Newbie 792--Mafia Island ~ Mafia win!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:16 am

Post by Papa Zito »

Thesp wrote:
Papa Zito wrote:I'm starting to think we'll need a random bandwagon to get anywhere.
Why does it have to be random? (From some responses, I've already garnered at least one person whom I think is more likely to be town than scum. I suspect with a couple more questions, I'll get some more negative readings.) On that note...
You're doing better than I am, then. I'm a tad frustrated that I haven't gotten any real reads yet. Hence, random.
Thesp wrote:
Papa Zito wrote:Random bandwagons are good for adding pressure. Adding pressure is good to ferret out info.
How useful do you think a random bandwagon is?
It's a tool. Tools are useful.

We could all massclaim instead? lulz I'm open to whatever gets this game moving.
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Wickedestjr
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:17 am

Post by Wickedestjr »

@Darkstrike_11 - I don't really understand how talking about our tactics would cause us to confirm after everybody else and in the same day. I didn't think mafia could even talk to eachother during the day, and even if they did I'm sure they wouldn't spend the whole day talking to each other instead of confirming to the game they were talking to each other about. Does that make sense?

@Thesp - Why the random vote? Well, the whole point of my first few posts lately has been to make observations about other players and how they react to things. Does that make sense?

@tracker - You say you've only played mafia twice. Not that I think this will happen, but if we were to decide to lynch you because nobody seemed scummy and we knew you were inexperienced, what would you say in reply? What do you mean when you say you still don't know how to play as town?

@Agar - You say you will be abstaining from random voting, so how will you be contributing to this conversation?
Darkstrike_11
Darkstrike_11
Goon
Darkstrike_11
Goon
Goon

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:28 am

Post by Darkstrike_11 »

Thesp wrote:I've probably played somewhere shy of 50 face-to-face games. I know when I'm scum in those, I have to resist giggling more. If you get the chance to play in real life, it can be really awesome (with the correct crowd).
True dat. Face to face mafia is sooooo much better than forum mafia!
Tracker wrote:Darkstrike, are you playing connect the dots, without dots?
nope cos that would be drawing lines on an empty piece of paper. Don't be silly.
Wicekdwsfjhmfsjr wrote:@Darkstrike_11 - I don't really understand how talking about our tactics would cause us to confirm after everybody else and in the same day. I didn't think mafia could even talk to eachother during the day, and even if they did I'm sure they wouldn't spend the whole day talking to each other instead of confirming to the game they were talking to each other about. Does that make sense?
No. As I'm sure you know, mafia can talk via a secret thread before confirmation. Once they have confirmed, they can't talk until night. Thus a late confirmation would give you a long time to talk tactics before your mafia-mafia communication ends.
Papa Zito wrote:We could all massclaim instead? lulz I'm open to whatever gets this game moving.
what would that achieve?
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:36 am

Post by Thesp »

Wickedestjr wrote:@Thesp - Why the random vote? Well, the whole point of my first few posts lately has been to make observations about other players and how they react to things. Does that make sense?
How often do people usefully react to a random vote? (Or even a random bandwagon?)

I am enjoying Darkstrike_11's presence in the game. Wickedstjr and Boxman, please don't nightkill him, it would make me sad.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
MiteyMouse
MiteyMouse
He's too nICe
MiteyMouse
He's too nICe
He's too nICe

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:47 am

Post by MiteyMouse »

Wickedestjr wrote: @tracker - You say you've only played mafia twice. Not that I think this will happen, but if we were to decide to lynch you because nobody seemed scummy and we knew you were inexperienced, what would you say in reply?
This question really bothers me! Why would we look at lynching someone based on experience in a
game? That would be perhaps, the least Pro Town thing we could possibly do.

Papa...I was just giving my take on the comment from Boxman. I wasn't answering for him at all.

I think that it would be interesting to find out how many games (if any) we have all played. Could everyone please answer that?

I have played in...well...a lot. I am an IC here but, not for this game.
The more I see, the less I know
The more I'd like to let it go.
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:53 am

Post by Papa Zito »

Darkstrike_11 wrote:
Papa Zito wrote:We could all massclaim instead? lulz I'm open to whatever gets this game moving.
what would that achieve?
...getting the game moving?

I've never been involved in a massclaim before, though I've read a couple games where that's happened. I've never seen it in a Newbie game. I wonder what would happen.

Anyway, I'm trying to convey that I'm unhappy with our current pace, and open to whatever will get us to a faster clip.
Kappa
Just Monika
Wickedestjr
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:55 am

Post by Wickedestjr »

@Darkstrike_11 - I was not aware that mafia had that privelige, but even if they did, there is no knowing when they would end their conversation. Maybe they wouldn't talk to each other at all before the game. Then they could suspect the last people to confirm. But however, knowing this, citizens might suspect the people that were first to confirm for this reason. Knowing this, the mafia might be last to confirm on purpose. Have you heard of WIFOM? This is a great example.

@Thesp - You seem to think that me and Boxman are mafia. Care to give your reasoning?
MiteyMouse
MiteyMouse
He's too nICe
MiteyMouse
He's too nICe
He's too nICe

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:56 am

Post by MiteyMouse »

Papa...I have played quite a few of the newbie games here and have to say that the pace on this one is one of the fastest that I've seen.

As to a mass claim, I don't think that's a good idea at this point. It might be something to look into later in the game but, right now, all it will do is out our roles and we don't want that at all!
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:56 am

Post by Papa Zito »

MiteyMouse wrote:Papa...I was just giving my take on the comment from Boxman. I wasn't answering for him at all.
ORLY? Because it sure looks like you said out a nice little excuse that he could just pick up and say "yeah this".
MiteyMouse wrote:I think that it would be interesting to find out how many games (if any) we have all played. Could everyone please answer that?
I've only finished one. I'm dead in three other games that are ongoing at the moment.
Kappa
Just Monika
MiteyMouse
MiteyMouse
He's too nICe
MiteyMouse
He's too nICe
He's too nICe

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:02 am

Post by MiteyMouse »

Papa Zito wrote:
MiteyMouse wrote:Papa...I was just giving my take on the comment from Boxman. I wasn't answering for him at all.
ORLY? Because it sure looks like you said out a nice little excuse that he could just pick up and say "yeah this".
Not to get all meta here but, you of all people know that I'm not fond of in thread coaching...that is what you are implying, is it not? And if I was to coach in thread, it would be far more subtle...again, you know this!
Khelvaster
Khelvaster
Mafia Scum
Khelvaster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:05 am

Post by Khelvaster »

And the second votecount:

tracker(1): Indigo Heron;

Wickedestjr(2): Darkstrike, Mitey Mouse
Lag actually does exist in real life. For proof, look no further than Jesus: When he died, it took him three *days* to respawn.
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:14 am

Post by Papa Zito »

MiteyMouse wrote:
Papa Zito wrote:
Not to get all meta here but, you of all people know that I'm not fond of in thread coaching...that is what you are implying, is it not? And if I was to coach in thread, it would be far more subtle...again, you know this!
No, not implying coaching. Coaching would be more along the lines of "Well, if Boxman were scum, he would probably say something like x here." What you did is provide a defense for him.

In your opinion, which is more valuable:
- A player defending against an attack directly against him/her; or
- A player defending another player.
Kappa
Just Monika
Boxman
Boxman
Goon
Boxman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:22 am

Post by Boxman »

Zito, that was a joke post. Thesp asked me a question and I saw an excellent opportunity for a little joke. That's all.

Heck, I thought it was a pretty obvious joke, considering Thesp's question left no room for me
not
to be Mafia...
Show
Currently Playing:
Super uPick
Mini 894 - Vortex Mafia

Currently Modding:
Mini 885 - Mafia in the Village (need 2 replacements)
MiteyMouse
MiteyMouse
He's too nICe
MiteyMouse
He's too nICe
He's too nICe

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:24 am

Post by MiteyMouse »

Papa Zito wrote: In your opinion, which is more valuable:
I think that they both have value. A player defending themselves...that is a big part of the game and if someone didn't defend themselves, well then, they're not really playing are they?
A player defending someone else...well, this could be considered buddying (or cuddling as I like to call it) or it could be pointing out something that the accuser did not see.

Both get the players talking and that is always a good thing!
Darkstrike_11
Darkstrike_11
Goon
Darkstrike_11
Goon
Goon

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:32 am

Post by Darkstrike_11 »

Wickedestjr wrote:@Darkstrike_11 - I was not aware that mafia had that privelige, but even if they did, there is no knowing when they would end their conversation. Maybe they wouldn't talk to each other at all before the game. Then they could suspect the last people to confirm. But however, knowing this, citizens might suspect the people that were first to confirm for this reason. Knowing this, the mafia might be last to confirm on purpose. Have you heard of WIFOM? This is a great example.
hehehe oh WIFOM, WIFOM, why the fuck do people keep talking about WIFOM. I know of it, but it annoys me to think about it. Well, it doesnt HELP to think of it when trying to catch scum. I should imagine that Mafia members LOVE to talk about WIFOM, because it is an excuse which has no response. It usually ends for me in an estimation of the player's intelligence, and whether they would actually be clever enough to do something WIFOMy.

As I said before, I'm not entirely sure about this set of evidence. I was half hoping for someone else to tell me that I was talking rubbish, thankyou tracker. It's just convenient that the two of you were late to confirm, then did so relatively quickly. What was interesting was that I almost gave you an excuse when I first posted this idea, that you could have responded to the prod. You haven't said that, only that you were late to come to the game. That's all I know about this.
Papa Zito wrote:Anyway, I'm trying to convey that I'm unhappy with our current pace, and open to whatever will get us to a faster clip.
I would love the game to be faster as well. I'd love to be on here while people constantly post to distract me from the spiders procreating on top of my desk. Ewww...

However, I wouldn't want to do something which would ruin the game. What I'm trying to say is that patience is a virtue, and we shouldn't be quick to do something stupid or mislynch just to move the game along. Unless you want to?
Mitey Mouse wrote:I think that it would be interesting to find out how many games (if any) we have all played. Could everyone please answer that?
This is my second ever forum game. I'm currently in an open game called Sickening Pimplicity, which is on day one. Check it out, its quite interesting.

A question for all players: Why does the spider on my desk get more action than me? Your answers will be carefully examined for scumtells.

nah sillyness aside, how about everyone posts a FOS? It's not a vote, but it gives everyone something to think about. It will almost definately generate discussion. My FOS is on Wickedestjr, cos I'm already voting for him and have given my reasons.
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:38 am

Post by Papa Zito »

Boxman wrote:Zito, that was a joke post. Thesp asked me a question and I saw an excellent opportunity for a little joke. That's all.

Heck, I thought it was a pretty obvious joke, considering Thesp's question left no room for me
not
to be Mafia...
Sure, sure, joke post. Sigh.

OR it was scum thumbing his nose at the town, amirite? One of those things where you can point back to it in the post game and say "I even TOLD you guys I was scum lol".
Kappa
Just Monika
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:43 am

Post by Papa Zito »

Darkstrike_11 wrote:
Papa Zito wrote:Anyway, I'm trying to convey that I'm unhappy with our current pace, and open to whatever will get us to a faster clip.
I would love the game to be faster as well. [1]I'd love to be on here while people constantly post to distract me from the spiders procreating on top of my desk. Ewww...

However, I wouldn't want to do something which would ruin the game. [2]What I'm trying to say is that patience is a virtue, and we shouldn't be quick to do something stupid or mislynch just to move the game along. Unless you want to?
1. Spiders are cool. You should put up a book or something to give them some privacy. They probably get more action than you because you have more refined tastes. Quality over quantity right? Right? No? Oh.
2. That was a hugely scummy statement. I'm asking for more content and you insinuate I'm wanting to mislynch someone.
Kappa
Just Monika
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:46 am

Post by Papa Zito »

Triple post! Note: I do this a lot to keep conversations separate. Makes it easy for people to go back and reference things.
MiteyMouse wrote:
Papa Zito wrote: In your opinion, which is more valuable:
I think that they both have value. A player defending themselves...that is a big part of the game and if someone didn't defend themselves, well then, they're not really playing are they?
A player defending someone else...well, this could be considered buddying (or cuddling as I like to call it) or it could be pointing out something that the accuser did not see.

Both get the players talking and that is always a good thing!
First, arguing with Mitey sucks. :(

Second, help me see the value of defending? I'm missing it.

Also, you've hit on one concern, erm, cuddling. (lol) But you missed another, that of an experienced partner defending a less experienced one.
Kappa
Just Monika
Boxman
Boxman
Goon
Boxman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:59 am

Post by Boxman »

*sigh*
I'd like to know why I got the only question that could lead to someone actually thinking I was serious. :(
Show
Currently Playing:
Super uPick
Mini 894 - Vortex Mafia

Currently Modding:
Mini 885 - Mafia in the Village (need 2 replacements)
Wickedestjr
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:37 am

Post by Wickedestjr »

Darkstrike_11 wrote: As I said before, I'm not entirely sure about this set of evidence. I was half hoping for someone else to tell me that I was talking rubbish, thankyou tracker. It's just convenient that the two of you were late to confirm, then did so relatively quickly. What was interesting was that I almost gave you an excuse when I first posted this idea, that you could have responded to the prod. You haven't said that, only that you were late to come to the game. That's all I know about this.
It could always be a coincidence as to us quickly confirming after getting a prod. Who knows, maybe the timezones we live in are very close. I forgot that I joined this game until I got the prod. I just don't understand why you are suspecting me most out of all the people in this game. Even if I was saving some time before the game discussing tactics, that doesn't mean we will necessarily have our confirmations in the same day.

Darkstrike_11 wrote:we shouldn't be quick to do something stupid or mislynch just to move the game along. Unless you want to?
What?!? I don't know what to make of this.

Until you explain that second quote...

Vote: Darkstrike_11
Wickedestjr
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:42 am

Post by Wickedestjr »

MiteyMouse wrote:
Wickedestjr wrote: @tracker - You say you've only played mafia twice. Not that I think this will happen, but if we were to decide to lynch you because nobody seemed scummy and we knew you were inexperienced, what would you say in reply?
This question really bothers me! Why would we look at lynching someone based on experience in a
game? That would be perhaps, the least Pro Town thing we could possibly do.
Ahem --> "Not that I think this will happen."

It is just a question. I wanted to see what his answer was. I'm making observations.
MiteyMouse
MiteyMouse
He's too nICe
MiteyMouse
He's too nICe
He's too nICe

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:03 am

Post by MiteyMouse »

Darkstrike, I did not realize that you had pointed some suspicion on me for being late to confirm. This is simple, if you look at my first post in this game, it is asking the Mod to check his PMs. I hadn't gotten my PM and therefore could not confirm my role in the game. I got a Prod and that is how I knew the game had started. I sent a PM saying that I had not gotten my role yet and he sent it to me. After I got my PM, I confirmed that I had gotten it.
MiteyMouse
MiteyMouse
He's too nICe
MiteyMouse
He's too nICe
He's too nICe

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:10 am

Post by MiteyMouse »

Papa Zito wrote: First, arguing with Mitey sucks. :(

Also, you've hit on one concern, erm, cuddling. (lol) But you missed another, that of an experienced partner defending a less experienced one.
Yeah...I don't like fighting with you either my friend...but it's part of the fun of the game!

Defending (though I'm not sure that that is what I did here) could help to point out something that the accuser did not see. The joke part of his post seemed pretty obvious... You've played with me before, do you really think that if I were Scum with Boxman, that I would tip my hand this early and give us both away?
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:44 am

Post by Papa Zito »

MiteyMouse wrote:
Papa Zito wrote: First, arguing with Mitey sucks. :(

Yeah...I don't like fighting with you either my friend...but it's part of the fun of the game!

Defending (though I'm not sure that that is what I did here) could help to point out something that the accuser did not see. The joke part of his post seemed pretty obvious... You've played with me before, do you really think that if I were Scum with Boxman, that I would tip my hand this early and give us both away?
Sure, I know you wouldn't tip your hand. Of course, you'd know that I'd know you wouldn't tip your hand. Then again, I'd know that you'd know that I'd know that....

What's that called again?

Actually, I'm starting to agree with you on the defending bit, though it's value is not in the original target but in the defender.
Kappa
Just Monika
Darkstrike_11
Darkstrike_11
Goon
Darkstrike_11
Goon
Goon

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:46 am

Post by Darkstrike_11 »

Papa Zito wrote:1. Spiders are cool. You should put up a book or something to give them some privacy. They probably get more action than you because you have more refined tastes. Quality over quantity right? Right? No? Oh.
ouch. I felt that burn like a pissing drunk with Gonorrhea.
Papa Zito wrote:
Darkstrike_11 wrote:What I'm trying to say is that patience is a virtue, and we shouldn't be quick to do something stupid or mislynch just to move the game along. Unless you want to?
That was a hugely scummy statement. I'm asking for more content and you insinuate I'm wanting to mislynch someone.
You weren’t asking for more content, you were asking for a quicker pace to the proceedings. They are different. A quicker pace would help the scum, allowing rapid and ill informed lynches. That we do not like.

However I was wrong to insinuate that you wanted to mislynch. I was just saying that you shouldn’t ask for a more rapid pace, you turned it into an attack. Bit defensive aren’t we. The Unless you want to bit was half jokey anyway, I was hardly expecting you to say “Yes please darks I want to lynch a townie!”

And finally, it is NOT a scummy statement. It is a cynical, possibly paranoid statement, as I assumed the worst about you. It was also as you have proved a misinformed statement. However it wasn't scummy per se.

Wickedestjr wrote:Vote: Darkstrike_11
Oh my god! You suck wickedestjr!

now if only there was an acronym to say that quicker....

Nah I understand why you feel that way. I zoned in on you because I thought you were scum. You feel attacked so you voted me, fair enough. I’m pretty willing to withdraw my vote anyway since the more I think about it the less I think you were talking scum tactics. That was the only piece of evidence I had anyway.

Unvote

I guess my FOS idea went out of the window then…

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”