Mini 167 - Les Miserables Mafia. Game over!

Aelyn
Aelyn
Goon
Aelyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:57 am

Post by Aelyn »

I'm afraid the day seems to be moving verrry slowly. Therefore, I'm going to have to put a provisional deadline on.

Provisional deadline: 72 hours from now (4 pm Wednesday GMT)

If conversation picks up, I may retract this. I don't want this game to die.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:21 am

Post by MeMe »

The lynchee is incredibly obvious -- now get in here and vote EmpTyger.

Paraphrasing:
"Thenardier as mafia? Sounds right"
"I'm Thenardier"
"Um...Just joking!"
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
Changling bob
Changling bob
Goon
Changling bob
Goon
Goon

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:57 am

Post by Changling bob »

Sorry I've been away, but I've been on a trip the last few days and thought I would get internet access. I didn't, obv.

Now I've played up against this kind of thing before, and it really anoys me. It's even turned up in this thread before.

What am I talking about?
EmpTyger [183], May 31, 1:46am wrote:<snip>How does that explain any of your other behavior, any of the points of suspicion that have been raised against you? Let me list them again:

1) At the beginning of the game, you thought Javert was mafia. Later you say that your role leads you to suspect Javert is not mafia.
2) You refuse to answer questions about (1), claiming that you do not wish to reveal details of your role.
2a) You still refuse after your role is revealed.
2b) What you have revealed does not contain any reason for (1) or (2).
3) You adamantly refuse to reveal any details of your role, but unprompted bring up information derived from your role as well as the claim that you are Cosette.
3a) You act though Cosette is so strong a claim that no one should suspect you, yet did not make this claim earlier, when initially pressured about your role.
4) You repeatedly lurk when the game is, according to you, going in the wrong direction. However, you do not attempt to move the direction of the game in another direction.
4a) ...except to attack those who are skeptical of you based on the unanswered (1) through (4).
5) You vote vikingfan immediately after vikingfan unvotes you, announcing that he will test you tonight. If you are telling the truth, why suspect him?
[6) I personally am skeptical of your roleclaim]
[7) I personally am skeptical that the town could be as strong as everyone has thus far claimed] <snip>
And then;
LML [184], May 31, 8:31am wrote:Repeatedly lurk? I went a few days without posting. I promise you, Tyger, I'm one of the leaders in posts in this game.

As for your clarification... and, again, this is just my own rationale...

I decided to re-watch the movie version of Les Mis. A scene in particular that stood out to me was the "Master of the House" scene... the scene in which my role, Cosette, was THENARDIER'S own personal slave...

And no matter what.. no matter how hard they tried, they didn't bring her down too far.

I have not dismissed the fact that Javert may still be Mafia... but I don't know who else would be included...

I am worried, as well, about Marius and the revolution. Look at how the play ended.

We can't have that again.
Wait, what? You get handed a list of critisisms of your play so far, and then almost completly ignore them in the
very next post
, made seven hours later. They're what, invisible or something? Or do you not read what's being posted? Or am I just getting ranty about your play myself? (hint: option 3 is most likely)

Is there any chance you could explain
any
of the points EmpTyger has raised? You tried to answer point 4 about lurking, but failed, as you offer no explanation as to why you gave no input over the couple of days you didn't post, despite the fact that you say that the conversation was going the wrong way. You also have thrown away a line to answer 1, saying you aren't sure. You were pretty sure he was, then that he wasn't. Did you think at all before claiming originally he was scum?

And there's your response to the question I posted about lurking. I listen to what's going on. I also post. These two ideas are not mutually exclusive.

Now the other thing is, you appear to have gone OMGUS mad. I'm
sure
this is bad play. If everyone went arround voting everyone who thought they might be suspicious, we'd never get anywhere. I'm sure one way to stop people from voting you, and to make them think you're less suspicious is to, you know, answer the things they find suspicious about you, especially if they list them out, with numbers, just before you post[/hint]

Now the actual claim, MeMe says she can buy your claim. Logically, yes the way you have posted is a good way to use that role. However,
exactly the same play
could be used by scum to good effect. This, combined with your complete inability to satisfactorially (is that a word?) answer our critisisms of your play is why I don't believe you. My vote sticks on you untill if and when you answer all of EmpTyger's points above.

[/rant]

*takes deep breaths*

LordKrishna: You say that our mason group is probably a whacko. As odd as it may seem, I agree. I have an ability that starts a revolution, and from what I've read about revolutions, they tend to be bloody affairs with plenty of people dying. Someone else pointed out that in the book, when Eponine finds Cosette, she dies. I am (fairly) certain that the abilities we have will probably have negative side effects, especially if we have any other power roles, as town is argueably too powerful.

Mr. Stoofer: Regarding the information you claim to have over which characters may be mafia, I'd like to know how you have this information without being scum yourself. However, considering the current situation (ie, my feelings in the first part of this post), I'll wait for now. I also agree that a character claim now would not be the best thing we could do. The last few posts regarding this have seem reasonable, and neither you nor gootentag (nor MeMe) really seems to be scummy because of this.

Another thought on the power of the town. When people are saying the town is too strong, I assume tat they are taking their own roles into account. If two masons, plus (possibly) an unnightkillable townie are too powerful, this indicates that everyone else is vanilla townie (or scum obviously). Now I'm not asking anyone to say anything about this specifically refering to themselves (ie, don't say "I'm power and I think.." unless you want to), but if there are other power roles, do we consider that there are several vanillas (there's at least one (Seol)), or other powers, or both, or other? Knowing Aelyn, I'd say other, with more trippy abilities of unknown result and/or alignment. If we're working just off what we've been given so far, we don't really have much room left for doc/cop/vig without the game being dangerously unbalanced, unless trippy abilities feature.

MeMe: Here, have an April's fool block of cheese. It might make you feel better for being made a fool. And while your at it, will you kick yourself in the teeth so I don't have to?
I guess this should change now ¬_¬
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:42 am

Post by EmpTyger »

Aelyn:
Could the deadline rules be spelled out?

Also I’m hesitant to ask about something you seem to have deliberately left vague, but:
Aelyn [0] wrote:<snip>Seol (Grantaire, townie)
Changling bob [202] wrote:<snip>do we consider that there are several vanillas (there's at least one (Seol))<snip>
Does “townie” refer to alignment or role? In other words, should we assume Seol was a vanilla, or should we draw no inference? Or would you rather not say one way or the other?
[Apologies, since this does feel like it’s on the wrong side of metagaming, but I thought the point should be considered. Aelyn, if you would rather not answer, don’t.]

MeMe:
Forgive me, but do you have a sense of humor?

I’m not going to bother to defend myself since I can’t see anyone honestly using that as a true basis for their vote. Honestly, I would love to see who else uses this as an excuse to vote for me, but with the deadline that feels too risky an option.

All:
vikingfan informed that he would be away, and MeMe and I have been active. So prior to the deadline being imposed:

bob hadn’t posted in almost 5 days.
gootentag hadn’t posted in 2 days.
Krishna hadn’t posted in 4 days, but had posted repeatedly in another game.
LML hadn’t posted in 3 days, but had posted repeatedly in 5 other games.
Stoofer hadn’t posted in 2 days.

(Though it was the weekend, which might partially excuse gootentag and Stoofer.)

I am torn three-ways.
1) Self-preservation indicates that I should leave my vote on LML. (To say nothing of all that stuff from earlier.)
2) However, the lurking makes me wonder. Temporarily assuming LML to be innocent (as well as myself, requiring no assumption for *me*), could mafia be ducking because LML and I are innocent, and therefore see no reason to interject themselves? Of course, LML is one of the worst lurkers, but with the assumption that he is innocent, then Krishna’s absence might be significant.
3) MeMe’s last posts, as mentioned above, for which I can see no other explanation than her attempting to create suspicion of me out of nothing.

I see more reasons to leave my vote on LML than change it, so for now I will do that. (I suppose I could use FoSs but I don’t really care for them stylistically.)
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:50 am

Post by MeMe »

Changling bob wrote:MeMe: Here, have an April's fool block of cheese. It might make you feel better for being made a fool. And while your at it, will you kick yourself in the teeth so I don't have to?
Please read the post in which EmpTyger claims to be Thenardier: he claims. Then he fills out the rest of the post with questions and suspicions.

Now, I admit that I wavered for a minute when he claimed to be fooling -- but then I asked myself...

1) Would any good player (which EmpTyger definitely is) deliberately introduce confusion as a joke?
2) Would a "joke" claim contain detailed role mechanics?
3) Would a player who thought a joke was so funny that it was
worth
the confusion it would cause make the joke harder to spot by bundling actual game play in with the joke?

In my opinion, no to all of the above. I think this is a simple case of EmpTyger forgetting his earlier post. If he remembered what he'd said, why leave it to someone else to find the contradiction...thereby making it necessary for someone to vote him and make the joke
for
him? Seems he's banking an awful lot on someone else's detective skills. And what if everyone had just bought the claim without a blink? He would have been in the uncomfortable position of having to say..."um, hey -- that was a joke back there that nobody got. I'm not really Thenardier. Heh." You can disagree with me, Bob -- but buying it as a joke without giving it a second glance while disparaging the intelligence of someone who chooses to take every post seriously is extremely questionable for a pro-town player.

If I'm wrong, it's EmpTyger who should be getting abuse hurled at him for his reckless play. Regardless, I will probably avoid playing games with you, Bob, in future. Your comment was not only unnecessarily abusive, it totally neglected the fact that I have a pretty good mind and that I consider every post. My vote remains on EmpTyger because that's where I think it should be.

EmpTyger -- I find you saying that I'm trying to manufacture suspicion against you "out of nothing" when the source material is your own claim pretty funny. So, yes -- I've got a sense of humor.
LoudmouthLee
LoudmouthLee
Mafia Scum
LoudmouthLee
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:17 am

Post by LoudmouthLee »

Since I'm one of the "worst lurkers" according to Tyger... I thought I would introduce some math.

There are currently (not counting this one) 204 posts to the game. I am a proud owner of 36 of them. Lets do the math, shall we?

36/204 = around 18%

Now, If there are 10 players in the game (which there are NOT), it would be a safe assumption, posting equally, the percentage would be 10% across the board.

If there were only 5, 20% would be a more aporpos number.

Instead, 18% of posts belong to me. You're main focus on voting me has come from the following complaints:

I'll do this by complaint and answer:

1) I claimed a role, at first, and not my power.
Answer: True. If you're a good mafia player (which, in turn, I believe you are), you know that you MUST play certain roles differently. The role of being un-nightkillable ultimately leads me to an "untouchable" status, however, I was trying (near desperately) to have the Mafia waste a kill attempt on me. Seriously. Look back in the thread. You can easily see my mindset there.

2) I believed I knew who the mafia was. I didn't answer that right away.
Answer: Granted, Javert could STILL be mafia, however, giving my role, Cosette, such a power role, it got me to thinking exactly who tried to "bring Cosette down as far as possible". My answer was already posted. I am not dismissing the fact that there COULD be other possibilites for the Mafia. However, based on my knowledge of the book as well as my role, I can only assume that I was correct about my Mafia picks.

3) I'm a terrible, terrible lurker.
Answer: Granted, I didn't post here for 4 days. I hope my mathematics up top make you realize that, even though I was NOT posting, I was reading. I know that "lurking" is for the most part.. "bad", but Seriously, count the number of CB's posts. What then?

To be honest, I'm apt to believe that CB and Emptyger are both Mafia. That's just my take of it all.

So, with that,
Confirm Vote: EmpTyger
"LML = Mafia God" - Pie Is Good
"LML returns, plays one game, wins a Scummie, then leaves again!" - Primate
vikingfan
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:17 pm

Post by vikingfan »

I'll go with the EmpTyger route as well.

Vote EmpTyger
vikingfan
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:29 pm

Post by vikingfan »

Oops,
Unvote
Vote EmpTyger
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:31 pm

Post by EmpTyger »

Fine. I’ll bother to defend myself. I’ll get into a semantic discussion of humor under a deadline situation.

This is a game. It is supposed to be fun. I thought that I had the opportunity to do something which I believed would be obviously funny. I actually was afraid my joke was *too* obvious to be an effective April Fool’s joke. And, in humor, timing is everything. I figured the very next post would be someone saying “lol”. (Indeed, I almost wondered whether MeMe was “playing along” in [196], with the outside chance that she was trying to encourage someone to cast a vote using such dubious reasoning. I disregarded those possibilities after the deadline was imposed.) So I included a post’s worth of content in with the joke to give all readers a chance to wonder “wait, could he possibility be serious?”. (And also because I did have content to post, and didn’t want the flow of the game to be disrupted for an April Fool’s prank. Which it seems to have been.)

I still have a very hard time believing that MeMe believes that I was in the slightest way serious in claiming. First of all, it had generally been agreed by numerous players *including myself* that Thenardier was a likely antitown character. Maybe I chose Thenardier because I could think of no other claim which would be so obviously antitown? For the joke doesn’t work without someone obvious?

Second, the “detailed role mechanics” I gave myself clearly indicate that I was deliberately claiming an antitown character! Paraphrased, the abilities are to send a criminal gang after a targeted character (who happens to be the night 1 victim), and to show up as mafia when investigates, and to win when there was no town left. A by-the-book mafia role. Again, I was actually worried that it would be too obvious a prank- and had I spelled it out with less detailed claim, it would have been.

Third, why on earth would I just jump out unprompted and admit to being Thenardier if I were actually him? What purpose would it possibly have?

And as for “confusion”- what about it was confusing? MeMe, you’re the only person who seems to have admitted to any confusion, so would you like to elaborate? I think it’s straightforward. I feel that what I posted *on April 1* should have been obviously been a joke, which would run its course over the next few posts, and then after the laughter receded on 4/2 we’d get back to the game. I feel that MeMe has had to torturously consider some unlikely hypothetical situations to work this into a nefarious ploy. This paragraph in particular:
MeMe [204] wrote:<snip>In my opinion, no to all of the above. I think this is a simple case of EmpTyger forgetting his earlier post. If he remembered what he'd said, why leave it to someone else to find the contradiction...thereby making it necessary for someone to vote him and make the joke for him? Seems he's banking an awful lot on someone else's detective skills. And what if everyone had just bought the claim without a blink? He would have been in the uncomfortable position of having to say..."um, hey -- that was a joke back there that nobody got. I'm not really Thenardier. Heh." You can disagree with me, Bob -- but buying it as a joke without giving it a second glance while disparaging the intelligence of someone who chooses to take every post seriously is extremely questionable for a pro-town player.<snip>
Basically, I would have had to
1) forgotten a repeated conclusion- made at one point by myself.
2) assuming that, in a game of mafia, a game of *deduction*, people won’t use their deductive skills. (You’re wondering why I didn’t spell out the punchline? Because I felt- and still feel- it was unnecessary and made for more effective a joke if I didn’t.)
3) have some nefarious motive for doing this. The only one I can see is providing amusement. For the record, I think it was so funny that it was worth doing. I hope it doesn’t cost the game.
MeMe [204] wrote:<snip>And what if everyone had just bought the claim without a blink?<snip>
I would have been most disappointed in you.
I mean, when Taco Bell bought the Liberty Bell to balance the budget, I don’t think they were worried about people accepting it "without a blink".

bob:
I do want to say that I appreciate your defending me, but, in fairness, you did seem to stray a bit over the line in attacking MeMe.

vikingfan:
Could you clarify why you are voting for me?

LML:
I was not as concerned about bob, even though he had two extended absences: one he announced beforehand and during both he wasn’t active in other threads. I don’t really consider that kind of math for determining lurking- I don’t consider when you were posting, but rather when you *weren’t*. Timing is everything, as they say. I felt your silences were occurring at particularly harmful points for the town. I also feel (at still do) that while you address certain suspicions you deliberately are ignoring others.

However, I’ll admit I’m finding it harder to justify a vote on you. You could have used the “distraction” created by MeMe’s obsession over the April Fool’s to stray from substantive material, and yet you didn’t. I may regret this on Wed., if not Day 2, but
Unvote: LoudmouthLee

MeMe:
MeMe [204] wrote:<snip>Would any good player (which EmpTyger definitely is)<snip>
I accept your compliment of my skill. This is only my third game online, and even if it’s stated amid an accusation, I admit I feel a little honored by your estimation of me. Thank you.

Having said that,
Vote: MeMe
. You seem to be too good a player to be basing your vote on the logic you are using. Particularly since this conveniently distracting from my calling attention to you in [195] with this semantic analysis of a joke.

And also:
Since I feel there may be a good chance of my not surviving, I’ll reveal the observation I hinted at at the end of [195] while there may still be time to do something about it.

vikingfan confirmed that Eponine and Cosette exist. I found it odd that Cosette came forward while Eponine didn’t. In [183] I explained why I felt that 1 of {Enjolras, Marius, Cosette, Eponine} might be mafia. At the time I was thinking Cosette was likely antitown, partially based on LML’s behavior and partially since I felt coming forward was not the correct action for the situation.

In my April Fool's claim I omitted one detail otherwise typical for a mafia- I did not name any fellow mafia members. I did not for the same reason I did not announce this observation: because I realized that the most likely fellow mafia with Thernardier would be Eponine. And, as indicated elsewhere, I thought it best to not want discourage a potential antitown away from a potentially incriminating claim.

But I observed one statement:
MeMe [188] wrote:<snip>Stoofer's plan could only work IF the scum are roles that are generally considered innocent <snip> (e.g., if Stoofer thinks his role tells him that, say, Fantine and Eponine are scum).<snip>
Eponine? Aside from the second most prominent member of the Thenardier clan, she draws Marius into the barricade. She might very well be innocent, but I’d hardly label her so obviously not mafia. However, I thought at the time that MeMe might just be trying to draw out Eponine.

Since we have decided not to claim further today, and I can't be confident of surviving until tomorrow, and am currently suspicious of MeMe for other reasons, I have decided to present these observations.
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:39 pm

Post by EmpTyger »

For what it's worth, Krishna was just logged on, and clearly didn't post.
LordKrishna
LordKrishna
Townie
LordKrishna
Townie
Townie

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:41 pm

Post by LordKrishna »

Sorry I haven't been more active, but to be honest, much of the Mr. Stoofer-EmpTyger-gootentag discussion was lost on me, and I was just sort of waiting around to see it resolve. Then this April Fool's Day bombshell hit. At first, I thought EmpTyger ridiculously funny, but then I was wondering if he actually meant for the rest of the post to be taken seriously. Tyger, if you could let us know that, it might clear up MeMe's suspicion of you.

Bob, I'm afraid I agree with MeMe on this one -- you were a bit harsh in your wording (though I, too, was surprised when she took it seriously -- I had thought she was merely playing along with Tyger's joke in her post voting for him).

LoudmouthLee's defense of his actions seem to make sense to me, and I don't really find him very suspicious, and "The Wacky Mason Show," starring vikingfan as Marius and ChanglingBob as Enjolras seems to be a reasonable thing now, with the proviso that their powers might not be all useful (Aelyn, you are a tricky Mod indeed!).

The real contention in this game at present seems to be MeMe vs. EmpTyger. I agree that both of them are very good players, and it seems that if one is innocent, then the other is likely scum. The only question is if MeMe is actually the Mafia, starting a bandwagon on EmpTyger for his (admittedly funny, though a bit ill-advised) "joke" post-that-was-only-half-a-joke, or if she's right, and EmpTyger just tried to psych us out for bits & giggles...

This, I'll admit, does seem ludicrous to me, that EmpTyger would go out of his way to tell the truth about his scumminess, then claim it was an April Fool's gag, in an effort to make himself less suspicous -- I think, that at BEST, it could only have made us all laugh, and treat him exactly the same. Still, I do think EmpTyger the most likely candidate for me at present, so I'd like him to explain why he posted the way he did.

In general, let's not try to insult each other (That happened in the other game, and explains, in part, why I posted so much there -- the last two days were filled with insults flying around). I'd rather not that happen here too, as it seems you are all better players than in the other one...

-K
LoudmouthLee wrote:Since I'm one of the "worst lurkers" according to Tyger... I thought I would introduce some math.

There are currently (not counting this one) 204 posts to the game. I am a proud owner of 36 of them. Lets do the math, shall we?

36/204 = around 18%

Now, If there are 10 players in the game (which there are NOT), it would be a safe assumption, posting equally, the percentage would be 10% across the board.

If there were only 5, 20% would be a more aporpos number.

Instead, 18% of posts belong to me. You're main focus on voting me has come from the following complaints:

I'll do this by complaint and answer:

1) I claimed a role, at first, and not my power.
Answer: True. If you're a good mafia player (which, in turn, I believe you are), you know that you MUST play certain roles differently. The role of being un-nightkillable ultimately leads me to an "untouchable" status, however, I was trying (near desperately) to have the Mafia waste a kill attempt on me. Seriously. Look back in the thread. You can easily see my mindset there.

2) I believed I knew who the mafia was. I didn't answer that right away.
Answer: Granted, Javert could STILL be mafia, however, giving my role, Cosette, such a power role, it got me to thinking exactly who tried to "bring Cosette down as far as possible". My answer was already posted. I am not dismissing the fact that there COULD be other possibilites for the Mafia. However, based on my knowledge of the book as well as my role, I can only assume that I was correct about my Mafia picks.

3) I'm a terrible, terrible lurker.
Answer: Granted, I didn't post here for 4 days. I hope my mathematics up top make you realize that, even though I was NOT posting, I was reading. I know that "lurking" is for the most part.. "bad", but Seriously, count the number of CB's posts. What then?

To be honest, I'm apt to believe that CB and Emptyger are both Mafia. That's just my take of it all.

So, with that,
Confirm Vote: EmpTyger
LordKrishna
LordKrishna
Townie
LordKrishna
Townie
Townie

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:43 pm

Post by LordKrishna »

EmpTyger wrote:For what it's worth, Krishna was just logged on, and clearly didn't post.
<smile> I was just reallly slow... sorry.
Will read your above post now and post again. Feel free to expect my response in a few hours. <GRIN>

-K
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #212 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:52 pm

Post by EmpTyger »

LordKrishna [211] wrote:
EmpTyger wrote:For what it's worth, Krishna was just logged on, and clearly didn't post.
<smile> I was just reallly slow... sorry.
Will read your above post now and post again. Feel free to expect my response in a few hours. <GRIN>

-K
Sorry about that. Yay crossposting :)
LordKrishna [210] wrote:At first, I thought EmpTyger ridiculously funny, but then I was wondering if he actually meant for the rest of the post to be taken seriously. Tyger, if you could let us know that, it might clear up MeMe's suspicion of you.
The first paragraph of [195] was the joke. (The one which begins, "Well, this is silly-".)
The rest of [195] was serious.
LoudmouthLee
LoudmouthLee
Mafia Scum
LoudmouthLee
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #213 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:59 pm

Post by LoudmouthLee »

So, Emp... Give me your rationale behind the vote of MeMe besides OMGUS.
"LML = Mafia God" - Pie Is Good
"LML returns, plays one game, wins a Scummie, then leaves again!" - Primate
LordKrishna
LordKrishna
Townie
LordKrishna
Townie
Townie

Post Post #214 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:59 pm

Post by LordKrishna »

EmpTyger's reasons seem sound to me. The observation about Eponine is duly noted, and MeMe did, in addition to this, try very hard to make Cosette seem like the Anti-Christ in a post directed at LML at some point (too late to refer to the number just now, but in it, she basically threw out a litany of literary reasons why Cosette is hardly a "Good Guy"). Her reading may be valid, but I do recall that at the time, I thought it was a little obsessive. I agree that while Cosette is not particularly bright, or good, or anything, that's more a flaw of Romantic literature (which routinely under-emphasizes positive attributes of its female characters) than of Cosette herself. I think her worst flaw is simply being a rather uninteresting character, apart from her horrid luck, not of deliberately leading others to their doom.

The only reason I bring this up now is that I suppose that what EmpTyger is really suggesting that Eponine is Mafia, and that MeMe is Eponine. If she were, it would make sense for her to try to discredit Cosette, while also planting seeds that suggest Eponine is innocent.

Easy way to test this hypothesis (assuming vikingfan's power works as we seem to think it does): vikingfan sends MeMe to look for Cosette (if it comes back with a result, she is Eponine. If it comes back with the result that LML is really Cosette, even better).

If vikingfan's killed overnight, we'll know we were on the right track...

-K
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #215 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:34 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Unvote
just to be safe and
Vote: EmpTyger

I don't know what to make of his "April Fool's joke". Even ignoring his "claim" I am content with this vote. I find post 208 particularly scummy.
Aelyn
Aelyn
Goon
Aelyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #216 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:59 pm

Post by Aelyn »

Shortly after Monsieur Hugo announced that, due to the quietness, he would simply take popular opinion and enforce it with his sabre in half an hour, discussion in the town swells appreciably. It's almost like people didn't want to cause the death of someone based on three people's say-so!

Votecount:

LoudmouthLee - 1 (Changling Bob)
Emptyger
- 4 (LoudmouthLee, MeMe, vikingfan, Mr Stoofer)
MeMe - 1 (Emptyger)

8 alive, 5 to lynch. As always, alert me if there is an error - preferably by PM.

Regarding the deadline: If, by 4pm GMT Wednesday, I feel there has been an appropriate amount of discussion, the deadline will be rescinded. Otherwise, half the regular number of voters will be required to lynch. It's as simple as that. And may I just say, if you continue the way you have been it will be removed.

Regarding role knowledge: I will state a simplified version of the role. I will not state sanities, potential drawbacks or bonuses, or any interactions that may exist. But I will state what the role is, and if it has unusual abilities, I will at least hint at their existence. Seol was a townie by role - he had no abilities.
Last edited by Aelyn on Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #217 (ISO) » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:29 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

I didn't realise my vote would put EmpyTger one away from a lynch.
unvote
to give him one last chance to do a non-April Fool's claim. But I will put the vote back on unless it's a good one.
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #218 (ISO) » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:18 pm

Post by EmpTyger »

Well, I have a funny feeling about what’s happening- but I with effectively 4 votes on me I have no choice but to claim. So here it is. I’m Thenardier. Once per night I can target another player and have the Patron-Minette rob them. Last night I targeted Seol, but he didn’t have anything of value on him. I have an unusual win condition: I win when I’m the only one who possesses any valuables. Since my role is rather powerful, to balance it out I appear as mafia when investigated...
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #219 (ISO) » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:21 pm

Post by EmpTyger »

<checks calendar>
Oh, wait. Nevermind.

[I’m terribly sorry, but I *still* maintain that it’s hilarious. :D
Besides, I think all the humorless folk are already voting for me, so why not seize an encore?]

Seriously now:

I am *not* Thenardier.
I do *not* rob people.
I did *not* target Seol last night.
I win when *mafia* are eliminated.
I have *no* idea how I appear when investigated.

Who am I? I’m Jean Valjean. I’m a doctor- each night I can choose someone to try to save. (If it winds up mattering on a future day, I targeted bob last night.)

LML:
LoudmouthLee [213] wrote:So, Emp... Give me your rationale behind the vote of MeMe besides OMGUS.
Um, if my motive were OMGUS, I’d have just left my vote on you...
I’ve mentioned all my reasons before, but if you want them neatly compiled:

1) She tries to get Stoofer to reveal who he thinks the mafia is. Despite gootentag showing this to be a bad idea- and Stoofer admitting that it was a bad idea- and MeMe herself, in a similar situation in [14], stating that the similar situation would be a bad idea.
2) When I bring attention to this, she focuses attention onto my *obvious* April Fool’s joke. The entire Stoofer-gootentag discussion, and pretty much everything else, is dropped, convenient before attention can be called to the bottom 90% of [195].
3) She seemed to be playing along [199], but then as soon as the deadline hits, decides that the explanation must be that I honestly admitted to being mafia [201]. And she turns all discussion to the evaluation of a joke which has nothing to do with the game.
4) I personally don’t see how she can honestly find a sinister motive in my making a joke, and her efforts to do so seem much more convoluted and illogical reasoning than her posts earlier in the game used. The best she’s given is to “create confusion”, yet most of the confusion stems from her crying mafia.
5) She proposed Eponine as an example of a “non-scummy role”. Explained further in [208]. Not much on its own, but it’s one more thing.

vikingfan:
Could you explain why you’re voting me?

Stoofer:
Could you explain what part of [208] is “particularly scummy”?

[Aelyn: I had trouble reaching the site today- some “domain not renewed” error? Could you be sensitive to that when considering the deadline?]
vikingfan
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #220 (ISO) » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:03 pm

Post by vikingfan »

Well, I'm back.

As for why I'm voting you, it's pretty much all the points already made. Plus, why the heck are you FIRST claiming Thenardier, and then claiming Valjean? Why not just make one claim?

I'm not clear on MeMe either-but she can live for another day. If, however, you are scum, then that indicates to me that she's semi-clear-in a game this small, it's not likely that someone would deliberately sacrifice a mafia partner.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #221 (ISO) » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:44 pm

Post by MeMe »

EmpTyger is so drippily scummy that it's incredible to me that he's not been lynched yet.

Please vote him.
gootentag
gootentag
Goon
gootentag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #222 (ISO) » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:21 pm

Post by gootentag »

While I agree that EmpTyger indeed looks pretty bad after the Thenardier claim, I think the Valjean claim can't be ignored either.
I also am interested in hearing from Mr. Stoofer in particular about both claims
- after all, he's the one who claims to have the inside track on who the scum roles are. Particularly if he nails Valjean as potentially scum.

My guess right now is that EmpTyger is possibly Valjean, is scum, and the actual ruse was the Thenardier claim. In light of Mr. Stoofers statements, perhaps he thought there was a snowball's chance in hell he could get away with Thenardier as it seems highly unlikely that anyone would refute it and Stoofer may be able to back it up if the Thenardiers are not the scum roles he seems to be aware of.

Major FOS: EmpTyger
gootentag
gootentag
Goon
gootentag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #223 (ISO) » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:23 pm

Post by gootentag »

[Aelyn: I had trouble reaching the site today- some “domain not renewed” error? Could you be sensitive to that when considering the deadline?]
I ran into this as well. At this point, I don't think the deadline will be much of an issue, however.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #224 (ISO) » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:42 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

gootentag wrote:While I agree that EmpTyger indeed looks pretty bad after the Thenardier claim, I think the Valjean claim can't be ignored either.
I also am interested in hearing from Mr. Stoofer in particular about both claims
- after all, he's the one who claims to have the inside track on who the scum roles are. Particularly if he nails Valjean as potentially scum.
Sorry but Valjean is not the scum group identified in my role PM, although he could be an SK, although the consensus seems to be that it is unlikely that there is more than one killing group. But I find EmpTyger's doctor claim really troubling. I want him to explain the theme justification for him being a doctor. Aleyn's role PM's are never as simple as "you are the doctor".
Emptyger wrote:Stoofer: Could you explain what part of [208] is “particularly scummy”?
It was the post as a whole, but I particulalrly didn't like the way you were flinging around semi-confident assertions about who the mafia were.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”