prod?
Not yet. I am required to wait 48 hours before taking action.
join your union

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”